Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A chance encounter. {babyletsplay & Traveler}

Dimples

Star
The wipers for windshield on her car moved back and forth on full blast and Starr Rosett still couldn’t see the road. she was on her way home from work, a small little dance studio she opened about three years ago. It was nothing too impressive to the eye however, it was her little paradise and something to call her own. Starr was born and raised here in the small town of Goldsboro, North Carolina. There were two kinds of people who lived here. The ones who would never leave and the one who couldn’t leave soon enough, could you guess which one she was? The town of Goldsboro was a small town in the country miles from the city with plenty of dirt roads and ‘short cuts’ that only took and hour longer than the original way. Goldsboro was a place she could call home.

“Damnit…” Starr cursed under her breath when the rain only seemed to pour down harder. she still had another twenty minutes to drive. There was no way she would drive that in such weather. She was only going 20mph already and still couldn’t see anything, it was time to pull over and wait this out…

Only because Starr knew the roads so well she knew there was a hole in the ground diner just around the trees. Once she arrived there she pulled her 1992 mercury grand marquis over that creaked so loud the whole diner knew she was on her way a mile away. the windows still had to be manually rolled up and down, the only thing you had was a crappy radio and a tape player, and the best of all was the two big purple dice that hung from her mirror. Big burtha, her old faithful. It was the first car she has ever had and she would drive it until it can’t drive anymore.

Even though Starr had dashed as quick as she could to the door after she got out of her car it was like a ten gallon bucket of water was poured over her. Her now loose and flowy light blue dress clung to her body allowing her curves to be exposed, her now wet hair fell over her big green eyes.

Starr sat at a booth, “Coffee, black please. Thank you.” She told the waiter.

it didn’t take long before he came back with the bitter coffee. After just a few sips of it the rain slowly begain to disapate. Starr could almost beat her head against the table. Right. Of course it would stop as soon as I pull over, get drenched and get comfortable. she thoguht to herself. Starr placed money for her bill plus alittle more for a tip with coffee in hand as she headed for the door. Starr turned her head to look over at the table, just to make sure she hadn’t forgot anything. Just in that moment her body clashed into something causing her coffee pour over herself. It honestly didn’t burn too much to be honest.

Starr to see what she bumped into, just hoping it wasent a wall, that would be embarrassing. Although it wouldn’t be the first time… However this wasent the case it was a man. her cheeks flushed slightly, maybe the wall would be less embarrassing. “Oh my! I’’m sorry! I should really pay attention to where I’m going, I’m really sorry sir. “

Andrew Reed drove through the sheets of water, his eyes scanning for the little diner where the call had come in. The rain sloughed off the windshield until the moment when he pulled into the parking lot. That had been his luck lately... arriving too late to be on time, and still fully expected to deal with the mess of it all. He rested his hands on the steering wheel and surveyed the lot; about six cars were huddled in the lot and only one of them looked like it was about to take a dive, and old Mercury Grand Marquis that looked like it was about to fall to pieces.

He walked into the diner, the water dripping into his eyes, and promptly bumped into a woman. His wet body left a messy print on her shirt, plastering the material against her body in a squishy smashing sound.

She raised her green eyes to stammer “Oh my! I'm sorry! I should really pay attention to where I’m going, I’m really sorry sir."

Drew stepped back and quickly snatched a few napkins off a nearby table and began to dab at her shirt. "No ma'am, my fault. I'm actually here to pick you up. Someone up. Pick up a car." He realized that he was beginning to manhandle her, uh, 'girls' in his attempt to wipe the water off her chest. "Did someone call a tow truck?" He raised his voice and looked up at the other customers in the diner.

An older man raised his hand and called "Over here!"

The tow truck driver cleared his throat and nodded at Starr. "Excuse me. And sorry about that water."

The man polietly grabed some napkins and began to try to dry off her shirt, a failed attempt. in result, he only seemed to be feeling her up. However Starr only laughed it off once he returned to his reason for coming here. As she walked past him she noticed a small card on the ground. Starr picked it up to see it was a buisness card for a towing company. Must belong to the guy she just bumped into. Starr figured she would mostlikely need it in the near future so she decided to pocket it and head on her way.

Once in the rusty old car she turned it on and drove off.

Not even a mile down the road big burtha began to smoke. “Damnit” She under her breath once again… She pulled over on the side of the road and turned off the car…

Starr sighed then pulled out that buisness card and dialed the number on it.

