Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Over rated films

littlerooster

Banned
Banished
Let's talk about films that have either been hyped up or just simply made out to be classics but when you watch them you're just really bored and thinking WTF??

I just watched Deer Hunter, the first time I watched it I was a kid (yeah I don't know what my parents were doing either), I hated it then and now I hate it even more, it is far too long and I don't care about any of the characters and what is happening to them. In fact despite the films length, you never see crucial parts that might help explain some things.

Apocalypse Now another film I saw as a kid, and as an adult I still think it is an absolute bore fest.

Let's get modern.. Avatar Can we say Dance's with Blue People??

So what are some of yours?

Hmmmmmm, I can't say I saw too many classics (I'm 19, so I have missed quite a lot) but from the things I've missed I've been able to catch up with them. For example, I'll have to disagree with Apocalypse Now. It's quite long, QUITE LONG, but it is absolutely worth it and I liked it. It bored me a little as the movie is slow, but it gets interesting, it definitely does.

Over rated films? Of course there are! Saw Movies. All of them. A complete waste of my time. I've watched up to the fourth where I just lost track of it. But overall, it's just absolutely fantastic and nonsensical to the point it gets tedious.

Twilight Movies. I better not talk about them as that subject is quite old...

The Superman movies with Christopher Reeve. Not so much because they were campy or anything but.... I mean, come on. It's fucking Superman, a fucking boyscout that, if not for our sun, would be as weak as any one of us. Against the test of time.... they dont hold up.

Still better than the more RECENT Superman films though.

Oh, and Green Lantern. Ryan Reynolds... no. Just stick to voicing Deadpool and being funny, not being dramatic.

Hey MJ, yeah I have always found Superman to be the least interesting of the superheroes, worst disguise as well lol Funnily enough the original was on tv the other week and I couldn't handle it mostly due to really ordinary acting.

I didn't last more than 20 minutes with Green Lantern, I just didn't care to be honest. Doesn't matter either, they'll do a reboot soon no doubt!

Ahri - When Apocalypse Now is good it's good, but when it is just going through some strange meandering indulgence it gets tiring, I found the same with the Deer Hunter.

Another over rated film for me would be No Country for Old Men, I expected so much more from all the hype and when I watched it I failed to care about the story or the characters.

Mulholland Drive is one. I know wayyyy too many people who thought this movie was the shit. That it was creative and all things ah-maze-ing. Me? I thought it was complete and utter shit and couldn't wait for it to be over. It was a down right mess that was a waste of my time and life.

I felt this way about a few other movies that others have raved about and, interestingly, I do believe they've received some kind of awards or recognition. Though, in my honest opinion? Just... whatever. I thought they sucked and will continue to think so: Being John Malkovich, Heavenly Creatures, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Now, I really do not care who liked these films. Do not try and tell me that they were in any way good because, you are wasting your time and energy and every precious bit of air that could be filling your lungs. I hated them with every fiber of my soul. I wish I could get the time back that I wasted when watching them. The praise they received was not deserved, in my opinion, even if the actors involved are good (and yes, some of the actors in these films, Mulholland Drive included, ARE good). But ehhh... the movies sucked. End of story.

>.<

For me, going to have to go with The Big Labowski. My Gods, that was a train wreck of wasted time and effort to me! There's a few hours of my life I feel would have been better spent head butting a belt sander.

darkangel76 said:
Mulholland Drive is one. I know wayyyy too many people who thought this movie was the shit. That it was creative and all things ah-maze-ing. Me? I thought it was complete and utter shit and couldn't wait for it to be over. It was a down right mess that was a waste of my time and life.

I felt this way about a few other movies that others have raved about and, interestingly, I do believe they've received some kind of awards or recognition. Though, in my honest opinion? Just... whatever. I thought they sucked and will continue to think so: Being John Malkovich, Heavenly Creatures, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Now, I really do not care who liked these films. Do not try and tell me that they were in any way good because, you are wasting your time and energy and every precious bit of air that could be filling your lungs. I hated them with every fiber of my soul. I wish I could get the time back that I wasted when watching them. The praise they received was not deserved, in my opinion even if the actors involved are good (and yes, some of the actors in these films, Mulholland Drive included, ARE good). But ehhh... the movies sucked. End of story.

>.<

Heavenly Creatures is an interesting one, a very disturbing film and given it is a true story I feel like the movie attempted to give an insight into the girls minds, what it failed to do maybe was give a reason as to why they killed, was it really just because one family was going to move away from the other? And how would murder really keep them together anyway? They never saw each other again anyhow. I feel like it failed in that respect.

Fear & Loathing I couldn't deal with, I'm not a drug fan so maybe that is why, it seemed like a drug trip and it didn't grab me at all.

Being John Malkovich I barely remember, another experiment gone dull.

