Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

City Girl Turns Country [Traveler/Vampire07]

"Oh, I don't think that she's going to foal anytime soon," John said. "Though I've been known to make a mistake on occasion." He eyed the Michaelson boys, but Frank was going to stay longer, and the vet had a call he had to go on that afternoon, so he bid Miss Cruz good day and left. As he drove down her dirt driveway, though, he felt uneasy about the whole thing. What could he do though? She'd made it clear that she didn't want his intervention. She pointedly ignored his offer to look at her ankle, and he was the one with the medical degree!

John shook his head. There was no accounting for women.

Back at the clinic, Aunt Mae asked after the mustang and the new owner of the Cruz Ranch. She could tell that her nephew was bothered; it showed in the way he paced the room and went to check on the two animals they had in their care at the barn. He'd always been the one to worry over-much, but she guessed that it came from having lost his parents at such a young age. His mom had suffered some kind of misdiagnosed allergic reaction that wound up killing her, and less than two months later, his dad, Aunt Mae's little brother, had died in a car accident. That left John with only his aunt as family, and it had been a hard transition for the little guy.

The one thing that helped him was the animals. Whatever he couldn't tell to his aunt, he told to the horse. And when the horse wouldn't listen, the dog would. That childhood love of animals led him to pursue a degree in veterinary medicine, and when he moved back home to practice, his aunt couldn't be any prouder.

Now she worried about him again. It wasn't like him to get worked up over anyone, lest of all some new client who seemed, from John's description, to have her mind made up about how she was going to run things.

Lillian's book fell to the ground as photos and newspaper clippings fell out. Fighting as strong hands grabbed her damaged ankle but just as she was about to scream in pain, a hand went over her mouth. Her eyes wide as she saw it was the Michaelson brothers as one wrapped his belt in her mouth while another yanked her shorts and panties down to expose her barely touched folds. Struggling hard as one of the commented on tying her up.

"Way ahead of you..."Tony said as he pulled a rope over the beam and wrapped her hands tightly over her head but as she tried using her feet, they even tied them down. Lillian was exposed as the last bit of her clothing was sliced off of her to reveal her large breasts.

"Well what do we have here?" Tony commented as Michael unbuckled his pants and was the first to force himself into Lillian. With her crying out in protest and pain she struggled but Tony was quick to remove the belt and insert himself into her mouth. The only sounds were of the horses nickering and running in a temporary pasture which masked the three men's assault on Lillian. Michal was quick to unload his spunk onto Lillian's breasts and stomach, Tony took his time as he took full control of Lillian's mouth and even pushed it by choking her from time to time with his belt. Tony was more about dominance, Michael was more about kinks and Bobby was more into just fucking. Once Michael stepped back his little brother just dove right into Lillian and he didn't have the stamina or control.

Bobby grunted as he held Lillian tight to him as he unloaded into her making Lillian thrash but went still when Tony tighten his hold on her throat.

"Take your time boys....We could be here all night." Tony commented and he saw the fear in Lillian's eyes. So after hours of them covering Lillian's body in cum and bruises they left her tied up in the stall. The Michaelson's left the barn door somewhat open as the papers and loose photos flew around abit but one prized photo was stepped on and ripped. It was a faded photo of her when she was sitting with a horse nuzzling her. It was moments before her first competition and she was scared until the large painted stallion walked over and just nuzzled her then stood there towering over her until it was time to ride.

The sun was setting as Lillian was tied down like she was a mare forced to bred with a prized stallion. Lillian was gagged, tired, hurting from being used. It seemed those three planned on continuing to use her later on tonight when they could go full out. All she could do was hope someone, anyone would intervene. She'll even accept John's help...

About the fifth time John paced across the clinic lobby floor his Aunt Mae put down her book and sighed. "Why don't you go back there if you're so worried, John? It's only a few miles away." She watched him as he glanced out the window.

"No... she doesn't want me bothering her. She's got some people she hired working over there and if she needed any help she'd calls someone. Not me. Someone else." He turned around to look at his aunt.

She stared back over her reading glasses with a look that said she wasn't born yesterday.

"I mean, she twisted her ankle and she preferred having Frank and the Michaelson boys help her than myself. She practically shoved me out the door." He sat down and picked up an Equus magazine and began to leaf through the pages. "She doesn't need any help, Aunt Mae. She's got it all under control."

"I have a couple of frozen cranberry and pumpkin bread loafs in the freezer. Why don't you ride over and bring them to her? Tell her that they were from me, you know, and just check on that ankle of hers." She chuckled when John bolted out of his seat to go to the freezer. A few minutes later he had the loaves in his saddle bag and was riding across the ridge towards the Cruz Ranch, his eyes straining for signs of trouble, smoke plumes, anything that would indicate that he should be taking the trail at a faster rate than a slow walk.

Diamond stood in the darkness as she nickered to the others. The female mustang stood beside her but since they were smaller horses it was Valor who bellowed wondering if Lillian could hear them.

