Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Weight of the Crown (JellyFish & Greeneyed23)

Greeneyed23

Pulsar
Fitan, the endless land, is ruled by the majestic city of Ethlberg, the mountain city. Built into the greatest mountain in the land, Ethl, the city spans nearly a hundred square miles. it is the oldest city in the human civilization, and hosts the elves, the dwarves, the orcs, the Amgi (magic users), and a dozen other races. They also hold the embassy for the Dragon Souled. The embassy has stood empty for a hundred centuries, and the last Dragon Souled refused to enter the place as she was too busy with the human King, who still ruled from the Throne of Claws.

The throne had been forged into the shape of a Dragon's paw with the four middle fingers pointing up to form the back, will the thumb and smallest finger formed the arms of the chair. The palm and wrist formed the seat and base. Taken from an actual dragon when humanity had finally taken their first stand in the Great Dragon War near the dawn of time.

Now the current ruler, King Patis, sat on his throne considering things. No one had seen a dragon since before his father's father's father had been born and he had been the first king of Ethlberg to see a Dragon Souled, as his people called them in polite society, in nearly as long. And all she had wanted was a cart of books that his family had been guarding for decades.

The problem now was supposedly a new Dragon Souled was back. They were impossible to miss. Little Dragons, as they called themselves, were all, like their scaled family, ancient, powerful, and possessed an otherworldly air that even the elves could not compete with. Each Little Dragon was far beyond superhuman and possessed their own kind of magic. their eyes were the biggest part. they were just wrong. they resembled cat eyes as their pupil's went in a slit from top to bottom but they had three sets of eyelids that could blink independently, just as they could control their eyes independently.

They all looked human, or elf, or orcish, or whatever race they had come from, but the eyes, the manner, and especially the clothing marked them. They all wore thick black robes that covered them from the neck down and often wore hoods even though they never cut their hair which tended to hanging long braids down their back.

There had not been a new Dragon Souled since the end of the war, or so all the races claimed. The Dragons and their smaller brethren had kept themselves apart, refusing to help or give aid of any sort to any one in the world around them until they had been forced. The ruins of the last time the Dragons, both kind, had ridden forth still burned. Rothsil had been powerful port city, far to the east on Jaer Lake, that had been claimed by a mad cult that had threatened to destroy the whole land. it had been when they had brazenly attacked and killed a hatchling, sacrificing him to their 'god' that the Dragons had broken silence. A thunder of dragons so thick they darkened the skies had swept down upon the city carrying hundreds of Souled. The city had been reduced to all but ash, the stone and the rest of the city having ignited in the dragons rage, which had also induced the magic that had turned the city into an eternal inferno.

Patis looked at the eldest of his twelve children, his daughter Agatha while she rocked her son Kurtis. He prayed to the Seven Gods that if the Souled was indeed walking the endless land, that it was a peaceful mission. He trembled at the thought of it.

Miles below at the base of the city, several miles, gates, and walls away from the entrance to Ethl Castle, built into the mountain itself, at the newest gate stood a robed figure. it was rather late at night and no one was supposed to be allowed to enter the city at this time but the guards were scared.

They were sure it was a Souled, or as they called them, Scaleheads, and they did dare send him away, but they also did not dare take initiative and let him in. While they argued and wondered, the man before the gate simply waited his hands clasped before hidden by his long sleeves, his thick hood hiding his face, though his hair had been pushed through a slit in the back hanging heavily in a massive braid. Despite the thickness of the robes his body bulged with power, and he seemed able to stand absolutely still. this was another queer part of the dragons. Like their smaller cousins a dragon could hold as still as stone while waiting for prey or simply at will. This trait had been passed onto the souled and was a big part of what made them so alien to the other races.

A captain of the guard arrived two hours after being sent for and was just starting to bawl out his troops when they pointed at the figure who had not moved in all that time.

Gulping he barked an order. Actually he squeaked it out but still the gates swung open and the greeter called out. "Welcome to Ethlberg."

The figure nodded and slowly walked inside. Ignoring the guards and everyone about he walked on, slowly but steadily, headed straight for the castle. The Embassy was in a secondary peak of the castle and only a Souled could open the door so there was no way to be sure if he was heading there but everyone knew he was headed for the castle. the streets quickly went silent and empty as he marched along silently toward the center of the city.

Chilled night air entered the open window, the glowing light of the city wavering below her. A breathless sigh escaped parted lips, as she leaned against the dull colored wall. Her nurse maid was ushering her to move away from her seated place where she had comfortably made her home. "Mi'Lady, please. I beg that you come and get ready for bed. If you stay in the cold to long I fear you'll catch a dreadful illness by morning."

Aretha snorted, chuckling at the old woman's words. She worried to much in the princess's behalf, always scolding her when she had gotten out of hand. But that was all Aretha knew, being the most troublesome of her sibling. The girl thrived off of the attention of being noticed by passing parties and onlookers. She enjoyed the inquisitive stares of her equals. But that was once upon a time, long ago when she was the youngest. Now she had six smaller siblings that gathered such attention. And the other five, the oldest, played no heed to the needs of their brothers and sisters. But who would judge them? They were growing up, if not grown already. Families were being made and relations and favoritism being left behind to gather dust in castle halls.

Aretha finally grew tired of her position. She had staysd down on the large windowsill for far too long. She stood, the flowing robes of her gown draping across the floor as she moved to close the multicolored stained glass. Indigo cushions fell to the ground as she dragged herself lazily away. A delicate hands, simple and plain, unlike her sisters who went to rest each night, hands decorated in gold and red rubies, reached out to grasp the silver handles. But she paused, brushing her fingers against the engraven images of couragious knights and rose covered gardens tangled in untold mystery in the cold glass.

"I wish for just but a moment, my life was different...."

She closed the barriers which blocked the whispering winds from entering her room. She immediately regretted locking herself away. The chambers felt stuffy, perfumes of delicate spices and florals filling the air making her believe she would suffocate that very night due to the offending scents. "Ellen, perhaps we can air out the room tomorrow. I don't think I will be able to stand the perfumes another night."

The old maid rolled her eyes, very unlike her usual ways of simply telling the royal it wouldn't be good for her health. "Aretha, I suggest you go to bed. I'm sure we can talk about this later. It's late and you deprive yourself from rest." Aretha quirked her head, golden brown hair falling from it's loose braid. She searched the woman's face seeing the exhaustion of late spent nights tending to all the princesses needs. She was the last of the girls to be taken care off.

"Ellen, you deserve your sleep. Go. I can dress myself without any help."
"But Mi-.."
"I said go. Don't argue. You need to sleep or you might pass out on the very floor your stand. The what would I do with you?"

Aretha smiled softly, shooing the fumbling woman who made weak protests. But she had somehow managed to get the maid to walk to her own rooms. With a breath of relief, she turned to the nightgown choosen for her that night. A satin dress that pooled to her feet and a airy robe to be wrapped around her shoulders. She stared at the garment before actually undressing herself. She had stumbled a bit, uncertain of what to do at first. So yes, she lied. She had no clue how to tend to her own needs. She was used to being waited upon and simple habits done by others were foreign to her. She managed though.

She pulled on her slippers and waited a moment. Listening. She listened for the sounds of footsteps or anything that could signal a guard passing down her hallways. She was happily greeted by silence. With that, she escaped from her room and down the corridors. If caught she would surely be scolded for her indecency and shameless behavior. But who would notice a girl, quiet as a mouse escape to the back gardens of the castle?

The silence that came with the Souled served duel purposes. it forced everyone into their homes, the poor and needy even fleeing into shelters, churches, and if they could homes. Everyone watched him walk through the it windows, scared and worried. Were the dragons coming? Was this a declaration of war? What was going on?

All of these questions and more were racing along with the news of the Souled's arrival. They were jumping from mouth to mouth fast light. While the souled was still miles from the castle the news reached the castle. There were a number of rules for the receptions of diplomats. Especially in the case of a Souled.

While the Little Dragon marched along a young page began to ring the Dragon bell. This was the required protocol on the confirmed arrival of any of the Dragons. This bell shook the halls of the entire castle waking everyone but this was also protocol. The sound was too distinct, too unknown, too alien to be anything but what it was and the Royal family scrambled to get dressed. they had to greet their visitor.

Ellen woke with a yelping start and rushed with all haste summoning her fellows maids then went to wake and dress her princess only to find that she was not in her room. panicking she sent the maids in all directions to find her while she went to speak with the king.

The Souled, heard the bell but he walked on slowly as ever. he was not to be rushed. And he had his own reasons for upsetting them like this.

King Patis could not believe it. he was hearing the bell again. He hated that sound. it sounded like the beckoning of death itself. he sent messages that the guards should move out and open all gates, as well as presenting honor guards. he decided to let the people sleep if they wished. It would be dawn by the time the Souled arrived but he himself and his family had no choice. they had to be presentable, had to have everything prepared. Especially the Jade Dragon. this was a throne carved out of a massive block jade into the form of a massive snakelike dragon that balanced somehow on on just the tip of it's tail. He had that carefully dusted then polished then brought it into the throne room to sit in the exact center of the black marble room.

he rather hated this room. His throne was surprisingly comfortable and even the massive jaws of the Dragon who had supplied his throne, spread wide behind him the upper jaw jutting over his head, making it look both as if he had somehow killed this dragon by his mere presence and at the same time as if it was eating him. the lower jaw was dug into the floor beneath his throne the fangs sprouting around his chair and down the steps ringing the approach to his dais with fangs. they had been carefully smoothed but they still looked quite dangerous. but though this position worried him it was traditional. He hated that his throne room was always so dark. even after using the mirror system to like it up there were always shadows. There were lamps, torches, and fires everywhere and this served to also make the room muggy and eternally hot.

So he sat on his throne sweating and waiting. He did not dare even think anything rude or cruel about the Souled but he so wished he, or she would hurry. No one truly knew yet, they simply assumed because of his size.

For some reason that reminded him of the Dragon Eyes. There were a number of things about them that were notable but just now he was thinking of the pair, taken from the very skull above his head, that served as the guardians to the Dragon Embassy. They were massive things, and had belonged to an ancient dragon even when she had been killed. Her eyes had not aged, or deteriorated in anyway and still moved to look at any approaching creature and had driven many a would be thief or spy mad, and had killed many more, and until the door had been lined the tales of the dead bugs, bats, rats and occasionally a beloved pet before the door were still told. He himself had seen them from a distance but had never approached and had built the lined door after his younger brother, attempting a coup, had tried to break into the Embassy only to be driven entirely insane and throwing himself out of a window to fall into the city below.

When Ellen told him of Aretha's vanishing he sighed looking over at his wife. Queen Nila was nearing her sixth decade but was still a stunning beauty. Her hair had lightened but was still a gold like the metal itself, and her smile still warmed the hearts of her husband and everyone else who knew her. She noted his grim demeanor and smiled, her happy smile lines vanishing. He sighed and smiled back. She was his rock. There was no queen's throne, though she had her own heavy crown, because the eldest of the ruling family, male or female, was meant to rule alone and Nila accepted this.

She had been sitting in her place, a beautiful and very regal chair at her husband's right hand just off the dais, when Ellen entered. now she sighed as well. "Aretha?"

At her husband's nod she waved everyone out of her way and went toward the gardens. Nila had her middle child's looks. The same hair, the same hands, and nearly the same face. She also, like Aretha, wore few rings, though she did wear her wedding ring on the left ring finger, and her own family's crest ring on the same finger of her right hand. These were rather simple but still beautiful and would be buried with her at her request.

She walked along silently wondering why Aretha had vanished tonight of all nights. Then again she likely didn't know. They themselves had just found out. She reached the gardens and summoned the attendants to find her daughter while she went to look as well. "Aretha darling?" She was struck by something then looked back. She could only just hear the bell here. Interesting.

She called a bit louder. "Aretha my love! the dragon bell is ringing! We need you!"

Aretha had been laying in a soft bed of mossy plants, staring into the stary sky. She traced the twinkling lights of the stars while picking at the soft petals of a middlemist camellia. The bright pink hues of the flower that darkened to a deep scarlet reminded her of a sunset evening. Heavy lidded, she felt herself about to sink into sleep when she heard her mother's voice call out to her. At first she thought herself dreaming, but the voice only go louder.

She sat up, looking around the garden. Spotting the brightly decorated gown of the Queen, she flinched hesitantly looking to her own clothing. Not only had she come outside in her sleeping robes but she found sticks and leaves that clung to her stubbornly. She got up, hurriedly brushing away whatever she could and dashed over to where her mother stood. "H-hello, mother. Beautiful evening isn't it?"

The queen gasped in shock, a hand flying to her opened mouth. "Aretha! What on earth have you done to yourself?" Frantically, Nila tried to pick the pieces of leaves from her daughter's hair. "To go off and do this to yourself! And we have a guest approaching!" The queen shook her head, crinkles forming on her brow. A sign that she was displeased. Aretha hung her head, looking to the ground where her mother's turquoise dress flowed. "I apologize. I simply wanted some fresh air but I was too brazen in my ideas."

"My darling child, you make me worry so..." Nila briskly turned away from the girl, heading to the opened gates of the garden's door. The lights of the castle caused Aretha to become dizzy, since she accustomed herself to the blackened sky. She held her head for a moment, her hand scratching against the sharp twigs. Then it struck her. "What guest?"

Nila continued to move, the servants skittering about like frightened children as they prepared the palace. "Did you not hear the bell? It still chimes. A Souled has arrived and is now wondering the kingdom. Everyone is getting ready to greet our guest while you are out stargazing."

Aretha stifled a cry of protest but held her tounge. Her mother was right, and she was in the wrong. Instead she focused her attention on the bells. They were indeed chiming, why hadn't she taken notice before? They sung a strange melody, a choir of thousands of small bells, breezing through the air. But she heard a darker ring interrupted the harmony. It banged as if a drum keeping a steady beat. She shivered, somehow the tune was no longer beautiful but a forewarning of the future with it's moody lullaby. "A Souled? Why would one come here? Do you know why the stranger comes now? Are the dragons declaring war upon us?"

Her mother flicked her hand, softly murmuring. "I don't know why, dear one. For all we now it's a hoax, but we must take caution." A servant opened the door of Aretha's bed chambers allowing the two women to enter. But Nila grasped Aretha's hand, squeezing tightly. "Aretha, I beg of you. Don't do anything foolish and stay away from the Souled. You have been taught to keep away from such things and people. You've had lessons in simply keeping to yourself and making no eye contact. Don't allow yourself to forget, my little wanderer." Nila cupped her daughter's head placing a kiss in her debris filled hair and quickly took leave.

Aretha stood in the door of her room, confused and fearful. Her mother had spoken her worries and now they imprinted horrid ideas in her mind. But she wasn't able to dwell on those thoughts as Ellen took her and swung her around. "Child! First you trick me to going to sleep, then you disappear, and when the Dragon Bell rings you don't even have the sense to come running! Of all ignorant things to do..." The old woman sat Aretha down in a chair, muttering to herself of the foolishness of girls. Aretha paid no mind as she looked into the mirror in front of her. Her reflection showed a wild child, a girl with no upbringing, a girl with no polital standing. Yes, she looked much like her mother but they had one very simple but noticable difference. Nila had the brightestblue eyes she had ever seen on a woman while she had simple brown orbs. She frowned before answering her maid. "I never heard the bell and I don't understand why I must care. The Souled has no interest in the King's children just the King himself."

