Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Love Remains The Love (LustLove & sexywriter777)

LustLove

Star
Trembling, slender fingers dialed the number that was hopefully still in use. Thea Anderson needed to make this phone call, regardless of how much she was against it or how much her current boyfriend disapproved. But this call was an important one and she couldn’t hold off doing this any longer. Her deep brown eyes traveled up to the clock that sat on the wall, ticking consistently with an eerie sound. She was settled in one of the cushioned chairs close to the edge of the bed. The room was extremely cold, enough where she’d have to wear a light jacket to keep herself comfortable warm. There were piles of blankets on the bed, probably too much, but she wanted to be certain that her son was comfortable in these unsuitable conditions. Paul had left the room to go grab something for the both of them to eat and a nurse wouldn’t come in for to check up on her patient for at least another half hour. This gave Thea enough time to make the very phone call that she dreaded. No parent ever wanted to receive a call explaining how their child ended up in the hospital; it was terrifying and make her sick just thinking about it. However, the deed had to be done and soon. It was difficult though; to make an attempt of calling someone she had bothered speaking to in the last few years. And out of all reasons to call, it would be to inform him that his son was really sick and he needed to be present. She wasn’t too sure of whether or not she could go through with it.

She ran a hand through her dirty blonde hair then looked up and over to, Kaleb, her son lying in the hospital bed. He was sleeping at the moment, peacefully she hoped after the rough day that he had experienced. Just two days before, he’d been admitted to the hospital after collapsing in class when he had a coughing fit and had stopped breathing. This wasn’t the first time in the past couple of years that the small boy had gotten sick, however, it was the first time that he has been admitted to the hospital. From the last time he had a doctor’s appointment to now, his health had increasingly became worse. Thea was completely out of her element and she didn’t know what she was supposed to do. Just trust the doctors and hope that everything was going to be fine, that they would take care of her son? Maybe, but she couldn’t help get past that it may not get all better which was why she felt compelled to call her ex. The very last person she wanted to have any contact with.

He left them over five years ago. Their son had just turned a year old a few months earlier and then he packed up and moved away. Thea was a heart broken but she didn’t necessarily stop him from leaving either. She had been the reason after all, committing the unthinkable when she felt like her relationship was going nowhere. It was how she met Paul and has ironically been with him not too long after her ex-boyfriend decided going away would be the better option. She’s always regretted the decision of cheating on him and it’s made her feel terribly guilty. But that didn’t make up for him not being there for his child. Sure, he sent money every month and occasionally talked to the boy on the phone but Kaleb was six years old now and he needed a father. She’d been furious and fed up with her ex but now, she had no choice but to speak with him. She could have easily told him a long time ago about Kaleb’s condition but what would be the purpose? What would he do or say to make the situation any better? He would probably only have made it worse and so she selfishly kept it all a secret. Obviously that wasn’t an option any longer. Their son was in critical condition, and if something were to happen, he needed to be there. She wouldn’t be okay if she left the two of them separate during this crisis.

After staring at the number for several minutes and looking back and forth between her son and the cell phone, she realized it had to be done. Despite any harsh feelings she had towards the father of her son, he deserved to know exactly what was going on with Kaleb. She touched the call icon and held the phone up to her ear, waiting for an answer.

Grim Inganni never anticipated that call.

It had been five years. Five years since Thea had cheated on him. Five years since he had moved away. Five years since he had abandoned his son. Five years since he had moved into this new city, built himself an architectural career. Five years of forgetting Thea Anderson. But in the back of his mind, he knew karma would come back to hit him. And apparently, tonight was the night.

He had never thought much about his son. He regretted leaving, of course, to a certain extent. He didn't regret leaving Thea. She had betrayed him, and that wound had never healed properly. But his son... He wasn't sure if he should hope that they never meet, or to meet soon. A boy needs a father, but Grim wasn't sure if he could raise that boy.

Often enough, he just put things out of his mind.

