Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Photographer's Dilemma (Traveler and I)

Adin's eyes softened at her concession to reschedule dinner. "That's very considerate of you, Adela. I appreciate that." He nodded and allowed her to go ahead of him as he took out his planner and adjusted his notes on the calendar. A few strides later he had caught up to her and they walked to his room. He dressed in a dark grey suit with a black silk shirt underneath. He realized that he didn't know what color dress his future fiancee would be wearing, so he took several ties and carried them with him to the room where the shoot was going to be.

While the duke dressed, Scott was setting up his cameras and fiddling with the lighting. He looked up at the sound of crisp steps and saw her -- Rose took his breath away. He had been adjusting the legs on a tripod and now straightened up slowly, his eyes traveling over every curve of her under the black, strappy dress she was wearing.

"My day just got better," he said, the corner of his lips curving up slightly. "I can't believe that this dress was sanctioned by the queen." Once he was able to pull his eyes away from her he blinked and then noticed Prince Michael. The photographer smiled in greeting before turning his eyes back to Adela. "How was your day?"

A few minutes later Duke Adin strode in, the ties still loosely draped over his left arm. He took one look at Adela's outfit and stopped in his tracks.

"Perhaps a tie isn't called for? I didn't realize that this would be a casual shoot." His steps began again, measured strides to take him to Adela's side. They made a handsome couple in their black outfits. "We're almost dressed like we should be attending a royal funeral." His eyes grew slightly serious. "I suppose that's appropriate; we are considering dying to our individual selves and coming back as two halves of a complete whole. It's eerily poetic."

Scott looked from Rose to Adin and then back again. They were a striking couple. They looked good together, and despite his personal attraction to the princess, he had to admit that what the duke said was rather romantic.

"Maybe it was, maybe I just pulled it out of my closet." Adela smiled and shook her head. "Who cares? Heads up though, we might be doing this again." She smiled again and shrugged her shoulder, "I couldn't stop comparing you to Adin." She said softly and shook her head. "He's business minded and I guess it's taking some time to get used. If I get used to it, that is." She turned when she heard footsteps and she looked at her Fiancé. She personally saw it as a done deal because the contracts were written up and ready to be signed in a couple days. There was no getting out of this.

Funeral. Great way to put it. Adela just gave him a fake smile and nodded her head, "I guess it could be seen like that.The death of one to make the other happy." In other words, the death of me to make you happy. "But don't tell my mother that. She won't want to hear the wedding that she is planning compared to a funeral."

She moved to her spot on the couch and sat down. She felt the dress raise up to a completely different height and she stood to tug it down a bit before sitting down again. She was showing a lot more thigh than her sister in law's were but she didn't care too much. Her mother was going to flip though.

She took the pictures she had to take with Adin but she she saw Andrew and Oliver pass the door she called them in. She sent a text to Michael and he came in a few minutes later. "Let's get these over with too." Andrew and Oliver stood in the back while Michael, Adin and Adela sat on the couch. They took a couple pictures like that. "Adin, can we have a picture with just us?" She pointed to her brothers and waited for him to leave. She shuffled to the middle and had the twins sit on either side of her Michael like they did when they were kids.

That was when she really started to shine. Just her and her brother's. They took formal shots with normal smiles but it only lasted a few minutes before they started acting up. She put bunny ears behind Michael and Oliver's heads and Michael did it to Andrew. They made silly faces and had fun. Her smiles were real and she looked like she was having a good time because she was.

"No, not the death of one to make the other happy." Adin scowled at her as if she had just spat on his hand-made shoes. "Don't put words into my mouth." He looked at her as if he'd like to scold her further, but then Scott cleared his throat and made a soft scraping sound as he adjusted a tripod, and the duke remembered that they were in mixed company.

Mixed, of course, being 'them' and the 'servants'.

He sat with her and they took a few pictures, but then she waved in her brothers and texted the other, and Adin felt the barrier go up faster than he would have thought possible. He had heard about her silliness, but he had hoped that she had grown up slightly during her time abroad. He frowned at her when she sat with just her brothers and began to make silly pictures.

As they frolicked and relaxed, Adin looked at his watch and then crossed his arms. His expression was anything but approving. "These will be for the family's private collection, of course," he informed Scott. "If any of these are leaked to the press I shall hold you personally responsible."

The American photographer had the nerve to glance at Adela as if she was in charge. "Uh, all the pictures belong to the king and queen, Sir." He wet his lips and straightened to face him. "It's for them to decide what they do--"

"She's my future wife, and I say what happens to her pictures. These... childish shots... are for the family's private collection only. They are not for public eyes." He turned to look at Adela. "Once we're married there will be no such silliness or child's play."

Adela watched Adin threaten Scott and she squeezed Michael's leg to get him to watch. She looked at Scott when he glanced her way and nodded her head. He had her protection and the protection of the royal family. Adin could threaten all he liked but eh couldn't do anything to him.