Lillian had been struggling with the ropes but she was tied high off the ground, the rope snaked around her knees and down to her bad ankle. That was how they kept her from becoming a handful by yanking on the rope to put strain on her ankle to force her to stop thrashing. Was this her punishment thinking there were nice people in this region? Tear stained face as she looked up hearing hooves slamming against the ground. She had heard that faint snap right before, it appears Valor got tired of waiting and took off with the quarter horses for a run. The two quarter horses took off down the trails while Valor took for the roads. Diamond followed their lead but jumped her own small pasture to head to the barn. With it being dark and closed off all she could do was stand there neighing softly.

John heard the horses much sooner than he saw them. Once they were within view they drew up, seeing a rider coming towards them. He called to them and was able to block their path with his horse, then herd them back towards the Cruz Ranch. It disturbed him that they had gotten out. Lillian wouldn't be able to go after them with her sprained ankle, so he was glad that he had come out to the ranch that night.

He drove them into her round pen, figuring that they could wait out the night there if they needed to. Then he secured the gate and looked to the house. The Michaelson's truck was still there but the farrier had left. The tiny hairs on the back of his neck stood up. Could she have invited them to stay? Maybe she liked those kinds of guys... maybe she was used to fast times and was one of those city gals who like the idea of three brothers?

He dismounted and led his horse past the barn. Then he saw a motion, and the mustang, Diamond, came around the corner. She looked like she was trying to get into the barn. "What is it, girl?" John opened the barn door and took out his pocket flashlight and shined it into the barn. At first he saw nothing, then he saw Lillian strung up by her wrists, a belt still loosely wrapped around her throat.

At first he thought that he was looking at a corpse and his skin went cold. Then there was a soft movement, and John rushed forward to cut away the ropes from her feet. He got up on his horse and cut Lillian's wrists free, catching her in his arms as she fell limply forward. "God, Miss Cruz... who did this to you?" But inside he knew who had done this. He was certain that they were in her house right now, drinking her beer and planning to come back and finish the job.

When he came to her she flinched as she saw the knife. Though when he cut her down she curled up to him crying as her fingers curled around his muscle shirt. Trembling in his saddle as he asked who did this to her. At first she thought she heard concern in his voice but she didn't look up. "The Michaelson brothers. Tony....He choked me." She said softly as if her throat was raw from the abuse. "They ambushed me when I was taking my photo album out of storage."

With what little light there was she could see her album was a mess and sprawled out across the ground. Her heart felt so heavy as she laid her head against his chest as tears rolled down her cheeks. "Oh John...." She muttered softly as she didn't know what to do while she sat in his arms. At this point she felt to dirty to cling to him and yet to vulnerable to let go. "They knew...." She muttered as she just hid.

Inside the brothers were draining her beers and wine she had in her cabinets. The drunker they got the more reckless they were becoming as Tony planned to go out there and rape Lillian till sun rise. Slowly the red headed man got to his feet and stumbled outside to the barn. Tony didn't notice the doors as he threw the bottle aside. "Hey Stone! I hope you're not to tired for my cock!" He shouted but as he stepped into the darkness he saw John in the stall they held Lillian. He sobered up quickly. "John, came here to spoil the fun I see."

He tried to calm her as she cuddled up on his saddle, but he could see the bruising and the mess they had left on her. She had been used and abused, and likely would have been murdered before the morning was out, to cover up what they had done.

”Oh John… they knew….” she seemed to collapse into tears and he could only guess that she was telling him that they knew that she’d be alone, that she’d be helpless, and had taken advantage of her vulnerability. John had grown up hearing of the Michaelson boys’ meanness, but he had never thought that they’d be this cruel. The extent of their inhumane treatment of her made him sick.

“It’ll be okay,” the vet tried to reassure her. He needed to get her out of there and to a doctor. A ‘real’ doctor. But as he eased his horse towards the barn doors, Tony came in and threw a bottle across the room.

The men both looked at each other. John had the advantage of being on horseback, but Tony wasn’t carrying a wounded woman.

“Tony… step aside and let us pass.”

“Fuck. You.” Tony grabbed a pitch fork. “Come at me, doc. I’ll put this fucking pitchfork through your horse and then we’ll tie you down and let you watch us having our fun with the little lady.” He laughed coldly. “Who knows? Maybe you’ll get your rocks off too.”

John backed his horse up. He couldn’t risk hurting his mount. “I’m going to set you down,” he whispered to Lillian, “But it will be alright. I promise.” What the Michaelson boys didn’t know was that, while John was in vet school he also studied Krav Maga. He was not a force to be trifled with

Trembling as she shook her head. She didn't want to be left alone but yet she remembered something she placed in her store room. Though she looked to Tony seeing he was determined to run John's horse through with the pitch fork. "Just set me down near that door." Whispering to him softly. When he did set her down she crawled into the room while John went to clear the trash from the barn. Thankfully this barn opened to the north and south ends but in the storage room she pulled her old show coat from a box. Next to the wall was a unmarked box but once she opened it the rifle was staring up at her with the ammo glistening in the fading moonlight.

