Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Photographer's Dilemma (Traveler and I)

The.Amazing.One

Super-Earth
Tobin Claire, butler of the Carington Family, waited by the front door for the guest to arrive. He checked his pocket watch once more only to be annoyed further by the fact that said guest was late. He huffed under his breath and finally saw the car pulling up the long driveway of the palace. The front door was opened and he walked out to greet the young man. The rain was beating against the rocky pavement of the palace grounds so with out a word he walked him in and took his coat; knowing the man's things would be taken care of.

"Welcome to the Carington household. Before you ask any questions follow me to my office where we will go over the rules and get you settled in." Tobin told the man with a posh slightly snobby voice. He walked the man to his office and pointed to where he could sit.

"My name is Tobin Claire I am the butler to the Family." He said grabbing the items that were neatly stashed in his desk drawer and set them in front of the man before him. "These are for you. The SIM card is the only one you will use during your stay. You will also find a badge; wear this at all times. It will keep you from being kicked out by security. The phone is already programmed with my number and the number of your driver. The only numbers you will need while you are working here."

Tobin grabbed a folder and pulled out four papers. He passed the first two across the desk, "Sign and date them at the bottom. This is the confidentiality agreement. Anything you hear or see does not leave these walls. If one suspects something is being leaked to the press, the contract is null and void and you will be sent home with nothing." He passed the next two, "These are rights to your pictures. Any pictures taken in the time frame beginning April 15 and ending May 28 are property of the king. Sign and date both at the bottom." He took all four papers back and checked to make sure they were all in order. He handed one of each back, "For your records."

Tobin stood and picked up a set of keys from a hook, "These are also for you. They are the keys to your room. If the door is unlocked the maids will enter and clean. If the door is locked then they will know not to enter."

He sat back down in his chair, "You are allowed free range of the grounds and the house, except the third floor of the palace. That is the family wing and you are not welcome on it. When you meet the family the first time it is customary to bow to each person; after that a slight nod of the head will do. Do not touch and do not ogle the family. You may not call them by first name, Sir or Madam will suffice. Right now the only members of the family are King George, Queen Amelia, Heir to the Throne Prince Oliver and his wife Stephanie, Prince Oliver's twin Andrew and his wife Abetha. We are waiting on the youngest son and youngest daughter to join. You have five weeks until they are both here at which point you will take the family portrait. For now you will be taking pictures of the married couples as well as the country. If you need anything at all do not hesitate to call me. I will arrange anything you need; be it lunch or a helicopter ride around the island. Now if there are any questions ask me now." Tobin sat back and gave him time to think of anything he would like to ask.

The connecting flight had been delayed, then there was a storm in Berlin and another in Greece, and so by the time Scott James Carlton made it to the tiny airport of the small but powerful kingdom he was nearly two hours' late. In his world you could miss the opportunity of a lifetime by being five minutes late, so the delay grated on Scott's nerves and he wrung the napkin in the limo with pent-up frustration. He was counting on this job. It was his first real big break not including a spread in Time-Life that called him out as being the photojournalist to watch. It was a lucky break, but it led to this assignment. For a man who spent the first six years of his life in foster care and worked as a pizza delivery guy to pay for most of college, this was a huge break. He had never even left the States until this trip.

He had worn a sleek dark suit with a dark blue silk shirt, the same outfit he had worn to the Pulitzer awards. Of course, he didn't get the prize, but it was an honor to be nominated. Now as he got out of the limo to meet the presumed first member of the royal family he was drenched in seconds. Together they hurried inside, where Scott stood for a moment in the huge foyer, intrigued and dumbfounded by the grandeur of the palace. He barely heard the man who took his coat and ushered him into a large but understated office off to the right of the entry hall.

Scott started to apologize for being late but the man began to speak. He nodded, listening, and taking the things he was handed. He hesitated before sitting on the chair - he was soaking wet, but it seemed like the man didn't care. Tobin Claire... butler... check. Wear badge always... check. He frowned at the confidentiality agreement and the phone, including the stipulation that the only two numbers he needed for the time he was going to be there was the butler's and the driver's.

As an artist he hated the idea of his work being owned by anyone else... but this job would more than pay off his student loans and it would allow him to freelance for two years if he watched his pennies. Scott unclenched his jaw after reading all the stipulations and then dated it before handing it back to the butler. The fact that he was denied access to the third floor was interesting, but he assumed it was one of those privacy issues. If someone was i the public eye all the time then it made sense that they would want something to be kept for them, and them alone.

The other stipulations; calling them Sir or Madam instead of first names, for instance, were quirky. Why even bother telling him their names if he wasn't allowed to use them? But then again... the money was good. Scott James cleared his throat when it was his turn to ask questions. He really only had two.