Adela stood when Adin spoke to her. She looked at Scott, "I would love a copy of all the photos I took with my brothers. Even the childish ones, as my fiancé' likes to put it. I will stop by your room with a flash drive so you can download them on to it." She smiled at Scott and smiled at Adin even bigger.

Her brothers snickered on the couch at her blatant disobedience. "Don't worry Scott. My fiancee' seems to think he runs my life and we aren't even married. If you are threatened and my brothers and I are not around let one of us know. I will make sure it is threatened. You shouldn't be punished for doing your job."

She had a feeling she was going to get a big scolding when they were alone but did he dare do it front of her brothers again? She could pull the tears out then he brothers would come to her defense in no time but she thought against it. She could fight this battle on her own and she would. He wasn't going to control her. Andrew and Oliver stood and kissed Adela's temple before leaving. Michael stood in the back but after a while he left as well. Scott still had to break down his camera so Adela walked out of the room and started to walk towards the dining room for dinner.

Adin's jaw tightened at her outburst. Copies of the pictures? Was she really defying him in front of the others like that? The American photographer at least had the good sense to shut his mouth and quietly start packing his things up. It was good when servants knew their place.

For his part, Scott felt like he was caught between massive walls of rock that were slowly closing in. He could climb as fast as his arms and legs would take him, but he wouldn't reach the top in time to avoid being pressed into a messy form of Scott-jelly that wouldn't be suitable to put on any kind of toast. He was doomed. Like a spider swirling around and around the toilet bowl as the water rushed out, there was no place to gain purchase and no hope of escape.

Duke Adin waited until her brothers cleared out and then followed her into the hallway. Once they were out of earshot of the photographer he grabbed Adela's arm and spun her around to face him. "Who do you think you are? Your defiance might be considered 'cute' by your family, but once you are my wife there will be no more of this nonsense. I will not tolerate such disrespect in the presence of others."

He glared at her as if he could melt her on the spot. "Remember that this marriage is wanted by both your family and mine. We are not the only two who would be affected if we call this whole thing off."

Adela yanked her arm back from him and gave him her own deadly glare. "Who do you think you are? You do not put your hands on me!" She chuckled a little bit, "Let's talk about the things that I won't tolerate. Shall we?" She stepped up to him to prove that she wasn't afraid of him. She grew up with three older brothers if he dared touch her he would regret it. She may be a princess but she could protect herself; even in the designer heels she was wearing now.

"Your attitude." She put a finger up to signal that was the first thing, "Treating me like a child. Scolding me like a child will get you nowhere."

She put another finger up, "Your idle threats. If you want to leave the door is open. Last I checked you were the Duke and I was the princess. I could find another suitor in a heart beat."

She added one more finger, "Your stupid predictions about how marriage will be ran. You said it wouldn't be the death of one for the other but you are constantly telling me I will be different when we are married. No, I will not be changing for you. We can learn to adapt or we can just not get married. It's that simple."

She backed off and looked away from him. She did not want a marriage like Andrew's. "I will not fight with my husband every night. I will not change to appease you." She crossed her arms over her chest and watched him. "When you are ready to speak to me like an adult, like your fiancée, let me know. You will get better reception from me."

She walked away and went up the stairs towards her room. She closed and locked the door. She slid out of her dress and sat on her bed while she set up some soothing music. She rolled out a yoga mat, intent on ignoring the world for a little while.

Her anger, her rebellion, the way she pulled her arm away... it turned him on. Adin clenched his teeth in irritation, but some of it was locked up in wanting to drag her off to his room and ravage her. Perhaps tie her to the bed rails. He wanted to make her beg him to give her sweet release and hear her panting in heated desire for him to enter her and plunge deeply, again and again.

He smiled at her back as she stalked away. He checked his schedule and saw that he had nothing on it that did not include her. Now was the time to try another tactic.

Adin went to her room and knocked. "Adela? Adela... come and walk with me. Let's talk with each other and work this out. You and I have not truly met; I think the stress is making everything worse."

Adela rolled her eyes when she heard his voice. "I'm trying to destress." She said to herself and stood up from the downward doggy position. She grabbed her robe and walked to the door unlocking it and letting Adin in. She grabbed the remote to her sound system and turned off the soothing music.

"I don't want to go for a walk so if you want to talk you may sit on the bed and talk." She told him and sat on the floor with her feet together. She closed her eyes and sat up nice and straight. She took a deep breath through the nose and exhaled through her mouth. For a moment she forgot she wasn't wearing anything but her underwear under the robe.

She stood again and walked into her closet so she could put on something more covering. She came out with a pair of Nike running shorts and a sports bra. It wasn't that much different than a bra and panties but she felt better in this than the flimsy panties she was wearing.

"If I'm going to be scolded for walking away from you, you can leave now." She told him. She sat down once again on the mat.

Adin looked around her room, dismayed at the way everything seemed to have a chaotic, somewhat haphazard arrangement to it. He found a corner of her bed that looked habitable and gingerly sat on it.

"Adela," he watched her walk away to get dressed. When she returned it was difficult for him to not notice how good she looked. He instantly wanted her. "I haven't been fair to you."

