Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Against the Dark Ones (Emperor_Nero and I)

xoxDicexox

Moon
Two weeks. That was how long ago Princess Teysa had left her host behind at the edge of the southern forest with four others. Sir Balthalin, Sir Ferwall, and the guides, Jormund , a mercenary from the south marches and Tajic, a Finshan Army scout. Sir Ferwall had fallen in three days into the hike when they came about a bunch of berries that Jormund had said were editable. Little know, they were, unless you ate an entire bush of them. Over the next few days Sir Ferwall became ill with every passing hour it seemed. Finally the Princess told him to head back since he was slowing the already slow going march into the thickly vegetated forest. The man refused only for a half second before turning around and taking the mounts with him. It had been decided going on foot at that point was going to be safer. After the old knight had turned back only a short while later screams and nickers were heard. Upon following the trail back all that could be found was a horse, or what was left of one, and a bloody chest plate shredded opened. Needless to say, the party became increasingly uncomfortable after that. It was shortly after that event that it became very apparent to the remaining trekkers that Jormund, the so called guide, was really just a master of the tongue who knew nothing about where they were. The crude maps were nothing of any importance, and the man simply explained it was due to the forest changing month to month. As the hours turning into days Jormund would go off on rants about the King, who he did not wear the colors of for 'concealment', was mad for thinking any of the original elves lived. When the crass man continued his rampages, that showed he had become comfortable around the princess, Sir Balthalin took it upon himself to shut the man up by hitting him. Still, the grumbles reached the young Princess' ears but it had to be endured for now. She in her hear questioned her father's words of the elves still being alive but would never speak on them to those she did not trust. Tajic was young but ever faithful and always putting himself first wanting to protect the Princess even from the larger than necessary bugs that walked by.

One morning they woke to find Jormund missing along with a good ration of food. Tajic, the ever eager, was able to find his trail and the remaining party had come about his corpse. Rather, what was left of it. The cause was easy enough to determine as there was an arrow through the mans chest, but already the large ants that roamed the under brush had stripped most of his flesh away. It was a gruesome sight that finally sent Sir Balthalin over the edge. The middle aged man was known for his service to the crown, as was his entire linage before him as far as could be remembered, and had been there all of Princess Teysa's life. She was like niece to him. Granted, a very capable niece, but one none the less. Once the three moved away from the freshly rotting corpse Balthalin grabbed Teysa by her slender shoulders and looked her dead in the eyes. If she did not know him as well as she did the man would look crazed. His beard had grown now over the few weeks that seemed like months right now covering his somewhat weak chin he had. The peppering hair on his head was long and tangled and dirt covered his features. Really, the look was more becoming of him but Teysa knew better than to look amused since his eyes were worried. He muttered something about turning back but the young woman just waved him off and continued forward knowing the other two would follow.

The morning after they had found their guides body left for the forest to consume the trio came upon a ledge and heard some horns sounding off. Not thinking anything of it Teysa shot forward to the edge of the ledge falling to her stomach and shimmying so she could look over easily enough. Her grey eyes grew wide as her two male companions joined her. Down below there was a massive gathering of the Drow. All the dark skinned elves gathering together and getting into a somewhat formation. It was odd how the 'dark ones' as Teysa had heard the King call them, seemed to take more after the human way of war. Conquer and suck everything dry. After watching for a moment or two she signaled for Balthalin and Tajic to come away from the ledge. Feeling they were an ample distance away the young woman sighed brushing her black matted hair out of her face. "They are heading towards the host. Sir Balthalin you must go back and warn them. The massive amount of Drow are heading right for the pitch flats. We cannot have our cover blown until I find the elves. We need them to be able to travel through this damned jungle."
"I cannot leave you out here looking for a race that has thought to be extinct for almost twenty years!" The man shook his head looking as if there was no arguing with him.
"I'll protect the princess! It has to be easier than trying to save over five thousand men, only a man of your stature could do such a task Sir," Tajic spoke up. He was only a young man of fifteen but his chest puffed more than men double his age. The sandy blonde hair gave him a boyish look but the young man had proven himself to be worthy of any task placed before him.
"Go. Every second you waste is one that they are closer. Move them north three days off the path. I will come find you once I have the elves with me. Then we will be able to meet with my father to the east and cut this force in half. Send a message letting him know the Drow are closer than expected. Go!" Teysa hissed out at the man. He looked troubled but there was nothing he could do, he answered to the young princess. The only one she answered to was the King, but she had earned her respect over the years leading many men to many victories. Balthalin nodded his head and spun on his heal making his way back through the forest with her orders. Nodding to Tajic the group was now down to two as they headed out.

The next day the pair covered much more ground but they both missed the sun. Above the canopy completely blocked it out as the trees soared above. They knew when it was day from the humidity level and the creatures being more active above in the branches. There had still been no sign of any elves, but still the Princess trudged on with Tajic, who was now following her like a lost puppy. At first the young man had not known her status but it had only taken him a day to put it all together and start fawning over her. It was cute, annoying, but cute. Tajic's eyes almost popped out of his skull when Teysa stripped off the leather armor, the small amount of metal armor she wore she had stripped off only a few days in and carried in a bag tied to her waist, wearing nothing more but cotton breeches and a tight under shirt. She was melting in the leather and knew she was getting dehydrated. If they spent a few more days she might not make it out alive. "Are you sure there are elves?" Tajic asked as they walked slowly through what seemed a mini forest of saplings that were as tall as him, the lanky boy stood a good six feet tall where the princess was a short five foot three inches. Even for her smaller frame she had filled out nicely as the soaked white cotton under clothes showed. Thank the Gods for the linen band around her breast, otherwise she feared her companion would be three legged.
"Yes Tajic, my father says so, and he was alive when they still were known to be. There's something he is not telling me for sure. I'm to look for the Prince of Leaves. He is supposed to be the leader of what is left of them. Supposedly he and the King have an agreement that will make them help us. I have a feeling though that we should have been helping them these past few decades. Who knows what kind of thoughts they will have towards us. Be silent once we find them please," Teysa stated then stopped in her tracks.