"Mr. Clair... I do call you Mr. Clair, don't I? Not Sir since you're, hm, not part of the family?" Okay, make that more than two. "Yes. I have few questions. I like to study my subjects before I photograph them; get to know their inner selves. How do I do that without, ah.. 'ogling' them? They know that I'm here to photograph them, right?"

He felt extremely uncomfortable as he felt the water seeping from his clothes into the heavily embroidered seat of the chair he was in. He ran a hand through his short dark brown hair and turned his grey-blue eyes towards the window. "You also mentioned that the only two numbers that I'd need are yours and the driver's. Does that mean that I'm disallowed using my personal phone and computer to keep in touch with the people back home while I'm here? And I suppose I do have one more thing - I don't know how to properly bow to royalty. Would you mind showing me what's expected?" He ended his string of questions with a smile that was higher on one side than the other, a personal habit he had when he was mostly laughing at his own strangeness and covering up his nervousness.

"You may call me Mr. Clair and I will call you Mr. Carlton." He said in a huff. He wasn't sure if Mr. Carlton was trying to make him look like a fool or not. It was obvious he was not part of the family. No need to point such a thing out. "Do not let them catch you staring, is a better way of saying. Study if you must but if they feel uncomfortable and make it known that they are uncomfortable you will be asked to leave the room. From there they will decided if they want to continue or not. I will let them know you wish to...get to know them. I am not sure how they will react." He wanted to make it known that he would try but the family liked their privacy when they were at home.

"You are allowed to contact your family or any one else if need be. The family asks that you do not see this as a vacation but as a job. They understand you have family at home but they ask that they do not influence what you do here. If for any reason you need to leave for personal matter a private jet will be arranged and you will sent home with the money you earned up to that point."

There was the slightest of smirks that came across Tobin's always stern face. He stood and gestured Mr. Carlton to do the same. "When bowing always make sure your hands are free of any objects. Never turn your back on the family when they are entering a room as it is a sign of disrespect. Keep your left hand down at your side and your right arm crosses your stomach. You bend at the waist until you can no longer see their face and then you stand. You can practice more once you are settled in your room. Follow me."

Tobin walked Mr. Carlton out of his office and up two flights of stairs. They went left down a hallway and he opened up a door leading to the bedroom. Mr. Carlton's things were already waiting for him. Tobin walked in and opened the door to the closet and the bathroom. The room was spotless. The closet had more than enough space for his things. The bathroom had a big shower and bathtub. "The family would like you to make this space yours for the remainder of your stay. If you need anything there is a button here." Tobin walked to an intercom by the door, "Just push the button and a maid will come to assist you."

Tobin bowed out of respect and then walked out of the room leaving Mr. Carlton on his own.

Scott had never been in such a lush room in his entire twenty-four years. He looked around, wondering how he was ever going to keep the white carpets white, and nodded to the butler. Once Tobin left, the photographer walked around the room and... ogled. The place was bigger than twice the size of his apartment in New York! He stood in front of the full-sized mirror and practiced bowing until he had to laugh at how stupid he looked.

"Damn... this is going to be one for the books." He unpacked his gear into the room; his home for the next forty-three days, and then decided that a shower and change of clothing was in order before going out to look around the town and the small island country. Scott had forgotten the butler's warning to lock his door if he wanted privacy, so he simply got his clothes together and went to explore the huge bath room.

It should have been called a bath house. The tub could have easily fit six people in it. Scott opted for the shower and was pleased at how quickly the hot water spouted out of the jets in the ceiling and the wall. This was certainly a place where the 'royal treatment' was par for course. He soaped up and then rinsed off, used to taking short showers from sharing a very shitty water tank with about ten other apartments in his low-rent abode back home, and then dressed in blue jeans and a grey t-shirt. That was his normal uniform when he worked; casual and comfortable. He pulled on a light olive drab jacket and put a fresh battery in his camera before sliding the SIM card in and leaving his room to explore the castle grounds.

The palace was what one would expect from a palace. There was the main building which held the grand ballroom, grand dining room, a library, multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, a throne room, a small museum of artwork and family jewels. A recent addition to the palace was the game room, the King and Queen had four children and they needed to be entertained while they were growing up. There was also a spa and an indoor garden. Outside there were many gardens, a path into the forest that surrounded the left half of the house. The right half had a view of the island and the ocean surrounding it. The path in the forest lead to a small private beach that was once frequented by the royal family every Sunday.

It was the life any person would want but life isn't always greener on the other side. As the maids knew things weren't always happy in pleasantville. The twins despised their brides only getting married because they were forced too. The youngest son Michael was on his way to getting the same treatment but he was able to fend off such trivial manners by joining the military and rising in the ranks there. The youngest daughter, on the other hand, was a bit of a wild card. She was the soft spot of her father and was able to do pretty much anything she wanted, all she had to do was bat her eyelashes.

Walking around the palace one would see artwork from different ages. It ranged from abstract to painted fruit to still life. There was a type of story that flowed through each of the hallways and the pictures helped tell that story. It was very quiet other than the occasional footsteps of a maid, but even those seemed to be quiet than most.

