Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

RE: Quix's Writing Samples And Other Stuff (Comments Welcome)

The Marx brothers! Genuinely funny. Makes me want to track down one of their movies; I haven't watched one in some time. I would quote their other brother, Karl, but I didn't want to clutter up your page.

Why my bias against submissive females?

A question which has been asked, and an answer which has been misunderstood or misinterpreted, a million times. This is not directed at any individual, but I will say that previous conversations I've had, and a recent journal post I read, did provide the impetus for me to write it.

When I use the word submissive in my threads, it is generally used in it's adjective form, to describe a character trait. I dislike submissiveness or passivity, as a personality trait, in any sentient creature, it's not purely limited to female human beings. (However, female human beings are who I'm looking to write with on these boards, hence the apparent 'singling out'). If people don't want their characters to be assumed submissive, maybe they shouldn't label them as such? The adjective form of the word has absolutely nothing to do with 'sexual submissiveness, a desire to be dominated, or being a submissive, in the D/S sense. My threads state that quite clearly.

However, having said that, I personally despise Dominant / Submissive, and Master/Slave dynamics. This is a personal view (I am talking whole 'lifestyle' here), and it does not mean i think less of anyone who chooses to be a Submissive (or a Dominant for that matter). Nor do I think it has any correlation to intelligence or capability. It boils down to my own personal intellectual values, needs, and what's philosophically important to me. As posted on another thread on this site, with some slight edits:

"I don't obtain a mental or sexual kick from a Master/Slave or Dom/Sub scenario. Due to my own strong need for/value of independence and personal autonomy, a natural inclination to do the exact opposite of what someone tells or expects me to do, and a complete inability to comprehend the concept of actively desiring to give up control of my independence and personal autonomy in any form whatsoever, I find it impossible to be mentally - which for me, also means sexually - attracted to someone whose desire it is to please, submit, be subservient, or have another person's needs take priority over their own.

In fact, seeing/sensing that wish or willingness to hand over control to another, outside of the bedroom, will immediately switch off any interest I have in getting them into the bedroom. Hence, whilst I enjoy some aspects of BDSM from a dominant perspective, I have no interest in the Dom/Sub dynamic itself. I like to be constantly tested by an independent will as strong as my own. In roleplay, It's the process of taking/gaining control over another who doesn't want to give it up, and the challenge - whether it be physical or mental - that involves, which interests me more than the exertion of control itself. As the saying goes, 'What's the kill without the hunt?'"

Am I right? Am I wrong? There is no right or wrong, however I am entitled to my preferences, as is everyone else.

Finally, there is the collaborative story/writing aspect, which is where most of the sarcasm contained on my threads is directed. I am here to write a variety of stories with a variety of themes, against a variety of characters, and I find there to be a plethora of 'submissive' characters, who come into a story with no independent motivations, goals, desires, dreams, or hopes of their own - and I have written against enough of them to know what I'm talking about. To me, it's those very things which defines personality (both in fiction and real-life), and makes a character unique rather than just another bland 'Mary-Sue'. That's what provides depth to a story.

Regardless of what anyone may think, or try to argue, there are different creative requirements involved in writing a character who has a goal or desire, and is required to manipulate the other characters actions (through their writing partner) in their attempt to achieve it, than writing one who has no independent agency or purpose. It has nothing to do with domination/submission per se. Why some people refuse to ever leave their comfort zone, and take on a challenge in regards to the base character and personality types they portray, on a site dedicated to creative writing, is something that I'll never understand.

You are absolutely entitled to your preferences and, as you say, so is everyone else. I love this site and see it as a judgment free zone on the 'net but for for those things that expressly violate the rules of BMRP.

Plus, I fully expect that you and I ... opposite ends of the scale on this particular issue ... will eventually find the time and right subject matter for a role play between us at which point, I fully expect we will churn out sizzling pages.

seal_3.jpg

Thanks Jolie, and I realise my preferences are far from the majority view, but that's okay. As someone slightly famous once said:

"If I start giving people what they like, I'll turn into one of them, and I don't want to be one of them. I want to be one of me."

