Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

xTale [] Lit+ | Fantasy - MMORPG | Story && Smut

star_phantasia

Super-Earth

• Greetings!

This is officially the interest and coord thread for xTale. That's a working title for a roleplay that will be a hybrid of general MMORPGs plus the stuck in the game trope.
        Information will be organized in this post concerning :

• race
          • class
          • guilds && partying
          • combat
          • setting
          • plot
          • misc (essentially, whatever else I forget)

Everyone's input will be added here, and once we've got some things settled, an out of character thread will be created and linked.

So, onward to the important / fun stuff!
        ( * this post will be a w.i.p. for a little while. )

• R A C E : :

• - Personally, I'd like something somewhat original as far as race goes. The basics included, but kind of expanded on or not just straight borrowed.
        > That means having humans, elves, some type of anthro and/or kemono and maybe an extra race or two.

- LadyYuna mentioned FW and NW, which includes races such as : Human | Elf | Half-elf | Drow | Kindred (Vampire technically) | Dwarf | Lycan

- Anonymous Mouse mentioned the Log Horizon inspiration/influence that I was most likening, and that the races from there could be brought over.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

C L A S S E S : :

• - LadyYuna

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

M I S C : :

• - What does everyone want as a level-cap?

- As far as skills being hotkey vs actions, I think if the characters are stuck in the game/a similar world, it should be based on them activating the skills through their own actions (similar to SAO and Log Horizon).

UH. I THINK THE MOST ACCURATE QUESTION. IS WHO DOESN'T WANT TO BE STUCK IN AN MMO!?

Oh I mean. Sure... *tries to look cool* I guess I can try.

Oh, wow. lol
Glad there are already so many interested!

Pretty much nailed that, CheesusKrust. x'D

Everyone is definitely welcome~.
Is there anything that you all are most looking for or want to see?

Should we aim to play as one specific group (of allies, regardless of guild), or maybe a couple or few different factions?

Glances up, thinking

With the amount of people we have, one group of allies [of some form or fashion] seems easiest.

Going off the list you based this off of, I can only say I've fairly seen all of Season 1 of SAO. And the one thing that bothered me regarding the character creation ... was the lack of magic users. Granted, it was probably done intentionally ... but that seemed kinda silly.

Every MMO I've played has at least one casting class, whether it be a mage, cleric or something else.

So I think magic should be allowed, personally. It gives more opportunities and diversity.

Skills ... are they going to be as if an actual hotkey for them existed? Or similar to SAO, where you literally activate them on your own whim? I'm fine with either route, personally.

Here's a list of ideas from two main MMOs I play, Forsaken World and NeverWinter, on things to consider including.

Playable Races:
Human
Elf
Half-elf
Drow
Kindred (Vampire technically, but they used a more fancy term)
Dwarf
Lycan
Stonemen

Playable Classes:
Assassin
Bard
Vampire (Don't ask why they made this a class; I know it sounds silly)
Warrior
Archer/Marksman/Ranger (Whatever term you wish to use)
Protector/Guardian
Cleric
Monk
Druid

Jobs:
Armorsmithing
Weaponsmithing
Jewelcrafting
Gypsy/Dancer (Allowing the use of tarot cards to give buffs/debuff to party/enemies? It's one I personally thought up and honestly would like to see)
Chef
Botanist
Alchemist
Merchant
Scavenger

Again, this is a suggestion, but classes could be separated into talents ... similar maybe to how it's done in FW?

There are three specializations for each class.

Examples can be seen here.

There are probably tons of other things I didn't include ... and can easily be added or taken away.

At any rate, there is my two cents. Hope it helped out.

Honestly I think it would be better to have a set of classes and then set up branching classes for each one. For example:
Warrior can go into a Berserker(Some form of DPS) or a Guardian (A form of tank or something of that nature.) Just a thought so we don't have an overwhelming selection of classes to start off with. Yet at higher levels we can progress further :3

I will admit however the whole "YOU CAN DIE FOR REAL NIGGUH" aspect of SAO was very nice. We can possibly try to implement that into our own rroleplay. With the group we have as well it might be possible to split into guilds or something of that sort, unless a majority desires a unified body; then I'm fine with that. :)

I agree whole heartedly about magic being allowed.

For quick clarification though, the main reason that SAO didn’t do magic classes was because the game was designed to take advantage of the player’s motions, kind of like a super advanced Wii.

Star Phantasia mentioned wanting to incorporate from Log Horizon, so in that case maybe we should incorporate the races and classes from that as well?

Primary Classes (Not including those already listed—doing so seems a bit redundant if we’re merging MMOs)

Enchanter
Thief
Samurai
Swashbuckler

Secondary Classes
Scribe
Tracker
Chef
Maid
Merchant

I’m kind of getting a sense of blending MMO’s here, and if that’s the case I wouldn’t mind seeing WOW and/or DDO incorporated in along with the aforementioned Forsaken World and NeverWinter, though the latter pretty much mirrors a good but of DDO as they’re both D&D based.

And I agree with CheesusKrust about specialized classes (another element of Log Horizon/love the idea of playing a warrior->berserker), but I’d also like to see the inclusion of subclasses (specific skill sets/collections that don’t really warrant a full blown class) and/or jobs (a single skill that can be used for making money, such as alchemy, jewel cutting, weapon smith ect.)

for further customization.

Character Bios could look something like…

Race:
Base Class:
Specialization:
Subclass:
Job:

…thus guaranteeing everyone a unique character build with so many options.

Thoughts?

At the moment with the amount of people we have I'd agree that it's probably best if we were all in one group together, or two groups if nothing else. If things get bigger that may change of course.

@Mouse: Yeah, I was pretty sure that had been the reason regarding magic.

Blending would be nice, welcomed even to allow more unique builds and possibilities.