When she had been speaking the forest had been loud, but now it was silent. That was never a good sign. Carefully she pulled out the short broad sword that hung on her right hip with her left hand wrapping her fingers around the hilt. Out of habit her stance widened as her eyes searched along with her ears. Tajic did not need any further words, soon as the woman had pulled her sword out his bow and arrow were drawn and pulled taunt. Back to back the two stood and a low cat like growl was heard. In a flash two large black panthers were in view, where they had come from was unknown to the two clumsy humans, with Drow riding them crude swords in hands. Immediately Tajic fired and caught one Drow between the eyes making it drop off its mount, which charged but the young man took off giving the natural hunter a good chase. The other Drow looked at her then went to fish out something from the side she could not see. Moments later it became apparent that it was another horn the dark elf was reaching for. "Not a chance," Said the Princess as the Drow was bringing the horn up to its lips. There was a flash of steel and a cracking sound heard only a half moment later. The arc of the swing cracked the horn in half along with the flesh and bone of the Drow cutting the being from shoulder to shoulder. The loudest cracking sound however was the blade lodging itself in the tree. The dying elf let out a gurgling laugh which made black blood flow from the corner of its mouth followed by another rumbling growl. Teysa looked over her shoulder as she tried to pry the steel loose of the tree, but it was stuck. The mount of the dying Drow lowered its body and head ready to pounce its eyes narrowed and muscles coiling. This was it. Teysa turned to face her death like a proud warrior she was waiting for the killing blow she would not be able to block.

"Aelnoria ea ylthia! came a strange, fluid cry from the trees, the tone one of full urgency, but also, in it, a tone of elation and pride. The language, to the ears of any experienced linguist, would be so distinctly fluid and crisp to be anything but High Elven, the language of the powerful and purest of Elves. The only ones that now remained.

It was Prince Ethril of Annealorie, the fallen Capitol of golden woods and magical wonders and quiet study, who made this call to arms. He, dressed in the golden/leather armor known as High Elven war garb, seemed to step from the trees themselves, a beautifully formed wooden how in his grasp, pulled to full draw, dangerous, beautifully curved warhead on the tip of the finely crafted arrow. It took only a tenth of a second for his arrow to be aimed and released, knifing through the air with a soft, musical whistle and slamming into the fleshy side of the dangerous mount. To anyone else, it might have looked like a miss.

But elves don't miss. Not with bows.

As soon as the arrow was away, Ethril drew two blades, maybe a foot and a half in length, holding one in each hand, the blades made of pale wood and silvery metal, not adorned with any form of decoration. Yet they were beautiful in their simplicity. Such things Ethril, among other elves, valued highly. Beauty without high value.

But the beauty of the blades was not important now, as the vicious mount spun to attack him instead. He didn't wait for it to lunge, instead leaping through the air before it could attack, delivering a series of cuts across the beast's back as he flipped through the air over it. In a blinding second, the beast spun about as Ethril landed, blood seeping from the wounds just inflicted, but in no way done for. Ethril sheathed the knives in a quick motion as several additional arrows shot out of the forest, burning themselves in the creature's body.

"Del nareia aolen oloniea." Ethril said, stepping back from the beast. In that instant, the wood of the arrows stretched and grew, forming roots and branches that snaked down to the forest floor, burying into the ground, pinning the black feline. More roots laced over it's being, trapping it and slowly pressing it to the ground. The roots themselves seemed to drag it to the ground, and bones snapped as the huge body was finally dragged into the earth, a tree growing up from the place where it had vanished.

Ethril knelt by the tree, and four other elves slipped out of the shadows, two male, two female, all armed with a how and two similar knives. They knelt by the tree as one, speaking softly, this time in English.

"The Forest, our Mother, we kill not for bloodlust or anger, but for our freedom and your purification. That which has been killed, will be returned to the earth so you might feed from it's being and make it clean once more. May we find peace in knowing we too shall eventually feed the trees and life of this world." They said, in voices like song and tone quiet and peaceful.

Then the tall, elegant, white-haired man with sharp pointed ears, dressed in an emerald colored armor turned to the young woman he had just saved, considering, as the other elves stood. He motioned to one of the female elves and she slipped up to his right side. "Emea," he said, the name sounding like 'em-eh'. "Chased the other mount down and bring the young male human to the Stronghold. We will meet you there." He instructed, and the young elf gave the human girl a quick glance before nodding.

"As you desire." She said shortly before sprinting away after the fleeing man and chasing panther, slender, agile body darting between trees.

Ethril's attention now turned to Teysa. "You must be the Princess we have been expecting. I haven't seen you in a long while, Lady Teysa." He said, kneeling and offering her a slender, long-fingered hand, the digits pale and strong, yet delicate and precise. "Are you hurt? I apologize that our assistance arrived too late to aid the rest of your party." He said with a soft smile. "The dark ones have been particularly active lately. Your arrival is a good sign, however." He said, helping her to her feet, a hand pressed lightly to her side as she stood. He let out a soft whistle, and three horses trotted from the trees. They were tall, slender creatures, much like their owners, and the remaining female and one male mounted two brown horses. The white one approached Ethril, nickering softly. "I hope you have no problem riding behind me, as we have only three horses. Two of our kind generally run ahead of the group as scouts, and the rest ride. We can easily outrun our steeds, but cannot go as long." The slender elf said, offering her his hand to help her up, onto the white steed.

"We must be off to the Stronghold. The drow will soon look for the patrol that ambushed you."

It was the end of Teysa and her bloodline. She was the last of the human royals and now a damn panther was going to take her out. It was somewhat maddening, but at least the great bards of the time could possibly weave a grand tale. That was even if Finsha would still be there for them all. The next series of events that unfolded though got Teysa frozen in her spot, one hand still wrapped around the leather coated steel hilt of the sword. The arrow that had come whizzing through the trees had hit so expertly, it was either pure dumb luck or insane amount of skill. The princess herself knew how to use a bow of course, but it had never come naturally to her and had become quickly discarded. If she needed to shoot anything, the cross bow would do for her, even if the reloading of the bolts was extremely slow. What happened next the young woman would not be able to say as she let go of the blade and let herself sink to the ground. They were real. The High Elves her Father had been ranting about those few weeks while she prepared for the trek were real. Not something of the old mans imagination. Carefully her grey eyes watched the white haired slender male seem to dance more than fight using his blades at first then magic. Sure there were human mages that Teysa had seen and their arts, but the nobles and royalty never got tested to see if they contained the correct build for the arcane arts. It was something long placed in the humans to keep the underlings from fearing the ones who ruled and protected them. Somewhere she had heard that the elves were the opposite, most of the magical inclined elves were all of noble blood and birth. Seeing the magic made her instantly think the male elf with the white hair was who she was looking for.

