Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Any Outlander Book fans here?

LaBellaMia

Star
I was just curious if there are any people here on BM that have read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. And if they are excited for the upcoming series on Starz. Anyone? Anyone at all?

Yes, yes, YES! I absolutely fell in love with the Outlander series a few years ago, have read all but the newest book, and am impatiently awaiting the arrival if the show. I'm just trying to figure out who I know that has Starz so that they can help me host a premier party :p I'm starting to reread the first book so that it'll all be fresh.
I can't be the only one who recommends this series to literally EVERYONE...

Amazing right? My best friend introduced me to it a few years ago and let me tell you I near gobbled up the first six books in a month. The first three books are my favorite of the bunch though. Fiery across is the hardest to get through for me.

TFC, because it was tying together so many plot lines from DoA, got a bit convoluted. However, because it is set near where I recently relocated to, it was fun learning about all the local history and taking a step back in time here. One theme from the books that particularly struck me, and eventually led me to more self-discovery, is the concept of polyamory. Between Claire loving and being married to two men at the same time, and Lizzie's relationship with the twins in ABOSAA, I was surprised by how drawn to the concept of loving two men at the same time. It struck a chord with me and after more reading I realized that I have been naturally polyamorous for most of my life naturally while trying to fit into the monogamous mold.

Yeah. I have to say though, some of the plot I can't stand. I found Bree's rape and Claire's unnecessary plot twists. Bree's didn't sit well with me at all and made me cringe. It was so out of left field. Rape as a plot device, of course, isn't my favorite device to you.

I don't know that I'd call them unnecessary. One of the things that I love so much about the books is how they're able to include so much real life in such a fantastical setting. Unfortunately rape is a regular occurrence throughout history. A lot of writers avoid it because it is unsavory and taboo, but I felt like D.G. included it just like she does other trigger topics. Yes it was unexpected, but isn't rape always so?

Definitely. It was what caught me off guard. I mean the spanking in the first book was unexpected but I didn't have issue with it. My tumblr newsfeed is pretty upset about it. The fact that D.G. does keep it historically accurate (coming from a non fiction background) is a real plus. I am thinking the next book is the last one. Jamie and Claire are getting pretty old these days lol.

Back
Top Bottom