Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Brave New World (Razgriz x darkangel76)

It was one of the toughest things Cora had ever done when she'd left her mother behind. But the woman had insisted she'd go. In fact, she down right demanded it, telling her that she needed to leave the place behind. Demelza Pearce wasn't one to cross once her mind was made up, so Cora had just hugged her mother, kissed her cheeks and rushed out with a watery smile and a bag full of clothes, supplies, just everything she'd need to survive on her own. It had been a hell of a trek, but somehow she'd ended up in Hargard, making her way to the nearby town by traveling with a group that was heading that way so she wouldn't have to make the trip alone. After all, it was dangerous times and she had no idea of life outside her tiny dump of a town.

Cora's thoughts were cut short when she heard the mayor's voice booming over the PA system. A smile immediately lit up her face and she swiped at her dark hair that had fallen into her face that was smudged with dirt. Casting a glance at the tiny plants she'd managed to grow up from tiny seedlings, she let out a soft sigh. They were the real deal, grown by hand, the freshest herbs money could buy! And...they had nothing to do with their hardware shop, however they were a great means for extra cash. She looked up and set her jaw, pushing away from the workbench she'd been stooping over.

"This is it," Cora stated, her voice hushed, almost a whisper. She rubbed her hands along her denim-clad thighs, holes formed at the knees and rips already starting in other areas. But money was tight, so the things would have to do. Besides, the things fit well and were comfortable as hell and who was she to complain?

Just then a blonde head peeked from around the corner, her tongue tsking as she all but stalked toward Cora. Her body was to die for and always made Cora feel like a waif in comparison, but maybe one day she'd come into her own. Or, so she'd hoped.

"You don't approve, Narcissa?" Cora asked.

Narcissa just smiled. "It's not that. I'm just surprised you think you'd actually be chosen to tag along on one of the Caravans is all. You really think Redstone will let you go this time?" Her smile broadened and she laughed, the sound almost musical to Cora's ears, making her cringe slightly.

"Yeah, yeah, I think he will," Cora fought back. "I'm fucking fast and he knows it and my fighting skills are always improving." She paused for a moment, her brown eyes glittering with fury. "Besides, who said I'd need to fight anyway. I've no plans on getting caught." The corner of her lip quirked up slightly and she stormed out, the blonde running quickly on her heels.

"You talk tough now," Narcissa began. Cora stopped dead in her tracks, her eyes staring straight ahead as her heart hammered hard in her chest. Narcissa moved forward, her lips brushing against her ear. "But it's different out there. The rules change. Hell..." Her voice trailed. "There aren't any at all."

Cora turned around, her eyes wild. She gave the blonde a shove causing her to stumble off balance a little, but not enough to fall over. Narcissa was the epitome of poise and it annoyed her greatly! "Fuck off!" At that, she stalked off, hands in her pockets as her dark hair fell over her slim shoulders and she made her way to the mayor's office.

The walk to Redstone's office wasn't long; the Hardware Shop located only a few blocks away. Cora knew Narcissa would be there in short order, but it didn't matter. She wouldn't let the blonde bitch get to her today. She had better things to think about—like the Caravan and getting chosen to go along. Cora let out an anxious breath as she reached the door. Her hands were sweaty and her nerves were raw. She couldn't let them get the better of her now. This was her chance! To prove herself, to help, something!

Cora firmly grasped the doorknob and opened the door. Smiling brightly, she walked inside. "Cora Pearce, reporting in," she said. Behind her, not too far off, she heard Narcissa's groan.

Brian was just finishing on his route when he noticed Cora Pearce talking to Narcissa; he knew she was trying to get herself into the Caravan staff for some time, but Redstone always shot her down due to her lack of experience. She might have hoofed it a fair distance to make it to Hargard, and that was definitely something to be commended. In Redstone's mind she could have gotten lucky the entire time, and that alone wouldn't necessarily make her an asset to this vital operation. Especially with what they were going to be trading for today.

He finally made it to the home of Jerry Hemmingway; at thirty five years of age, he was a veteran Caravan trail boss. He picked up the lay of the land faster than anyone Redstone had ever seen; but then, in the Old World, it appeared Hemmingway had been a Special Forces operative if his past indications were any clue. Plus, the way he and Redstone strategized certainly made the connection a very likely and almost indisputable probability.

Hemmingway, dressed in his usual attire of grey Old World body armor and boots covered in a dirtied black trench coat, was busy getting the eleven man team together: Three scouts, four close range defenders, a driver, a gunner and a reconnaissance expert. It seemed like a lot of people, but in these uncertain times - and even more so today with what was being scheduled to be delivered - it was all hands on deck.

Redstone was waiting to debrief the team when he noticed Cora coming through the door. "Oh, hell no, Pearce. I told you once, I told you thirty times, there is no way you're tagging along. Especially not now, not with what's at stake here. So go on, get outta here before I throw you out, girl. I ain't endangering the Caravan just because you want a taste of adventure." the Mayor growled; this girl was getting to be a real pain in the ass. Every time he called for the Caravan to assemble, she was always there first. He admired the initiative, but preferred to stick with people he knew and trusted.

At this Hemmingway spoke up, having just arrived, "Redstone, I know she's inexperienced, but it's pretty obvious she wants in. Besides, you had Matthews run that other assignment. We are a man down...No offense." He had added that last part as more a playful joke than anything. But he had seen Pearce; she was quite agile despite her appearance and would definitely serve as a useful scout. That was a role that they could not possibly lack; they had to cross some treacherous terrain to get to where they needed to be.

Redstone snarled and bit down on his cigar a little harder; Hemmingway might be right, but that didn't mean he had to like it. "You sure you want to risk it, Hemmingway? Normally I trust your judgment, but I think you're making a big mistake here." Hemmingway just smiled and patted the gruff man on the back, "Well hey, let's tell her what we're doing, and see if she still wants to. If she shows even the slightest bit of fright, she won't come along." The mayor's eyes looked down, shifting a little as the gears turned, before he finally replied, "Fine."

Walking right up to Pearce, he then stated directly as he towered over her, "Alright, lady. You know how the town's been having brownouts? Blips in the electrical grid? Well, the town's central power core's going bad. No power, no electronics. No means of communication with my scouters and scavengers. And we both know the backup generators don't last more than a few hours." Crossing his arms in front of his massive chest, he then added, "The town of Girdershade was willing to donate a working spare, but it's costing us. A ton of food and supplies for them, which means this party is going to have a lot of uninvited guests. The Enforcers don't particularly like the type of core we use either, and they're vicious about 'enforcing their laws'." Giving something between a grimace and a smirk, he then stated, "And don't forget about the bandits out there...They see this kind of haul, they're going to try and take it all for themselves. And they don't particularly like it when their 'targets' resist."

He then got down in her face, snarling a little and his breath reeking of tobacco, "I guess my point is...You might see some people die today. Can you handle that..."girl?" Can you watch someone die because of a mistake you might make? Because your little thirst for adventure overrides your concern for the lives that have to watch your sorry ass?!" Of course, her 'thirst for adventure' was just what he saw from her, even if it wasn't her actual intention. And while he could appreciate wanting to be free...He was responsible for the lives of his people. And he wasn't about needlessly jeopardize their safety because some little girl was scratching at the door.

Hemmingway, meanwhile, just watched on; he wanted to jump in, as he felt Redstone was being too harsh for her. Putting too much on the table at once. And while he wasn't wrong in many respects, he could have worded it less...provocatively. And it seemed others felt the mayor was going a little over the line, especially when some of them scrunched their faces in contempt for his words. But now, it was up to Cora and how she would respond to the mayor's speech.

Cora gritted her teeth as the word resonated in her ears...girl. Yeah. The man had called her girl. Again. She heard Narcissa's soft giggle and could feel the hard stares of others as they slowly began to make their way to Redstone's office. No doubt the bastard would have no problems giving all of them the 'go ahead'. God damn how it pissed her off. Her blood began to boil just at the thought of it. Immediately, her tiny hands balled into fists and she could almost envision Narcissa's smug smile as her perfect face with that perfect pout stared down at her.

Ugh! It was all just way too unfair! She wanted to scream, to shout, to kick something! For a brief moment, Cora imagined her booted foot jerking upwards and connecting squarely between the asshole's legs. Now, wouldn't that be something. The thought gave her satisfaction and her anger began to subside. Just a little. But she was still more than aware of Narcissa smiling prettily and the others looking on with interest. Suddenly, her thoughts were interrupted and Hemmingway spoke up in her defense. She had to admit, it was unexpected, but it was the sweetest thing to watch Narcissa quirk a brow, the blonde's expression turning to one of surprise as her cheeks reddened. If only it made her features less appealing.

Bitch!

Cora took a step back, her brown gaze turning to Hemingway and then back to Redstone once more. The larger man looked furious and more people were slowly gathering into the office, making the space feel hot and uncomfortable. Her insides were starting to knot up once again, her mind reeling over what was to come. She knew that Redstone didn't want her to go, that Hemmingway wanted to give her a chance—though she wondered why now—and what about the others? Well, she knew Narcissa thought she was a joke. Just then she caught sight of Kaitrin, raven waves framing her pale face as she strode in, blue eyes darting about and taking in everything. They narrowed slightly before settling on Cora.

Biting down on her lower lip, Cora's eyes met Kaitrin's and then fixed back on Redstone. The man laid it out plain, holding back nothing as he explained what the caravan was setting out to do and why. She felt a lump form in her throat, the stares of everyone growing stronger by the minute as she stood there in silence, processing everything, what it meant for her, everyone involved...

Death. It could mean her death. If the Enforcers found out what they were doing...it would be the end of them all. As it was, everyone of rank in the town was already at risk for putting together the caravan in the first place. To volunteer? Not to mention venture outside the protection of the city?

Cora furrowed her brows, her forehead wrinkling as she frowned and contorted her face. Narcissa just smirked causing Kaitrin to give the blonde an icy glare. Cora swallowed then, her thoughts racing as she wondered what everyone was thinking in that moment. She glanced about the room, unable to read anyone and feeling more than vulnerable. Taking a deep breath, she turned back to Redstone and licked her lips and nodded.

"I get what you're trying to do," Cora began. "But before I answer..." she hesitated a moment and then sighed, bringing a hand up to comb her fingers through her dark hair while her eyes fluttered shut. "Never. Ever. Call me girl again." Her eyes bolted open. "You can't scare me out of this, Redstone," she said, her own smirk crossing her lips. "It only makes me more determined."

Cora refused to blink as she looked at Redstone despite noticing Narcissa's blanching pallor from the corner of her eye and hearing the quiet yawn that covered up a giggle coming from Kaitrin.

The air was tense like nothing that had been experienced in this office, and no one seemed to dare move for fear of shattering the silence. Redstone and Cora continued their little staredown, neither willing to back off. Most others were impressed that someone like Cora would dare speak so boldly to one as hotheaded and tempermental as the Mayor, others thought she was overstepping her bounds. While it would definitely be useful to have extra bodies on the Caravan, they couldn't accept just anyone into their ranks. ESPECIALLY since their cargo would be a prime target for thieves and the Enforcers themselves, going from and to Hargard no less.

In any case, Hemmingway was more than willing to let her come along now. He was more certain that she would prove viable to the Caravan; very few had the courage to stand up to Redstone like that. That kind of moxy couldn't be taught or even learned, it was either someone had it or did not.

After a while, Redstone stood up, apparently satisfied but not cracking a smile or even showing signs of relief. "I still don't trust you...girl" He added that last part as an unspoken 'fuck you' to her demand. "But you got fire, I'll give you that. Hemmingway sees something you, apparently, and he's my go-to man for this sort of thing. Hasn't led me astray yet..." He then pointed directly at her, adding "And I hope for your sake, his, and everyone else's...that you prove he made the right choice." And with that, the Mayor nodded to his most trusted confidante and left the office to attend unknown business.

Hemmingway broke the tension by chuckling, "Well damn, that's an interesting way to start a transport mission."His bright brown hues scanned the group as he said, "Now that everyone's finally here.....let's break down what's going to happen: We're transporting a supply load to Girdershade since they're being so generous to us. It's our job to meet them half-way, so let's go over our duties."