She clenched her eyes when a hard object made contact with her head. She glowered at Ellen the weapon of her choice in hand. A wooden brush. "Excuse my abuse, mi'lady but I think your common sense needed to be knocked back into place." With that, Ellen said no more simply brushed through the tangled strands of waved hair. Aretha clenched her teeth, her head being yanked back more than once and she thought her head would be ripped off at any second. Ellen ignored Aretha's whimpers and pulled out the plants.

Soon enough Aretha was dressed in a ivory green dress. Made from taffeta, the dress behaved in a way quite similar to silk, in it's soft, luxurious glow that shimmered slightly in the light. The bodice and front of the skirt featured decorative, floral-patterned embroidery that is lined by black-frilled trim. With wide, full-length sleeves that were designed to hang off the wrists, the sleeves also had black-frilled trim around the forearm, while the interior of the sleeve echoed the floral pattern displayed on the front of the dress. Aretha spun while Ellen nodded, admiring her work.

Suddenly a servant burst through the doors and pulled Aretha out without warning. "Mi'lady! You must hurry, we have no time to lose!" And so he pushed her down the lite halls, speaking in paniced words. Halfway to where her family waited, she shoved the servant off unable to stand his insufferable ramblings. "I can manage myself, thank you." Stiffly, she walked to the closed court room. She remembered that it was rarely ever used much less thought about by the royal family. It was distanced away from the main court, the dark and morbid themes sure to scare off any sane person. Sucking in a breath, she pulled open the door only a crack to allow herself to slip inside. She saw her father already sitting down in his throne and her mother by his side. But much to her regret, all of her siblings had managed to be there, six lined on the bottom steps of the throne below their father and five below their mother. With an empty spot waiting just for her. She rushed over to her assianged place, closest to where the queen sat and Aretha quietly stepped into place. With hands clasped, she cursed herself for taking her time.

The search and getting Aretha ready had taken far too long for the poor girl because just as she reached her placed the mirror sprung to life illuminating the room, indicating that both the sun had risen and with the falling silent of the bells that the Souled had arrived. This was confirmed when the doors to the throne room were flung open.

The Souled continued to walk slowly, moving toward the Jade Dragon. The court announcer tried to speak to him but was silenced somehow. The Dragon moved to the chair made in the image of one of his many cousins and stepped in front of it and finally stopped walking. he stood still as stone for a moment his hood still covering his whole head, his hands hidden by his long sleeves. The room was entirely silent and for the moment seemed just as still as he. Then he pulled his arms away from each other revealing his large and powerful dark skinned hands.

He raised them toward his head and pushed his hood back. This revealed a face with skin dark as knight and with no way of telling the age, but a sense of alien nobility that could only come from a Dragon. His eyes were closed for the moment as his hood fell back onto the heavy braided dreadlocks that seemed to pour out of his head. He raised his head having left it bowed and after taking a long breath opened his eyes making everyone in the throne flinch. They were a deep, but bright, poisonous green. Little Dragon eyes held the same danger of those of their larger brethren. Fortunately after the rather chilling effect of his bare eyes he shaded them with his first eyelid a clear one that served as some sort of magical guard for all but the very weakest minds. Still it was not wise to look too closely.

He stood waiting for something until Patis remembered himself. "Welcome friend of the Dragons...how may we give aid?"

The Dragon smiled warmly. He spoke with a deep warm voice but with a powerful gravely growl to it. "My Lord King Patis. All the court of Ethlberg. I thank you for your greeting. We have much to discuss."

He sat upon the Jade Dragon settling in comfortably. After a long moment he spoke again. "The tides have brought forth a new threat to the safety of all mortal races. We dragons have dealt with them before and they do not threaten us. But out of gratitude for your kindness I have been sent to inform and aid you. The Rezda have emerged yet again."

No one knew who or what he was talking about but he seemed unconcerned. "They are a race of beings from the deepest and darkest abysses of the waters. They have come to conquer your land because they have destroyed their own. They are vast in numbers, have might warriors and arms, and their will to destroy all that oppose them is bested only by we Dragons. My name is Hama Tritail. I have come."

With that he fell silent as without warning the court fell into a chaos of shouts and accusations. No one wanted to believe him, and no one had heard of the Rezda. He let this continue without concern as he studied the people in the hall. Especially the royal family. His eyes made the younger one's cry, the adult tremble, and made Nila and Patis both clench the arms of their chairs nervously. Through everything he had kept that same rather odd little smile.

Finally Patis was able to decide on a course of action. He looked at his chamberlain who pounded the floor with his staff sending a booming note through the room before shouting above everyone. "SILENCE!!!"

Obedience was immediate. Patis sighed looking at Hama. "My friend Dragon i do not in any way doubt your word but you understand we must verify. We know nothing of these creatures."

Hama nodded. "But of course. it is the way of mortals."

Patis let that go. "Now-"

Hama cut him off. "Are the representatives of all the other mortal races here?"

Patis was caught short by that but it was a good question. he looked to his chamberlain who surveyed the room. After a moment he blinked. "Nay my lord. the delegates from both Elves nations, The orc nation, the dwarves, and the Amgi are not here."

"Send for them at once!"

"Yes my King."

Like the Dragon's the other nations and races, including the hundreds of smaller races, all had embassies within Ethlberg itself. In less than ten minutes processions of Elves, both Dark and Light, entered, along with the Orcs, the dwarves, and several delegates for the other lands. Last came the Amgi. They all apologized profusely to the King and to the Souled but they explained they had been delayed by certain messages from their prospective capitols. There some new threat emerging and everyone was very alarmed. In fact they had been about to speak to the King on the matter.

After hearing these identical explanations from all of them Patis turned to Hama. "The Rezda did you say?"

The Dragons were the only race that history and they themselves had proven to be truly immortal having been present at the very forming of the endless land according to their memories and magics, and their own histories. But the Elves, both races, and the Amgi, the beings of nearly pure magic, were at least almost as ancient as the Dragons. of course they were not as hardy as the Dragons and did not have the same seemingly infinitely long lives but they were the closest of the lot. The dwarves and orcs were just a few years, by their tellings, younger than the Dragons as well but no one was sure.

At the mention of the Rezda however all five delegates looked at each other in horror.

Hama noted this and smiled. "Ahh so you do remember. how lovely....my lady Amgi...would you be so kind?"

The lady in question, a humanoid female made entirely of sapphire sparkling with lightning within named Jesa Yra, jumped but nodded. "I would be honored Friend Dragon...but I have not the memory..."

Hama waved a hand. "I do."

She gulped but nodded moving to stand beside him. She carefully removed her gloves revealing her sapphire hands, her flawless face twisted with worry. Hama held out his hand and she took it in both of her's.

Instantly the throne room vanished. They were now on the sands of the Vast Desert that covered the entire western edge of the land. Hama spoke calmly. "While we Dragons were still eating you and your fellows in the Great War, and you were killing us, there was a man. Born in a small village here in the Vast desert." While he spoke a group of travelers reached and oasis and settled there soon having built a rather worn but sturdy little village. As they watched a very handsome and powerfully built man was seen hauling water from the oasis to the houses providing water for each family. "his name was Tzechtl Rha. A fine kind man who loved and lead his people well."

The man is indeed popular and is very kind, playing with children, bandaging their hurts, helping his neighbors with anything they ask, and even delivering babies, and serving as the nightwatchmen and driving off wolves, bandits and other threats without complaint.

"One day, while delivering water, Tzechtl Rha noticed something in the distance."

The man had just poured a large serving of water into a very old woman's reservoir when he saw a large dust cloud racing toward the village. He only just had time to grab the old woman and cover her with his body with the dust cloud, actually a small but incredibly powerful sandstorm struck his village. Everyone was forced into cover, but to his horror Tzechtl Rha's beloved wife and children were caught in the storm and his youngest daughter was ripped apart by the high speeds of the sand. her screams had not yet faded when the storm suddenly softened only for the village to be set upon by a group of creatures no one could recognize, their weapons making many buildings explode and making the old woman's house collapse upon them both killing her and trapping Tzeechtl Rha.

Hama spoke again. "Behold the last confirmed sighting of a tribe of Tioa." The delegates all spit upon the floor in their rage and disgust. the Tioa had been a race of murderous thieves unable to do anything for themselves they had killed to steal what they needed and wanted and despite not being seen in millenia they were still despised for their evil ways.

The Tioa tore the village apart slaughtering and eating men, women, and children as they went, as well as raping those that pleased them, age and sex not making a difference. Tzechtl Rha, trapped under the old woman's fallen house was forced to watch as his wife and children were raped, then tortured to death.

finally when the Tioa noticed him, having killed everyone else, they laughed and made great sport of him torturing him with their mockery and their weapons but leaving him trapped. they then befouled the village with their waste, including on him and the corpses of his family, then had set the village to burn and left. With nothing. they had no come for water, nor any riches as the village had none. merely for the delight in killing.

"Tzechtl Rha was near death. But somehow all of these actions triggered something within him."

the man shifted and with a enraged roared pulled free of the rubble destroying his body in the process but somehow he managed to crawl on. there was no sign of his family or anyone else, the flames having eaten their remains away. Tzechtl Rha himself had been engulfed in the flames and was still burning as he crawled screaming in his mad rage. Something of his sanity remained however as he crawled to the oasis and into it. perhaps he hoped to drown. it was unclear. But at least the flames were extinguished.

"Tzechtl Rha died in that water. But someone or something took pity on him. Perhaps one of the Old Gods? i know not. But no matter."

Tzechtl Rha had indeed stopped moving. he hung in the water lifeless and dead for days. But then his skin began to regrow. His face return to his normal state. but there were alterations. He now had gills. His eyes were wider, his body more powerful but yet more compact. And his teeth became jagged. Finally when his skin had turned a not unpleasant shade of blue he awoke taking in a lungful of water. in his panic he burst out of the water and gasped surprised to find he could breath normally as well. He looked at the sand covered remains of his village and snarled. he spoke in a tongue filled with hate but no discernible words.

Hama spoke softly. "The first words of a Rezda. He said 'Blood shall quench my hate."

The story then followed Tzechtl Rha's naked trek through the Vast Desert. he found the tribe of Tioa and by himself and with only his bare hands slaughtered them mercilessly. His strength was far beyond even that of theirs combined, he was impervious to their magics, and their weapons did not harm him. When he found the men that had raped his wife and children he ate them. let them scream as he took weeks to devour them bit by bit. And he had his revenge. but he found he longed for more.

"So it was that Tzechtl Rha became the first true Rezda. Driven by hate of life and a need for blood he began to hunt."

they watched as at first he just ate more people. but then eh came across someone like him. angry and seeking vengeance. Tzechtl Rha took the man into a nearby well and when they emerged there were two Rezda. This continued until soon there were a dozen. Then a hundred. Then a thousand. Then a hundred thousand. Before long there were millions of them. they swarmed the vast Desert cleansing the land of the Tioa and thus seeming a friend to the other races. But when you kill all of your prey one must survive.

"And so having destroyed one rather minor threat, Tzechtl rha and his Rezda became a far more dangerous one."

The Rezda broke free of the vast Desert and swarmed across the land, slaughtering mercilessly and swelling their number by the millions. The only race immune to their magic, and eventually the venom they formed to change their victims, was the Dragons. hama showed how the Rezda's appearance had been the true reason for the quickly arranged peace between the races and why the mortal races built such strong cities with so many walls, with magic imbued upon them everywhere.

Hama himself appeared fighting the Rezda as alone the entire race of Dragons, thousands upon thousands of them fought the Rezda forcing them back across the desert. The Dragon's flames could utterly destroy their bodies and the Little dragons were just as strong as their opponents but the Rezda had numbers. So the Dragons used their magic, their brutality, and most of of their incredible gift for destruction to force the Rezda back.

They destroyed outposts, evaporated water sources, enveloped their foes in flames sucking up all the oxygen drowning them in their own blood, and bit by bit all but annihilated the Rezda. Tzechtl rha, king and First of the Rezda led his remaining thousands on a flight across the desert pursued by the dragons who snapped up their stragglers harried them burned them and clawed them, tearing their bodies apart. Finally the reached the edge of the vast Desert itself revealing a even more vast body of water.

"We call it the Tua Tir Kani. The water of death."

On the beach the Rezda fought a final stand but they could not withstand the fury of the Dragons. Again Hama himself was seen fighting with Tzechtl Rha himself tearing at his mind with his magic learning all of this. But Hama was forced to release his foe unkilled to save the life of his nest mate, a huge golden dragon with red eyes that was being torn apart by the Rezda's fangs. Tzechtl Rha and his survivors fled into the sea.

The image went black while Hama spoke. "in that time we have investigated every body of water carefully for signs of the Rezda. We found none. they hid from us well. Until five millenia ago. They emerged from a mountain lake far to the north."

The image showed a massive castle being destroyed in a titanic battle between Dragons, Rezda, and creatures of the deep that resembled both the dragons and the Rezda.

"they have used their powers to corrupt the flesh of out water cousins. We them now the Rezdi. since they emerged our other water cousins have banded together and joined us serving as our sea arm in this battle. We have fought them in secret for generations. but we have never been able to find their capitol, nor had we seen any sign of Tzechtl Rha but we knew he still lived. his people worship him as a god. they are now numbering in the billions. And they are marching upon this land. We have seen it."

The image did indeed show a mass of Rezda as to be innumerable emerging for the sea, along with millions of Rezdi of various sizes, some even flying above the massive army. At their head floated a massive Rezdi and on his nose stood the very recognizable Tzechtl Rha. He and his forces now wore scale armor and bore tridents and spears, as well as curved short blades. Male, female, and even children it did not matter. tehy all marched mindlessly after their god-king.

Hama spoke. "he has taken his faithful and given them purpose and training. this wave of death will wash over the land before the new year. " That was six months away. "We are marshaling out forces and will join battle with them before them. but we will not do it alone. I have come to alert you. to prepare you. and when the time comes join you in battle against the most deadly foe m our world has known."

The image broke and Jesa Yra backed away from Hama in terror. She was weeping ruby tears and only just managed to covered her face before a desperate sob broke from her lips.

Hama watched everyone with that same smile. "What say you?"

Patis looked at Nila and his family then at the delegates.He then stood. "ASSEMBLE THE ARMY!!!"

While this order was obeyed and the delegates left to make their own arrangements. Hama stood the Jade Dragon rising up to follow him. He nodded to the King. "i go to rest." he then turned toward the door leading to his embassy, which took him right by Nila's side. he stopped there and bowed kissing her hand. "You are even lovelier than i had heard Your majesty." He started forward then saw Aretha. he ignored the others as he looked into her brown eyes and let her see it as he blinked for the first time since he had arrived then as all three of his eyelids opened to her he smiled revealing seemingly normal human teeth. His eyes were ancient beyond ancient and held knowledge that she could not imagine. But he did not unleash it upon her. Did no drive her mad nor kill her. he simply smiled. "My my my... such an interesting girl. You and i shall have to talk later Princess Aretha. Yes. We have much to discuss."

