Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A private tutor

Cain bowed lightly when she said it was delicious, and when she said how she wanted her eggs, he grinned. "Good. So now you know what to make yourself in the morning," and he smiled. He was glad that she had seemed to be gathering up a bit of confidence. "To be honest, it doesn't really make cooking easier as much as lets you cook anywhere, but I can help you make your own kitchen spell," he said with a smile as she kissed his cheek.

"Either way, I'm going to return to my place to prepare myself my own breakfast. I don't have enough ingredients prepared in the fridge attached to that spell and I can't remember where I put my toast exactly so summoning it is out of the question," he said with a coy grin, leaning in and kissing her back for the kiss to his cheek - only his lips touched hers'. He didn't blush or show any embarassment or shyness. "Is there anything else you need before I go home for now?"

Teyha shook her head some when he asked if she needed anything. "No, I'll cook myself something to eat... Toastless." She made a slight face at the thought of the bread. "And prepare for the day..." She looked over at the bed where the clothes she laid out where. "You left me some orders last night that I gotta fulfill.... It'll be a pretty busy morning."

Starting with contacting her mother for money, to go shopping for clothing.... Which would probably lead to her mother joining her to look for new clothes, demanding to know what was wrong with her old clothes. "Erm..." She said as an afterthought. "Could I get a note maybe?" She asked. "Telling my parents I need new school clothes? Otherwise they wont give me the money for things that fit."

Cain frowned as she mentioned that she needed a note from a teacher to get money from her parents, at which point he just shrugged. He looked around her room, finding some paper and a pen and he began to write out a note.

"A Life Sorcerer is a creator... if you can't buy your clothes then you make them," he said, then he gave a small grin. "...Sewing was the hardest part for me to learn to become a Life Sorcerer," he said honestly, before giving her a note.

Miss Lockra has become the apprentice of the Life Sorcerer, Cain. Life Sorcery is a very difficult form of magic which requires both mental celerity and a physically fit body to properly channel life energies for proper casting, as well as having many somantic casting requirements. However, I've noted that Miss Lockra's uniforms and clothes are ill-fitted and will interfere in the proper gestures and motions required to cast high-level spells. I recommend sending the money for three properly fitted outfits and the materials for a sorceress robe. Thank you.

Life Sorcerer, Cain Onyx.

After giving the note to her, he smiled. "That should help."

"I'm all thumbs!" Teyha laughed at the mention of making her own clothes. "And no sense of style or fashion." She did grin and accept the note though, nodding to herself for a moment, running her fingers though her hair. "My mom is a witch, of sorts." She said quietly, a nervous note in her voice. "She knows... Something... Of what life magic is."

She shook her head slightly, and moved to sit on the bed, laying back to stare up at the ceiling, a serious look crossing her face. Her mother would not be happy to know what style of magic she had chosen to pursue, not in the least bit. But, it was not as though she could hide it, and she got the sneaking suspicion that if she tried Cain would be deeply offended. "I'll find a few good outfits, and pick up a book on sewing while I'm out." She said at last, pushing herself up. "I'll.... I'll see you later, right teacher?" She asked, brushing a stray stand of hair out of her eyes.

Cain paused when she quietly spoke of her mother. He closed his eyes for a moment, thinking about it. When Teyha said that her mom knew, he imagined that if she had to ask her mom for money for clothes...

Well, he knew that the woman would not likely approve, and guessed that her family knew of such magic.

So he wrote a new note without being asked.

In these dangerous times, more and more witches and wizards are being discriminated against, becoming victims of hate crimes and having to clash with mortals. As such I've taken on myself to take a few apprentices to teach a low-magic self defense class, of which your daughter is currently taking from me. The class mixes chinese martial arts, a mix of spells from the Time-Space grimoire, and is bolstered by a number of low-level spells from the Life grimoire, primarily to enhance the student's strength and agility. Additionally, the training from the summer course will help bolster the student's mana reserve and help them in all of their spellcasting.

However, Miss Lockra is severely lacking in clothes that will allow her to move effectively, as she mentions her wardrobe is ill-fitted. I recommend sending the funds for her to purchase two properly fitted outfits, a karate gi, and the raw materials to build her own witch's robe.