The man turned his attention to Cora "Alright, I've seen how fast you can run, so you're going to be on scout duty with Jameson, Narcissa and Gray. Your designation is Fire Team Three, and you'll riding ahead in some of the scout buggies. We'll be stopping at regular intervals to have you check for any potential threats on foot. Fire Team One will consist of myself, Wilson, Thomas, and Katrin. We'll be close range support, riding in the other attack vehicles. Harris, you man the transport's onboard turret; anything even looks at you funny, blow them to hell".

He then unfurled a map of the area; the parchment showed a layout of the area, complete with several markings of points of interest and a dotted red line. Pointing to the line, he commented, "This is the route we're going by. We'll be heading into some Gearhead and Ghost territory, but we don't exactly have much choice. Thankfully". Hemmingway laid his pointer finger on a red "X" located on a mesa. "Gregors and Teddy already went on ahead, they're Fire Team Two; they'll be providing overwatch from about three hundred meters on the south ridge. That gives us cover for an escape if things go pear-shaped."

"That 'X' is where the exchange between our team and Girdershade's retrieval unit will take place; when we get there, Fire Team Three will be on perimeter security". His eyes then lifted from the map to glare at Cora, Jameson, Narcissa and Gray, saying with an extremely serious tone, "If you see so much as a jackrabbit get too close, report it in. We can't afford to let anything interfere with this trade. You all remember what happened when the Gearheads got hold of that refined tritium shipment".

A noticeable shiver ran across the group; about six years ago, the Gearhead bandits raided an Enforcer supply convoy and managed to make off with about sixty grams of the stuff. Next thing anyone knew, the Stonewall Settlement was wiped clean off the map in a flash of light. Those bastards used this act of despicable morality as an intimidation and fear-mongering tactic to get any town they could to start paying protection money. However, the moment of remembrance was cut short when Hemmingway started rolling the map back up before sticking it back into the inner pocket of his coat. "Any questions?" Hemmingway then asked, scanning the group to see if anyone had anything to add.

"Well, I'll be fucked..." Narcissa mumbled under her breath, her words nearly inaudible.

Kaitrin had managed to slither closer to the blonde and couldn't help but smirk. She leaned over, her own eyes still fixed on Cora. "How are you taking those these days? I hear your back gets quite a work out."

Narcissa's blue eyes narrowed and she elbowed the raven-haired girl standing next to her right in the ribs. But, Kaitrin didn't flinch, didn't even wobble and that only made Narcissa growl in frustration. "Bitch," she muttered.

"Slut," Kaitrin countered, arching a brow as the corner of her mouth turned up in a sly smile. Turning her dark head, she finally made eye contact with the blonde. "Now hush, I'm trying to listen to Hemmingway." Her saccharine smile suddenly turned stoic as she turned away and slowly moved closer to where Cora stood.

Cora, meanwhile, could feel her heart pounding in her chest. She still couldn't believe she was going...that she was actually going to finally be helping out. Making a difference! Her hands shook slightly at the thought of it and she could even disregard—almost—the fact that Redstone had called her a 'girl' again in front of everyone. But, she figured that rather than dwell on it, she'd save her revenge on that one for when they got back. Because, they would get back. They had to. Swallowing hard, she reached up and began to tug on a stray lock of brown that fell over her a slim shoulder. Exhaling slowly, she turned toward Kaitrin who was making her way toward her, her face beaming in approval.

"Welcome aboard," Kaitrin stated softly with a wink, thick lashes outlining luminous eyes that could pierce the soul.

"Thanks," Cora mumbled, her cheeks turning pink. Across the way, Narcissa just glared.

"Pay her no mind," Kaitrin stated firmly. "Hemmingway clearly believes in you and so do I." The sweet smile returned to her face and she turned back toward Narcissa and fluttered her thick lashes. Cora was just grateful to have a friend's support.

Hemmingway began to assign everyone to groups and Cora didn't miss Narcissa's groan at hearing how the two would be forced to work together. She sighed inwardly. They'd have to get over their differences. This wouldn't be like work at the shop. This was life and death, the good of their people and the town. It was time to set aside the petty shit and get it together. Setting her jaw, she knew she could do it if she had to and, given the situation, there was no choice. She just hoped Narcissa would see it in the same way. Too many lives were at stake here.

"No questions...." both Cora and Kaitrin replied once Hemmingway was finished. But Narcissa just frowned. It was clear she wasn't happy with the set up and bothered by the fact that Cora was joining the ranks. Kaitrin just gave her a glare and the blonde finally shook her head in concession. "No. No questions." But the scowl remaining on Narcissa's face said it all.

Cora just bit down on the inside of her cheek and refused to let someone like Narcissa get the best of her. After all, she wasn't their best scout or their best anything on the caravan. Sure, she could hold her own and had more experience, but so what! She could hold her own just as well—well, she tried damned hard, that was for sure—and the only way to get experience was to get out there and do something. She had the want and will, more than most, so it was about time someone gave her a shot. Goddamn was she grateful for Hemmingway. Hard-headed Redstone was just as narrow sighted as Narcissa.

Ugh, Narcissa. Did she really have to work with her? Wasn't it enough that they had to tend the shop together? Cora sighed and snapped back to reality. Yes. She had to. It was her assignment.

Narcissa walked over to Cora and looked down at her as she ran her long fingers through her blonde hair. "Let Jameson, Gray and me lead, okay?" Her lip curled slightly. "Just follow what we do and maybe we'll managed to get through everything."

"Seriously, Cissa," Kaitin started, but Cora interrupted her, her hand shooting up to stop her friend from defending her on her behalf. Immediately, Kaitrin closed her mouth.

Cora looked at Narcissa and thumped her in the chest. "Oh, I'll follow all right," she stated. "What my own instincts tell me to follow."

Narcissa groaned. "And this is why we're all gonna die."

As Narcissa winced and muttered angry words under her breath, Cora and Kaitrin moved past her in a huff. Cora made sure her shoulder connected with the blonde's, giving her a slight shove. Even though the girl didn't stumble, ohh...it made her feel so much better. Looking over at Hemmingway, not caring what the others were thinking or doing, Cora gave him her brightest and most unfazed smile. "Well now, I'm ready when you are."

Kaitrin just laughed lightly by Cora's side as she looked over at Hemmingway, ready to start their mission. Despite her laughter, her thoughts were dark. This was going to be dangerous and though she believed in her friend, she hoped she truly understood the dangers and terrors that truly could befall them, pride be fucking damned.

Normally, Hemmingway wouldn't have put such obviously conflicting characters together; however, he felt this was as good an opportunity as any to make them realize just how petty their little squabbles were. And there was no better way to do it than have them watching each other's backs. Besides, despite Narcissa being one of his more experienced scouts, she had an attitude problem. Very much 'better than you' for no other reason than simply doing it.

Still, he did overhear their conversation; and as much as Cora had the spirit, she would have to listen to people to more experience. "I like the enthusiasm, Cora. But know this" He trailed as his gaze hardened just a little, not to intimidate her, but to understate the seriousness of what he was going to say.

"Instincts will be good...But Narcissa is one of the best I have. You would do well to heed her instructions, and if you plan on doing this in the future, I suggest you take VERY good notes."

He then turned his attention to everyone else, "All of you head to the front gate. We leave in thirty minutes!" As the group began to file out, he then said, "You stay with me, Pearce. We have some things to discuss." A comment that was audible enough to probably have been heard by Narcissa herself. But everyone knew better than to question having someone stay behind, especially a greenhorn like Cora.

"Sit" he then told her, pulling out the chair in front of Redstone's desk for her. "Cora, I know you want to come along. And trust me, I'm all for you doing it. I think everyone of age in this town should do at least one Caravan ride in their lifetime." He then sat on the edge of the desk, taking off the wide-brimmed hat to reveal his tussled curly brown locks.

"Now, I need you to be straight with me. Have you ever handled a gun before?"

Narcissa gave her blonde hair a flick and didn't even try to hide the smirk that crept along her lips until her smile was all that Cora could see. She had half a mind to push past Kaitrin and just punch the girl in the teeth. After all, she had it coming! Only one problem with that though...teeth cut and often times led to bloody knuckles and the bacterial nonsense a mouth could transfer from one lucky swing just because the urge struck... Yeah, it wasn't worth it and they didn't have the supplies. Thoughts of an oozing hand as pus and guck seeped out of some infected nicks on tender red knuckles came to mind. What good would she be to the caravan if that happened? Not much. Damn! And the idea of Narcissa missing a tooth gave her such joy. After all, the girl was perfect in every way. She needed to be knocked down a peg or ten. Right?

But Cora was brought back to reality as Kaitrin grasped her shoulder and gave it a firm shake. She yawned and gave a tiny wink as she pushed past her and left with all the others leaving Cora behind. Alone with Hemmingway. Cora winced, her eyes darting back and forth as the room emptied out. She began to wonder if she'd been too brazen, second guessing herself and wishing that Kaitrin was still by her side. But there was no one now, just her own wits and thoughts to rely on. Letting out a soft sigh, she licked her lips and sat down.

"I'll be sure to remember that," Cora stated plainly, her eyes locking directly with Hemmingway's. There was certainly no backing down now. She had to prove that she could follow if she was to be trusted. But at the same time, she wasn't going to let anyone, especially the likes of Narcissa—or anyone else—walk all over her. It was time that people realized she was worth something...wasn't she? "Sir, you know I won't let you down." She loosened her grip on the desk's edge and let her muscles relax ever so slightly, her eyes narrowing as she let Hemmingway's next question sink in.

Cora had never truly used a gun. Sure, she'd seen her fair share, had watched the guys take turns practicing. Hell, she'd even seen Narcissa practice a round or two. But she'd never been allowed to touch their weapons and she didn't have one of her own. Silently, she cursed herself for not talking to Kaitrin about this, but her friend always stuck to some weird crossbow she rigged up and was able to rapid-fire six bolts before reloading. Now what was she going to do? Be the chink in their chain? Their weak spot? Her fight skills were still improving and what she really had going for her were her speed and her stealth. She could handle a knife easily enough, but if her opponent was bigger? She didn't stand a chance.

Ugh, maybe Narcissa was right. They were all gonna die.

No. No. Cora wasn't going to let Narcissa or anything else get in her way. She'd seen some fucked up shit on her way to Hagard, saw what others had to do to protect her and others on the trek. And she was tired of sitting back in the shadows. It was time to pay it forward. But it was also time to be honest. Others lives were on the line.

Cora's eyes fluttered shut and she slumped back in her chair. "No," she said, "No, I haven't." Her voice went soft as she waited for the inevitable, but that fire still burned brightly deep within, the one that didn't want to give up just yet. She opened her eyes and looked up at Hemmingway who'd taken off his hat and sat against the edge of Redstone's desk. "But that doesn't mean I can't learn," she added, the corner of her lip turning up into a half smile. "I'm fast. Ask Kaitrin, even Narcissa will have to back me..." she rambled. "Point it, I know what's at stake here." Her expression was serious, her eyes unmoving as she looked up at Hemmingway. "I'm very fast, good with a knife and if you show me how to do something...I'll learn it."

Hemmingway just watched as the wheels turned in Cora's head; he hoped she wasn't trying to think of some excuse, some way of weaseling around the question. His confidence didn't get much of a boost when she seemed to deflect with that statement:

"Sir, you know I won't let you down".

But then she confessed; it was something he had suspected, but it was better that it was out in the open. Besides, learning to use a gun was relatively easy - Until you got your hands on an Enforcer's weapon. But that was beyond the scope of what he was asking; they'd only encountered their patrols a few times, but their weaponry was decent enough to punch through the armor they were wearing.

"Trust me, Pearce...I know that you're a quick study. I just wanted to be sure." he then replied, reaching into his back pocket and pulling out what appeared to be a relatively small pistol. Its surface a dull gray, the chamber held five shots, the cold-forged reinforced barrel strong enough to withstand the force of the over-pressure ammunition it used. "A present for you...But not yet" he then added with his own half-smile, stating "Follow me...We're going to go see how well you can use it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two were now behind Redstone's office, a makeshift shooting range in the back. The design was crude, the targets being nothing more than bullseye rings painted on thin used paper and held in place with twine. "I know it's not a real target, but I just want to see how well you can use it. But first...Some basics" he began, holding the gun in front of her.

"This is a revolver...As you can see, the chamber rotates each time you pull the trigger" Hemmingway told her, pulling the trigger once and showing her what he meant. "This gun holds five of these" the man added as he pulled out one of the bullets; the cartridge was nearly as long as one of her fingers, going from the second knuckle all the way to the tip. "Now...Some others might not agree with me letting you use this handcannon with no experience, but if you can handle this beast, you can handle anything."

