Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Love Sucks (Mercenary+Shani)

Mercenary

Supernova
Jacques McCoy was a hunter. A mercenary hunter to be more specific. He was paid to 'exterminate infestations', and be was one of the best. Jacques had killed hundreds of vampires, along with a few werewolves and other 'supernaturals', all by the age of 21. He had devoted his life to it, and especially to hunting vampires. And that's why he had come to this town.

Jacques had gotten a call earlier in the week about various supposed vampire sitings in this area, along with a string of similar murders. Corpses missing large amounts of blood with only two holes in their neck. It was a dead giveaway. Jacques stared into the mirror in the motel room he had. Soon enough it would be dark. The vampires thought if was their time to hunt.

But he would show them who he real hunter was. Jacques slipped on his ski-mask that only showed his blue-green eyes. The only time he had the mask off was when he was alone or if he was working with a false name and records. The man behind the mask could not be connected to the hunter. It would leave him wide open as a target. He then put on utility straps over his grey shirt. These carried a knife, a holster with his gun, and ammo. But he didn't use normal ammo. That was rarely good enough to kill a vampire. He used splinter rounds, bullets filled with small splinters if wood. A mix of a stake and a bullet. He also had on dark grey pants, black boots, and fingerless gloves. And with that, Jacques slipped out, extremely alert and ready to fight, a determined look in his eyes.

Countess Satine McKnight was one of the oldest vampires, at least in her town being 522 years old. She had seen many things in her time, never really leaving her village, living in the same Victorian manor that her family had when they were alive. Satine wasn't like the others, knowing if she killed her food source then one day the source would die out more often than not she took what she needed to survive and would even bring her victim back to there home putting them put in there bed so they could rest.

Times were changing again, always changing new vampires threatening their ways of life with their foolishness. Beginning to fear that she wouldn't be able to keep up with the times. Living alone most other vampires annoyed her, most came to her for advise, unable to make friends with mortals for one day they would die, it's rather depressing when thought is put into it.

Satine awoke from her slumber rising out of her bed. Looking for clothing to change into. Grabbing a white flowing dress, her crimson curls hung down to her shoulders, her emerald green eyes had a sadness to them. Dressing wearing white flats with her dress. Once the sun went down she stepped out into the night going to her garden and picking flowers, making her way to the cemetery. Placing flowers on the graves of the new victims often passing them in her night walks. Once finished still having move flowers going to older graves the four looked brand new for she kept up with them, Satine put the remaining flowers on the four graves standing still in the night air. Often mistaken for a ghost known as the Restless Countess.

Jacques walked down the dark street alone. He was his own bait. Very few vampires could resist a lone mortal in the middle of the night. And sure enough, Jacques noticed he was being followed. The vampire following him had to be younger, as his stalking was basic at best. And basic wasn't good enough to best Jacques. The vampire hadn't even realized Jacques had spotted him, and advanced more quickly. They began nearing a cemetery.

As Jacques made it to where the sidewalk met the gate if the cemetery, the vampire ran out and pounced at him. Too predictable. Jacques turned as grabbed the vampire as he came down, using his own momentum to chuck him to the ground. The vampire got up quickly but Javques was already infront of him, connecting an uppercut from his fist to the vampire's jaw. An unnerving crack was heard as the young vampire was sent to the ground again. But before he could get up this time, Jacques pulled out his pistol and fired three splinter bullets into the vampire's chest, one of the bullets penetrating the heart and instantly killing the attacker as the shots rang out in the night.

Satine heard a commotion going on outside the cemetery gate. Hearing a fight break out sniffing the air she knew the one but the other was new an outsider, who was alive. The thought had her on edge a human fighting a vampire? That would make the human a hunter, she wasn't sure what was going on coming closer to the spot about to get over there and break it up until she heard the gunfire. She now was in plain sight all she wanted of this night was to mourn her loss but no there had to be excitement. The fog began to roll in soon she could easily do her disappearing trick slinking into the fog and gone but it wasn't thick yet she looked between the dead body and the hunter.

Jacques walked up to the body, checking it's still firm with his still determined eyes. He lifted his gun and our one more bullet into the vampires head. Just for safe measures. You could never be too sure when killing one of these freaks. He stared down at the lifeless form, now knowing there was no way he could be alive. His head suddenly shot up, looking around for anyone else. He could have sworn he saw movement in the cementary.