From the stairs that lead to the third floor came a woman and her husband. He wouldn't know it yet but it was Andrew and Abetha. Abetha seemed to be a bit peeved about something but when she saw a man with a camera she was nothing but smiles. She took Andrew's hand and walked him down the stairs and to the front door, "Come darling we mustn't be late." She faking a happy tone.

A head popped out of one of the bedrooms and looked down the hall. She watched the two go down the stairs and then she came out of the bedroom. She smiled at the stranger and looked over the banister, "She's a devil. Beware of her." She warned and held out her hand, "Are you here for the portraits?" She asked curiously and looked down a t his camera. "Lest year the King hired a veteran photographer and he sold pictures to the press. Let's just say that photographer never worked again. Now the Queen hires the photographers. She spent months looking for the right guy. You're a lucky fellow. Now I would love to stay and chat but I really have to go before I'm caught. So enjoy your stay. I might just see you later." She winked at him and she quickly walked down the hall to a service elevator and took it downstairs. "If you want my advice the outdoor garden looks beautiful when it's raining. The Queen takes great pride in her roses."

He didn't bother with pictures of the house; any royal family worth their salt had plenty of that, and empty homes without people in them didn't interest him as a photographer. He smiled at a few of the maids and tried to keep track of what floor he was on, wandering the castle was akin to wandering a very wealthy and slightly saner version of the Winchester House. But just slightly. He had paused near the third floor to double check where his camera was sending the pictures to make sure that it was to the SIM card that the butler had given him, when a young couple came down the stairs to the forbidden zone.

Scott was abruptly aware of how informally he was dressed, compared to the royal family, and he stepped back several steps to allow them to pass by. He had forgotten to shave during his shower and sported a short scruff of beard on his otherwise clean-shaven face, and his camera hung at his side like some kind of rifle.

Should he bow? Should he say hello? Their appearance was so quick that he was practically spell-bound and forgot to do either, but to watch the woman's expression change from somber to jovial in the blink of an eye. He drew in a breath and watched them pass, feeling like he was watching some kind of death march. Once the royal couple had passed by, Scott was surprised by a voice practically behind him now.

He jumped slightly and turned to look at the woman. She must have been a maid or something, because her demeanor was much unlike the couple who just passed. But then again, everyone who worked at the castle had some kind of uniform they wore. Even Mr. Clair wore a suit that looked more like a uniform than a wardrobe.

He shook the girl's hand and nodded. "Yeah, I heard about that." He glanced at the spot where he had last seen the couple and then back at the girl. "I forgot to bow. Do you think Mr. Clair's going to hear about that?" Out came his crooked smile again as he tried to figure out where she fit into the whole picture. Was she someone's friend? Lover? Maybe related to one of the servants? It was difficult to place her in the newness of everything.

"Thanks for the advice," Scott answered when she said that the gardens were lovely during the rain. He was still more interested in people, though, and so he decided to go down to where the servants were and take some pictures of them in their environment before heading out to the grounds of the castle.

"Don't worry about it. Just don't forget when they are introduced to you. That's when things go bad. They pretty much ignored you right there and Prince Andrew probably welcomed the silent scolding." She said quickly before she disappeared.

The maids were amused by the fact that the photographer was taking pictures of them. One would think it happened often but photographers never really paid attention to the help. They were more involved with taking pictures of the scenery prettying lost somewhere and hoping that magic moment came upon them and they got the perfect picture.

Tibon came downstairs to collect the team platter and take them up to the Queen. He was also surprised to see Mr. Carlton standing there taking pictures of the help. He, however, was not as amused as the maids. The maids, upon seeing Tibon, quickly wiped the smiles off their faces and went back to work. "You are here to photograph the family, not the help Mr. Carleton. I have spoken with the Queen and she will have tea with you, if you would like to get to know her for your pictures."

He grabbed the silver platter with the tea and sugar on it and walked out of the kitchen area. "I warn you now, personal questions will not be tolerated unless she gives you permission to ask." He told Mr. Carlton with out looking back. He figured he would come but if he didn't then it was his loss. "She is reading the morning paper and all be for the next hour. You have that long to get to know her." Tibon walked to a private study that was still open and spacious. He walked in first and set the tea tray down.

Queen Amelia looked up when Tibon walked into the room, "Adela called this morning. Apparently she is doing a road trip across the United States. Why my husband let her go I will never know. The last thing she needs is to be caught up with some American boy." She sighed and gratefully took the small cup of tea from Tibon, "She sends her love though." She added and smiled at Tibon

So that was Prince Andrew, which made the woman his wife, Abetha. Scott would have to remember that, even though, as he so wryly reminded himself, he wasn't allowed to address them by their first names so it was a lark anyway.