He then demonstrated how to pop the chamber out and load in fresh bullets, putting three on for her right now. "We don't have a lot of time, so three shots is all you'll get." he explained, pushing the chamber back in. "Once they're loaded and in place, all you need to do is cock the hammer once" His thumb pulled on the hook-like protrusion on the upper back of the weapon, the metal piece staying in place, "And you're ready to fire."

Flipping the gun over so that the stock was presented first, he offered her the weapon, "Go on, fire one shot at one of the targets. See how it feels."

Cora bit down on her lip as she followed Hemmingway out of the office and into the outdoors. Her heart was hammering hard in her chest as she followed the man, her thoughts running wild as she wondered what he had in store. At least she could rest easy knowing that he wasn't going to oust her from the caravan. Maybe? Oh god...he wouldn't suddenly change his mind would he? Swallowing hard, she caught sight of Kaitrin and Narcissa and a few others mingling about, waiting. Kaitrin gave her a small nod and a cheeky 'I told you so' grin while Narcissa's pretty face contorted into some kind of pout. If only the girl could somehow look ugly and why did she even give a shit? Shaking the envy—as well as the nerves—away and grinning widely at her friend, there was an extra bounce in her step as she continued to follow Hemmingway. They finally stopped once behind Redstone's office.

Plain as day, there were the targets. They weren't anything to look at, but they were practical, their use quite clear to anyone who might pass it by. Cora took a deep breath as Hemmingway showed her the gun—the revolver—he held in hands. He loaded it for her, showed her a few basics and handed it over, pressing it firmly against her palm. The weight of it was heavier than she'd anticipated and it made her wonder just how much punch it could actually pack. Her mouth going dry, she dared to lick her lips, bringing the gun closer to face so as to inspect it a little more closely. She handled it carefully, something she figured Kaitrin would be proud of at the very least.

The was a light breeze as Cora readied herself, her muscles tensing as she gritted her jaw and began to take aim at one of the targets. She could smell something pungent wafting in the air, probably last night's refuse or maybe it was something else. No matter, she had a target to worry about. Her dark eyes fixed on the bullseye, trying to commit it all to memory. She sucked in a sharp breath, her palms getting sweaty as her finger began to squeeze on the trigger.

BOOM!

The kick back was strong, much harder than Cora had anticipated as her feet stumbled beneath her. She bobbled a bit, her focus gone as she looked across at the target in a daze. The sound of feet stomping sounded in her ears as familiar voices called out. "The fuck?" It was clearly Narcissa. There was a pause, Cora shook her head a little and ran her fingers through her dark hair. Her eyes squinted and she saw that she'd missed the target's center, but at least she'd managed to hit the thing. Barely. "Maybe next time," Narcissa added in under her breath. Kaitrin just elbowed the blonde.

Cora's face heated up, her cheeks burning brightly as she looked over at Hemmingway and then at both Narcissa and Kaitrin. She pursed her lips and fired again. There was another loud 'boom' as the gun went off and Cora stumbled backwards. Only this time she was ready for it. The bullet missed the target by a mile, hitting a wall and causing splintering wood to fly toward her friends.

"Yep, we're gonna die," Narcissa muttered almost inaudibly.

Again, Cora fired, this time the bullet found its mark and she'd landed flat on her ass with a wide smile on her lips. She brushed herself off and gave Narcissa a look. Kaitrin's face was pale, almost expressionless. But she didn't have time to worry about that. She'd hit the damned thing! She'd done it! Three bullets and she did it! How was that for a quick study? And all in front of Narcissa. Life couldn't get any sweeter, not in that one moment.

Hemmingway just watched as Cora tried to line up her shot; she had her footing all wrong, but that was alright. So long as she fired one shot, he had a feeling she'd be able to adjust to the weapon's - admittedly significant - recoil. He could just see her flying backwards, gun launching out of her hand right as she pulled the trigger, like some over-exaggerated war movie. He crossed his arms and waited as she looked down the iron sights, lining up a shot.

And when she did fire the gun, he couldn't help but laugh as she stumbled; she was a fairly small person, and this gun kicked like a mule trapped in a corner. He looked to the target she shot; it was quite close to going completely off target, but at least she hit the paper. When she looked at him, he just chuckled, ignoring the fact that Kaitrin and Narcissa had arrived to see the commotion, "Bit stronger than you were expecting, eh? Come on, stagger your stance and fire again."

The second shot went off, missing the target completely this time; a loud metal 'ding' rang out as the bullet pierced the wooden barrier and hit the metal backstop. "One last shot, Pearce." he warned her; maybe he'd make a slight error in judgment letting her use this gun as her first.

Even still, her final shot hit dead center...Though she'd landed on her ass in the process. Not very useful for the frontier, but now that she had the feel, it was all about form. Walking over to her, he held out a hand to help her up, "Well, you definitely need some work, but I think you have the basics." He then took a step back, putting one foot in front of the other to demonstrate a more balanced stance, "If you want better accuracy and not falling backwards, stand like this. Put most of your weight on your front foot; believe me, it helps with the recoil a lot." Of course, there were much finer points to properly operating a firearm, but this was about basics. Besides, he knew he had years of experience on her in this sort of thing, and there were some things that could be only learned and never taught.

Giving her a sincere smile, he then said "We'll see how well you can use it. I'm afraid we don't have much time for more practice." Walking past her, Hemmingway gave her a pat on the shoulder and added, "I wouldn't worry though...I think you're going to be just fine." He then said to Kaitrin and Narcissa, "Alright you two, show's over. Let's head to the gate...Can't keep our friends waiting."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a quick weapons and equipment check, Cora and Narcissa were specifically designated to ride in tandem in one of the four scout buggies. Being single seater cars, it was the best way for a scout to move without being too encumbered. Some of the others, including Gray and Harris, were skeptical of doing this on her very first Caravan run...But it was better to get it out of the way so that they could work together in the future if need be. "Now, Narcissa...I know you two don't get along, and don't be cute and say you do" Hemmingway stated warningly as he leaned on the edge of the buggy, "I'm having Pearce shadow you because you've been an excellent scout. Don't screw with her head, alright? And don't try to lose her in the wilderness out there. Try to teach her as much as you can."

Before she might get a chance to respond, he was already off and talking to Pearce. "Pearce, I want you to stay as close to Narcissa as possible. And for the good of everyone...Keep yourself in check. I already warned her not to mess with you, but don't give her a reason to." Again, he was off and sidling into one of the three close support vehicles, an old M4 carbine strapped across his back: A massive and heavily armored truck, a large high-caliber turret resting on top where Harris sat at the ready and Thomas sat at the wheel. "Everyone set? Alright, we're moving!" he shouted after looking to Kaitrin and Wilson in the other two vehicles, getting on the radio and letting the gate guards know they were moving out.

Within moments, the tungsten carbide reinforced steel slabs groaned as they parted to reveal what Cora had wanted to explore: A vast, wild land, its surface very much barren and clear. "Alright, people! Fifteen meter spread!" shouted Gray, his foot hitting the accelerator as he drove out, Jameson following close behind shouting "Last one out's a Ghost turd!" as he sped alongside Gray out the gate. And like that they were off.

About a half-hour later, they reached the first checkpoint...Now it was up to the scout team to scan ahead. "Pearce, Cissa, Gray, Jameson, you're up. Don't get shot out there." Hemmingway commanded over the radio, stating "Kaitrin, Harris, Wilson, eyes out. Watch for hostiles. We're right on the fringe of the Ghosts' territory."

Cora stared up into the sky, her dark eyes taking in the blue of the sky as she reveled in her moment. She knew it would be short lived, so she wanted to drink it in for all it was worth. Experience every bit of it before it was ripped away from her and the realities of life were smacked back into her face. It didn't take long before she felt that tug back, before she heard the rich baritones of Hemmingway's voice as he spoke and felt the whoosh of air as he reached out his hand to help her up. As she let him hoist her back onto her feet, back to the tasks on hand and the mission that awaited her and everyone else going along on the caravan, she tried her best to tune out the fact that Narcissa was still watching. She still had things to learn. That much was obvious. But it was hard to concentrate with Narcissa breathing down her neck and judging her at every turn.

She just never got a break.

Raking a hand through her hair, Cora nodded. She understood what Hemmingway was saying about her stance and listened to his tips on what she could do to improve. Would it be enough? She sure as hell hoped so, but only time would tell. She just hoped no one's life would truly be on the line when she had to find out. Not really. But who was she trying to fool? It was rough out there. Unpredictable. And she sure as shit had no idea what to expect. This was going to be the real deal. There wasn't going to be room for mistakes. She forced out a loud exhale. "At least I know how to point and shoot now," she said, trying to sound reassuring and hoping to high and holy hell that she wouldn't have to use it, but if she did, that she wouldn't miss her mark. She grinned sheepishly, her cheeks a bit red as she pointed to her head. "And I've got what you said stored up here. Promise." At that, Hemmingway walked past her and had everyone regroup around front.

~~~

Narcissa checked her weapons, everything a 'go' and ready. She was set, her vehicle ready for the caravan. She still didn't like the idea of having to work directly with Cora. After all, she had to see her nearly every day as it was at the shop. But orders were orders. So, she'd do it if that was the deal. But she'd make it clear she wasn't happy about it—freedom of expression and all that. She fluffed her blonde hair before pulling it up into a sloppy, yet secure knot on the back of her head. Her cool, blue eyes narrowed as she watched Cora kick at the ground anxiously, obviously full of nervous energy.

Hemmingway approached and explained how they'd be riding out. Narcissa groaned, but there wasn't much to be said. Personal dealings had to be kept at home, this was going to be a game of survival. She just hoped Cora could hold up her end of things because she'd be damned if she was going to die because some inexperienced twit wasn't ready and was unable to do their part.

"Yes sir," Narcissa drawled, a frown on her pretty face as Hemmingway left and walked over to Cora.

Cora immediately stood a bit straighter, her energy almost electric as she waited for her orders. She nodded and frowned as Hemmingway told her to stick with Narcissa. As if! But his eyes said he meant it and, like it or not, she knew the blonde had more experience. She snickered as she thought more on that one, but shook it off. Breathing in and then out, she steeled herself and nodded. "You got it," she stated, hoping that when the time came she could truly keep herself in check when it came to Narcissa. The girl just had a way of pushing her buttons.

~~~

Before long, Cora found herself doing a final check on her vehicle. Her newly acquired gun was ready as was her trusty knife that she had strapped to her leg. Once everything seemed good, she got into her vehicle was ready to go knowing full well she had to follow Narcissa.

As the gates opened, Cora's dark eyes squinted. The land was barren as the Sun's harsh rays reflected off the ground and anything littered along it. She placed a hat on her head and pulled the brim low as she looked out. The sound of engines roared to life in her ears and she too had her own vehicle joining in the chorus of motorized song. Swallowing hard, she looked up and bit down on her lower lip. Cissa's vehicle went out and she could hear the girl calling out after her to keep up. Without another thought, she pushed on the gas and was close behind the blonde.

After riding for a while, they reached the first checkpoint. Already, Cora could feel the burn of travel and what this mission would mean. Her muscles were tense and her mind running wild as she constantly went over everything she was supposed to be doing. They were now on the fringe of some very hostile territory. The hope was that nobody was around, or very few so that they could easily overtake them or get around them unnoticed. But the only way to tell now would be to have a smaller group go ahead, one that could be quiet, stealthy, alert the others of just what they'd all be up against. Meanwhile, the others would hang back and look for anything obvious and cover them while they could.

Cora nodded as she looked at Cissa and then both Jameson and Gray. The three had done this before, several times. And this was her first. Her legs began to shake at the thought of going out there where Ghosts could be lurking. She'd heard of how vicious they could be and wanted to avoid seeing it first hand if she could help it. The idea of interaction just was highly unappealing 'thank you very much'. But this was her job, her part in the caravan. She looked out into the great unknown, her stomach churning as the bile threatened to rise. She felt a gentle hand on her back—Kaitrin—and she gave her friend a smile.

"I'm fine," Cora stated.

Narcissa just shook her head as she gave both Gray and Jameson knowing looks. But the blonde's smug expression didn't last. She let out a sigh and walked over to Cora. "Pull yourself together. You'll be fine. It's just first jitters, all right? We all got it when we started."

