Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hitting a home run with the rookie (Charliesweb7 & Crusade)

"I was thinking exactly the same thing," Evan said softly following the kiss. He smiled and looked into Tara's eyes, his fingertips tracing over her sides. It felt good just being able to experience those new things couples did, from cuddling to kissing to what he'd been able to experience earlier, it all felt so right with Tara.

"I think I could get used to this. With you by my side all season, I might just win the Cy Young," he said with a grin, lifting himself up to kiss her lips once more.

She liked the way his fingertips ran over her body, just barely almost tickling her. She loved that things felt so right with him. That they felt natural with him. She laughed, rolling her eyes at his comment. "Oh please, I would not be the key to your success." She told him, smiling. "You will win an award because you are very talented." She told him. She was trying to boost up his confidence but it was true.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. Talented blah, blah, blah," he said with a grin. "Truth is, I was actually having a pretty hard time adjusting to all of this before you showed up. I mean, I've made some good friends on the team already, but as far as this huge transition, it's kind of kicked my ass. But knowing I have you to turn to, it just makes it that much easier. I'm serious, Tara," he said, looking into her eyes, a look of genuine admiration in his own. He hoped she knew he was being sincere, because for the first time all throughout spring training, he felt really comfortable and his confidence was at an all-time high.

Tara simply almost rolled her eyes at his comment to start with. But she could tell that he was being sincere and really meant it. It was really sweet of him to say that. She smiled at him, grabbing his hand and lacing their fingers. "I am glad you think that way. But of course it is tough. I mean, it is like the transition into high school. Where you are just the new person in a sea of lots of people. But you know, I am sure you will fit in. As long as you don't go all Kobe on them." She teased. "And yes, I know he is in basketball but you get the reference." She replied. If he was humble, then there probably wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Tara was starting to fall for him rather fast. It was a little scary honestly that they seemed to click so well. But it was kind of nice and she really enjoyed it. Who knew what would be going on for them. Maybe married? Would she be a players wife? Hum, not too bad. But for now, she would just enjoy their time together.

Evan smirked. "No, no Kobe," he said, shaking his head at her reference. He looked into her eyes for a moment, a pure admiration there that he wasn't accustomed to finding. He wondered if it had something to do with the fact that she had his brother's heart. Could they have been destined for one another that entire time? It seemed far-fetched, but who knows?

"We should probably get some sleep," he added, knowing they'd both have a busy day ahead of him. Spring training was almost through and they were going to have to deal with demotions, promotions and most importantly, the start of the regular season.

"Yeah you better not be." She told him, smirking a bit. "We don't need another Kobe." She told him. "Or T.O. for that matter." Tara quickly added. She noticed that he seemed to look at her a lot. Kind of wondering if she was the girl? She wondered if they were only because she had his brothers heart. Would they have become this close otherwise? She looked over to the clock, then nodding her head. "Well hey, do you want to spend the night at my place? It might be better than a hotel bed. I can give you a home cooked meal?" She offered him. She wouldn't mind having him sleep in her bed and keep her warm for a change.

He laughed at her sports references, finding it impressive that she had that frame of reference and that it spanned beyond just baseball. When she invited him to her place, he was a little surprised, but it sounded great. Admittedly, he was going a little crazy being in his room so much and the home cooked meal sounded like exactly what he needed.

"That sounds awesome, Tara. Let me just pack an overnight bag and we can head out," he said, rifling through his closet and bathroom before finally getting all of the essentials. He returns to her and slips on a pair of jeans before nodding towards the door. "Ready to go?"

She didn't know everything about every sport. She couldn't tell him every player in the New York Giants or the Miami Heat. But she enjoyed watching other sports as well. But baseball was her favorite by far. Just something about America's favorite past time that caught her eye. Tara pushed herself up, straightening her tank top and going over to where her shirt was. She was buttoning the last few buttons when Evan came in. "Yeah." She added, leaving the last few undone before grabbing her keys, purse and phone.

