Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Monster Hunting(HaloHeroWolf118 & My Last Breath)

HaloHeroWolf118

Supernova
Edric sighed as he walked along the hall of the Orders Head Quarters he wore his standard black coat his long hair was pushed back from his face. The hall was well lit and rather spartan with only a few religious paintings covering the wall Edric wasn't overly religious like allot of members of the Order even though he wore a silver cross on a chain around his neck. He wasn't a typical member either the majority wore suits and ties and he was sure their bibles had friction burns but they at least didn't discriminate against some beings as long as they didn't harm humans. He had been called in due to a rather bad situation a string of disappearances that all seemed to involve some ritualistic symbols left on the walls in the blood. Making a left turn down an adjoining hall he opened a pair of doors and entered a office. The floor was black marble and in the middle of the office a symbol was tiled out in gold with a quote from Hell Boy he was sure of it but he couldn't read old Latin. The Boss sat behind his desk a large dark skinned man who had a tired look in his brown eyes that were now looking at Edric as he approached. A file laid spread over his desk which was made of cloudy glass, as Edric reached his desk he saw the file was full of photo's of symbols and he noted how the man looked him up and down. He had to be taking in Edrics attire he wore clothes that could easily pass in a biker bar and with his facial hair it wasn't a hard bet that he owned a motorcycle.

"Good to have you here Mr. Edric." the man said after a long silence, "I'm disturbed by this case and I'm not shaken easily." he continued as he slid some papers toward Edric. He looked at the file and examined the Symbols a part of him itched having seen symbols like this before but he knew it couldn't be 'HIM' as the Symbols were arranged in a circle. "Was there any other clues Sir?" Edric asked looking from the pictures at the boss as the other sat back in his chair nodding. "The Symbols were drawn in the blood of the previously abducted person." the man answered, "It's the same with every abduction we might be dealing with a human cult which is why I'm also assigning Miss Sky Hunnisett to this case as well." the man said. Edric didn't like working with others though he had a fondness for Sky having worked with her before. They hadn't gotten to know each other much but he had been more into the mission when the7 last worked together. "Is she going to meet me in the motor pool or here in the office?" he asked.

"In the Motor Pool take this copy of the file with you I want you on this immediately." he said in a dismissive tone. Edric exited the office and returned to the main hall way and followed it back to the Elevator he had taken to get to the upper levels of the Head Quarters. He had the File under his arm as he rode the lift down the motor pool. The lift doors opened and he was greeted with the smell of gasoline and oil the guys who worked in the Motor Pool maintained the vehicles used by the Order and Edric was friends with the head Mechanic. "Is my favorite ready?" he asked and the Mechanic the man tossed him a pair of keys. "Now I just got to wait for her." he said as he stood beside the Ford Mustang and looked over the file the Symbols continued to nag at him.

She was just sitting down for her meal, when her phone nearly vibrated itself off the table. Her hand shot out to catch it, then she quickly looked around to make sure nobody in the restaurant saw it. Shaking her head at her own mistake she answered the phone. "Yeah, this is Sky," she hadn't bothered to look at the caller ID, she only ever got calls for jobs.

Roger spoke on the other end in his gravely tone, "I need you to come in. We just got a huge case, involving those disappearances. This is looking more like something not human."

Taking a drink of her coke, she swallowed, "and you need my expertise to handle this right?" she asked with an annoyed tone in her voice. It seemed like the cases never stopped coming. As soon as she was done with one job, they were calling her for the next.

"Yes, but you won't be alone. I've called in Edric too, he should be here any minute. Why don't you just meet him in the motor pool, and you can go over the file together."

She hated working with a partner, most of the time they just slowed her down. She had worked with Edric before on a case, and he seemed ot be able to keep his head in the game. "Yeah, alright, I will be there in fifteen minutes." She hung up the phone, then took a few large bites of her food. Throwing a twenty and a ten down in the table, the bill was only $12 but she didn't feel right now compinsating for the wasted food. As she stood she got the same strange looks from customers as when she walked in. It wasn't everyday you saw a woman dress the way she was, with two .45s on her hip and sword on her back.

Walking out the door, she winked at a little girl who was staring. Her bike sat at an angle by the curb. Adjusting the two canons on her hips she threw her leg over the seat. Turning the key in the ignition, she revved the bike, as the little girl watched out the window. Then tore off down the street, Orders was only about ten blocks from where she was. She had to stop fro the second part of her daily meal though. Pulling into the alley a block away she fished the blood bag from the bikes satchel.

She had never taken blood from an unwilling human. On the rare occasion she would meet a man, or woman that would allow her to feed straight from the vein. That hadn't happened in months though, so she was stuck with the blood bags. Tossing the now empty bag into the dumpster, she rolled back out of the alley. Three minutes later the Harley Sprinter rolled into the motor pool. Edric was already standing next to a Mustang, she prefered bikes but if he wanted to take a car she would comply. "You take care of this you hear me, I don't want to see a single scratch." She pointed at the mechanic, with a smile. Letting the kick stand down, she walked over to her temporary partner. "I take it that's the file," she asked leaning against the sleek car.