Cora grinned and nodded before looking at Kaitrin and smiled and winked and then left to be with her team. "Yeah, okay," she said trying to right her breathing.

"Come on," Narcissa said and soon she, Cora and both Gray and Jameson were ready to scout out the surround surrounding area.

The decision had been to split up into teams. Since Cora had been ordered to shadow Narcissa, they were a team while Gray and Jameson were another one. Each one took one side flanking their checkpoint since it allowed them to cover more ground and there was enough cover to hide from any possible threats. Cora and Narcissa stayed about 15 to 20ft from each other. Far enough to cover even more ground, close enough to aid should the other need it.

As Cora darted around the fallen rocks, her feet light upon the ground thanks to her small frame and lithe body, she did her best to listen for any odd sounds as well as to look out for any signs of danger. It was slow going and the most intense moments of her life. Each second seemed to crawl by as beads of sweat trickled down her back and between her breasts. She licked her lips, the end almost near, when...

"Ooofff..."

Cora's head jerked around. She'd heard a distinct muffled sound. Was Cissa in danger? Did she trip or fall? What? The possibilities were endless and she was her partner. Her one hand went to the knife on her leg while the other went to the gun on her hip. Was she ready for this? She didn't know. But she had to be! She had no choice. Without another thought, Cora turned around and began to head toward the muffled sound she'd just heard.

So far, the trip was uneventful. Something both good and bad. Even though it had been less than twenty minutes, the utter stillness of the environment made it seem so much longer. Hemmingway had climbed out of his own vehicle and stood tall, hardened gaze scanning in every direction he could see. There weren't many points for an ambush here; nearly all of it was flat land, with some mesas of stone poking up like towers in the distance. They would see them coming a mile away.

By this point, the scouting teams were out of sight and deeper into the front of their travel route. Normally, the Ghosts rarely visited the outermost boundaries, so there was a high probability they wouldn't run into them yet. Evem still...Never hurt to be sure. Why Girdershade chose this spot, when they KNEW there was heavy Ghost activity in the surrounding zones, baffled him. But it was the closest point for both of their teams.

Of all the raider 'clans' out here, the Ghosts were one of the worst: Cannibalism, torture, and human sacrifice, they were an occultist group straight out of a B-grade horror movie. Heavy believers in the spiritual, they would constantly spout nonsense about being the acolytes of the 'Fallen Son' and scream for death to honor their 'dark god'. Many of the members had tattoos covering almost all visible skin, and filed their teeth and notched their ears to take on a more fearsome appearance. Didn't help at all that what visible skin they had was fishbelly white due to their obsessive nature to stay in the shadow.

Then came the Gearheads, maniacs that had WAY too much tinkering time on their hands. Geniuses they might be with machines, they used them to design fearsome weaponry and gagdets capable of taking down even the strongest defended Enforcer convoys. No one knew what kind of armor they wore, but for being raiders with access only to scrap from the many destroyed cities, they made very sleek and efficient gear. They were a force to be reckoned with, that much was certain...Hardly anyone knew it, but a lot of times convoys from the settlements were lost just because the Gearheads were bored and wanted to blow something up. Just because they could...Didn't matter to them if it was a family with children or a cargo transport like them, all were prey to their schemes and toys.

Then there were the Enforcers: Soldiers under the thumb of that tyrant Anselm, blindly following their King's commands to subjugate or annihilate anyone opposed to his unconditional rule. Were the cities clean and beautiful? Were they productive and self-sufficient? Absolutely, but there was no freedom, based on stories he heard from people who left there. Every move made was watched and recorded, every inch of the city surrounded in surveillance. And that applied to every city 'conquered' by him, turning it into a 'District': Giant machines and thousands of people tore each dominated town to its foundation, building it from the ground up.

They didn't care whether someone lived in that home for fifty years, or just moved in: If it didn't fit his image, it was 're-designed'. And once that was done, the land was then further scarred with walled-in pathways of stone and cement, making it spread out from the Central Hub like an infectious spiderweb. And for years, this went on...But the worst came when the young men and women were drafted to become Enforcer soldiers. Hemmingway knew firsthand how ruthless the training was, and how much tougher it had gotten with the rise of the 'Resistance'.

Hemmingway was starting to get lost in his thoughts though; he needed to be focused on the task at hand. He switched his radio to a different frequency, one keyed to each of the scout team leaders; he beeped it twice for Jameson and Gray, receiving a single beep in return signaling an all clear. Everything was good on their end so far; that was good news. Then he switched over to Narcissa's frequency, beeping it twice.

"Hopefully those two are getting along" Hemmingway stated; as much as he would try to let them sort whatever their beef was with each other, he knew that he would step in if the situation called for it. "I wouldn't worry too much, man" he heard Thomas say from inside the armored truck, "Narcissa might an ass, but she knows when to draw the line between business and personal matters. And I think Pearce is more capable than any of us realize. She trekked it all the way from her old home to here...Now I don't know about you, but that's a hell of a haul for someone like her. Give her props, she's a survivor in these lands."

Hemmingway just chuckled, "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Thanks, Tommy". The blond-haired man just laughed, "Anytime, brother. Someone on this team has to see a silver lining."

It was hot and getting hotter as Cora high tailed it around and began heading toward the muffled noise of what sounded like Narcissa. Or, at least, she hoped it was the girl who always seemed to give her high and holy hell. Her mind was racing with all the possibilities, all the 'what ifs' and none of them were pretty. She imagined the blonde having fallen and twisted her ankle or worse, becoming a weak link in the chain as they tried to scout out fringe territory. She pictured the girl playing some kind malicious prank, anything to get her nerves raw and her thoughts rattled. Fucking bitch! Shaking that thought off—and knowing that Hemmingway and the others would be pissed off if Narcissa tried to pull any kind of anything—she heard the sound of stones rolling along something, probably the foot of the nearby mesa they were taking cover by.

Looking up, Cora could see that it wouldn't be long before the shadows engulfed the entire area, plunging the whole vicinity in a shroud of darkness. No wonder the Ghosts liked this place. The Sun was hidden here for a time making it a perfect spot to sneak up on anyone stupid enough to wander in without thought... or someone watching their back. It made her blood chill as it ran through her veins despite the sweat that continued to trickle along her hot skin.

"Ooofff..."

Cora's dark eyes darted back and forth. She heard the sound again. "Cissa! Cissa!" she rasped, her voice hoarse and dry from the heat. Heaving a sigh, she grabbed at her water bottle and took a swig. It was only a sip, just enough to wet her mouth and lips. She didn't want to get her gut going. Not yet. And she still had enough energy in her body that she didn't need to go wasting the ration she had.

Heart hammering hard, Cora raced along the trail she'd followed out, back toward the sound of the voice.

"Cissa!" Cora could feel every nerve in her body firing as her senses went on full alert. Briefly, her one hand slid down so that her fingertips could gently brush the handle of the knife belted on her leg. It was comforting, reassuring. Then there was the gun she had on her hip. Could she fire it if she had to? Ah fuck, she had no choice! She had to do it if it came to that! Their lives were at stake here, so was their mission!

The muffled sounds became louder as Cora made her way back, following the sounds. Her blood pounded in her ears as it rushed through her veins, her head starting to hurt as she fought the urge to suddenly vomit as fear coursed through her body. The sounds were getting louder and then...

There it was...

"Cissa..." Cora muttered, her dark eyes going wide as she looked at the blonde. The girl's body was contorted in several weird angles that she couldn't help but blush. Her arms were splayed above her head, each hand gripping what looked like vines entwined with barbed wire. Tiny nicks trickling with blood shown on her perfectly toned arms and there was a scratch along her cheek that probably needed to be stitched. Meanwhile, her legs were spread beneath her partially bent torso.

Narcissa looked up, her blue gaze finding Cora and zeroing in before she squinted, the anger apparent on her beautiful face. She pushed on the make shift cage, struggling against its weight and getting nowhere. "Ooofff..."

"I..." Cora stammered, taking a step forward.

"Why are you just standing there?" Narcissa hissed, the venom dripping from her tongue. "Get me me the fuck out of here. I don't wanna die! Got it?" Her voice was desperate through the rage that resonated in her tone.

Cora just nodded, her eyes searching everywhere, and she dared another step forward. "How'd it happen?" she asked.

Narcissa rolled her eyes. "Clearly I triggered a trap." She sneered at her own stupidity for not noticing her own mistake until it was too late. This was something she expected the rookie to make...not her! But such was the way of things.

"Ghost?" Cora asked, knowing what the answer would be before the question left her mouth.

The blonde just gave her a look. "What do you think?" she responded. "Just hurry up, I'm bleeding all over the place. The smell will attract them." She paused. "Shit!" She sighed, her hands gripping the vines and wire even harder. "This isn't going to help us at all. Damn it!"

Cora had never seen Narcissa get like this or act in this way before. It was strange, but there was an odd comfort to it as well. The two had always been at each others throats, but now things were different out here in the wild vastness of the wastelands. Quickly, Cora blinked away the daydream and then got out her knife. She began to cut at the vines that surrounded the blonde. It was slow going and even harder to get through the thin barbed wire. A few times, she'd sliced her own flesh on the razor sharp edges, a curse leaving her lips each time causing Narcissa to smirk in response. It was funny how haughty the girl could still be despite the fact that she was the one helping her ass.

"You done yet?" Narcissa clipped, her tone anxious as her eyes began to dart about. Cora heard another stone fall from somewhere, but she had to ignore it. More than likely it was probably nothing. Just the wind or a stray animal making sounds. Besides, she had to get her friend OUT!

"Almost," Cora answered, her hands working fast as the shadows grew longer.

"Well hurry up. This was rigged by someone expecting intruders, you know," Narcissa added.

"I'm well aware," Cora stated, her dark eyes looking up from her work, dark strands covering most of her sweaty face.

"Well, I don't know about you, but I don't want to be in here when they decide to come back." Narcissa paused. "Whenever that is."

A chill ran along Cora's spine. "Yeah, well, I'm nearly there." She let her hands fly over the remainder of the vines and wire and finally cut the last of it free. Narcissa stood up and took a deep breath, her legs a bit wobbly and her arms scratched and the gash on her face looking bad.

"Let's head back. We gotta let them know we found this. There might be more. Might also mean we've got company in the neighborhood."

Cora's face fell, but she knew Narcissa was right. She could hear scuffling not far off and what that meant, she didn't know. And she sure as hell didn't want to find out. The blood they both were spilling was probably enough for any Ghost to track. They had to clean up. They had to make sure the others knew what was out there. If that was any indication, no doubt there was far worse in store. The evidence was written all over Narcissa's face. This was nothing...just nothing.

Without further delay, Narcissa grabbed Cora's hand and tugged her backwards toward where Hemmingway and the others were waiting.

Farther off, a small band of the Ghosts in question were on patrol, checking some of their 'traps' to see if anything was hanging and bleeding. So far, they had nothing. There was nothing they could sacrifice to honor their dark god, nothing to quench the endless screams of thirst resonating within their souls. And they were going more agitated for it.

One of the three, his mouth opening to reveal the rows of sharp teeth in a hiss of frustration as his bloodshot grey eyes came upon yet another empty snare, "Curse them all! They laugh in the face of our God!". One of the others added, his own cobalt hues scanning the horizon, a rusty hand-axe hanging on his hip "Worry not; this is prime sacrifice grounds. We will come across one soon, then we will hold a feast to honor the blood lord". The third said nothing, his own mouth covered in what appeared to be a type of muzzle.

He was one of the 'New Blood', being assigned to tracker with the two others acting as 'handlers', as part of the initiation for him to join their bloody ranks.

Suddenly, the man froze, his gleaming red hues narrowing as he began sniffing the air furiously; he had caught the scent of blood, and it was fresh! "Someone's been caught!" he screamed through the guard, pointing towards a mesa that was about three hundred meters away. "Good work, new blood! You might just get to remove the guard today!" growled one of the 'handlers', the three beginning to sprint towards where the scent was originating from.

Unfortunately, when they got there, the trap was empty and the ties severed; someone had disgraced their lord. "A sacrifice has been stolen! Thrice-damned heretics will pay for their acrimony!" said one, whilst the other took a taste of the blood left on the chains. "Still fresh...They were just here" he grumbled; the muzzled Ghost then said excitedly, "A trail!" pointing at the ground.