“Hello, Is this Andrew Reed? Yes, I’m sorry. I picked up your card. I’m the woman who bumped into you in the diner a few moments ago. My car… Yeah… I think it finally gave out on me, is there any way you can help me?” She asked

Drew had dropped off the man's truck and then drove him home to his little house. He had the weekend shift, which he really didn't mind. Bob, the owner of A-1 Towing & Auto, had the right to schedule his people as he saw fit, and Drew had only been working there for four months. He didn't have jack shit when it came to seniority. So he was on call often for the towing portion of the business as well as working four days a week on the garage floor to make ends meet, but it was honest work and he appreciated having something that he could count on.

Too often he would wake up in the middle of the night and stare at the ceiling. He would not remember at first where he was, but then the sounds of the frogs would remind him that he was somewhere moist, and the sound of traffic in the street below his tiny apartment would remind him that he was somewhere free, and the nightmares that woke him would slowly fade away. He still suffered from flashbacks and minor panic attacks, but they were rare. Hopefully one day he'd go through the day and not think once about war or death, or the family that he almost had but lost because he came back too late.

The phone buzzed on the seat next to him and he tapped his bluetooth. "Hello, A-1 Towing," he answered, then waited while the lady on the other end of the line told him what had happened. He couldn't help the blush of embarrassment that momentarily threatened to reach his cheeks as he remembered the way he had manhandled her in the diner, or the casual way she had laughed it off. She had class, despite the pile of metal she was driving.

"Sure Ma'am... I'll be right there." He took her location and turned the truck around, pointedly ignoring the way the headlights in the pre-dusk darkness reminded him of the Armored Personnel Carrier that he had been in when his unit was attacked and he was captured.

It wasn't long before he spotted her boat on wheels and turned on his flashing light. A moment later he had lined up the tow truck and was walking towards the lady who he had bumped into, their combined headlights illuminating the area as the sun was beginning to set beyond the forested hills. There was paperwork to fill out but she could do that in the truck; right now it was dangerous to be out in the streets like that in case someone came by. "Where would you like me to take your car?" he asked. "And if you're local I can give you a ride home if you need one."

Starr hasent been sitting there for more than twenty-five minutes and three cars have already pulled over to make sure she was okay then left after they knew she was taken care of. Then two head lights pulled up behind her. After making the road was safe she got out of her car only to see it was one of her close friends Lacy.

Lacy exited her car and walked over to her. “Are you okay??” she sounded rather urgent about this question.
Starr seemed confussed. “Are YOU okay? We both knew my car was going to break down soon. I don’t see the surprise here. I am fine.” Starr chuckled “Lace, what’s your case this time?”
“This is no time to joke around Starr!” she snapped back quick. “Its Alex. He was released early… Today.” Lacy stared Starr down with a concerned expression.

Starr was caught off guard and couldn’t manage to speak or play it off cool like she always did. the thoughts of her troubled past because of that dreadful man returned. she felt like a helpless little girl once more. Something she vowed would never happen again! The sound of a car pulling up occupied both Starr’s and Lacy’s attention.

“Who is that?” Lacy asked curious
“Tow truck, I told you my car broke down!” Starr glared over at her. “Were you not listening to me?”
“Oh! Yes, Right! Okay! Do your thing!” she walked over to her car then turned to Starr with a serious look, “Be careful Starr and take care.”
“Thank you.” Starr replied and with that Lacy drove off.

Starr felt a deep pit in the bottom of her stomach. Alex was her ex fiance. He was the perfect man. When they say that someone is ‘too perfect’ there has to be somthing wrong, it’s probably true… he turned out to be a psyco! Starr only hoped inprisonment changed his ways and that she wasent his first target of revenge. after all she is the reason he is there.

the man’s voice caught her by surprise, even made her jump slightly. “Oh! Um yes the car!” she looked over at it with a sat expression. She really did love this car however she knew that it wasent worth the money to fix. “will you just tow it to my place? I will take care of it from there on.” she told him with a angelic smile “Thank you very much! I’m sorry for bothering you, I know you just finished a job.”

"You are my job," Drew replied with a crooked smile. He looked over her car and shook his head. "Alright... if you want it towed to your place I can do that, but unless your boyfriend's a great mechanic you'll probably wind up taking it to Bob eventually." He glanced over his shoulder at the woman. "Unless you're the mechanic, if so then I apologize. I've known a few decent female wrench monkeys in my time."