He had just gotten off work and was getting into his car, brushing the black hair from brilliant green eyes, the first thing people noticed about him. He was a tall, well-built guy- obviously not a bodybuilder, but he tried to stay in shape. His black hair was kept combed out of his face, except when his girlfriend Elizabeth saw fit to mess it up. He was anticipating a nice night of relaxation- Elizabeth was working late, and so he felt it was plenty of time to catch up on that novel he had been meaning to read.

His life seemed good for now. Perhaps he had managed to put everything behind him and escape, for once.

Then his phone rang. He was halfway into the car and he stopped, pulling it from his pocket. He read the name on the screen and the world around him seemed to darken.

"Incoming call from Thea Anderson." The computerized voice in his Bluetooth, ever on the slow uptake, chirped. Grim locked up, mind racing. This couldn't be good.

"Accept call." He instructed reluctantly, getting into his car and closing the door. "Grim Inganni. It's been a while, Thea." He said, smooth masculine voice calm within the closed car. It always fascinated him at his ability to remain calm when internally, he was uncertain or nervous.

Thea hated the way he spoke her name. Why did he always sound so calm, as if what ever was happening was of no concern to him. It bugged her terribly but this wasn't a leisure call. She had to speak with him or else she may not have the chance to ever be this honest again. Sighing heavily into the phone, she said the first thing that came to her mind without thinking too much of her next words.

"Kaleb is in the hospital. He's really sick and... he needs you here." She said quickly. She had to refrain from saying that she needed him. She certainly didn't need Grim. He showed her just how much he cared when he abandoned her and their small child. It was understandable that he was upset with her cheating. But he didn't even bother to try and make their relationship work. She'd been brave enough to be honest with him initially by telling him the truth. She had to, Thea had loved him entirely too much to continue lying. But he hadn't shown the same faith when he decided walking out of her life was the best option. She was definitely bitter and she wasn't going to hide it.

"I can give you the address if you don't where exactly where it is." She added. She knew he lived at least a couple hours away and hadn't been back for a while.

Her words caught him off guard. His son needed him. Not that she needed him. No. She was too strong for that. And she was probably upset, and rightfully so, about his reaction all those years ago. He wasn't proud of leaving her, but didn't regret it either.

"That is disturbing news." He said simply. "I'll be there as soon as humanly possible. I'm going to want the details when I arrive. The address would be helpful, however." He said, grabbing the pad of paper in the glovebox and scrubbing down the address as she recited it. His words were clean and precise, but his calmness still remained, though she could probably hear the hints of worry in his tone. He might not have been close to his son, but that was part of him. Once it was finished he nodded slightly. "Okay then. I'll be there by ten o'clock tonight." He told her. Then, with a hissing sigh, he added. "Thea... I'm sorry I haven't been there for him."

In the same way that she never said she needed him, he would not say that he was sorry for his reaction to her unfaithfulness. Because, at this time, he wasn't. She had not yet earned his regret.

"Okay." With a nod of her head and a gentle sigh, she ended the call. Thea honestly couldn't have gotten off the phone soon enough.

Paul had warned her making the call would be dangerous. Long forgotten feelings of all the pain and anger she felt would suddenly resurface and at a time when she was already fragile, it wouldn't be good. Thea had believed he was just intimidated that she was willingly contacting Grim and somehow their encounter would push her back into his arms. She's told him plenty of time however, in many different ways that she wasn't ever going to leave him. He had good reason though, considering she was the very man that she had an affair with. That didn't matter to Thea. He was there for her, when she had absolutely no one else to run to. The love if her life had up and left her and she was forced to care for a baby all on her own. If was a challenge with another person to help and doing it all on her own was even worse. She could care for Kaleb by herself now but back then, with all the crying and sleepless and the jobs to had to pick up to make ends meet, it was time. For a while, Paul was just a friend. Someone she could take to, a babysitter if ever needed, then eventually a lover when she grew lonely. He understood what she was going through, having been in nearly the same position two years earlier with the divorce from his wife. He never turned away and she would forever be in his debt. Besides, she loved Paul. Maybe not as much as she used to love Grim, but enough to never turn her back on him.

