Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

City Girl Turns Country [Traveler/Vampire07]

The horses made a lot of noise that got her attention. Looking over to see John and it made her smile but as she was about to greet him he let her know the news. "Oh...Hold on just a second." She rushed inside and grabbed her cell phone and looked at him as she walked out. "I guess I missed the call." Looking up at him bit worried as she only had a rifle and handling it in a closed in area was difficult. Though she knew her phone call to Aunt Mae was cut short and something told her to do something for her.

Reaching out as she wrapped her arm around John and lead him to the pasture. "I called your Aunt and I have a feeling I may have offended her. But I had people coming over." Taking him to the pasture letting him see the mare with the tiny new foal wandering around. "Here she is with her new companion." Laughing softly as she looked out at the pair with her arm wrapped around his own. "I found the two quarters a home but they wanted them snipped." Her hand ran over his strong arm as she turned to face him. "Also I hope you don't think of me being to forward on inviting you and your Aunt over for dinner tonight. To make up the short phone call this afternoon. And I wanted to ask if you be here when the boys are here to do some work. We came to an agreement instead of money I'd take winter hay and some labor work but I don't want to be here alone when the two are over here..." Her voice was soft as she literally saw him as her protector.

The easy way she strung her arm through his was nice. He walked with her over to the fence and watched the foal as it frolicked in the sunshine. He looked down into her big, liquid eyes as she asked him to be there when the boys came over to do work.

"Of course... and if I can't be here, Aunt Mae might be able to sit a spell with you." He smiled at her. I can get the boys done pretty quick; maybe a couple of hours if you want to have it done today. And I'm sure that Aunt Mae would love to have dinner over here... if it's not an imposition. She's been asking me about you anyways." He grinned and then looked out at the stallions.

"Well, if you're pretty sure that you want to have the boys taken care of I'll just get you some papers to sign and we'll be on our way. Sound good?"

Blushing as it seemed his Aunt had been asking about her. "I'd love to have you two over here for dinner. But yes, I want the boys fixed they'd be easier to ride when their minds aren't on a nice piece of tail." Winking at John as she thought about the time. "How about dinner tonight? I have fresh bread baking and a whole chicken being smoked in the back. How about this..." She ran her fingers over his arm as she settled against the fence.

The foal nickered softly as it pranced over but Diamond answered the tiny foal's call. "As I was saying.." Laughing softly as she ran her hand over the tiny ears. "I'll be your last client of this evening. Take it any way you like." Her cheeks turned red as she knew that sounded bit sexual but she liked him. "Also perhaps I can work down at your clinic to work off the bill? I imagine your Aunt would like some time off from time to time."

He watched her as her finger danced over his arm, trying to decide if she was simply flirting or if she was trying to sweet talk him into something that he didn't want to do, like all of her vet care for free. Dinner sounded good, though, and it had been a long time since he'd had something that wasn't made by his aunt.

"It would be really nice," he admitted as he thought over her offer to help at the clinic. "Both dinner and having you work at the clinic. You really handled yourself well last week." He smiled at her and began to walk back towards his truck. "I'll tell you what; you call Aunt Mae and let her know, and I'll get started on gelding those two boys. Hopefully we'll have that all tied up and done by the time the sun thinks about setting."

John tried not to respond to the sexual undertones of her comment earlier. It was tough not to think about sexuality when she as looking at him and smiling though. She was extremely pretty when she wasn't mad at you.

Nodding as she dialed the clinic's number. "Aunt Mae? I'm sorry for the short phone call earlier but how about you come over for dinner tonight? I've got fresh bread and smoked chicken going." She smiled as she walked to the house then slipped inside as she removed her boots and looked at her ankle. "Like I said I'm sorry for the short call earlier but I had a couple of boys coming over to look at the Quarter horses. We had to discuss if they were serious then do they want them intact or have their minds shifted to grass. Oh bring anyone else you'd like I am making plenty for dinner."

Walking back to the kitchen as she pulled some warm butter out and added bit of herbs to it. "Besides...I'd LOVE that recipe to your pumpkin bread. I...um...Devoured it within 2 days." She laughed softly.

Aunt Mae was pleased as punch to be invited to dinner, and she promised to bring the recipe for pumpkin bread to Lillian's that evening. She asked after her ankle and how she was doing... wondering as well about her recovery from what the Michaelson boys had done to her but too polite to ask. It was foremost on her mind, though. A woman didn't usually go through such a horrible ordeal and not be affected in some way.