He studied her as she sat on the mat. "I never considered that this is more than a business arrangement between two people. It seems like I need to schedule some time to be, ah... spontaneous... with you." He shook his head and smiled sadly. "Adela... I don't know how to be a proper boyfriend, let alone a husband."

He pressed his lips together and slid off the bed to kneel on one knee next to her. "If you give me a chance I'll do whatever I can to make you happy. I know that we aren't getting off on a good start, but... would you allow me to try to make you happy? Would you marry me?" He opened a box to reveal a pristine, pale pink diamond ring that had been in his family for generations. He looked over at her in her workout clothes as she sat on her mat and hoped that everything would remain on schedule.

Her eyes were closed when he spoke, not because she wasn't listening but because she was trying to relax. With her eyes closed she rolled her eyes, "That's obvious. You're entire life is a business plan."

He got her full attention when he spoke of being spontaneous. She surprised the urge to agree with his being a bad boyfriend. They both knew it was true and he was trying to talk. No need to poke him further.

She swallowed hard when he got off the bed. She reasoned that he was just trying to be the same height as her even though when he was kneeling he was still taller. When he did spontaneous he went all out. She was hoping for dinner. Hell, she was expecting dinner but this is what she got. Work out clothes, after a fight, in her messy bedroom.

She took a deep breath and stared at the ring. At least he got the ring right. Not too flashy, something beautiful with a history behind it. She didn't know the history just yet, but she would find out. She was sure it lived a fabulous life before it made it to her finger. She forgot for a moment that he was still waiting for her answer. She looked up and opened her mouth. She closed it and thought of the answer. If it were solely up to her she would have said no. He wasn't what she wanted, at all. This wasn't up to her though. It took months of planning. Multiple contracts that were read through and negotiated. He already knew the answer because it was the answer she had to say.

She closed the box and pushed it back to him. "You should wait. Do at dinner. My mother will want to see the proposal. Her grand plan all coming together. If we leave now we can still make it." She stood and walked into her closet. She was out of view of Adin so she had no problem getting undressed and sliding back into the dress. She put her shoes on and walked out. She zipped herself up and checked her make up in the mirror.

"Scott will be there to take pictures of the glorious moment. I'm sure she will love that." She sighed and tugged her dress down. "Come on, I know how much you hate to be late."

Why the hell wasn't she answering him? He watched her close the box and return it, and then he found his hand reaching out and taking it.

Adin was speechless. This wasn't what he had planned for this moment.

"No..." he waited until she was dressed. "Adela, my entire life was planned from conception until now. I don't want to ask you in front of the cameras and our family. I want this to be between you and me."

He signed and walked over to her. For some reason the idea of their private moment being photographed by that American made his stomach turn. "This moment is what matters. If this is worth working on, then let's go forward. Otherwise... I'll leave. I'm scheduled to be here another few days, but I'm not going to steal any more of your time if you don't want me here."

He wanted her to say that she wanted him there. He believed that, if she said it, she might being to mean it. Women couldn't be that hard to manage, could they?

"No..."

That wasn't what she was expecting to hear but he was chalk full of things she wasn't expecting today. She looked at his reflection in the mirror and turned to face. For a second, for a split second she saw a version of him she never saw before. He wasn't talking about business or his calendar. He was talking about them.

A different version of him did exist. She would justify have to dig him out. Once his 'heartfelt' speech was over it was up to her again. Did she dare say no and upset her parents and pursue a relationship with Scott? Or did she try to make it work with Adin and see if she could dig out the part of him that didn't rely on the planner on his phone.

"Yes." She swallowed and looked up at him. Yes could mean a lot of things. Yes, go ahead and leave. Yes, stay and let's make it work.

"I'm not in workout gear, sitting on my yoga mat with my hair up in a messy bun anymore. I'm dressed, nicely and still a little shocked that you proposed in the first place but if you were willing to do it again, I would be willing to give you a proper answer."

He tilted his head. Yes? Was that a yes, you need to go? Or did she mean that she was saying 'yes' to his proposal? His ego chose the second option. Adin's eyes flicked across her outfit, taking in her sensual curves and the way she had moved across the room. He supposed he should be glad that she was so fetching in her beauty. He'd still have obliged his family's proposal if she had been homely, but beautiful was a much more appealing prospect.

Since he was still dressed from their photo shoot he did not need to change. They looked like they had spent the last hour in each other's company. "Very well. I'll ask you 'properly', if that's what you desire, dear Adela." He slid the velvet box into an inner pocket of his jacket, then offered her his arm.

A quick glance at his watch revealed that they would be a few minutes late, but not overly so. What was it they called that? 'Fashionably late'? He supposed it would not kill him to be off-schedule for their engagement weekend, though he had to ensure that she did not think that it was something that he intended to make into a habit. His mind was already on next week's scheduled meetings; a small summit with Algerian's minister of commerce, then a flight to Italy to speak with the minister of finance regarding some aircraft they were considering purchasing. It would be a relatively light week for this time of year. Perhaps he could schedule another visit to these islands afterwards, to cement the marriage contract and finalize the dates of the wedding and their honeymoon.