The other two came to investigate; sure enough, they could see crimson drops leading from the snare to somewhere unknown. "Good! New blood, lead us to the heretics!" The muzzled Ghost let out a strange laugh as he ran ahead, his eyes fixed on the blood trail as the other two followed behind him.

Meanwhile, Hemmingway and the others were still waiting for the others to come back; they hadn't heard back from Narcissa and Cora yet, and he was starting to get worried. It was over half an hour now, fifteen minutes past the check in time. He didn't want to beep them again in case they were hiding from something, but at the same time he needed to know if things were alright.

"Kaitrin, get ready to move out. Harris, eyes peeled with the turret" he then started barking out commands, but then Harris shouted, "Captain! Look ahead, two inbound!" Hemmingway turned back to the convoy's twelve-o'-clock, pulling out a pair of binoculars. It was none other than Cora and Narcissa!

"Damn it, I hope they weren't attacked..." the man grumbled; he ran out to meet them, only to see that Narcissa and Cora were in fact injured. The former even more so than the latter. "What the hell happened out there?" he asked, taking one of Narcissa's arms to help Cora carry her. They were both trailing blood; that wasn't a good thing. "Cissa fell into a snare, didn't she?" he mused mentally; he knew it wasn't her fault, but this was the last thing he needed. "Kaitrin, get the kit!" he barked, eventually able to rest her on the sidestep of the main truck.

"What happened?" shouted Thomas as they neared the convoy, only to add "Looks like the Ghosts set snares out here again...We're going to have to change our route, Hemmingway. If they're active this far out, going further in is too risky." The Captain just gave a silent nod; Thomas then pulled out his map, his blue eyes scanning the diagram for a viable alternate route.

Meanwhile the Ghosts were still in pursuit, following the blood trail. Suddenly, their tracker stopped, raising his head high to sniff again. "What is it?" asked one of handlers.

"There are more. Many more. I can hear their heartbeats, smell their desperation." said the tracker, starting to move slowly as they neared the side of a small cliff. The three scurried up, reaching the top and crawling till their heads were barely visible. There they could see: Seven or eight of them, all heavily armed. "Our sacrifices are among them...The heretics have taken them!" growled one of the Ghost handlers.

"Curse them...We must retreat for now. Let the others know of these sacrifices. We will have them, for the glory of our Lord!" declared the apparent leader of their group, his green orbs fixed on the group before leading his troop away.

Kaitrin's blue eyes were as wide as saucers when she saw both Cora and Narcissa approaching—fast—up the trail. Cora's dark hair was wild and unruly about her angelic face, making her almost seem unearthly. Even Narcissa appeared a bit savage all things considered, though her beauty still shone through. It always did. She winced at the sight of the gash that marred her face. It certainly was the nastiest of all the scrapes either of them bore and no doubt it was going to cause a stir. Especially given where they were.

"Damn it," Kaitrin muttered mostly to herself. Her eyes drifted down for a brief moment before they locked with Cora's, the girl's fierce with a determination unlike any other. Truly, her friend amazed her sometimes.

Narcissa hissed as people went to work on her cut. She could feel the blood dripping down the side of her face, along her neck. Fuck it all, she probably left a goddamn trail. Might as well be a fucking beacon shouting out, "Hey! Here I am! Right here, you assholes!" She let out a resigned half grunt, half sigh, body flinching slightly as the cut was cleaned.

Licking her lips, Cora couldn't help but stare. Narcissa was taking things rather well. Better than expected and she hated to admit it, but it was rather frightening. She'd always considered the blonde a bitchy bimbo. And while she'd gone and gotten herself trapped in the snare, she was indeed holding her own and knew how to act and what to do when things happened. Plus, she'd yet to cry or whine. Why did she always whine at the shop? Why there and not here?

It was perplexing. It was unnerving. Hell...it was disturbing.

Shaking it off, Cora watched Narcissa get stitched up—about five in all. The needle poked through her flesh, needle in tow, and not once did she cry out. Instead, the blonde just kept her jaw set and her eyes fixed, though she noticed her fingers gripped the edge of the rock she sat upon. Ugh, she didn't know how she could just sit there! Just then, she jumped, her head turning when she felt the sudden pressure against her shoulder. Looking up, she saw Kaitrin, her face stoic per its usual. Now she knew why her friend always had that look.

As Narcissa sat there, she could feel the tears pricking her eyes, threatening to spill. But she'd be damned to let them. She'd already had a hell of a day and she wasn't about to let it get to her. As it was, this was just the beginning. She knew that. And she had to shake off the guilt that she probably just made things more difficult for everyone due to her blunder with the snare. She sucked in a sharp exhale and let it out slowly and then turned to look at Hemmingway and the others.

"I got caught in a snare. Ghost. I know it in my gut," Narcissa said, her voice soft but sure and unwavering. "Not sure how I missed it, but I did." She then looked over at Cora and gestured toward her. "Cora got me out, but..." her voice trailed for a moment and she cleared her throat. "But we both bled." She shook her head, knowing there wasn't much they could do. "My face...our hands and arms." Another sigh left her. "We gotta move. Sooner the better."

Cora tilted her head. She knew the Ghosts were vicious and had heard stories about their brutality. But she'd never seen one in person. Not even on her trek to Hagard. She'd been fortunate enough to avoid that, though she'd still had many run-ins with other smaller bandit groups out there. Honestly though, that was enough. But she knew damned well what a caravan meant, what it entailed. And she'd heard the stories and tales of the Ghosts. Of course, she didn't know what parts were true and what parts were not, but she expected that she'd be learning soon enough.

Kaitrin walked over to Thomas who had the map and was scanning it for an alternate route. "Any ideas?" she asked, trying to sound hopeful and light.

Cora followed, glancing once over her shoulder at Narcissa before reaching them. "Just how far around should we go? Where will that take us?" She wondered what other dangerous territories they'd have to go through if they moved away from their current location. And how would that affect their current ration of supplies for this trip? Ugh, she hoped this didn't mess things up too drastically. It was like Narcissa said...she didn't wanna die.

Thomas looked over the map with Kaitrin; they knew where they needed to go, but getting there was another matter altogether. Anything more to the east was a no-go; that would put them straight into the heart of the crazy, bloodthirsty bastards. Unfortunately, that direction was the quickest way to where they needed to meet up, and they were still outside radio range for the two scouts that went ahead to patrol the area.

"Yeah, I have a few. There's a tunnel farther north that's outside of Ghost and Gearhead territory, but it will add some time to our travel. Really, any other route puts us way too close to those tattooed freaks; and with Cora and Narcissa having fresh wounds, they'll be on us like stink on shit." Thomas told Kaitrin. Hemmingway overheard this, but he wanted to wait.

"Hey, Narcissa...Don't worry about it, alright? The Ghosts set their traps in weird places all the time; no one can really predict where they'll put it. Especially out here on the fringe, you know?" he told her, placing a hand on her shoulder to try and comfort her. He imagined her pride was a bit wounded, what with Cora the 'rookie' having to pull a veteran like her out of the fire.

"Things happen, Cissa. But we can't let it get us done alright? Chin up; at least now you have a good reason to put a bullet in their head if they come searching, right?" he then added with a smile, trying to cheer her up. The man then gave her a few pats on the shoulder, saying to Cora in an honestly praising tone, "Nice work, Pearce" and came to look over the map when the two were stabilized.

"The valley tunnel, eh?" he commented, tracing the route with the tip of his finger, looking at the rudimentary markings and self-made annotations of territorial boundaries. This travel plan would add a fair bit of time, but it wasn't like they had any other choice. Going their normal route was just too risky now. These thoughts whirled in his head as he looked out to his surroundings. It was all so...dead out here. He remembered when there were more trees, not these husks that were struggling to regrow in the barren wastes.

Just then, he was alerted to see Gray and Jameson coming back, their silhouettes a welcome shadow on the horizon; they didn't need to ask what happened when they saw Narcissa. "What's the plan, boss?" asked Gray, his brown eyes hidden beneath the boonie cap he wore as he surveyed the surroundings. Well, now that everyone was here, it would be easier to answer Cora's question.

"Change of route; Ghosts are more active than I anticipated. We'll need to skirt their territory and head north. We'll cut though a valley tunnel that should bypass most of their territory. We'll need everyone to be extra vigilant, since we can't stop. If we do, we miss our window, and Hargard and Girdershade both lose out."

Gray knew there was an inherent risk to every time their convoy went out...But this just seemed bad on so many levels. Then again, they needed to be sure to be at the exchange point within a certain window, or else they would risk unnecessary exposure to the Enforcers. Besides...It was the best plan they had.

"Alright, everyone, saddle up! We're moving in ten!" Hemmingway then shouted, causing everyone to go into a flurry of activity. "Pearce, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Under normal circumstances, we would be adding an additional hour to the trip. If we keep moving, it will be another twenty minutes...I'm sure they can wait. Just between us...Girdershade needs these supplies just as badly as we need that power core. Now go on, get to your buggy...We'll need your eyes out front to watch for trouble."

And soon, everything was hitched and loaded and the troop was off once more. Hemmingway just hoped he wasn't making a bad call.

Narcissa set her jaw, muscles tense as she gripped the rock she sat upon. She looked up at Hemmingway and nodded. He was right and she had to keep it together. This wasn't about letting things get to you. They had a mission to do and a lot of people depended on them to get it done. What was done was done and it was a lesson learned. Glancing past Hemmingway, she caught sight of Cora looking over Kaitrin's shoulder. She let out a tiny breath. Damn, who knew the brat would actually be helpful. At that, a tiny smile crept along her lips and she shook her head, blonde tresses spilling over slim shoulders. She reached up to fix her hair, to pull it back and secure the wild tendrils blowing across her now marred face. Rather ironic, she thought as she reached up and let her fingers trace the stitched up gash.

"Thanks," Narcissa muttered, her eyes drifting to the ground.

Cora was standing close to Kaitrin as both she and Thomas poured over the map. It wasn't long before Hemmingway joined them and a decision was made about where to go. She could feel a chill rising in her blood. But it was now or never. She felt Kaitrin's hand on her shoulder before she moved out and got herself ready to play her part in things.

"Right," Cora mumbled. Pursing her lips, she made her way back towards Narcissa. The blonde still looked a bit bothered by what had happened earlier, but she could see the resolve on her face as well. Knife and gun at the ready, she stood in front of her and gave her a nod.

Narcissa looked up, her body shadowed by Cora. "Yeah, I'm ready. Stay close." She narrowed her eyes. "And make sure your wounds stay clean and bandaged. Got it?"

"Got it," Cora echoed. She'd already cleaned out the cuts and was pulling out some gauze to wrap around the worst of her wounds.

"Good. Can't have those sons of bitches tracking us." Narcissa's face was deadly serious. "Trust me. They will be."

Cora's dark eyes widened for a minute and she nodded in understanding. Without further hesitation, she got onto her vehicle, all her gear situated and she began to follow Narcissa. She could only hope that whoever had set those traps was nowhere nearby and that wherever they were going to have to go didn't cause and further risk. As it was, she knew they'd be adding time, but Hemmingway seemed confident that it wouldn't delay things all that badly. She trusted his judgment. After all, the guy had been doing this for years.

As they traveled further into the wastelands, following the new route that had been decided upon given their new set of circumstances, Cora felt a prickle move up along her spine. Something didn't feel right. It was as if eyes were watching them. It was unnerving. She hoped to high and holy hell that it was just paranoia, her mind playing tricks on her or that maybe she was just hot and thirsty. Or, maybe it was just an animal in the distance...something. It was hard to say, but she couldn't shake the feeling. As the sensations grew stronger, Narcissa began to slow. She signaled over toward Kaitrin.

Cora immediately looked over toward her friend, her raven hair billowing in the wind as she rode. Kaitrin made a strange gesture, one that gave Cora the impression that something was either wrong or needed attention. Regardless, it caused her senses to go on full alert and she began to slow down. Adrenaline pumped through her veins as her eyes searched, scanning the terrain for anything out of the ordinary or amiss. But all she could see was a vast nothingness.

Then she saw it...the valley tunnel.

Cora swallowed hard as she peered out toward the expanse opening below. Something about it made her blood curdle. It was like a one-way ticket to death. If anything was following them...they'd be trapped. Mouth dry, she licked at her lips and tried to push away the fear she felt swelling up inside. There was no way in hell she was going to let that shit get the best of her. Not now, not ever!

