Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(2am and Distain)

She felt him tense next to her in the elevator. "Just relax" she said softly. "They won't miss you down there" she said, thinking that his discomfort was coming from leaving his work. She place a hand on the small of his back and gently pushed him out of the elevator. "We don't have to stay long. I just want to show you something."

The floor opened up to a large lobby-like area. "My father works up here" she said with a slight shrug. Two of the walls were floor to ceiling windows, showing the entire city below and even a few more miles. She stepped forward, looking out. "When my grandfather was in charge, I used to hate coming up here. The windows used to be so clear I didn't think anything was there. I was afraid I'd fall out." She laughed softly, looking over her shoulder at Stephen. "Then I grew up. I love the view now. I look out and I think 'All of this could be mine. All of this is mine'" She found herself blushing from relating a personal story like that. Stephen probably didn't care about any of that.

He smiled glad she related his fear to work he did not want to reveal his fear to her. For some reason he wanted to seem a bit tougher then he actually was around her. He smiled as she pushed him from the elevator feeling a bit strange being lead around like that. "I don't think anyone will say anything about me being away from my desk as long as i am with the boss. " He chuckled softly when she mentioned not staying long once he saw the view he wished they could stay longer.

He tried not to laugh at her story but could not fight the smile. It was quite the adorable story nothing like what he was expecting from her. What followed how ever was it at the same time sounded motivated and selfish. He was not quite sure how to take it but he decided to pass judgment. "I guess i should not come up here that often then. I would feel strange just coming up here to look at the view. No matter how amazing it is. Thank you, for the story and sharing your view. " He said looking into her eyes for a moment smiling softly he could see the sweet girl inside her easily. "It means a lot to me. "

Calena laughed softly. "Actually they might say a lot if you're with me" she said simply. She knew about the office gossip. Everybody was trying to one-up everybody else. The honest truth was that they had more competition from people outside of the office than inside. Regardless, they took everything as she did as a necessity to talk about. Who had she gone to lunch with? Who was at the meeting? Was so-and-so at the event with her last night? Had they seen those new pictures on facebook? What did her twitter update mean?

She'd always brushed that kind of thing off for the most part. She figured that people were always going to talk about you so you might as well give them something to talk about.

Her cheeks continued to burn when she saw Stephen's smile. He probably thought she was some kind of idiot. She was a bit disappointed that he wouldn't come up to look at the view. Why in the world would he feel strange about it. Calena did her best to hide her disappointment. She gave a slight nod, looking back out at the window before turning back around and heading back to the elevator. "It was no trouble. No trouble at all. I'm glad you liked it" she said softly, keeping eye contact with him.

"I would love to come up here more often but i don't know how your father would feel about it. " His eyes never leaving hers as she spoke and even when she was not speaking he was still looking into her eyes. He frowned a bit as she turned and began leading him back he did not want to return to his desk just yet. A soft sigh slipped past his lips as they got in the elevator and he could no longer see out the large windows.

"I must be honest i was quite nervous about working for you. I had read up on you last night, working for the owners daughter was a little nerve wrecking. " He smiled at her chuckling softly at how he had allowed rumors to control him. "I am glad i work for you though your a very kind person, easily the nicest boss i have ever had. " He smiled again his brain was not filtering what he was saying causing him to sound like a kiss ass.

"My father wouldn't care. If I told him I wanted you to be able to come up here, he would allow it. It has to get so..claustrophobic down there in your cubicle all day. That view is the closest thing to a breath of fresh air. Besides going all the way downstairs and going outside." She walked into the elevator and stared at the console. She wasn't ready to leave his company. "Is there anywhere else you would like to go?" she asked him. "I'm not the best tour guide in the world, but I can hold my own" she told him smiling.

She laughed softly. "You read up on me, huh? Anything particularly interesting?" She shook her head. "I shouldn't even really be in charge. So many other people take care of things." She smiled at him again; knowing that his compliment was genuine. "I'm glad you think that today. Just wait until the workload tomorrow" she teased him, nudging his body with hers.

"It was mostly just complete gossip about who you had dated and what party you where going to. I did what i could to find information on the business side of your life. It was not easy you should google yourself some time you get a lot of hits. "He smiled over at her wanting badly to continue to take the tour with her butt knowing he needed to get back to work. "Actually i should get back to work. I have already lost a half hour i don't want to get behind. " It pained him to say that but he did want to make a good impression on everyone and that would not happen if he was not working. "I expect it to be completely unbearable but i will find a way to get as much done as i can. " Smiling when she bumped him placing his hand on her arm lightly. "Thank you again for showing me that view it was absolutely amazing.