He began to hook up her old boat to the truck while trying in vain to ignore the way she looked in her body-fitting clothing. She looked like one of those yoga types who never ate meat; completely lean and with the body of a ballerina, but more 'worldly'. Maybe it was his eight years locked away from the real world, or the last year which fell to shit, but the prettier a girl was, the less he trusted her. Pretty girls were more likely to break your heart without a second glance, and this woman was... well, she was gorgeous, even with her hair still plastered by rain and her cheeks pink from breathlessness. To top it off she seemed nice. That was a deadly combination in his book.

Once the chains were in place he released the transmission on her car and made sure the emergency brake was off. "Do you want to fill out the paperwork in the cab while I pull up your car? It's a lot more comfortable in there." He said, noting the coming dusk and not wanting to have her standing out here if someone came around the corner too quickly. "This will just take a minute or two." His blue eyes glanced down the road concernedly, and he rubbed a hand across the scruffiness of his chin as he waited for her answer. It looked like he hadn't shaved for a few days.

she had to fight off a bit of embarrassment from reaching her cheeks to his reply and that crooked smile it was kinda sexy she must admit. To be honest, it wasn;t a normal thing to first meet a man and not have them make a move on her. it was rather refreshing. she didn’t count what happened in the diner to be considered making a move. And if he was, then he was a smooth criminal she would have to watch out.

It has been alittle more than five years since she has been with a man. Alex seemed to have ruined her outlook on relationships that for her. She wasent sure if she could even be with a man ever again not… Now she only seemes to focus on her studio and dancing…

The five o’clock shadow actually suited him well. Starr smiled and nodded in agreement. “ your right. Bob you said? Towing it there would probably be best. If I tried to work on it, My baby would probably ended being more useless than she is now…” she laughed softly before turning and heading into the cab and waited patiently for him to finish up his work… It was going to suck not having a means of transportation. It seems her luck was just turning out rotten lately.

Starr sighted as she looked out the window. the sun had finally set and the stars were finally coming out. she sought out the brightest one and only stared off into the distance. What’s next?

Drew slid into the driver's seat and pulled his seat belt across his lap. "Alright, Bob's it is. I can let you know if it's worth dumping money into or not." He picked up a clip board and held it towards her. "Just fill out what you can and we'll get you set up."

He pulled into the auto shop and dropped her Marquis off by one of the bays before taking a look at her paperwork. "Well good... everything looks in order." He tore off the second sheet and handed it to her. "So. You got a ride coming, or you need a ride?" He closed up the tow truck and locked the door. "I can wait with you here if you have someone coming or... if you need a ride I have a spare seat." He pointed to an older Chevy Avalanche parked on the side of the garage. "And I swear," he said, raising his right hand in the two-fingered boy scout salute, "that I'm not a pervert or some psycho. Which I suppose is what a pervert or a psycho would say."

Starr chewed on her bottom lip with a concern expression as she silently said goodbye to her beloved boat on wheels. A soft giggle escaped her full lips to his offer. He was just an awkwardly cute man. She liked it. Starr nodded. “Thank you, that is much appreciated.” Starr turned her attention over to his vehicle. of corse, it was a much better upgrade than hers. Who didn’t have a better car than her here?

Starr hoped in the truck and waited for him to start the car and drive off. Starr turned to him with a soft smile. “You have really saved me today, thank you… I’m Starr” She intruduced herself finally. “I havent seen you around, how long have you been in town?” she tried not to get to personal with her questions. and bombarding him with them right now wouldn’t be nice either so she left it at small chit chat.

it didn’t take long to follow her directions and arrive to her house. She lived it a small homey log cabin in the middle of no where with no neighbors for miles. The trees and green grass was full and lush. she even had a beautiful rose bush growing up the side of her home.

The gravel road crackled under the nice mans tires as he pulled in. When his headlights lit up her cabin was when she noticed a man standing at her door. Just standing there with his arms crossed over his crest wearing a horrifing angry expression… “A-Alex….” her voice was shaky and barley audiable but there was evidence of terror in her eyes.

Starr forced a smile as she looked over at the man who so kindly helped her out today. “Thank you… you can drop me off here….” Her voice seemed different now almost, emotionless. she opened the car door then made her way up to Alex.

“What are you doing here Alex. you know you can go back to prison for even stepping on these grounds.. now go before I call the poli----”

SMACK

Alex back handed her with all the force he hand, throwing her to the floor of the wooden deck. “You little whore! You think you can leave me like that?!!”