He had enjoyed the pictures of the servants hard at work. Before they had known he was there was when he got the best pictures, ones that showed the concern in their eyes and the hint of anxiety as they went about their business. He loved the way the light played across the veins in their hands or the wrinkles of their faces, road maps to lives well-lived. Once they discovered his attention on them, their smiles brightened and they would glance his way to see if he was scoping them. It was kind of cute, really; like photographing a school yard full of busy children.

The butler's admonishment washed right over Scott like water off a duck's back. He was there to photograph the family and the world they lived in, which had more to do with their servants than they might have realized. He didn't argue with the man, though, but simply smiled and nodded. He only had to be here for forty-three days, and he would earn over two thousand dollars a day for his work. It as a sweet deal, no matter who he had to put up with.

"Wait... the queen is ready to see me now?" Scott hurried after Mr. Clair. "An hour while she reads the paper to get to know her?" Well, it was more than most of the world had, he supposed. He walked into the private study behind the dour-faced butler and listened as the queen spoke briefly and privately about her family's business. It was odd that the queen would mention to the butler that her youngest daughter (at least, Scott assumed that Adela was the youngest) had sent her love. Tibon was the butler, right? Why would the queen relay such a personal bit of information to a servant?

He waited until he was introduced to the queen, and then he bowed. One thing that he had neglected to ask was whether to wait to be acknowledged or not before standing, so he simply bowed and stood, looking for all the world like one of those water drinking birds that bobbed up and down repeatedly. Except he only did it once. And he wasn't a bird.

Scott smiled at the queen. "Thank you for seeing me, your highne-- uh, Madam." He wasn't sure if he should stand or sit, so he stood unless she invited him to join her. The queen had one of those regal faces that would never leave his mind. She would have made a great nun at an orphanage if fate hadn't destined her for royalty... or perhaps a dominatrix if life had spun another direction for her. In truth, he didn't know very much about this land or its people. They were very private, almost to the point that he wondered if they really existed.

Queen Amelia looked toward her guest with a soft smile. She already knew who he was, she did choose him after all. "Come in." She welcomed him and pointed to the chair across from her she put her paper down and sat it on the small end table next to the chair where she was sitting. "I hope everything is to your liking." She picked up a small scoop of sugar and let it dissolve in her tea. She offered a cup to Scott and sat back in her chair.

"So I hear you would like to get to know my family." Her ankle's crossed and she dismissed Tibon who was watching them ever so carefully from the corner of the room. "I'm sure Tibon already told you that might be easy said than done. My eldest children, I will admit, are a bit snobbish. So is my husband. They were both raised to be king so they weren't afforded the same luxury as my youngest children. I will speak to them but don't expect an hour's time. I think with my husband you will have better luck watching him while he works. Or waiting for Adela to come home. Catch him in a good mood and he will do what he can for you." She stated honestly.

"I loved your work for Time-Life. I even noticed you had a small sampling in National Geographic. They were all beautiful. They way you were able to catch the life and beauty of the landscapes and people. That is what I wanted when I was looking for some one to the portrait. Our family is growing quickly and I need some one who is able to capture the essence of here and now. So when I look back at the pictures I will be able to feel what I felt the day that picture was taken." Her eyes wrinkled as she smiled. "And do not let Abetha or Stephanie rule the shot. They will try and they will push. If they do, you tell me and I will set them straight." She rolled her eyes a little and sipped on her tea again.

"Now what would you like to know?" She asked Scott.

He sat down and accepted the tea with a quiet 'thank you', grateful that this time he wasn't wet from the rain. The queen seemed to be quite personable, despite her status and he stern look of her face. She seemed to soften her eyes as she spoke as well, especially when she spoke about her children. That was something that he noticed about her; she loved her family.

"Thank you," he said, turning the cup slowly in his hands, "for this opportunity. It's really the chance of a lifetime to be here." He smiled, thinking of what he wanted to ask her. "I suppose the most important thing I could know before photographing your family is - what defines each person? You mentioned that your daughters-in-law would tend to dominate the shots. Is that something about them that defines who they are? I mean... are they concerned about their appearance, or their reputations?"

He thought about that little scene he had just witnessed in the hallway. The woman had gone from her true emotion to a fake on in a moment's time. Her husband seemed to expect that; he didn't seem to care.

"Do they have certain past-times that you identify with them? For instance, your husband is very busy, obviously... but does he have, say, a favorite hunting dog that he spends time with, or is he someone who star-gazes? I'd like to find ways to contrast everyone's personality in the photos. Private moments versus public ones, for instance. I'd also like to catch family members in their favorite places."

He looked at the queen and thought about what that girl had said. "For instance... the rose garden. It's beautiful in the rain, but I've heard that it's your garden. Pictures of you doing whatever it is that you enjoy doing there would be interesting, I think, and the more I can catch candid photos of your family the more precious I believe you'll find the photographs are to you."

