Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Detroit Water Shutoffs

V

Vic Rattlehead

DETROIT — At least 300 demonstrators marched through downtown streets on Friday, protesting a move by the city’s Water Department to force tens of thousands of delinquent customers to pay up or face a cutoff in service. From the Cobo Center to Hart Plaza on the banks of the Detroit River, protesters chanted, “Fight, fight; water is a human right.” Others carried placards that read “Thirsty for Justice.”

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Department began cracking down on accounts in March. The number of delinquencies swelled over the winter when the department, fearing frozen pipes, continued to provide service to customers with past due accounts. From March to June 30, the department interrupted service to 15,200 customers, said Greg Eno, a department spokesman. About 92,000 customers are at risk of having service cut off, meaning they are at least 60 days past due or more than $150 behind.

More of the story here http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/19/us/protesters-picket-detroit-over-move-to-shut-off-water.html?_r=0

I'm somewhat conflicted with this. On one hand from what I understand this is mostly affecting poor people, but on the other you have to pay your bills. I know times are rough, but at the same time you have to pay your bills. What I find funny is left pages on Facebook like Ayn Rand collected Social Security way water is a human right. So what should the government pay for everything? To me raising the minimum wage would help solve this problem, putting more money in people's pockets. I mean the costs of living are increasing, yet our federal minimum wage has yet to match the cost of living.

Back
Top Bottom