Out in the front John had haltered the first of his two patients and hitched him in a shady spot. He got the other as well and walked him over to a soft, clean spot on the lawn near his truck. Once he was given some feel-good juice he'd be nothing but a big, strong, mess. The hardest part about this was if the horse reacted poorly to the anesthesia, but John had lots of practice handling drunk horses. The huge thoroughbred went down easily and the vet was able to tie off his legs to keep them out of the way. A few quick shots around the area, some precise cuts, and his reproductive hormonal sacs were in a throw-away bag. John untied the gelding's legs and did a quick physical while he was still feeling woozy, then made a few notes as he waited for the beast to wake up and try to stand.

It really was like watching a drunk horse. John always though that there was no such thing as a graceful wake from sleepy-time shots, but he always got a kick over how goofy the big guys were. Once that horse was done he led it to a paddock to rest and drink, and then started on the other one.

As he was working on stallion number two the sheriff pulled up into the driveway. "Hey there Tanner!"

John raised his hand in greeting as he waited for the horse to lay down. The sheriff walked over to him and watched the horse weave and wobble until he laid down.

"That never gets old, does it?" He took off his wide-brimmed hat and wiped a kerchief across his shiny, balding forehead. "Hey... is Ms Cruz around?"

The vet nodded. "She's in the house. What's going on? Is it the Michealsons?"

"Yeah..." He shook his head. "Yeah... they're saying it wasn't rape. They're saying it was consensual 'role-playing', and they have tapes of Ms Cruz engaging in similar types of, ah... activities to prove it." He sighed. "She's gonna need herself a lawyer, I think. So are you."

"Me? Why am I gonna need a lawyer?" John's face was a mask of confusion.

"Well... the boys said that you fouled their reputation by exposing their private preferences to the community." Sheriff shrugged. "I know it's crazy, Doc, but they've got themselves a fancy lawyer from the city and everything. It's a circus. Oh.... and they issued a restraining order against you."

John took the form and stared at it. "This is complete bullshit."

"I know... but I'm going to have to take your gun." He held out his hand. "Sorry Doc."

He sighed but he pulled up his shirt on the right side, revealing a pistol tucked in a holster under his waistband. "Take care of it Sheriff. I'm going to want it back."

Lillian was talking to Aunt Mae and noticed the Sheriff there. "Aunt Mae the Sheriff is here and John doesn't look to happy....I'll call you back." Getting up as she walked outside in time to see the gun being taken away. "Whats going on here?" She asked as she looked at the men to hear the brothers say it was consensual sex she had. Her face went pale at this and felt sick that there was so called tapes of her.

"Officer, I never done any type of tape nor did I consent to being raped and left there. Even the doctors confirmed I was raped." She was gritting her teeth at this point. Her heart ached now as tears weld up in the corner of her eyes and slowly they started rolling down her cheeks. "I was raped god damn it and I have evidence to support that." Her voice was growing weaker as she was starting to feel like her world was slipping away. Her vision was getting blurry as she reached out to grab the post and nearly missed. The second try she grasped it tightly as tears blurred her vision. Her entire body trembled as she blinked her eyes several times trying to clear her vision. Though she was wanting to scream at the top of her lungs it was rape but her lips parted and nothing came out as she collapsed to her knees just trembling.

John went down to catch Lillian as she began to fall. She seemed to be in some kind of shock, which was completely understandable. He completely forgot about the stallion unconscious on the ground. His entire focus was on her.

"Sheriff, will you watch the stallion? I've got to -" He lifted her up into his strong arms and carried her like a bride towards her house.

"Yeah, of course, Doc." The sheriff felt badly about the fainting rancher woman and the restraining order. The least he could do was watch the horse and make sure that it got up okay. He'd done his fair share in the rodeo ring; he could handle a drunk horse.

John carried Lillian inside and laid her on her couch. "It's going to be alright, Ms Cruz." He took a moment to check her eyes and her breathing. "I'm going to make you some tea and ask Aunt Mae to come over earlier, okay? We'll figure something out for this thing with the Michaelsons. They can't be so stupid to try to pull that crap out here; we all know each other. They won't get away with it."

Lillian clung to John as he picked her up. His words were lost to her as her mind was racing on what to do now. Were they trying to get her to come out in the open about who she was? Or just playing a scare tactic? Finally she looked up at John and gave him a gentle nod to the idea of his Aunt being there early. Though when John turned away she felt like she was suddenly going to be sick. Leaping up and jumping over the table she rushed to the small washroom and slammed the door shut.