Alvis - yes, The Big Lebowski, another film I tried to re watch recently, it gets lots of references in films and tv shows. What a bore and a sad individual at that.

littlerooster said:
darkangel76 said:

Now, I really do not care who liked these films. Do not try and tell me that they were in any way good because, you are wasting your time and energy and every precious bit of air that could be filling your lungs. I hated them with every fiber of my soul. I wish I could get the time back that I wasted when watching them. The praise they received was not deserved, in my opinion even if the actors involved are good (and yes, some of the actors in these films, Mulholland Drive included, ARE good). But ehhh... the movies sucked. End of story.

>.<

Heavenly Creatures is an interesting one, a very disturbing film and given it is a true story I feel like the movie attempted to give an insight into the girls minds, what it failed to do maybe was give a reason as to why they killed, was it really just because one family was going to move away from the other? And how would murder really keep them together anyway? They never saw each other again anyhow. I feel like it failed in that respect.

Fear & Loathing I couldn't deal with, I'm not a drug fan so maybe that is why, it seemed like a drug trip and it didn't grab me at all.

Alvis - yes, The Big Lebowski, another film I tried to re watch recently, it gets lots of references in films and tv shows. What a bore and a sad individual at that.

I agree on EVERY point! As for Heavenly Creatures, I saw the potential given it was a true story, yes. I just didn't like the way in which it was told. I thought they could've done a much better job of it and, as you said, explained things so that you understood the why of pretty much everything. That and dear god I had issues with the shrieks of the girls. And Kate Winslet... I soooo adore her to pieces... I still cannot believe she was in that film. >.<

I think The Hangover is a bit overrated. Everyone was telling me how funny it was and I only got the occasional chuckle, not roll on the floor laughing my ass off. I said to my friends "An hour and forty-eight minutes......that is an hour and forty-eight minutes of my life I will never get back. That hour and forty-eight minutes might be the time I need to dodge a bullet......though I may not want to after that god awful mess". Maybe it's just me, I didn't find it all that funny.

darkangel76 said:
littlerooster said:
darkangel76 said:

>.<

I agree on EVERY point! As for Heavenly Creatures, I saw the potential given it was a true story, yes. I just didn't like the way in which it was told. I thought they could've done a much better job of it and, as you said, explained things so that you understood the why of pretty much everything. That and dear god I had issues with the shrieks of the girls. And Kate Winslet... I soooo adore her to pieces... I still cannot believe she was in that film. >.<

It was Kate's first film as with the other girl, who we all know as the nutter on 2 and a half men, funny how certain roles follow people! The girls shrieks got on my nerves as well, they were quite immature I thought, but then it was the 50's from memory. Probably a little less with the fantasy sequences especially those stone/clay people from their made up world and more about what was motivating them would have been preferred.

Mister Grimm said:
I think The Hangover is a bit overrated. Everyone was telling me how funny it was and I only got the occasional chuckle, not roll on the floor laughing my ass off. I said to my friends "An hour and forty-eight minutes......that is an hour and forty-eight minutes of my life I will never get back. That hour and forty-eight minutes might be the time I need to dodge a bullet......though I may not want to after that god awful mess". Maybe it's just me, I didn't find it all that funny.

I agree the hangover sucked, as do I feel most dopey comedies, Adam Sandler films, Ben Stiller etc, just juvenile humour which might be amusing with your friends when you are drinking (or aged 10) but not so much within a film.

I'm honestly not one for silly humor when it comes to movies as a general rule. Sure, there are a few exceptions, but.... yeah. Not my thing. Actually, I tend to not really go for comedy in general for some reason. Most of the time, I find myself leaning toward action, scifi, fantasy or horror type films. Very atypical for the sort of girl I am. But then I'm a walking oxymoron. Girly girl who was an engineer/scientist, ex hardcore gamer (nowadays that isn't so much a big deal, but in my heyday, it sooo was)... So, I suppose in some ways my like those over comedies isn't so surprising. XD

Any of the Will Ferrel movies. Good Gods that man irritates the fuck out of me!

Okay, except Stranger than Fiction. I actually thought that was pretty good, and he could actually act all right.

The one silly movie I'm all right with is A Night At The Roxbury. That one I found funny, but the humor was actually fairly witty as opposed to outright stupid. *doesn't handle the stupid overly well* This makes me long for better things like Monty Python. It might be crude and lewd, but by the gods, the humor is freakin' brilliant! XD

Will Ferrel is another very unfunny "comedian" simply doing crazy things is not funny and more akin to being the class clown. Also extra hatred as he has been down here in Australia lately promoting his non comedy film Anchor Man 2, and he gets quite upset when people pronounce his name wrong, apparently it is F'rel not Feral, which is how we tend to pronounce it down. Aussies are very down to earth so someone throwing hissy fits over something like that is hilarious to us. So I guess he can be funny when he wants to be!

I think the last movie that got a genuine laugh out of me was Horrible Bosses. That's the only one I can think of. Perhaps Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, both are on my list of go to comedies.

Mister Grimm said:
I think the last movie that got a genuine laugh out of me was Horrible Bosses. That's the only one I can think of. Perhaps Tucker & Dale vs. Evil, both are on my list of go to comedies.