He took her hand and kissed it, his lips warm and soft but filled with a burning, hungry, power that she could feel. before she could react he had walked past her through the door followed by the jade Dragon. he left the door open as he walked right up to the embassy doors which swung open for him and the chair then slammed shut making the further door slam as well.

Nila had watched him go as well and only now sat back with a weary sigh. "My gods...no wonder he woke us up...I doubt I'll ever sleep again after seeing all of that." The children amongst them had been spared the images somehow but they sensed the adult's fear, though their tiny bodies were also dragging them off to dreamland. Nila noted this. "take the children to bed. let them rest. Aretha...you five? i want you back here within the hour. You may go wash and eat but return immediately."

Patis was already consulting with his generals. the very first thing was to gather the army and begin training. this would begin this very day. Secondly they would have to be fed, clothed, and armed. this would require an immense amount of coin. fortunately the treasuries were full to bursting. Still everyone was very nervous. Patis managed a moment and flopped into his throne clutching his shoulders his hands crossed under his chin as he glared at a spot on the floor murmuring to himself. His family could hear him saying. "What do we do?" Over and over.

At the moment no one had any idea.

Aretha stood silently watching her hand, studying it in confusion. After what she had seen from the brutal and crude images, she found it difficult to rely on her mind to place the pieces together. Somehow she was in a blur of thought and fear. Rezda, they seemed to be the spawns of ghastly minded monstrosities. Never had she imagined such atrocities could occur, nor had she tried to think of them. However a form of pity enveloped her heart. People who thrived off of blood and revenge. Her shudder was visible and she cringed. “Such a sorrowful life….”

A tug on her dress brought her from her ponderings. Glancing down she saw that a young prince was rubbing his eye with a single hand and yawning loudly. “Aretha, I wanna go to bed”, Arkley murmured. Picking up the small child, she rubbed soothing circles on his back while he laid his head on her breast. “I know, I know. I’m sorry you have to be kept waiting” Glancing over her shoulder, she called for the slumbersome five others.

Three boys and two girls laid on the marble steps curled up with one another already passed out.
Walking to where they slept, she shook the side of Benedict, the leader of the small group. His light blonde hair, fell in front of his face covering blinking eyes. “Come on, you all need to get to bed.” She nudged all the children to their feet, some stumbling and being carried on the back’s of their stronger siblings. Aretha walked to the elder brothers, as they busily discussed the events that had just occurred.
“Siddel! Ducan! Help me, I can’t carry all of them and they might just topple over in the halls.” Ducan turned sternly to his sister, a grimace on his features. “Can’t you see that we are speaking, Aretha? There are important details that must be reviewed! we were just told war is upon us and you want us to go be the maids!”

Aretha rolled her eyes, placing a hand on her hip. “I’m sure father will ask you for your input later. At this moment, I don’t plan on carrying them all on my back. Be responsible and take them.” She forced the two girls to Ducan, passing an icy glare his way. With an irritated sigh, he heaved the girls in his arms and jogged off to put them to bed. Benedict, now lifted from a heavy burden of carrying his siblings wandered over to Siddel. “Aretha, you can’t expect me to carry him do you? He’s nearly twelve and much too big.” Siddel looked to Aretha with a pleading tone, obviously not wanting to lift a finger. “Carry. Him. Now. Or I swear mother will have your head if you make him fall and hurt himself.” Siddel having more respect for his mother, lifted Benedict up. The boy squirmed in his arms unable to find a comfortable position on his brother's hard chest. Siddel gave Aretha a dirty eye and and grumbled about the moronic behavior of women leaving her to care for the last two.

She pushed Arkley up, finding she was growing tired of the weight of the six year old. She glanced around to find her sister’s to take the last one but realized they had abandoned her. Scowling, she gritted her teeth in frustration. “Chilton, let’s go.” She waved for Arkley’s twin to follow her, letting go of her anger and allowing a softer tune to arise. Unlike Arkley he had a mix of dirt blonde hair while Arkley was blessed with the hair of herself and her mother. The boy shuffled over to her, sniffing in a disappointed state. “Why does Arkley get to be picked up? I wanna be picked up.” He reached his hands up for Aretha to comply with his demands, but she was already too occupied with the child in her arms. “Chilton, I-I can’t. Arkley is already asleep. Tell you what, I’ll take you out to the stables later if you walk with me.”

The boy rolled the thought about, before finally nodding in agreement. So instead he grasped the back of her skirt to guide him. She walked away from the worried individuals in the courtroom, sympathy crawling over her for the king. He was already a wreck when he head of the Souled coming and she was sure this news only put him in a more difficult situation. A puff of breath blew from her and she trudged on with the children to their rooms. The servants looked at the her, some even approaching her to take the boys. She only rejected the offers, telling them she’ll put them to sleep herself.

After taking a long journey through a series of halls and stairs, she finally managed to get to the chambers. Leaning against the heavy wooden doors, she pushed them open. Once stepping into the room, she realized how bright the sunrise was. Morning light shone through room, waking Arkley from his slumber. He blinked sleep from his eyes, staring dumbly at the uncovered window. The sun’s rays seemed to dance in the sky, filled with hues of red and orange, tinted of bright pinks.

Gently placing the boy onto his bed, she rushed to the window drawing the navy blue curtains into a close. Now in a dark filled space, she touched the heads of her two brothers. Chilton had decided to climb into his brother’s bed and now the two laid in a half hazard mess of sheets various toys. Brushing the scattered objects aside, they clattered to the floor. Neither child woke. Lifting them to lay down on the pillows, she breathed for them to sleep well. And closed the door behind her. And left the room, closing it shut.

Aretha placed a hand over her eyes, exhaustion now settling in her bones. “How does mother even expect me to stay awake today, is what I would like to know”, she grumbled as she veered into a wall. Sliding against it for a pillar of support, she rounded the corner bumping into a servant. The girl caught the princess, gasping as Aretha slumped downward. “Princess Aretha! Are you ill? Should I call for a guard?” The girl looked around desperately for someone to help her and was about to cause a ruckus when Aretha looked up and shushed the girl with her palm. “Oh hush, I simply stumbled.” She begrudgingly stood to her feet, trying to maintain a regal stance. “Girl, I might need some assistance to my room. I feel as if I’m walking blind.” The servant nervous wrapped her arm around Aretha’s waist and escorted the sleepyheaded girl to her quarters. When Aretha she had dismissed the servant, she was kneeling on the ground next to her bed as if praying.

She was nearly about to fall to sleep, when Ellen so conveniently appeared. “Mi’Lady! You can’t rest now! You need to get ready to go back to the Queen! She has just requested that her older children to make an appearance before her.” Dragging Aretha up, she began to undress the princess. She slouched being poked and prodded by the women, her head falling back as she moaned. She would have snapped at the nurse angrily, but the comforts of a darkened sleep seemed so tempting at the moment and all energy was gone in the fickle breeze. “Ellen..I just..I just need a few minutes..just a few..” But the nursemaid paid no mind and herded Aretha to a bath filled will semi-warm water. She didn’t even have time to relax when she stepped into the tub before her head was dunked under the water. “By the gods woman! Do you plan to kill me!?”
Ellen chuckled scrubbing Aretha down in soapy suds. “Of course not. I thought you just needed to wake up. It would embarrassing if one of the King’s children fainted. But then again it would serve you right. Sneaking out at night.” Aretha just scowled, bitterly wishing terrible things upon the old bat. Finally, she was rinsed off in freezing water, assuring her wakefulness.

“I swear Ellen… you have no compassion”, Aretha drolled while drying herself off with a warm towel. If anything all she wanted was to now just limp off to bed and soak up the heat of her sheets. But she knew better than to suggest such a thing. Soon enough she was once again dressed, her hair braided and tied into a bun. Holding her arms out, Aretha choked while Ellen laced her undergarments. “There. Be off with you, can’t keep the queen waiting”, said the maid when she had finished dressing the princess.

Aretha once more was sent back to the courtroom. She thought about food but realized hunger was not upon her. Perhaps the excitement of the night had chased it out of her, but she was still tart about not being able to sleep. “Idiotic guests and the need to serve them…”, she growled lowly as she made her way back into the stuffy and insufferable room filled with perturbed people.

Hama spoke from behind her. "I might be idiotic but i require no service. nor was it I who decided that the royal family must greet guests. i believe that was your mad a hundred and seven times great uncle Joffree. he had a number of interesting ideas." He took Aretha's arm and lead her to her place, where fortunately there was a comfortable chair.

As they walked he explained further. "he was the one that decided to use frog liver's as pain killers, required all the maids in the castle to wear their clothing inside out, made his chamberlain serve naked, and tried to paint the throne pink. Very funny fellow. Did you know his left foot had seven toes? Good morning." he helped her sit then walked to the center of the room where again the jade Dragon was waiting. He sat patiently his fingers laced twiddling his thumbs patiently as he waited for everyone to join them. Everyone was to have a seat at this meeting and it promised to be lengthy.

When everyone had arrived Hama held up his hand and touched the head of the Jade Dragon. as he did a huge length of curved wood appeared before the chairs and grew legs, forming a round circle around Hama and his chair, while a sphere table appeared before him. "Allow me to apologize for the inconvenience with a recent discovery of the dwarves. Java beans." He pressed the head again and silver goblets of immense worth appeared filled with a rich, intoxicating smelling beverage that simply via the smell broke the air of fatigue in the room. "Do be careful. it's rather strong."

he touched the head again and before each person appeared golden plate and silverware. "I do apologize but i shall have to ask you to work with these. I-"

Duncan cried out as his plate filled with his favorite meal. "by the gods!"

Hama clapped happily. "Ahhh good you've worked it out. you simply think what you want and the plate with deliver. Now I suggest everyone take some time to eat while i further explain the issues we will face with the Rezda. is that agreeable to everyone?"

He looked first to Patis who had just summoned up a huge plate of bacon, eggs, and flapjacks, complete with his favorite raspberry syrup. the king looked up and smiling sheepishly nodded. Hama then looked to the Dwarves. "ladies and gentledwarves We are all very grateful for your discovery. May I speak with your permission?" The Dwarves gave their consent with waves of their forks.

Smiling Hama turned to the Orcs, the placement had been utterly random. "My friends?" they all nodded. As did the Amgi, both races of Elves, and the other representatives. finally he turned to nila. "your grace I assume i have not overdone my welcome by displacing your marvelous kitchens?"N
Nila, delicately eating her own froze, then blushing, stood and spoke. "Nay friend Dragon. My cooks will be glad to have the break.. We all thank you. Will you not have something yourself?"

Hama bowed. "Your generosity is endless Your Grace but no. It is rude to eat while talking yes?"

She nodded smiling and casting a sidelong look at her sons who all remembered to chew with their mouths closed. Hama smiled as she sat and his round table lowered into the floor so he could step up onto it. he turned to Jesa , who was eating her favorite pink diamonds, "Lady Amgi May i borrow your caster?"

She stopped then magicked a bracer to him. "thank you." He snapped it into place and began to speak.

"As you have seen the Rezda are far more resilient than yourselves. In addition to the numbers we will require to defeat our foes, and the immense wealth needed to supply them, i have come to advise your miners and smiths, especially the Dwarves and Elves, of a mountain of turbium."

Everyone murmured the word. turbimum was the rarest metal in existence and was so strong it could resist even an entire thunder of dragons for hours. The very doors of this hall were coated with turbium and the locks had been forged of the stuff. This room had never been breached will the locks were in place.

Hama nodded and gestured showing them all an image of a rather lonely mountain far to the north on the opposite side of the land of the Vast Desert. The dwarves and Elves all gasped as they recognized both the mountain and the stone. "Mt. Drno is made of turbium?"

Hama nodded again. "Aye. Pure turbium from the very tip of the peak to several hundred feet before the ground. but even with that surplus there is not enough to arm or armor, even just a neck plate, for every soldier you will be able to field. So i propose this. each of you have specialized warfare groups, your greatest warriors. i suggest you train them solely to fight Rezda and when they ready you arm them in turbium and supply them with weapons of the same, all of imbued with powerful magics from all races, including my own. These warriors will serve as both our front lines and our elite forces. must they must trained and work together. That is the price. We Dragons have already located a place suitable to this specialized training."

Naturally the place was not far from Mt. Drno so transporting the armor and weapons would take little time.

"That i leave up to you. But before you make your decisions i advise we discuss one more thing. how to kill a Rezda."

A nude image of a Rezda appeared. they had no visible genitalia and their scaly skin was complete, while they seemed to have gills over their ribs as well and their fingers and toes were webbed. The image grew until it was the same size as Hama.

"The greatest strength the Rezda have is that they can breath both water and air. But they are highly susceptible to toxins and poisons." As he spoke a hand appeared with a simple but effective poison that the humans used in a weakened state to treat illness. "Bericane powder has a rather wicked effect upon their bodies. i will spare you the images of the reaction itself as you are eating but..." The powder flew up into the Rezda's face . It's eyes sealed themselves as did it's gills. "It seems every Rezda is deathly allergic to the powder. They suffocate less than a minute after exposure." The image indeed did just that.

Hama sighed. "the drawback is that you have such a limited supply of Bericane powder and what little you do have will be needed as the only known antidote to the bite of a Rezda. But should the time come it is a possible weapon. moving on."

He showed them how the Rezda, while not very flammable, had issues with fire in significant quantities. "it sears their eyes. however we have evidence that they have developed hydrokinesis of sorts. They can move and produce water at will. This is very dangerous as together they can form whole tsunamis. Their magic one on one is rather weak however."

He demonstrated a Rezda hurling a water blast at a Amgi who easily shielded himself from it then hurled a ice block into the creature's flesh killing it. "Personally I believe it is because they are too angry to be good magicians. And the talent is very new. Only seen in actual use since they emerged."

He then went through their actual physical weaknesses. "Due to their biology their ribs are solid bone with no spaces, and their heart is in the exact center of their chest. however you can strike from above, from the space around the throat, and below from below the sternum. he touched the two points which glower. "These are difficult strikes however. Far better are their blood vessels. There is one in their neck, just below their jaw, protected by the spine. there is one in their nether region, and the third and fourth are in their hands and feet respectively. their spines snap like any others but they are very sturdy so attacking there is ill advise. They are weak in the groin area however. A slash or stab there can open a lethal wound. Cutting off hands or feet will do much the same. of course you can also decapitate them or open their brains to the air in a number of ways but again their bones are very strong, especially in that area. They do possess temples, but they are placed farther back, behind what we call the ear."