"Right then," Cora said to herself as she watched everyone head toward the tunnel. "Do or fucking die." She wiped at her brow. "And I'm not gonna fucking die," she added with a smile.

The convoy trucked along, continuing on its newfound path with a driven fervor. It wasn't needless, though: This Caravan expedition was one of the most important ones they had ever undertaken. This power core would help sustain them for the next few decades, perhaps even longer if the city engineers perfected the means to maintain the system. Though to be honest...Any time they found a power core, it seemed to want to 'condition' itself to their grid.

Nothing could be heard nor seen in the lifeless expanse; how anything survived for very long out here was anyone's guess. Only the sound of the wind to let one know there was something. However, other 'somethings' not only survived out here...

They thrived.

The bandits - while by no means living in the same manner of comfort that most town residents did - were at least smart enough to realize that trade between cities was vital. That meant anything carrying supplies was a target. Especially a cargo like the one Hemmingway and his team were transporting. And over the years, the man had unlearned the negative connotations of 'paranoia' out here in the wastes.

Out here...EVERYTHING wanted to kill you. Literally.

"Get ready to switch your lights on people...Got some blind travel ahead of us. Once we're inside, we're going radio silent in case anything decided to move in." Hemmingway spoke into the radio, his voice carrying out to the individual units. "And Pearce, there's a switch on your dashboard. Just so you're not floundering to find it." he then added as an afterthought.

And just like that, the darkness swallowed the caravan, their vehicles disappearing into the belly of the tunnel. No one knew what lay beyond, if anything. It was certainly a risky move, but one that seemed necessary since they had to deviate from a normally 'safe' Caravan route and risk exposure to the wrath of the Enforcers.

While there was wind outside to provide some semblance of life-related noise...In here, there was nothing. It was a place that Hemmingway had used before, but preferred not to unless the situation absolutely called for it. The low hum of the buggies and main transport echoed off the walls. The lack of light aside from that of the vehicles made it suffocating, the silence defeaning.

There was really no need to tell everyone to watch their surroundings; this environmentally instinctively demanded it.

"Damn it...I always hate using this tunnel. Never know if those damned Ghosts decide to set up shop in here." Thomas muttered, his eyes sweeping every possible direction trying to pierce the darkness that lay beyond. Even with the lamps, it was hard as shit to see even ten feet in front of them. "I know...But at least once we're out, it's a straight shot to the rendezvous point. Then we can high-tail it back home" replied the commander, patting his driver on the shoulder.

Far behind them, the three Ghosts had gone back to their 'altar site' east of where they had encountered the group. Inside the structure were crucified corpses of their victims, dried deep-red blood forming streaks down the makeshift crosses of iron. In the middle of the room stood a great iron basin atop a pyramid-like foundation of stone bricks and adorned with clean, polished skulls around the perimeter of each layer.

There, they explained the situation: Two sacrifices had been stolen from them by a group of heretics. This naturally drew the ire of their Acolyte, a tall lean individual with the same manner of tattooing as his 'underlings', as well as the shining pale bald cranium. Around his waist were skulls of varying sizes: Trophies he had kept as proof of his prowess, as well as tools that he used to receive their Lord's wishes. He held this position of power because he had been seen to glimpse the power of their 'Dark Lord', and was held as a favored one to the God they served.

"You were right to return here." said the Acolyte, his voice raspy as the haunting sapphire hues gazed up on the trio. "Each day, the heretics grow bolder. They laugh at our Lord, mock His presence by stealing sacrifices. Take my Chosen Hunters...They will ensure that these sacrifices are brought to justice." At this, seven more Ghosts - these ones dressed in plate-like armor that seemed to be made of human bone and bound with straps of 'human leather' - appeared from multiple directions and bowed before the Acolyte out of respect.

"Take them and go. Make these heretics suffer for their sacrilege. And if any are left alive, we shall offer them as well." the Acolyte commanded, the three giving a synchronized hiss as a vocalization of their acceptance. And like that, the group was off once more, eager to reclaim their stolen prizes.

And just as the group entered the valley tunnel, the Ghost troupe had been close behind them on a series of rocky ridges to the west. The New Blood was on the ground, his keen eyesight valuable as he looked for the impressions and scuffs in the hard ground. Soon enough, they arrived at the mouth of the tunnel as well.

One of the Hunters commented, "They went into one of the Hallowed Halls...I know where it ends. We shall ambush them on the other side!" And like that, the tracker was called up to them, and they set out to prepare their assault on these heretics. The Dark Lord would be pleased with their service. And so many sacrifices would be had to feed Him.

Cora could hear her heart beating and feel her blood flowing as the sweat dripped down along the sides of her face. She wiped her brow once...twice...and then a third time. Her dark eyes were wide, trying hard to let in as much light as was possible. But it was all in vain given the darkness of the hell they'd just entered. She could just barely make out Narcissa's silhouette in the dim light shining on the blonde's back as she followed her, the thrum of the motor nearly deafening in the silence of the tunnel they traipsed through. It was like entering the mouth of a monster as it beckoned them deep into the pits of fiery acid—no one knowing what laid ahead. Of course, Cora knew she was being silly, her mind playing wild scenarios as fear did its worst on her head. She had to admit, it was doing a number and she had to try fucking harder to shake it off.

Up a ways, Narcissa was trying her best to just keep focused. She had to trust that Cora would follow and listen to the instructions that Hemmingway had given them all. It was imperative that they were followed. No questions, no hesitations. She wasn't quite sure what Hemmingway had seen in her, but while she'd been stitched up, she'd conceded that without Cora along she'd still be stuck in the goddamned snare. At that moment, her one hand balled into a tiny fist, nails digging into her palm. Shaking her head and letting out a resigned sigh, she did a quick glance over her shoulder and then faced forward once more. Yeah, it sucked. But Hemmingway had been right to let the little bitch come along. God, he was always right, wasn't he? She smiled slightly—almost giggling, but refrained since she knew damned well doing so could cost them all their lives—and then thought back to how it was when they all had to work with together and deal in the shop. Things would go back to exactly how they used to be once they got their power core and resumed life. Cora would once again be the smart mouthed brat she knew and she'd just be the bitch who tried to avoid her. Nothing would change. Would it?

Time seemed different inside the tunnel. The darkness made it difficult to tell how far the sun had crossed along the sky. And every little sound that their little convoy made caused Cora to start. Yeah, her nerves were getting the better of her and how she wished she was following Kaitrin instead of the blonde. A tiny pout played on lips and she could feel a rumble growing in her belly. Frowning, she grabbed her water bottle and took a deep sip. Putting the bottle away, she just stared at Narcissa's back. She wasn't happy that she still had to follow her. After all, she was the one who'd gotten herself trapped and needed help.

But...

Cora's thoughts trailed a moment. Not once had Narcissa pulled anything while they'd been gone. Hell, she'd even thanked her. She furrowed her brows as she pondered that and then glanced over in the direction where she knew Kaitrin was driving. She missed being able to talk to her friend and wondered if she'd ever get the chance to again.

As the hours wore on, Cora felt like her head was going to burst. She was tired of the dark and just seeing the minimal light that they were able to make with their buggies. She was used to the sun, the bright sky, all things light. Kaitrin often joked about how her moods changed with the weather. Any time it stormed and the sky darkened, her moods did as well. Kaitrin said it made her easy to 'read' and that Cissa would probably get along with her a lot better if she realized such things rather than acting so self absorbed all the time.

Lost in thought, Cora suddenly saw Narcissa give her a signal. Peering ahead, she saw that the tunnel was opening up. Finally! Finally they were reaching the end of hell! It was about bloody time too! She felt a swell of excitement bubbling up inside! They were getting out of the dark and would soon be in the light...that beautiful, precious light! She'd never take it for granted again! The moment she felt the sun's rays upon her face, she took a deep gulp of air, a smile plastered on her face. Looking upward toward the bright sky, she let a loud giggling shout, "'Bout time!"

Up ahead, Narcissa just closed her eyes and bit down on her lip. Across the way, Kaitrin looked over towards Cora, her face a ghostly white against her black hair.

It felt like an eternity that they were going through this tunnel; but then again, this route would bypass nearly any and all potential hazards. Of course, little did anyone realize just the type of danger they would be running into.

Everyone's mood almost went through the roof when they saw the familiar blip of light, the sign that their journey through the shadow of the valley of death was nearing its end. After this, they could head straight to the rendezvous point. Hemmingway and Thomas both recoiled as the blinding sun hit their corneas with impressive force; both threw hands up to cover their eyes and let them adjust to the newfound illumination.

"Oh, thank god that's over" said Harris, to which Thomas added, "You said it brother." Gray and Jameson voiced their approval as well, everyone seeming glad to be out of that hellhole.

Only to be tossed right into another one.

The main convoy truck suddenly started to shake, before all of a sudden it dipped forward and to the left. Thomas just groaned "Ah, shit...Don't tell me I ran over a fucking cactus or something." He knew it was a flat tire, and for god's sake it was the worst timing in the world to have that happen. "Everyone stop...Something's not right here. We blew a tire...I know for a fact those tires were more than good." And like that, he got out of the truck, rifle at the ready as he said, "Harris, start sweeping. Thomas, lock the doors. Everyone else, stay on alert."

He went over and checked the tire; sure enough, he found particularly gruesome device used to pop the tires: It was a human skull, part of its cranium turned to dust from the force of the wheel running it over, with thick iron spikes sticking into the rubber and holding what remained in placed. He then stood and looked around, there were small ridges that surrounded the exit of the tunnel for a good mile or two. Far too easy for an ambush.

"There's a spare in the back. Everyone keep your eyes..." he started to command again, but a whistling was heard and felt a sharp blinding pain hit his skull for a split second before he was knocked unconscious. A spear then came flying out of nowhere and pierced Gray in the shoulder, a second barely missing Jameson as he reflexively ducked and the tip now embedded in his seat.

"AMBUSH!" Harris shouted, Thomas ducking out of the truck seat and grabbing Hemmingway and the gun to safety. Just then, the Ghosts appeared out of nowhere, swarming the Caravan. "Repent for your sins, flesh! Your blood will honor our Lord!" shouted one of the Hunters as he readied his own spear - the tip made of human bone - and hurled it straight at Pearce. Another two swarmed Narcissa and began closing in extremely fast. "YOU! YOU DARE INSULT OUR GOD? WE WILL BLEED YOU DRY FOR YOUR SACRILEGE!" one of the Ghosts screamed as they grabbed and started to hold her down.

The gun on top of the truck began to belch rounds downfield; these fuckers were quick, and only the ground was getting punished so far. A steady stream of booms could be heard as he fired in short bursts, trying to kill these fuckers. He did get lucky on one; a bullet caught him in the knee, forcing him to stumble. Two seconds later, the heavy turret turned him into red mist, his physical form shredded under a hail of gunfire.

The warmth of the sun was soon forgotten as Cora's eyes burned with tears refusing to fall along her reddened cheeks. There was so much confusion, so much chaos. Her hand reached down for her knife, the gun she had all but forgotten. She glanced back and forth, the noise of guns firing and bodies clashing. It was just too much. Trying to breathe, she looked up and her eyes suddenly were locked with another pair full of wild fury as they advanced toward her. His voice shouted things she couldn't comprehend as a chill ran along her flesh despite the heat in the air.

Bile began to rise in Cora's throat. Suddenly, she was flat on her back, Kaitrin's body on top of hers as she looked down upon her with a grave expression. Then, just as quickly as she'd fallen on top of her, she was whisked away, her screams resonating in her ears as she tried to steady herself. Looking over to the side, she watched Narcissa get pinned down, her still pretty face contorted as she shouted obscenities at the freaks trying to keep her still.

Narcissa continued to thrash in their grip. There was no way in fucking hell she was going to bleed for any of these motherfuckers! "Get off me! Get off!" she screamed, her body bucking and moving as she tried to free herself. Angrily, she twisted her head to the side and tried to bite at the hand nearest her. She let out a furious hiss as her teeth gnashed against rough fingers and knuckles. This couldn't be how it ended. Not like this, their mission failing...and what of the others, of Hemmingway? No this couldn't be the end, not like this.

Not like this... At that, Narcissa felt something wet fall along her face. She could only hope it was tears.