Now that an unbearable weight had been lifted from her shoulders, she relaxed against the back of the hospital chair and watched Kaleb's chest rise and fall. Thea noticed the few times his rhythm was shaky and when the machine signaled his breathing slowed. It tore her apart, more so than dealing with Grim. There was nothing she could do but sit back and pray that the hospital would take care of her boy. Revive his health back to the way it was when he was smaller so he could be normal once again.

He didn't realize how much it hurt, remembering the woman he loved- he could hear her bitterness in the tone of her voice. Hear her hurt. And it was painful. Painful, after all this time trying to forget.

Then he clenched his jaw and reached for his phone. The past needs to stay right where it is. Behind him. He selected Elizabeth's number from speed dial, and left a brief voicemail when she didn't pick up.

"Hey Lizzy-girl, I'm leaving town for a while. I don't know when I'll get back. Apparently Kaleb has become sick and Thea believes I need to be there. I'd much rather be here, but..." He sighed slightly. "Part of me feels I should make an effort. He is my son. I'll call you when I get there. Love you." Then he hung up, pulling the car into drive and heading for the highway. He was in no hurry to get there, but still he drove quickly.

It took him twenty minutes to get home, then thirty to pack. Then he was out the door again, not bothering to change from the black suit and white shirt he was wearing. He pulled out of the drive and started the route toward the other city. As he did so, thoughts filled his mind.

He did abandon her. He did leave her. But... He hadn't been able to forgive her. Yes, times were tough. Yes, he had very little time for her, being a student and a father and trying to make ends meet. Couldn't she see that was all for her? But no. No, she couldn't. She went off and slept with another man, because their relationship wasn't going anywhere. Because he didn't pay enough attention to her.

When everything. Everything. Had been for her.

He realized he was speeding, gripping the steering wheel. He tried to relax, but the emotion kept flowing forth.

Thea glanced up to the clock hanging high on the wall, seeing just how long it would take for Grim to come to the hospital. She still had a couple of hours before he would be here and she wanted to spend all of that time with Kaleb. Regardless of her son being in the hospital, she still needed to go to work. Paul didn't make enough money to solely support an entire family so she did need to keep a job. She worked as a receptionist in a law office. She made a decent amount if money and her hours weren't terribly demanding. She had to report to work at eight in the morning and was home before six in the evening. And she had weekends off. It was a good job but they needed her back and sadly she would have to go. Paul would be here though. He owned his own business and had plenty of other workers to handle day to day business which meant he could spend all day with Kaleb if she needed for him to.

She didn't even want to begin comparing Paul's reliability to Grim's. They were two entirely different men and to sum it up, Thea was thankful Paul had come into her life. She believed that her and Grim would have ended eventually. He was never home, between work and school. He supported them of course, but it just wasn't enough. It may have been selfish to seek attention from another man but things with Grim just weren't great. She wished she hadn't cheated on him and it wasn't ever something she intended but what was done was done. And she saw his true colors afterwards. It was somewhat of a blessing.

The door opened suddenly and Thea turned her head to look to the entrance. A gentle smile fell upon her lips when she saw Paul. And in his hands, some food for them both to eat while in the room. She rose from her chair and gave him a kiss on the lips and grabbed the bags from him. "I'm glad you're back." She admitted, pulling him into the room.

"Is he doing okay?" The man asked suddenly, worried that something had happened in his absence and she was there alone to deal with it. She looked upset and he figured that must have been what happened.

But Thea just shook her head and moved the table from the corner of the room and aced their food on the top. She thought she should mention to him of Grim's arrival but she didn't want to argue or even think about it herself. Instead she sat down and pulled out the food for them to eat.

After several hours of driving, Grim pulled into the parking lot of the hospital, glancing at the clock. A half hour early. He sighed. He was not looking forward to this. And hours of driving had not made it any easier on his mind.

But he forced himself from the car, straightening his suit jacket before walking toward the reception area. He paused at a desk. "Pardon me, miss." He said, and the secretary looked up.