"Yep." he said handing her the file before going to the trunk of the car. Opening the trunk he revealed a small arsenal of guns, ammunition and assorted books, he looked through the weapons before choosing a pair of custom 1911 Colt.45's. "We should get going." he said as he holstered one in his shoulder holster under his coat and the second on his upper thigh in a quick draw holster. He climbed into the car and waited for her and once she joined him he started the Mustangs engine and drove out of the Motor Pool. "Those symbols are written with the previous Abducted persons blood." he said as they drove down the city street. Those symbols continued to nag at him reminding him of that man they weren't happy memories. He turned on the radio on and played the disc he had left in there the song he smiled as the song played for the moment stopping him from thinking about the symbols. "We have allot of time before we arrive at our destination...so what's it like to be a Dampyr?" he asked trying not to seem awkward as he attempted to make small talk during the long drive.

"Having a long lifespan has to be nice if I look good at your age I'd be happy though I think a little grey would look good on me." he said smiling at her as he continued his attempts at small talk.

Taking the folder from him, she began thumbing through it. Looking up only to acknowledge his statement. "Yeah we should," turning she opened the car door and slipped inside. Closing the door, her movements a little faster then normal. She didn't bother hiding her abilities when she was here, everyone had their own. Her eyes were still very much on the file, nodding her head as she spoke with the what was written. The symbol in question Sky had seen many times, and it rarely turned out good. Sometimes it was just teenagers messing with things they didn't understand. Closing the file she look up at the radio, when he turned it on. Then she turned to him with a smile, "well, I guess it is about as great as you would expect. I have all the perks of a vampire, but I also get the added one of walking during the day." Tossing the file now on the back seat, she had to adjust the sword on her back, the hilt was actually touching the roof of the car. One of the main reason's she preferred her bike to a car. "The life span is also pretty great yes, but there is a downside, I still need to drink blood." she pulled at one of the buckles on her chest, then slipped the leather strap free. Catching the sword just before it fell against Edric's head. "I thank you though, it is nice to get a compliment once in a while."

She set the sword between her thighs, and tried to shift into a more comfortable position in the seat. "So what's it like being.... uumm what ever you are?" Narrowing her eye a little she shook her head. Realizing she had basically no information about Edric.

"I'm not entirely Human any more." he said his tone was one that suggested he didn't like talking about himself or his past but if they were going to work together she needed to know somethings about him. "I was born in the wild west if you ever seen a Clint Eastwood movie you'd get the general idea." he continued. "So I'm older than you are however I spent some time in a magically induced sleep so I didn't age. So technically I'm still younger." he continued smiling as seeming to be a little more upbeat about his past. He kept certain details out of it though like his time as a Gunslinger and how he had first encountered those Symbols when his family had been slaughtered and he learned some truths he wished he hadn't. He sighed a little bit, "It took a little while for me to adjust to the new era after the Order found me." he said as he turned onto the highway and the engine roared now that there was an increase in speed. "I've been working for them ever since it's more than what I had before though I dislike cars they can carry more than a Motorcycle." he said smiling as he thought about the one he was building in the Motor Pool. "I'm building a Motorcycle back at the motor pool it'd be like riding horse again though louder and faster." he finished as the song ended and started with a new song Fear of the Dark by IronMaiden began to play.

"You must have hated those movies about those sparkle vampires." he said laughing a little bit as he continued to drive down the high way.

Narrowing her eyes a little as he spoke, 'what does not entirely human anymore mean?' Sky wouldn't push it right now though, his tone suggested he really didn't want to share. She laughed at the Clint Eastwood reference, she remembered watching his first movie on the big screen. Revenge of the Creature, back in 1955 it was a lot different then the movies you watched now. Then again she was also familiar with John Wayne, though she was much younger in the beginning of his career.

The mention of the magically induced sleep peaked her interest, and she was dying to ask more. Biting her tongue though, she would wait to ask about it later. This case was going to take sometime, they may as well save something for conversation later. "Ah, yes but that is because something kept you from ageing, I look this good after seventy five years of it." She added with a smile, the truth was a dampyr never really showed any signs of aging until they were around two hundred and twenty five years old. As time went on the process would slow down a lot, until four hundred when they started aging at a normal human rate. The oldest dampyr she knew was four hundred and thirty years old, and now looked to be about seventy.

"The clothing women wear now must have been quite the shock then. Cropped tops and shorts that barely cover the important parts." She looked at her own attire, and really it was worse then most women's. She hated the restriction of clothes when she needed as much movement as possible. "If you ever want to take a spin on my Sprinter, I would be willing to let you ride on the back." 'Did that sound flirty,' she shook her head of the thought. "And please don't get me started on that ridiculous movie. They ruined the real image of vampires, that people were afraid of. They need to be afraid, vampires are sadistic evil creatures. Their only goal in life is to torture and drain humans. Once in a while the goal is to breed." Her own mother was lucky that the vampire her fathered her was looking to breed.

He mother had been held for two months against her will. Until the bastard was sure she was with child. The dumping her off on the side of the rode, left her to deal with a dampyr child. No easy feat to deal with, puberty was awful for her kind. The hunger and lust that took over was almost too much to ignore. Even with the struggle Sky managed to never kill a single person.

"Yeah the clothing would be considered rather risque for my time and I was raised in a rather religious family with my father being a devout christian and all." he said not mentioning his father had been the priest in their church. He remembered the arguments between himself an his father knowing how disappointed his father had been with him for being a hired gun. The last time they had talked had been that night and it had been their first civil conversation in some time. It felt like things were on the mend till he showed up a Vampire an old and powerful one. He nodded, "I know how Vampires are." he said as he changed lanes, "I had a few encounters early in my career with the Order." he said. He remembered his vendetta against the Vampire that had murdered his family and how he had leaped at the chance to kill any Vampire hoping it was him but each time it hadn't been him. He looked at her taking in her curves and attire while he had been surprised at the clothing of the women in this era he had easily grown accustomed but he found her to be more attractive than any of the women he had met so far in this time. "I'll admit on our first joint assignment I had to focus harder due to your distracting beauty." he admitted smiling at her. It was the truth more than once he caught himself checking her out as she fought some Ghouls the Necromancer had sent at them.