Moments passed with the toilet flushing and she walked out, after washing her mouth out with mouthwash. She was paler than a ghost at this point. Taking her time as she sat down at the couch. "I am hoping this is a scare tactic from those idiots. I have heard they done the same to other women but none pressed charges." Trembling as she took the cup of tea from him and held it in her clutched hands while she looked at the dark liquid. Though something dawned on her. "Wait...John when did you start carrying a gun? I don't remember you ever wearing one when we met."

He was concerned when she dashed off to the bathroom, but in seconds the sounds confirmed what he thought. The very idea of what the brothers were doing sickened her. It sickened him as well.

John heated water for her in the small kitchen she had and waited for her to be done. "The Michaelsons are idiots, but they're not stupid. They wouldn't say that they had video unless they were certain that they did. Is there any chance that someone, an ex-boyfriend, maybe, might have secretly taped you?" He frowned as he set a tea bag in a mug and poured water over it. He handed Lillian the cup.

"I've always carried a gun, I just don't always reveal it." He shrugged. "I didn't use it in the barn because I didn't know if anyone was outside, and I wasn't convinced at the time that they should have died for what they did." He rubbed his chin with his thumb and forefinger. "I'm beginning to have second thoughts on that though."

John prepared a cup of tea for himself as well. "I should tell you something, Ms Cruz. I don't know how you'll feel about this, but you should know." He drew in a breath and leaned against the counter so he could look at her as he steeped the tea bag. "The Michaelsons are my half-brothers. Their father raped my mother." He dropped his gaze. "She killed herself when I was four. A week later their dad's truck went over the ravine - faulty brake wires or something, but I always thought that Uncle Dean had something to do with it. He was Aunt Mae's late husband. Anyway... I... feel like this is my fault. I should have never put their number on that list of handy-men. I'm really sorry. I thought that they had put their wild ways behind them."

He brought his eyes up to look at Lillian. "I don't know how I can ever make it up to you, but I'll do whatever it takes to prove how sorry I am for my part in this."

Upon hearing this she set the mug down and walked over to him. In silence she took his own mug and put it aside while she wrapped her arms around his neck. "Its not your fault and its not anyone's fault." She pulled back as she cupped his cheek while she looked up into his eyes. An idea hit her as she knew her running had to end and there was one step she could take. Handing his mug back to him as she walked to the couch.

"Is the Sheriff still out there? I imagine the brothers are trying to remove you from being around me if they decide for another ride. I would think step one is to put a restraining order on all three so they stay away from me. As for an video...." She turned red. "I don't think so but I haven't really been with a man since I was in my junior year. So I imagine that there may be an old video since my taste in men back then had a boy's mentality of collecting trophies." She hung her head as he felt ashamed for being related to the men who took advantage of her yet for her she felt ashamed she may have been caught on tape. "But I won't back down just because they think they have a video. I always had sex in the dark and it was always missionary back then. What you saw in the barn....That was my first taste of sex outside the bedroom and dealing with ropes."

When she walked up to him, John fully expected her to slug him, or at the least slap him, but her sweet embrace and the way she looked at him and accepted his apology melted his fears away. "The sheriff is gone, but we can go down to the sheriffs' station and file the order. We also need to think about lawyers," he said, trying to think if there were any that he trusted in the area.

Her confession about her sexual experience threw him off guard. She seemed like she was a sophisticated kind of woman; someone worldly and experienced. But it seemed like she had lived rather tame life, intimacy wise. "Well, even if you had been wilder in the bedroom or preferred such things it wouldn't mean that you consented to the rape. There's a lot of difference between consensual playing in the bedroom and real rape. Safe words, for instance. You'd have set up a safe word so either person could stop the playing if it got too rough or too painful -" He stopped and blushed, then ran a hand through his hair.

"I mean... that's what I heard." John cleared his throat. "Oh - I left your other stud out there. I'd better check on him, and then if you'd like we can go down and file that restraining order before dinner."

When he just went on about the sexual world, she looked at him with wide eyes and her face was red. She didn't know what to say but she imagined her look made him stop and realize what he was saying. Nervously laughing as she really couldn't be mad at him for something he can't control, example he was the result of a rape.