Satine saw and heard the other shot as the hunter shot another bullet into the lifeless body. She thought it was disgusting he could be more dignified with his kill. It was sick the way humans and vampires treated each other. As the fog grow heavy and thick Satine went into it stopping at her graves again figuring she'd be safe for now so long as the hunter couldn't see her.

Jacques stayed there for a bit, staring into the direction Satine had been. He squinted into the fog, but it was too thick. If someone was there, he wouldn't be able to spot them. He picked up the vampire's body and tossed in the ditch before turning to walk away.

Satine saw where the Hunter threw the poor boy's body and once she assumed it was safe, Satine gracefully went over seeing the vampire's eyes were still open she closed his eye lids. Once she thought it was safe she began to make her way back to the cemetery, not seeing the hunter around making her way back to the graves.

Jacques, however, had gone around and, gripping the beetle bars with his hands, easily got over the fence. He knew ha had seen someone, but who. Friend, or vampire? He jumped down from the fence, barely making a sound. He began walking throughout the cemetery.

Satine made if back to the graves she was by before, paying more attention to three out of the four. She sat there weeding and removing the dead flowers that were there, replacing them with new ones. Once she was finished she sat down taking a deep breath the she didn't need, sighing. "I can't believe it's been this long."

There was the sound of a pistol being cocked behind her as a barrel was pressed up slightly against the back of her. "And what exactly does that mean?" came a voice from behind her questioningly. Jacques stared at the back of the figure before him, almost convinced that she was a vampire. No one else was out this late, and she looked way too young for someone who would say 'I can't believe it's been this long'.

Satine tensed hearing a pistol being cocked behind her an feeling it on her back. Satine wasn't sure what to do she could stay silent, but that may only anger him. "Please sir...I am trying to morn the loss of my family...it isn't polite when first meeting to have a gun pointed at the one you are talking to..." She said gently standing up showing her hands. Satine looked as if she were 22 years, frozen in time being 22 at the time of attack. She turned around to face him, her sad emerald eye's looking at him identifying him as a hunter and as a threat. Satine didn't mean any harm.

"Yeah, that's gear. I'm not much of a gentleman, so don't expect me to be polite. Especially not to your kind." Jacques told her, his eyes narrowing. "Your out awfully late for someone so young. There are dangerous men out this time if night, myself including." Jacques said. He stood there, his gun still aimed at Satine.

"Oh I noticed, I saw what you did to the Jones' boy...you killed him and left him in a ditch with his eye's open. Have some respect for the dead, he was a sweet boy in the middle of learning control...fledglings are temperamental though especially when their sire abandon's them...pity." She stated her hands still in front of her, watching him. "Well sadly I am Photosensitive and can't come out during the daylight or else I will get serious burns and sores, a rare disease it's more common in children and young adults who were born with it..." She explained. Still watching him taking her eyes off of him for a minute to look down at the graves. "My kind...? Do you think I asked for this? Hm..? What do you think it feels like to lose a spouse or children? DO you think we all asked to be damned to be judged by God and not wanted by the devil?" She snapped a bit then calming back down, "Pardon me for that....I lost my temper. but it's always the same with you hunters it really is..." She continued

"Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadows I will fear no evil...I don't fear you nor any man." Satine stated quoting the first part from the bible looking back down seeing her grave that she wasn't buried in, then to her husbands, and her children's.

"Yeah? We've all got our own pity stories. It's like I became a hunter out of the blue. The majority of you kinds are monsters, even the ones who can control themselves. I've seen hundreds of you. You're just a rare acception. And you're lucking in soaring you because if it." Jacques told her, before finally holstering his pistol. "I wouldn't be out here if there weren't murders. If he couldn't control his killing, that's not my problem. Innocents aren't going to die for a vampire to learn." he said, poison in his voice.