He accepted her hand. "Hi Starr. I'm Drew." He turned down the long two-laned highway and began to drive out of town. "I've been here for about four months," he answered, looking around at the remote location where they were. "Are you sure that you're not the psycho here? This looks like a perfect spot for one of those Freddy Kruegar movies."

Her house was small and cute, and he realized that he was half-expecting a gingerbread house and a wicked witch. There was, however, what looked like a pissed-off husband or boyfriend waiting on the front door.

"Are you sure you want to --" but she got out and walked towards the guy. A moment later he had hit her across the jaw, sending the girl sprawling across the deck.

Drew sprang from his truck and was wrapped up around the other man before he even thought about it. The PTSD and the sight of a large man attacking someone who the ex-soldier had been protecting sent him off. Before he could stop himself he had grabbed the man by the hair and was slamming his head against the wooden deck repeatedly.

Everything happened so fast that she wasn’t sure why she was even on the ground. A painful stinging sensation overwhelmed the left side of her face. He must have hit her, just like he always had before. Things would never change, that was clear. She lifted her chin to look the monster that just hit her in the eyes as he begun to walk towards her. This time to probably finish what he wasn’t able to before he was put away. Alex was on top of with his hands wrapped around Starr’s delicate neck when suddenly Alex was forced off.

Starr laid there for a few seconds more trying to catch her breath. Once she was breathing properly once more she sat up to see what was going on. Her eyes widened at the sight to behold. Drew had taken down Alex and was now bashing his head into the deck. She had to act fast or Drew was going to kill him!

Starr staggered to her feet and ran over to them, kneeling down in front of drew and Alex. She has seen the look that Drew had in his eyes before. Her brother used to have it after he left the army. It was just a guess, but Drew must have been in a war. All she knew was she shouldn’t touch him when he was in this state so she stayed an arm’s length away. “Drew. Drew! Please Stop! You’re going to kill him!” She yelled as tears fell down her cheeks causing the stinging sensation all over again. She didn’t want Drew to get in trouble with the law because of her. He was such a nice man and has helped her out so much today…

No one. No matter how loud she would scream, absolutely no one would help her the days Alex would harm her. Sometimes it would be privately, or even in the public. Still no one cared to help…. Starr was too scared to actually leave the man. It was survival. She knew he would kill her if she left him, she just knew it… Then the day came when she couldn’t live like this anymore, too scared to go outside but terrified to even come home… So one day she had called the police right before she told Alex she was leaving him. She was right. If it wasn’t for that call, and the police arriving just in time, she would be dead…

Starr was in the hospital for 4 months was even told she wouldn’t be able to dance anymore. It never stopped her from moving forward, and now she has even started dancing again… She knew Alex was in prison for an attempt of murder and several other accounts so she knew she could live a normal, happy life…

Why? Why?! Why what he here?? How was it possible he got out of prison??? Why now? After everything was falling into place…. Why was she feeling so scared and helpless again after all she has done to change that….

This wasn’t working. She was desperate for the man to not kill the other. Starr held out her shaky hand and placed it on his shoulder with a supportive firm grip. “Drew it’s okay, I’m okay. Please… Stop… “She begged

He wasn't some guy hitting his girlfriend - Alex personified every enemy militant who had raped and tortured women in the small villages Drew had been through. He'd seen so much of that and had to look the other way to stay alive that the guilt and nightmares haunted him, even now that three years had passed that he had been 'home'.

Alex was fighting back but with each blow he got weaker. The suddenness of Drew's attack had caught him by surprise. No one had ever interfered with him before! Who the fuck was this guy? Why was he here? All he knew for sure was that he was going to kill him for interfering with him and his girl. The fucker was going to hurt.

“Drew. Drew! Please Stop! You’re going to kill him!”

Andrew was snarling at the man in a foreign language. The words were both harsh and lyrical, a language from the Middle East and likely foreign to Alex and Starr. He heard Starr's voice but in his mind he heard her yelling in another tongue, yelling for revenge as she held her slaughtered daughter in her arms.

“Drew it’s okay, I’m okay. Please… Stop…" A hand closed over Drew's shoulder.

He turned and pulled back his fist, glancing over his shoulder as he was about to hit the other insurgent when his vision cleared. This wasn't one of the rapists he had been forced to travel with. This wasn't a soldier in a war in a far-away country... this was a woman.

He was home.