"Well I can say this for sure....I'm glad I'm on birth control. I'm not against having a child but right now in our young lives-" She stopped knowing it sounded so wrong. "I mean us being young in our 20s its still to early to bring a tiny life form in." She felt like a teenage girl whose tongue gets tied when she talks to her crush. "Oh boy..." Muttered as she ran her hands over her face with him telling her of going down there later on to file.

"I have dinner to prepare and I'd like you to check on the quarter horses to make sure they aren't to tender. I do have to make a call in private though...." She needed to get all of her ducks in a row if the Brothers intended to play ball.

"Sure," he walked out of the house and dialed Aunt Mae. Soon she was on her way to the ranch to pick up Lillian. John was able to get the second stallion gelded and back to this paddock to recuperate. Then, since Lillian was still inside, he watered and fed the other horses. His mare led her filly up to the fence and let him touch the tiny thing before prancing off like a four-legged tease.

Aunt Mae showed up and gave Lillian a big hug. "Don't worry, Lilly dear. We won't let those bastards get us down, will we?" She smiled but there was loving fire in her eyes and voice. She looked over at John, his body flushed from the hard work and looking slightly dirty. "You need to go get washed up before dinner. Can't ever keep that boy out of the dirt. I'll take Lillian down to the courthouse." She opened up her purse and handed him another pistol, stock first. "Just in case," she said, patting his holster. "You can never be too sure around the Michaelson clan."

"Yes Ma'am," John answered. He slid the pistol in and covered it with his t-shirt and it completely disappeared. "Alright, I'll take a shower and check on the clinic." He looked at Lillian. "See you tonight."

Walking to Aunt Mae's truck she stopped to look at him. "You know where the rifle is in case you need some distance." Since the incident she moved the gun on the wall beside the door for easy access. With Aunt Mae driving Lillian was in beside her and of course she engaged in small chit chat. There was a sensitive subject and Lillian knew what it was on John being related by blood. Lillian didn't say a word since she's like John to tell his Aunt he told her his family's secret. It took bit of fighting to get a restraining order in place as the officers refused saying its a hit for tat until Lillian called her lawyer and put it on speaker phone.

"If you don't give her an restraining order or a protective order I will come down there and drag your ass behind my truck!" The woman was loud and the once city accent gave way to her country accent. After that outburst the restraining order was set up and Lillian was given a copy and so was Aunt Mae as back up. Smiling the women went out to shop for the pumpkin bread so Lillian could make it that night. After returning Lillian let Aunt Mae fill John in while she went to make the loaves of pumpkin bread in small manageable sizes. When John slipped inside from the help Lillian did steal some glances at him then dinner was served.

The rest of the week was eventful as the Brothers tried to get on the property, the teenage boys caught them sneaking around the house, even Lillian shot their headlight out when they were sneaking their way down the drive way at night. Word gotten around that the Michaelsons Boys had it out for Lillian and the woman wasn't backing down. It got to the point those who traveled down her street noticed the boys sitting in front of her house, they'd call the cops. Though one day Lillian was helping on tearing her porch up and there was an rusted box there. She was about to reach down when she heard hissing and a rattling down which made her withdraw. The boy called his friend over as Lillian was removed from the torn up porch to see another box. The boys soon killed the large rattlesnakes and looked under the house seeing there was no other snakes there. To make sure they closed it up then return to repairing the porch. Lillian took the two heavy boxes inside and dropped them on the table. Tomorrow was the trial and she was sick to her stomach. "Did you two put up jum-"

"Yes ma'am. I think you should try it out. We made it where a slight hit will make the beam fall! We recycled the timber but made sure its treated!" The red headed boy beamed and Lillian hugged his sweaty form. "Ummm."

"That's a thank you and nothing more. Got it?" she asked with a smile and he nodded while she took off to get Diamond who glided over the embedded beams to get her footing just right. It was like this for a whole day but when morning came Lillian was trembling that she called Aunt Mae to pick her up. To her Aunt Mae became one other person she'd call upon for help since she's a woman and she can understand without explaining in detail.

Aunt Mae and John arrived early that morning to pick her up, both of them having barely slept a wink the night before. John gave Lillian a warm cinnamon role and a travel mug with hot chocolate in it. "For the nerves; nothing beats comfort food before going into a fight," he said, opening the front passenger door for her. "Besides, Aunt Mae's cooking has a bit of magic in it."