Hearing the chorus of voices that chimed through the air like the most delicate bells she had ever heard she knew her face was blank. When she did not know how to react to things appropriately her neutral face came out, something that had saved her a time or two before. Her eyes met with the brunette she-elf watching as she nodded at her orders. Just as the she-elf took off to look for Tajic Teysa called out to her, "Call for Tajic!" She breathed out wanting the young man to be found alive and well, out of her entire party she did wish him the best. Not knowing if the elf heard her or not the dark haired human snapped her head back to look up at the elf that was obviously in charge. He knew she was coming to look for him? How was it this creature knew she existed but she had not known the same about him? Slipping her hand into his she used him more for balance than anything feeling that she was almost the same heaviness of him, and she was on the small side for humans. When their hands connected though something soothing and calm washed over her and an echo of laughter danced in her mind. Something was familiar about him, but her mind slipped every time she got close to grasping the memory that was playing through her hearing. "No, I am uninjured thank you, sir. My party knew the trek was not going to be welcoming and they still came. Only the first one lost is a loss. Your concern is heart lifting," She breathed out nodding her head in a respectful bow making sure to speak correctly as she had been raised still not knowing who this was standing in front of her. When the mounts came she had to hold back the sigh of relief, no more walking. "I understand that. We had to leave the horses only a few days into the jungle. They were becoming more of a burden than an asset to our search. I am relieved to know there are more elves in this forsaken place than the dark ones, excuse me one moment. I need to retrieve my blade,"

After speaking Teysa turned and walked the few steps to the tree grabbing the blade firmly before grunting softly as she pushed herself against the wedged steel. Leaving behind this sword would be worse than death. It was the one of her family and she was the first Princess to ever wield it, and only after she had earned it. The shiny polished steel creaked free making the woman stumble back like the clumsy human she was. Kissing the flat of the blade Teysa sheathed the sword back on her hip in the plain leather casing. Nothing about her was extravagant being that she was traveling under cover, but one glance at the folded steel along with the well bred woman armed with it would give it away to a trained eye. Making her way back to the horse she once again only used the elf for balance and threw her tired sore leg over the narrow mount that was much easier to sit on for her. Leaning back with her hands behind her grasping the flimsy leather saddle she finally allowed herself a sigh. "Might I know the name of my rescuer and what the expect in this stronghold you are taking me to? Also, how do you know my name and I have not even been sure of your existence until moments ago? You must know my father the King then? He is on his way and I know the route. I brought a map. I apologize, this has been a very trying journey already and I know it is only the beginning," Softly she spoke but it was with her aristocratic manner, which she found entertaining. Here she was on the back of an elven horse with a white haired elf, as if there was anyway to tell his age, in nothing but her linen underclothes that were soaked through with sweat sticking to her like a second skin and leaving almost nothing to the imagination.

Ethril gave her a small smile as she pulled the blade from the tree with effort. Once it slid free, he whispered a soft charm and the tree sealed up instantly, fully healed. Her body was easily displayed in this moment, and he couldn't help but admire her curvy form. Despite the few elven women, including the two in his battle group, that still lived, and the beauty and grace that they possessed... This young girl, by elven standards, was striking in her own way.

"So many questions." Ethril mused quietly. "I willl answer only some now. I am Ethril, of Annealorie, Prince of Leaves, leader of the Emerald Army, the last remaining force of Elves. I am now going to arrogantly assume it was me you were sent to find." He said with a low chuckle. "The Stronghold is a High Elven fortress, by the mountains. We will get you more befitting clothing there, and discuss details as well." Ethril swung himself up into the saddle, gently placing one of her hands on his hip. "Hold on to me. It would be a pity if I were to lose the beautiful human princess." He said with a brilliant smile.

"Garta!" He exclaimed, and the group shot off through the trees at a breakneck pace, and Ethril continued to speak as he steered. "I do know your father, from a while ago, when our defensive aid agreement was made, which is why you are here. To fufill the agreement, yes? You were just born when it was made. I held you briefly. I myself was merely eight cycles." He said, narrowly missing a tree. "And worry not about your companion. Emea will slay the beast and bring him back. Perhaps they'll take a liking to each other." He mused with a gleeful laugh as they jumped a river. "Emea never has seemed to find anyone for her."

Teysa had noticed that the tree healed after her blade had been yanked free of the bark. Never before would she thought of the tree as a truly living thing. It did not breathe, move, or speak as she did. Not that she was simple minded but humans needed hard proff of these things after all and there was little of it in this time and age. As she sat on the saddle behind Ehrile she waited for her rapid firing of questions to be answered. Though the princess was not the typical sit in the room and look pretty noble woman she was bred of royalty and had come from her own kingdom where none dared not to answer her out of respect. It had not always been that way but the years had earned her the respect of her men. She listened to him intently, her dark eyes focused on the elf as he spoke. When he was arrogant, something she had not heard was often found among the elves, a smirk passed across her features and she let out a little chortle in response. Though once her clothing, rather the lack of them, was brought up her cheeks flushed slightly more. If she had not the underclothes even under the linen clothes her nipples and lower mound would have been on display for all. Letting him guide her hand onto his hip she closed her eyes and let out a slow breath keeping her temper down. Normally it was much easier for her, but between the days of heat and the relief that she had found who she was looking for the dark haired woman was on edge.

Before she could speak again though the horse took off and her breath caught. Sure she had been on many a fast steed but the grace of the elven one was unmatched, and she had been riding more hearty warhorses of late. As they went through the forest the white hair of the elven prince danced around her intoxicating her scent and she could not help taking in a deep breath of the clean forest smell. Catching herself she clutched on tighter around his narrow waist and leaned forward but still kept thier bodies from touching anywhere inappropriate. "So you think me but a child?" She asked him when he mentioned holding her in his arms once. Eight cycles? The elf hardly looked older than her. "Yes, my father sent me out to hold up our end of the agreement, he was very vague about that part though, saying it would come apparent to me once I found you. Tarkus can do well himself, he is just not as seasoned as most," Teysa found herself defending the poor lad who had grown on her over their treks through the horrible forest. "I did not think there were anymore elven fortresses to be had. I was told they were all destroyed in the great war that ended as I came into this world," She spoke skeptical of his words. This was who she was looking for, but he was being very forward with calling her beautiful and his haughty nature made her wonder if the slender man her arms were wrapped around had learned any manners. "Why have you not taken Emea?" She asked being as forward as he was being, seeing how he would handle it.

"Think of you as a child?" Ethril questioned with a laugh. "Not so! Eight years difference is nothing to elves. You are my equal in age, and I'm sure in many other things." He said, laughing with clear pleasure as they ran along the bank of a fast-flowing river. "Smell the water in the air, feel the wind on your skin. Any time you need to remember why we fight, look around you!" He exclaimed. Then he raised an arm toward the sky, where a large hill appeared on the horizon, a building perched atop it. The spires of the towers were slender and graceful, and the walls beautiful and elegant. The pale stone glowed in the evening sun. "Our destination." He proclaimed, not pausing in their ride. "Many woven fortresses were destroyed. We built this one only in the last five years."

He considered her question briefly, not bothered by her frankness. Honesty and direct speech were common amongst elves. A small smile played across his face. She didn't know about the betrothal. Well. Time to allow his more mischievous side have some fun. "Emea is beautiful, yes, but we are friends from childhood. We have spoken on this topic before, and neither of us has interest therein." He said. Such a conversation had happened, before the betrothal.