Thank you for your time and please respond with haste, Sergeant Bartiel-Cain Onyx, Life Sorcerer.

He finished the note and handed it to her, smiling. "My art is discriminated against, and I expect you to wear it with pride. Although... wearing something with pride and waving it around like a flag are two wholly different things," he said. "Will that be all?"

Teyha blinked when Cain took a new sheet of paper, and wrote out a completely different excuse for her needing new clothes. She read it over and smiled, beaming up at Cain happily. "Thank you." She told him, tucking the new note away. "I'm sure this one will go over far better." She hesitated only for a moment before standing, and she wrapped her arms around him for a moment, pressing her cheek lightly against his chest, and gave a content sigh.

Slowly she pulled herself, and smiled up kindly. "Thank you very much for all of this." She told him, smiling again as she bowed. "I'll be the best student I can, I promise..."

Cain chuckled. "I didn't lie, Teyha. You'll learn a few tricks from all those grimoires, and bagua theory ties into some of my higher level wood-type spells, so it's simply another form of truth," he said, shrugging before she wrapped herself around him. Idly, he reached up, stroking her hair, letting her press her cheek to his chest before she pulled away and bowed, and he smiled back. "Good. If you keep that attitude and that optimism, you will one day inherit the title of Life Sorceress," he said.

At that, he figured it was time to go. As the librarian of the school's high-level grimoire library, he had to get to work, and he wanted to eat a little lunch before he got to work.

Well, eat a little lunch and play a little bit of the DDR game that one of the students lent him. Without revealing his slightly impure motive for wanting to return to his own home, he teleported out, once again blatantly shrugging off the powerful anti-teleportation wards. And absentmindedly leaving behind the bedrobe he came into her room with.

Teyha grinned up at Cain as he chuckled, and she was glad to see he was in good humor again. She moved in closer to him for just a second as he patted her head, but let him excuse himself. She didn't notice his robe on the ground, but did stand on her tip toes to pull out a few more eggs, and she cooked herself a small breakfast, unsure if Cain would be able to tell if she had or not.

She showered, brushed her teeth, and dressed, picking up one or two quick things before she decided it was time to stop stalling. She sat down on the bed, and used a low level communication call, opening up the line to speak with her mother.

"Mom?" She called, and waited until she heard her mother answer, sounding all too sweet. "Yeah... Mom... I need you to send a little more money, please. It's for a class, my teacher left a note..."

She jumped slightly when the note disappeared from her hand, pulled between by her mother, and she sat in silence for a moment. "Clothes?" Her mother asked, and Teyha responded with a quiet yes. "You're not going to use these classes to attack Bradyn, will you?" Teyha shook her head silently. "Good. I'll meet you in town, wear something nice for once. We'll pick you up what you need." Teyha sighed and nodded again, disconnecting the line. She stood and stretched before moving out of the room, walking to town. It was a good half hours walk, without teleportation, and she knew her mother would rather leave her waiting than the other way around.

Teyha wouldn't hear from Cain directly for about two days. He teleported a couple of instruction books, some pamphlets and other stuff into her room, but as she likely figured out by that point he was rather arbitrary in what he did. She could have seen him if she went to the high-level grimoire library, but seeing as mostly students who were writing thesis' and instructors were the ones who spent their time up there, it was unlikely that she would have business going up there.

On Tuesday after she got done with her classes, she would have a message to meet Cain at his place. There were instructions of how to get to the small house he had on the edge of campus. He also mentioned 'bring clothes you can move well in' in his note, expecting her by then to have gained the outfits that he mentioned she should have by then.

Teyha got back to her room somewhere late that night, sighing heavily after nearly five hours of shopping, and only six or seven outfits and way too much material to show for it. "I thought the note said two outfits..." She grumbled at the time, and decided to just wait for Cain, but he didn't come that night. Nor did he contact her the next day... She even went to his library, but was politely turned back by some well meaning teachers.

A few long days passed, and Teyha honestly believed Cain might have given up on her. She passed through the school days in a fog, wondering if he might have heard more about her that would make him see her as an unworthy student. It wasn't until Tuesday that she received the note, and blinked in confusion. But she grinned, and quickly changed.