Kaitrin swung her arms as she was grabbed by the hair and dragged backwards. Finally, with a downward thrust of her foot, she stomped on the instep of her attacker and managed to get free. Quickly turning around, she grabbed her crossbow and began firing upon anyone or anything that wasn't familiar. Her blue eyes somehow found Cora, the younger girl's dark eyes were wide and she held her knife firmly in her hand as she tried to quell the fear she saw gripping at her mind and heart.

"Wake up!" Kaitrin shouted over at Cora. She'd already once saved her ass. Her friend needed to get it together.

Cora blinked rapidly, her brain buzzing with all the noise and color that swirled around her. Licking her lips, she looked down and saw the gun at her hip. She reached for it as blood spattered everywhere, some of it finding her as she fumbled and finally managed to point. Her hands shook as she fired. This was definitely not like target practice behind Redstone's office. Fuck. Nothing compared to this shit! Nothing! Again, she fired and again. How many rounds? She only had three left and how many had she managed to actually hit? Panicking, she shoved the gun back in the holster and grabbed the knife once again, the handle warm against her sweaty palm.

This was a blood bath. As Cora looked around, all she could see were tattoos and strange faces closing in as they shouted strange things about a god and blood. And the blood. It was everywhere. She looked down and couldn't even tell whose blood was who's anymore. The red all blended together in one pool of deep, dark crimson.

As Cora gripped her knife, she ran toward the nearest Ghost and shoved her knife hard against his ribs, pushing up and twist. There was a crunch as the warm and wet slicked over her hands making it hard to pull her knife back out. But this wasn't something she could leave behind. Not ever. Yanking the knife free, she watched the Ghost slump to the ground. The nausea was overwhelming, but she had to keep it together, she could let her mind be rattled. Not now. More gunfire swallowed the din of shouts and she crouched low, rolling out of the way. She watched Narcissa and Kaitrin fall out of view as she tried to hide behind some rocks during all the commotion, her body covered in so much blood.

Shivering, trembling, Cora looked up to the bright sky and wondered if this was life in the wastes. She swallowed hard and listened to the guns firing. Clutching her knife, she waited for the moment when she could safely jump back in and help one of her friends because she'd be damned if this was how they'd go down.

One of the Ghosts hissed as Narcissa bit his hand, drawing his own blood, but it wasn't a hiss of anger. It was a hiss of enjoyment, of pleasure. He actually let her teeth rend his flesh, flood her mouth with his thick iron-flavored life fluid. "Ah yes! She loves blood too! It's too bad you were selected as a sacrifice! You would make an excellent Sister of our Lord!" he shouted gleefully, gripping her arms more tightly and forcing her to kneel before his partner, his other hand wrenching her jaw to open and stay that way by digits pressing the temporomandibular joint forcefully. "Maybe the Acolyte will grant her exception, if she show she's willing. But for now, her only value should be silence!" He then gripped her tongue with his harsh fingers and pulled out an oddly clean, curved knife, cackling as the bloodlust overtook him.

Unfortunately their lack of attention would be their downfall; Gray was being tended to by Jameson, his shoulder covered in an impromptu bandage of cloth and gauze, the bloodied spearhead discarded on the ground along with the shaft it was broken from. He looked over and saw that Narcissa was in trouble. "Damn it, Cissa!" he growled, chambering the first round in the lever-action rifle he used. He had to make a choice: Leave his friend, or let Narcissa become mute - an aspect that was kind of humorous. And maybe preferable; she always did love running her mouth and judging others. Would be nice to get some quiet around town for a change; Redstone was bad enough, but having her in the mix just made some days unbearable.

But deep down, he knew he couldn't do that. "Can you use your other hand?" he asked his friend, Gray giving a nod. Jameson gave him a small semi-automatic pistol, something resembling an Old World Colt M1911. "Stay here" he told Gray, running over to get those two Ghosts off his companion. He quickly nailed the first one, the Ghost's back turned and the bullet making his face explode rather brilliantly, the iron round tearing his lower jaw in half; the other tried to turn and engage only to be met with the butt of Jameson's rifle, falling stunned to the ground before being shot square in the chest repeatedly. "Get up, Cissa! These freaks aren't going to kill themselves! Go help the others, Gray's still hurt!" he then commanded, leaving her to deal with what just happened.

The 'new blood' and one of his handlers had fallen away as well, furious that they could not overpower these weaklings. Some of the Hunters had taken cover as well. "We must leave!" said New Blood, only to have his handler slap him and say, "No! Our God demands sacrifice! We must find at least one to take back!"

Thomas was trying to hold off the Ghosts, staying near Harris and Hemmingway. His ears rang from the bellow of the heavy turret atop the truck, his own rifle barking and sending lead downrange. He then felt something heavy hit his back, a loud cackling resonating over the gunshots. "YES! SPILL MORE BLOOD!" shouted the Ghost Hunter, his knife raised to stab Thomas in the back. Another shot rang out, the the Ghost pausing as he looked down at his chest. A fist sized hole remained where his heart used to be, the chest plate he wore having an even larger wound. "My Lord...Let me come to you...Wash me in your sacred blood..." he whispered, eyes rolling up as he collapsed, the life force rushing out as he hit the hard rock.

Thomas turned over to see Jameson rushing towards him, Gray over his shoulders in a fireman's carry, handgun smoking. "Thanks for the assist" Thomas groaned, pushing himself up and the dead Ghost off his body. The roar of the mounted gun drowned out his rescuers's reply, but Jameson shouted "That was Gray, actually! Damn near blew off my ear! Now come on, we need to help the others! Freakin' pale nutjobs!"

While the two mobilized and placed their wounded comrades in the safety of the armored vehicle, Harris was starting to drive them back; two more Ghosts fell to the might of the machine gun, their bodies ripped to pieces by the massive rounds even as they crumpled down dead. "Hey guys, I think they're falling back!" the man shouted after a slight lull, only to have an axe come flying and nearly take his head off, the reflex to duck allowing him to keep his head. "Never mind!" he added as he nailed the shithead that tried to decapitate him. "Go go! I've got you covered!"

As the Ghost fell to Kaitrin's custom crossbow, another jumped from behind a rock and tackled her to the ground, fighting with her to rip the weapon from her hands. "You stole from us! Now you will die for you heresy!" the Ghost hissed, the skull mask hiding the wild green hues only inches from her face. His victory didn't last long though; he was right in the sights of Jameson's rifle. A quick line up of the shot and a round entered the apex of the Ghost's cranium, the bullet shattering a majority of his spine before leaving near the tailbone. "You alright, Kaitrin?" she would then hear Thomas ask, hands coming to help her stand up.

One of said Hunters was trying to figure out the best means of attacking such a heavily armed group; already seven of his brethren had perished, being lifted on the Great Red Current to serve their Lord. His keen eye soon captured a young woman; he immediately recognized the bandaging, she was one of the sacrifices! He could barely contain his excitement, scurrying along the backside of the ridge to get to her to avoid being seen.

He could hear her whimpers, and a cursory peek revealed she was looking back towards where her own were now searching for where his other brothers had gone. The scene was so quiet now, bodies and blood littering the ground, forever leaving the stain of violence upon this unforgiving landscape. Now was the time to strike! And he knew just how to ensure that he would be able to get her.

In the blink of an eye, the Hunter appeared directly in front of Cora, the violence oh so present in his relentless, unblinking gaze. "Ah, naughty naughty! The Acolyte will be pleased to see you again!" the man grinned beneath the mask of human bone, his polearm coming to rest directly at her throat, the tip barely touching her skin. "Yeeeessss....You will make an excellent sacrifice indeed! Our Lord will be very happy to receive your life essence!" he then hissed, grabbing Cora roughly and pressing her back against his chest, keeping the edge of the polearm against her throat.

"Fools! No one defies the Blood Lord and lives!" he then shouted as he stood up, carrying his new prisoner in tow. Jameson and Thomas raised their weapons, but the way he was holding her made it impossible to get a clear shot. Compounding it even more was the fact that rocks were blocking any shots on his legs to cripple him. "That's right...Shoot me, and your friend bleeds to death right before your eyes! Let her go! She will do much better as a sacrifice to our Lord! Her blood will nourish Him, reinvigorate His divine power! She is our salvation! You waste her with such uselessness!" he then added maniacally, turning her this way and that to ensure none would have a clear shot on him. He would bring her back! Their God would have his sacrifice! Nothing could stop him now!

Blood dripped down Narcissa's chin and tears streaked her marred, yet pretty, face. She scrabbled away from the viciously brutal Ghosts who'd been ready to mutilate her in ways that had her entire body shaking. With trembling hands, she pushed herself up off the ground, Jameson's words resonating in her ears. She wouldn't let him down. She couldn't. This was a disaster and any further missteps would cost them all their lives. They couldn't let that happen. It just wasn't acceptable. Taking a deep, yet shaky breath, she pushed her mind to focus.

Kaitrin continued to fire her crossbow at anything she deemed vile. And given their current situation, they were utterly surrounded by the vilest of creatures. Never had she seen so many! Fortunately, she managed to hit a target or two, but they were fast, like spirits in the wind. How ironic given what they called themselves. She let out a small breath and, in that moment of distraction, she suddenly found herself tackled to the ground. She let out a blood-curdling scream and she swore in that moment she saw her own death flash before her very eyes as a searing pain ripped through her body. Her head had cracked against the ground with a hard thud...no doubt she'd have a bruise later. If she even saw later... As she wrestled with the strong body on top of hers, his hands holding her and trying to grab at her crossbow, she wondered if this was truly it.

Struggling to hold on to the one thing that meant her survival and doing her best not to give in to the blackness that threatened her vision, Kaitrin began to fear the worst. Muscles burning, strength waning, she let out a shout knowing full well she didn't have the upper hand. This was how it was going to go. Just then, the sound of gunfire tore through the air and the heavy body on top of hers went limp. A confused but very relieved cry left her lips as she pushed him off, her head throbbing as her vision went in and out of focus, her hearing muffled. Sitting up, she focused on the voice calling her name and reached for the familiar hands she felt grabbing out to help her.

Meanwhile, Cora crouched behind the rocks waiting for her own chance to strike. Everything was happening so fast and her friends were far more remarkable than she'd realized...even Cissa. She cursed silently to herself for thinking the blonde couldn't hold her own. And how could she? She'd gone on these sorts of caravans before. But, she'd helped her, saved her even. Bah, she'd let that go to her head a little. And having to admit that, especially right now, pissed her off. Gritting her teeth, her grip on her knife tightened to the point that her knuckles began to go white. Pushing her dark hair out of her eyes, she peered over the rocks a bit more.

"Damn it," Cora muttered, one fist hitting squarely hitting the rocks she hid behind. She bit down on her lower lip and shivered as she tried to find an opening. But none seemed to be present. It was just a now or never deal and it infuriated her. "Shit!" She licked at her dry lips and set her jaw, readying herself to jump back in.

Cora began to make her way a bit closer to the fray when suddenly her way was blocked. She found herself face to face with the enemy, an image she could never forget and would haunt her dreams. Blinking rapidly, she felt her entire body freeze. She took a step backwards, then two. But that was as far as she got before she was suddenly grabbed and pulled against the large Ghost who'd stood before her, ranting and raving about sacrifices and life essences. Trembling, she could feel something sharp against her throat. There was no getting out of this one. Not easily. And ah fuck...this was far worse than the fuck up Narcissa had made. Anger welled in her veins along with the fear. Just how was she going to get out of this? Could her friends even help her? Would they? They had a mission on their hands. A lot of people were depending on them. What was one life?

Yeah...one life. And a fuck up at that. SHIT!

Cora looked out at everyone as she was held firmly by the Ghost. Her eyes were wild and wet and how she wished she could grab at her gun or use the knife that was all but useless in her hand.

Narcissa looked over at Cora as she was flung wildly by the Ghost holding her hostage. She let out a hiss, her body sore and bruised. Looking over at the others, she waited for orders. But her blood burned at the situation. For as much as she didn't like Cora, she owed her one and no one deserved a fate with these bastards.