Loading the rifle as she positioned herself at the door frame with her watching the two men. Frank was right, she had to much time on her hands and took up marksmen ship from Pistols to Archery.

"I got your back, John!" She called out to him but with the horses standing around she was worried she would accidently hit one of them. Climbing up to her feet she limped to the other door and shoved it open to hear the other two men shouting. One was caught off guard as the barrel of her rifle swung up aiming right at Bobby's head.

"Whoa! Easy Missy you may hurt yourself. A delicate thing li-" That was all he said as Lillian pulled the trigger and the beer bottle in his hand shattered. "SHIT!" The glass shards sliced his wrist and forearm. Michael's face grew white as he heard the bolt action of Lillian reloading. "Easy Miss Stone..."

"Don't ever call me by that name!" She growled as she kept those two away from the barn while John handled Tony. The only thing she never got to shot and now she regretted, a shot gun.

John slid off the horse and eased Miss Lillian down to the ground before moving forward to meet Tony. The brother was the middle of the three and the biggest. His red hair and huge, Welch genetics made him as dangerous as a mad boar, and twice as mean.

The brute swung the pitchfork to smack the smaller man and then attempted to stab him, but John Tanner was a quick man. He dodged the pitchfork and then grabbed it, pulling Tony into a convenient knee to the chest. The big man felt his sternum crack. John followed through by grabbing his head, thumbs digging into his eyes, and giving him a second knee, this time into his face.

Just then the barn burst open and the other two brothers flew in, only to be met by Lillian's rifle. The loud crack in the air got everyone's attention. This time John heard the name. "Stone." Lillian's reaction to it was enough to make him wonder what she was running from; despite his close relationship to ranchers and their animals he wasn't one to keep track of racing horses or those in the performance circuit. It just wasn't something that interested him.

The two brothers were backing off, their hands in the air.

"Take your brother with you," John growled. He indicated the prone body of Tony who had passed out from the onslaught of pain and damage to his body. "And don't think that you'll be back here anytime soon, boys. You're lucky she doesn't shoot you all right where you stand. Wouldn't be a court in the county who'd persecute her."

The brothers looked like they wanted to kill somebody, but Lillian had the upper hand. Reluctantly they drug their brother along, and a few minutes later their truck was roaring down the dirt road.

As soon as they let John turned back to Lillian. "Let me take you to the hospital, Miss Cruz. You're gonna need some evidence to press charges."

Shaking as her secret was out all because of the scar on her back. Sighing as she watched the brothers take off with their tails tucked between their legs. After the shock subsided with trembling hands she put the rifle aside and looked to John.

"I plan to press charges." Informing him as she grabbed the clothes she had when they attacked her. Limping over but she stopped scooping up her precious photo she held dear to her. In silence she stuffed it into the pockets of the red black coat. Though she ushered Diamond into a stall and she noticed the troublesome boys were in a holding pin. "Thanks, John..." Giving him a weak smile as she limped off to her house where she grabbed her keys and grabbed fresh clothes. She didn't want to walk out naked or still in the coat. Walking back out to him as she tossed him the keys.

"I still don't know the area so you're going to have to drive. If you don't mind that is." After he gotten his own mount settled in she was in her car really not wanting to talk or simple chit chat. The drive to the hospital was short but she was rushed in with police officers alerted to the assault and came by to collect the evidence and statements from both her and John. Lillian wasn't phased as she recounted what happened and how John came to help her.

"Why, Miss....Cruz?" One black officer looked at her with a questioned look as she got dressed in front of her.

"I really don't know. He just showed up, cut me down and brought me here." She said as she pulled her shirt down over her back.

The woman nodded and walked out and exchanged notes with her partner as the pair walked out to submit it then arrest the boys. They had complaints but no woman was brave enough to press charges. After her ankle was looked at she was told to take aspirin and stay off of it as it was swollen now from the abuse. Sighing as she limped back to her car with John's help. Once inside the car she had the coat folded over her lap. "One of my worst experiences in my life." Laughing weakly as she laid back in the car with her closing her eyes as she wanted to go to sleep and forget about this day.

She just wasn't the type to accept help. John Tanner watched her limp around, putting away her horses and grabbing her clothes, completely ignoring his offers to help her. It seemed like she was lost in her own world. Perhaps she was - she had just had a traumatic experience.

When she came out, wearing a little bit of clothing but still beaten and looking bad. She climbed into her car on her own while he secured his horse, and then she turned away from him enough that he knew that she didn't want to talk on the way to the hospital. John called his aunt and when she answered he told her that if the Michaelson boys showed up she was to shoot them on sight. He hung up and pulled into the hospital emergency room area and helped Lillian into the lobby.

John waited in the waiting room while the rancher woman was being checked. He saw people he knew who thought that his Aunt Mae was hurt, but he shook his head and only said that he was giving a friend a ride. He figured that no one needed to know Miss Cruz's business. When she was released from the hospital he was surprised that she wasn't in a wheel chair or on crutches, but then again, it was probably at her own insistence. "Would you likes some help getting into the car?" She finally slowed down and let him help her.