It was a simple outfit, a well fitting white tee shirt and black shorts with enough give to let her move freely. She even bought a pair of boots that laced up to her knees, a simple way to preserve her modesty without disobeying any rules. Once dressed she almost ran out of the school building, following the instructions closely until she reached the tiny home. She hesitated, and slowed, pulling her clothing to make sure they were settled on her, flattened her hair, and quietly, knocked on the door.

Cain had been genuinely busy the last few weeks. Even though he was managing the smallest and least used library, even though his title was 'librarian', it actually was more along the lines of 'security'. He'd planned on visiting Teyha, but somebody tried to break into the library and steal a tome. They got away, but without stealing their objective. Despite popular belief, fights between highest-level wizards only occasionally delved into the sort of titanic clashes of elements. More often they ended with the two wizards never seeing or touching eachother, or even fistfights.

Regardless, he was at home, brewing some relaxing tea. He had to be very careful with the tea mixture he used... the 'relaxant' leaves he used were a super powerful muscle relaxant. Used in small amounts, it was a great way to relax at the end of the day. Used too much and you really couldn't move your muscles were too relaxed. Hearing his door knocked, the redhead stood up and headed over to the door, opening it and smiling to Teyha.

"Ah, Teyha. Did you get the homework I sent you done?" he asked as he ushered her in. He was dressed in full robe and wizard regalia...one would think at first glance, but then notice that it was modified. Heavily. There were no sleeves on his robe, which was odd enough, and rather than having one flowing bit of cloth it split into two bits that billowed around his legs like incredibly loose pants. As he stepped aside, his eyes trailed up and down her body and he couldn't help but smile.

"You look very good. I told you you should stop wearing such baggy things, and it turned out well."

Teyha smiled and jumped slightly when the door opened, and she found herself staring up at Cain again. Quickly she looked down her cheeks flushed as he gestured for her to come in. "Homework?" She asked. "I've been copying the pages out of the magical book you gave me when you came over.... But I don't recall you assigning any homework." She said, shifting slightly as she walked in. Honestly, she didn't remember any homework assignments... She might not have done it all anyway, but at least this time she wasn't lying.

He looked her over, and Teyha couldn't help but to flush, and she moved quickly to the table, taking a seat with her eyes low. "I thought you'd like them, Mr. Cain." She murmured quietly, folding her hands in her lap. She didn't want to admit it... But she was annoyed with him. It was days since he took her virginity and she became his student, and she hadn't heard a peep from the man! Now here she was, in his home, acting like nothing happened, and it irritated her more.

Cain nodded. "I've been unable to leave my work for a few days. I just got home and was able to take a shower not two hours ago," he said. Of course, he felt a little bad for not really visiting or giving Teyha any more messages, but he frowned about the fact that she mentioned not receiving any homework. "I teleported several assignments to your bed," he said in a disapproving tone, but he sighed, shaking his head. His features, physically, looked youthful, but his expression was slightly aged, at which point he took a sip of tea.

"So if you weren't doing the assignments I gave you, what were you wasting your time on?" he asked, admittedly disappointed, though he didn't actually seem... angry. He went into the kitchen to get her some tea. If she was tired he supposed a small dose of the muscle relaxant could work.

Teyha laughed nervously when he mentioned teleporting the assignments to her bed. She often read and doodled on her bed, any books and materials would have probably been gathered and thrown onto her desk in a pile. "I didn't see them." She explained weakly, keeping her eyes low, focusing on her hands as she twisted her shirt between her fingers. She wished she had brought her jacket, if only to have some comfort in this uncomfortable situation.

She tensed at his question further, shaking slightly where she sat, her eyes down. "Not much." She whispered tightly. "I went to classes, and I copied the pages... And I read some..." She brushed some hair behind her ear, shaking her head some. "Perhaps I should go back to my room and get the assignments, I can work on them if you want."

Cain frowned, disappointment reflected in his expression, shaking his head. "Be diligent, apprentice. If you can't notice details like books and papers spontaniously appearing on your bed when you aren't home then you need to do concentration excersizes. Luckily I have a tea mix for that," he said, shrugging idly when she said that she should go back to her room. "No, no, at this point there's no point. Just do it when you get back," he said dismissively before returning to the kitchen.

