Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cold Calls

Yeah I should probably make an F-list at some point. That'll scare some folks away real quick lol.

Okay, new pet peeve: Guys who jump into other people's RP and try to turn it into a Terminator RP. If you've been anywhere near the Open RP forum you know the guy I'm talking about. That guy. The T-800 is almost like 60's Spider-Man at this point, showing up to derail your thread with poor grammar and something about a MILF named Sarah. To me this is pretty much the same thing as a cold call via PM, except then you have the assumption that anyone actually wants to roleplay with your silly shotgun-robot.

Hell yeah. I ignored the guy at first, but then I just PMed him about the character, asking if it was from a game (I'm the GM of one of the RPs there that was... scouted... by this guy. And yes, I knew it was a Terminator.) and he disappeared. Not a reply or anything, just up and gone.

"Aww man, these guys are doing a zombie survival RP. Don't they know that Terminator is way cooler? Here, I will help them find their way to the glory of Terminator."

Fortunately, Steve was there to stop the robots.

Oh! And let's not forget the wonderful folks who make a half dozen open rp threads without checking for interest, cold calling the whole forum at once. Or the guy who keeps PMing me under multiple names, wanting to be my bestie for some reason.

Yes, because STEVE!!!

I actually found that one ridiculously funny, by the way. Nice job stopping him in his tracks. But there hasn't been any interest in that since, I think. Maybe I'll check it out, see if there's something there I can have fun with.

Bluefoot, please don't. That one was pretty poorly conceived even before Terminator and Steve showed up.

And Trygon, you know what's nice about Open RP? If your partner vanishes, as they always do, you just start playing with someone else.

Go for it. We have a ridiculous amount of fun in some of the threads in that forum. As long as you don't start humping Sarah Connor, we'll be good lol.

When aren't people active in there? I mean, yeah, it has its moments of nobody replying for a bit, but when someone brings something new to the table, things get interesting again real quick.

There's usually only one or two active RP's going in there at a time. Those are the ones with lots of posts, as opposed to the ones with zero replies or just one reply that's a terminator popping in and saying hello.

Has this turned into some kind of general complain about people you don't like thread? No matter how much you all disliked this user or that, I don't think it creates a very nice atmosphere when you have public conversations about how annoying they are.

No, it's just that we both have had experiences with said person and felt the need to share them. In a way, what he did was cold calling - posting once just to disrupt the RP and then leaving. And it wasn't anything against the user himself, just that the posts were kinda funny in a way. Sorry about the negative feel! I didn't mean for my comments to come across that way.

Actually I kinda was just complaining about random people and things. Idk, it kinda morphed into a 'what not to do' thread.

Haven't encountered anything of the sort on BMR yet
(given, I've only been here for a day).

But I've actually had some people message me,
and it's painfully obvious that they didn't really read through my requests.

At least you have crazies. I've had some really dull ones already.

I rarely get a cold call, but when I do, I take into account what they say. If the PM is simply, “Hey. Want to rp?” Uh….no. I simply ignore them PM. Sometimes I get detailed, well thought messages. Those I enjoy getting.

Squishypink said:
Every last one of them has 1 or 2 posts at the most and is convinced that they are the greatest writer to ever misuse punctuation.

I'm sorry, I done forgot what an editor does. Does someone need perfect punctuation to be a good writer? I shouldn't be posting in this thread I guess. A lot of the ideas being thrown around here are grinding on my nerves, likely better I just leave it at this, but here I go anyway. I do cold calls, and I don't offer much in terms of plot ideas. You have your own ideas, and you should likely use those is my outlook on the matter. I'm here to refine a writing style of something not easily done well; Erotica. I do plenty of writing elsewhere and on my own, I use cold calls and messenger for RPs finding them a much faster pace than waiting for forum PMs or threads. So, are we going to continue to toss around this little stigma and judgement of everyone who uses cold calls? Please, continue. This should prove a very entertaining social debate for me.

Sounds to me like perhaps your preference for using cold calls to suit your own convenience is simply not 'done' around here. Big of you to make it personal attack on your character, but it wasn't - Your distaste for using a forum for RPing, and discussing such on a forum for RPing, has made you the odd man out.

S'pose you could try to learn why people dislike cold calls, and what you could do to avoid those peeves. Hell, you could even browse the request forum, instead of picking random people that aren't advertising. But you do you, 'Wordsmith'. I can already tell you have so much to teach us.

Trygon said:
Sounds to me like perhaps your preference for using cold calls to suit your own convenience is simply not 'done' around here. Big of you to make it personal attack on your character, but it wasn't - Your distaste for using a forum for RPing, and discussing such on a forum for RPing, has made you the odd man out.

S'pose you could try to learn why people dislike cold calls, and what you could do to avoid those peeves. Hell, you could even browse the request forum, instead of picking random people that aren't advertising. But you do you, 'Wordsmith'. I can already tell you have so much to teach us.

-Slow Clap-

I don't think we've spoken before, Mr. White Knight. Let's start with the whole personal attack thing. I never said it was any sort of personal attack, yet you have this thread here seated around the concept of heckling people who use cold calls in general. "Am I bad person for doing ect ect". Propagating the idea that everyone who uses such a method is terrible. Hell, you've even had someone in this thread who you were poking fun at pop in, how the hell you think that made them feel seeing this? Plus, the whole having a mod actually post here, supporting the entire notion is actually pretty sickening to me.