Craig Ferguson

From our conversations, we may not be quite as far off as you imagine. It all boils down to the active desire of the opposing character to submit, or display subservience. I've never said I don't want to dominate :) Unfortunately, my brain see these subtle distinctions with complete clarity, but they can be difficult to express.

Your Evil Housewife certainly appears as if she'd give me enough of a challenge!

Never the Twain shall meet, but I wish I could have.

Mark-Twain-1.jpg

mark_twain_quote_4.jpg

Were-an-idiot-quote-Mark-Twain.jpg

mark-twain-quote.jpg

mark_twain_quote-fool_quote.jpg

religion-was-invented-when-the-first-con-man-met-with-the-first-fool-mark-twain.jpg

mark-twain-quotes-12.png

God+created+war+so+that+americans+would+learn+geography.jpg

quote-the-man-who-does-not-read-good-books-has-no-advantage-over-the-man-who-cannot-read-them-mark-twain-188051.jpg

mark-twain-quote.jpg

I feel bad for all the little girls reading fairy tales about princes who come and save them. They should learn that they can be strong, independent women who don't need a man to affirm their self worth...

Anon

I'm feeling a little Voltaire today:

cute-voltaire-quotes-sayings-wisdom-people-deep-wise.jpg

voltaire-the-longer-we-dwell.jpg

9981d5afcfce6b318e54d1565b6fb7d3.jpg

quote-nothing-can-be-more-contrary-to-religion-and-the-clergy-than-reason-and-common-sense-voltaire-191187.jpg

012-Voltaire-knew.png

6ff2da25748834cc664a8812213bb642.jpg

Clever-Facebook-Status-32438-statusmind.com.jpg

Dude you are so philosophical and deep. :cool:

Love Voltaire and his strong stand on freedom of speech. Didn't he say, "If you want to find out who your master is, find out who you aren't allowed to criticize?" 0r words to that effect.

Fun musician too!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ_ZQkV58Cc[/video]

;)

Jolie said:
Love Voltaire and his strong stand on freedom of speech. Didn't he say, "If you want to find out who your master is, find out who you aren't allowed to criticize?" 0r words to that effect.

Fun musician too!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ_ZQkV58Cc[/video]
;)

Yep, you're right Jolie. I'm the same with Voltaire, and as you may have gathered from some of my quotes, I have most admiration for those who were prepared to stand up on principle for something they believed in, and speak their real thoughts, regardless of consequence, or how unpopular it was:

Rqj4l.jpg

This here, is why I have so much time and respect for Ingersoll:

When the bloody Civil War was over, Robert G. Ingersoll entered the political arena. He became Attorney General of the State of Illinois. His fame as an orator, his integrity, his reputation as an astute lawyer, made him the most logical candidate for the nomination for the Governorship of his state.

His views on the question of religion, by this time, were well known. He never lost an opportunity to speak the praises of Thomas Paine.

A delegation of political leaders came to see him. They stated their business, and named the conditions upon which he was to receive the nomination for the Governorship of the State of Illinois.

The proposition was that he would receive the nomination provided he concealed his religious opinions.

Robert G. Ingersoll refused to accept their proposition. They begged, they implored him to change his mind. They told him that they did not want him to change his convictions, but merely to keep them to himself.

He gave them a reply: "I would rather refuse to be President of the United States than to do so. My belief is my own. It belongs to me, not to the State of Illinois. I would not smother one sentiment of my heart to be the Emperor of the round world..."

I'd never heard of the musician! I like it. I'm not going to be able to get that out of my head for the whole damn day now :)

Mr Quixotic said:
I'd never heard of the musician! I like it. I'm not going to be able to get that out of my head for the whole damn day now :)

He's fun. Born in Cuba, I believe he grew up in America. Some refer to his style as "Goth Caberet."