As he moved around in the kitchen, he glanced back. "Did you think to bring the materials to have a robe made?" he asked, seeming to partially be in another world as he thought, though he wasn't too stressed. The muscle relaxant tea did it's work well. Sometimes too well if he used too many of those leaves.

Teyha could tell that Cain was disappointed in her, and she shifted uncomfortably. "I do my studying on my bed!" She protested with a frown. "I wouldn't notice a few more books on there, I just move it all before I go to sleep." She frowned, and looked down, fidgeting nervously in her seat as he made the tea. He didn't seem to be stressed, but her screw ups were making her more and more uncomfortable. How many times could she forget something before he decided she was an unworthy student? "I couldn't get to the library you work in... I couldn't see you... You didn't tell me you'd poof over assignments to me, you certainly didn't come and see me to tell me... If you send them over, you have to understand that they might not be noticed! Especially since I had no idea you were sending them." She explained, trying her hardest to hide any irritation from her voice.

"I brought the book and the material." She told him softly, glad that she had at least thought of that. "It's just clack cotton, nothing fancy, my mom didn't want to spend any more than that." She said absently, looking down at the pack with a small frown. After a moment she glanced back up, her expression unreadable.

Cain raised an eyebrow. "If you're really studying them then you should notice," he said, as he looked at her fidgiting. He began to prepare a tea mix for her, mostly of herbal teas that help with concentration, but with a little bit more of the muscle relaxant than he used. Actually... a lot for someone of her weight class. He tended to forget that the stuff affected lighter weight people much more than others. He frowned when she started to make excuses, like not being able to see him. "For your information, there was a security breach and I spent the last 48 hours moving the library in and out of pocket dimensions, messing with time and space in ways that are horribly confusing, and spending the better part of yesterday with gravity inverted," he said, looking at her as he moved over to the pasta, stirring it.

After a moment, he pulled the pasta spoon out and poked her in the chest with it, looking seriously. "I'm taking you as my student because I think you have potential and I want to. I'm a librarian and I'm a warrior, not a teacher. If you want to be my student, you have to be adaptable, strong, and figure things out for yourself once in a while. Do you understand, Miss Lockra?" he asked, before going back to stirring the pasta.

Still, he had to compliment one thing. "It's good that you brought the cloth. That I didn't ask you to bring it when I invited you means that you thought ahead and prepared it 'just in case', a good trait for any witch. Is there any kind of enchantment in specific you're thinking of putting on your robe?"

Teyha huffed just slightly at his comment. "I can stare at a stain and not see it, it's just how I am at times." She snapped lightly, before he mentioned what he was doing. She leaned back with a sigh, her eyes closing for a moment as she tried to calm herself. "I can be flexible and strong." She said softly, and rose to move into the kitchen. "Look, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you... I just got nervous when I didn't hear from you."

She stopped when he poked her in the chest, and looked down. A pasta spoon? She glanced into the pot and frowned at the contents. For a second she clutched her stomach, thinking of the horrible pain that followed her eating anything that contained gluten. "You're making pasta?" She asked quietly, before frowning, she took a few steps back before spinning on her heel, and stalking back to her chair, plopping down with a glare at Cain. "Pasta contains gluten." She said stiffly. "I can't digest gluten, it flattens villi in my digestive tract, causing a great deal of pain as well as an inability to absorb nutrients... And I've already told you this! How can you scold me about not paying attention when you can't even remember such a basic fact about me?"

Cain raised an eyebrow when she seemed to try to calm herself... and then when she exploded at him, he almost smiled, impressed by the fact that she was actually capable of fighting back. Of course, he did have to calm her down... but that made him change the mix of her tea as he looked at the fire in her eyes. "You think that's a concern for me?" he asked, standing up with pride.

"Allergies are due to a human weakness. Most people have one or two," he said, grabbing a peanut from beside him and cracking it open before popping it in his mouth, swallowing. "I, for one, am allergic to peanuts," he said, smiling cheekily. "It was my intent the entire time to teach you the spell to resist allergies. It's not a spell to just always use because it's not healthy to use constantly, but you can use it once or twice a week without any ill effect at all," he said, smiling.