"What can I do for you, sir?"
"I'm here to visit a Kaleb. With a K. Last name..." He paused. Had Thea left the child with his name? He assumed so. But before he could go to respond, the nurse answered.
"That's all right sir, he's in room 4A."
With a nod, Grim forced a smile. "Thank you." He said, striding away quickly, following the signs toward the A section. He found room four and lingered for a moment at the door, wondering if this was wise, if he didn't just want to turn and leave and forget this.

No. He had done that once before, and lost the love of his life and what might have been a perfect future because of it. Leaving now would sacrifice any repairs, no matter how little, that might come of this experience. Even if nothing changed between him and Thea, he would visit the boy. Something had changed. He had a responsibility to father his son.

He composed himself, raised two knuckles, and lightly rapped on the door.

In the midst of their conversation, a knock sounded at the door. Both Thea and Paul looked towards the door and her heart began thudding extremely. If it were a nurse or doctor, they would have walked into the room by now. Plus, a nurse had just come to the room only a few minutes earlier. It could only be one other person and she wasn't exactly ready to face him just yet. Paul was still unaware of her ex showing up to the hospital and now wasn't necessarily a good idea to bring that up either. She leapt from the chair and quickly went to the door, opening it slightly then slipping out.

She stared down at the tiled floors of the hospital, losing any courage she had beforehand. Thea wouldn't dare look him straight in the eyes after all this time. It might just be too painful and it was certainly too soon. "You're not supposed to be here yet." She stated, folding her arms over her chest and turning her was to the side.

Grim noticed her inability to meet his eyes. His piercing green gaze wandered over her. She had changed little. Physically anyway. But he could sense a weariness. Five years had not dampened his sense of her- he could always tell how she felt.

But he offered no comfort for her. Nor did she ask for it. Just that simple statement of fact.

"I drove faster than I meant to." He said simply. "Is my arrival at this time... A problem?" He asked quietly. He had his suspicions, that, like him, Thea had moved on to someone else. Probably someone just inside the room. Someone he didn't care to meet. "What happened, Thea? I don't find it likely that a healthy young boy would be admitted to the hospital so suddenly." He said, wondering what had occurred, what she kept from him.

Why she kept it from him.

She had changed since they time they'd seen each other face to face. Her hair was much longer and and a lighter shade back then, where now it was a darker due to her natural color growing back. She'd also gotten a hair cut and added bangs to her look. Thea had always been tall; growing up she was made from of it from time to time but it soon became an asset rather than a flaw. It was the reason why she was attracted to taller men, such as Grim. She wasn't as small as she used to be either simply because she didn't get out and be active like she was at a younger age. She was still fairly in shape.

"Yes, it is." She told him honestly. Thea's plan had been to get her boyfriend to leave the room some way or another and attempt to keep him gone for a good hour. That's was plenty of time for Grim to come in, see his son, ask some questions, then be on his way. She hadn't even been paying attention to the time but it was still far to earlier for him to have shown up. Paul wouldn't be too happy to see her ex and it would cause unnecessary tension. Of course, by now he must know something was up but as long as he stayed inside of the room, she could keep this situation under control.

Finally turning her head forwards, she gazed up and looked him in the eyes. The man she'd been afraid of facing after all this time because she didn't want to experience the pain all over again. She felt she should give him some respect however, and look him in the eye while she explained what was wrong with their son. "He's been sick for a while. He stays out of school often due to catching some kind of cold and now there's something wrong with his lungs. Fluid is built up and he can't breathe very well. He passed out during class and they rushed him hear almost immediately. The doctors are talking about giving him surgery to hopefully fix the problem so he can regain his health again." She informed him with a tired, sorrow look in her eyes.

Grim sighed softly. Her changes went unnoticed by him, either because he wasn't looking for them, or because, no matter how they change, you always see the person you once loved. It was interesting to him, that she would admit now was a bad time, when she had expected him to arrive around this time. He wasn't that early, really. But he shrugged. "I can give you whatever time you need." He said. "But I will see my son. Not doing so has been one of the bigger mistakes of my life." He said quietly, that last sentence almost a whisper.