On freedom of speech, here's a tongue-in-cheek quote in favor of censorship,

99971413c518e30e1b923cb71936f4b3.jpg

I think this journal needs a little more of a female presence, and I do so love a woman with a sharp wit.

parker+quote.jpg

quote-i-like-to-have-a-martini-two-at-the-very-most-after-three-i-m-under-the-table-after-four-i-m-dorothy-parker-349061.jpg

dorothy-parker-quote-it-serves-me-right-for-putting-all-my-eggs-in-one.jpg

dorothy-parker-quote-i-require-three-things-in-a-man-he-must-be.jpg

dorothyparker_writerencouragement.png

Quotation-Dorothy-Parker-woman-humor-Meetville-Quotes-101445.jpg

Quotation-Dorothy-Parker-humor-order-Meetville-Quotes-190465.jpg

dorothy_parker_quote.jpg

quote-you-can-lead-a-horticulture-but-you-can-t-make-her-think-dorothy-parker-258053.jpg

ccd5093397f134ec957057a50e567f18.jpg

I can imagine some fun conversations between Churchill and Ms. Parker. Her funniest quote in your list, for me, was "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her her think." For some reason, it makes me recall an apocryphal exchange between Eva Peron and an elderly, retired Italian admiral:

Eva Peron: Did you hear that? They called me a whore! They actually called me a whore!

Italian Admiral: But Segnora Peron, it's an easy mistake. I'm still called an admiral, though I gave up the sea long ago.

Actually, it's almost totally unrelated to Ms. Parker's quote, but that's how the mind works.

The quote I found the most true for me is, "I hate writing, I love having written." Now that is how I feel too often.

Jolie said:
I can imagine some fun conversations between Churchill and Ms. Parker. Her funniest quote in your list, for me, was "You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her her think." For some reason, it makes me recall an apocryphal exchange between Eva Peron and an elderly, retired Italian admiral:

Eva Peron: Did you hear that? They called me a whore! They actually called me a whore!

Italian Admiral: But Segnora Peron, it's an easy mistake. I'm still called an admiral, though I gave up the sea long ago.

Actually, it's almost totally unrelated to Ms. Parker's quote, but that's how the mind works.

The quote I found the most true for me is, "I hate writing, I love having written." Now that is how I feel too often.

I can as well, nothing more enjoyable than listening to sharp wits bantering with each other. Now as to who would come out on top between those two, I'm not sure!

I can see how you made the connection, my brain does the same thing. Sometimes it's so random, that it can take me an hour to explain how I got there, but there's always some connection. I love that exchange. Luckily I'm the first in at work, otherwise people would have heard me laugh out loud for no apparent reason.

The same with that final quote. It's why I put it last, as it's how I often feel. It's the end result that makes the process worthwhile.

I'm in a rather philosophical mood again.

ayn-rand-on-the-individualist.jpg

ayn-rand-writer-quote-the-man-who-lets-a-leader-prescribe-his-course.jpg

Ayn-Rand-Famous-Quotes.jpg

ayn-rand-writer-throughout-the-centuries-there-were-men-who-took.jpg

ayn+rand+quotes4.jpg

2a54331a685ef90e91edecdb6273b4b7.jpg

A certain thread got me thinking about this great man of words. Introducing (though I'm sure he needs no introduction) Mr George Bernard Shaw:

george-bernard-shaw-quote.jpg

548709_320576548036905_1516704290_n.jpg

gbs.jpeg

george-bernard-shaw-quotes-sayings-deep-wise-liberty-brainy.jpg

Quotation-George-Bernard-Shaw-conversation-trouble-speech-power-funny-Meetville-Quotes-39018.jpg

8d30f6585389a98516d55694fda17105.jpg

All roleplay responses now written, except one, which I'm waiting on a response to an OoC question on, and my brain's much more relaxed. I'm so tempted to bump, but I know once I do, I'll receive replies all at once, and get that overwhelmed feeling again. My story with Mali turns nine months old tomorrow, and after seventy thousand words, is still going as strong as ever.