They quickly arrived at the gates, which were opened already, as they had been spotted on their approach. "Keep watch for Emea! She should return soon. Alert me when she does." Ethril called, and an elf called something back in the fluid tongue of their kind. The gates curves gracefully up, made of wood that almost appeared alive still, as if trees themselves had grown this fortress. The building was huge, dominating the large hilltop, and Ethril rode them up the Main Street to the central building, a large spire.

There he helped her down from the horse, and looked over her again. "I assume you would like to bathe and to be more presentable before we speak again." He said softly. "Alie!" He called, and an elf maiden appeared from within the spire. "Yes, Ethril?" She said with a small flourish of respect.

"Please lead the princess to the bath chambers downstairs. The chambers were built into the rock of the hill, and were served by a hot spring. "You should find some clothing down there as well. All of us wear the same garment, so you should feel part of the group." He teased lightly, and guided her to the beautifully carved door of the spire. "Go, relax." He said, and then vanished off with the horse.

Teysa could not help the quirked eyebrow when he mentioned she was his equal in possibly many things. Was he once more jesting her? It had been so long since a male had dared to do so she was not sure if that was his true intention of not. She stayed quiet too sore and tired from her long journey and tried to just focus on not falling off the horse. That was something she could never live down if it happened. When he pointed out the strong hold though Teysa could not help but look. It was beautiful, and large for something built in such a short amount of time. There had to be plenty of elves left if something of that stature could be raised in the time frame he gave it. Human as ever with her not so easily trusting mind as the horse continued forward and brought the strong hold closer and closer. "It looks very well made," She spoke loud enough to be heard over the wind. It was almost freeing the wind whipping through her hair and just the joyous sound coming from Ethril. He was in charge of the last of the High Elves, who were almost gone forever, and he could still laugh and take in the beauty around him.

Taken out of her stupor as he answered her question not skipping a beat a smile came across her full lips, good he would not seemed to surprised by her. The look she received from human men sometimes was annoying enough to deal with, she did not want this damn elf looking down at her either. Saying nothing to his answer Teysa held on and watched as the graceful strong hold began to take up more of their view. Even closer she could see all the delicate intricacies that had been added to the walls and surrounding stones. Even the trees looked healthier here, it was a very welcoming sight. Just to be out of the forest for a moments time would be amazing for the time being.

There was so much to look at the human princess knew if she was unable to sleep tonight it would be fine to fill herself with the wonders of this place. Though her thoughts were racing and she was truly impressed her face never showed it. It was the nuetral stoic look she had perfected at court years ago, even if deeply shocked she could look bored. Taking the slender elf's hand she swung her leg over the horse and landed softly, for a human, on her feet. Without his help though she would not have been able to keep her balance. Taking her hand away she listened and looked at the she-elf that appeared to lead her to the bathes, missing the overview Ethril had given her again. "Thank you for your hospitality. Please let me know when Tarkus is brought back," Teysa responded before he walked off but she watched the back of him carefully. There was a strength to his gait even though he was hardly any thicker than herself. Hell, her hips alone probably would cause her to never be able to hid behind him. Her dark eyes rested on the sway of his hips as he went out of sight and it was not until Alie cleared her throat that Teysa was once more brought out of her head. "Sorry, if you could please lead me to the baths I would be thankful,"

"Yes miss," Alie bowed slightly and started gliding through the doors of the large spire with Teysa following. Her sword was still strapped to her side as well as the bag that held her leather armor and the light plating she wore made a clanking sound. There was the sudden trill of laughter and a young elf girl with brown curls to her ankles went dashing by chased by another elf with shorter blonde curls, "While there are babes to play, there is hope to defend...." The princess spoke softly to herself smiling tiredly after the fleeting figures. Even though this was no home, it would do for now. It was a short walk down to the springs and as they approached the smell of water was strong, but soothing. Alie bowed again slightly as she opened the door and motioned for the princess to go inside. "I'll take your armor if you wish and have it cleaned so it can be ready for you. There are shelves full of clothing, feel free to take anything that suits you. I am afraid we do not have much in the human fashions,"

"That is just fine. Thank you again," Teysa waved the elf off after handing over her bag but keeping the sword strapped to her side. Walking into the large room she saw the pools of milky water illuminated by some florescent plants along the walls. It was like nothing she had ever seen before, and if she was not so sore and dirty would have stared for a while. There were larger more open pools as well as some closed off ones. Being human through and through the princess quickly made her way to one that was almost completely closed off and slipped inside behind the walls of vines that let the light and sounds in but little else. The sword was quickly unstrapped but laid down on the edge of the pool before Teysa slowly peeled the sweat drenched linen off of her body dropping it in the basket that was obviously for soiled clothes. Her slender but toned arms wrapped around her perky breast out of habit as she slipped into the white murky water that seemed to have a life of its own. Without even breaking her movement she went as far as she could until she was neck deep in the water and dunked her head getting her black hair wet and finger combed through it. Soaking there in the pool with the water showing just the top of her shoulders and up, the milky white color keeping everything else under hidden even from her sight, the princess continued to comb through her hair. Once it was combed it shone and once again was like silk draping down her shoulders, the rest floating in the water behind her. Teysa closed her eyes and sighed, the water healing and reviving her body.

It took the woven prince about ten minutes to deal with his horse, return to his room, and strip off the light armor he wore, instead donning a light robe. His white hair had to be brushed straight after the quick-paced riding, but that could wait until after he was clean once more. Elves, with their raised sensitivity to hearing, sight, and smell, bathed more often than humans might, simply to avoid offending others. And so now, lightly coated in sweat from the ride and the fight, he made his way downstairs.

Ethril hadn't expected to find Teysa in his personal bath.

Having put away the horses and recieved word that the other human had been returned to the stronghold, he too decided that a bath was necessary. While he expected to find Teysa hidden in the misty water of one of the main baths, she was not there. Until he made his way to the personal pool, he thought she had finished and been taken to her rooms.

The elven prince wore nothing but a long, semi-transparent robe, which concealed none of his muscles and his form, but kept his more intimate locations shadowed in the dim light of the baths. He entered his personal bathing area, caught sight of her, and smiled.

"You are even more beautiful when properly cleaned." He said softly, so as not to startle her. "It's not often that I find a lovely lady in my personal bath." He commented, stripping off the robe and casting it to one side of the carved stone floor, entering the pool of warm water across from her. There was no show in his movements, no indication of hesitation or embarassment at being seen, ever so briefly, by her before he sank into the pool. He paused then, looking at her. "I'm sorry, have I made you uncomfortable?" He asked softly, a look of almost genuine concern on his face.