Time passed and the CD continued to play switching from song to song as they played out he had chosen music he liked there wasn't that much western music on the disc but Rammstein and other rock bands were the norm or any song he he had thought sounded good. "So what do you think we're looking for?" he asked at last looking for her opinion on the mission.

She shouldn't have been surprised to hear that he came from a devout Christian family. The era he came from religion was abundant, and people actually feared their gods. Religion now seemed to be taken rather lightly by society. Her mother had been a Christian before those two months with a vampire. Loosing her faith, when no help came for her. He would know about vampires, especially in their line of work, though they seemed to be the easiest to deal with. Sky looked sideways at Edric as he complimented her beauty, now he was the one talking flirty. Feeling a little bold, she slid her hand up her bare thigh, seemingly not on purpose. "I'm glad you were able to tear your attention away for the sake of the job then."

As the CD changed through songs, and they continued to drive Edric changed the subject back to the job at hand. She would bring the conversation back to flirting later. "If I am correct, this looks like Xic. The amount of blood loss at the scene and the missing bodies just screams his name." Xic was the demon of pain, known for devouring his victims after causing days of slow torturous pain, with his razor teeth. Turning around in her seat, she leaned back to grab the file again. She had to reach to the opposite side of the car, bringing her ass inches from his face. Slipping back quickly into her seat unaware of the position she had herself in just seconds ago. "You can see claw marks in the writing of the symbol. She opened the file to show him the pictures. And Xic doesn't work alone, there will be plenty of lesser demons, and some devout followers to contend with if I am right."

As she reached for the file her ass was brought mere inches from his face he spared brief glances at her asset but tried to focus on his driving so they wouldn't crash. When she resumed her seat he tried to make it look like he hadn't been looking but there was an obvious tenting in his jeans. He had also noticed how her hand had moved up her bare thigh earlier but he hadn't paid it much mind. He focused on the Xic thing sounding like a demon and he hated demons it took special ammo Blessed Silver or white oak stakes he had some but the Order hadn't refilled the supply in the trunk. Normal bullets did damage but you'd need allot of bullets to kill one and staking was even harder as Demons were powerfully strong. "So it is a Cult but their master is in the physical world and with some minor demons he's going to be hard to get close to." he said as he tried to adjust himself without swerving. "I don't like this demon stuff takes to much to put them down." he said his tone annoyed. "We're going to make a short detour to meet a friend of mine and pick up some supplies." he said as he turned off the High Way at the next exit. "Demons are tough bastards and Xic sounds like a Demon Lord." he continued as he drove, "Even the weakest Demon lord has plenty of servants. If he's on this plane then he's not walking around as some behemoth monster but in a human shell." he finished as he continued to drive though now they were driving toward the country or what passed for it so close to the city.

Edric had a few friends outside the Order they were Hunters men who didn't need a official sanction to hunt and kill what ever monsters were threatening people. However this guy used to work with the Order and he was contracted to supply the special ammo they would need and he reminded him of a man who had been like a father during the rough times with his own. The Large farm house they ended up driving up to looked rather run down but the horses that raced around the open field looked well looked after. "Todd used to work at HQ but moved out here due to his age." he explained as he parked the car close to an old dodge truck. "Also I could do with some lunch and the man cooks a mean steak." he said smiling at her as he got out of the car.

"What do you want." came voice that sounded almost exactly like Sam Elliot from inside the house. A tall thin man came into view from within the house he was balding but he had a steel look in his eyes as he looked at Edric and Sky. "We need some special bullets for a demon you old git." Edric answered and the old man glared at him. "Your still a rude little shit aren't you boy." he said as he opened the screen door for them both men smiled at one another before shaking hands. "Good to see you Sky I hope this young pup hasn't been slowing you down." he said as Todd had from time to time supplied Sky with ammo when he had worked at the Order. "Come in the both of ya." Todd invited and Edric followed the man inside.

Sky snorted, hard to get close to was an understatement. If the demon had been going at it this long, he had definitely procured himself a good amount of lessers, and good sized human following. "Oh yeah, he will be in a human form. That will be how he controls his cult. In reality if these people knew they were actually working for a demon, they would be scared shitless and he knows it." Looking at the photo's none of the markings looked to be done by any humans, which meant the cultists were still very much in the dark. So the only one to be doing it was the demon himself, who knew about Order, he was calling them out. Tossing the file into the backseat once again, she nodded. "Supplies would be good, and yes Xic is very much a Demon Lord. Thats going to make this that much harder. I wish Rodger would have set us up on this a lot sooner, instead of watching the papers for so long."

Almost immedielty after leaving the highway, she knew where they were going. She had actually been here onyl two months ago. She had required some aid in removing poison barbs from her shoulders. Todd was of course the only one she ever trusted to turn her back on. Last time she turned her back on anyone in the order, they had literally stabbed her in it. The shifter had been angry that a half vampire has shown him up, bringing in one of his targets. While she healed quickly, the process took longer if the weapon was still embeded. He also seemed to always have a blood bag or two just laying around. "I could go for some lunch too, didn't get to finish mine before I had to head to HQ." She wouldn't let on yet that she knew Todd already, he would find out soon enough.