As she explained the condition, his eyes remained locked with hers, taking in everything she said. When she finished speaking he sighed again, going to lean lightly against the door frame as he fiddled with a gold ring on his right hand, eyes dropping to the floor. It had been a gift from Elizabeth, on their one year anniversary. He always wore it, no matter what. And fiddling with it when deep in though had become a strange compulsion and habit for him.

"That is... most unfortunate." He said softly, his fingers tapping on the door frame. "I know I haven't exactly been the... best father." He began, his eyes returning to hers. "But why didn't you tell me before now?" He asked. He knew it probably wouldn't have changed much- it had taken this tragedy for him to realize what a terrible father and parent he was being, no matter how much he wanted to leave the past behind. The past was the past, but Kaleb, his son, was part of the present. Whether he liked it or not. With a soft grunt, Grim stood up straight again, his eyes still on Thea's.

"I will pay for the surgery." He said simply, going to one of the chairs across the hall. He waved tiredly at her, gesturing for her to return to the room. "Take the time you need."

Thea narrowed her eyes as he admitted being absent for his child's life. She highly doubted he felt that way at all but if there were a slim chance that his feelings were true, he arrived at a terrible time to show that he cared. She was forced to call him after all and she hadn't said more than a few words to him in the past years. Why wasn't he calling more often to check in on the person he helped create. It made her furious, especially the way he told her he was going to see his son later. He had absolutely no right. Grim would only ever be able to see his son if she allowed him to and that was the truth. He forfeited his parental rights the moment he left her to raise Kaleb all on her own.

Her eyes travelled down to his fidgeting hands, messing with a gold ring on one of his fingers. For a split second, she wondered where on earth it came from before reminding herself she didn't care. She shouldn't care. It was of no importance to her or her son so it didn't matter where the ring came from. After he sat on a chair across the hall with an offer to pay for the surgery, Thea shook her head before turning her body towards him.

"There's no need, it's already taken care of." She stated. "And before you ask why I even brought you here, I did it because I realize Kaleb may not make it out of here. The doctors explained that there's a chance that the surgery may not do much for him except prevent him from staying sick for so long. And they don't think it's a very good idea to continue giving him surgery after surgery. There's also a possibility that he may have to carry around an oxygen take for the rest of his life. The chances don't weigh out the the positive feedback he'd have from surgery but I'm still taking precautions. I thought by bringing you here, to see him in case these were his last days, it might give you a piece of mind." She explained.

Grim just looked at her for a long moment. "I see." he said quietly, a response to both her refusal of his willingness to pay for the surgery and her statement about Kaleb's condition. His eyes flicked toward the door of the room. He was willing to bet that the man who had taken his place was helping to pay for the surgery. That thought left a bitter taste in his mouth. If only he had reacted differently, this situation would be very different. Peace of mind. Yeah. he scoffed mentally. My mind was peaceful... until I got your call.

"Well then. I don't know about peace of mind, but there is something to be gained here, perhaps." he sighed, sitting in the chair, looking slightly defeated and worn. He rested his head against the wall, then felt a vibration in his pocket. Oh, good. His girlfriend was calling him as he's trying to get his ex to, at least, not hate him.

He pulled his phone from his pocket. "I have to take this." He said simply. "Take the time you need, and I will visit him afterwards." He told her, then walked a few steps away before answering.

"Hello love." He said quietly, though still sure that Thea could hear. but he didn't care. He was positive that she had moved on, and that was why she didn't want him in the room yet, so he didn't care if she knew that he had too.

"Grim! You sound exhausted." Elizabeth said on the other end.

"That's a good word for this. A five hour drive, then being told your son might not survive by your ex, all the while being denied any way you could possibly contribute to the recovery, those things don't exactly lift one's spirits. There was a reason I tried to forget all this."

"Mm. I can imagine that would be difficult. Do... do you want me to come?" She asked, sounding hesitant. Grim shook his head before it registered that she couldn't see him.

"No, that'll only make things worse. Perhaps if there is a funeral. But I don't want to needlessly take you from your work." He said.