She rolled her eyes slightly. Mindless gossip. It wasn't anything that she wasn't expecting. Somebody somewhere was always talking about her. She bit her lip slightly as Stephen talked. She wondered how the information had affected his opinion of her. Did he think those things were true? Calena normally didn't care what other people thought. In fact, most of the time she tried to push the envelope just so that people could get the wrong idea. She nodded and made a mental note to check out what information was circling on the web about her. She had somebody to take care of that for her. Well, that's what they were paid to do. Her publicist maybe? She was only contacted when something serious came out that she had to clarify.

Calena cleared her throat. She wanted to tell Stephen to fuck his work. She was the boss. He wouldn't get in trouble and she could always just give his work to anybody else. She decided against it. It was only his first day and he seemed to ambition that it might have been an insult to tell him to blow the rest of the day off. She grinned at him. "If you find it too unbearable take another break and come see me in my office. Maybe there are other treasures around here that I can share with you."

When the elevator stopped she slowly walked back with him to his desk.

"I will do just that. " He smiled following her down the halls his heart lifting as he realized he had found a boss that was really nice. He felt like he was on cloud nine as he walked back to his desk and it showed in his stance and gate. He walked his head held high and a bit of a spring in his step. He had won the lottery when he got this job. It was a easy job and he had a hot boss who seemed to like him. He never for a moment thought he would be anything more then her friend. Though he could not help but take a glance over her fantastic body when ever he got the chance.

When they reached his desk he stepped inside and sat down closing his eyes and taking a deep breath. "How is your head doing by the way it seems like your doing much better. " He said with a smile glad she was no longer in pain, her being happy meant she was less likely to snap at him again.

Calena honestly hoped that Stephen would take her words to heart. Deep down she didn't think he would because he was so focused on the job. For once she cursed having a dedicated employee. But there was just something about him that she couldn't quite put her finger on. He was so different from every other man she met. He was a hard worker. Kind. Genuine. His good nature was infectious. Calena just couldn't be in a bad mood when he was around. He'd been nothing but polite and respectful to her when half of the other men she encountered would have attempted a hand up her skirt by now.

She was in her own state of happiness so she didn't notice Stephen's new energy. She attributed it to the break and thought he was just refreshed to return back to work. She paused at his desk, looking for an excuse to spend more time talking to him. It was interesting knowing that somebody was actually interested in what she had to say. She wanted to know everything there was to know about him, but she feared it would never happen. She returned his smile. "I'm doing fantastic." She rubbed his shoulder. "It really is all thanks to you. I shouldn't have overdone it last night. I can't tell you how much I appreciated it. I probably wouldn't have been able to make it through the day." The last part was a bit of an exaggeration. In her college years, she'd had worse hang-overs and had to take exams. It was bad, but not nearly as bad as it could have been. "I really owe you one."

He smiled as she touched his shoulder looking up at her smiling brightly. His hand reached up slowly resting on her side about half way between the bottom of her ribs and her waist. He hoped she would not feel like he was coming on to her he was just returning her gentle touch. He wished she was not his boss so he could flirt with her and have it be not inappropriate. Not that he thought for a moment he would have a chance with her but it would be nice to pretend.

"Well i must admit if i had to go to a party and kiss butt all night i would probably be painfully hung over the next day to. I will keep a special bottle of Tylenol right here just for you. " He chuckled pulling open the top drawer of his desk. He glanced over at the monitor as his computer chimed telling him he had an email. Need you to run this to Calena! He smiled seeing that but and minimizing the window instantly hoping she had not seen it. It gave him an excuse to go see her later and he liked that so very much. He only hoped she had not seen it not wanting her to think he was going to hide things from her.

Red crept into Calena's cheeks from Stephen's touch. Was she really blushing? She took a quick glance down at the floor before easing her hand away from his shoulder. She tried not to frown. Was he coming onto her or not? She was pretty sure she wanted him too. Out of all the times she welcomed advances, this was the time she did.