He grinned touching the ear. "this is their biggest weakness. they are especially sensitive to loud sounds and shockwaves. Their ears serve as emitters and detectors like those of bats so if you can disrupt that you can effectively destroy the Rezda." As he spoke a dragon's head appeared and gave a mighty, though silent, roar. the Rezda's ears ruptured and it fell to the ground thrashing until it died. "We believe that the blood vessel in the neck supplies directly to their eardrums as they almost always die from blood loss if they have not been otherwise dispatched. We are honestly not sure."

he finished and the image vanished. "Those are all methods. of course the issue is if they get close enough and unless you can match their strength, which we judge to be about equal to or above that of the Elves, you are doomed. So we need spears. long swords. And arrows by the billion. kill or maim them at a distance then use other techniques to cut them down. otherwise you will not survive and will likely become one of them."

He sighed having finished for now and sat the table raising and cleaning itself as his own food and drink appeared. His food was raw bloody meat and no one could see what he was drinking. he ate calmly while the delegates discussed possibilities. He ate quietly and delicately, using his napkin appropriately and never belching. he watched and listened as he ate several plates of meat,, clearly rather hungry himself. His goblet, like the others, also refilled itself instantly but it was it was still impossible to tell what eh drank. the java beans had everyone else wide awake and a rather energetic which seemed to please him.

Hama caught Aretha's eye and winked. Whatever it is he saw in her apparently greatly pleased him.

Aretha tapped her nails against the wooden table gazing back and forth between her plate and goblet. She still wasn't hungry and neither did she feel any trust for Hama. Being a cautious woman to the point of paranoid, she cast sideway glances to the Souled. To her dismay, he had winked at her. Of all audacious things to do! Her eyes narrowed in suspicion and she looked for a napkin. Finding one, she reached over to where her brother Ducan sat and plucked a pen from his pocket.

"What do you think you doing?", he asked raising a arched brow. "I'm simply making sure you don't ruin your clothing. You have a tendency to have ink bursting on your clothing, if I remember correctly." She answered with a smug smile. Her bother snorted but didn't make any further attempts to dismantle the truth behind her statement. He always seemed to be carrying some writing utensil and in the end a disastrous mess was left behind in the process. Satisfied, she began writing on the piece of cloth which she noted was finely made and slide it across to where Hama sat.

'Sir, I do believe your flirting with me. Are my qualms correct?' She had written the lettering in beautiful, neat loops that formed into words taken in a forward slant. Taking on a disinterested air, she spoke up. "I must question something that has been bothering my conscious. Why exactly have we not heard of these attacks from before you've arrived dear Hama? Some would think that if such creatures did exist we would have heard of them parading on the lands. And certainly if they are on a mindless massacre."

Not many people out of the royals and nobles have heard Aretha speak out so openly. Poets would make songs and lyrical adaptions concerning the royal family and their mysterious children. One of the rumors that spread like wildfire by the higher ups of the land tell told of the middle child who had a voice of nature. And rightly so. Any resentment which was in her evaporated and the notes she spoke in spilled like laughing water over smooth stones which glistening in the running streams. To the listeners ear's one could say it was the gentle sounds of earth as it moved through the seasons, of trees in the wind, of water slapping stone, or of animals play. In any case. it was strangely beautiful and somewhat moving, filled with the grace of the forest and it's creatures.

"Ah! The Lady of the Tongue speaks! Watch out, Hama! She'll wrap your words around you faster than a jack rabbit in front of a prairie fire!" Siddel yelled across the table, some of the men chortling at the expression. "Oh hush you. This a meeting and as such a discussion that is filled with questions that must be answered."

She tried to maintain a serious expression but her lips failed to do so. She turned her attention back to Hama, resting her arm against the mantle of the chair and her hand cuppeding her cheek. The belt she wore of braided gold and pearls and hanging bells accented her slime waist, tinkled as she moved about. To her it was much difficulty to move in the simple but long red dress, that fell into gentle gathers to the floor. But the colors complemented her comely form that was wrapped in a black shawl, gracing her shoulders.

She tilted her head, large, dark, fathomless eyes, deep as forest pools and twinkling in an unspoken challenge. The bun that her maid had tied was falling apart, mostly likely in due rush. The golden streaked brown tresses curled in dark cascades along her slender neck, framing a face at once so open and frank it would disarm the observer.

The King coughed, waving a large hand as to dismiss his daughter's inquires. "Don't mind her, she does this to every man she meets. A challenge of intelligence and sharp remark. Which is the reason she chases off every suitor within a day. Her shrewdness will torment any sensible man." Aretha shrugged, her mother choking on her food as her daughter's common state. "Is it wrong for me to see if a man has more wit than his horse? Of every man I meet I promise the only thing left to be admired of him is his coin purse." Her father woofed a laugh so deep, breath seemed impossible to catch.

She looked back to Hama, obviously playing a game she knew all too well. "It's quite alright if you don't answer me at my father's request, though...it may bring about some doubtfulness on others..." Hiding her face away from all to see, she mouthed gingerly, a smile playing with the corners of her lovely mouth, threatening always to dissolve her features into laughter. "Do you accept, Sir?"

Hama just smirked the whole time she spoke and made her little performance. When she finished he stood. He delicately wiped his lips then spoke. "In answer to your first question," he held up her napkin which bursts into green flames vanishing. "no."

"As to your second inquiry the other delegates have reports of the Rezda." They all agreed that they had reports and confirmed sightings. Hama smiled. "Secondly your own magicians, and theirs have verified my reports and images as truthful." They nodded confirming this as well. "Third I ride no horse. i do not subjugate those weaker than myself for the convenience of it.

He wriggled his fingers then produced a large Dragon eye. He ran his hand over it's surface. it showed Tzechtl Rha and his army still marching across the sand. This was an irrefutable confirmation. A Dragon Eye could not lie.

He smiled as he set the eye down on his table letting everyone watch it as he looked back at Aretha his eyes opening to present his own challenge daring her to look fully into his eyes and court the madness.

"I am not one of your weak willed humans. I am no suitor. I am a Dragon. Of course i accept Your Majesty. The question is can you withstand the challenge you have presented?"

Her sisters and mother grimaced, and her Father blinked in surprise. He was openly daring Aretha to spare with him. Nila grabbed her hand. "Darling remember he is far older than you,....don't risk your life or sanity just to prove yourself!"

She was sure this warning would do no good but she could not let her child just destroy herself.

Hama just stood there still as stone his eyes inviting her, daring her, challenging her. He wanted her to looked. he wanted to see if she had the courage. And even more wanted to know if she could survive it.

Everyone in the room was silent as they watched this silent battle of wills. Hama had smoothly slipped free of her word trap and had presented her with his own as well as what likely would be her very death. This reminded them all why they feared the Dragons. And why they hated them.

She didn't falter for a moment, only nodding as he spoke. She wanted a challenge and she got it, and was grateful for it. "Since we are listing things off, I'll go on with the next one. First, I am grateful I was incorrect." She paused referring back to what was said. Perhaps she had been too brash with asking about the incoming army. An error on her part, one not to be made in the future.

"Second, my father was making an example. I search for no suitor nor is one needed. A breath of relief passes though the murmurings of all my maidens at the reassurance and myself. And you think of us as weak? I know we hold no scales to protect ourselves or fire on our tongue to burn the intruding alive, but we aren't weak. You may think of us as weak willed, but I'm sure that if humans were as what you make them to be we would have been eradicated by an enemy. And yet, here we are." She loosely let go of her mother's hand waving her arm around the palace indicating that they still thrived. "And the horse comment was a simple simile between most men I have met", she sniffed.

She rose from her seat, finding it imposing that her changer stood taller than she. Still she was shorter than him but at least the feels of being a ant to a giant were diminishing some. Aretha would not stand down and could feel animosity boil up in her chest in a waging war of it's own. Should she look to him face to face or would that be another foolish error to add? She had kept her head at a leveled stance, aflutter with the choice she would make.

"From what I have heard and been told, dragons are their own form of monsters that hold no regard for those they feel are below them. Battles of the past has shown thus true. Can you judge someone for questioning the motive behind such ideals?" This was when she looked up, eye to eye, though she felt like her heart would pound through her flesh. She could only justify that he might not do anything reckless, putting the dragons and their request at risk of the nations turning against them. But that didn't stop her voice from quivering.

"It's hard to believe that suddenly you come to us asking for assistance when many of our own have been killed in battles against your kind without much chance. The people live by fear because you enforce it. They shudder at the name for they hate your kind, as you have already stated. You say the dragons can hold their own against these Rezda, so why care for the people you look down at with such a prideful huff?"

"So is it just a plan to use our numbers for your own benefit or are your intentions actually pure as the seem?"

He smiled. He liked this girl.

"No human village or city has ever survived contact with the Rezda. But they've never made it this far inland. Instead your fellow mortal races had to suffer to protect you." He gestured at the other races who looked down nervously but nodded in agreement."

He then did something no Souled had ever done. he reached down and untied his robe then with a thumb opened them letting them fall revealing his body. His skin appeared human but his body was covered in scars that would have killed any human or other mortal creature. He had only pants on as he raised his arms turning in a circle showing his bulging body. The scars were almost endless. one long claw mark had removed his right nipple and his left nipple was split in half by some kind of slash.

"I bear no scales here Your Majesty." He stuck out his tongue. "And i breath no fire. but i can do both. And if you insult my people again i shall."he flexed his hands and a ripple of something moved through his body revealing black scales from his toes up to the top of his skull then he snorted sending out two jets of green flame.

He his hand snapped out still covered in scales and now possessed of six taloned fingers as he roared. "YOUR FATHER SITS ON THE PAW OF ONE MY PEOPLE AND YOU QUESTION US !?!" He swung his hands at the other races. "The dwarves and orcs stole a dozen of our eggs and used them and the hatchlings within to forge the crowns of their kings along with their weapons. The elves have slaughtered hundreds of my kind because we frightened their herds. The Amgi have shot us out of the sky. You humans have repeatedly banished us and treated us as unwelcome monsters." His voice was growing deeper into a gravelly roar, his body becoming fully scaled. Each breath expelled a small jet of green flame. He pointed at the other races. "you have stolen our treasure, murdered our young, and driven us into hiding because of your fear."

he whirled to face Aretha again making everyone jump. He then stopped and returned to his human form and lifted his robes resealing them on his body. 'because of that same fear we have stayed away and hidden for millenia. But we have lost hundreds in the battle to protect our lands, the agreement signed with the blood of Hexor Nu!" he pointed at the Dragon head above her father's. "We swore as a whole race to serve and protect Fitan. And it has cost us much and given us nothing. And now you question us? What do you have we could want!?"

He sneered at her. "Even each one of you could not feed us for more than a year. We have no need of weapons or armor. We have treasure far beyond your imagining. Your magic is pitiful compared to ours. So again...WHAT DO YOU HAVE WE COULD WANT!!??!!!"

The whole castle shook with his rage.

He took a long breath and spoke softly. "i came because we gave our word to give aid. Allow me to give you a secret. The vast Desert and the water of Death are in the far east." he pointed. he touched his chest. "We dragons live so far west as to be out of your world. yet we came. or rather I have. To determine whether you will have the sense to accept our help. but if you wish to fight alone so be it. I will take pour embassy. This will be the breaking of our agreement. Will that suit you?"

Everyone knew dragons took matters of honor seriously. And there was no doubt he could indeed do as he threatened. The others also began to murmur. The Dragons had no need of their lands or possessions. There could be only one reason for there coming. Hama grinned at Aretha and for a moment his head and face became that of a full dragon. he blew a jet of flame again then he raised his hood letting his face stay visible as it returned to the human form and he sat in his chair.

Duncan leaned toward his sister. "great job. you pissed off a dragon. happy with yourself?

"Extremely", she hissed the sarcastic note dripping violently. Her whole body was on edge after the scenario, and she was for once... speachless. Neither did she know that dragons had been treated with more cruelty than any other and the nervous shaking of the delegates only confirmed her thought or could Hama turn into a dragon. Something that had made everyone squirm in their seats.

Knowing if she spoke again and the fact she would cause more trouble, she stalked over to Nila and Patis, who were also still in the same frozen state as most in the room. Bending down to whisper in her father's ear, she grumbled sourly."I'm taking my leave. I told Chilton I would play with him." Aretha didn't even wait for her father to agree or force her to sit back down. Her mother though, frowned in disappointment.

So she left the court room in a storm of fridgid anger. "That dragon!", she said with clenched teeth. Her hands rolled and unrolled into tight fists, nails digging into the palm. The servants didn't spare a glance at the princess with a murderous cloud over her head. They heard what was going on, even through closed doors. Aretha wasn't very talented in the art of deceiving her emotions. They spoke cloudy on her expression and she could do nothing to hide them.

She lowered her head, the tinge of red enveloping her cheeks due to shame. Not only had she made a fool of herself but she departed in such a quick manner it was sure to be looked at as a retreat. "Chilton! We are leaving!" She burst through his room, the child and his brother being startled from out of sleep.

"A-Aretha," he spoke rubbing his eyes. "Are you going to the stables now?" Aretha nodded and biting her lip, and watched her brother's maids rush in to dress him. She wanted to scream at them to hurry up, she wanted to stomp around, and part of her even begged to cry. How uncommon was it for her to feel so enraged. She paced back and forth, watching for her brother to be released from the grabby handed women. "I mean, I'm not even sure if I can face anyone again. I'll surely hide under a rock somewhere for the rest of my life", she whispered under her breath.

The maids looked at the girl as she spoke to herself, rounding the path she walked in her stiff pace. "Do you think she's gone mad?", muttered a younger women. "No. Princess Aretha just isn't used to being talked down to. Being a prized daughter of the king and queen, she has grown used to the idea people must quiver under her", the older maid replied as she tied the laces of Chilton's boots.

"What are you taking about? Did Aretha do something bad?" Both maids looked at Chilton in horror, his childish face glowing in pure curiousity. They glanced from the corner of other eyes at the princess who had stopped in her steps. She swallowed a deep breath, the air in her lungs refusing to release her stress. "I did something horrid and now I'm going to pay the penalty of my actions."

Chilton, being a child and not understanding a grown-ups anger, laughed. Aretha snapped her head in his direction ready to tell him to quiet himself but softened when she saw he was clueless. He laughed because his sister looked so funny when upset, her face red and nose scrunched up in thought. So while she saw the world in black and white, he would see it in vibrant color. She sighed, envious of a child's innocence of the world.

Holding out her hand, she beckoned the boy to come to her. He jumped off a stand the nurses had put him on to make him easier to dress and ran to his sister. Taking her hand, he jumped up and down excitement bubbling from his small form. "Are we gonna go see your horse? Are we? Are we?" Aretha smiled slightly and bent down to button up her brother's dark purple coat. "I suppose so. But I warn you to keep your distance. He has a fire driven temper."

Chilton snorted and placed his hand in his hips, lifting his curly filled head. "Then I shall conquer him and he will learn to respect me." Her smile grew and she ruffled his hair. "Undoubtedly. We are gifted children after all. Never failing to please." She waved good-bye to the maids and walked down the hall leading to an exit. Chilton skipped along with her, speaking a thousand words a second and she could only nod and make little response.

She opened a back way door leading to the stables. Glancing around to make sure they weren't seen, she pulled Chilton over to the families stables where the cries of restless horses echoed. "Now Chilton, take heed of my warning and don't get to close. The beasts take offence to new strangers and they will dislike you if you don't know how to handle them. Just let me pick out a sturdy mare that can handle a new rider." The boy nodded, filled with so much joy he barely heard his sister.