With only a slight pause in his words or motions, he moved on, running wet fingers through his hair. "Elves have no problem with nudity or exposure, so I forget that it makes you uncomfortable. I shall... attempt... to keep you from being too put off." he said, leaning back in the water.

"Also, your companion is here, and perfectly safe."

Teysa was relaxing in the bath in her own world. Her mind was wandering on what to do now that she had found the Prince of Leaves. As much as she knew that there would be war plans to be made the human princess could not help but think about what else she was missing. Swirling her mind landed on various places on the map she had studied during the initial march to the edge of the forest trying to pin point where this elven strong hold might be. So lost in her thoughts she was that the ever so light footfalls of Ethril never registered in her ears. Even though the young woman was human she had trained hearing over the years of battle and having to use stealth to take out her stronger enemies.

When he spoke though her grey eyes flew open and she stilled like prey that had just noticed it was being hunted. Soon as she realized though that the elf was in the same small pool and just as naked as she was her eyes lowered out of respect. Even if he did not need the privacy she did. Teysa had seen her share of naked men as they were stripped for torture or to heal their wounds but that was another world entirely. Her cheeks flushed hot red though as he stepped in and her gaze stayed controled waiting until she was sure he was in the murky water far enough that she would not see anything. "Thank you, Prince Ethril," She spoke softly not sure what else to say at his advances once more. When her gaze met his as he cleaned his hair she could not help but let her eyes roam over him for the briefest moment, one he would even have trouble seeing.

"I'm sorry if I have stepped over my bounds, it was the modesty level we humans hold dear that I ended up in the closed off section," OUt of habit more than anything she bowed her head at him and sunk down so she was only a floating head in the water. "I'm happy that Tarkus arrived safe, he has become most dear to me. I am sure you are making him welcomed as well," The princess nodded and leaned herself back on the opposite side of the male sharing the small pool with her. Thank the Gods they were both slender, lessening the chance of anything touching. "If anything I have made myself uncomfortable, once more I apologize for being in here. I can leave and wait for you so we can further discuss events. I have a large host waiting at the edge of the forest for my word and the Drow moving ever so closer to them with each passing moment. Not to mention my father The King will be on his way in a matter of days if I still have my time correct," That aristocratic speech still effortlessly poured out of her even while nude in a pool of water as if she was properly dressed.

Ethril laughed, a genuine sound of mirth and humor. "Not so. Very small are the boundaries between us, and hard for you to overstep." He said with a smile. That line, perhaps, wouldn't be evident to her until he explained the betrothal. "You have not made me uncomfortable at all. If it suits you better, you are welcome to use this pool whenever you like." He offered, gently rubbing the water along his toned torso, working it into the skin and muscle. He controlled his expression when she mentioned Tarkus. He wasn't sure how he felt about the male human who seemed incapable of holding his own against the drow. "Tarkus is being housed in one of the smaller guest rooms on the ground level. Your room is the guest room next door to my own- we share a balcony." He said, just delivering facts.

"I suppose we probably should discuss the matters of great importance, and a bathing pool is not exactly the best place to do it." He said with a sigh, standing and stepping out of the pool, water running from his body. Snatching a cloth towel from a nearby stone shelf, he carefully dried himself off before taking a bundle of clothing from a nook in the wall. In a matter of minutes, he had donned brown leather leggings, a dark green tunic with golden decorative stitching, and a leather belt. Slender fingers loosely braided his longish white hair and tucked it behind his pointed ears. His eyes stayed respectfully away from her body, despite the temptation to gaze upon her. Even her blurred form in the corner of his eye was tempting.

"Take your time, and join me in the Strategy Hall when you are ready. We can discuss the terms of the agreement there and also the battle plans we shall set in motion." He said with a small smile, wrapping his wrists and forearms with white linen. "Any elf in the building can guide you there." He said with a small chuckle, moving to the plant-curtain and stepping out. "And Teysa?" He added softly, turning to gaze at her for a moment.

"You needn't be so shy around me. Over the next few weeks, we shall bond over combat and battle, saving each other countless times. Perhaps... We might become friends, at least." He said before slipping out.

He had a hard time with her high-class nature, her tendency to apologize for everything and yet to be in charge, to control, and to be clear and precise and important. Her language was intricate and elaborate in nature, where he simplified words down to make all feel welcome, and to make himself one with the people. Whereas she, even while nude, seemed to wear the robes of royalty.

He had to be toying with her. Teysa kept her bored face on the best she could but it was easy to see this time that the wheels in her head were churning. What did all this mean? He was being so aloof but she knew there was one piece of information missing that would make everything clink together in her mind. His hands gliding over his muscled lean frame did not go unnoticed however. Teysa just let herself think it was because he was an elf, not a human, and it was more the fascination of the new instead of a genuine one. "Thank you, Prince Ethril,' She spoke after he offered the pool to her as well as letting her know about her rooms. Her eyes darted down again as he left the pool, telling herself that she really did not want to see anything though there was the churning in her stomach that told her oh yes she did want a peek. She waited as she heard the alluring sound of cloth sliding over the body stop and him speak to her again before turning her gaze to meet his as he said her name, rather unformally mind you, and quirked a dark brow at him. "I will not be long, Ethril." was all she said but her voice was calm and loose, having lost that royal stiffness for a brief moment.

Soon as the elf was gone Teysa pulled herself out of the pool snapping a towel around her body as if there was someone else in the closed off area with her. Her clothes were being laundered so she hovered above the shelf that help a small array of clothes. A dress, she missed wearing those. Battle never allowed for them and she had been raised a princess before a warrior. Slipping the light green cloth over her body it tumbled down to the ground completely covering her, mostly. She was human and her womanly features were more apparent. The straight line of the dress was marred by her hips and breast, which were beautifully displayed with their ample amount with the low V cut of the neckline, but she cinched the middle with a belt similar to the one Ethril had donned fixing the dress to her fuller body. "Never thought I could fee big..." She muttered to herself and let out a playful laugh. Quickly her sword was attached to her right hip and her leather boots slipped on. As she walked out of the bathing area, making sure to keep her eyes from anyone else bathing, her hands smoothed her drying hair out letting it fall loose around her. There was no crown to prop up with it now anyways.

It only took a few moments to find an elf that she asked to take her to the Strategy Room and she slipped in through the door wondering if she would find anyone else there. Tarkus did need to be checked on but the host that was waiting for her needed direction as soon as she could give it to them. Looking around she waited for her eyes to fall on Ethril and gave him a half smile, "This is much more appropiate, do you not agree?" There was a small playful quip to her voice that had not been there before. She just figured if he could play coy games she could join in the fun.

Ethril was on the raised dais in the center of the room, his eyes slipping up to meet hers, a smile forming on his lips as she appeared and let loose that little playful line that made her instantly more likable. "More proper, perhaps, but not necessarily more appealing." He returned. "Truthfully, however, you do look fantastic in that elven dress." He said, waving a palm to the chair next to him.

He had put on his normal green and gold leather armor once more, with the beautifully crafted daggers on either side of his hips and the bow leaning against the wall behind him, a quiver of arrows by it. A blue and green bird, of vibrant shades of those two colors, long feathers and bright eyes, perched on Ethril's shoulder. "Teysa, meet Alaric. Not an elven name, but it suits the bird. He was the one who spotted you first. He's my bind mate- elves are destined to bind with one animal in the wilderness, and they become the same being, almost. The creature remains a different mind and soul, but gains the intelligence and lifespan of an elf. Even if gravely injured, my bind mate will always heal, as long as I live. But he dies if I do." He explained. "We can communicate through a telepathic link. I won't pretend to know everything about it- magic never was my strong suit. I know combat charms, and that is all. Good thing, considering we are in this mess because of magic."

"Now, shall we begin? We have much to discuss. I've asked that we be left in privacy to discuss the terms of the agreement between our people. You have said you are willing to fulfill the agreement. Are you fully aware of the conditions?"

Even as he asked, Ethril knew she wasn't. She clearly didn't know about the betrothal. The agreement stated that the human princess would travel to the stronghold when she became of marrying age, and there would be wed to the Prince of Leaves in the custom of the elves. Following this, the two armies would work together to end the invasion of the drow and rid the land of the curse. After that was begun, at the next opportunity, the couple would travel to the human capital, and a festival would be held in addition to a human wedding ceremony.

But she clearly knew none of this. And he was enjoying being a step ahead of her, having read the full agreement. The other elves had seen her, and while they didn't know the details, they knew this meant action.

Time for the elves to fight back.

The smile that was shared did not go by Teysa at all, it seemed this elf did have more of a sense of humor and was not just simply playing games. Good, she would not have the patience for games to continue on while she had to work with the elven prince. Really once she got to thinking about it all, this Prince had not been properly raised in a royal setting. His parents were slain, that much she knew, so he was having to go off of what he thought rather than what he should have been taught. She stepped in as quietly as she could the soft leather of her worn boots making no more sound and actually muffling some of her own natural footfall. Sitting in the chair next to him she ignored his comment about the elven dress, even if it was tight it was much better than a corset at any given time.

She listened carefully as he explained about the bird and did her best not to take offense to not being annouced as Princess Teysa, it was just an animal after all, bound or not. "That is very interesting, I have much to learn about the elven people. It must be hard though trying to keep the old ways with such little numbers," She mused not having to feign her interest. The bird was lovely, but thankfully quiet. Out of all the animals in the world birds were on the short list of ones she did not like, they were too noisy and easy to spook. Still, she kept that little tid bit to herself.

Nodding when he asked her if they should continue she realized that her legs were not properly tucked under the chair and cursed herself mentally. It had been a few years since she was in court and here she was in front of the elven prince as the representative of all the humans messing up on such silly little things. Without a break on her face her feet gracefully tucked under the chair letting the material of the dress hid them. Though she looked almost the perfection of a court lady there was the underlying tone of a tiger ready to strike with her. "No, as I said before my father was very vague on everything. He told me it would all become clear either when I arrived here or once I saw him again with you by my side after this first retaliation against the Drow. I know also that we must get our numbers together and draw out your one last living relative who commands the dark army. It is said that the curse will never fade until they are slain as well," She sat up a bit straighter feeling proud of herself for knowing this much at least. Some of that had been overheard but her father had confirmed it true when she brought it up to him.

"But please, tell me everything you know." Teysa said with another small smile leaning back in her chair as if ready for a good story.

Ethril nodded slowly as she listed the things she did know. But he bit his lips, eyes watching her, knowing this would not turn out well at all. She was strong and willful, and he doubted the forcefulness of the situation would make her like it at all. He stood, Alaric soaring from his shoulder and out the door as he did so. If Ethril acknowledged the departure, it wasn't aloud.

The slender prince crossed the room to a painting of the great woven capital before the fall, and his fingers played over the paint. The frame slid aside to reveal a compartment with a roll of parchement, undecorated, but old. He carefully picked it up and slid the painting back into place, returning to his chair.

"There are some terms of the agreement that you are missing, and probably the ones you'll care about most." He said quietly. He unrolled the scroll and weighed it down with brass weights, keeping it open for reading. "Yes, yes, kill my relative, two forces working together in our retaliation, elves cleansing the land as we march. All of that is correct." He agreed.

"But, at the time, as our kind was falling, the elves weren't sure that the humans could be trusted wit our continued existence. The people demanded a bond of some sort, a vow that would ensure that the human race did not turn on us. A promise, secured in magic, making sure it would not be broken." Ethril sighed, glanced at the pretty princess, then down at the paper before him, a slender finger indicating a line, which he began to read aloud.

"When the eldest daughter of the human royal line comes of age, she shall not be promised to another. In order to secure the support of the human race, she shall not be bound in marriage to any other being besides that which continues the royal line of the ancient elves, the Prince of Leaves, Ethril of Annealorie. They shall be wed in the custom of the elves within a week of their reuniting, and then, with the force of elves accompanying them, they shall join the human force for the initial assault against the cursed race. After this assault is made and the second phase of planning is to begin, the couple will then return to the human capital and be married under their customs." Ethril stopped at the end of a line, looked up, an unreadable expression on his face.

"Quite simply... You're my bride, Lady Teysa, and I your groom." He said quietly.

The small hesitation the elf had on his face made her heart stop. There was something to this that she was not going to like. That was easy as well to see now with that look on his face as well as the fact her father had not told her outright. It was funny to her to see males afraid to speak on certain things around her. Much more preferred than if they withheld them as an insult to her intelligence like they did with so many other females in court. Watching carefully as he walked to the large painting, something else she would make sure to study in depth if the time allowed, and moved it aside grabbing the drying parchment. Saying nothing she sat there poised watching every movement carefully. There was a tension in the air and she felt left out, something that would enrage her if it had been one of her men. Right now though she had to see this elf as an equal. As the parchment was laid out before her she leaned forward seeing the scrawling handwriting she did not recognize from any other official documents, maybe an elf had transcribed it.

When he glanced back up at her her stomach felt like it was trying to fall out of her butt. That did not sound good, and also very personable. As Ethril continued to read the knot in her stomach tightened and her head boiled. On the outside her face was still calm, only the hardening of her eyes gave away the turmoil in her mind. This was not happening. Sure she knew she would not be able to choose her husband, and was really two years over the marrying age which was 'excused' because of the war, but this was sprung on her without any preparation. She felt like tugging her hair and screaming loudly until it changed but that would not help. At least he had finally called her 'Lady Teysa,' Suddenly in a fluid movement she was on her feet next to the table and leaning over the document her eyes wildly searching the writing until she came upon what had just been read to her. There is was, as well as her fathers scrawling signature underneath.