The past week had been interesting. He worked with the mare while the boys built jumps for Lillian, and he helped a few farmers out with their livestock, but for the most part it was quiet. He would have liked to smack the Michaelsons' heads together a few times, but his restraining order prohibited it. Besides, he didn't want anyone finding out that he was carrying 'illegally' unless it got to a life or death issue. Thankfully that never happened.

That morning he was dressed in a brown suit with a bolo tie and a matching cowboy hat. He was every part the country doctor going to court. The courtroom looked packed; once they got through the metal detectors they saw that nearly everyone who was anyone in town had shown up.

Sitting up front as she couldn't help but notice how good he looked in a suit. More than likely his Aunt saw her flushing cheeks but said nothing perhaps it was fun to watch her Nephew walk right into it or he may get it when another gentlemen snatches her up. Lillian was in a skirt with a blue blouse as around her neck was a nice emerald necklace. Lillian wasn't up to eating but she managed to eat some of the cinnamon bon with her sipping the hot chocolate. Arriving at the courthouse she walked through with her lawyer and she was shocked to see the entire town turned out. Lillian whispered to Donna when they sat. "I didn't expect this!"

"Calm down, from what I heard these boys have a habit of cornering women, raping and scaring them. From what I know their father done this for decades even to teenage girls." Donna was slender blonde woman whose stature suggests she was a rodeo rider and a farm girl. Donna smiled as the court asked who was called first. "I call Lillian Cruz to the stand. Time to clear up this mess anyways." Donna had to act rash or rough on Lillian in front of the court.

Lillian got up and took the stand and she saw the boys glaring at her but they had this smugness about this. The court was quiet as the doors opened and closed silently. In the back Lillian's brother and old boyfriend stood way in the back. Donna went on to ask for Lillian's full name. "Lillian Elizabeth Cruz." Donna stopped in her tracks and smiled sweetly. "Is that your answer?" Lillian trembled as she knew this hard treatment was needed. "My birth name is Lillian Elizabeth Stone. I am the daughter of the Stones who has dominated just about the Equine world."

"Why change your last name? Are you running?" Donna asked as she looked through her notes. Lillian sat there and told why she took an old family name. "So you don't want special treatment because you're wealthy or from a very wealthy family. You...from the interviews I've done..." She turned nodding to those in the first row. "You hired and worked beside the workers and they taught you how to...Swing a hammer." Donna smirked as Lillian glared at her with the courtroom roaring in chuckles. The trial went on back and forth as there was photos of Lillian shown as the top rider and her past lovers came forward. All four said she wouldn't allow a camera in her bedroom if they grabbed for their cellphones she'd knock it out of their hands.

"So there is no sex tape...Interesting. Perhaps the lastest conquest does. Mister Leon Florence, come to the stand." Leon was a tall tanned young man with black hair and the deepest brown eyes. He was John's size in stature and muscle mass. "My my my! Mr. Florence you are a looker." Donna admitted openly in court as some women were swooning. "How long was your relationship or are you still in a relationship with Miss Cruz?" Leon pulled the imfamous blue rose from his coat and held it between his fingers.

"We were dating for a year after she left college. We never fulfilled that part of the relationship. She left before we can go further and I had hoped I'd propose to her before we became sexual." His accent was a southern from New Orleans.

Donna was done and the Brother's Lawyer took over. "This doesn't add up. You seem a well put together young man that any woman would kill to sleep with. Yet you're saying she never presented herself to you?"

"No sir. She's always been this modest and reserved. When I did make a pass at her she pushed me away stating she wasn't the type to jump into a man's bed." Leon may be the possessive type but no man or men will ruin Lillian unless it was him who drained her and broke her to be the perfect wife. The plan was set in motion as Lillian was allowing him to get closer then she said it was over then disappeared without a trace. Even her parents wouldn't tell him where she was and her brother didn't know either. It seemed the attorney and Lillian's parents knew where she was.

John hadn’t really noticed Lillian’s lawyer before, but he was instantly torn between having a boyish crush on her and being afraid of her. Everything about the lawyer screamed “I have a vagina and I’m not afraid to use it!” But with a pleasant, Southern drawl. His own lawyer was an older man, quiet and soft-spoken in a way that reminded most people of Detective Colombo from the 1970’S. Peter Falk was always the guy that John thought of when he talked to Mr. Kiley. They even resembled each other.