Stepping inside of the open doorway, she pushed the doors closed. None of the stable boys were present, most likely still eating breakfast. She walked down the stalls, the horses whinnying and stomping their hooves in rememberance of the daily coming and goings of the girl. When she reached the last stall, she ushered Chilton to step back. Aretha unlocked the door, a pure black horse snorting and shaking it's head with wild eyes. She stepped forwand grabbing the horse's head and pressing her face against his forehead. "Aye, Calhoun. It's time to go out for a ride." She placed a kiss on his snout, patting his flank.

She squeezed past the large beast, who tried to swing it's head to follow her but couldn't. She took down a saddle and opened a large leather pocket and pulled out some pants and a white, ruffled long sleeved shirt. She waved for Chilton to turn around while she dresses. The boy huffed but did as he was told. Squirming from the confinements of her dress, she threw it to the ground. Quickly, she dressed herself as one of the stable boys as she had practiced over the years. She found that men have a more comfortable ride than ladies simply based on the difference of how they sat. So from years back, she would buy men's clothing and hide them until time for her next ride.

"You may turn around now, Chilton", Aretha called wrapping her hair into a pony tail. The boy looked around, tempted to try and touch one of the horses. But he stayed in place, almost like a soldier. She then thought of the war that was to arrive. The delegates that tried to find a solution to the upcoming battles. And that blasted dragon. She threw the red dress back into the hidden pocket of the saddle and placed it back on the wall. She forced herself out of the stall and moved to open the stall of another horse. A small penny, brown pony nickered in surprise, backing up. Thankfully, the horse was already saddled and prepared to go.

"Chilton, meet Oak. She'll be the horse you ride today." Chilton opened his mouth to argue, knowing that his brothers let him ride the bigger animals but he closed his mouth. He was happy with the small horse that was actually his size. He jumped on the saddle, grabbing hold of the reins. "Aren't you going to put in your horses saddle", he asked as he watched his sister grab hold of her horse's mane. "What would be the fun in that?"

Sitting on Calhoun's bare back, she used his mane as her reins but allowed the horse to move out of the stables followed by Oaks and her rider. Using her the heel of her boot, she kicked the doors open once more. "Chilton, race me to the willow trees. If you find a way to win, I'll give you my dessert for a whole month." And with that Calhoun broke out into a full out gallop. The might horse carried his insignificant rider with tireless ease. Trained in hard school for combat before her father bought him, he was use to bearing the weight of a full grown man wearing armour upon his broad back. Aretha, shivering in the cool morning breeze like a cold leaf, clung to the magnificent animal's neck, scarcely a burden.

Aretha's departure left the entire court silent for quite a bit. During this period Hama settled himself by assuring his robe was on straight and getting his thick hair, which had vanished when his head had become that of a full dragon, back into it's place in his hood. Finally Agatha hissed to her mother. "that's the first time I've ever seen anyone get the better of Aretha..."

Hama sighed. "Well i have made my point I think. You all have much to discuss with your armies, and in many cases your leaders. i wish you well. I shall be in my Embassy." he took up the Eye and carried it to Patis. "you may use this to contact me safely." he dropped it into the king's hands then walked to the embassy, followed yet again by the Jade Dragon, and went inside both doors slamming and locking from within.

Nila sighed. "oh dear.... i had never thought about it...but we do tend to mistreat the dragons...and they have helped us many times in the past...." Patis nodded. "still Aretha made a valid point..." Nila nodded again. "i know...but she let her tongue carry it too far....I hope she is alright."

Duncaan laughed at the idea was stunned by a sharp slap to the back of his head from his mother. "Your sister was thinking of the safety of our people! You will show her proper respect!" her eyes blazed and he nodded. His brother started to smirked and received a matching slap from her other hand. Their mother was not in the mood for their little games. "I want all of you out of my sight. Agatha go take care of my grandson. Go!" Her children fled the table. they had never seen her like this.

Patis waited. The delegates had left when Hama had so they had not seen the little scene between the Royal family, but he was still concerned. He leaned toward her. "Nila my love... Perhaps you need to talk a bit of walk about the gardens? Clear your head?"

She turned her fuming glare on him but he simply looked back clam and patient. "I could join you if you wish. We have not walked together in some time."

She tried to hold onto her anger. She wanted to be angry. her children had embarrassed her, the Dragons had finally called into question the supposedly noble acts of her own family, and the were the bloody Rezda coming to kill them all. The trouble was was that Patis was so damned reasonable. She had loved him since they had been children and she still did. As if the twelve children were not enough proof. But she lover her husband. more than she could ever say. She sighed releasing a small part of her fury and nodded. "Very well. but no misbehaving."

he smiled. "i would not dream of it My queen." She sniffed not buying it. Soon they were alone amongst the flowers and plants and she did indeed feel so much better. She still needed to vent though. "My own children squabbling before the other nations like toddlers!!" this was what truly infuriated her. She had trained them to be polite and respectful at all times but they just wouldn't listen. Patis gently stroked her hand and arm. "I shall talk to the boys my love. Agatha and the girls were exquisitely well behaved,. And Aretha was a champion for our people."

Nila sniffed again. "true. I am very proud of my girls. Especially Aretha..." Her eyes watered. "I felt so bad for her...The Dragon's fury....and he has the right...As he spoke I saw it...everything he said...I saw it. Since the Souled came they have sought only peace and yet we have attacked them, destroyed their young, hunted them, and hounded them into hiding...and now....I wish Aretha hadn't spoken..."

Patis nodded. "Aye....but still it had to be asked... I say we make her a more key part of these talks. her mind is far too sharp to be wasted..." Nila nodded in agreement her eyes far away. he smiled and leaned in kissing her cheek making her jump. "I told you no misbehaving!" he grinned. "i merely kissed my beautiful wife. is that a crime now?"

Her eyes narrowed. "i know how sneaky you are Patis Redsword."

His free hand went to his chest. "My Queen wounds me."

She shrugged. "it's the truth." After a moment they both laughed as they came upon the Palace of Roses.

Planted by Patis' great grandmother, High Queen Rena to celebrate her son's return from a lost quest, the Palace was a huge series of rose bushes that had somehow grown together to form a domelike structure that had roses and other flowers scattered about everywhere. the other flowers offset the roses and made it actually quite pleasant. Patis looked around. "Nila...i have an idea..."

She looked over at him and started to back away. "What....?"

He shook his his head. "not that. What if we move the discussions here? There is just as much room but it is far more pleasant. And it would free Hama from having to look at the throne. that must be so painful for him."

She looked around. "well we could..."

he nodded. "And you've had your cooks making dinner all day. Give us time to prepare everything and let everyone get their rest then come here have dinner then resume discussions. by then we should be able to get Aretha calmed down and where we need her yes?"

Nila nodded and clapped her hands. Within minutes servants were bring in chairs and the magical table, which they found rolled itself up and made it far easier to carry, and they also began to arrange place settings and silverware.

Patis noticed this and called out. "Where is that which Hama supplied?"

The servants shrugged. "it vanished Your grace."

Patis looked at his wife. "Well this will give us a chance to apologize. Do we have enough raw meat for him?"

She nodded chewing her thumb. Patis smiled and took her arm. "Come my love. you need rest as well." She tried to argue but Patis was still a strong man. And she was so very tired. Patis noticed and began to recall how a woman he once knew had fire like his own daughter's. it had been quite enticing. She did not catch for a moment but when she did she nudged him away giggling. They went to their chambers and commanded to be left at peace until Aretha returned from her ride. they had to rest.

Of course her maid servants were not at all surprised that it was quite some time before the two old lovebirds finally fell asleep. Giggling they went about their duties. The Royal Couple's lovelife was still the favorite gossip amongst many, even though it was so boring as they did not sleep around, rarely fought, and of course were still so clearly in love. Still it served as a fine example and many dreamt of a love like their's.

Especially Agatha. The brunette beauty had grown up watching her parents together and had longed for a love like theirs. But Kurtis' 'father' was nothing like her own. Cresin Fatal had been a devilishly handsome man but had also possessed his own devil. he had slept with two of her handmaidens the night before the wedding, and then had forced her to endure similar humiliation by bringing them into their marriage bed during their honeymoon. her shame had been absolute. he had forced her to leave her home and live in his dismal little castle while he went out whoring and drinking and she wept herself to sleep every night. Finally one night he had come in and though she had had his dinner prepared, he had no servants, their rooms were spotless, and she had obeyed his every command he had grown violently angry and beaten her. That night she had seen the blood from her womb and she knew. He had killed her child.

So she had begun to coat his drink with a strong sleeping draft so he would be to sleepy to touch her or beat her. And it worked. but she grew lonely. One day a very kind and handsome bard had come to her home while her husband was away with his whores. His name had been Greco. He was such a sweet man. and he sang so beautifully. Finally she had given in to temptation and had convinced him to join her in her bed. the next dya her husband came home in a towering rage. Greco was at the inn and had mentioned that he had passed the castle and was curious who the lovely lady there was, as he would like to play for her and her husband, and for some reason Cresin had become angry at this. He had beaten Greco to death with his bare hands and now planned to do the same to her. And had nearly succeeded. He had chased her, badly bleeding, into the kitchen. there she had managed to throw oil into his face making him trip and fall into the fire.

She had not left the kitchen until two days after, when she was found still staring at the charred remains of her husband hating him. her mother had come to visit, thinking she would have been in time to meet her new grandchild. She had been shocked to find the truth. The whole incident had already gotten out, though only the the royal family knew about Greco. Nila had brought her home and nine months later Kurtis had been born. A simply wonderful child he was a sweet as honey and and was unfailingly polite, and loved his aunts, uncles, and especially his grandparents more than life. Though only two he was also quite bright and he had his father's beautiful singing voice. Agatha was watching him sleep just now thinking of these things and of course of the Rezda and the Dragons.

Cresin had won his fame, and right to marry her, by destroying a Dragonhold mountains that bandits had been using a fortress. he had claimed to have destroyed many eggs. She looked at her son and wondered. "Did he? did he destroy innocent little lives like my own son just because he could?" she brushed back his hair and sighed again unsure of what to do. Kurtis wriggled and opened his eyes and seeing her giggled and held out his hands. "Mommy!" Smiling as she always did when he spoke to her Agatha lifted him from his bed and settling on it. "Come my little prince. You have to meet a Dragon."

He gurgled. "Ok Mommy... Mommy?"

"yes dear?" She lay him on her bed and to change him. She never let the servants do this. Cresin had been good for that much. He had made her self sufficient.

"What's a dwagon?"

She smiled. He was at that stage where he questioned absolutely everything. She reminded him of the bog dark man with the green eyes he had seen for a minute before falling back to sleep. "Remember him? His name is Hama."

Kurtis wriggled as she tickled his tummy trying to remember. "Yes Mommy i member." She then showed him one of the big dragons in one of his picture books. "Well this big Dragons needed friends. So they made friends like Hama to help them." he considered it for a long moment then nodded. "ok Mommy... why?"

She giggled and tickled him again making him squirm. "So The Dragons could talk to people instead of eating them " She mimed eating him making him giggle. when she stopped he looked up. "Mommy?"

"Yes my love?"

"Why is the Dragon here?"

She sighed. "because some very bad creatures are coming to hurt people. he is trying to help us. So You are going to help us."

His face took on an awed tone. "I am?"

She nodded. "Yes. You are going to be a real prince today."

He nodded hopefully. "Ok Mommy..what do i do?"

"you just stand straight and tall like grandpa and you bow like grandma taught you. And i will tell you what to say alright?"

He nodded again. "Yes Mommy.." he bit his lip with his still new teeth. "Mommy?"

She took a moment to answer as she was struggling with his shoes. he was growing so fast they were already getting tight. Once she had then one she wiped her brow. "Yes dear?"

"What if the Dragon gets mad and eats me?"

She looked up at him. "he would never. but if you are really scared I want you to do this. I want you to look him right in in the eye and tell him you aren't scared." She was taking a chance and she knew but she also had a secret only she knew. She had looked into the Dragon Eyes at the Embassy and had survived it. it had been the same day she had come home from Cresin's evil and she had been at her lowest. She had wanted to die. So she had taken the only option. but she had lived. And she hoped that the same protection would be on her son.

he bit his lip again. "But I am scared Mommy." Kurtis did not lie. He couldn't even keep a secret about a new toy or bug. She cupped her face with her hands. "i am too my love. but courage is not the absence of fear. it is doing what is right despite the fear. Do you understand?"

He thought for a moment. "Like grandpa and Aunty Aretha!?"

She smiled. "Exactly like them. you stand tall like a prince and make your Aunty proud." Kurtis worshiped Aretha. She wasn't afraid of nothing.

Agatha smiled as he straightened himself on the bed trying to look like a prince. She sighed a bit as she watched him. he would only ever be a prince. he was technically a bastard and and there were more than a dozen others in line before him, including herself, but he was such a sweet boy. She found her ceremonial circlet, a gorgeous silver piece with a large inset diamond and then she found his matching crown. Each member of the royal family had had to at least three crowns or circlets. one for daily use, one for official use, as occasionally they sat in their father's place, and their ceremonial one. She put her's on first then carefully put Kurtis' on his head. "now what are the rules about the crown?"

He squeezed his eyes shut trying to remember. "Don't touch it! Don't run with it on...and... and...and.." He opened an eye sighing. "Mommy I can't member." She smiled. "i always forget the last one too. Stand straight and tall and when you bow or curtsy keep your head up and level so it doesn't fall." They actually couldn't fall but it was about the dignity of the thing.

He nodded and practiced the bow. that his Grandmother had worked with him on and he did it perfectly. She smiled proudly. "Alright my little prince. let's go meet a Dragon."

The Dragon Eye was still in the throne room, actually on the Throne itself. Kurtis obediently froze ten feet from it. he was not allowed any closer to the throne unless Grandpa said so and he knew it. Agatha smiled and moved to it the Throne alone touching the Eye. Hama's voice filled her mind. "Who calls?"

She breathed out slowly. "My Lord Hama Tritail, I am Agatha, first child and daughter of Patis Redsword, King of Ethlberg, and Nila Goldenhair, Queen of Ethlberg. i request an audience my lord." Hama did not answer bur a moment later the doors opened and he walked into the throneroom. before she could speak he bowed both to her and her son. "it is an honor Princess Agatha. And to you Prince Kurtis. how may i assist you?"

Agatha looked at her son . On the way she had coached him in what to say and he had been nervous but had remembered. Hama looked back down at the boy an eyebrow arched. Kurtis spoke with the soft pallet of the young but he spoke clearly and slowly to be ensure understanding. "My lord Hama. Dragon and fwiend. As a divine weader of the human race i humbwy apowogize for the actions of my people." he bowed then knelt before the Dragon who blinked and looked at the boy's mother. She startled him as well. "my lord i also express our apologies. We cannot repair the past But it is my sincere hope, for the sake of the children and hatchlings, that we can find a way to overcome this ordeal. together." She gave a beautiful curtsy then also sank to her knees. Kurtis spoke again. "We offer oursewves as objects of wevenge if you wish it." This part made him very nervous. the Dragon could eat them.