"Well," She breathed out through controlled lips sounding clipped and indifferent about the news taking a few steps back from the table, her hips still swaying below the elven dress. "A week? I expected to be out there fighting in a weeks time. They did not think about that very well did they?" She huffed still having the apathetic air about her as she slowly paced the room her right hand resting on the hilt of her steel blade while the left casually pushed back her silky hair out of her face. "You've been enjoying the fact that I have not known this whole time, especially in the bath," Turning to face him a small heat was in her cheeks, a mix of anger and embarrassment. She did not know what to say so went for her blunt honesty she was so well known for by her men, "I have no idea how to react. I know I should be joyous, 'oh thank the gods i have a husband at long last,'" saying the last part in a very girly voice and throwing a hand over her forehead but no trace of laughter in it as the hand fell and her face went stoic. "But I'm really beginning to think this is all a bad dream or joke and I have an older sister locked away in a tower with her long blonde hair hanging down waiting for you to climb it,"

Ethril bit his lip again. "I'll admit that, while you didn't know, I found some enjoyment in judging your reactions to me." He said. "And by no means do I expect you to be overjoyed by this arrangement. It is not something most people would wish for. And few human women would likely wish for a elven partner." He added.

"Additionally, I believe the week was... At most. A week at most. I don't know if we were expected to marry upon your arrival, but I think the negotiations anticipated your awareness of the terms before you arrived." He mused, remaining seated in the polished wood chair, wrists resting on the table. "As for the older sister with long hair and the climbing... I feel as though I'm missing a key but of human culture that makes that understandable." The reference to a children's story was not something he had ever expected to need in relations with humans. "But I have no intention of climbing anyone's hair."

"While the whole betrothal issue is important, perhaps it would be best that we talk over other details, and you might... Gather your thoughts... Tonight?"

"As for it being a bad dream... If it is, I'd really like to wake up. Need I remind you that you and your army are our last hope, and my last hope for revenge?"

Teysa gave him a cold hard stare when he admitted to finding enjoyment holding the information over her head and it stuck as he continued to speak, making her rooted to the spot she was standing, directly across from him and the damned parchment. As he continued to speak and seem amused by it all still her gaze only hardened as did her entire body. He thought this funny? It was all she could do not to spit in his very direction and march out of there. The dark ones could have this fucking forest! No crops could grow in it anyways. When he finally stopped she took in a deep breath needing a few more seconds to keep her tongue from being so sharp.

"Well, not knowing that story just proves you were indeed not brought up correctly," She wickedly grinned at him daring a step forward. "And no, you need not to remind me of a single thing Prince Ethril," She made sure to put his title back in place. It was a passive way of letting him know what little good terms they had been on was out the window for the moment, "Thank you though for putting the chips in my favor though and speaking that you and yours need me and mine," A somewhat devilish smile came upon her face, once he would learn to enjoy as their time together passed. "The other details? I have five thousand men waiting at the flatlands for my signal to run or to charge in. Charging in blind would be a bad idea, as we cannot hope to traverse the terrain with our heavy infantry and calvery. I left them over two weeks ago only to find the massive Drow army heading right for them, and my father will not be able to flank without some guidance. A small band needs to be sent to him immediately to let him know of the position to strike at, while I head back to the main host with you and your people," Her voice was even as she spoke letting him know she knew well what she was talking about.

"With all the being said, Prince Ethril," She gave another coy smile to him, "I want the full week since this was a surprise. I think a celebration of two folds would be much better do you not agree? Joining of the two races as promised as well as the first victory? At least both races will be present for both 'weddings'," It would be more fitting to be married to this elf surrounded by their warriors they both lead near the battlefield. A small smirk spread across her face as she waited his reaction.

With the wicked smile and the use of his title, he could tell that she was just as furious with this arrangement as he had anticipated. He continued to appear relaxed in his chair, as his ability to remain calm as his ally here. "Brought up incorrectly, or brought up with different stories." He shot back, fingertips drumming on the parchement as he carefully rolled it back up and returned it to its hiding place, sealing the painting back in place.

he then rolled a map out onto the table. While he might come to enjoy that smile later, currently, it unnerved him. "I have two hundred and fifty warriors, divided into ten units of twenty five. One can be sent to your father now. If five groups hide in the trees along the edge of the flatlands, the drow will not see then as they emerge and are distracted with the sight of your forces. Then those units can attack from behind."

"As for waiting until we can celebrate victory and mrriage... I think that bends the terms of the agreement slightly, but we shall manage. I will agree to wait the week, on one condition." He said, and Alaric soared into the room, dropped a wooden box into Ethril's palm, chirped softly, and soared away. Ethril carefully opened the box and produced a gold band, intricately carved, adorned with small leaves. He placed it on the edge of the table closest to her. "A promise cuff." He explained, retrieving the matching cuff from the wood container and sliding it onto his slender wrist.

Teysa watched him with careful eyes as he had shot back to her statement, at least this elf had wit about him. It would only make it worse if he was drab or slow, funny how she could find something that would make this situation even worse. Staying where she was her grey eyes followed his movements taking in the way the muscles under his taunt skin moved, even they seemed more graceful than her own. She knew he was strong, but she had of course had fantasy about a large burly man tossing her around and they would stay just that, fantasy. Her thoughts were pulled back to what they really needed to be worrying about, and that was the men. "I have a few men from the Northern Mountains that know how to get around that can be in the forest with your men," She added before the bird had come in.

The dark haired female stayed as if she was rooted to her spot as Ethril's pet dropped off the wooden box. There was curiosity there but she waited not saying anything and letting him explain. She looked at the cuff without reaching out for it right away. It was interesting to her and an actual smile followed by a light laugh came from her lips as her fingers finally brushed the gold band playing with it carefully in her small hands. "This entertains me, you think that I should keep this on me during battle? Not only could it be damaged, but everyone knows who I am and that I am not to be touched in such ways," The princess' eyes flickered up to meet his noticing that he had placed his band on, something she had not expected. She usually had to fight to be seen as an equal, it was never given like this. That idea alone sparked interest in her mind, but nothing in her outer looks gave that away. Without saying anything else she slipped the cuff on her right wrist since she was left handed and knew it was safer on that wrist. "Do you mind showing me where I can sleep tonight? I do expect we are leaving in the morning?"

Ethril let out a soft chuckle. "The band won't break." He said. "Precisely the opposite. It binds us as one. Our energy is combined and the bracelets will use that energy to keep us both alive for as long as possible. It is an ancient charm known to my people as the vielt warnei- two together." He explained. "As for the other bit. I have very few worries about others attempting to claim you. Not many would try to envoke the wrath of an elf. It is tradition and symbolic, that we will be one."