Scott had already set up still cameras and the three video cameras that were requested, since tonight was anticipated to be a special setting. Normally the royal family did not allow video or audio recordings of their personal life, but tonight might result in a news release and the queen had mentioned that she wanted to ensure that the edited release was perfect. It made the photographer's insides crawl in dread anticipation. Nonetheless, he noted the seating arrangement and made sure that the lighting was adequate without appearing too intrusive. Then he slipped off to the kitchen to grab a quick bite before the royal family arrived.

He found himself sitting at the large butcher block table in the middle of the kitchen and picking at a sandwich. Why did she have to be the princess? And why did she have to be engaged?

Adela took his arm and walked with him out of the room. At least this way she had more time to think. She chastised herself for making him go through it again. Only this time her answer would be better. Her thoughts went to Scott. He already knew she was engaged, but it felt more real now. Any chance of running off with him was fleeting with every step she took with Adin. She felt like a real person when she was with Scott. She felt like a child when she was with Adin. She looked up at him and he seemed to be lost in his own thoughts. She guided him towards the garden. It was a nice place for a proposal.

At least she was getting this. She din't get to choose her husband but she was slightly getting to choose where she was proposed too. She already knew they were late for dinner. She always was. She didn't mean to be most of the time. Time just slipped away from her. She wondered how Adin would feel about that. He would probably chew her ear off later.

"The ring is beautiful." She said softly and looked at Adin. "You did a very good job picking it out." She smiled at him and looked ahead again.

She was never good at small talk. If it didn't carry itself then she was left out in the dark. They were able to see the garden and she swallowed hard. She would have to say yes. No matter what she wanted. It was what her mother wanted and that was all that matter. Happy queen, Happy life. She dragged her feet a little bit. She wasn't ready to sign her death sentence just yet. She needed more time but she doubted Adin would give her any. She took a deep breath and they walked through the double door to the outdoor garden.

They walked towards a small gazebo where her great grandmother and grandmother were proposed too. Her father went off course and proposed in a lavish way. Adela didn't want lavish. She wanted simple. They walked the three steps up and she stood in the middle. The sun was setting behind her ending the beautiful day and welcoming a beautiful night. She looked at his feet and rubbed her lips together.

For he mother she would do this. For her mother she would say, "Yes." She whispered before he even got to propose, again. She couldn't hear it again. She knew what was coming and what she had to say. No use in dragging it out any longer. Her throat felt dry all of the sudden. The world stopped spinning for just a second. Her stomach did a flip the wrong way and hiccuped. She covered her mouth and wondered if she would really be sick or if she was just over exaggerating.

"i'm sorry." She said to the rude behavior and put he hand back by her side.

"Thank you," Adin replied. "The ring has been in our family for generations. It is a cherished item, worthy of your hand." He looked over at her, and his eyes shone with something that might have been adoration. Or triumph. It was difficult to discern. As they walked towards the garden, he considered the dinner they were to attend. "Did you not want me to propose to you in front of your mother and family? Why are we coming out to the seclusion of the garden?"

He looked around and then at her. Impulsively he took her by both hands and turned to face her. "I meant it when I said that I wanted this to be between us. Our marriage should have a shot at happiness. I'd love to learn to love you; you seem like the kind of woman who would be a pleasure to be in love with."

Adin sighed. The night was beautiful. The setting was gorgeous. She was gorgeous. Why was this so hard? It was a simple thing; easier than most business proposals.

He knelt on one knee and looked up at her. "Adela... between the two of us. Do you think we can learn to love each other? Would you be my wife and let me try to be the husband you deserve?"

In the palace Scott had stood up at the window and was looking out into the garden. He could see the two figures at the gazebo. And then the taller figure knelt, and he could tell that it was Adin and Adela. He felt ill. It was happening - the duke was asking her to marry him!

"I'm glad you think so. I think white will look best for the engagement photos. So the pink will pop and you can wear an Abraham Darby English Rose. It would be beautiful. A photo for the ages." She smiled at the ring and looked at Adin. "You said you didn't wan to do that. you wanted this to be intimate. I always wanted to be proposed to in the garden. We are both getting what we want."

She lightly squeezed his hands and nodded her head. They should try to love each other. "I would lie that very much." She said softly. Not a conversation she thought she would have with her fiance'. She dreamed of being madly in love and not even having to think about saying yes when he proposed. She couldn't think of what she dreamed of making happen. If she was going to say yes and marry him she had to forget about that. She had to accept that she would forever be with Adin. She had to let go of Scott and the sooner she did that the better. If she didn't this would never work.

She braced her self for the question when he got down on one knee. It wasn't any easier the second time around and she already knew it was coming. She took a deep breath and looked down at his eyes. She held out her hand and let him slide on the ring. "Nothing would make me happier." She smiled at him and gave him a kiss when he stood up.