A big shout-out, for the second time, goes to Ariamella, for creating an awesome movie poster for 'Hyde and Seek', which can be found here. I must admit that I was a little concerned when you said that you were going to make the thread 'pretty and gorgeous', but I love the end result. Even after zooming in as far as I could to read the fine print at the bottom, XD.

Douglas_Adams_Garden_Fairies.jpg

Mr Quixotic said:
A big shout-out, for the second time, goes to Ariamella, for creating an awesome movie poster for 'Hyde and Seek', which can be found here.

I saw your shout out earlier and sought out the poster. Wow!!! It truly is beautiful and amazing. Ariamella has such talent and is so lovely. But I'll also point out that the writing for both of you in that thread is strong and makes for a fun read. I'll be returning for more than the beauty in the days and weeks to come.

Mr Quixotic said:
A big shout-out, for the second time, goes to Ariamella, for creating an awesome movie poster for 'Hyde and Seek', which can be found here. I must admit that I was a little concerned when you said that you were going to make the thread 'pretty and gorgeous', but I love the end result. Even after zooming in as far as I could to read the fine print at the bottom, XD.

LOL.

At the bottom, I actually had it all typed out, but I did something super shitty in Photoshop and ended up losing a lot of the fine print. It had taken me a good 30 minutes to do it, and I didn't want to redo it. That's why when you zoom in at the bottom, you can see that I had just written 'filler' text, haha!

Thank you again, to both you and Jolie!

Jolie said:
I saw your shout out earlier and sought out the poster. Wow!!! It truly is beautiful and amazing. Ariamella has such talent and is so lovely. But I'll also point out that the writing for both of you in that thread is strong and makes for a fun read. I'll be returning for more than the beauty in the days and weeks to come.

That she does, and that she is. Hopefully we'll get that story of our own going at some stage, to keep people - and ourselves, of course - entertained, XD

Loving that I have two 'Fairy-Tale' stories happening at the moment. I'm having a ball playing the 'Bear' Family in a re-imaging of Goldilocks, and the other, which has just started, is (very) loosely based on Snow White.

Work has become crazy busy this week, and it looks like it will be that way until Christmas, so my posts/OoC chatter may be slowed down for the next couple of weeks, before we close down between Christmas and New Years. I can't wait for the break.

I love quiet Saturday mornings, sitting with a cup of coffee, and watching the rain outside. It's a good time for contemplation. Another of my favourite philosophical minds:

Bertrand-Russell-quote.jpeg

bertrand-russell.jpg

068-A-Foolish-Thing.png

bertrand-russell.jpg

bertrand_russell_quote_4b_postcard-r430c2f49dacb43bb8ea3a32d4dd93487_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg

famous-quotes-9-638.jpg

After eight hours solid sleep last night, for the first time in over twelve months, it's amazing how refreshed I am, and how alert my mind is. So much so that I've actually managed to do three months worth of filing at work! An exercise I detest, and struggle with - my brain is not wired for fiddly or organisational tasks - but not something in good conscience that I can delegate to others.

All roleplay responses written, thought not all sent - I tend to space them out if possible, based on my partner's usual reply time, so that I'm not hit with a heap of responses to write at the same time. However, that seems to work about as well as setting my alarm clock twenty minutes fast, and immediately compensating for it when I wake up anyway.

I'm slightly intrigued and curious at the moment. Over the past couple of months, I've received three or four short humorous and complimentary messages on my threads and writing from the same person (I'm sure if you read this, you'll know who you are, XD), the swapping of one or two snappy one-liners, then end of conversation. With my need for information, it leads to me wanting to engage and obtain further details on her thoughts/the reasons for them, but at the same time I enjoy the sense of 'mystery' the interactions leave me with.

sarcasmgloomies.jpg

The shit is just about the fan, in a big way, at work in the next week or two. Whilst I'm not directly involved, I'm privy to most of the details, and it's not the most comfortable of situations. It does keep things interesting though.