Drew let go of the man on the ground and inhaled, dropping his fist slowly. "I..." He looked down at Alex on the ground. The man's nose was bleeding, his jaw was bruised, and there was undoubtedly going to be damaged to his skull. The man was groaning and his eyes had rolled back

"Oh shit." The tow truck driver slowly stood up as realization came over him. "I'm sorry... I just saw him hit you and..." He shook his head. "You should call an ambulance."

Relief overwhelmed her once he came back to reality and backed away from Alex who just laid there groaning motionless. Starr immideatly begun checking Alex’s wounds. Drew’s voice turned her attention off Alex and to him. “Right!” She agreed about the ambulance.

Starr pulled out her phone and called for one and explained the situation thoroughly.

Once she ended the call and made sure Alex would be alive when the medic would be here she made her way over to Andrew. “Hey, Are you okay? “ Her voice was soft and supportive, like a mother to her scared child.. “I’m sorry I involved you in all this. I really am… “ Starr looked away obviously quite ashamed of herself. This revealed that her left check was now black and blue edging to her eye. “However, I want to thank you very much for helping tonight. I am forever in your debt. please let me know if there is anyway I can repay you… Free dance lessons maybe?” a small chuckle escaped her lips as she tryed to lighten the mood.

She didn’t want to bring up his past or why he blacked out and acted in such a way. that was the last thing she wanted to do to him. She just wanted to make the man who just saved her life smile. it was the least she could do…

Andrew paced, looking over to where the girl and her boyfriend were, listening to her explain to the 911 operator what had happened... it was likely that Drew would be booked on assault, at the least. Unless the local sheriff was incredibly understanding.

He shook his head. No... he already had a charge on his record from his ex-wife's fiancee... it wasn't likely that he'd get off with a slap on his wrist this time. He looked up when the girl came back to him and asked him if he was okay. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine, I - your cheek!" He put a hand on her jaw to get a better look at her injury. "You should get some ice on that. He walloped you really good."

Drew looked over at Alex again before answering Starr. "I'm really sorry about your boyfriend. I just... I saw him hit you and I went kind of blank." He inhaled slowly. "It's not who I am. I'm not the kind of guy who picks fights for no reason it's just that, well, you shouldn't put up with that."

The sound of approaching sirens told them that help was on the way. In a few minutes they'd be surrounded by paramedics and the sheriff. "Are you going to be okay?" Drew asked her. "He's not your husband, is he?"

Starr winced slightly when he touched her jaw. She looked away rather ashamed of the whole situation. She turned her back to him before speaking. “There was a time I thought this is all I derserved… but I came to the realization that I could do better, a lot better. Even if that meant being alone for the rest of my life with no man beside me, it was better than this everyday…” she turned to look over her shoulder at Drew when he asked I he was her husband…

She smiled a small sad crooked smile as she shook her head. “No… He was my fiancée three years ago. When I tried to leave him for obvious reasons he tried to kill me, got pretty close to his goal too…. However, I lived and sent him to prison for domestic violence, attempt at murder, assault and a few other counts… “ she frowned and looked away again. “When I was with him, I was terrified to leave my home but more terrified to be in it. It was a horrible time in my life and I thought I didn’t have to look over my shoulder in fear anymore… until tonight. Why was he out of prison? Why was he here? I don’t nderstand anything right now… It seems right when I start getting my life on track it crumbles once more….”

The sound of sirens crept closer. Starr turned to him as she rubbed the back on her neck while chuckling nervously. “Wow! Look at me sharing my whole tragic life story with a stranger! I’m sorry! I’m sure you don’t even care to hear anything about this… I’m really sorry I got you involved in all of this… I actually have a restraining order on Alex so he should be behind bars for just stepping on these groungs let alone touching me again… But I’m kinda worried about you… I’m so sorry… I don’t know what to do…”

The police and ambulance arrived soon afterwards, and they took a statement from Starr. Drew had to sign a form promising to stay in the county until they knew if charges would be pressed, and the ambulance took Starr's ex-boyfriend to the hospital for observation. The fact that Alex had a restraining order filed against him, and the fact that he had hit Starr first, helped to off-set Drew's previous record.

Once the officials left, Andrew went over to Starr. "Look... don't worry about telling me all that." He waved a hand toward where Alex had been. "We all have our histories... most of it not very pretty." He smiled. "I'll have the shop call you when they find out what to do with your car. Until then do you have someone you can call for a ride? I mean... for tomorrow. If you need a ride to town, I'm actually not too far from here. I'm renting the old Henley house up the street a few miles."

He wrote his personal number on the back of a business card and handed it to her. "It's the least I can do to make it up to you."

It was a relief that he understood about her past and didn’t think any different of the woman she was now. Starr watched as he pulled out a business card and begun writing on the back of it. Only when he handed it to her was she able to see his number. He was so kind to offer her a ride and with a nod she would smile and reply, “thank you, I just might take you up on that offer…” They he spoke of how it was the least he could do to repay her. Starr didn’t understand… What did she do? Other than get him into trouble tonight. There was nothing that had to be repaid…

Starr shook her head. “Please, there is no reason for you to repay me… I honestly think I have to repay you. Thank you so much.” She smiled a soft sad smile as she replayed the night in her mind… She was honestly afraid to be alone tonight. She knew she would be looking around the darkness of the corners in fear thinking Alex is there… “I’ll see you off. Make sure you make it home safe and get a good nights sleep.” She told him…

Starr walked him over to his car. Once he stepped inside she smiled and back away with a wave good bye. She watched as he drove off down the dirt road. Once he was out of sight was when she finally looked around cautiously before turning and heading inside. Slowly she clutched the door knob with shaky hands. Her legs felt like rubber threatening her to loose her balance and fall any moment…

Finally, the door was open, once again she looked about her home cautiously. For some reason it felt less than her home and more like prison. Like she was trapped. Sighing before she breathed in deep and exhaled slowly. “Okay, snap out of it! I’m fine, it’s fine, everything is okay now….” Starr tried to convince herself although it wasn’t working the way it was supposed too…

Starr closed the door behind her and locked the bolt, chain, and knob before heading to her room and undressing into her night down… finally, the day was over. What a horrible day… “At least… most of it was…” she spoke to herself as she pictured Drew… The only good thing that happened today was him… with that thought she placed the card with his number on her night stand before laying down and soon falling asleep…

RING RING RING~

The sound of her mobile phone slowly woke Starr up. Her hand fumbled to her night stand and slammed down on the wood as she gripped the phone and answered only half awake. “Yes, Hello?”

“Starr!” Her friend’s voice seemed panicked. Causing Starr to sit up in bed quickly.

“What?! What?! What’s wrong??” Starr seemed worried.

“I heard what happened last night! Are you okay?” she sounded concerned

“Huh?” The memories of the events of last night filled her mind. Starr stood out of bed then headed to the mirror only to reveal her black eye and swollen lip and cheek. Sighing as she touched it then winced in pain. This will be hard to impossible to hide… she thought to herself.

“Starr?? Are you still there?? Are you okay??” the panic in her friend’s voice returned.

Starr sighed. “I’m alive. So I’m fine…” she told her friend.”If you don’t mind. I’m going to get ready for the day. I will call you later.” She didn’t give her time to answer before she pressed the end button.

Starr tried not to panic herself. When she woke up this morning she thought last night was all a dream and now that she knows it wasn’t she couldn’t help but panic… Starr looked over to her night stand where the card still laid… she picked it up, hesitated before she punched in the number in her phone then pressed call. It rang a few time before she heard Drew’s voice answer it…

“Oh! U-um Hello! This is Starr… Sorry to call you but I was wondering… would you like to go into town and get some food or coffee? It’s on me, It’s the least I can do to repay you… I still need to get dressed but I’ll be ready in like an hour… And I’m not taking no for an answer!” a soft giggle escaped her lips. Once she got Drew’s response she smiled before hanging up and heading to her shower to freshen up… It didn’t take long before she turned off the water, wrapping a towel around herself then stepping out of the tub to look in the mirror with a sigh… There was nothing she could do about her bruised face so she would have to wear her battle wound with her head high… she got Dressed and awaited Drew’s arrival.

He reluctantly left the little cottage and drove to drop off the tow truck at Joe's Auto. His own vehicle was a small truck, a 'newish' purchase that he bought once he realized that this ex-wife really needed his old truck. In truth he couldn't stand too many reminders of his old life.

His own rental was an older farmhouse that he was thinking of buying. He was tired of feeling like he had no home, and waking up in unfamiliar places was wearing him down. That night he slept out on the porch because the night was so perfectly cool. After the fight he didn't want to be inside, anyway. He hated the feel of being closed in.

He answered his phone that morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear Starr on the other end. "Hey! How are you feeling? - Yes, sure. I'll be there. - Bye." He looked at the phone for a few moments, a silly smile on his face. Sure, it was just coffee and breakfast, but it sure beat sitting around waiting to go to work. It was a strange thing; he had once worked on huge tanks and armored personnel carriers, troop-movers and trucks... now he was tinkering on cars and driving a tow truck for a boss who spent too much effort worrying about football games and not enough time out there running around himself.