She had to admit there was a little spark. Not enough to light a fire but enough to let her know that this might just work. She sank back down to her regular height and rubbed around he lips to fix any stray lipstick. "We should go tell my parents." She switched up how they walked together now. She stood on his right said with her left hand on the crook of his elbow to show off the ring. This way it would be known with out being said. They were officially engaged.

They walked to the dining room and instantly her mother tuned into the ring. She stood up beaming at the happy couple and kissed both of Adela's cheeks and then moved to Adin and kissed his cheeks as well. All of this was done while she was saying her congratulations, as if she didn't know it was going to happen. The king stood and shook Adin's hand and then kissed Adela's forehead. "Welcome to the family." He rubbed Adela's cheek and looked at Adin, "And make this one happy." He rubbed his wife's arm in a living way and they all walked to their seat.

Champagne was poured with the appetizer, "Now we can finally talk wedding plans. I was thinking a Summer wedding. The weather is beautiful and the flowers are in bloom completely. We can have it at the church where your father and I got married and then we can bring the reception back here. These great rooms haven't seen a reception in forever--"

"You mean since my brother's got married." Adela interrupted. The queen seemed to lose a little steam but smiled at her daughter, for the cameras. "I want a Spring wedding on the beach and reception in the garden."

The queen scoffed and shook her head, "A beach wedding? Heavens no. This is not some Pinterest board of island weddings. It's bigger than that. You're all for tradition so you're getting married in the church that your father and I got married, in your grandfather and great grandfather. The list goes on you're getting married in the church."

Adela bit her tongue for a second and then through a tight smile said, "Or we can just go to Vegas. You want grandkids right? Might as well make it a quick wedding and get on with it. It might easier for Adin that way anyways. Lord knows, he will most likely be working on wedding day and honeymoon. If get a honeymoon that is."

The king interjected by clearing his throat, "There are cameras. Shape up both of you. Wedding talk will remain light and airy or it will not be talked about."

"Yes Father." Adela said softly and sipped on her champagne. She was starting to remember why she was a daddies girl.

The queen sipped on her champagne and looked at Scott, "I imagine I won't have to tell you what to do with that part of the video?"

"Is that a 'yes'?" Asked Adin when she said that nothing would make her happier. He was a stickler for details, with his background in business and contract management. He slid the ring on her hand and leaned in to kiss her, and for a moment he felt a little buzz where their lips touched. Was that... attraction?

He played it cool and smiled, allowing her to take his arm as they walked back. He noticed how their heights were perfectly complimentary, and thought that they would photograph well together. He also thought that they would have gorgeous children. He wanted two, maybe three. It would depend on how they managed their time once the children came, and whether or not Adela decided to take on pet projects.

The family's reaction was nearly overwhelming. Was this what she dealt with all of her life? Adin reassured his future father that he'd take care of Adela's happiness, then tried to ride out the whirlwind of wedding plans and scheduling. He was taken aback by the complete lack of regard concerning his schedules and timeline, and when his fiancee was berated, he felt a slight sense of encroachment.

The photographer was nodding at the queen. "Of course, Ma'am. No one will see it." He seemed to be a world apart from the excitement, though the duke thought that the American looked unusually pale.

Scott caught Adela's eye and felt a twinge of sympathy for her. If it was this bad and she was engaged to the person her family wanted her to marry, how much worse would it have been if she pushed for her own desires? He nearly felt guilty for having the freedom that the poor do to chose their own spouses.

Adin cleared his throat. "Your Highnesses, I understand the desire to keep the conversation 'light and airy' tonight, but it is prudent we do not ignore the international events that have brought us here. The Senian kingdom needs a boost, and a whirlwind romance could peak interest in the cultural and business opportunities offered here. My advisers have test marketed the idea of an unconventional 'love story' romance with a traditional one, and projected revenue growth for the region along both lines - the unexpected love story was projected to spur growth by thirty percent more."

He raised a handsome eyebrow. "Adela's idea of a modern-day wedding that catches everyone off-guard could add an additional 1.3 billion Euros to your Gross National Product in the next three years."

He raised his champagne glass in a toast. "We can discuss this tomorrow. For tonight let's celebrate the fact that Adela has made me the happiest man on earth."

Adela wasn't expecting Adin to be on her side. He had the facts behind him and her father seemed rather interested in the economy boost. She smirked at her mother and smiled at Adin. This engagement might come in handy in more ways than one.

"I would like to see the proposal you have written up. Maybe even schedule meeting to pick your brain out the process. Until then we hold on planning the wedding. I would like to see what Adin has found before we move forward." The King decreed.

Adela raised her glass to Adin's toast, "I couldn't imagine starting this new chapter in my life with any one else." She smiled at Adin to keep from looking at Scott. She didn't want to see his emotions. She already glanced his direction for a split second and it was too long. His emotions were all over his face. She was stupid for opening herself up to him. She put him in this position, she put them both in this position.

After the initial conflict, the rest of dinner went by smoothly. The king asked Adin about various business plans and Adela saw just how passionate Adin was about his line of work. The queen and Adela asked a couple questions but mainly let the men talk. Adela wasn't one to hold her tongue but she wanted how Adin talked business to get a better understanding of him.

After dinner, the king and queen retired to their rooms and Adela and Adin left to let the maids clean up. "I feel like we should get to know each other. Not just the file our parents whipped up highlighting key points in our life. If we are going to do this we should know each other. Hopes and dreams, greatest fears and I don't know hobbies? What do you want to include, if anything, in this wedding? On my mother takes over it will hard to put a stop to it. She will make it as lavish as possible and if we don't lay down what we want as soon as possible then we won't get it at all."

She rubbed her neck and looked at the ceiling. "Do you have time? To talk I mean, or should I schedule a meeting?" Not a phrase she was used to asking, or liked asking. And hopefully one day, one special day, she would be able to tall him we need to talk and he would be focused on her. No matter what he was doing, no matter how important, business would be on the back burner and she would be front and center. "I can wait if we must. I know it's been a long day."

He was very focused when it came to his responsibilities to the country. Adin saw the link between education, revenue production, and country pride, and he was also keen on the way public sentiment could sway the market. These things made him a good business manager. Fortunately he saw the nation as one large corporation. If the nation was healthy then the people were healthy.

He was also a practiced charmer. Dinner went well simply because he knew when to push and when to pull, and then when to placate without seeming like he was anything but sincere. Sentences were minor exercises in negotiations. It was an enjoyable task for him, and when the dinner was over he was rather surprised to find that he had enjoyed the company as well as the conversational topic.

After dinner they strolled towards Princess Adela's room, and she began to ask him about 'them'. It was an odd idea, that of there being a 'them' apart from their titles and their tasks. Then she did something that made him hesitate - she asked if she could schedule time with him to talk if he was too busy or tired to talk at the moment.

That was absolutely not what he had expected from the flighty, irresponsible spawn of the king and queen.

Adin turned to her and looked at her deeply. "That, my dear, is the most considerate thing I've heard from anyone in the last few months." He gently caressed her cheek with his hand and took in her expression, memorizing the lines of her lips and the sparkle in her eyes. Was there a chance that they might be more compatible than either had thought?

"I am quite tired, and it's likely that any discussion we have in the midst of such weariness won't stick with me." He chuckled. "Tomorrow after breakfast with your family I have meetings off the island until dinner, when I'm scheduled to return for our farewell dinner. Would you like to go to the meetings with me? If you email me your bullet points for conversational topics I'll give them some thought before breakfast, and I'll be more able to answer them to completion. We could have lunch together - I have ninety minutes between my pre-lunch meeting and the one after."

Adin smiled. "This may work out just fine after all."

That wasn't what she had in mind at all. Her conversation turned into a meeting. Bullet points so he could think on the topics? He was thinking too much into what they were going to talk about. She had to email him to talk to him. She just wanted to talk and he didn't seem to get that. She gave him a tight smile to mask her disappointment. If she said no to going with him then she might be seen as selfish.

"I actually have something scheduled after breakfast so I won't be able to go." It wasn't a complete lie. There was something she wanted to do tomorrow morning. Now she would actually have to do it.

"But, I can take the helicopter or the jet and meet you where ever you are for lunch. We can spend those 90 minutes together and then I can come bak or I can stay and go shopping while you work." She looked at a picture on the wall and then back to Adin.

"There wasn't anything I really wanted to talk about. I guess it would all be nonsense to you." She shrugged her shoulder and rubbed her lips together. "We can talk about whatever feels right tomorrow. Any questions we have about each other or what we expect out of the relationship. I have a feeling I already know your answer to that though." She laughed nervously and shook her head.

"I'm sorry. It's been a long day. I'm tired. I'll walk you to your room and then I should get some sleep." She turned them down a corner and took him to the second floor where the guests rooms were. Scott was on the same floor just the other side of the palace. "Good night, Adin." she said when they got to his room. She smiled at him again and turned to leave. When she got to her room she lid across her bed and staredat the ceiling. Falling in love with Adin would be harder than planned. She sighed and got off the bed. She took a shower and climbed between the sheets. She turned on her side and thought about what she wanted to talk to Adin about tomorrow.

"Oh." It never occurred to him that she would have had something planned. "I didn't see anything on your non-existent calendar," he said, teasing her lightly. "But if you want the morning to yourself that is fine too. I'll have my assistant leave my daily syllabus for you in the morning, and if you can fit me in that will be great."

As they continued to walk he took offense at her assumption. "Adela, don't presume that the topic that you want to talk about will be nonsense to me. I may not think that certain things are good investments of my time, but that would be my decision to make. For you to presume that a topic wouldn't be meaningful is demeaning to both of us. I merely..." He sighed, turning to her. "Sometimes I need to think things over before I can give you a truthful answer. Sometimes my thoughts on a topic can change, and my immediate answer is not the one I want to give after I've had time to think things through."

He smiled apologetically. "It's the lawyer in me, I suppose. I don't want to short-change you by being glib or giving you a reply that is not thoroughly considered." At his door he was about to give her a kiss on the cheek when she turned away. He frowned, but said nothing and watched her walking away.