"Grim, anything involving you is never needless." Elizabeth said, and he smiled softly.

"Thank you Liz. I should be going. I love you."

"I love you more." She teased, and hung up before he could retort. With a sigh and a sad smile, he put his phone away, and returned to his chair.

What could he possibly gain from this situation? He acted like he didn't even care that another man was paying for his son's treatment. He couldn't even show some emotion. It infuriated Thea but more than anything, it saddened her. She didn't want to feel upset though. Clearly, any vision of them ever being a happy family was ruined when she cheated and he left. She was just about to head back into the room before she heard who is was on the phone with. He referred to them as 'love' and she suddenly knew it must have been his girlfriend. He had moved on, a question she constantly ask herself. And she wasn't sure why, but that upset her far worse than him remaining emotionless concerning Kaleb. She had to admit to herself, in the far corner of her mind, she had hoped he was still single. Struggling to get past their former relationship. Or maybe she was the only way that possessed those feelings.

Thea quickly escaped into the room and closed the door quickly behind her. She sighed heavily, keeping her head down. That was until she heard a familiar voice call out her name. "Mom." Kaleb exclaimed weakly. He couldn't speak too loud because of his restricted breathing. She heard him nonetheless and a wide smile came to her face. "Hey sweetheart." She said to him, walking over to the bed and taking a seat as she grabbed a hold of her hand.

He took a few seconds to catch his breath before speaking again. "I had a crazy dream." He said to her initially. "I told dad everything, do you want to hear?" He asked, taking some more time to catch his breath.

"Of course, sweetheart. But I need to speak to your dad first. Then you can tell me everything you need for me to know." She said with a smile. She then turned to Paul and have him a signal to speak with her. She rose from the bed and went to the far side of the room to keep Kaleb from hearing everything. When he stood in front of her, she began speaking.

"I need for you to leave. And I'll spend the night here." Thea informed.

"I thought you had work tomorrow. What are you going to do, call in again?" He asked in return.

"No. I can just get ready here in the morning. You can bring my stuff to get dressed and then spend the day with Kaleb." She explained. "He's here and I don't need for you to make a scene about it. I just want you to go home for the night." She added on quickly, staring up at him while biting her lip.

He had a stern expression, upset that she'd gone and called her ex anyways but there was nothing he could do now. "Fine." He said, walking back over to Kaleb. He gave him a kiss on the forehead and ruffled his hair a bit. "See ya later, little man." He then proceeded towards the door and walked out.

Thea could tell he was angry with her but she didn't have time to deal with him. Opening the door, she looked for Grim to allow him to come inside.

Grim watched simply as the man left the room, not giving a greeting or sign of acknowledgment to the man. He didn't know him, and didn't care to. But he did wonder if he was the one that Thea had cheated on him with, all those years ago. And, if so, if he feared that one day, she might do the same to him. He smirked slightly. He wondered how their relationship had survived, if that was the case. Simply because he had been and was the only one there for her? That thought made him scowl slightly. He had been a fool to leave. The blame wasn't completely his- she had made the first transgression, but his dealing with her betrayal could have been better.

He snapped out of these thoughts as the door opened again. He couldn't keep dwelling on the past. He stood from the chair, walking past Thea, leaving a whiff of his cologne in his wake. But as he entered the room, he stopped as he saw Kaleb, then slowly moved to sit in one of the chairs at the boy's bedside. With a soft sigh, he sat, then spoke quietly.

"I just realized that you probably don't know who I am." He said quietly, looking at the boy, seeking out some slight sign of recognition or emotion, wondering what Thea had told her son - no, their son - about Grim Inganni. He couldn't imagine they were complimentary things. He hardly deserved them. Slowly removing his gaze from the boy, he looked to Thea, then to the other chair on the other side of the bed, a silent invitation, a silent plea for her to join them. Even if it was Thea, he couldn't do this alone.