As the familiar run town farm house came into view, the mustang kicked up a large dust cloud. Sending the horses standing at the fence running. They pulled up to the house and she could already hear Todd's shuffling feet make their way to the door. Opening her door, she stepped out sword in hand. She never went anywhere without it. Looking up towards the house as she quickly buckle it to her back once more. She waited for the two mens' banter, then smiled up at Todd. "Aaww, he's not too bad, I think he can keep up alright." She gave Edric a wink, as she dropped her hands and joined them on the wrap around porch. "Here on better terms today, nothing to pull out of my back." Leaning over she kissed the old man on the cheek before walking into the house.

The house smelled of old leather and old black and white photos lined the walls all the way back to the kitchen door. The photos showed children standing outside the same farm house as he and Sky had just entered although it ad yet to suffer the wear and tear of the years. A decorative saddle rested on a stand that had a plaque that read Best at Show and a date. The saddle was obviously old decorated with silver but there were few cracks here and there on the seat and horn. Edric walked through the kitchen and saw a pot of coffee had just been brewed but he wasn't intertd in having a cup at the moment. "I'm going to check out the arsenal." he said loudly as he opened a door that led to the basement. Todd had smirked when Sky kissed his cheek and followed her inside he heard Edric call out that he was going to look at the weapons. "How much as he told you about himself?" he asked Sky as they strolled down the hall passing the pictures and old saddle which he patted as he passed like it was his lucky charm.

Edric walked down the basement stairs and if he hadn't seen it before his jaw would have hit the floor the walls were covered with modern weapons and old weapons. There was a machine that was meant to melt mettle and mold it into bullets there were some that had been finished and others that had yet to be. A video monitor showed the drive way and the two cars outside then shifted to a view of the back of the house then the rooms inside. Edric spotted some melee weapons sitting in crates and approached them there was a sword among the other weapons and he could tell why they were here as they were mixed with silver there was even a old silver cross in another crate. He picked up the sword and carried it with him as he loaded up what he could of the finished silver rounds in some ammo boxes.

Todd had started cooking the steaks for them and left Sky to finish it for him as he went to the Basement to check on Edric. "You even know how to use that thing?" the old man asked spotting him with the sword even though he knew Edric could. "You didn't tell her much." he said as he walked to the machine that put the bullets together and turned it on luckily it made little noise. "I told her enough it's not that important that she know about everything I did." he replied while Todd handed him a sheath for the sword. "You could tell her you were hunting Vampires because one killed butchered your family." Todd said and Edric sighed. "I'm trying to keep things nice not awkward and I like her." he said and Todd just nodded. "I have something for you." Todd said and he went to the crates and pulled out a box, "Took me fifty years to find this." he said and he handed Edric the box. Edric opened the box and inside was something he hadn't seen in a long while a classic old M1869 Schofield Pistol it was old and Edric picked it up smiling at it like it was an old friend. "Feels good to hold one of these again." he said but he remembered the last time he had held this gun he had been near death and was watching as his mother and brother were drained of blood.

"That's special that is it was made from the blade of an archangel. Any bullet fired from that will do allot of damage to anything I was going to send it to the Order but I think you need it more than them. Here." he said and Todd was holding an old western holster. Edric switched out one of his 1911's for the new gun it was heavier but it felt right. "Steaks should be done and we'll have more bullets in a bit so lets go and eat." he said and Edric followed Todd upstairs.

Sky made her way to the kitchen, as Edric and Todd followed her in. The coffee smelled awesome, and she actually tempted to have a cup. What she was really wanting though was hidden in Todd's refrigerator. It was a small compartment hidden in bottom, that held blood bags. Nodding at Edric when he called out that he was checking the basement for supplies. This was good, she hated drinking blood bags with witnesses. When he was out of sight, she took out a bag. "Not much, all I know is he was alive long before I was, and that he is 'entirely human' anymore." She leaned against the counter, biting into the bag. Letting out a soft sigh as it washed down her throat. "I didn't feel like pushing the subject yet. I will though, it is only fair I know if he knows what I am."

Finishing the bag, she tossed it in the appropriate waste basket. The smell of cooking meat began to permeate the house. Sky watched as the old man started their lunch. She busied herself with setting the table, placing a pitcher of lemonade, that was almost always laced with gin or vodka. Todd was an old cowboy though, so this was just expected. Also grabbing the pitcher of water she set that on the table as well. Done witht he table Sky went to cooking the steaks. "Don't you two leave me alone up here for long, I might just get bored and start snooping." She said as the old man headed into the basement.

Sky was about to call for them as they came up the stairs. Perfect timing is what you would call it. She set the last plate down on the table, just as they reached the top of the stairs. She had managed to fry up some potatoes adding to their meal. "Did you have fun down there, leaving me to cook for you?" She smiled at them as she sat, pointing to the other two plates.

Todd and Edric sat at the table Edric's new sword leaned against the table while the machine made it's soft noises down in the basement spitting out a fresh silver bullet till it ran out of bullets for the shells. Edric and Todd ate in silence though Todd glancing at Edric now and then till he finally spoke, "Did Edric tell you he was a Gunslinger in his day." Todd suddenly said which nearly caused Edric to choke on a potato. "He won a tournament against some famous Gunmen." Todd continued as Edric washed the potato down with some spiked lemonade. "He did it while using his grandfather's Navy .44." Todd finished an impressed tone in his voice. "I don't want to talk about it." Edric said glaring at the old man. "It's not one of my prouder moments." he finished but Todd didn't seem to care. "Come on you were what 19 or 17 when you entered that tournament." Todd said and Edric sighed. "I was 17." Edric admitted and Todd nodded, "I don't want to talk about it." he said once more and it seemed Todd wasn't going to push anymore.