She was a strange woman, but she was the one he was destined to marry. He might as well make the best of it.

Scott was going through the pictures in his room, wrestling with the feelings he had and the inappropriate things he had done. Well, he wasn't really inappropriate, per se, but he had been intimate with the princess. He felt a wave of guilt wash over him. Had he known... had he known who she was he would have kept a respectful distance, possibly. No - most definitely. He had never thought of himself as a cheater, or even of someone who was the 'other man'.

He put the camera away and opened the window to look out at the gardens below. Far off in the distance was the cabin. He wondered if she would go back there, or if that was a place that she went to when she wanted to hide. He sighed. This was the most messed up he had ever been.

"I apologize if I offended you." She said surprised she hit a nerve so easily. He was a perfectionist. In other words, his first answer may not appeal to her the way he would want it too so he would think it over and draft a response ready to use tomorrow. It felt like homework to her. How many time was she going to schedule a meeting and then email bullet points to him? You said you would try, so try. She told herself and took a deep breath.

"I will send you the email before breakfast."

As she laid in bed she thought of what she should talk to Adin about. She wrote it down in a small journal and decided to sleep on the topics. When she woke up the next morning, she got her laptop and got back in bed. She composed a new message and stared at the blinking cursor.

Talking points:
1. You -What do you like to do? Who is your best friend? What is your favorite food? Your favorite place? How do you unwind after a stressful day?
2. The Future -Where do you see us next year? In five years? How many kids do you want to have? Do you want pets?Which estate would we move to or would we stay in the palace or leave the country altogether?
3. The Past -What's your favorite memory? What's your worst? How was your childhood?

"Why do I feel stupid writing this?" She asked herself and leaned against the cushy pillows. "My life is a meeting. My entire life is a meeting." she stared at her keyboard and shook her head, "He's going to drag me to company events as his pretty princess wife." She rubbed her temples and shook her head. "Okay, let's keep this thing going." She read where she left off and continued.

Why don't you make your own list of questions if you have time? Don't worry about sending them to me. I don't have any other questions that I can think of. I think that, and your questions, will get us through lunch. She wondered how she should end it. "like a business proposal most likely." She laughed at herself and nodded her head. That would be perfect. Thank you for your time and effort, I'm sure our meeting will be most efficient. Sincerely, Adela Rose Carington, Princess of Sevonia.

She thought of titles. Did she dare put the whole thing? No, it would take too long to type and she already wasted an hour doing this. She should really have it saved to a notepad so she could copy and paste it. She wondered if he would take it as a joke or get his panties in a ruffle. She didn't know him well enough to tell. She should delete it to be on the safe side but if he couldn't take a joke then it was his problem. She sent the email the way it was and she closed her computer. She had some time to do her normal routine before she had to be downstairs.

After a yoga session and a shower she stared at the clothes in her closet. She sighed and picked a lace dress. It was a little short for the average bear but it got the job done and covered the vitals. It was an ivory colored dress with a body con underlay and a handmade lace overlay. It showed off her arms, kept her chest covered but it stopped just a few inches above her middle thigh. It was very leggy but she liked her legs so she showed them off regularly. She paired it with coral shoes, a bronze bracelet and diamond stud earrings. She picked a ivory wool coat on her way out of the closet and she got dressed. The coat was more for looks than anything. She still had no idea where she was meeting Adin for lunch and a helicopter ride wasn't the warmest thing so she would need it.

On top of that, where she was going this morning she would be photographed and not by Scott. So she had to be a stand out. She could see the headlines now. 'Newly Engaged Princess Dawns All White', she smiled and checked herself out in the mirror. Another headline popped into her head, 'Will the Wildchild be Tamed by Marriage?'. Of course not but it gave the press something to talk about. She grabbed her coat again nd walked to the dining room where breakfast was being held. She handed her coat off to a servant and sat next to Adin.

"Excuse my tardiness. Time got away from me again." As soon as she sat her plate was set down in front of her. "A mimosa well, please?" She asked the staff who nodded and went to get her drink.

Adin finished his shower after a hard thirty minute Tabata session in his room. Despite the cramped quarters and the equally cramped time schedule he always made sure to take care of his heath. He knew that the smartest, most clever diplomat wasn't taken as seriously if he couldn't even manage the state of his own body, so he ensured that his entire demeanor radiated 'confidence' and 'competent'.

He checked his email once he was dressed and had to smile to himself. That was cute - she used her entire title with him, as if he would not know who she was. He printed the letter out to review on the helicopter and then wrote her back. This letter he printed out to give to her, as well as emailing it to her. It was almost time for breakfast and he didn't know if she would have time to review his letter before she went to her appointments.

Briefly he wondered what kind of appointments a girl like her had. Hair and nail appointments? Champagne with her girlfriends? A final huzzah with a boyfriend? The last thought made him frown.

Well... her past was her past. He had to accept that she might have done things that would not be appropriate as a married woman, but that was all part of her 'bad girl' persona, wasn't it?