Of course, he had just forgotten about her allergy and made a fast recovery, but he had no need to reveal that.

"Tea?" he asked humorously.

"It's not an allergy, it's an intolerance." She corrected, watching nervously as he popped the peanut into his mouth, and announced his allergy. "An allergy is an immune system response, an intolerance is the complete inability to digest, there's a big difference!" She crossed her arms with a frown. "But... I suppose if you're sure I can try... But if I get a stomach ache I wont be able to function for a week." She warned, as he extended the cup.

"Oh, thank you." She told him quietly, accepting the glass with a slight nod of her head. She took a long sip, before setting the cup down, tracing the rim with her finger. "It's delicious." She told him. "Honestly, I'm not a big tea fan, I'd sooner grab a soda."

Cain frowned at that. "An intolerence, eh...? I don't have a spell prepared for that, but I'll research it. I guess I should make something else for you," he said, giving a wry smile as he watched her take the tea, getting a steak out of the fridge. He couldn't really think of anything else that didn't have gluten, and even he wasn't able to create a spell off the top of his head. Making the immune system to shut up and not complain was a wholly different matter from making the digestive system accept something it normally wouldn't.

He got to work on preparing the thin steak as she said she was delicious, and he grinned. "Tea is better. The only reason to bother with soda when you have tea is the fizziness," he said. Of course, you could just get soda out of the fridge and if you wanted (good) tea you had to take the time to brew it, but that was beside the point.

Teyha nodded slowly. "Yeah, it makes things more difficult, I'm sorry." She said, taking another long sip of the tea. She smiled warmly up at him, watching as he pulled a thin steak from the fridge. "I'm really sorry for the trouble,being intollerant to gluten in a pain in the butt. It really cuts down on options." She shook her head slightly, feeling more than a little guilty that he had to prepare two full meals for them just to compensate for her intolerance.

She took one more sip of the tea, and stood, walking to stad next to Cain. "How can I help?" She asked, glancing up. "It's not fair for you to do all the work for a meal to feed us both." She smiled at the last part, and turned, moving onto her tip toes to plant a very soft kiss on his cheek. "And that's an appology for losing my temper. I know I can't expect you to remember everything I tell you."

Cain smiled as she asked about helping. "Just go ahead and sit down, and I'll take care of it," he said. It wasn't very good to be standing when the muscle relaxant tea began to take it's effect, so he wanted her to relax until it took effect so she would be able to better gauge her ability to move. The first few times he used it, he'd accidently relaxed himself into collapse.

"Just sit down and let me work," he said, smiling and humming as he got to work on the food, humming to himself while thinking about how to design an anti-intolerence spell... Hrm, he never had to deal with any food intolerences, so it wasn't something he knew how to deal with...

Teyha nodded reluctantly, and kissed his cheek once more. "Alright, thank you." She told him honestly. She moved back her her chair, blinking slightly at the sluggish way her body wanted to move. She reached her seat, and plopped down into it, shaking her head slightly. But, being dizzy wasn't anything too new to her, and she quickly brushed it off, and carefully picked up the glass of tea, emptying it in another long sip, before setting it aside. She leaned her chin against her hand lightly, finding even supporting herself on the table to be a far harder task than it should have been. "I feel off..." She murmered.

A moment later her arm gave way and she felt herself fall against the table, struggling to move more than a few inches. "What happened?" She asked, as much panic in her voice as was possible with the relaxant in her system. "Teacher?!"

Cain frowned when she began to fall, watching as she fell against the table. He came out of the kitchen and saw her on the couch "Gah..." he said, moving over and picking her up, a deep frown on his features. "I gave you a relaxant tea, but it can't be... that effective, can it?" he asked, looking at her as he placed his hands on her shoulders, before giving a very soft sigh, looking at her as she seemed helpless.

For some reason, a dark thought ran through his head, but he put it aside for a moment.

"Here... just lay back and relax," he said, before moving her to lay on the couch. "I'll have dinner ready for you in a bit," he said, returning to the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom