Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Trapped In An MMORPG! ~~ Sword Art Online Inspired Role Play

Practical Insanity

Planetoid
So I posted this idea in my one on one request thread, but I think that the idea lends itself very well to a group role play so I thought that I would post it here too and see if anyone would be interested. Hopefully we'll get an even spread of ladies and gentlemen, but we'll see. If you've seen Sword Art Online then you get the idea here, but just in case you have not, let me give you the run-down.

A new Massively Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) has just came out and it's going to revolutionize the gaming industry. How? It's a full-immersion virtual reality game. Essentially, while logged into the game, you don't just control your character - you ARE your character. On launch day, the game is a huge hit and sells thousands upon thousands of copies world-wide. Thousands of players log into the game only to find that they are unable to log out! They are trapped! How? Why? Well, that's for us to decide. If we want to follow the SAO theme of some kind of twisted death game then we can, or it could be an innocent bug in the system. What matters, and what it all boils down to, is that it is impossible to leave the game.

I'd like to hear from anyone interested. What kind of rules would you like to see? What kind of mechanics? Do we want to create out own world like SAO did or do we want to use an existing MMO as a backdrop for the role play?

I am not familiar with SAO, but I did enjoy alot of .hack, which works off a similar line of thoughts. As such, I'd be interested in seeing where this goes.

Persoonally, I think a twisted death game (or something less lethal more no less intentional) could lend structure to where the story takes us, but isn't necessary. Sometimes it's fun to just throw a bunch of people at the wall and see what sticks.

Again, my inexperience with SAO makes me not want to use that as a basis for the story, but creating a world or even using a real, currently existing MMO as a basis might prove interesting.

I loved SAO, and have read a bit of .hack during my high school and college years.

Why not have it where it's a simple science experiment? Many people say if they were in a certain situation, they'd do this, or they'd do that... The person behind the game could be studying the resolve behind a person. I don't know, just an idea.

As for rules or anything along those lines, I think it'd be a good idea where every character who is going to learn a certain skill (short range, long range, magic and the like) needs to seek out a teacher within the game. Again, just another idea.

I would love to do this, though SAO itself is a bit extreme. I personally would like there to be respawns, but i can understand why we wouldn't do that. Setting wise, anything works for me. I agree with Frogger that we need "teachers" to learn skills and we can only dive into one or two different aspects at a time.

Back
Top Bottom