Thea watched as he sat in one of the chairs, speaking to Kaleb. The child had already turned his head over and stared directly at the man beside him. It was intrigued, certainly, wondering what the man was going to say to him next. She had an entirely different feeling. Whatever Grim felt that he needed to say to their son frightened her. She hadn't told Kaleb that he was his real father. He was far too young and she'd always referred to him as a friend. The father he knew was Paul. She didn't want him confused or upset; now was the worst possible time for any of this to be happening.

When Grim motioned for her to take a seat in the other, she just stood and shook her head slowly. "Do not say anything." She warned with a firm tone. Grim clearly didn't grasp the turmoil they were involved in. How could he? He'd spent the past give years far away, developing a new life without so much as any consideration of his responsibilities. He couldn't just come in now, after all that has tragically occurred, and announce something major to the young boy. Kaleb just wouldn't understand. Then there would be questions and god knows what else would follow. Her glare hardened as she stared her ex in the eyes, daring him to continue what he planned to say.

Grim's green eyes locked with hers, his stare piercing and sharp. "I see." He said quietly, standing and moving over to Thea. He stood away from the young boy, much like, unbeknownst to him, Paul and Thea had just done, and began to speak in a hushed, yet obviously angry tone with her.

"Why did you call me here? So I can see a child that doesn't know I'm his father? That you won't allow to know the truth? What if he doesn't make it, Thea? He has a right to the truth." He sighed softly. "And I want a chance to make things right, at least with him. I can't change how you feel. I can tell you hate me. And with good reason. I feel quite the same about you- we were both to blame for things falling to pieces. And I don't think you would accept any apology I could give for my leaving. But I want that boy to know I regret all that could have been. That I regret leaving him." He finished, letting out a deep breath. He had said more than he meant to. But every word of it was true.

"But if you expect me to sit here and simply watch a boy that doesn't realize what I'd like to say to him, I'm leaving. I'll return for the funeral, if we are unlucky enough to have to have one." He said, fingers toying with the golden ring again. "But he'll have to know eventually."

Thea's eyes locked on the gold ring he began playing with like earlier. She grew angry, more so than before. She glanced briefly over to Kaleb, smiling and giving him a wave since he was looking right in their direction. She walked over to the side table and grabbed the remote, turning on the television and changing it to some cartoon. "I'm going to step outside. Remember if you need any help, you can press this button right here." She instructed him, pointing to the call button before kissing the top of his head.

She then turned towards Grim with that same icy glare. She quickly opened the door and shoved him outside of the room, following close behind and shutting the door back after her. "You regret nothing." She said to him as she faced him. "And you're a selfish son of a bitch. If you had one ounce of sympathy, you would understand that telling a six year old that you're his father would be devastating and confusing. And if you were really here to make amends, you wouldn't threaten to leave just because I said that I won't allow you to upset him. What do expect is going to happen? You and Kaleb are going to embrace and immediately begin bonding, that he's going to open up so easily to someone he barely knows; I don't think so. If you want to ruin his life by admitting the man he grew up with is not his father but you, someone who's never been in his life, is his real father. Go ahead. Or if you'd rather run away again, that's fine by me too." She finished, breathing heavily.

Grim's behavior really pissed her off and she wanted to make that fact very cleared to him. If he walked off again, this time it wouldn't be her fault. She invited him back with good intentions and if he couldn't appreciate that, then Kaleb certainly didn't need him.

As she finished speaking, Grim drew in a deep breath and breathed out. He calmed the angry retort building inside him before speaking again. He wasn't here to fight with her. All he wanted was to get this all behind him so he might sleep peacefully at night.

"I'd really appreciate it if you didn't try to tell me how I feel." He said quietly. "I don't believe we'll bond. I don't even believe he'd open up." With a sigh, he ran his fingers through his black hair. "I'm sorry. I didn't consider the effects on him." he breathed. "I don't think you understand how frustrating this is. And I don't think you understand that I do feel bad for abandoning him." He shook his head, collapsing into one of the chairs in the hall once more. Then he leaned forward again, eyes locking with hers. He stood with a sigh. "But then again, I don't understand how you feel about any of this either, so I imagine we are even." Grim straightened slightly, his fingers pausing in their absentminded movements.