His eyes drifted back to the map. "That will work. Yes, yes.. your rooms." He said, standing and striding quickly to the door, which he held for her as he ushered her out. "The entire fortress is in tune with my mind. If you need something, you need only call for me or a servant." He added, placing her hand on his slender, yet strong, left arm as he led her up the graceful sloping stairway to a silver door.

"Your rooms, lovely Teysa." He said with a box, opening the door to a simple, yet beautifully graceful room. There were no harsh edges, only curves and golden flourishes, a soft bed filling one wall, a wash-basin to one side, a wardrobe. "Everything you might need."

Teysa looked down at the bracelet she had slipped on as he spoke. Of course he was now just letting her know more of the details once it was around her slender wrist. This whole habit he seemed to have of not telling her everything was getting under her skin but she had to not show it, there would be time later hopefully. Then again, if the bracelet would let them both be able to stay alive longer there was some benefit to it. Nodding her head sightly she strolled out of the room still feeling odd in the smaller elven dress that showed off her human figure almost a bit too much. If she was to marry this man though this dress was nothing compared to what he would get to see very very soon. "Thank you, I just need sleep and my items returned to me. Rest will Prince Ethril," She slid her small hand off his arm and bowed into the room before shutting the door as polite as she could. Soon as it was she ran to the large bed, grabbed up a pillow, and the scream that had been caught in her throat finally came out. It was full of anger, despair, and weariness. Kicking off her boots she fell back onto the bed her face still hidden in the pillow. It was so soft and comforting, it had been sometime since she had the chance to lay in an actual bed and the young human princess was out for the count.

Someone was in her room. She knew it the moment she woke up, even though her eyes stayed shut. Listening she knew the footsteps were too heavy for an elf, unless there was a well fed one walking around, and Teysa sat up. Sometime during the night she had shifted to the center of the bed and managed to be under the covers but the elven dress still clung to her body like a second skin. Her black hair fell in curls around her as her grey eyes fell on Tarkus who was walking around while he munched on a fruit that he had plucked from the basket. "Good Morning Princess, I figured you would be awake before me," The young man grinned at her then sat down in the one chair provided letting out a sigh.

"Good Morning Tarkus, I am glad to see you are well," Teysa threw her legs off the side of the bed then went about lacing her boots back on. She noticed in the corner her items had been returned to her. "I need to change. Go find the Prince and make sure we are ready to leave shortly," She quipped at him and the tall young man nodded leaving the room without a second thought, though Teysa was sure he had lewd images in his mind. It took her not long at all to be back in her dark leather armor she was known for wearing. The small blades she kept around her thigh had been sharpened and the metal on her shoulders, arms, and legs had been polished as well. Keeping her sword strapped to her side she walked out of the room having left the dress draped over the side of the bed she had made out of habit and looked around. Where would Ethril be? The golden cuff was safe under her guantlent but she could feel it pulsing around her skin when she thought of the Elven Prince. That could be a good or bad thing.

Her strong quick strides got her to the room they had been in the night before to discuss the beginning of the war plans but she paused at the door. Even though there was no way she knew if he was inside or not she had to take a moment. They were about to go against a massive Drow army, her head had to be right. Teysa had men to lead and to keep alive, the thought of having to marry this elf was not letting her have a clear head. The real reason she had asked for a week was to not have even more thoughts entering her head, or new experiences. The battle was more important to her than any royal decree made without her consent. Taking in a breath she straightened herself and opened the door wondering if she was right that he would be in here.

Ethril's eyes, surprisingly, were not on her body, but rather upon her grey eyes, watching her, trying to puzzle his way through her hidden thoughts and desires. "Good night, fair Lady Teysa." He said quietly as the door shut behind her. Then the soft leather of his boots allowed him to quietly climb to the topmost level of the spire, where the royal bedchambers were located. With a soft sigh, he paced through his door. Inside, a four poster bed was draped with semi-transparent silk curtains and the windows curtained in the same material. On the wall opposite the bed, two large glass doors opened onto a balcony, letting a soft breeze into the room, stirring the light fabrics slightly. Golden glowing orbs hovered in the air above the center of the room, giving off a light glow to light the room.

Ethril paced across the room and out onto the balcony, leaning on the railing and considering the fortress below. In twelve hours, most of them would leave this place. The children and those that could not fight would hide away in the hidden caverns. And the High Elves would reclaim their homeland.

And what about his human bride? Could they have children together? Would they? Would their two nations become one under a family of mixed blood? A half-elf, half-human nation, ruled by half-elves, half-humans?

With another soft sigh, he turned and walked back into his room, picking up a small candle on a metal base and moving to the center of the balcony, holding the candle in his hands. A soft spell lit the candle as he sat cross-legged, meditating, clearing his mind and his thoughts. He sat there for many minutes, until standing quietly, extinguishing his candle and going off to bed.

The next morning he was awoken by Alaric calling to him softly from the balcony. Ethril sat up slowly, eyes opening as his white hair spilled across his pillow. He motioned for the bird to come to him as he sat up, the brilliantly-colored creature perching on his shoulder. "Go and rouse the soldiers. We march today." He instructed, and with a chirp, the bird flew off.

Ethril crossed to a side closet, which he threw open, revealing his armor. What he had worn the day before was hunting armor, designed for speed as the greatest defense. What hung in this closet was war armor. Elegant curves of metal fastened together to light leather. It was nothing like the heavy suits of plate worn by human males, but it was more tough than their usual armor. He began to fasten it around his linen-clad body, strapping the curves knives to his belt and to his inner shin, on the outside of his tall leather boots. The golden accents on the metal and leather announced his rank and status, but other than that, his armor was just like all the other elves.

Except his helm. It was designed in a manner similar to the others, which was a metal hood-like creation that slid over the head. Ethril's was not. His was instead a laurel crown, golden and intricate, which sat upon an elegant metal helm. He placed it under his arm, fastened his quiver and how to his back, his sword to his hip, and strode out the door.

As he descended the step, he cast his mind out to check on the Fortress. He located everyone, and was about to relax when he felt something. A man in Teysa's room. With a little focus, he identified the man as the human male. Hm. Nothing was happening, but it was worth his notice.

He moved past the door just as the other man was exiting, and the stare that came from the Prince's eyes would have terrified a Drow. But his pace didn't break, and the tall, lithe Prince stormed past the human and down to the meeting room.

When Teysa arrived, Ethril was standing by the map, considering it. "Good morning. I trust you slept well?" He said softly, glancing up at her. "The soldiers will be gathering in a few minutes. I plan to address them before we depart, heading for the battleground where the Drow will meet with your father's force. We should arrive a day or so before the Drow do."

Back
Top Bottom