That thought brought another to mind and he frowned slightly as he considered it. "I suppose that it would be very helpful if I could also get the family's schedule so that I know when and where I can find them. If your sons are planning a fox hunt or some such thing then I'd like to be prepared to follow along and photograph them... that kind of thing."

Queen Amelia smiled at Scott and appreciated his strong work ethic. He knew she chose the right man because no other photographer would dare ask about family matters. They would just take the pictures and move on. "What defines each person?" She asked herself. It was an interesting question. One that was almost hard to answer. "My daughters-in-law have to worry about their reputation and their appearance. Either one of them could become future Queen. They will want to direct the photo shoot and see the pictures as you take them. They will want to make sure that they are looking their best at all times and if they feel they aren't looking their best they will stop everything and go to fix the situation. I don't want that. I don't want to see the persona they constantly portray. I want you to catch their true essence. Abetha can often be caught in the library with a good book. Stephanie in the music room with the piano. They will not let you photograph them when they are prepare so just be careful and do what you must to get the picture. They are charming girls, I just think stress of ruling a country has made them a little crazy as of late."

She thought about her husband, "My husband loves to bird watch. There are so many birds of the island and he has his own little bird house in the backyard." She pointed out to a house, that was not very little, it looked like an over grown birdhouse. "If he had time that is where he will be. Some times he nurses them back to health some times he just sits there and watches them. The birds have gotten so used to him being around that they see him as one if their own." She laughed and shook her head.

"The twins stick together. There is rarely a time when they are separate. They like to spend their time in the garage. They import old cars from all over the world and they like to tinker with them. They have ruined their hands but it has kept them out of trouble. If they aren't in the garage then they are playing soccer or American football. Anything physical that allows then to get dirty they like. My youngest son is into guns and when he comes home he will most likely be in his safe room. You will not be able to enter because he has it protected with a key code but I am sure he will let you enter. He will talk about guns to any one who will listen."

"Adela, well she...she likes to travel. She just graduated college and now she is touring the United Sates. The boys were always fiercely protective of her which is most likely why she hasn't been home since she graduated. She promised to keep in touch and come home for the portrait but I can't tell you about her. I had a better connection with my sons. She is her father's daughter through and through." She sighed and mentally checked off every one in her family.

"That should be everyone. As for me and my garden, you are welcome to it anytime. I have something to do today but I like to visit my garden before dinner at seven. That's when the palace is it's craziest." She laughed a little, "The twins like to get dirty but I have never know them to hunt. Michael will take you out though. He is not allowed to hunt in this forest it's protected, he goes to a different island in the chain so you will have to inform him if you want to go with him."

Scott nodded, taking in her descriptions but more importantly, the way the emotions flickered over her face as she spoke. He looked down at his camera and then adjusted a few dials as she spoke before taking a few pictures of her during the moments when she was quiet and her eyes drifted to a spot in the air as she thought about her children. At one time she partially folded the newspaper and held it against her chest, and he took a couple of shots of her with her eyes downcast, the headline on the paper reading "...a New Era..." It wasn't obvious from the shot that the headline was actually a part of an article about a new car design. It looked like it could have been the title of the photo, and with the early afternoon light streaming in sideways through the window it looked really introspective.

"Thank you, Madam. I really hope that I never give you any reason to regret hiring me. I appreciate this more than you know." He had forgotten the tea, already lost in the complexity of emotions and life experience he saw in the queen. "Thank you for your time."

He cleared his throat lightly and then slipped the lens cap back on his camera. "Would Mr. Clair be able to give me a basic household schedule? For instance, you mentioned that at seven during dinner the palace is at it's craziest. Do you have regular times when guests arrive or when, say, the princesses have their hairdressers come by... or... " He shrugged. "I don't really know what kinds of things happen in a castle. I guess I want to know what kinds of images you think are important to immortalize for your family."

Queen Amelia nodded, "Tibon will see to your needs." She laughed a little about his little knowledge of the working of the palace. It was a laugh but it wasn't a condescending laugh. "I was in your shoes once. When I met the king. It's just like any other household just bigger. We are people too, you know." She smiled at him.

"I want to see what we are like from an outsiders point of view. Document everything, even the little things. When the twins are fighting with their wives, take a picture of it. When my husband finds a baby bird, take a picture of it. What err you think is important, take a picture of it. That's all I ask." She smiled at the you man and picked up her paper sensing he was ready to leave.

"Who do you think you want to go to first? My husband is in his office, down the hall and to the left. I believe Andrew and Abetha had a brunch to go to. I will be here for the next hours or so and Oliver and Stephanie will probably be occupied."

"I'm not sure where I'll go next," Scott admitted. "I think that I'll let my feet direct me." He smiled at the queen and then on impulse he took her hand and laid his other hand across it. "Thank you."