I like the ideas, personally.

True, DDO and NeverWinter are really similar. I do NeverWinter more though because they expand more on the Faerun lore which is my favorite DnD setting.

And I love my Drows ... which are free to play there. I don't think they are still with DDO, they weren't last I saw. Regardless, guilty pleasures for the win =P

This looks interesting. If you need one more, I would definitely be up for it. I have seen very little of the shows/mangas you might be talking about, but I have played plenty of RPGs and MMOs.

Lots of input and info here~. Great! I'll start compiling a list of everyone's info and make an official list of my own too and put it in the first post. After tomorrow, I'll start working on an OoC too.

And you are definitely welcome, Ritzy.
Honestly, I don't think I'm going to put a cap on members.

I'm going to blend things; yes, you will be revived if you die - but only for a certain number of times. I was think three or five deaths and that's it. Or, people can only be revived with an item in a certain space of time.

As a way to distinguish them, I was thinking of one title for class/job and the other word be for . . .well, job/class. lol
Essentially, combat versus trade/hobby. So it'd probably be class and then job to be obvious, but we'll see.
I kind of prefer there being Classes, with sub-class available and branches (and then of course jobs), but nothing will be final until everyone's input is taken into consideration and discussed further.

And there will be magic. none of that SAO silliness. x'D;

From my end, I'm going to use a mix of Final Fantasy (I-V, Tactics and XIV alongside Bravely Default and 4HoL) for some class (and probably job) inspiration, alongside some other JRPGs, KMMORPGs and the series the RP is based on.

I think I should have the main post reformatted by late tomorrow, and then in the evening, after we've finalized some ideas and basic stuff, I shall have a OOC ready.

Normally the names of the classes different but they always fall into four different categories, melee dps, ranged dps, tank and healer. Pretty much always in a MMO they break down to have that, now, you don't always have pure classes sometimes you do have overlap as it were.

Yeah, I was considering looking at it from a general mage / fighter / specialized kind of build. Or something close.

I have some time, so I'm going to get everything copied into a wordpad document, parse through it and then get everything organized on the main post. Once we look it over and go over some ideas and get things figured out, we can settle on how our class system will work, a basic plot and some combat ideas. (Well, and some setting stuff.)

When all that is done, I'll make some reserved spaces for a OoC (and be working on the coding right now).

If we want an intricate class based system we can start with some kind of branching system from probably the four base classes. Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Cleric (that's what I generally see in MMOs...I may be wrong) then we can branch them out into specialized jobs. It's even possible to specialize even further to maybe create warrior tanks with more stuns/taunts or maybe better health regen or something of that nature. Regardless I think specializations can make it so each character has a purpose and people don't end up having to copy one another or something. BECAUSE I LIKE FEELING SPESHUL TOO OKIE!?

The only other one I can think of that is normal is a archer/bard type class which normally is a ranged physical dps to go with the ranged magic dps.

I'm a class-fiend myself, so I was going to make plenty available for lots of options.
But I suppose there's also something to consider in how level and class intersect.

If anything, we can decide on all of the classes, but make it so that some are for an expansion set just before everyone gets stuck to help make some of the levels fresh to everyone.

That could most definitely work. I'm not quite sure how we want levels to intersect with classes directly however. If we want to have like specific set levels for classes thats doable I assume. Like starting with one class and at level like...40 or something they can receiv their specialization or slmething of that nature.

Just a few thoughts here, but maybe we're over complicating this.

1. Classes: If we're going to draw from multiple MMOs for them, why don't we just let people pick whatever flavor they want and then specify what type of class it is. This was a mechanic used in D&D 4E (Controller [debuffs, field control, ect], Striker, Leader [healers, buffers ect], and Defender) that I think might help quite a bit here. For example someone could call themselves a barbarian. We'd all know that that meant some sort of warrior type class. Then they could specify in parenthesis it's role (DPS/Striker) or (Tank/Defender). This sort of clarification could literally allow anyone to play whatever flavor they want and combine it with whatever role they'd prefer their character fill and could create some interesting combinations.

2. Levels: Just an idea, but if we're assuming all of our characters are trapped in the game, then why not do away with levels altogether for our purposes? It could be that all characters have all the abilities of their race/class/whatever but instead of having access to them based on a level, are granted them by player skill (not to be confused the player playing the player...you get what I mean). Simply put, we could have a high, medium and low skill range for each player representing their status from newbie to veteran and represent things accordingly. It might make things interesting to see how our characters react when they discover there's no more leveling system and are forced to actually use they're own skills.

Just some ideas. *shrug*

@ Cheesus : Yeah, the way you put it sounds good. I'm pretty open to anything there myself and don't have any specific ideas. In general, the idea of having more open to you depending on level is nice, but I would prefer a range more than just/only numbers.

@ Anonymous Mouse : That kind of works. It feels a bit too vague, but it could be applied well. I'll definitely add that to the notes though~. As for levels though, I feel they're useful to have and especially because it is MMO-based/related, they're a must-have. On the otherhand, if everyone feels better to be rid of them entirely, we could do that~.

Sorry for not updating as much today. I should have everything updated tomorrow.

We could do something similar to WoW where each race has access to X amount of classes, and that could aid in specialization too. Like maybe take the four base classes of Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, and Mage and then make them unique for each race? Or at least maybe give each race a certain specialization?

If we want to rid the levels altogwther, we can implement some sort of dynamic levelling system or something like that. Where said character would have to actually train in the skills of selected class before attaining it. Then for specializations the same would happen with a larger difficulty difference. Of course if we just want people to start out in whatever class they desire that could work too xD Depending on whether or not we're going to make people 'grind' in the leveling/experience form of the word, or if we would rather have things just play out and not have to grind for experience and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom