Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What makes a successful request thread?

I've been flat out told I am intimidating to write with... of course, not after I've chatted with people, but before the initial approach has been made. I've been told this that part of it is due to my writing style along with my request thread. Style? Can't do anything about that because it is what it is. Everyone has a style and if it's considered decent and you are striving to improve it, then there's not much to be done there. As for request thread, I have VERY good reasons as to why I lay it out as I do. Part of it is because I want to inform people of my likes/dislikes and make sure that they know what they're potentially getting into if they choose to approach me for RP. I want them to know what I like to write, what sorts of pairings 'float my boat', what genres I'm willing to do. This way, if I don't have a craving I've bumped, they might have an idea of their own they can throw at me because there will be enough information out there for them to see and thus gauge an idea of whether or not tossing a PM my way will be worth it or not. I also have certain things listed--much like Yuna's rules--because I've been burned so many times it's ridiculous. I kid you not I've received some pretty horrendous PM requests for RPs that just went so against my request thread that I literally wanted to gouge out eyes. Not only that, but some of them have been rude as well.

Example #1: I want to rape you. Let's RP.

How would you respond to that (especially when rape is listed as your hard limit)?

Example #2: Everything in your request thread looks awesome! Let's do incest!

Again, when incest is listed as it is on my thread, how would you respond?

Example #3: Certain limits are listed out, the RP moves along, suddenly... BAM! Your 'no' is blatantly broached.

What would you do when stating it in a simple list clearly didn't work once or twice before?

These are just a few examples of things I've dealt with and when they start to build up over time, you get a bit frustrated and really want to try and avoid them. So, it's not meant to intimidate, but to inform and avoid certain situations from ever occurring ever. It's just sad that it might deter people from reading your thread entirely or at all just because of past experiences. Or because someone feels a need to try and give others as much info as they can so that it's all there before them, much like a resume. For me, it's a bit of both.

Nod nods with DarkAngel

So much of that is true. Especially the incest example you gave ...

Been there and done that far too much. Rather frustrating at times.

Yeah, it is more or less to try to inform ...

But ... I guess I did add maybe a few too many.

Bleh, it's always something that can be altered if needed.

Thanks DA and Andy for the input all the same.

I can see where you're coming from DarkAngel, and I think it would be worse for females in regards to guys ignoring what they may or may not read on a thread. I also find people take your No's more seriously if they are given in a 'conversation' or discussion (meaning one on one PM's) rather than just reading them on the thread of a person they've never spoken to before - probably that more personal connection.

I don't really take too much notice of writing style itself in threads as my own changes depending on who I'm playing with. I tend to either end up either mirroring my partners or (which I find the most enjoyable) the styles blend together. Not all the time, of course, there are times when it just doesn't work, but my philosophy is 'you never know until you give it a try" - I think if the substance is there, it can override some differences in style. As I've mentioned (or at least alluded to) before, I see 'roleplaying' and 'writing' as two completely separate, but complementary, components of a roleplay.

As far as getting messages or requests which directly contradict your No's, I actually find this quite amusing. I'm a provocateur and smart-ass at heart and, whilst I may not consider myself the greatest writer, I'm pretty damn good at the cutting comeback and twisting peoples own words to be used against them (which, off topic, is why I enjoy 'manipulation' roles), so it gives me the chance to have a little fun with whoever messages me.

Obviously, you and LadyYuna have been on the site a lot longer than I so it may wear thin after a while.

EDIT: No worries, LadyYuna, and it's just my subjective opinion. If you have you own reasons for putting something on your thread, particularly if it's from your own personal experience then that's probably what you should do :).

DarkAngel, as far as the "I want to rape you" and incest comments, unfortunately there are idiots everywhere. Maybe it could be catered for in the Terms of Service for the site, where repeat offenders are banned, but not sure if that would work. Just seeing it there may scare a few away though.

EDITED EDIT: The other thing I've found is that if I put something in my 'Likes', or have a particular craving, its assumed that I dislike or am not open to its opposite, which is not generally true.

I can see that as a serious problem and why such rules would be needed especially for females, who want to fling reps. I am sure that as a female you get a lot more views and as a result you get more rupees who don't even read it and just send you a blanket or request just cause you posted in the female request topic, honestly that would have to be super annoying, so bye having it intimidating actually makes sense. As a male, I find the challenges very different, getting noticed becomes far more challenging. The number of time I talked to a female and said something like, "hey, I saw you like so and so pairing or so and so type of rp, perhaps if you look at my request thread you will find so,etching you like, and then have the person say,oh I like idea ....., many times multiple idea," Is high, but at the same time, if I want to do that most likely I would get a request once a blue moon off my request thread, so the challenge is just different I think.

The Elite RP'er and designing a thread to intimidate comments struck a nerve with me.

I have been here 6 months and I have never RP'ed on a site like this before, it is intimidating to begin with and as I didn't know anyone I had to work it out myself. What we all have in common though is we like to write, our talent for writing may vary but it is what we enjoy nonetheless. Whether someone wants a one shot style RP or a long term epic plot and I have to admit I can enjoy both, writing and the prior communication via PM's to ensure there is mutual understanding all takes.... writing.

So yes sometimes you get someone who leaves one liners in RP's or PM's and it can be frustrating, these types of RP's in my experience and observations don't last long. I have had one liner RP's die off quickly myself.

In my original post I mention people who read you the riot act in their request threads, I wasn't referring to their likes and dislikes, I was more referring to the type who demand a certain number of posts a day or a certain amount of paragraphs, for me that is a put off as my schedule varies and I write what I feel is necessary not a pre determined paragraph quota.

Also there was one member I saw who when bumping her thread would denigrate the guys she has RP'ed with, that is also an obvious put off as is her policy of writing people off if a RP isn't successful in her eyes.

In terms of someone not liking incest or futa or a RP that is either too slow or too fast etc that is everyone's preference and I am free to accept or pass as I feel appropriate.

Feeling intimidated by a RP'er is also something that the intimidated person owns not the one they feel intimidated by. I am happy to discuss RP's with anyone, it may not pan out, it may not work or even start but I am happy to talk to anyone.

Through this thread I approached Dark Angel about RP'ing and yes I felt intimidated by her not so much because I felt she was more talented than I but because of her position here, I mentioned this to her so it is not something she will be reading for the first time, I bring it up here because my feelings of intimidation weren't warranted and existed only in my head. Sometimes you just have to "man up" and "have a go" as we say in Australia.

I am also very supportive of anyone who posts in the Concrit section, I believe in positive constructive feedback not flaming someone or tearing them down so they feel they never want to write again.

In terms of the comment about Females getting noticed more than Males I don't believe that is true, I think some Request Threads appeal more than others depending on their content and what is being offered, I posted a request a few weeks back for a certain type of RP and was flooded by females wanting to play, I have other ideas that vary in their appeal. It all depends in the end I think and who is looking at the main page of requests at the time.

Feeling intimidated by a RP'er is also something that the intimidated person owns not the one they feel intimidated by. I am happy to discuss RP's with anyone, it may not pan out, it may not work or even start but I am happy to talk to anyone.
[/quote]

Littlerooster, I couldn't agree with that statement more.

I admit that I get 'performance anxiety' before starting a roleplay with a new partner each and every time, but that's never stopped me from playing. In a strange sort of way I actually like to be intimidated, it's a challenge - to myself more than anything.

The thing about being read the riot act also strikes a chord. Although I may not disagree with the point/s they're trying to make, it can sometimes make the person appear too high maintenance or too much effort. I want to enjoy a roleplay, not feel as if I'm walking on eggshells the whole time.

Back
Top Bottom