Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Moonlighting 14: Shitting Literacy

LadyLarunai

Super-Earth
This weeks topics are Books, World building and where all the dice went.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7GREU6deIo&feature=youtu.be[/video]

This weeks crew:
Darkangel76
Broomhandle45
Nihilistic_Impact
Arisilde
LadyLarunai
Special guest:
Attilla the loud Jingly Cat

Running Time: 1:29:36

00:20 - Intro Music
00:52 - Introductions
03:26 - Book Talk
49:14 - World Building
01:29:16 - Outro

Links:

KoboldGuide -Worldbuilding

The Wayfarer Redemption

White Luck Warrior by Scott Bakker

Spice and Wolf Vol 1 by Isuna Hasekura

Live in a Medieval Village

The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare - City of Bones

Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth - includes Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened

Dragon Lance - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Fortunately, the Milk

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ocean-End-Lane-Novel/dp/0062255657/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387277157&sr=8-1&keywords=ocean+end+of+lane

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets

World building exercise:
Genre - Fantasy
Sub-Genre - Horror Fantasy (necromancer raising the dead, controlling the soul in bodies)
Cultural Basis - stone structures, gothic architecture, regimented society, cremations
Technology - steampunkish, crude explosives
Setting -
Plot Hook - exorcist, knights templar, van helsing theme

Feel free to join us on the Chat

Follow us on Twitter

Feel free to comment, discuss and suggest new topics we can't wait to hear from you.

YAY for books and for world building!

If anyone has read any of the above books, please feel free to give your 2 cents! I know I'd love to hear what others have to say. XD

As for the world building, in case anyone might have troubles recalling what was said in the podcast, here is a reminder:

Genre - Fantasy
Sub-Genre - Horror Fantasy (necromancer raising the dead, controlling the soul in bodies)
Cultural Basis - stone structures, gothic architecture, regimented society, cremations
Technology - steampunkish, crude explosives
Setting -
Plot Hook - exorcist, knights templar, van helsing theme

Feel free to discuss/expand upon this! We'd love to hear what others have to say about it and to build it up/flesh it out more... who knows what might happen!!! :)

Hey DarkAngel,

Just a short post, which I might expand on later. I just randomly came across this thread and was going through the list of books, thinking 'no, no, no, not my typical read", until I came to the very last one!

I'm about 200 pages from the end of "Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets" at this very moment. I tend to read a lot of non-fiction, and I'm finding it interesting as my father was/is a journalist and worked the crime beat here in Australia. I'm trying to relate the methods of the police and the crimes themselves to the stories I've grown up with and the differences in the gang/gun culture between the two countries.

Also, I'm hoping like hell that they find the killer of LaTonya Wallace.

Sorry to be getting to this a bit late.... I haven't read the Homicide book, though you've brought up some interesting thoughts to be sure.

As for all the books on the list, most of them seem pretty interesting to me. At least in some way or another. I definitely think there is something on there for everyone since so many areas were brushed upon. We'll all definitely have to have another book discussion/conversation again one of these days in the future. Or maybe a movie discussion/conversation and spread the wealth around to other forms of media. XD

I should also mention that the World Building exercise was quite fun. It's had me thinking about a fair number things since we did that. Hopefully those who've given the podcast a listen will have things to contribute. I'd love to see what others have to say too. *nods*

Back
Top Bottom