The doctor sat with his lawyer and watched as Lillian was put on the stand by her attorney. It surprised him that Lillian mentioned the fact that her family had dominated the equine world. His own attorney had told him to answer ‘yes’ and ‘no’, and only to elaborate if asked, but to give the smallest answer he could, so as not to sway the jury against him. He watched as it seemed like the lawyer was deliberately putting down her client, but then he realized that what she was doing was playing the jury’s thoughts against themselves. She was making their worst thoughts into a joke to make Lillian more likeable.

Interesting.

John found that he didn’t like any of Lillian’s prior boyfriends. They all seemed too… GQ. Too fake and metrosexual, not anyone who would stand by her and do the hard work that needed to be done. When it came time to meet her latest boyfriend John liked Leon Florence even less, if that was possible. He thought that the man seemed oily from the inside out, like a used car salesman selling cars he didn’t even own.

The doctor found himself fidgeting with the pencil in his hand and he laid it down. His lawyer passed a pad of paper to him with a question on it. “Are you sleeping with her?”

John glared at Mr. Kiley and shook his head. Where had that question even come from?

“Then stop sending eye daggers at her ex.” Wrote Richard Kiley. “She’s not your girlfriend.”

Lillian and Donna had noticed John and his own Lawyer pushing the pad around but it was Donna who noticed what was written. Donna turned whispering to Lillian who in turn shook her head. Lillian's hand went to her mouth as if to hide a yawn but mouthed the word "No" to Donna.

Donna reached over and wrote on Richard's pad: "I didn't think of this. Thank you, Sug."

The trial went on and the jury were out of town folk but that didn't stop small talk from getting to them about who was who. After a short recess it was John and the Michaelson brothers turn. The Michaelson's lawyer couldn't get John off the simple answer "order" which got Lillian's attention. John follows orders to the letter and for most men, they don't. Donna seemed at ease as she played with her wedding and engagement bands. Though Lillian was getting impatient about all of this but she was ready to snap when the Michaelson brothers and their lawyer showed a video of her being gang banged in college.

"Objection!" Donna stood up as the Michaelson's lawyer looked smug. "I can prove that isn't Miss Cruz in that video and I have proof that those boys did record their own rape."

Lillian was shocked on the last bit and even felt sicker that the judge allowed the second video. Donna placed the memory card into the laptop then a protection hit the white sheet. Lillian turned away as the boys squealed as they ambushed her to cutting her clothes off. Though Donna paused the tape when Lillian's back was revealed. "Miss Cruz had back surgery when she was 18. The video the boys said of her consenting to a gang bang was made while Lillian was in therapy." Donna used her fingers to show the difference and even in the darkness of one video the scar was clearly visible. Donna could have easily played the apple doesn't fall far from the tree but that would put John in danger and Lillian didn't want John to be forced from her life.

"I'm sorry to reveal such display but its to get to the point." Donna looked to the jury as she was playing on their morels. It wasn't long until the court had enough and said they would continue in the morning. Donna was still relaxed as she stood outside the courtroom with Lillian who was trembling and looking like she was going to be sick. "I'm sorry, Sug. I had to show it to come to light you had that scar since you were 18. Its become part of you....The public itself didn't know of it." She moved grabbing her friend's hands and helped her to sit and her cool hands moved to cup Lillian's cheeks. "You're bit warm.... Officer!" She yelled out as a large man came rolling up with his red cheeks. "Mind staying with her while I get some cold water?"

The officer nodded as Donna turned and left to find a vending machine. Lillian sat there as the massive mass of a man basically growled at the Michaelson's and their city lawyer. To Lillian to hear that faint or to feel his disgust made her at ease to know this behavior from men wasn't welcomed.

The hardest part about being on the witness stand was ignoring the looks that the Michaelson boys gave John. he stayed focused on his lawyer and the jury. It was also difficult to feel the way Lillian's last boyfriend was looking at him. It made John feel like he was about to step barefooted on a rattlesnake's den.

The worst part of being back in his seat was watching the video of the pseudo-Lillian and the real rape. As John saw and heard the evidence he realized with a horrified clarity that there was something about the two tapes that was horrifically arousing, and he wondered if he inherited that from his biological father. John rested his elbow on the table and put his head in his hand to avoid looking at it any longer. It was more than he could bear, to both know that it was his friend who had been tormented by his half-brothers, and to know that a part of him had reeived pleasure from the spectacle.

His attorney put a hand on his shoulder. He noted the pale look of Dr. Tanner's skin and the way his breathing changed, and he was worried that the emotional strain of everything that had happened and that would happen would be too much for him.