Andrew jumped in the shower and rinsed off, then put on a pair of jeans and a white shirt under an unbuttoned chamois shirt. His usual 'uniform' included Red Wing boots, and he didn't see a reason to deviate from his normal pattern. After all, he'd probably go to work after seeing Starr.

Soon he was pulling into her driveway in his 2010 Ford Ranger. He parked near her front porch and then went up to knock on the door, hoping that he wasn't too eager. Er... early.

((sorry about this post! a little road block in my mind! Heh))

Back and forth, back and forth. Starr paced about the room impatiently. “this is just breakfast and coffee. Nothing more! Yeah… Then why am I so anxious… “ She spoke to herself. The sound of Drew knocking on the door caused Starr to jump out of her skin. Sighing she shook her head at herself. “What is wrong with me? Get it together Starr!” Starr told herself before walking over to the door

Starr breathed in deep and exhaled slowly. She opened the door with a smile on her face. “Hey Drew, thanks again for coming. I honestly didn’t want to be stuck at home all day” She giggled as she closed the door behind her then locking it.

Starr walked over with him to his truck before hoping in and buckling up. “Do you know where the First Morning Stop is? It’s a small little diner that is walking distance from my work. So it would be perfect to go to” she smiled “And it has a great menu!” A small chuckle escaped her lips.

Andrew looked at her and nearly did a double take. She looked gorgeous. It took a moment for him to realize that she was talking, but he managed to get to the passenger door and open it in time for her. "Yeah, I know where that is. I think I've been there for a pickup or three. It seems to be a place where a lot of older cars frequent."

He smiled. "But I've never eaten there, so it'll be nice to try it with a friend." He got in and began to drive them down their shared road, an old two-lane with a few holes in it. "So anyway... you said that you're a dance teacher? What's that like?"

Drew turned on the air conditioner to help combat the humid, hot air of the summer morning. It already felt like it was going to be a scorcher of a day.

“Oh thank you” she told him with a smile when he opened the car door for her. That was something she wasn’t quite used to anymore. It’s been so long since someone has opened doors and pulled out chairs for her. To be honest, it’s been so long since she has been with another man. Even if it was just out as friends.

“Oh, it’s great. Just like grandma’s cooking great!” she laughed

Then he spoke of her work and asked how it was. Starr looked at Drew silently smiling then looking out the window. “It’s my little pride and joy. It was my dream as a child through teen life to become a professional dancer. I was almost there too. However, my leg was broken in two places and needed surgery on it… I was told I could never dance again. So I ended opening a shop in town. If I couldn’t dance then why not teach dance. I wasn’t going to give it up completely. I’m too hard headed.” She giggled before speaking again. “Sometimes after class and I’m all alone, I find myself dancing even though I’m not supposed to. But hey, It’s a part of me…”

Starr noticed that she was rambling the whole time. Her cheeks flushed pink. “ Heh, I’m sorry. That is just something I could talk about for hours. I don’t mean to bore you!” she looked over at him. “You should stop by sometime, if you would like too I mean!”

“What about you? Do you like your line of work?” she asked before looking out the window at the passing by trees and sceneary. “You’ve been here for about four months right? Have you found anything in North Carolina you enjoy? There’s not much here. But I think if you find something simple that keeps you happy it seems to make you complete.”

"You're not boring me," he assured her. "I like learning about people." Drew glanced over at her and smiled before returning his eyes to the road. "Following your dreams is a great thing - too many of us lose sight of our dreams." He drove for a few moments as he thought about her question.

"I like my job well enough," he replied. "It's honest work and I don't have to be inside too much. Sometimes the weather sucks... I mean, it seems like people have the worse car problems in the sweltering heat or the freezing rain." He chuckled. "But, uhm, it beats trying to get a tank running in the middle of a firefight." He gave her a smile that meant that he could laugh about it now but at the time it happened it was anything but funny.

"North Carolina is nice. I like these small towns." Drew signaled and turned off the highway into the frontage road that ran into town. "I actually don't do well in cities anymore, to be honest." He pulled into the parking lot of the little diner and parked his truck, resting his hands on the steering wheel. "I moved here from Atlanta, and before that it was Birmingham. Cities and I just don't do well together."