"One of my worst experiences in my life." she laughed, laying her head back.

"I'd certainly hope so." He muttered. "I can't imagine that being one of the better experiences of your life." He turned onto the highway and began to drive back to her home. It was nearly 1AM by then, and the streets were quiet. "Do you have someone you can call? Someone who can stay with you and help out while your ankle gets better, Miss Cruz? You're likely to re-injure your ankle if you don't give yourself a break."

While he parked in the driveway she thought of who she could call. Sighing she shook her head as she cut ties with her old life. Looking over at him as she noticed he wasn't going to just go away.

"You're not just going to go away are you?" Laughing weakly as she was tired and her body ached. "Actually I have no one who I can call who would help me without asking for something in return." Looking at her coat as her rough hand moved over the fabric before she looked up at him. "Could you stick around and give me a hand? You don't have to stay on the couch as I do have a guest room you can stay in."

With his help she stepped out of the car as she held on to him. She imagined if he stayed to help her more than likely he may take liberties of tossing her to the couch or in a chair if he caught her trying to work. Limping inside as the car was locked up, she put her coat aside and took the torn photo out of the pocket. Silently she moved to a drawer and taped the photo back together then placed it on the fridge. "Guest towels are in the guest room in case you need a shower. I can wash your clothes in the morning but....Why did you come back anyways? I thought you had other clients to see." She asked as she took a plastic cup and filled it up to take some aspirin and she planned on grabbing a hot bath soon. True, she told him she didn't need him for the rest of the day as to her they had everything handled. She was wrong, reaching over as she closed her notebook that was on the kitchen island.

On those pages was plans on creating a jumping course plus there was a list that ranged from clearing the pastures to keeping trails cleared for riding purposes. Beckoning him to follow her as she lead him down the hall where she pushed a door open showing him the guest bedroom. "I'll be grabbing a bath in my master bathroom then I'll be heading to bed. I imagine you have some questions since I know you heard them referring me as someone else."

“Well, I could go away. I don’t want to impose, but you’re, well – you look like you need help.” John shrugged. “I’m just offering. If you’d prefer a lady I’m sure my Aunt Mae would come over and help you for a week while your ankle healed.“ He glanced down at her foot and then agreed when she said that he could stay.

John retrieved the two loaves from his saddle bags and checked on the horses one last time before going into her home for the first time. He flowed her to the room she had set up for guests, and when she asked him why he returned he offered the loaves as his reason. “Aunt Mae baked these for you as a welcome gift. And… I had a bad feeling.” He shook his head. “I’m sorry, Miss Cruz. It’s not any of my business who you were before you moved here. It doesn’t make a difference to me.”

He tucked the loaves under his arm to put in her refrigerator. “We can talk in the morning,” he replied. “I’ll be here if you need me tonight. I mean, for any help, like…. Getting around.” John flushed. “Good night, Ma’am.”

She noticed his blushing and couldn't help but to laugh weakly. "You already saw me naked." Laughing as she swatted his arm gently. "Joking! But I'll tell you everything in the morning. Its exhausting on running interference." Waving to him as she made her way to her bedroom where she shut her door then stripped down while she went to her bathroom. There she ran a hot bath then unwrapped her ankle. Looking down at the sprained joint and sighed.

"Back on the side lines, huh?" Shaking her head as she slipped into the hot water and relaxed. After soaking the aches and filth away she got up and wrapped up in a towel. With a fresh bandage and muscle cream she limped to her bed where she rubbed the cream in and wrapped it up. She spent the night resting in bed that she actually slept through her alarm.

Waking up as she used an old crutch of her while she worked her way to the kitchen. Brewing a fresh pot of coffee as she made fresh hot pancakes for him since he was helping her out. While he was tending to the horses she was in the barn getting the loose papers up off the ground and saw the glass was cleaned up. Smiling as she returned to the house but when he arrived she was sitting on the couch. "Alright John, here it is..." Her voice drifted off as she trembled slightly. "Cruz isn't my real last name." She flipped the old album open way in the back where her family stood with some show horses. She stood with her horse, Blaze as she was a show jumper with the perfect stance. Her brother stood with a Thoroughbred that was a misfit and was clearly a riding pleasure horse.

"Cruz and the Stones are the elite families of the Equestrian Show world. We had our hand in showing and racing since the carriage races in the late 19th century. I've been showing horses since I was ten and my first horse I competed with was a Thoroughbred, Bruce." She pointed to the fridge that was torn. "I loved riding since I was a kid. Started out on ponies and loved the challenge of showing. Though an accident happen at the competition." She reached back rubbing the old injury on her lower back. "I was set to ride a Friesian and after I got her saddled up she threw me and slammed her hoof into my back, slicing my back up. I couldn't ride for years and well I found out that horse was sold off to the glue factory. Also found out someone put penny nails in the saddle blanket plus sharpen her shoe." To her someone stole years of her pleasures so her disappearing was the only way she can return to it.