He excused himself from the room and began to wander the castle again, waiting for inspiration to strike. He walked by the king's office and then decided to go out to the gardens. Maybe... maybe it would be a good idea to go into the town or to fly over the island and get a feel for the layout of the place. He kept his eyes out for the butler as well, wanting to ask him about the household schedule.

He caught a glimpse of something out in the garden and decided to sneak out there and see what was going on. The worst thing that would happen might be to get a little wet, and that was nothing that his camera couldn't handle.

"Well have fun letting your feet guide somewhere." She smiled at him and was surprised when he touched her but she didn't say anything. She figured it was just some American custom. She watched him leave and then she picked up her phone and called Tibon. "He needs a map of the island and he needs a schedule of where the family will be. Make sure their assistants get him what he needs." She told Tibon and hung up the phone. She went back to reading her morning paper hoping he found something that truly inspired him.

The garden was a wondrous place. It was also hell for someone with allergies. There were all sorts of flowers, not only from Sevonia but from all over the world. On the back wall were the most prized possessions of the queen. The roses. White, red, pink, even the very expensive and hard to find black roses. Any one could tell that so done took great care of these roses. The queen wouldn't let anyone but herself touch them. The gardeners watered the other flowers and cared for them but the roses were hers and hers alone.

At that moment the only person in the garden was a gardener. Her was watering the Sevonia's, a flower indigenous to the country. It looked like a daisy but it was bigger and came in a variety of colors. Folklore said it glowed at night showing any one who was lost their way home. The gardener looked up only to see who was enters the garden and then he was back to work watering the flowers.

As Scott walked through the garden he took pictures of the rain on the petals and several of the castle behind the roses. He could tell that a lot of effort and money had been spent on the flowers. Varieties he had never seen before filled every crevice of the gardens, intricate paths led through flowered arches and by ornate benches. It was like a fairy land. He almost expected to see the butterflies turn into little pixies.

As he rounded the corner he saw a gardener watering large daisy-like flowers. They reminded him of gerber daisies, but the petals were much more delicate. Scott frowned slightly. Why was the gardener watering the flowers right after a summer thunderstorm? He took a few pictures of the gardener before approaching him and asking him about some of the flowers he had seen and the history of the garden. Sometimes the history defined the people who lived in such a majestic place, but it wouldn't hurt to get to know the one person who probably knew best what the queen loved in her favorite place.

Once he was done talking to the man, Scott would thank him and then walk down the hill to the town. He could use a good walk, he figured, and he didn't want to meet people with a limo at his back.

"Hello photographer." Came a slightly familiar voice. She came from a different, more hidden path that connected to the main path near the town. She had a basket in her hand like she was going to get food. "Find anything good yet?" She asked curiously and looked back to see if he was being followed. "I'm guessing you went to the garden. Beautiful right?" She smiled at him and walked with him down into the town.

The town down the hill was large and bustling. Nothing like New York since there wasn't a car in sight. Most people road their bikes around. They had cars but they only used them to go long distances. Most fruits and vegetables grew perfectly with Sevonia's weather. Hey didn't really have a fall or summer. The weather was always a perfect degree. It was always spring time unless it was winter than the mountains, including the palace and the little town, got snow. With it being early spring the snow was gone and the island was lush with life.

"I'm Rose. I didn't tell you before. I was in a rush. I'm sorry about that it was rude. What's your name?" They walked past a fruit vendor and she stopped and picked some apples, pears and oranges. She paid the man who bowed slightly when take it but it could have been a humble thank you for choosing my fruit bow or a polite custom like the Japanese do.

"There is a remote place on the top of the highest mountain called Widow's Peak. You can see the entire island from up there. She turned around and pointed to the mountain she was talking about. It was so tall that the clouds were covering the top. "It's dangerous to go right now since it just rained and you have to kayak and hike to get up there but if you want a picture of the island there is no better place."

"Well, hello mystery lady," Scott answered, smiling when he saw the same pretty girl who had spoken to him earlier. "I did go to the garden and it was lovely... yes. The gardener was interesting too. He was watering the flowers, even though it had just rained." He walked with her towards the town. "He had interesting hands. Strong and gnarled, but when he looked at the flowers and gently moved one to the side you could tell how much he loved what he was doing."

He realized that he was beginning to wax philosophical and he cleared his throat in embarrassment. He reached out to shake her hand. "Hi, Rose. I'm Scott. Carlton. Scott Carlton." He grinned sheepishly and watched her interact with the fruit vendor, taking pictures as they exchanged food for money, and catching the late afternoon light and the way the streets glistened. Then he nodded to the vendor when they left, taking the nod-bow as some kind of customary greeting among the locals.

"Widow's Peak?" He gazed towards the direction where she pointed. "It sounds interesting... Maybe worth a day's travel." He turned to look at her. "Do any people live up there? Or on the way? I'm most interested in the people of the country... their interaction with the lands and each other. I'd love to go though," his eyes drifted back to the mountain. "Do you know a guide who might take me?"