He turned off the truck and walked around to help her with her door. He was thinking about her statement that if he found something he liked about the area or something that made him happy then he'd be complete. Drew was enjoying her company, and for a moment he thought that she might be what he needed to be happy.

When he spoke of him working with a tank in a firefight she looked over at him. She want to ask so much. She wanted to get to know him, know everything about this man. However she had a feeling that if she would ask then she would be pushing him away. So she would wait, patiently until he would open up to her on his own accord. His secrets and everything about him would come at their own time and she was willing to wait. So Starr only smile back at him. “Yes, I suppose it does beat that.” Is all she replied.

“ I was born and raised here. I moved to new York for my dance. Stayed there for 5 years until my accident forced me to stop. So I decided to move back here. Been quite content since. I’m around the friendly people I grew up with and I know they care about me.” She giggled. “They may have a big mouth and tell the whole town things you don’t want them too. But they mean well. You just have to pick and choose who you tell your secrets too.” She looked over at him with a smile as he pulled in the diner

He would open her door and she would politely thank him. They both walked into the diner together then sat at a booth near the window.

“Starr! Welcome back! It’s been a few days.” The waiter confronted her then gasped at the sight of her cheek. “Are you okay!?” he asked as he placed two water’s done to get them started until he takes their orders.

Starr only laughed and played it off like nothing. “Yes, I’m fine. I just fell at work while showing the kids a dance move. I guess I really can’t dance anymore” She lied knowing that he would spread rumors so she tried her best to make it believable.

“You need to been more carful Starr. You can really hurt yourself again…” He replied looking concerned. He seemed to believe the fib

“I’ll be more carful.” She told him

He turned to Drew. His facial expression changed from a smile to a frown. Then looked back at Starr. “IS this your boyfriend?”

Starr nearly chocked on her water. Her cheeks turned bright red. “N-no! I mean He’s just a friend. He helped me out so I’m repaying him” She told him with a smile

The waiter seemed rather relieved. “Oh! Okay! Anways! What can I get you two?” he asked while pulling out his notebook and pen.

“My usual breakfast please and a coffee, black” she told him. She waited for Drew to order and for the waiter to walk away.

Starr looked at Drew and smile a nervous crocked smile. “Heh, Sorry about that. How embarrassing!” she laughed

Drew ordered an omelet and orange juice and then waited for their waiter to leave before leaning forward on his elbows to speak quietly to his breakfast companion. "So... that was awkward." He smiled. "We all have our secrets and embarrassing past, Starr. Don't worry about it."

He took a drink of water. "So what happened in New York? I mean, with your accident. It sounded like you were living your dream when all of a sudden it was taken from you." He tilted his head sympathetically. "And you mentioned that you grew up around here? Is your family here?"

The waiter returned with the coffee and juice, casting another furtive glance at Drew before leaving again.

Drew shook his head slightly. "So anyway... hopefully the mothers of the girls you teach won't walk in here and think that I did that to you." He raised an eyebrow. "They'll know that you didn't fall." The look on his face wasn't condemning, though. He understood that she wanted to hide the fact that her ex had hit her, and it wasn't any of his business to tell her to do differently.

Starr shook her head with a smile. “Yes, very awkward!”

then he asked about New york. She wasne’t sure i she was giong to tell him but she knew he would probably learn from someone else in town. Sercerts get around pretty quick in a small town and her secret about New York was no exception. she got mixed signals from everyone. Some were sympathetic, thers were judgmental but no one was there for her like she had wanted..

Starr sipped on her coffee that had come before setting it down the watching the liquid began to settle from the movement.. “Well I was living a dream in New York. it was all taken away from me from one man, everything... “ she began her life’s story. “You see I met Alex in New York. Everything was great between us for a while… Then he asked me to marry him and I declined. I told him I would like to be together for longer than a year before we got married… I wanted to know everything about him. And I learn real quick what he had been hiding from me… That night the beatings started and progessed over time until only day he had hit me so much that he almost killed me… the force of his fist fractured a rib causing it to pierce my kidney… “She pointered to her side. “I have an ugly scare now because of it. I was lucky to live and be here today. Well he had also fractured one of my legs. I had 3 surgrys to fix them. I had to relearn to walk let alone be able to dance. They told me it wasen’t possible but I still find myself trying in vain…”

She scratched the back of her headher eyes still on the coffee. “Well that’s my life story. “ she smiled up at him as she finally looked at him. she wanted to ask him about his however he seemed the type to keep it all to himself. she figured he would tell her when he was ready

Back
Top Bottom