There's a difference you're not realizing, and I get it. You're waiting for all the splendors of wisdom I have to teach, judging by how you're, well, surprise, judging someone again this time for their name alone. Which is funny, normally I'm one of the most respectful, chill people you'll ever meet. I also understand the point you're all trying to make, but the fact remains. Not all damn cold calls are terrible like you seem to think. When I message someone, I'm respectful, and to the point. If I don't get a reply, I don't bother them over and over, I move on.

The people who've I added to YIM from here, if that style of RP isn't what they're looking for, hell we mostly start talking about music or previous ideas we've had over the years. Even help them brainstorm from time to time for a more serious writing. All this, cold calls. All this the shit you folks are circling jerking around making it seem like everyone who PMs out of the blue is going to be terrible. On the flip side of this, I've met some amazing people using this method, so my "convenience" has more than paid off in that regard. Maybe it is "done" around here if you little elitist would actually give people a chance and not screw with them.

Course, what do I know, right Trygon? I'm "Wordsmith" I must be an arrogant asshole who's sad they can't find any RP partners, now I'm lashing out because my little methods aint workin'. I can already tell, we're going to be best friends.

Late Edit: I've reviewed the rules of this section Though no one's spoken to me about it, I won't be changing or hiding anything I said. I don't think continuing and getting a warning is worth it for folks like you. So, I'll apologize for my remarks, and drop it. I suggest you do the same.

Missed the point.

Nobody said all cold calls are terrible, merely that all cold calls they had ever experienced were terrible. If you find yourself part of a group of people regarded as terrible, that requires examination of one's own behavior, not lashing out at people you perceive as judging you.

I'm the only one here judging you, and I did it based on all three posts you made in here the other night - Each one made me subsequently more irritated at your pretension and tone, until I found this gem. Your name is the cherry on top, a single word that encapsulates your bloated ego. I used it as such.

Nobody here is being elitist. You just engage in behavior that is regarded as foul, and have offered no defense of that behavior other then "It's convenient for me!". You had your chance and blew it, all in that horribly misguided post.

Trygon said:
Missed the point.

Nobody said all cold calls are terrible, merely that all cold calls they had ever experienced were terrible. If you find yourself part of a group of people regarded as terrible, that requires examination of one's own behavior, not lashing out at people you perceive as judging you.

I'm the only one here judging you, and I did it based on all three posts you made in here the other night - Each one made me subsequently more irritated at your pretension and tone, until I found this gem. Your name is the cherry on top, a single word that encapsulates your bloated ego. I used it as such.

Nobody here is being elitist. You just engage in behavior that is regarded as foul, and have offered no defense of that behavior other then "It's convenient for me!". You had your chance and blew it, all in that horribly misguided post.

Edited twice now: Alright, I'm done. No more. I've read some of your stuff on here, various sections of the board an what not, and I've taken a step back too look at this the way you are. I won't pretend like I wasn't in the wrong for some of this, because looking at it, I clearly am. I won't dismiss your passive aggressive tone either, it is what it is. I likely misunderstood the over all tone of the thread, from my point of view it seemed like pointless bashing of people who had pissed the folks posting here off, targeting these Cold Callers and what not. I understand it wasn't geared towards me, but none the less I didn't like what I was reading. That was my fault for regarding it as a verbal blanket covering all. We've got off on the wrong foot, as sad as that is. I'm sorry, and I honestly mean that. That's all I say on the matter and leave this be. Seeing the lack of replies in other threads I've done, I can also understand how I come off being pretentious. Like most of the community, I'll sink back into PMs and leave the community part be from now on.

Retreat is not the worst choice, but again, examination of your own behavior and a commitment to improving are the best choice.

And, uh, 'passive' aggressive? I am assuredly the pure sort of aggressive. I find it encourages honesty.

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and I had a perfect cold call in mind, but I could not find the stupid PM!

But lucky enough the user PMed me a SECOND TIME! Hahahaha, now I get to post it.

Princess Pittooey said:
Hello Princess, my name is [censored]. I was looking for a classy white woman, who loves some chocolate, for a long and detailed interracial role play, do you know anyone?
Nope, sorry. I'm a classy black woman. Good luck with your search.

For me at least the cold calls have slacked off lately. But Princess Pittooey, I'm going to start using that as a generic response to some of the random cold calls I do still get. Imma be liek "sorry, no can do, I'm just such a classy black woman that I can't RP with you."

Squishypink said:
For me at least the cold calls have slacked off lately. But Princess Pittooey, I'm going to start using that as a generic response to some of the random cold calls I do still get. Imma be liek "sorry, no can do, I'm just such a classy black woman that I can't RP with you."
I didn't lie, I really am black and I didn't want to ruin his fantasy with roleplaying with a white woman by not telling him that. I also do not fetishize interracial, that's a natural thing to me.

I usually answer colds calls with the delete button or "Sorry, I'm not into that."

Back
Top Bottom