On a brighter note, I love it when you can end a roleplay which runs out of steam or becomes too time consuming, maturely, with respect and friendship still intact on both sides. It appears I'll be taking on a new story with an old partner in the very near future.

I've a weird head for numbers, - to the point of sometimes being almost OCD - and have figured out that my story with Mali has just reached the same number of words as 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer', so between us we've written a novel! (Mali, you're awesome, by the way, XD). That story was commenced before I even contemplated writing on threads, which is something I'm becoming more comfortable with, so I've been thinking about creating a web-page, and posting it in it's entirety. Now if I only had the foggiest about knowing how to create a web page!

And, I'm not really sure why, but I felt like posting a picture of a character I think the most vile I've ever seen in a movie; from one of my all time favourite novels and films. Maybe I can base a story on it one day, and take my revenge on Nurse Ratched?

4_One_Flew_Over_the_Cuckoos_Nest_American_Icons_Louise_Fletcher.jpg

Nurse Ratchet truly is a beautifully articulated villainess. I enjoyed reading this brief article on the Huffington Post talking about the actresses thoughts on the role.

Hope work isn't too bad for you. Sounds tense. My own work is finally lightening up, but I was so busy since before and after Thanksgiving that my energy is a bit low. Today, I've just been sitting in my office kind of enjoying the boredom of not having too much to do.

And as one semi-OCD type to another, I totally get your numbers issues. Gratz on your novel!

Jolie said:
Nurse Ratchet truly is a beautifully articulated villainess. I enjoyed reading this brief article on the Huffington Post talking about the actresses thoughts on the role.

Hope work isn't too bad for you. Sounds tense. My own work is finally lightening up, but I was so busy since before and after Thanksgiving that my energy is a bit low. Today, I've just been sitting in my office kind of enjoying the boredom of not having too much to do.

And as one semi-OCD type to another, I totally get your numbers issues. Gratz on your novel!

Hey, it's good to see you back and posting. I've missed your journal updates. I'm having to go elsewhere for my daily dose of humour, XD

Thanks for the link. I studied the movie, and novel, in High School, and Nurse Ratched definitely left an impression on me. Apparently she was rated fifth worst movie villain of all time by the American Film Institute, and only came in behind "The Wicked Witch Of The West" as the most villainous female.

Nurse Ratched: "Aren't you ashamed?"
Billy: "No, I'm not. "
Nurse Ratched: "You know Billy, what worries me is how your mother is going to take this."

(The moment when I wanted to do truly horrible things to her)

Work isn't too bad. Let's just say that the end of a business partnership can be as bitter and vindictive as the end of any other relationship, if not more. However, it doesn't affect me personally. I'm glad things seem to have settled down for you. Nothing wrong with taking a little break at work. Not that I'd ever do anything like that myself, or type this from my work pc!

And now, my selection for most intensely disliked male movie character; Christopher Plummer from the film adaption of Stephen King's 'Dolores Claiborne'. Highly recommended, I think it one of the best King adaptions.

464515_1.1.jpg

I fell in love with Jennifer Jason-Leigh's character; and the tag-line is a theme that runs through the movie:

tumblr_l3vh6kb1hG1qcqn5ho1_r1_500.jpg

Nothing like a little lunacy to help brighten up a Friday morning even further. Australian humour tends to be more in line with the British, and these always give me a laugh. I'm not sure how well-known Monty Python are in North America.

Monty Python And The Holy Grail - Just A Flesh Wound

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4[/video]

Monty Python's Life Of Brian - Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (if you haven't seen this movie... you should!)

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38[/video]

Edit for rant: Okay, because I'm amongst the most disorganised entities in the Universe, and have a strange knack for numbers, I very rarely write anything down or diarise it electronically, but instead keep it all in my head. Everything from my credit card, drivers licence, and passport details to phone numbers and passwords I can generally rattle off immediately, without conscious effort. However, occasionally my mind draws a blank, and right now, no matter how hard I try, I can't remember my fucking internet banking access number. It's frustrating the hell out of me!

Back
Top Bottom