Edric resumed eating his steak pleased it was rare like he liked. He hadn't enjoyed Todd dragging up that part of his history he had tried hard not to think about some of the things he had done as a young and foolish boy and even more foolish man. But as he sat there and thought he remembered her and how he had lost her that old crushing sorrow threatened to manifest itself but he pushed it down like so many times before. Todd watched him and didn't say anything knowing how uncomfortable Edric felt about his past but he looked at Sky and shrugged. Edric ate in silence his good mood from earlier quickly fading yet he dragged up the memory of when Sky had reached for the file and her ass had been so close to his face and he smiled.

Todd was up to something, she could tell by the way he kept looking at Edric. Sky kept silent though, eating in silence with the two men. The old man like starting trouble, even if it was just the harmless kind. She was about to put another bite of her steak in her mouth, when the old man spoke up. "Did Edric tell you he was a Gunslinger in his day?" Her eyes moved to the man in question, fork still suspended midway to her mouth. "Uuummm, no he didn't..." Todd knew this too, it was all apart of his game though. Setting the fork down on her plate, she listened as the man went on talking. She felt sorry for Edric at this very moment, it was her intention to let him tell her on his own terms. It made her glad that the only secret she was hiding was the blood lust. Now that she thought about it she hoped Todd would get it in his mind to share that too.

With the conversation over, the three of them went back to eating in silence. Though now it just felt awkward. More so with Edric's slight change in facial expressions. It was clear he was thinking of something rather unpleasant. Finishing the food on her plate, she stood to put in the sink. Leaning in she whispered in Todd's ear, "that was a dirty thing you did old man," kissing his cheek. Reaching over she grabbed her own glass of lemonade, and started walking from the kitchen. As she passed by Edric, her hip graced his should. It was an accident, but she smiled at his reaction to the innocent contact. "When your finished, you can help me collect those bullets, Then we really should be off."

Edric felt her hips graze his shoulder and he smiled nodding as she said they should grab the ammo and get going. He finished his steak and a few more bites of the potato's before standing up and dumping his left overs in the garbage and placing his plate in the sink running a little water on it out of habit. He grabbed his sword before he strolled down the stairs and packed up the fresh bullets after turning the machine off. He grabbed the ammo boxes and carried them up the stairs as he had been down stairs Todd approached Sky with the intent to talk to her. "Sky I know what I did was a little underhanded but I got the full story from Edric." he said looking at her with that fatherly manner of his. "He's a good man though he has some dark moments and he's lost allot due to that darkness." Todd continued gently placing his hand on her shoulder. "Just be careful he'll open up I was just cracking the surface for you. Be careful on this one if Roger put you two on it things might get worse before they get better watch his back and he'll watch yours though for more than just protection." he said smiling at her which crinkled his eyes adding to the lines that were already there.

Todd walked them to the door once Edric reappeared with the ammo and he watched Edric deposit the bullets in his trunk. Edric took the Pistol Todd had given him and loaded it with some of the silver ammo and placed it back in the holster the way it hung on his waist was a familiar feeling and with Todd mentioning the tournament he couldn't help but draw the weapon a few times testing his speed. His movements were a blur and on the last test draw he fired blowing a hole through one of fence posts that was more than Seventy Five feet away. He holstered the weapon with a skilled flourish and filled the bullet loops on the holster with more of the silver ammo. When they stopped for the night later he would reload the a few of the clips with the new ammunition. "Well if your done killing my fence you'll be going. Be safe the both of ya and watch each other's backs and visit more the horses aren't good for conversation." he said and he shook hands with Edric and gave Sky a goodbye peck on her cheek. Edric climbed into the car and waited with a skilled flourish and filled the bullet loops on the holster with more of the silver ammo. When they stopped for the night later he would reload the a few of the clips with the new ammunition. "Well if your done killing my fence you'll be going. Be safe the both of ya and watch each other's backs and visit more the horses aren't good for conversation." he said and he shook hands with Edric and gave Sky a goodbye peck on her cheek. Edric climbed into the car and waited for Sky. Once she was in they resumed their original course he changed the disc for one that had more western songs mainly Marty Robbins as they were more to his liking.

"Todd isn't the subtlest of men." he said after a while not looking in her direction as he focused on the road the sun was already heading towards the Horizon. "My father was the local priest and I always felt restrained." he said while Big Iron played from the vehicles speakers. "I ran away from home at nine a stupid thing to do but I was saved by Comanche warrior named Black Horse." he continued. "Till I was fifteen I was raised in the tribe then I left once again and returned to 'civilization'." he said as he shifted lanes and finally looked at her. "I found some work but I was drawn to darker things life had to offer, Drink, women, guns and money." he said turning back to the road. "I had a knack for guns already and winning the tournament created a name for me." he finished and it seemed wasn't going to say any more. As he had been talking and driving the sun had begun to set casting the sky in hues of redish orange and the thin clouds turned purple as he turned on the head light as did the other drivers.