She sighed before she could catch herself. She didn't know that much about Stephen but she didn't think he was the kind of guy who would purposefully and openly flirt with his boss or even have the intention of being with her. Calena cursed her luck, but laughed softly at Stephen's offer. "Well the kissing ass is easier with a few drinks." She gave him a wink "You make sure you put my name on that bottle." She watched him check his email and decided that she had loitered for as long as she could. "I'll let you get back to work, Stephen. It was nice talking to you, dear."

He frowned when her hand came off his shoulder his eyes looking up at hers. She had lovely eyes and he could swear she was blushing. He could not put his finger on why though what in the world could make this girl blush in his office. Did she realize he was flirting with her and like it!? He laughed at her joke about the ass kissing and putting her name on it. "Should i put boss, Celena, or ... The girl with lovely eyes. " He bit the inside of his lip hard able to taste a bit of blood in his mouth as he tried to take it back.

You fucking moron! She is your boss don't flirt with her your going to get fired! His eyes showed the fear in his eyes praying she would not take offense. Then when she said she was going to leave he could just tell he was going to get fired. Until heard her call him dear did that mean she liked him to? "If i need a break i will come see you i promise...." He wanted to finish the sentence but could not force the words out.

Calena missed Stephen's frown when she diverted her eyes to the ground. Her eyes flickered back up to his. It was one of the first times she'd been complimented on her eyes. The comments were always lewd ones about other parts of her body. Her heart beat a bit faster in her chest as she tried to think of something to say back. "Just put 'Calena.' That'll be perfect." She hesitated a moment "Writing 'The girl with the lovely eyes' is just a little long don't you think? Not that there is anything wrong with things being a little long." She laughed nervously, her blush noticeable at this point.

"God, what am I saying?" she grumbled to herself. She cleared her throat trying to get past her moment of awkwardness. "Don't you dare make a promise you can't keep." She held out her hand with her pinky extended. "Pinky swear me that you'll visit." It was a juvenile gesture, but it was another way for her to touch him.

He smiled at her comment about the eyes taking a deep breath relaxing around her. He saw her blush and he smiled she did like him the only down side to that was her being his boss. He smiled and laughed as she demanded he pinky swear her that she he would come see her. "Who says it is a promise i can not keep. " He smiled reaching up lacing his pinky with hers giving it a gentle squeeze. His eyes latching onto hers staring deeply into them. "I think i need to go post something on the internet. " He smiled winking at her playfully.

He smiled not wanting to let go of her finger but knowing he should. Instead he just loosened his grip so that she could pull it away when ever she liked. "I think i will post it right next to the post that says your dating some male super model. " He chuckled softly at his attempt at figuring out if she was seeing anyone.

Calena leaned her face down a bit closer to his. "I say so" she said, teasing him. She squeezed his finger back, solidifying his promise to her. She tilted her head to the side, not understanding what Stephen meant until he winked. "Oh and just what are you going to post?" she asked with a grin. She laughed "A male super model? They must mean Cordan Blaine." She rolled her eyes. "If you wanna know a secret: he likes men," she offered. She shrugged "I'm not dating anyone at the moment." She realized their hands were still connected. She looked down at their hands then back up to him. "Besides, you can't post anything about being with me. That'll make your girlfriend jealous, wouldn't it?" She searched his eyes, hoping to find an answer before he spoke. Inside she was praying he didn't have a girlfriend. She figured that he probably did. As nice of a guy as he was. And whoever she was, she was damn lucky. Stephen seemed like he was a real sweetheart.

"You will just have to look yourself up and find out. " He chuckled softly as she leaned in his heart racing he knew she would not kiss him but he was hoping. As she told him she was single his face lit up a little bit at least she was single. "Really? Can i have his number? " He chuckled playfully winking at her hoping she would be able to tell he was joking. "I have always wanted to date someone rich and famous. "

"I would not post that anyways i am to private. I am not the type that goes around bragging to people about who im dating. " He smiled for a moment almost perpously avoiding the question not wanting to admit he was single. "No, i am not seeing anyone women tend to steer clear of guys who are hemorrhaging money. Besides if i did have a girlfriend she would not be pleased i could not even afford to take her out to dinner on the back porch right now. " He smiled shaking his head a bit not really beleaving he just bitched about finances to his RICH boss. "Besides i moved half way across the country for this job i don't really know anyone i have been in town a week.