Tara moved over to him, kissing his cheek before then tugging on his hand. "Come on now." She replied, starting to pull him out of the hotel room.

Carrying his bag in one hand and holding Tara's hand with his other, Evan let her lead the way out to her car. He'd always wondered how reporters lived. It must have been grueling for someone like her to have to constantly be on the road with the team and he was sure she didn't make as much as he did, but he could already tell she was really good at her job and that she enjoyed it.

"I'm calling for you to cook for me every home game I pitch. Just throwing it out there," he said with a smirk, looking over at her as they walked.

With her hand in his, they soon headed out of the hotel and eventually down to her car. She lived in a small one bedroom apartment. Honestly, it wasn't all that bad. It just wasn't super fancy and big. Considering she would be traveling a lot, she had no need for a big place. Unlocking the doors of her late modeled BMW 3 series, she allowed him to slip in before she slipped in herself.

At the mention of dinner, she rolled her eyes. "Since when is that the deal? Who knew dating you meant I have to cook you dinner all the time. Yikes. Heaven forbid we ever got married." She teased, laughing.

Evan laughed as he got in the passenger seat and sat back. "All the time? Alright, think about it this way, Tara. As a number 5 starter, which let's be honest, is probably what I'll be being a rookie in the majors, I'll get maybe 30 starts a year, that's taking into account me staying healthy. If I pitch half of those starts at home, that's only fifteen times over the course of a very long year that you'd have to cook for me. I think that's actually very reasonable, wouldn't you say?" He couldn't believe he actually went through with explaining the scenario to her.

"I should probably wait until I taste it before I call for it, but I'm assuming you're a good cook."

He had worked it all out. Saying just how many game he would be pitching. He was right, it was a much more manageable number. But she didn't want to let him know that right now. So instead she let out a small sigh. "fifteen times over a course of a year. But that is soooo many. I mean, I don't even cook for myself fifteen times." She teased him, looking over. Tara then rolled her eyes at him, lightly pushing him as she started her car up after buckling up. She shifted into reverse and pulled out of the spot. "Oh yeah? You know I could just serve you dog food...if I had a dog." She added, arching her brows at him.

"You're so cruel. I don't know why I'm even with you," he said sarcastically, letting out a sigh as he looked at her from his seat. "I guess if I get dog food, you're going to make me sleep on the floor, huh?" he asked, doing his best to sound as dejected as possible.

It was nice to just be able to joke around with Tara with how serious the majority of their prior conversations had been. Finally, it was as if talking about his brother and the drama that came with it had passed for the time being and they could focus on themselves.

"Well...duh." Tara commented about sleeping on the floor. "I mean, did your early think I was going to let you sleep on the bed? For all I know, you have fleas and ticks and all that stuff." She continued on with the joke. "Are you allergic to anything? Do I need to stay away from like fish or spices or fruits?" She asked him. Last thing she wanted to do was send him to the hospital. That would be a terrible way to start things off.

Tara glanced over to him for a moment before keeping her eyes back on the road. She was glad things worked out between them. It was a big relief to her that they worked things out. That he didn't hate her.

"You weren't saying that earlier," he said with a laugh, giving Tara's thigh a playful pat. He looked at her for a moment before grinning. "Although, I feel like I might start panting whenever I look at you for too long." It was true. Evan couldn't remember ever being so attracted to someone before. The two of them just seemed really good for one another. He hoped it lasted, because a break up given their jobs would probably prove to be a major headache. It wasn't like they could avoid one another.

Tara gave a laugh at his cheesy line. "Wow, do you use that line on every girl you meet? Is that your go to pick up line?" She asked, looking over to him and smiling. The drive was relatively short and she was soon at the apartment complex. It wasn't in the slums but it also wasn't in the ritziest area of Boca either. Then again, Boca didn't have slums really... "You never answered my question though." She added, pulling into the parking spot in front of her place and killing the engine.

Back
Top Bottom