Sky had every intention to help him gather the supplies, but she was stopped by Todd. Turning her attention from Edric to the old man she listened as he spoke. "I would have gotten the information eventually Todd, but thank you for getting the ball rolling." Finishing her drink she set the glass on the counter. "I fully expect for things to get worse as we go on. I thought Edric may have told you what we are up against. It looks a lot like Xic, and they have been at this for a while. The cult alone will be rather large, not including the army of lessers we will be dealing with." Reaching back she tapped the hilt of her sword, "luckly I have old faithful here, she has been blessed for a long time."

As they stood on the porch, she watch as Edric test the weapon on his hip. Her eyes searched Todd's face when he blew a hole in the fence. He didn't seem genuinely mad about it, though he pretended to be with a stealy glare in Edrics direction. "Ha, I'm hear at least every other month. And I'm sure I will be back soon for more patching up. Xic is a nasty little beast." Sky returned the kiss on the cheek, before turning for the car. This time she removed the sword before she got in, resting against the front seat. Slipping into her seat, she gave Edric a smile. "Shall we then," his only answer was to drive down the dirt road.

The car was silent for a few minutes as they entered the highway again. When he broke the silence, she snorted a little at the comment of Todd's not so subtle nature. She stayed quiet otherwise as he explianed a little more about his past. She was glad that he chose to open up after only a short time had passed since the house. "We all have our skeletons Edric, I am not hear to judge you." She looked out the windshield as she spoke, "I have fallen victim to blood lust on a few occasion. Come close to killing a person because of it." She closed her eyes and sighed, the thought of what she felt when the blood lust took over running through her mind. "I can describe to you what it feels like, but nothing I say would do it justice."

Edric was silent letting the night surround them as he drove he turned off the CD player let silence fill the car. "I'm not really concerned with you draining me." he said as he had felt it before, "I was twenty when fell in love." he said deciding to fill the silence with his voice. "She blond hair and the deepest emerald eyes I had ever seen." he continued his lips quirked in a half grin. "She was tough to no slouch with a pistol and looked really good in a pair of pants." he chuckled, "We were going to settle down find a nice piece of land and raise horses or cattle." he kept going though their was a tone of repressed sadness growing in his voice. "I made enemies and I suppose and found us or rather her." he said his hand tightening on the wheel. "I was crushed to say the least. I was mad and I wanted revenge." he said as he shifted lanes his voice leveling off but the undertone of sadness was still there. "I looked for the ones responsible found them and made them pay found the one who talked and made sure he'd never speak again." he finished pausing for a little while. "I went back home for first time saw my little brother mom and dad. Mom was happy, dad was silent and my brother was the same as mom." he began again as kept driving switching lanes and sometimes sitting behind another car for some miles. "It was a few days later when a stranger appeared one stormy night I remember the lightning and thunder." he said sighing. "He didn't look dangerous but before I could even move he had sunk his fangs into my fathers neck and was draining him dry I drew and shot but it didn't do anything." he continued. "He came at me and his strength was just..." he paused his voice a little unsteady, "I blacked out and he slapped me awake he wanted me to watch as he violated my mother and drained my brother then killed my mother after." he said forcing his tone to remain flat.

"That's how I met my first Vampire." he said shrugging, "He left me for dead but Black Horse found me telling me the Shaman had had a vision but even then it took him two days to arrive at what had been my home." he finished with a yawn he had woken early that morning and he was growing tired even with telling his emotional back story. "The Shaman healed me by putting me under some sleeping spell and the rest isn't very interesting." he finished at last his voice reflecting his tiredness. "That the whole story minus allot of filler." he said with another chuckle, "I know I probably just made things more awkward between us but I'm not concerned with your origin I like you and that's enough for me." he finished and waited for her to process.

They both fell silent once again, the only sound was Marty Robbins, El Paso. She hated silence, but didn't want to break it in case he still needed it. Turning her head she watched out her own window. When the music was suddenly gone, she turned her attention back on him. "I wasn't really saying I would try. It was mainly for the admission of being closer to vampires then I like to let on." Anyone of the people that worked for order knew all there was about dampyr, but she still pretended as if none of it was true, for her at least. She was surprised when he went on talking, about a girl he loved once. Listening intently to him, she was a little disappointed when she realized, she had never had someone like that. Edrics story took a sad turn, that she almost expected he lost everything, in such a short time even.

Sky was lost for words, was there really anything to say on the subject. 'Sorry for your loss' always sounded awkward, and it was so long ago, he more then likely didn't want to hear those words anyway. So she chose to not say anything. She couldn't sympathize with him in the least. She lost her own mother yes, but it wasn't a tragedy. She had lived a long life, and passed peacefully in her sleep. It left her alone yes, but The Order had found her soon after, filling that void a little. Todd alone filled the parental role for her, even though he would be horrible influence on any impressionable youth.

When he continued with how he met his first vampire, she felt a sick crawling feeling. Everything he said sound all to familiar. Vampire liked to choose people to play with once in a while. Her mother had taken part in a different game. "Filthy creatures," she said between clenched teeth. "I was not conceived out of love," she looked straight ahead as she told her own little story. "The bastard chose my mother at random, she was fresh out of high school. He held her for two months, continually feeding from her... forcing himself on her." A tear rolled down her cheek, wiping it away, she glanced to see if he noticed. "He didn't even have the decency to hypnotize her. He let her remember every bit. When he was certain she was pregnant, he dropped her on the side of the road."