Outside the court room, John saw Lillian sitting on a bench. A large, sweaty bailiff was standing in front of her. He started to walk up to her when Bobby, Tony, and Harry intercepted him. "Hey, what's your problem?" Tony put his hand on John's chest. "Why are you going against family?"

"You were never my family." John stepped to the side, forcing Tony to follow him or lose his contact.

"The hell we're not!" Harry grabbed John by his upper arm and pulled him back. "You need to remember how things work around her."

John's attorney motioned to a nearby bailiff. "And what might that be, Mr. Michaelson?" Mr. Kiley asked as he turned on the recorder on his phone. "Oh, and to get the record straight you are Harold, right? Harold Eugene Michaelson?"

Harry and his brothers looked at the attorney and then back at John. He let the doc go with a shove. "Just remember what we said," he warned as they walked off. He gave John a dirty look before they rounded the bend.

Once that was over John went over to where Lillian was sitting on the bench. "Ms Cruz? Are you alright?" The bailiff eyed him suspiciously. "Do you mind if I wait with her?" John asked the man.

Lillian watched the whole scene but when John came to her she gave him a smile. "I-" He turned to the bailiff about being with her. "Its fine he works with me." She said as the large man nodded and stepped bit away from them but kept an eye on her.

"I'm fine just reliving that moment but what did they mean by how things work around here?" She said as she looked up at John. While inside the court room she didn't notice his pale skin and his trembling. "How are you holding up? I noticed you were fidgeting out of the corner of my eye when Donna showed the videos." With her voice low as she didn't want anyone to hear the two of them.

Donna walked in the hall and saw the two of them sitting together but all she did was a walk by while giving Lillian the water. Donna walked to Richard Kiley. "How is he holding up?" She asked as she drank the water she had for herself. Looking at the older gentlemen as she noticed the brothers still glared at the pair.

John shook his head. "I'll have to explain later," he answered, his eyes taking on the many ears in the hallway. "This is just... not the easiest thing to sit through." He looked into her eyes and wondered briefly if she could tell how horribly he was affected by it.

Richard looked over at Donna and nodded. "Well... I was meaning to talk to you about that. Maybe we four should have dinner brought to my office so we can confer about tomorrow's trial strategy. If we're not united the defense will knock this case off it's podium. We have to make this a slam dunk if we want your client and mine to live in peace for the next twenty years."

Donna nodded to Richard. "Good idea." She said as she walked with him towards Lillian and John. By that time Lillian was going to touch John's hand when Donna approached.

"Sugs, Richard invited us back to his office for dinner. We need to run over the case before tomorrow." She said and she saw the tired look in their eyes. "I'll take Lillian." She said looking to her friend and dragged her away to the parking lot. Donna was asking about what the two were talking about and Lillian told her they really didn't discuss anything. The girls got to Richard's office and went inside but they slipped in and Lillian rested on Richard's couch while she pulled her heels off and massaged them.

At Richard's office his secretary had already ordered salads, chicken alfredo, and chocolate cake for their dinner. There was bottled water, coffee, and tea, and the drapes had all been drawn so that they could have privacy in the conference room.

"So... tough day, hm?" Richard Kiley handed the girls each a bottle of water. "It's only going to get worse. The defense gets to lead tomorrow, and they'll rake up every little speeding ticket or bounced check our clients have ever had. That's not all they'll do either." He invited the ladies to the table. John was pacing in the room and when he saw Lillian he stopped and seemed to relax.

His attorney seemed ready to get back to work though. "So... we don't want any surprises out there tomorrow." He eyed John and Lillian. "So if there's any new news we need to know, kids, this is the time to let it out."

Donna looked to Lillian who wandered over to the table without her heels on.

"Donna and I were room mates in college." Lillian admitted to Richard. "That's the only thing I can think of they'd pick up. Other than my marksmanship skills that's still rough." She was being modest but she'd glanced over to John seeing he was trying to relax. Looking down as she tried to think of anything else that could be brought up. "I was under a lot of stress in college but I was under some medication. I got off of it years ago after I got into yoga..."

Donna thought it over as she remembered a girls' night out. "Umm there was a girls' night out during your senior year. You were drunk and we managed to get home.

Lillian smacked her forehead. "Oh shit! I forgotten about that night. Its a night I rather forget it actually." Her cheeks were red as a rose since she remembered she was dancing with some black men and she got bit handsy. Thankfully one of her friends who wasn't drinking got the girls home safely without trouble.

Back
Top Bottom