He took a few pictures of the township as they continued to walk the streets. "Have you lived here all your life, Rose? What's it like to be a kid here?"

"He's done the same job for the past twenty-five years. I'm sure he had a good reason to water those plants." She smiled at him and listened to the way he described the gardener's hands. "Scott Carlton, two first names. I think I can remember that." She bought her fruit and they continued to walk.

"It's where the women would go to wait for the husbands return. On a clear day you can almost see the other islands. They would wait for days on end praying to the gods that the ships didn't return with black sails. Black sails meant the king had died while fighting. Red sails meant victory and yellow sails were neutral. The sails had to have color or the women would be able to see them against the sky and ocean. There's your history lesson for the day." She joked and bought a loaf of fresh bread.

"People live in the way to the mountain but the terrain is too steep to live on the mountain. There's nothing but a narrow path leading up. There are other towns though. A couple that shun technology even. A village of wise elders too. Not necessarily on the way to the mountain but they are out there." She looked at him as he looked at the mountain. She looked at it, "Yeah I know someone who can take you. It's not an easy journey though." She warned him. "Are we kayaking to the base or do you want to take a car to the base of the mountain and then hike it? I'm fine with either one. I'll even bring the food and water." She smiled brightly. She hadn't been up there in months. She was ready to go again.

She nodded her head, "Born and raised in beautiful Sevonia, Royal Island." She thought of what it was like to grow up here. "Sheltered. On TV you see all of these other countries hundreds of times bigger than our country and you can see the noticeable differences. Here, the king does everything in his power to make sure the people are heard and getting what they need and want. Out there it seems like everyone is fighting to be heard and no one is listening to the people that are screaming the loudest. It was easy growing up here. I couldn't imagine growing up any where else." She laughed thinking of her best memory with her father. "My father took me to the forest before dinner one night and when we came back home we were a mess and dinner was supposed to start in a few minutes. Mother was so angry but my father didn't care. Head of the...head of the household and he's supposed to be the strict and mean one but he couldn't wipe the smile off of his face that night."

"You'd take me?" Scott adjusted his lens as he watched her planning their trip. "Well... that would be nice, actually. Let me know when you want to go and I'll make sure to have the day open." He walked with her though the quaint, picturesque streets of Sevonia as she told him about the country. When she shared her story about the forest and her father's two sides he laughed. "Well... they say that Daddy's little girl can usually wrap him around her pinky, and it sounds like you were definitely his little girl."

His eyes sparkled as he looked at her. She seemed to light up with joy when she talked about her father. "It sounds like you have a good relationship with your parents, Rose. Are they still alive?" He paused as they crossed paths with a handful of young boys playing a form of soccer in the streets. Scott took a few pictures of them, then caught the sight of an older woman with wrinkled, darkly tanned skin gazing off into the distance. Behind her the ocean was visible and he could see the sails of ships as they came into dock. Scott set his aperture to blur the woman's face but still give an impression of who she was but to catch the ships crisply in the background. It fit with Rose's story about the women on the mountaintop waiting for their men to come home.

"Have you ever left the island, then? I mean... you must have been to some of the other islands here, but have you ever wanted to see the rest of the world, or was what you saw on TV enough to keep you home?"

"Of course I'd take you. Who else would go all the way to the top of that mountain with you?" She asked playfully. "I'm free anytime so just let me know. I'm guessing you're going to have to take pictures of the family sooner or later so you're the one with the crazy schedule. Do you have a phone? I can put my number in it. So you can call me." She laughed a little, "He is definitely wrapped around my little finger." She said with a big smile. "They are both alive and well. My father is a workaholic. My mother is still as picky as ever. I didn't understand her need for me to be perfect growing up. She would tell me I would understand when I start having kids. I still don't have kids so I guess I still don't really understand." She shrugged her shoulder and stopped Scott from walking when a group of boys run right past them just a foot away.

She watched him take the picture of the woman and a smile came across her face. He was so focused on the woman and capturing the picture. He was very handsome with the slight frown of concentration on his brow. His jaw would go tight right before he took the picture and it would release as he released his finger. She looked away when he stood up to review his photos. It wasn't polite to stare, her mother's voice rang through her head. She casually looked his way again and her eyes met with the woman's who bowed slightly. Rose bowed back to her and looked at Scott as he spoke.

"Of course I have. I've been to America, Australia, Great Britain, and Canada. Beautiful countries, all of them. I've always wanted to travel. Most of the time I travelled with my school though. Foreign exchange programs starting from eighth year to my twelfth year. My parents weren't fond of it I convinced my dad to let me go and he let me. It was always the highlight of my school year." She smiled at him. "I'd love to see the rest of the world. Or at least visit every continent. It's on my bucket list."

"What about you? Have you ever been outside of the USA? Besides coming here of course. And if you could go anywhere where would you go?"