"We have little power over who are parent's are." he said after she told him about her conception. "She could have given you up, tossed you away or abused you as she had been." he said looking at her. "But instead your mother raised you loved you and taught you to be better." he said smiling slightly. "I've searched for him looked every where killed plenty of Vampires along the way but either someone got to him first or he's just really good at not being found." he admitted as looked at the dials on the dash and saw that they were near the E on the fuel gauge. He shifted lanes so they could stop and refuel, "I'll fill'er up do you wan't something from inside?" he asked as he parked in front one of the pumps. He got out and unscrewed the gas cap and put the nozzle from the pump into the tank and walked inside flashing his badge at the man behind the register. The Order wasn't a secret but people just thought they were some special branch of the NSA or FBI it saved them having to explain if they were found at a crime scene. "Pump number three." he said handing the man thirty dollars which in his day would have bought a horse. He had just finished talking about his past and the memories were buzzing in his mind. He tried to push them down but it was hard things had faded over the years faces voices even smells had faded. Only one thing was clear in his mind what the vampire had said to him. He could hear them echoing in his mind, "This moment will haunt you." he remembered the words, "You will hate me for this all your days. Find me and you may get your revenge if your ready to battle a god." the Vampire had said laughing as he strode off leaving him there bleeding and surrounded by the bodies of his family. He felt the familiar rage build up in him as he grabbed a soda from the cooler, "I will have my revenge." he muttered.

**Really?** he heard that voice from his past say, he turned looking for the speaker his hand shooting down toward the pistol on his hip. **Oh you remember my voice how touching.** the voice continued, **I have an offer for you. You need to find Xic and I caught one of his little friends come to the small town of Myst Maine and I'll hand him over to you but don't tell your little friend.** the voice finished and Edric was left with a confused look on his face. He paid for the soda and returned to the car and pumped the gas letting his mind churn over this he had no reason not to tell Sky and he doubted she'd get in the way but if this led them to Xic faster then he'd go for it even though it had to be a trap.

"Don't get me wrong, I loved my mother," she said "and she did the best she could, with a child she didn't know how to raise." Turning her attention back to Edric, she listened as he spoke some more. "He is the one monster I have not tried looking for yet, I'm not ready to face him." Looking at the fuel gauge as he pulled off towards a gas station. "No, I don't need anything, I might take a look around though, this is where it all started." When the car stopped she opened the door and stepped out sword in hand, she never went anywhere with out it. Edric walked inside to pay the clerk, and she walked around to the back. If you didn't know what to look for you wouldn't see anything. The dumpster where the blood was found, showed no evidence but the wall next to it did. Anyone else would just see peeling paint and crumbling stucco, she saw the cause though. Deep gouges could still be seen after a year and half. Proving to her she was right above Xic.

The area behind the little store was heavily wooded, it probably came at the victim from there. The body would be found when they found Xic. The demon kept them as trophies. Standing, she walked back to the front of the store, Edric had already made his way back. She made note of the confused expression on his face, but pushed it aside. He was probably going over the file in his head. Leaning over the hood of the classic car, "we are for sure after Xic, there are still claw marks gouged in the side of the building. The area behind is thick with trees, makes for a good place to hide out." Opening the door Sky slipped inside, propping the sword against the seat again. "Xic will be a lot better at this by now, so evidence will be harder to come by." Leaning over the seat again, she grabbed the file. Flipping through it she found the photos of the scene. The gouges looked more pronounced, if Roger would have put her on this sooner, they could have stopped it.

Edric gripped the steering wheel as he turned the engine on and he sat there letting the engine purr for a few minutes, "We may have a lead in Maine." he said as he looked at her. "Do Vampires develop telepathic abilities as they get older?" he asked her it was a known fact that the oldest of Vampires the Father of their species Vlad Dracula had been powerful to some Vampires he was considered a God. No clear record of his powers existed other than what had been written down by Prof. Hellsing a member of the Order who had battled the Count. "The Vampire said he had one of Xic's men and Myst Maine isn't far I don't trust him but it's a lead besides that forest connects to the town so we might as well go. So a penny for your thoughts?" he asked her. He wanted to go if this was the Vampire who murdered his family he was going he wanted his vengeance wanted to see the blood sucker turn to dust as he ripped out his black heart. His hands on the wheel tightened till his knuckles were white and he was wringing it like he imagined he'd do to the Vampire once they had the informant. He didn't notice it but his eyes had begun to glow green his rage at the memory of that vampire and the chance to finally have his revenge seemed to roll off him in waves. He waited though waited to hear her thoughts whether she'd go along or suggest splitting up an option he wanted to avoid but revenge had never been closer.

(Wow, this is pretty weak babe, sorry)

Sky raised a brow as she watched him grip the steering wheel. He was on edge, that much she could tell. About what she had no clue, though she would be enlightened shortly. Shifting a little in her seat, "uumm, yeah sure they develop the ability over time. It starts out with just a connection to other vampires. Eventually it can be targeted at anyone they wish." She wondered where he was going with this. "We are talking an age in the high hundreds though, close to a thousand. Why do you..." Her last sentence was cut short as he continued. Spinning around to face him fully, "what vampire... there are none here?" If their were any close by she would have smelled them, the sickening sweet aroma would have alerted her. Her hand gripped the hilt of her sword, while the other the gun on her hip. She looked out towards the store and surrounding area. "Why is he talking to you," she asked a little on edge herself now. "What I think you should do right now.. is just drive."