"I'm well aware of that Sir, So is your kind, your kind can be classified as monsters. You mortals lie and cheat and steal, you harm each other for your own gain...humans can be just as viscous as the undead." She said she had been around for a long time and had seen many things. "That's just it the living don't have to die to have a vampire learn...the mistakes happen when one is sired and is left on it's own that's when they often become monsters. Most of us live in the shadows we don't want to hurt anyone or to be bothered but as soon as a vampire is spotted it's normally shoot before questions, despite popular believe we have souls and feelings." Satine snapped

"You're typical human doesn't go out on murder sprees for food." Jacques shot back quickly. "And feelings I believe, but a soul? That's debatable. You're one of the few I've met who can argue that. But I have a job to do, and I'm going to see it through. So if you have anything else to say, say it now." Jacques told her, watching Satine. For some reason, he actually wanted to keep talking with this vampire, so he was hoping she would have more to say.

"No the typical human steals and kills for pleasure, robbing the elderly and the frail. Taking televisions that they don't need pointless fighting in the street with guns and knives." She spat back at him. "That's like the debated on whether your animals have souls, yes we are damned but we feel like anyone else especially if we hang onto our humanity, Some of us do feel regret." She continued. "You have fun with your job, I'm going to stay and morn the lose of my family...I was supposed to be with them, but this befell me instead, that was 500 years ago...but our graves look beautiful....consider yourself luck you've met the Restless Countess...many see me 'haunting' the cemetery they think I'm a ghost and that my manor is haunted...ask any villager, I mean citizen they all have different stories they tell about me. Satine shrugged and sat gently on her own tombstone.

"That's not a typical human. Those are gangsters and thieves, and are a small amount of human kind. I'm not saying we're perfect, but we're better than vampires. And regret isn't enough to repay a life." Jacques responded, glaring at her. "And I don't count this anything special or lucky. The stories about you I don't care to here. I've heard your story first hand. I assume if asked you where any other vampires where you'd turn me down?" He asked, still watching her from behind his mask.

"A small portion in every city innocent's die every day fires and murders, we do it to survive, most of us don't mean to. Mortals kill and don't use it the body sits and rots at least a vampire's use a part of it. I never said regret was a way to repay someone." She stated "Sorry wrong choice of words but people flock to try to get a glimpse of a photo, it's good for me I'm not normally bothered by hunters because in there eyes I am a ghost nothing but a spirit. You don't fully know my story, nor do I care. You assume wrong you think I care about the fledglings they give the rest of us bad names. I only care about the ones who actually try to become a respectable part of society. Try the old church it's been abandon for years."

"Well, I know enough. I assume you're a good person, and one I can trust to leave alone. And I know I'm terrible company, but if you need someone to talk to, just call the motel and ask for James Anderson. Thanks." Jacques said, wanting to pay her back for the information and perspective she had given him. It was a rare thing that he got. And he had to admit he sympathized for her loss. Jacques knew what it felt like to lose a family, and how terrible it felt living with it everyday.

Satine sat there blinking at him confused as he said she was a good person, and told her how and where to find him, and his name. "I'll keep that in mind James..." She said with a smile Satine missed having someone to talk to being along in her manor for so long. She watched him figuring he was about to head to the old church to hunt more of her kind.

Jacques hadn't told her his real name. But then again, he hadn't told the motel manager his real name either. He didn't want anyone to relate the masked man with the man behind the mask, especially not anyone with relations to the vampires, or while other vampires could be listening in on them. He walked to the exit of the cemetery, but instead of turning left towards the old church, Jacques went right towards the motel. He was deciding to call it a night, unless Satine wanted to have him over already. Then he could call it a night at her place.

Satine couldn't help but watch him he was different from other hunters, most would have killed her on site or at least tried to. Seeing him turn to leave figuring he was off to the church but he went the opposite way. Maybe they would meet again one day, till then she didn't plan to leave the graves for too long. Satine stood up and decided to go into to to hunt not having fed in a few days.

On the way back to the motel, Jacques hid into an alleyway. The briefcase he had left there was still in it's place. Jacques undressed from his hunting gear and redressed with the civilian clothes inside the briefcase. He then placed his hunter outfit in the briefcase and picked it up. Jacques looked like completely different person now. Infant, he looked like Hames Anderson, the public persona he was currently using. Jacques got into the motel and went to his room, only to find it had been ransacked. Luckily, Jacques had only a few things with him, and nothing of much importance was left in the room when he was gone. Someone had been listening in on his talk with the vampire women, another vampire most likely. He needed to move, now. Jacques quickly redressed in his hunter gear and headed for Satine's house. Hopefully she was home, and hopefully he could stay with her. It was the only other place he could go.

Back
Top Bottom