Her head tilted back in laughter. She'd have to look it up herself? Not only were they flirting but he had just challenged her. She nodded her head. "Oh you bet I will." She realized how close she was to his face. Too close. She was his boss. At the office with people around. On his first day. She leaned down to poke his side playfully. "No you can not have his number! He's in a wonderful committed relationship with Sergio Fuentes so if you wanna date somebody rich and famous you'll have to settle on me." Her words were blunt but true. She was interested in Stephen. It was a weird and new feeling to her, but she couldn't deny it and she wanted him to know.

She let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding when he finally revealed that he was single. She nodded sympathetically. Woman could be like that. Calena would probably even fall into that category if she didn't already have the money to do everything for herself. She rubbed his shoulder. "Oh come on. If you had a girlfriend, she wouldn't care about that stuff. She'd know that you would give her the moon and the stars if you could." She waved her opposite hand dismissively. "Trust me, money isn't all it is cracked up to be." She was a little stunned by her own honesty. Calena loved having the money, the power, and the prestige. But it got tiring. Very few people were in your life for your best interest. They just wanted to weasel their way in to get some cash. It made it hard to trust people. She had a wide social circle but she didn't consider any of them her real friends. If she really sat down and thought about it, Calena was about as lonely as they come.

"Wow" she whistled softly. "Half way across the country, huh? That has to be rough. In a brand new place. Alone. Not knowing anybody..." She chewed on her bottom lip. "Do you need help with anything? Moving in and stuff? I'd be happy to help you with whatever it is you need." She paused. "Including a pay check advance if things are tight." She said it carefully not wanting to insult him.

He watched her intently trying to read her signs she was so close to him. She had blushed when he flirted with her and did not shy away from his touch. Allowing him to stare into her eyes for such long stretches of time. He was almost certain she liked him, she was still holding his hand after all. He listened to her offering him any aid she could and all seemed so cute. Then she did it a sign his friend in high school had taught him she bit her lip. Not like he had earlier not to silence herself but just a bit of a nervous reaction, she actually like him!

"Your right i guess your right. " He smiled looking into her eyes as his hand twisted a bit in hers. Slowly he went from hooking her little finger to having his fingers laced with hers their palms pressed together. "If you really want to help me out you could let me take you out to dinner tomorrow. " He took a deep breath trying to remain confidant knowing he needed to be so or she would say no. "It won't be much i can not afford the places your used to. But it wont be bad either i promise!" He smiled at her paying silently that she would say yes. If she said know he would be screwed he just asked out his boss.

Calena noticed that he was watching her intently. Was there something on her face? She touched her cheek slowly then took it back down again. She was just being paranoid. At the same time she took time to study his face. She noticed that if the light hit his eyes in just the right way then his brown eyes have flecks of what looked like gold. They made his eyes seem even more warm and bright and comforting than they already were.

"Of course I'm right," she replied with a grin. "I'm always right. You'd do well not to forget that," she told him playfully. She looked down at their hands briefly when she felt it move. She smiled a bit to herself at the new position. She squeezed his hand gently but at his request her eyes shot back to his. She opened her mouth to respond then closed it again. How could she say yes? She definitely wanted to go with him, but he'd just explained that he was having a difficult financial situation. She didn't want to make the situation worse by being taken out on a date. Then again, he knew what was going on better than she did. And he did offer after all.

She thought for a second then smiled. "How about I get us dinner and you take care of dessert? That's my favorite part of the meal anyway. I really want to go with you, Stephen, but you just said money was tight. I don't want to make things worse." She sighed, wishing they weren't in the office right now. She knew plenty of people had been watching the whole time. She could hear whispers behind her. She wanted to caress his cheek and hair. Tell him that she didn't want or need anything from him except his company.

"I can afford taking you out to one dinner. That is why i said we are not going somewhere super fancy. " He smiled looking up at her before taking a deep breath knowing he needed to get back to work. "I should get back to work or i wont get my work done today. And if i don't get my work done i will have to break my promise to my lovely boss. " He smiled giving her hand a light squeeze before slowly pulling his hand away from hers.

He did not have alot of work left and with 2 hours left he was fairly sure he could get it all done and go spend an half hour in her office. He smiled not taking his eyes off her even though he really needed to he was enjoying looking at her to much. Biting his lip lightly he did not want her to go but he knew he could never get anything done with her there.

She nodded, secretly hoping that there would actually be more than dinner. She slowed herself down, it wouldn't be smart to get ahead of herself. If they weren't going somewhere super fancy then where would they go? How would she dress? Would he drive? Should she just show up? What about after wards? Anxiety started to creep in and Calena had to remind herself to that they would decide those things later or they would just have to take things as they came.