Briefly he rechecked himself in the mirror before placing her letter in a blank envelope with his insignia on it and then going downstairs. He arrived before her but he waited for her entry, albeit she was slightly tardy. He smiled at her and pulled her chair out. "You look absolutely breathtaking," he said. Her dress was slightly shorter then it would have been appropriate for a formal function, but today might not be a formal one for her. Indeed she filled it out well and looked every bit the royal princess in her modern, summery dress.

He watched her order her mimosa and found it difficult to not comment. "I take it today is not a business day for you?" His drink of choice was coffee with just enough sweetener to take off the bitterness. He sipped on water as the servants began to serve them.

"Here, I printed out my questions for your perusal today. My secretary will make sure that you have my syllabus." He handed her the envelope as the food was being served.

Dearest Adela Rose Carington, Princess of Sevonia,

I never thought of the contractual side of the marriage beyond the implications for our regions. Now that I've began to consider the personal side, I suppose I will have more questions as the day of our union nears.

Until then I would like to know if you would like me to schedule a certain number of hours for us during each week? I've read that a couple in a solid relationship requires at least twenty hours together to keep their relationship healthy, with twenty-five to thirty being the prerequisite for a new relationship or an ailing one. Do you think this will be adequate?

Also, I would like to know if there are any absolutes you would like to get out in the open. For instance, any thing you absolutely require from me as your husband, or anything that you desire to forbid in our relationship. I believe such subjects as infidelity are usually obvious, but if there is anything that you want us to work into our situation then I would like to know. For instance, do you foresee a future where the children are allowed to adopt animals into our home? Is there a certain church you wish for us to attend?

I am looking forward to learning who you are outside the tabloids.

Yours,
Adin.

"Thank you." Adela said to Adin's compliment. The dress did fit like a glove. It deserved all the attention it got. "I thought I would give the press a little preview of what my wedding dress might look like. I do love the look of ivory and lace. And if we get the beach wedding I want it would be perfect. A lot better than tulle I can tell you that.And taffeta is annoyingly noisily when you walk, so that's a no go. Lace has a certain antiqueness and sex appeal to it." She shrugged her shoulder. "Who knows what my dress will end up looking like. If my mother and I can agree on anything it will not be an off the rack dress. It will be designed just for me." She smiled but had a feeling Adin wouldn't want to talk about dresses or dress materials.

She shook her head, "Not for me. Maybe tomorrow. I have to get my hours in for the month. I was thinking of going to the orphanage to read the kids a few stories, donate some toys. I should probably do the toy shopping today and then take them over tomorrow." She thought it over. "I don't know. Today I am going to the spa with my dearest Amelia. I will make her my maid of honor and then we will get into some trouble because that is all we are good at." She laughed. Amelia was a 'troublemaker' much like Adela. When Adela was caught with her pants down, so to speak, Amelia was right there next to her in the same position. it wasn't there fault though. The paparazzi was always looking for ways to make Adela look bad.

"Not too much trouble, don't worry. I might just drag her to the toy store. Or should I take the kids to the toy store?" She got lost in thought again and show her head. "I should probably ask father before I spend that much money." She decided and looked at Adin.

She took he envelope from him, "I will read it before lunch." She looked over the envelope and then put it in her purse. "It looks so official." She teased.

"I didn't know you had a secretary." She said making conversation. "Should I be worried?" She asked teasingly, she winked at him to show she was kidding. Adin didn't seem like the type to cheat, especially when something big was at stake. "I am guessing I will be talking to her a lot. What's her name?"

He waited for the king and queen to begin their meal before unfolding his napkin on his lap. "So... You like children's charities?" That would be a nice addition to our repertoire, he thought. Very consciences and politically approved.

When she asked about his secretary he smiled. "You don't have to worry about Clarissa. She's happily married, and soon I shall be as well." He put a hand on her thigh underneath the fabric of the tablecloth. "I'm a one-woman man, Adela. I always have been and I always shall be. You have my word." He studied her for a moment, wondering what kinds of fears a woman in her position might have. Was she afraid that no one would find her lovable? Was she already in love with another?

As if on cue, Scott and his assistants quietly made their way into the dining hall to capture a few shots of the family's first breakfast after the engagement announcement. He did a decent job of not looking directly at Adela any more than he did any others, and after they were set up the trio left as quietly as they entered. The cameras clicked every few seconds but the sound was soft and barely noticeable. They turned quietly on their pedestals, capturing a few images and no words; the royal couple didn't want any 'outsiders' to hear any of their conversation after the prior night's debacle.

Once breakfast wrapped itself up, Adin excused himself to catch the helicopter to the mainland. His secretary, Clarissa, found Adela and gave her a copy of the duke's schedule. "He's looking forward to lunch with you, Princess Adela," she said, one hand moving to adjust her glasses. With them and the way her hair was pulled back she looked like a young man's sexy librarian fantasy. She looked like she was in her mid-twenties, and though she as very pretty she wore minimal makeup. Perhaps she was hired merely for her efficiency after all?

Back
Top Bottom