Now Dale and Tucker was funny, I love how the kids keep running away when all they are doing is trying to help. Never go by looks and stereotypes!

Pretty much the entire filmography of Christopher Nolan comes to mind. He can't write and he can't direct. He's a pretentious hack who exists to sniff his own farts and probably can't cum unless he's looking at himself in a mirror like that bit from American Psycho.

Fight Club is another one; it's vapid, it means absolutely nothing, and it's basically the movie version of The Catcher in the Rye in that obnoxious teenagers who haven't seen any movies that are worth squat constantly quote it and call it "the voice of their generation" or some stupid shit.

I'm seconding the choice of The Hangover. I liked it better when it was called Dude, Where's My Car? and was actually funny.

2012's adaptation of Les Miserables is one of the worst musicals ever made.

Anyone from Hollywood throwing a hissyfit for any reason is going to just make me lol. I honestly do not get the hype nor care. To me, they aren't all that special and most of them aren't the sorts I look up to for any reason. Sure, there are a VERY select handful I might admire. But that list is so small it's ridiculous. The vast majority... pssh. So, hearing that Will Ferrel had a tantrum makes me giggle. >.<

Aether Tokoro said:
Fight Club is another one; it's vapid, it means absolutely nothing, and it's basically the movie version of The Catcher in the Rye in that obnoxious teenagers who haven't seen any movies that are worth squat constantly quote it and call it "the voice of their generation" or some stupid shit.

I.... disagree entirely.

On topic though.... Most of Will Ferrel's movies, I will agree to being garbage. His 'acting' which is really him just improvising on screen just... Ugh.

Also, Adam Sandler's romantic comedies. he used to be hilarious- Billy Madisson, Happy Gilmore, but that was when he was full of anger. Now..... ugh. If I have to sit through another Mr. Deeds of 50 First Dates....

Hmm, one overrated films I should say is the Friends with Benefits, starring with Mila Kumis and Justin Timberlake. For some reason, I don't know why but I found it very funny when I went to watch with my friends and some of my family member. Especially how it also happens in life, I guess...

Another over rated film that almost cried to was the Haunted House. Now that is a movie I can call as the funniest...In my opinion. ;)

Aether Tokoro said:
Pretty much the entire filmography of Christopher Nolan comes to mind. He can't write and he can't direct. He's a pretentious hack who exists to sniff his own farts and probably can't cum unless he's looking at himself in a mirror like that bit from American Psycho.

I'm seconding the choice of The Hangover. I liked it better when it was called Dude, Where's My Car? and was actually funny.

2012's adaptation of Les Miserables is one of the worst musicals ever made.

I can see how Fight Club could be a let down for some people, I still love it a long with the novel. In many ways it was a Counter Culture movie of it's day, talking about men losing their masculinity and animal instincts and how life had become pointless and materialistic. But then when I have watched Counter Culture films from the 60's like Easy Rider for example I thought they were really dull and silly as well.

MeToPeetty said:
Hmm, one overrated films I should say is the Friends with Benefits, starring with Mila Kumis and Justin Timberlake. For some reason, I don't know why but I found it very funny when I went to watch with my friends and some of my family member. Especially how it also happens in life, I guess...

Another over rated film that almost cried to was the Haunted House. Now that is a movie I can call as the funniest...In my opinion. ;)

I have to admit, the film was empty but better than expected, Haunted House I am not sure if I have seen, if it is the Eddie Murphy one, it most likely is crap.

I didn't like Tim Burton's Batman. Aside from Keaton and Nicholson doing admirable acting work, the rest of the film just felt like a complete fucking mess to me.

Also Donnie Darko. My GOD I hate this movie, it represents the worst form of any artistic medium: Where the creator just goes completely up his own asshole and tries to be 'deep' and 'complex' only to come out looking like a jackass. How it became popular, I'll never know.

I think Darko got popular because it was...well, pretty friggin' weird. I found the movie interesting. I dunno about good, but it was interesting.

For me, I think 'Requiem for a Dream', was extremely over rated. I'd read so many good reviews but I couldn't get into it at all, or understand what all the fuss was about. Too much style, not enough substance?

Maybe it's just Darren Aronfsky, I found the same with 'The Wrestler'. It had great reviews, but I didn't think it had anything I hadn't seen done better before.

Now I'm forever finding excuses not to watch 'Black Swan', as, even though it definitely sounds like my type of film (with the added bonus of Natalie Portman), it's the same director.

LittleRooster, as to your original post, I've also gone back and watched, or tried to watch some of those 'Classic' fims, such as 'Deer Hunter, 'Taxi Driver', Easy Rider', 'Raging Bull' (i see a DeNiro theme here!) etc and the only one I've found still holds up to my memories is 'One Flew over the Cuckoo's Next".

I've never actually seen 'Apocalypse Now', but I've just recently downloaded the documentary, 'Hearts of Darkness' about the making of it, which is apparently even more interesting than the film. Think I'll need to watch that tonight.

Back
Top Bottom