He started to give her the castle-issued phone and then he hesitated, pulling out his personal phone instead. The butler had suggested that the only two numbers he'd need were the two he gave them, but for some reason Scott wanted to hold onto her numbers in his private phone. He wanted to keep his 'work' separate from any friends he made on the job.

His eyes widened slightly when she told him of all the places she had been. That was a lot of traveling! Especially for someone from such a quaint little place. When she mentioned bucket list he laughed. "It's just... it's odd hearing such an American term as 'bucket list' coming from your lips. I guess I expected some kind of exotic equivalent, you know? Like... 'Life Ambitions', or... I don't know. Something ethereal."

Scott continued to walk with her and look at the town as they talked. "I spent most of my life in Oklahoma - born and raised, but I took few trips to Asia and the Middle East..." He smiled. "Nothing really tourist-y. I'd love to go see Ireland, though. Part of my family immigrated from there a long time ago, and I've always wanted to see where they came from. I'd also love to go see Chile. My grandmother is from there, but she's of German descent so she had the green eyes..." his voice faded and he smiled embarrassed. "Sorry. That's probably more than you wanted to know, huh?"

"So... what do you do when you're not giving photography tours and buying fruit? Do you work at the castle?"

She took his phone and out her number in before handing it back, "I don't want to run up your phone bull with long distance calls. But there you go." She frowned when he laughed at her but soon understood why he was. "Ah okay how about this," she paused and thought, "What is the point of living life with out the aspiration to do something. My life goal is to visit every continent and see the world from another's point of view." She had to pat her own back for that one. She smiled at Scott, "Was that better?" She asked with a big smile.

She walked with him, leading hi where she wanted to go with out pushing him around. "Don't be embarrassed when you talk about your family. Where you have been and where you are going are the two most important things you have. In fact, I would love to hear more about your family. German decent you say, I have never been but I do want to visit. Try the sausage and beer."

She stopped walking to buy more fruit and meat. She smiled at his question, "In a way I work at the palace. I, and a few others, help to maintain the history and lineage of the royal family and the royal palace. I am supposed to be off but it's hard not to work when you live in the cabin right next to the palace." She shrugged her shoulder, "I like working there. Most of the time. The king and queen are very gracious in letting me use the cottage. You are welcome to visit. The dining table and chairs are the only thing that are original in the home. The rest have been put in a humidity chamber to preserve it but it's absolutely beautiful. Don't come out when it rains though. The terrain is awful and the last thing you need is to break your foot."

"Well, it's probably forward of me, but this other phone is property of my employers. I don't want to lose your number if I get fired." He had smiled at her better explanation of 'bucket list' and agreed with her that it was much, much better.

"Sausage and beer is usually what people think of. And knickers. But all I can think of is gulash," he said, chuckling. "And I suppose mulled wine. Mulled wine is good." He walked with her some more, enjoying simply being with her. She was easy to talk to, easy to spend time with, and certainly easy on the eyes. "A cottage? I didn't see it, but I'd love to visit." He blushed briefly. "For, ah... lunch or something. When you have time."

He quickly tried to change the subject. "So you're a historian of sorts? That's perfect! I mean... I'm taking pictures but I like to get to the meaning of them. If I understood what really mattered to the people here in this kingdom, then I could reflect it through my photos. Do you think that we could get together again soon?" His watch had beeped, telling him that dinner was only an hour away. "Oh... I have to get back to work. Tomorrow maybe?" he didn't want to leave her, but duty called. He wanted to get an overview of the family at dinner, and this was his first chance to see them interacting.

"Your employers are my employers." She reminded him softly. "But I understand. At least let me put my number in that phone so you don't run up your bill. I'd feel much better and they probably wouldn't think twice about it. And if they do then blame me for everything." She held out her hand for his work phone. "A historian is helping you work. It's not a lie since I will help you out." She said with a convincing tone.

"The cottage is in the thick of the woods. It was used back in the sixteenth century. Invaders came from the opposite side of the palace. The king would send his family to the cottage to hide. In the cottage would be beggar clothes and some money so the family would be able to run away and survive if he didn't. It was also a birthing home for many years but that's a different story." She nodded her head to lunch, "Tell me when and I will make you my favorite Sevonian meal." She noticed his blush, "You're really cute when you blush." She told him and poked his cheek. "It's really cute." She laughed a little and looked away.

"Like I said before I have taken time off. So I will be free whenever you need me. Just tell me when. Tomorrow sounds great though. Give me some time to clean up so maybe tomorrow around eleven. Maybe we can go up to widows peak or I can take you to the Elder's town. Good luck with the family. Wear something nice to dinner. Never wear jeans to a family dinner. A nice button up shirt you don't have to wear a suit. You might look underdressed but trust me the princes would wear jersey shorts and muddy shoes if they could."

Back
Top Bottom