"I won't leave again." He whispered, then, speaking in a more normal tone as he stood, he said, "All right. I'll tell him I'm an old friend. It's at least half true." He said, gesturing for her to lead the way back into the room.

Thea had expected for him leave, stalk off in the opposite direction and leave for good this time around. She almost wished that's exactly what he would have done for her own reasons. It would have been much easier for her personally to deal with everything else if she never had to think of Grim again. But for Kaleb's sake, she was glad that he was making an attempt to have a role in his son's life.

With a sigh, she opened the door to the room back up and walked inside first. She walked over to Kaleb's bed and sat down at the edge, giving him a gentle smile. She then turned to Grim, wondering what he was going to say to the boy now.

(Sorry this was short. I was rushed)

(That's fine, it happens. I'll just have to write a short post too, it's hard for me to work off a short post.)

He could tell that she had hoped, at least personally, that he would leave. But he followed her back into the room and sat back down in that chair as she sat on the bed next to their son. The son that though he was someone else's. With a sigh, he began again.

"I haven't seen you since you were about one, Kaleb." Grim said softly, his eyes watching the boy. "Your mother and I used to be very close, but time and other... commitments have drawn us apart. My name is Grim." he said softly. "And, if your mother is willing, one you have healed and gotten better, I'm hoping that we might get to know each other better." He said quietly, his eyes going to Thea. He couldn't imagine she would like that idea much. But perhaps she might be willing, if only for her son's sake.

Thea looked to Kaleb, watching for his reaction. She's only ever mentioned Grim to him a few times before but she doubt he even remembered any of those conversation. He blinked a few times before he spoke up. "Do you like cars?" He asked, inhaling deeply afterwards.

She grinned to herself, happy to see that her son was still positive and hopeful. He a always asked people he met for the first time whether they liked cars or trucks. It was one of those things he was obsessed with. His room was decked out in colorful decals of race cars and all different kinds of trucks. He slept in a bed shaped liked a car as well. Any and everything Kaleb owned dawned his most favorite thing in the world. Of course, his interests changed every couple of years. From ages two to four, all he could ever talk about were dinosaurs. His interests have evolved since then and Thea predicted in a couple of years he'd grow out of cars and move onto something bigger and better.

Grim had missed every single important moment of their child's life. And though she was the one to make the call, she was entirely sure if she wanted to share the person she'd spent part of her life taking care of. But she couldn't exactly go back on her word now.

The boy's question brought a chuckle from Grim's lips. "What kind of cars?" He asked with a small smile. "Race cars? Luxury cars? Sports cars?" He said with a light smile. "I am slightly into racing." He said.

He noticed the labored breathing and wheezing breath. He didn't want to put the boy through unnecessary pain, but he also wanted to talk to his son, even if nothing of importance was said. If the boy died after the surgery, he wanted to at least have had a memory in his mind. And if he survived, he would have a build block to build up a relationship with him.

"Racing." Kaleb said excitedly.. at least as excited as he could get. The exclamation alone caused shortness of breath and he had to take a moment before he breathing was steady again. He scratched his nose, moving the breathing tube attached to his nostrils momentarily. He glanced into Grim's direction once more. Just before he could say something else, a knock sounded at the door. Then a veteran nurse walked in, smiling at everyone.

"How are y'all doing?" She asked politely before making her way towards the bed. Kaleb then focused his attention on the woman, someone he had the pleasure of speaking with numerous times before.

Thea moved off of the bed to give the health profession the room she needed to properly check her son's vitals. She moved to the chair on the other side of the bed, opposite of Grim. She observed him closely, wondering how he felt about all that was happening. He was experiencing everything at once while she's no stranger to these unfortunate matters. And god forbid if something were to happen to Kaleb, Grim's relationship with his only child would have been short-lived. She imagined he was struggling to get a clear grasp of what they were dealing with though he'd never show it in front of others. The wan may have resentment towards her ex but she wouldn't want any parent to ever fall into the position they were currently in.

Back
Top Bottom