Hama was stunned. And impressed. he moved to the two and squatted before them. kurtis' eye fidgeted for a moment but then he looked up into Hama's eyes. "Are you not scared boy?"

Kurtis shook his head his eyes steady. "No sir. I'm brave like my Grandpa. And my Mommy. and my Aunty Aretha."

Hama smirked and looked at Agatha who after a moment looked into his eyes as well. He smiled after less than a moment. "Ahhh...a survivor. Very clever princess. Very clever indeed."

He looked back at the boy. "tell you what Kurtis. I won't eat you or your mother or anyone else here for what's been done in the past. But you have to make me a promise."

Kurtis nodded. Hama smiled. "Take up the lute. Not the sword." Kurtis grinned. He hated swords. They were so heavy and they hurt! His loved the lute. it was fun! he nodded. Hama held out his huge hand. "I may not be a man but i expect a man's handshake to be binding. is that of true of you Prince Kurtis?"

The boy's head was swimming now. A man? him? He was only two. His uncle Duncan said he wouldn't be a man until he killed his first enemy. But Grandpa said men weren't made. They just were. He considered, studying the Dragon's hand. It looked like a man's... Finally he looked back up as his tiny hand gripped Hama's. "it is twue. i don't like swords anyway."

Hama nodded and helped the boy and his mother to their feet. "Good." he took the Princess' hand and kissed it. "My lady your son is a marvel. much like yourself. keep him close and safe. And away from the blade. That path will lead only to his doom. With the lute he will bring happiness to thousands. "

She blinked but did not question it nodding. "I shall."

Hama nodded and looked at the boy again. "You would have made your father proud. Greco was a fine man." Kurtis knew his true father's name, but Agatha was shocked and hissed. "How-" Hama held up a hand. "There are far too many ways for me to have known my lady. Now you had best go rest my lady. Take your man of a son. i expect him at the discussions this evening. I need a friend there. Are we not friends Kurtis?"

Kurtis looked at his mother who gave a nervous nod and Kurtis nodded only just managing to keep his crown on his head. "We're friends!"

Hama nodded. "Good. i shall see you both tonight. he bowed to to them both again then returned to their embassy. Kurtis chattered all the way to their rooms and Agatha praised him proudly but she was still badly shaken. How had he known? They had told no one. she was sure of it!

She had won. Obviously. Aretha looked down upon Chilton who was indeed angry. "That wasn't even a fair race! You started before me! And you have a better horse than I do!" He pouted crossing his arms while Oaks panted, sweat dripping from her flank. Aretha kept her head high, and with a heavily overdone voice of a snotty noble she chuckled her reply.

"Dear boy, when is life ever fair? When does it even give you a chance? I daresay never. My horse and I simply outmatched you." Chilton's lip trembled and he looked close to crying as water filled his eyes. Aretha shook her head in the most frantic way and tried to think of something to make her brother cease any tears. She hated crying, she never knew how to deal with a person who broke down in a sobbing mess. "Chilton, you can still have my desserts! Just...just no crying!"

Chilton's head fell forward as his body heaved in airless sobs. But then he looked up and ... smiled. "Gotcha." Not a single tear had fallen down his face nor was he in any danger of ever being upset. He had tricked her! Chilton pressed Oaks to move around and together they trotted back down to the stables, a smirk drawn across his face. Aretha was stilled in shock. But when she broke from her spell, she chased after Chilton. Calhoun wasn't pleased with the force his mistress used and neighed in disagreement.

Not listening, she was now riding next to her baby brother. "You little sneak! That was one of the most snide things I've ever seen! Fake tears and such!" She huffed, inwardly pouting herself. She haden't expected such a show from the youngest. Why did it seem like everyone was out besting her today? Was she losing her touch?

"Life isn't fair, is it?" She groaned as Chilton basically threw her life lesson of the day in her face. But she had made a deal, so she would keep to it. "Spoiled little brat", she spat. It was a long ride back to the stables. The willow tress lay deep on the castle ground, hidden inside the forest. Swerving past thick trees, jumping over fallen logs, stepping through frozen streams, and all that excitement. However, Calhoun and herself had enough time to rest before the smaller pair made their appearance. It had given her time though to think. She was still unnerved about what had happened and she didn't want to go back into another meeting. She had left like a coward and took her anger out through a mad-driven horse ride and still she felt no better than how she had started. She knew she would have to apologise to Hama, regrettably. And that idea drove her to trying to come up with a hairbrained idea. Perhaps she could tell mother she had overly exhausted herself and had taken ill?

"Well, well, if it isn't the troublemaker. But shouldn't she be dressed as a girl and not a boy? Strange." Aretha jumped at the sound of her brother Siddel. He was leaning against the stables and was waiting, waiting to tease her. But when did they arrive to the stables? Had her mind really taken her from out of reality?

"I am a woman, Siddel. Not a just another toy for you to torment." She slid off her horse, leading the black stallion to her stall. "You are never seen as a toy! A porcelain doll maybe but never a meager toy." Siddel helped Chilton from his pony, who was currently tangled in the straps. "And as you can see I have no crack from my fall today, so you might as well take your leave."

She stiffly walked Calhoun to his stall and grabbed a bucket. Going over to trough, she filled her bucket with water and gave it to Calhoun. "Your pride is cracked though, but you were asking for it." Aretha sighed, running a single hand through her hair. "It was needed. I was thinking from a logical point of view. I mean, do you automatically trust a stranger just because he says he is trying to help? Everyone in that court room were all ears but never thought to question his motives. I only saw it fit to do the job myself."

Aretha left the stables carrying her dress over her arm while the two males followed closely behind. Siddel closer than needed, to be honest. "But you nearly undid a peace treaty between the humans and dragons. Between all the nation even! Civil war could have started when we have bigger problems to deal with! What demon possessed you to speak?!"

"I was following my instincts. Just not because a dragon has given us his word but because we have a kingdom of people that must be protected. To foolishly jump into a war without thinking of the people would be disasterous. People all over the kingdom have families, and most are poor. Even though we try to help, poverty will always be somewhere. And those same people rely on the men in their families to provide. If you take away the men you take away their income and lively hood."

Siddel growled and reached to grab his sister's arm and spun her around. "You think like an idealist. Of course men will die and families will suffer, it's war Aretha. Not a chess game that can be strategized so you won't lose men. No matter how hard you plan, people will die. And it's a fact that must be accepted." Siddel was cross. He had believed his sister to be smarter than this.

Aretha looked away, once more feeling embarrassment enter. "You're right. And ... I'm sorry. I made a fool of myself and the family name. Next time, I won't voice my opinions." Siddel smiled, pleased that Aretha saw the light at last. "You will have to amends with the dragon. You offended him and that isn't to be taken lightly." Aretha bit her tongue, enraged her brother thought he could tell her what to do. She had just admitted she was wrong that doesn't mean she'll become his slave. "Careful Siddel. I won't take orders from you in the least."

She brushed him off and made her way from her brother, but flinched when she heard him cry out. "You used to listen! In fact you never talked before, might have been better that way!" She pushed past the servant door, keeping her head down as she rushed past them. She wore the clothing a guise, but it only worked from a distance. Anyone with eyes would obviously see her in men's apparel and take notice she was a female.

But she was blind with her own anger. Siddel was not to bring up her past and her mistakes! He had no right! But if she had faced him she would have broken into tears and she wasn't to cry or even seem close to it. A royal was to be strong under any situation and her brother's bullying was no exception. Spite all of that, she wished she could cry like commoner and weep herself to sleep. What a terrible day.

Hama had readily agreed to the change of venue and had even left his embassy to help set up some little things, and had brought several things from the Embassy to the garden. This included a huge pair of snake like dragons that ringed the magical table's edges joining at the tail and facing each other at the place of honor. Patis' seat. There was also a mannequin with a new style of armor none of them had ever seen. It was clearly made of turbium but it seemed to be a solid piece of metal in four layers. The last piece was a weapon's case with a spear, sword, a dagger, and several other weapons.

he was now sitting in the jade dragon, waiting for the others to arrive. he cast a very odd image because of the two others sitting with him. Agatha was sitting in her own chair beside him, while Kurtis was on his elevated knee while Hama showed him some magic tricks with cards and coins. the boy's clever fingers showed great promise.

Nila and Patis entered the garden and seeing this were stunned but not displeased. Nila moved into the space through the table, it was odd but it just moved for her and the dragon would lift up so let her by, and she walked until she was by the Dragon. "Hama?" Hama had just vanished a coin amongst his fingers when the queen arrived so when he looked up and Kurtis grabbed his hand it was still there. the boy crowed his triumph then noticed his grandmother. he smiled but was unsure if he was in trouble. "hi grandma...." Agatha looked nervous as well. "Mother?" Hama was the only relaxed one. "yes Yoru Grace? And may i say you look lovely?"

she smiled. "Thank you. Don't worry you two you aren't in trouble. Hama...i have to know. are you angry with my daughter Aretha? Did her words offend you? i fear she may try to stay away but I would like her here..if you are willing?"

Hama laughed. "your Grace the reason i was so....active in my manner was because she cast aspersions on my people. made us seem what we are not. We have killed your kind. but for millenia we have left you be. The accusation of otherwise is unseemly and not to be endured. But no i am not nor was I offended. I would not want these discussions to continue without her. Such bravery is to be commended. Not punished."

Nila smiled. "Our thoughts exactly." She sent messengers looking for Aretha as well as going to look for her herself. She was going to bring her daughter to the meeting and tell her everything she thought as well as what Hama had said. And she had to tell Aretha about Kurtis sitting on Hama's knee and playing games with the Dragon.

She wasn't even close to her room when she heard people calling out her name. "By Zoar, I swear I will never find peace today."Looking this way and that, she hid herself in an unused hallway, holding her breath as the sound of footsteps came her way. "Princess Aretha! Princess! You have been requested to come to the meeting!" They were so close. So close in fact they were right next to the darkened corner where she hid. She prayed for all she was worth they would not find her. "Where is that damned girl? Always disappearing when needed. It's like she does this on purpose."

"You would be pulling a disappearing act if I saw your face", she thought. Soon enough the footsteps passed and she was allowed to breath. She stayed there for a moment, in attempt to pull herself together. "What's wrong with me?" She closed her eyes, her breath still out of beat with her heart. Here she was playing hide and seek with the servants all because she couldn't go back into an uncomfortable environment, that she had made. A promise to hold her tongue, how would she manage that? Sarcastic remarks came to her so easily and to bury that…

She would surely kill an innocent soul with her viciousness the next day. But then why did she even start a verbal battle with someone who was older than her? Wiser than her? “Because you’re an idiot”, she told herself aloud. Placing her hand on the cold floor, she pushed herself up to stand. There was no longer a point to playing her game and if she was forced to go she would accept it as so.

Drained of any fiery impulse, she made her way to a guard. She stood behind him and coughed, dragging the man from his statue like state. At first he seemed ready to yell at her, thinking the person who had disturbed him to be a simple stable boy. But once he caught hold of the feminine features that resembled so much of the queen, her realized who it was. “Princess, I have been told if I saw you to take you immediately dow-” She held up a hand, halting him from speaking anymore.

“I understand I was called upon and I shall be there momentarily. Just tell the servants to stop their outrageous search and yelling. I already have a headache and the noise only makes it worse.” The armoured man was obviously not pleased that he was being told to do something other than was first ordered. “Princess, I can’t allow you to go on your own. You have a reputation for wandering.”

Aretha finally at a point of just being dragged off without argument was saved by the intervention of her mother. “Gaurd! Leave her be. I’ll take my daughter down with me.” The large man nodded, bowed and without another word went back to his earlier position. Like a stone. Aretha wondered how people could actually do that, just stand all day without speaking. Must be absurdly boring.

“Aretha, I would ask why you are dressed like a stable boy but that question can come later.” The dazed woman looked to her mother, who was holding her with worried eyes. “Aretha, do you feel well? You look like you’re about to pass out.” She blinked and smiled softly. “No mother. I am fine, I must of just be winded from earlier.” Hooking her arm with her mother, they walked down to her chambers, once more.

“You were wrong to speak against Hama today. He had done nothing wrong and you accused him and his people of treachery. And then you made me worry for your safety. You are lucky he has a kinder heart than you thought.” Aretha stared at her mother as if she had gone insane. “What proof do you have that he is kind? I’ve seen no action of this.” Nila sighed, before sternly speaking to her daughter.

“I just witnessed Hama playing with Kurtis. The boy is sitting on his lap and playing magic tricks with him. And Agatha is comfortably sitting by his side as if they were old friends.” Aretha choked, playing a hand on her heart as she nearly stumbled. Traitor!, she had thought at first but then she remembered that Agatha was always welcoming to strangers in general. But still...her sister was being friendly to the dragon! Why!? “What if he put a spell on them or something?” Her words held disbelief and stuttering now had taken hold of her tongue. She had tried to think of a reason on why her family was suddenly changing sides and came to the solution that perhaps they were under some spell. Or she was just being stubborn but the first idea sounded better.

“Aretha, dear, please listen to yourself. You accuse the poor man of wrong deeds which you have no proof of. Your worrying in unfounded and cumbersome. Your sister and nephew have already befriended Lord Hama. I suggest you do that same. It will do you some good in the long run and will gain you favor.”

Aretha was torn, should she really be more open like her other suggested or should she listen to her head. Every piece of logic told her this was a bad idea and the queen was being blind to the truth. Monsters! Beasts! Mankillers! History has proven it to be so and they deserved the way they were treated and more some. But she began to soften. They were persecuted by all the nations and her actions were wrong. She had tried to make everyone question the dragon and he had shown he could defend himself.

Fine. I shall give him the benefit of the doubt. But will he be willing to deal with me?” Nila smiled in rejoyce, glad her daughter was being reasonable. “That is what I came to tell you, he said that you did not offend him and that you would be accepted! It was agreed that your bravery and intelligence is needed and has to be spoken.” Aretha now remained quiet. He had already forgiven her, at least that’s what she thought. But on top of that she was expected to speak.

I see…”, she murmured. Their voices lowered as Nila continued to speak. But Aretha's mind wandered away. What a predicament. Hopefully Siddel wouldn’t take her seriously but she knew he would and he would hold her to her word. Aggravating brothers. Ellen came into view and curtsied before the two women and opened the doors.

As Aretha went to dress herself her mother wondered around the room. “I have forgotten how much you changed from a little girl. You used to have dolls and dresses scattered throughout the floor. The maids would complain of tripping.” The queen giggled, placing a delicate hand to her mouth. She seemed more youthful right there, reminiscing about the past. “Everyone would think of you as trouble maker. But at least that still remains the same.” Aretha clicked her tongue, as she pulled away the shirt from her being. “A maid is meant to clean and I made sure they did their jobs. Tis not in the wrong. They were lazy in my point of view.” Nila walked over to her daughter’s closet, opening the wooden doors. She pulled out a gown of black and silver holding it up. Without her daughter’s consult she placed it on her bed for her to wear. “So cruel you are, love. You used to be so sweet and gentle. And here I am wondering what happened to my little baby?”