She turned her laptop around showing him of the latest article of Thunder as he was a massive black thoroughbred with fire in his eyes. Next to the horse was a blonde man with a charming smile with an older couple and yet she wasn't there like the last year's article. "Cruz is my great grandparents surname and my grandparents inherited this land then passed it down to me when they passed away. They did adopt or bought the horses on their deathbed." Looking up at him with a smirk. "I had a choice to let this land go and send the horses away but I love horses, John. When I ride I'm at peace and well...Its been a dream to own a ranch. Perhaps rescue a few mustangs but what I've learned is if you show weakness then you're going to become a victim. Plus I wanted to learn how to do things on my own like repairing fences, training horses to perhaps compete, breaking them in for riding." Shutting the laptop and her album then eased back sipping on her coffee.

"I took the Cruz name since its been forgotten for some time now since Stone is the known name. That really doesn't explain why....I took up the Surname Cruz to get a fresh start to get away from greed and the spot light. The Michaelson brothers found out because my accident was reported and up to my brother's national victory with Thunder." Looking over at him wondering what he was going to say now.

That morning John called his aunt to check on the clinic, but she insisted that everything was fine. After he filled her in about what he was planning, she told him that she’d bring them lunch that afternoon. Aunt Mae smiled at herself when she thought about how he had paced the night before; he knew that something was wrong, he just needed a shove in the right direction.

He swept out the barn, took down the offending ropes and threw them away, stacked wood, watered and fed horses, did more work before 8am than most people did all day… John chuckled at himself. He was a walking commercial. He saw Lillian come into the barn briefly and hobble after her papers, then she disappeared and soon he could smell pancakes and coffee. It was almost like being at home.

Which, he remembered, he’d need to go visit that morning and do his rounds.

When he went back inside the lady rancher was sitting on the couch. She drew him over to her, where she had an old album opened on her lap. He went over and listened to her as she flipped slowly through the pages and shared her past with him. When she was done he dropped his gaze for a few minutes as he thought about what she had revealed.

“Well, quite honestly, I don’t keep up with show horse stuff…” He looked over at her and shrugged softly. “It doesn’t matter to me how many ribbons a person or a horse has; it matters how they interact and how they are around others. I’m sorry. It looks like someone went to great lengths to get you out of the competition circuit… and it sounds like they never had to pay for what they did to you.”

“But you took on the name Cruz for a reason, and it’s not my place to judge or to tell anyone your secret. I’m just here to help you fix up your little ranch and take care of your horses… because you’re my neighbor.” He smiled. “I do have to go back to the clinic later this morning and check on the inpatients… if you’d like to come and look around, I’d welcome the company.”

His offer was tempting on going to the clinic with him but the way he asked made her smile and reconsider her choice. "That offer sounds tempting.." Her hand came down and squeezed his own knowing who she was didn't bother him nor did he care. "Eat and help me saddle up one of the quarter horses and I'll come with you. Me being stuck in this house all day isn't going to keep me sane."

Laughing softly as she got up and hobbled off to the side where she slipped her boots on that gave her extra support in her ankle. "Come on! Pancakes are still hot! I hope you don't mind that I was experimenting with bit of orange juice in the batter." She opened the fridge showing the hand squeezed orange that were wrapped to keep fresh. Looking at the plump orange and decided she'd take it for the day. "Its my way of saying thanks for putting up with my stubborn ass." After she had revealed what she's been trying to hide it felt good to know she didn't have to play this role to keep herself safe. Yet there was one issue still left, her old lover Travis. He was a bulldog when it came to women and he seduced her for a year or so. There was something off about him but yet she couldn't figure out what it was and it got to the point she had to run.

Once breakfast was done she washed the dishes and went out to the pasture with him. Whistling loudly as the horses came over but she reached up grabbing Thorn, the golden stallion and tugged him through. With his help she was sitting up in the saddle with her following him out. It seems with the boys were parted from Valor they were calm and easy to work with. Riding behind him down the trails back to his clinic as she looked ahead of her thinking. He's not so bad when he's not trying to assert himself into your life...Though I had been a bitch to him since day one. Smirking as she mentally slapped herself for thinking she could do it all and yet she came from a sheltered life. Leaning back as she looked up at the light through the tree branches and suddenly she called out to John. "Craving anything for dinner tonight or going to head home then come back in the morning?"

"I am not a picky eater," John chuckled. "My aunt Mae says that a picky eater goes hungry." He sat down with her and thanked her for the meal. He had no idea that there was any other drama headed their way, but even now, in the city Travis was asking around and trying to figure out what had happened to his 'baby'.

John poured the coffee for them both and offered her the butter. "You're not that stubborn. Just... mostly stubborn." He smiled at her. "Besides, I deal with unbroke fillies all the time." His eyes were teasing when he compared her to a wild horse.

They rode out on the trail towards his home, John surprised that she wanted to ride despite her sprained ankle. Once they neared his home she asked him about dinner.

He pulled his horse to the side and waited for her so they could ride side-by-side. "Well, Aunt Mae was hoping to make us lunch. And then I supposed it just depended on you... whether you felt safe at home alone or not. In all likelihood you could stay with us as easily as we could stay with you, but there is some work to do at your house. I should bring my truck over, though. If there's an emergency call then I'll be able to get to it faster."

Riding beside him as she was at ease with him. He was different from the men she use to date. John was rough and blunt with his observation of conditions. He didn't wait to get things done as he got his hands dirty. In a strange way that was what made her grow soft for him. The men she dated paid to get things done, looked the other way when someone was hurt or even mocked them. Her long brown hair was braided over her shoulder as he mentioned his Aunt wanted to make Lunch for them.

"Honestly the house doesn't feel safe any more and I don't want to take you away from your Aunt. I imagine she needs your help. But you know you two are always welcomed to drop by and stay for a bit." As she looked into his eyes she felt her cheeks flushing and she suddenly looked away from him. "Come on lead the way, Cowboy." Teasing him as she rode after him through the trails until they reached his clinic. "I do need your help to get down." She openly admitted this as she slipped her hands onto his shoulders when he grabbed her tiny waist. She was still blushing as she took her horse and let him go into the small holding pin in the back but with her balancing on her good foot she brushed Thorn down who appears to enjoy the brushing. It didn't take long as she went inside before John took matter into his hands.

“Well, I do have things that need to get done, but between Aunt Mae and me we can help a neighbor out.” John gave her a lighthearted smile. They came out of the trees and into an opening. Across a large field, and on the other side of a pod, was a large animal hospital with a huge barn behind it. Near to that was a tidy farm house that looked like it had been there for generations. John’s horse nickered when he saw his home and tried to pick up the pace.

At the barn John helped her down. He was surprised at how tiny she felt under her clothing. He’d seen her nude, but at the time she was tied up and wounded, and he didn’t give her body much thought aside from wondering if she was going to live. Now he felt her muscles moving under his hands as she slid off the saddle, and the intimacy of their position wasn’t lost on him.

“I hope you don’t mind; we can put your horse in the hospital stalls and get him out of the sun.” He led her over to the large barn and helped her to unsaddle her stallion before tending to his own. Once they were done he took her to the clinic, where his Aunt Mae was on the phone chatting. She had short, blond hair in soft curls around her face, and her glasses were modern and flattering. In all she looked like a very stylish older lady who had seen enough of the world to be comfortable with herself.

“Oh let me call you back, honey. John’s back. With a friend.” She hung up the phone and stood up, her smile bright and welcoming. “You must be Miss Cruz! I’m so glad to meet you.” She put out both hands to her. “You can call me Mae. Or Aunt Mae. Everyone does.”

Reaching to Aunt Mae as she took her hands. "Its nice to meet you. I'm sorry I haven't tried your gifts yet got bit caught up. But you can call me Lillian." Smiling to her as she found an empty seat then settled in.

"John, I've been thinking....Perhaps I can pay you to snip all three boys but I want to see if working them will settle them out. What do you think? Am I a dreamer for letting them keep their balls or should I snip them now?" She asked as she looked to John. Little did she know he didn't do any venting to his Aunt when he returned home. Surprisingly her ankle was fine with her boots on.

"Snip your boys?" Aunt Mae chuckled. "I think that's my cue to go warm up lunch." She smiled at they two 'young people' and left for the house.

"Well..." John waved towards some chairs in his waiting room where they could both sit down and talk. "Normally I'd say yes. Get them gelded as soon as possible for their sake and yours... but it depends on your goals. If you're really serious about showing them for profit, Lillian, you have to think about their worth aside from the prize money. Most people who really are serious about showing do it so that they can sell breedings, or in this case, sperm, for a huge profit. If you wind up with a prize show stallion his seed will earn you more money on the market then he ever did in the ring."

John sighed. "Personally all my horses are geldings. But your goals need to be considered. I think that it would be a good idea for you to really do some soul searching and figure out what you want out of your horses, and more importantly, out of life. But if you keep them as stallions then I'd seriously suggest putting in some safeguards and finding a trainer you know and can trust. Those horses can kill you accidentally. All they need to do is decide that they want to get to a mare more desperately than they want to listen to you."

"I'm no stranger around horses hurting me." Smiling as she touched his hand. "I value your opinion and that's why I asked since you seem genuinely concern about them as I am. I wasn't lying when I said my assets are limited. I only have enough to get the place up and running in perfect condition but the rest is up to me. If I show Diamond, then I'll have to get a rider for her or any of them. I'm in no condition to do any show competitions." Since she left her home she hadn't done any restored exercises like yoga.

"But I like to look into options while we're at this stage." Smiling softly at him as she noticed his Aunt had taken off but in a way she was starting to like this alone time with John even it was strictly business. "I know I want Diamond to shine in the ring as she seems to enjoy the challenge but the boys...That's why I asked about them being snipped." Leaning back in her chair as she thought about it. "Well soon as the fields are cleared and repaired then I can see where each of them stand. In the end I know I can count on you for help when it comes to handling the fireball of the herd." Her ears perked as the phone rang.

"You know I can handle the front desk until your Aunt gets back and when she does....You know we're going to gossip." Winking at him playfully with a smile. Walking to the front desk as she answered the phone. "Hello? Yes he's here....Alright." She hung the phone up and called to him, "John, it was the Mr Harrison and he said that Shithead did it again. I am guessing you know what he's talking about." She said with her standing behind the desk as she didn't feel right in sitting the chair his Aunt held for so long.

The short hour was like this as Aunt Mae returned with Lunch and Lillian opened up to her, to a certain point. Like John said her past doesn't really matter. She was laughing at little jokes here and there. Hearing about how Harrisons' horse Dickie or Shithead has a habit of sneaking into the feed bin and chowin' down.

"OH!!! That's why he sounded annoyed!" Giggling as she couldn't help but imagine the sight of the owner seeing the horse vacuuming the grain up and can't get out of the tack room. Aunt Mae seemed like a wonderful woman and Lillian was at ease but when owners of their live stock came to see John some would have their kids who were crying. So Lillian would sit with the kids and sing with them plus anything else to keep them distracted. Though the phone rang as it was one of Aunt Mae's friends calling in to tell her the job was done. Her friends had went through cleared the fields, mowed it plus fixed her fences. It seemed Aunt Mae had been very busy when she was getting lunch.

John nodded. "If you want to put your effort in your Thoroughbred and Diamond then I'd leave him intact and geld the others. You could finance some of your training for him by getting the others safe under saddle and selling them... then you have less mouths to feed and medical expenses. We'll just keep a running account, Lillian. I do that for a lot of my clients." He chuckled. "There's a few people who still pay me in eggs, meat, or hay. The bartering system is alive and well hereabouts."

The call came in and Lillian volunteered to help with the office, so with a quick thanks John was out the door. He had to check on Dickie to make sure his habit didn't give him colic. "You know..." John looked around at the way the Harrison's stored their feed. "An old, broken freezer locker works great to store grain. It keeps the mice out and the horses usually have a tough time opening it up." He had the man keep the horse moving as he eyed the rest of the feed around the place. "I think that he's mostly bored. Like people, horses will eat with they're bored, and that extra weight on Dickie... well it certainly must make cinching his saddle difficult."

Old George chuckled and patted his own belly. "Well, you got yerself a point there Tanner. I dunno - since my Eunice passed four years ago there's just not much to motivate me."

John shrugged. "You know... carriage driving is a nice way to get out without wearing on your knees, George. Maybe if you ask her nice, Aunt Mae would introduce you to the carriage club members in town here." He grinned. "The male constitiency is greatly under-represented."

"What, you mean they don't have many men in the club?"

John nodded.

"Well..." George stroked his mustache between his thumb and forefinger. "I might just have to give your lovely aunt a call."

--

A couple of hours later John finally returned back to his clinic to find the two ladies giggling over some shared joke. He gave his aunt a narrow look. "You're not showing her baby pictures are you?"

Aunt Mae laughed. "Not yet. Give me enough time, though."

"Oh you got some of those?" Lillian winked at Aunt Mae as she laughed softly. "I was helping out while you were with your clients." Smiling as she sipped on the sweet tea his Aunt brought with their meals but in their small town gossip she managed to eat what she could. Handing his meal off to him as she stepped to the door.

"I'm sorry that I can't stay but I need to go shopping but the offer still stands and we can work something out in exchange of you fixing the quarter horses. Who knows with me concentrating on just two it may be easier to train them. Besides you haven't convinced that mustang to follow you." Waving to his Aunt as she turned walking off. Once she was up in her saddle she rode off home and about an hour later after a relaxing trail ride she got home to find someone did the repair work on the fences and the pastures. Rather shocked as she rode along to inspect her new surroundings. "Well...Then..." Laughing as she got Thorn settled in with the others as she noticed the mustang wasn't out with Diamond. Returning to her house to see there was some baked good of neighbors welcoming her to the town but among them was a blue rose. This sent a chill down her spine as someone in her old world knew she loved roses and blue was her favorite color.

Looking about seeing no one there but she tossed the rose aside then took the baked goods inside. She grabbed her keys and left for town. While getting groceries she was thinking if she really wanted to sell the quarter horses off. Perhaps give riding lessons with them? No, they were to reckless in behavior. She'll ask around if anyone wanted the boys. While she was out on the town she learned there was a couple of riders who were into rodeo riding who may need a younger horse to ride.

A few days gone by as she was still on the fence on selling the boys but she worked them with the trails on hauling limbs back and even learned how to use the pair in hauling bigger loads in. Well, she messed up a few times to the point of using just one of them for the rest of the day. Still wearing her steel toed boots, jeans and a tank top with her pulling the last of what she could find. "Good boy, Thorn." She rubbed the golden buckskin's neck. She had fallen in love with every one of those horses but looked up seeing the mustang walking into the field with a small foal following her into the open. This was the first time she seen a foal so seeing the tiny creature on tall legs with its tiny body seemed odd. Lillian still hadn't tried to befriend her yet since she belonged to John Tanner.

"Come on big boy..." She took him off to the side and began to wash him down as the young riders came up to check the quarter horses out. Tying Thorn up as the boys looked him over and Ash over. They liked them both and asked if they were gelded yet. "No, not yet. I haven't decided but I imagine they would be wonderful rides once their ass turns to grass." Shrugging as the boys nodded.

"How much?" One older teen asked.

"Since I don't know if they are pureblooded quarter horses. And you wanted them fixed....I say a couple thousand each. But a friend told me this was a bartering town so we could work something out as in payment." She said as the teen cleared his throat.

"I think I can convince my dad to give you a couple thousand dollars worth of hay."

"Well what else are you learning?" She learned the boys were farmer boys who knew a lot about fixing barns and homes. Thinking this over as she wanted to give them a chance. "How about this: Hay for the winter AND you two help me fix this barn plus design jumps."

"Jumps?" The younger one asked as she invited them inside.

Lillian pulled her laptop out and showed them what she was talking about. "I have all this land and I want to make use of it. Plus that Bay horse you saw, I want to train her for jumping. She may be well in endurance races or jumping competitions." The boys nodded and said they can do the labor but the hay was on hold. "Well you two will be working while another person is here....I..." The boys shrugged.

"No worries! I got a little sister and she is never alone when boys come over." He smiled as he and his friend left Lillian on her porch waving to them goodbye. Sighing as she walked to the pasture where the mares were with the foal. Lillian stood there at the fence line watching the foal bounce around to test the strength of their new legs. Reaching into her pocket as she dialed Aunt Mae at the office. "Hey Aunt Mae, tell John the mare he wants is back and he has two quarter horses who will be geldings." Hanging up knowing John will get the message. She had done some work with Valor on the carousal with Diamond and done basic handling. It seemed to calmed him down abit to know he can't toss his weight around as he pleases. Whistling loudly as she got Diamond's attention and she walked over and the mustang followed with her foal.

Surprised by this as the foal tried to follow Diamond out of the pasture. "No you need to stay with her." She said as she reached out but the foal touched its nose to her hand. That melted her heart! Carefully she moved her hand over the white and brown foal's forehead to play with the tuff of mane. "Aren't you a cutie!" Smiling as she shut the gate on the foal and looked to the mare who grazed near her. Leading Diamond away to be groomed; after getting Diamond soaked down and she ran a soapy rag over her then suddenly Diamond kicked the bucket of soapy water. The soapy water splashed all over Lillian, soaking her. Diamond nickered as if she was laughing while Lillian sprayed the soap from her face. "You brat..." Smirking as she rinsed the mare down quickly.

John was surprised at Miss Cruz's rapid exit, especially when she had seemed like she was inviting him to dinner and perhaps another sleep-over at her house, but he knew enough about not pressing the issue to question her about it. If she wanted to leave... well... he had to let her. Once she was gone Jim spent the better part of the evening not answering Aunt Mae's questions.

What did you do last night? Where did you sleep? She's a nice girl, isn't she? Do you like her? Is she married? The questions went on and on, until John had to very firmly but lovingly tell her that if she needed to know these things then maybe she should ask Lillian. That got a 'Well! I never!' from his aunt, but it wasn't long before she would ask him if he was going over for dinner that night or not.

"Well... I started out the day thinking that I'd been invited, but now I'm not so sure. I guess I'll just take my time and let her figure out what's going on Aunt Mae. She's had a lot of things happen lately." He looked over at his aunt and smiled. "Besides... I can't show too much favoritism, can I? Mr. Harrison might get jealous."

Mae laughed and smacked him with a dishcloth. She had a long-standing crush on the old widower but had never acted on it. Partially because she came from the generation that still believed that the men needed to make the first move.

---

The next few days were busy as heck. John tried to get out to see the mare, but the hours were sporadic and sometimes he could only see her for a brief half hour after dawn. The Cruz ranch was looking better, though, and he was glad to see that it seemed like Lillian was getting some help around the place.

He was out on a call when Aunt Mae got a call from Lillian. She was excited about the foal and was about to tell her that John was out when the phone clicked off. She looked at it for a moment, a bit hurt that the young lady seemed unwilling to engage in any small talk or pleasantries. After a moment she hung up the phone. "Well... city folk, I guess."

Out on his rounds, John got a call from the sheriff. They weren't able to reach Lillian and wanted her to know that the Michaelson boys had made bail, so the sheriff asked John to swing by and let her know the news. He pulled into her driveway just in time to see her washing her horse and get splashed with water. She was quite a sight; boots, nice jeans, and a tank top. Lillian looked like she was loving life. He almost hated to bring her the news.

He climbed out of his truck and put his hat on for the short, sunny walk to where she was washing Diamond. "Good afternoon, Ms. Cruz." He gave the mare an appreciative once-over. "I, ah, have some news you need to know. The sheriff had to let the Michaelson boys out on bail today, until their trial. He thought you might want to be aware and maybe keep a sidearm with you." John glanced around the ranch. "Just... as a precaution."

Back
Top Bottom