Her mind had completely skipped over the part about Myst Maine, it would hit her eventually though. Sky's mind raced through the possibilites of what this meant. More then likely it was a trap, but for who was the question. "Well we clearly need to follow up on this, we just need to be extra careful." She pulled the gun from it's holster, wanting it ready to shoot at a seconds notice. "We are not dealing with a weak vampire here, if he can send you messages. If he was weaker he would have sent them to me, I'm an easier target."

They drove off heading for Myst Maine his eyes had not stopped glowing and he was silent the entire drive, he looked at her his eyes taking in more details than ever before she seemed to radiate a bright aura. He had never looked at things like this and he smiled slightly, "Beautiful." he muttered still looking at her before returning his glowing eyes to the road though his eyes were not glowing as brightly. The drive was short but still tool five hours the moon was high in the sky by the time they passed the road sign welcoming them to Myst. The streets were quiet vacant and Edric slowed down to almost a crawl as they passed the darkened stores as a fog began to roll in, "Yeah this is a ghost town alright." he said as he drove on toward the center of town. They stopped as their headlights fell upon two figures one standing the other on his knees and his head in a bag the standing man was as tall as Edric but his hair was slicked back and platinum blonde. He wore long blue coat with gold trim and a high collar Edric's eyes had faded back to normal during the drive but he could tell that this was the vampire from his past he could see it in the maroon colored eyes that looked at them.

"Be on your guard." he said as he got out of the car bringing his sword with him. "Hello Edric been a long time and you brought you little friend how cute." the Vampire said as he smiled mockingly at him. The voice ripped through him dragging his rage back to the surface his hand going to the pistol at his hip but the Vampire continued to smile, "So your after Xic well your a little late to be jumping on this but better late than never." the vampire continued his smile never slipping. "Awww come now Edric I offer an olive branch and you don't even ask how I am I'm hurt after how far we go back I must say your mother was far more accommodating." he said and Edric growled his eyes glowing again. "There it is there's that look that killer you try to hide so hard." the Vampire continued to taunt even as Edric drew his pistol. Edric wanted nothing more than to blow the monster away but he waited for Sky to speak she was a voice of reason and was the only reason he hadn't already pulled the trigger.

Sky had not noticed his eyes glowing, though she probably should have. Her mind and senses though were on looking for the vampire they had on their tail. She was normally the one tracking them, and the fact that this one seamed interested in Edric personally didn't sit well with her. She picked up quickly on the one work he spoke, she could tell it was merely a thought spoken out loud. Glancing at him though to make sure he wasn't going to say anything else. His continued silence ensured her she could go back to watching for the vampire.

They pulled into the town of Myst Maine, and it's name sake was very evident. The fog seemed to close around them. The entire town was vacant, and it looked like it had been for a long time. "I don't like it, will definitely not be buying property out here that's for sure." Body tensing as the two figures slowly came into view. The one standing looked strangely familiar, mainly the eyes that looked to match her own. Vampires for the most part at light gray, a side affect from dying she assumed. "Heh, I always am when I'm on the job," she stepped out of the car sword held firmly in hand.

Sky's attention constantly changing from the vampire and Edric, who seemed to be fighting an internal demon. Her hand slipped to the .45 on her hip, much about the same time as Edric had drawn his own weapon. By the way the vampire taunted it was obvious he wanted Edric to make the first attack. "What's you angle here vampire, this isn't much of an olive branch if you are trying to get him attack you." For his own sake, Sky stepped with in her partners shot. "If all you wanted was for someone to kill you, you could have contacted me instead." Returning the man's own sadistic smile. Releasing the gun she pulled the sword from it's sheath. "I will even make this fair, no guns."

The vampire looked at Sky coolly as she asked what his angle was, "Poor child so witless to the larger scheme of things." he said as he returned his eyes to Edric. "Your friends as much a monster as I am." he continued as Edric noticed where the mist was coming from where the vampires legs aught to be was merely mist thick and flowing outward obscuring everything for almost ten feet every direction their perfect circle of clear space should have been his first clue. "I want him to stop hunting me." he said as he removed the sack from the other mans head, "I hope this will at least get him to consider a truce." the vampire continued as he revealed the man beneath the sack. The man had been beaten but not enough to be life threatening and Edric didn't recognize him, "This man works for Xic and can lead you to their hide out in the woods." the vampire said moving to smoothly since he wasn't using his legs.

"Why shouldn't I just gun you down right here and now." Edric asked his question made the Vampire smirk, "Because I'm far more powerful than any vampire you faced Half-breed." he said and Edric's eyebrow raised. "Oh yes I know the truth you're far more than just human." the Vampire continued smiling at him as Edric kept the gun on him over Sky's shoulder. "Clever of your real mother leaving you with a priest thought his faith would rub off on you." the vampire said toying with his prisoner as he talked. "Your father's nature won out however it is easier for the Demon rather than the Angel to dominate within a Nephilim." the Angel said and Edric pushed it aside as lies he was human his parents were human. "I can see you're not sure so I'll leave you to your job and your little friends." he finished and the mist faded while red eyes began to glow from every window and alley around them. "If you survive this then I'm sure Xic won't be any trouble." the Vampire laughed as he vanished fading into mist.

The demons surrounded them growling their long claws dragging across the black street the largest of them obviously the leader as Edric took aim at the closest of the monsters. "I guess Vampires go a little crazy over the years." he said as he watched the demons circle them growling and licking their dagger sharp fangs. "Okay he offers a truce just before leaving us in a death trap he had a funny way of asking for a truce." he said as he drew his blade and continued to watch their enemies the man crawled away toward his only hope to leave the town to alive.

Back
Top Bottom