Calena also took a deep breath. Why did it feel like leaving him was some kind of ending? "No way you're breaking your promise to me," she replied. She returned the squeeze and reluctantly edged her hand away. She backed up slowly "Well good work with everything then" she said giving him a small wave.

When she turned around, she say a dozen eyes staring at her. She stood up straighter and glared around the office. A few people had scampered back and were pretending to be working. "The rest of you assholes get back to work. Do not leave this building until you've finished every scrap of your work. I mean that," she said with as much authority as she could muster.

She walked back to her office and noticed a note from her father. They'd scheduled a meeting that had started 20 minutes ago. She groaned, she'd completely forgotten about it. Especially while she was with Stephen. Her secretary already had the files prepared so she grabbed them and headed for the elevator. Flipping through the reports to seem knowledgeable for when she finally showed up.

Stephens computer began chiming nearly constantly he rolled his eyes and turned off the volume starting to get to work. He groaned as he began getting dozens of emails non of it related in any way to work. He smiled and went back out onto the web posting in a place he knew she would find easily. As beautiful as she looks on line and in her photos, here eyes are 10 times more beautiful in person. Easily the most lovely eyes i ever seen in my entire life.

He smiled and then got back to work working as fast and as hard as he could trying to get her out every last bit of work done. It was not easy his heart was fluttering and making him a complete wreck. He smiled every time he closed his eyes he could see her and he loved it. He was beginning to get very nervous about their date. How in the hell was going to show her a good time taking her out. She was used to the finest of everything.

Calena cringed when she walked into the boardroom. Her father glared at her from the head of the long table. She apologized for being late and interrupting, rushing to her seat to the left of him. She still felt eyes on her even as the meeting resumed. She balled her fists slightly under the table. Their looks were about Stephen probably. Was nothing in her life private or secret? She stared back at them before turning her attention back to the meeting.

It dragged on for what seemed like forever to Calena. In truth it was only about an hour long which was unique for these type of board meetings. As everyone else filed out of the room, Calena began to follow when her father stopped her. "Cal, I gave you that job to keep you busy. I can't have you just fraternizing with the staff. This is a place of business. Not some party night club." Calena pretended she didn't know what he was talking about. "What do you mean? My job is to keep the employees happy. I'm doing that." Her father shot her a look but didn't respond. "Just be careful, Calena. You know how people are."

She swallowed the lump in her throat and nodded, going back to her office. She did know how people were. All too well. They would smile in her face and shower her with compliments to her face then say horrible things behind her back. She shook her head, sitting back in her chair. Stephen wasn't like that. He wasn't trying to take advantage of her. He was truly genuine. She could tell by the way he looked in her eyes. She bit her bottom lip. She was sure of it.

Stephen continued to work hard knowing that not responding to the emails was going to make his life harder. He took a deep breath smiling as he finished the last of his work right when he said he would. A half hour before 5 smiling as he printed out the email that he needed to take to her. Reading it as he fumbled with the keys to his desk. Once he had freed his main key and slipped it on his key ring he headed over to the printer.

He ignored the looks and stars as he gathered the papers he shook his head. Why could she not have emailed this to her it did not seem important to him. Just some random report that she needed to sign. He stopped at her secretary's desk this time smiling to the older woman. "Can you tell Celena that Stephen is here to see her?" He spoke softly a bit nervous about going to see her again. He stood there nervously fiddling with the papers that he had for her biting his lip nervously.

Calena felt anxious about her date with Stephen. She'd been hurt enough times from guys who were good pretenders. When her mind drifted back to him she remembered that she would google herself. The first hit was from the most recent post about her. As beautiful as she looks on line and in her photos, her eyes are 10 times more beautiful in person. Easily the most lovely eyes i ever seen in my entire life. She blushed after she read it. It was signed NewIntern. She knew it was Stephen even before she read the name attached to it. It made her heart leap.

She was so caught up in her thoughts that it startled her when her phone buzzed. "Ms. Morrison, a Stephen is here to see you." She panicked for a moment. Was he there to cancel their date? She pressed a button on her phone. "Send him in" she replied, noting the nervousness in her voice. She smoothed out a wrinkle on her skirt and suddenly wished she'd taken time to check her make up before he came in.

Back
Top Bottom