Aretha looked into the mirror, catch a glance at her mother. “I grew up. That’s all to it.” Aretha walked over to where her mother was and collected the gown. “But Aretha, you have grown so crude. What honestly made you even try to start an argument with the dragon?”
“It was a test,” she lied smoothly never skipping a beat. She really was attempting to see what pressed his buttons. She learned of how to deal with people after learning their weak points. And one of his was the mentioning of his people. Though she would have to lean far from that subject, the warning he spoke of still made her shiver.

“I wanted to see if what he spoke was true. Usually befuddled people make a mistake in their talk and compromise everything they stated. I was seeing if it held true with the dragon. I still wait to see if his actions follow up his speech.”

Nila walked up behind her daughter, helping her tie the back of the dress but an exaggerated expression was in place. “A test? Don’t you think he could see behind such frivolous things? You underestimated him and made yourself look silly. Now was it worth it?”

Aretha made not attempt to reply because she already knew the answer. Instead she spun in the dress. The sides and back of the gown were black, while the bodice styled top provided extra support to the bust. She fingered a white dagget sleeved chemise top, adjusting it’s place on her shoulders. The chemise had an elastic neckline that fall around her bare shoulders and the sleeves trimmed in black and each arm has a black bow made of ribbon on it. It was a beautiful dress that was given to her long ago and she never seemed to wear it much.
Her mother began to play with her hair, braiding it carefully and forcing her to sit down in a chair near her night stand. “So you know you much apologize for your grievances?” Aretha waved her hand in acceptance, putting in pearl and rhinestone earrings. The necklace she left alone, not enjoying the heavy metal around her neck. It made her feel as if she would choke at times.

Nila had braided her hair into a long braid that fell between her shoulder blades. “Where is your crown?”, she had asked. But Aretha stared at her mother so blankly that the queen just lifted her hands in defeat. She knew Aretha had no interest in expensive things just like she, but there were times she just wished her daughter would indulge herself. Even just a little.

Aretha, putting on white slippers followed the queen out of her room. Aretha was confused when she saw that her mother was not going to the court rooms. However confusion was turned into a giddy joy when she saw that the meeting was to be held outside in the gardens. Siddel caught her eye from where he sat and smiled slyly. Oh yes, he was making sure she would keep her word. An inward sigh bounced her her chest as she took her seat next to her mother. Her gaze traveled through all the members presented and stopped when Hama and Agatha came into view. Just like her mother had promised, Kuris was in Hama’s lap playing with the man. He was filled with a child like wonder, and searched the male’s large hand in search of a missing object which had vanished. She stared at Agatha who didn’t seem concerned in the least and it made her wonder if maybe he wasn’t as evil as she thought before.

Apologize… she twitched when a small voice echoed in her mind. Licking her bottom lip, she prepared herself. “Lord...Hama. I apologize for my outburst earlier. I was being foolish and daft. I hope you can find it in your mercy to forgive me.”

Hama looked up at Aretha and smiled. "Of course dear princess. and if you feel the need to stay quiet i will not force your words but I would appreciate your opinion on what we discuss. Any opinion." His eyes flicked to Siddell. he couldn't know but he likely suspected what was going on. Her brother did keep giving her odd little looks.

Kurtis had been practicing magicking away a small coin and now he was ready. "aunty Aretha!" He showed her the coin then waving his fingers vanished it rather smoothly. He was grinning, his mother smiling and Hama nodded . Before she could say anything Kurtis went to his aunt and reached up to her sleeve and reappeared the coin pretty well. His palming needed work but he was a natural with it.

hama coughed and Kurtis looked around. Agatha was standing looking away her chair having vanished to her place. Kurtis jumped. "oh!" They had both shed their crowns and he was in much more comfortable clothing now. Kurtis took his mother's and aunt's hands and led them to their places. he helped them sit then took his place between them.

Hama smiled watching the boy then caught Aretha's eye again and winked. he looked bored now. he still had his knee raised on an empty chest and he held his face with his fist watching everyone. while he waited an arrangement he had made earlier began to develop. A huge human warrior stood behind him silently waiting. He was joined by a very tall female Dark elf, a light elf male, a dwarf male, an truly huge Orc female, and a ruby Amgi that was far bigger than most of his fellows. The other races sent theirs in as well and everyone was questioning why there were blocks of wood, stone, and metal waiting behind them. Hama looked at Patis who looked around, checked with his people, then nodded.

Hama stood. "my friends. soon the lovely Queen Nila will be supplying us with a perfectly scrumptious dinner. Until then i have prepared a bit of a demonstration. I have brought fellow warriors from each race out to assist me." He pointed at the wooden block and then grabbed it while the Jade Dragon and the chest vanished. he lay the block on two smaller stone blocks at waist level. "First i am letting everyone use their preferred weapon..May i borrow someone's sword?" No one was willing. Hama sighed. "fine." He waved his hand the chest reappeared then pulled out a evil looking high steel sword. At people's looks he shrugged. "I asked for a normal blade."

"Anyway let's begin. Sir?" The man nodded and pulled out his sword. he took a moment then swung his blade, burying it in in the wooden by several inches. "leave it please." The two elves followed with their light blades which buried themselves to an identical level, nearly splitting the wood. The dwarf's axe got stuck about the same as the human's and the orc's mace just made a heavy dent, while the Amgi's diamond blade left a deep gash but no more. The other races were all about the same. Soon the block was sprouting weapons. Hama nodded and had everyone take back their weapons then turned the block over and let everyone try with his blade. They all did about the same, though the elves were several inches deeper than everyone else. Hama nodded. "Impressive my friends. Now I am going to show you something." he set the block to the side and got an untouched block into place. he stood for a moment then unleashed himself slicing the block in half. everyone one of the warriors stared at him in awe. "that was Triple black oak!" it was a notoriously hard wood that usually took several axes to drop it's trees. Hama merely shrugged.

He had the presentation continue. The stones block were naturally stronger, but Hama seemed able to cut anything before him in half. Each time he had them all try with his sword but they could never duplicate his results. The same was true of the metal blocks and finally they were all exhausted. he had them wwait for a bit longer "is there any doubt that i am the strongest here?" the warriors especially shook their heads. The cleanly sliced blocks spoke of his monumental strength. he nodded and went to the armored dummy and gave it a slash. It not only did nothing the blade crumbled to shrapnel at his feet.

after letting everyone stare in awe Hama struck it lightly. 'Rezda have amongst twice the strength of the elves. the high pressure. meaning they are close to myself and my fellows. But this I will tell you. even a a full grown dragon cannot penetrate that armor...and." He closed his eyes for a moment and his head became that of a Dragon as he released a jet of green flame so bright as to be blinding and so hot it made everyonw sweat. When he stopped the armor was unharmed and more importantly so was the dummy.

He bowed smirking then went to the weapons case. He took out the sword. First he tried the blade on it's own armor. Didn't even leave a dent. Then he had more blocks brought up. he tossed the sword to the human as he set the wooden block on it's end and indicated a cross slice. "near the top please."

The man obeyed and a moment later there was a perfect square of wood at his feet. He handed the blade of and the elves did the same thing, as did the dwarves, the Orcs, the Amgi, and the others. These weapons were a marvel. they repeated the performance with the other blocks, and soon there were no more. Hama walked the table showing them the unmarked, undamaged blade that had not even lost a bit of it's edge. He lay the sword before Patis. "if you do as i suggest then that sword and those like it will hew our foe to bits before he even realizes it's happened."

Hama then sent the warriors to eta while eh sat and the dinner arrived and he tucked in letting the discussion move around him again. he wanted to know what everyone thought. The might of these weapons, of the armor, could not be denied. it would be so very useful...

Hama cleared his throat. "If any of you are thinking of cutting a side deal or tricking the others, Mt. Drno is currently under the guard of a small but dangerous thunder of Dragons."

Everyone nodded as they resumed their meals, a little shaken at his foresight.

Aretha played with the food on her plate, a haze of immersed tact keeping her from eating. She was hungry now, more than before but she could only think in numbers instead of her appetite. She found it interesting that the metal was so invulnerable yet she worried. She looked at Kurtis, seeing him also play with his food. More as trying to make the peas on his plate disappear. Amused, she poked his arm to get his attention. "Hey, I don't think your mother would appreciate you trying make the peas vanish into oblivion." Kurtis looked up, eyes wide. "Don't tell. Pwease?" Aretha pretended to mull over the thought, sometimes reaching out to tap her sister just to give him a fright. "Only if you teach me the trick." The boy seemed more than happy to do so. He held the coin up high for her to see and reached over with his empty hand, taking the coin between his thumb and forefinger. Turning his hand over, her rubbed his fingers together and slowing opened his palm.

She blinked and took his hand, the coin was gone. She looked to the floor trying to make a logical explanation on why the coin had disappeared. "Show me again." Kurtis went over the trick over and over again, sometimes the coin appearing in the most queer of places. And she too had tried herself, only with no luck. Biting the inside of her cheek, she tried once more only for the silver metal to fall into her lap. Growling in frustration, she gave up and handed over the metal piece to her nephew who had been laughing at her pathetic attempts. "Yew c-can't do it!" He continued to tease her and was actually quote proud he could do something his aunt couldn't. "Oh shh. It's a simple trick, I'm just...tired. That's all."

Kurtis frowned and glared at Aretha, until she glanced away, humming. Honestly she just didn't know how he did it and admitting to a 2 year old that he had something over her was shameful. However when Kurtis had forgotten about his aunt she thought over the presentation. Hama showed excellent strength and ability that none of the warriors could equal. And while the armor and weapons were what would be their greatest attribute in the battles to come, she still just thought something could go wrong. "Siddel is busy speaking to another, maybe he won't notice...", she pondered.

"How many soldiers from each nation would be needed so that all of them are protected by the armor? We are estimating thousands if not millions of the enemy attacking the men all at once. Not only would they have to be skilled in have a precise killing blow the first time but they would need to be swift enough to dodge more than one attack at once." Aretha kept her voice to a minimum only so that the people closest to her would be able to hear and Siddel had not noticed in the slightest.

But as she thought more questions bubbled and she continued on. "And what about choosing warriors? They would have to be tested before going into training. Many elite don't deserve the right to the title and only think of themselves. A fluke is what carried them to being the best and if face in a real battle would risk others by simple mistakes. So not only would an assessment of dexterity is needed but also something that can bring out their best and worst qualities. No one needs a coward to keep them strong in battle, so how would this go about?"

She quieted when more than the group she thought was in ear view turned to her. Her family included. The King and Queen didn't seem bother but some of the officials showed no acceptance of her thoughts. She nearly had brought some accursed fate on all of them and they most likely wished her to be quiet. Aretha squirmed and looked down at her hands, nerves taking her to hold her tongue.

Hama smiled. 'Excellent questions Your grace. My answer has many faces. the first is the Wedge of Tunath." he displayed an image of the infamous mountain valley that narrowed into a wedge that only one being at a time could pass through. He turned the image showing the rather wide passages on either side. He gestured to the desert side passage. "If we put a small force here and draw the Rezda in as the demonstrate then retreat both into wedge, and my brethren and I shall rescue the others and join the main armies here. He pointed at the mountains plans and ridges above, around, and behind the wedge.

He then pointed at the wide opening behind the wedge. "If we place our elite forces here, complete dragons, as the Rezda come our forces can spear, hack and slash them apart one at a time and we dragons can burn away there bodies and force them back as needed. At the same time we dragons will carry other elites to destroy Rezdi and their riders as we can and sow discord amongst the enemy while your archers and war weapons launch constantly dwindling their numbers. The Wedge is perfect as it is right by the edge of the desert so they will not reach it for some time but is easily defensible. The mountains that create it are also so high and strong even the Rezda cannot simply bypass it or use their water magic against it. The Amgi and the Dwarves will help protect our elites in the passage."

He stretched his arms. "as to the elites we want warriors, of any sex, who can work together, exhibit skills with all weapons, and most importantly prove able to consistently kill a Rezda."

Duncan spoke up this time. "And just how will we test that?"

Hama shrugged. "We've captured one thousand of them. their entire scouting party. They will serve as excellent targets. They have to be killed anyway so they might as well be useful in death as well. They can't be rehabilitated, they cannot be trusted. We have been trying since we captured them. Even using the most powerful magics. they are so bent on revenge and blood they just want to kill. "

No one seemed comfortable with this. Hama smiled and opened the chest again and reached in pulling out a giant of a Rezda who was snarling and screaming fighting against massive mighty chains trying to break free and quite plainly kill them all. Hama had the Amgi cast a simple translation spell, though he made sure Kurtis could not hear the evil worse the creature was saying. it only took three minutes for Hama to see they had the idea. He gagged the beast with another padded chain.

he then walked along pointing out the weak points again. 'These creatures are far too dangerous and much much too angry to ever be trusted. And I remind you they are coming to slaughter us all. Does everyone agree?" He received nods but his eyes were solely on Aretha. "what say you princess?"

Aretha appalled, pressed herself deeper into the cushions of the chair. In discomfort she eyed the creature warily, her nails digging into the material of her dress. The guards at the entrance of the garden had fallen back in their own fear, and raised their spears if anything were to happen.
Somehow the cry of war seemed much more alive than ever before now that she had seen a Rezda face to face, and she trembled at the thought. Even though it was gagged, the presence of it’s fury was suffocating.

“I… agree as well. But how much do you know of the extent of their powers? I recall that you say they are ruled by a king and have only have one purpose: to kill. But what if it’s possible that they are more controlled than having independent thought.”

She took in a breath, wondering if her questions had a ridiculous turn to them. “If instead they are controlled and fueled by their king’s own anger, perhaps that is why they seem so mindless? It makes no sense why they keep on killing and killing and find no satisfaction. If they were able to ever kill off all the people and were only left to themselves, they would surely destroy one another.”

Some agreed but not all, it still seemed dubious. The murmuring of the delegates filtered the outdoor area. No one was able to sit comfortably in their seats and held expressions of disgust and fright. This would be the enemy? This was what they would face? The same thought echoed throughout everyone’s mind. How could they be able to successfully kill anything if they were blind to what they did?

Aretha vexed yet fascinated, wanted to reach out and touch the creature. Once in it’s life it was someone with feelings other than hatred. Maybe a family and a life, and that was taken away in the blink of an eye. Forcing herself to turn away from such ideas, she looked back to Hama. He didn’t seem bothered whatsoever, calmy showing everyone the Rezda. “And what if that plan fails? What if they see past your trick? Because who would honestly go through such a tight passage in where if an army were to attack? Have you seen a pattern in their attacks and noted them? oOr even the way they think alone, apart from their brethren? If my theory is wrong and they can think on their own, at least one of them could see what was going on. And the possibility still being seen still is thrown in -...”

Aretha was cut off in mid-sentence when she heard a large ‘thump’ behind her. Spinning round in her chair, her mother was laying in her father’s arms, nearly fainted. Patis was holding her up right, shouting at the guards to call for a doctor but she waved him off. “I will be alright, just a dizzy spell.” But from her reddened face, she seemed to be weak from the sun’s rays. Ducan had stood from his seat and went over to his father, asking if mother had be taken inside to rest.

The king seemed ready to leave, carrying his queen when someone cried out amongst the slight chaos. “What do you plan to do with the beast before us?” Some of the other’s shouted for it to be killed and Aretha curiously eyed Hama wondering what his choice would be. Siddel stood from his spot, raising his voice above the noise. “I’m sure Hama will gladly show us a live presentation of how to slay it. The weak points have been numbered now let’s see it in action.”

Hama nodded. "all fine questions. Jesa?" The Amgi stood nervously and cast a protective spell. Hama explained. "This spell blocks it's connection to the rest of it's fellows thus it has only it's own thoughts. His name was Frederick Biddle. A simple fisherman. No wife, no kids, parents are dead of a disease long ago,. he was bitten by a Rezda twenty one years ago. He has no one to actually be angry but his fellow Rezda.. But...." Hama gripped the chain holding the crearure in place and unclipped it from the ground. the beast instantly leapt froward trying to attack anyone. Finding that it could not wrest the chain from Hama it turned on him. he let it come and knocked it to the ground with an acrobatic kick.

he refastened the chain. "personally i think they have all been cursed by the Old One who created them. Angry by being forgotten and replaced it is using these creatures as it's new power base. i cannot prove that but it does explain alot. Tzechtl Rha is not leading our friend Frederick here. I am not sure who is but it is certainly not Frederick. It is is someone or something made the ultimate killers and gave them just enough predatory instinct to be massively dangerous, but not even brain to to pose a threat to their creator."

He touched Frederick's arm. "i've heard the same arguments. but if that were true then the colonies and groups far from their king's reach would be dead from the infighting. But that is just it. they don't attack each other. They have no political will, no ambition, no need for it. And the Amgi and the other magicians can tell you we have tried everything to cure them,. Frederick here included. Nothing as worked. i ahte to say it but we have little choice."

"That is the beauty of the trick. it doesn't matter. There is no way around the mountains and the Wedge is actually in the only valley that you can get any significant force through. " The military and geography advisers nodded agreeing. "They will go through because they have been taunted. And our discord attacks will push them toward the wedge. We may guide them back onto the desert or into each other but always we will lead them to the wedge. The stragglers or free thinkers? if they do indeed survive, and all our experience shows they do not, then if they attack other wise were will have our elite archers and spearmen. If they want peace we will genuinely give them peace. At least my people will. i swear it. And i honestly hope there are those who do. if we can get them to fight each other- Queen Nila!"

He watched with deep concern as she was lifted. "I will do as Their Majestys command. It is her castle and he is the King. i would not shed blood, even that of a Rezda at a peaceful meeting without leave of she who commands the castle, or he who rules the city."

This silenced the outcry. Hama shook his head. "Forgive me my Lord my Lady. But i must have an answer on such a matter. But not now. he can wait. Go ensure the Queen is not ill. If there is anything I can do. Until then the Rezda will return to his cell." he pushed Frederick into the chest where he vanished. Then he turned to look at the Royal family still concerned for the Queen.

Shaken, she went to her mother placing a hand on her head. "She's unbearably warm. She may be running a fever." Patis seemed to barely hear her speak, still cradling his wife. He brushed Nila's hair from her face, murmuring for her to talk to him. All of their children had gotten up, wondering what was going on with their mother. Kurtis grabbed the queen's sleeves, trying to shake her awake. Agatha had to drag them back and calm him down as he began sobbing. Queen Nila had closed her eyes, her chest rattling as she struggled to breath.

Patis stood up, chair falling back with a clatter and left the gardens. The queen laid limply in his arms. Martha and Lilly, the third and forth oldest looked at each and immediately followed. Everyone stared to where the king had been, questioning what had happened. Agatha, holding her son, whispered harshly for Aretha to speak. Ducan and Siddel, where already speaking their goodbyes while the officials gave their blessings for the queen's health. She coughed, grasping her hands together. "I speak for all my siblings when I say this. We apologize to leave so soon and to cut short this meetings of dire need. Hopefully, you can all occupy yourselves with assembling those you see worthy in this battle. Once more, we deeply apologize for the inconvenience."

Taking swift leave she and the rest the family quickly left, but not before she hesitated and turned back to Hama. "My lord, if you wish to accompany us and see what is of the queen's health we will glady accept the comfort." She rushed after Ducan, who took lead and followed the angry yells of the king, demanding for someone to find a healer or doctor. When they finally made it to the queen and king's room, they found it tightly shut. Lilly was pacing with a book in her hands while Martha made sure to be her shadow. "Do you know what has happened to mother?", Siddel asked, nervousness plaguing his trembling voice. "No, the doctor only just arrived and when he saw her, he told everyone to stay out of the room. Father though stayed."

Aretha tryed to reassure her brother and sisters, and possibly herself. "I'm sure she only grew faint from the sun's heat. She rarely stays outside for long and the extended time was unusual. Not only to add that she saw the Rezda, it made everyone's heart jump." But she was unsure herself. Playing with her braid or fidgeting, her body shook in ridgid movement.

Hama had agreed to come but nor before speaking to Jesa and the other magicians. They began to investigate the area and the castle for poisons or spells or other unseen problems that could have possibly harmed the queen.

Now he was sitting with the rest of the Royal family entertaining the little ones with magic tricks. They were worried about their grandmother but the lie that she was ok and their own boredom had set them to fidgeting. Hama had their attention and they were not about to ignore the chance to talk to and play with a real live Dragon. They played with his hair got him to change his hands into Dragon hands, showing off his talons, they convinced him to breath some fire. All in all they were worrying in their own way and Hama was using them to keep his own mind calm while he went through what could have happened.

Agatha was pacing by the door to her parent's chambers. They all loved her father but Nila was the foundation of not only the family but of the whole Royal family itself and thus the whole nation. She was the most beloved Queen to not actually sit on the Throne in history. She wa sgrateful that Hama had her son and her younger brothers and sisters well distracted. She didn't need questions just now. But if somebody hurt her mother...maybe they could see if Hama could take off a head with that interesting kick he had done to the Rezda....

Hama sighed. he knew it had not been the Rezda. No one else knew it but there had been a protective shield spell around the thing from the moment he had brought it out. No magic, disease, scent, pr any other thing or being in existence could have got through it without immediately killing the Rezda as it was fueled by the Rezda itself and based on his own water power making ti completely magic and air tight. What had hurt the Queen?

Aretha kept a watchful eye on everyone in the room. The worry they had absorbed from prolonged ideas and possibilities of what had happened to the queen, made them jumpy. And she couldn't join in that fickle behavior. Her own nerves were eating away at the logical side of her and her desire to remain calm was fading. Her mother could be dying! And here she was, meaning against the wall with a stone cold expression. She cared deeply for her mother but the wall of defence she had built kept her from breaking out the unwilling sobs that stayed in her throat.

Rubbing her throat, she massaged the hard form of air trapped. It was deathly quiet, excluding the children and Agatha's clicking heels. Besides that, time seemed to have stop. The halls were still of noise and the usual chirping of the birds from opened windows had ceased. It was as if the world had gone down in prayer for the queen's life. Minutes kept moving by it felt like hours.

When the golden handle of the door turned, everyone's eyes were glued to the doctor who stood in it's path. Siddel rushed at the man, grabbing him by the collar and lifted him up in the air. "What the hell has become of my mother?!" His tone was a wild one, brimming with a loathful and murderous intent. Aretha pushed herself from the wall and took hold of Siddel's arm. "If you I'll the man, we shall never know. So put him down and let him speak." Siddel glared at his younger sister but obeyed and dropped the apple-rounded fellow. He stumbled onto his feet, brushing off himself. Though he was the size of a tall dwarf, he still owned a significant amount of pride.

With a haughty huff, he looked to Agatha. "Princess, your mother shall live. She only fainted to not taking better care of herself. Lack of sleep and exhaustion finally took it's toll today. I suggest she stays in bed for a couple day to regain her strength. Whatever maids you have, make sure they keep her wellfed and she has her sleep. She should be up and runing soon enough."

A sigh of relief passed out of her, and she closed her eyes. She knew her mother would be fine but the doctor spoke up again. "Though the king won't leave her side. He is determined to watch over her until she is back into full health." The doctor gravely looked at the oldest among the twelve his bald head shining in the light. "You will have to take up the responsiblity of the throne or convince your father otherwise to wake from his state if he wants to take care of his kingdom."

The little man bowed and took his departure, leaving everyone to stare at Agatha in question.

Agatha froze. THe relief when everyone heard Nila would be alright was palpable. hama was the most evident as his huge shoulders fell. She looked at ehr family then turned and began barking.

"DUncan Siddell go inform the others."

"but that-"

She flashed her hand across in a slash snapping and pointing at Duncan. "i said go. It is your duty as a prince to inform them that the Royal Family is not disrupted and we will reconvene in the morning for breakfast, in the garden as per our mother's wishes." Her face was hard and though they started to argue, the boys backed down rushing to obey. She looked at the brother and sister above Aretha. "Liam, Gretchen. Go get the maids and cooks. have them provide anything mother needs. And help father out of his robes and crown. He is not to be in his royal garments while in this state.'

They nodded and went off. Sweet Gretchen A wonderful lady and so beautiful. but weak. Her heart had a fault in it. She could never be queen. She did not desire the throne but it was still a shame. She would have been a fine Queen if her own body had not betrayed that possibility.

She looked at a guard. "You. Your name?"

He stamped his feet and pounded his spear down. "High Guard Second Class Xavier Quint Your Grace."

"Wrong. Your name is Elite Guard First Class."

He blinked. "But Majesty I was only placed here-"

her eyes narrowed. "Are you arguing with me?"

"No never Your Grace!"

"Good. This door holds the heart and soul of our very nation. you are to die before you let anyone not authorized by myself or my sister Aretha within. Am I clear?" He stomped and pounded his spear saluting.

"To the death Your Grace."

"Good. Now I want you to tell your nearest fellow to bring the captain of the High Guard and the Commander of the Elite Guard here. At once." He saluted again and went to obey.

Agatha looked at the maids who were watching in awe. "Fix your jaws. Take the children to their rooms. it has been along day and they need a wash. Kurtis I will be there soon to say good night. Children say goodnight to lord Hama."

The children all chorused goodbyes and many demanded hugs from the Dragon who onliged them kindly. As they went he watched them go then looked back at the princess waiting. he sensed he would have orders of his own.

Xavier reappeared with the Captain , who was in golden armor, and the Commander, in silver, both looked very concerned. They started to speak but she cut them off."My father is indisposed for the moment. Commander Juba."

The taller of the two, nearly as tall as Hama actually, and built like an ox, with the ugliest face in the kingdom, saluted and growled. "Your grace?" Agatha pointed at Xavier. "This man has been transferred to your guard. he has heard too much to be only a high Guard. You will swear him in and take his oath now before me."

Juba blinked and looked at Captain Tavel who shrugged. Juba grabbed Xavier by the hair and snarled. "Do you swear by the blood of your father's the bone of your mothers, the heart in your body, the sword in your hand, and the spear you wield that you will die in the service of your King?"

Xavier blinked but nodded. "I swear it."

Juba backhanded him across the jaw. "then say the Oath. Say the Oath of Death."

Xavier gulped but obeyed. "I Xavier Quint will give all i am, have been, and shall be in the service of my lord and Master King Patis Redsword, Ruler of of Ethlberg. His death will not come while i draw breath. I swear this by all that is . Both holy and vile. And may the Dragon's themselves take all i love should i fail him. May Zoar and all the gods keep my soul until my task is complete."

Juba studied him for a long moment then released him. "it is done Your Grace."

She nodde.d "Take him opout and see to it that these rooms are guard on all sides, both above and below as well. You will not let in anyone not of Royal Blood or authorized by myself or Aretha. is that understood?" Both Elite Guards saluted. "Good. go. And see him properly outfitted before he takes post. An Elite Guard should be properly attired." They left.

She looked at Captain Tavel who looked back calmly. "I have stolen a man from you."

He shook his head. "They are the King's men thus your men Your grace. I cannot lose what is not mine."

She smiled, bur it was a cold smile. "You are a good man Captain Tavel. Why is it you never sought the silver armor and the black spear?"

he shook his head. "I did not have the proper bearing Your Grace. i displeased the former Commander. Now i am too old."

Agatha nodded. "Captain i want you to call out the Red Guard." He blinked. "Your Grace?"

"You heard me. Call otu the Red Gaurd. I suspect that soon my father will be riding to war. He will need his master warriors at his side."

Tavel bowed. "Of course your grace. Is there anything else Your Grace?"

"Yes. You are to double the guard."

"Where Your Grace?"

"The whole of Ethl Castle."

He blinked but saluted. "If Your Grace wishes I will be about her commands."

"I do wish it." Tavel saluted yet again and marched out.

"Lord Hama."

Hama stepped forward. "Your Grace?" She smiled. "You are not a subject to this kingdom so i cannot command you. But i would appreciate it if you would stay close. To either Aretha or myself. I may need your counsel, and I trust her's above all others. But for now i am going to put my son to bed. And i have another request for you.'

"You have but to ask Your Grace."

She nodded. "i want you to find the first of these elite warriors you discussed. Find him or her and begin their training. I want them to be at their very best. And when you deem them ready they will kill the Rezda once known as Frederick."

"Your Grace there is no time before-"

She smirked. "I know what that chest is Hama. Please don't think me a fool."

She smiled back. "I think many things of you Your Grace. But never have I considered you a fool."

She nodded. "Good. Then please. train our warrior. Begin our war against the Rezda. Their presence has threatened my family. I will not let that pass by unpunished.'" She glared up at him.

He spoke softly. So softly only she and Aretha could hear him as he growled in his dragon voice. "Then i shall forge you a warrior able to destroy nations."

Agatha nodded. "Good. " She moved past Hama and looked at her sister. "Aretha. I need you close until mother is well and father returns to the throne. i cannot trust the others to stay calm or strong. i need you." She patted her sister's cheek. "i need your words." She hugged her sister then left Hama and Aretha alone.

Hama turned toward her his face in shadow as the torches fluttered with the shutting door. He looked human but somewhat sinister. "Your sister is wise. I will find this warrior. but I wonder this...' he moved toward Aretha. His presence was intoxicating. He smelled of a thousand thousand things. All of them exotic and delicious. His eyes were deeper than he pools at the base of Ethlberg. His voice caressed her ears.

"After I forge this warrior. After we win this war. Upon whose head will the crown lie? Not Duncan. Not Siddelle. Certainly not Liam or Gretchen. The skeins of fate are already woven. The next Ruler of Ethlberg castle shall be a Queen. And she is already of ruling age. I...wonder...who...could...it.be."

He was gone. after his final word he had moved with impossible speed or simply vanished not even making the flames flutter. Fara way the sounds of the Dragon Doors slamming echoed through the halls. The silence remained

Back
Top Bottom