Kaitrin's body was locked, her form rigid as she held her crossbow at the ready on the Ghost holding onto Cora. If only she could get a clear shot! She blinked a few times, her vision clouded, still affected by her earlier fall, her eyes trained on the Ghost. But it was useless. This asshole was smart. Smarter than the rest, that was for sure. She could feel panic setting in, which was never good. It was rare that she ever let her emotions go unchecked. She always kept the wall up...it was easier, safer... Again, her vision blackened and she shook her head, shaking it off. Her feet were unsteady underneath her, but she refused to stumble. There was no way she'd take her eyes off the scene in front of her. Not unless ordered.

"Please..." Kaitrin begged softly, almost inaudibly. She just wished there was something they could do right there and then. But it seemed hopeless.

Cora looked out, her body held fast. She could see Cissa's anger, Kaitrin's fear...and Kaitrin was never afraid of anything. Or, so it seemed. Though she knew her friend could put on a good front. Even still, it bothered her to see them and everyone else facing things as they were. And all because of her. They had a mission. This was her fault and she wouldn't ruin this for them or anyone else.

Closing her eyes, Cora mumbled a curse and twisted her head just enough so that she could bite down on the Ghost's bicep. She bit as hard as she could—a cry leaving her lips—and harder still hoping that this moment would give her friends the opening they needed to act. And maybe, just maybe she'd be able to escape with her life. If not, at least any commotion she'd cause could give her friends enough time to escape.

At the sound of Cora's cry, Kaitrin lost control of her senses, her finger squeezing the trigger on her crossbow and firing.

If this wasn't a clusterfuck before, it sure as hell was now. It was never good when the Ghosts grabbed someone; nine out of ten times it meant certain death. And ten out of ten if they made it out of wherever they had snagged their latest victim, the poor bastard in tow. Everyone could see that Cora was afraid and angry, and justifiably so. There was only so much they could tell someone about the wild lawlessness out here, it was only through experiencing it did anyone get the full magnitude of the danger. No one would blame Cora if she never wanted to go another Caravan again...Provided they could give her a next time at all.

And with how this Ghost was constantly moving her around, keeping his bone-plated head behind her most of the time. "Damned Ghosts!" Thomas shouted angrily, his eyes fixed down the rifle sights, just praying for this ugly inked bastard to slip. To do SOMETHING that would give him clear venue to double tap and put him down like the rabid animal he was.

And it seemed they might get their opportunity; Cora bravely tried to free herself by sinking her teeth into the bicep of her captor, forcing him to scream out. And that in itself gave a very small window to act, the Ghost giving himself a flicker of vulnerability, and Kaitrin was all too eager to exploit. But the Ghosts were masochistic just as much as they were sadistic; every day, they bled themselves at the Altar, their own sacrifice for the promise of a good hunt. Of a sacrifice so that they could quench their Lord's endless thirst.

Just then, Thomas heard Jameson shout "Kaitrin, wait!". Then came the oh so familiar 'twang' that accompanied her crossbow. The Ghost smiled and with unbelievable reflexes, twisted his body so that Cora would get hit. The heavy arrow pierced her torso, the armor-piercing tip ripping through her flesh. Miraculously missing any vital organs, it passed through before sinking into the Ghost's shoulder, their bodies now connected by the thick shaft. A wave of pain ripped through him, making him cackle with an eerie and sickening glee. "YES! THE SACRIFICE AND I ARE BOUND IN BLOOD! IT IS I WHO WILL DELIVER YOU NOW, MY SWEET! OUR LORD DEMANDS IT! YOU HAVE TASTED OF MY BLOOD, AND NOW YOURS AND MINE ARE ONE! THE ACOLYTE WILL MAKE ME COMPLETE FOR THIS! I WILL HAVE EARNED OUR LORD'S FAVOR BY RETURNING WITH YOU AS THE OFFERING!" he then screamed, his eyes wild and his voice shrill with joy.

"Damn it, Kaitrin! What the hell made you do that? Are you trying to get her killed?!" shouted Thomas, agitated that Kaitrin - inarguably one of the most level-headed of the Caravan - lost her cool. This was going to hell in a handbasket, and as far as they could see. Thomas could see WHY she took the shot; it was more anger that the Ghost seemed to enjoy and even get excited about Cora's assault and being treated like a pincushion.

The other two Ghosts peered over from where they were hiding, seeing this unfold. The handler grinned, "Yes...She will do. We have done our part, new blood. Now...We may leave and inform the Acolyte that the Bloody One will have his offering. We shall get everything prepared by the time that Hunter returns." New Blood just laughed, his muzzle making the sounds echo ever so slightly, "Their sentimentality makes them such easy things to take." And like that, they left the Hunter to his own entertainment. They both knew these stupid 'flesh' wouldn't dare harm one of their own if they could help it.

At the side of the truck, Hemmingway and Gray were both trying to recover from their wounds; eventually the former started to stir, his eyes opening and the first feeling that of a pounding headache. "Fuuuuck..." the man groaned, holding a hand to his head as he tried to clear the dizziness. "Hem, you alright?" he then heard a distorted voice ask; his bleary vision cleared ever so slightly, enough for him to recognize Gray sitting next to him with a patched wound on his shoulder. "Thomas, Jameson...The others...Where are they?" Hemmingway muttered, sitting up a little more. "Hey, is that Hemmingway? Thank god he's awake...We got a bit of a situation!" he then heard another voice say desperately; it was Harris, the turret gunner.

"They're fine...But the Ghosts hit us hard." Gray tried to reassure, only for Harris to add, "Not OK anymore...One of them's got Pearce, and no one has a shot!" Gray was certainly stunned, stating "What?!" as he turned his gaze to the east. Sure enough, one of the bastards had a spearpoint at Cora's throat, dragging her with him little by little as he kept her in front as a human shield. And it looked like she'd been shot too, a rather large rod of metal sticking out from her shoulder area. "Son of a bitch!" the man shouted, throwing the gun on the ground. His good arm was busted; there was no way he could move fast enough and get a clear shot.

However, Hemmingway soon picked up the gun and stood, albeit with slightly shaky footing. "Hem, I don't think you should be firing anything until you've recovered." said Gray, to which Hemmingway replied, "I always promise to make sure everyone under my commad makes it home. I'll be damned if I let a Ghost force me to break that promise. If he won't give us a shot to take, I'll make him focus on me. The Ghosts need her alive, just as much as we do." Gray and Harris just looked at each other at this; how did he know this?

But before they could ask, he was already off and over the opposite ridge. Thankfully, the Ghost seemed far too focused on them; he just prayed that they could hold his attention long enough for him to get into position.

The Ghost kept retreating ever so slowly, using Cora as the sole means to making sure that he could bring her back to the Altar; no doubt any of his surviving brethren had returned to make the necessary preparations by this point. He had this under control. "What will you do? Is her life really worth the shipment you're carrying? You follow me, you risk losing everything you're carrying to the others that seek to plunder your treasures, hahahaha." the Ghost Hunter snarkily commented. Yes, all the pieces were in his corner.

Just then he heard a click behind him, along with something metallic pressing into the unprotected back of his head. Hemmingway's voice would reach Cora's ears, the tone conveying immense rage. "There's no way in hell we'd leave her behind. Now what will you do? Die for your God? Or live to die another day?" The Ghost froze in his tracks, Cora still facing the others; now they were truly at a stalemate. Hemmingway couldn't shoot the bastard, there was too much risk of the bullet hitting her on the way out.

"You think I am afraid of Death, flesh? Hahahaha, your kind are even more foolish than I thought." said the Ghost, his wild eyes gleaming with delight at the situation. "I will admit, the prospect of erasing life is quite a thrill. Even if the one to die is me." The Ghost pressed his spear tip just a bit harder against Cora's neck, a bead of red trailing down the shiny surface and dripping onto her chest. "Such a vibrant shade of red, it's so very delightful. Who would think this red fluid, something we all take for granted, would be so precious?"

Hemmingway grimaced as this maniac went on about the wonders of blood. His finger tightened on the trigger with each word; god, how he just wanted to blow his freaking brains out! Then he'd see all the blood he'd want! But he couldn't...Not yet.

"Cora...Cora, listen to me. When I give the word, I want you to drop to the ground. Drop like a lead weight. Don't think, just drop...Got it? We're not leaving you behind. It's going to hurt." Hemmingway then stated, his voice firm despite his mind running every possible way this could go wrong through him. Especially since they were still connected by that damned arrow. But he couldn't think about that. His free hand raised up, his eyes motioning to the others that were conscious; Jameson and Thomas readied their rifles, knowing what their leader was going to try. It sure as hell wasn't the best plan, but it was all they could do.

Strange chills ran along Cora's spine as she heard the Ghost's muffled sounds of pleasure leave his lips the moment her teeth sunk into his arm. It was maddening and struck a chord of horror deep within her gut. Never in all the times she'd been told tales about these freaks had her mind conjured up anything close to the truth of what they really were! Wrenching away, she dared to look up and over toward her friends, maniacal laughter filling her ears. Fear then gave way to pain as it seared through her body, white and hot and sharp. A deep warmth radiated from her shoulder and plundered her vision into darkness.

"Kaitrin...Cissa...Thomas...?" Cora wasn't even sure if she was speaking, the names of her friends dancing on the tip of her tongue as the pain swirled throughout her body, her mind. "Hemmingway...Harris...?" It was so bright, but why couldn't she see anything? Where did her friends suddenly go? Panic began to set in. It was the pain alone that let her know she was somehow still alive! As her teeth chattered, all she could focus on was the protrusion jutting from her body, connecting her to this soulless beast that cackled proudly against her and hauled her away like some trophy.

Kaitrin brought a hand up to her head. It was pounding, the ache almost unbearable. She'd hit it harder than she thought, her vision still not quite right as she tried to focus on everything going on right in front of her. Damn it! Now wasn't the time for injury!

Or failure...!

Shaking her head, raven locks swishing about her face, she tried to push the throbbing pulse that rushed through her head away. It was distracting, infuriating. Letting out an angry shout, Kaitrin turned toward Thomas, her face ashen, her eyes filled with fury despite the agony she felt due to the pulsating headache beating inside her skull. This wasn't like her to lose focus or control, especially over her crossbow. So many times she'd faced danger, but she'd always kept it together so long as she had her weapon in her hands. It was like a lifeline, that one dependable friend that never let you down even when your own mind and body began to falter.

Looking out at Cora, Kaitrin winced. She'd fucked up. Maybe it was the fact that it was Cora out there. Anyone else and maybe this wouldn't have happened. Fuck! She'd have to deal with that later...assuming there was one. Stumbling slightly, she tried to focus. Her vision was blurred, still not quite right. She muttered a string of obscenities knowing she was down for the count, at least for the moment.

Cissa bit down on the inside of her cheek, fresh blood rushing against her tongue. This was...bad. Very bad. She'd never seen Kaitrin lose her cool like this and watching Cora only made her gut wrench. Quickly, she turned away from both Kaitrin and Thomas and went to find the others. Just as she found Harris, Gray and Hemmingway—all had taken quite a beating from the frenzy—she watched their leader stand up. Her blue eyes widened. Hemmingway didn't look so good, his wounds fresh and in bad need of treatment. But she could see the determined look on his face. He had a plan and nothing was going to stop him. She wanted to protest, but she knew better. The guy always made the right call...always.

Taking a step back and closing her mouth, Cissa looked at both Harris and Gray. "What's he going to do?" Her tone was serious, reminiscent of Kaitrin. If the situation hadn't been so grave, she'd start to wonder if she'd been hanging around the girl too much. But somehow she already knew the answer. He was going to get Cora back. No matter the cost.

Cora's thoughts were wild as she was slowly dragged back, her body connected to this gruesome bastard. It was unbearable and all there was, was pain. But she was alive. Breathing. Heart beating. But why couldn't she see? Maybe she'd lost too much blood? Maybe the pain was screwing with her senses? No matter...it was probably for the best. Sound was slowly becoming distorted, but she could still make out the voices. The one closest to her was getting agitated. She could tell despite the confident words dripping from his mouth.

Meanwhile, Kaitrin set her jaw. Yeah, her pity party was over. Her muscles clenching, she watched Hemmingway as he readied himself for what was to come. Narcissa was soon standing beside her, gun in hand, though her marred face was drawn. Both looked forward and readied their weapons. It was now or never. They wouldn't fail this time. They couldn't.

Cora took in Hemmingway's words though they were but a whisper to her ears as her head began to loll from both pain and blood loss. She tried her best to nod, her body going numb. She could do this. She would do this. The mission wouldn't fail.

Not because of her...not because of her.

Back
Top Bottom