Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Puppy Charming 101 [Isabelle x citizenanon]

James had been flipping through an issue of Sports Illustrated that highlighted the upcoming baseball season and had become quite engrossed with the ins and out of the different predictions for the teams. His own favorite team was so very low on the ranking list that it was a little disappointing, but what could he do?

It was only when Sophie had approached Heidi once more that he realized that she had found something that she liked. HE could not make out what was in her hands, but it was not a magazine that he could tell. He shrugged. So long as she was happy with the results, he did not care what she picked. She could buzz it off if she wished. James watched as Heidi set Sophie in the chair and began her work. He smiled to himself, congratulating himself on a job well done and went back to his magazine.

Sophie sat there, starring at herself in the mirror. Guilt still hung around her like a grey storm cloud, but every so often, she would peek over at James. He had so much confidence in her. Why was he so nice? Was he like this to everyone? She pondered to herself, and in her heart grew a wish for more friends like James. That is well, if they were friends. She trembled a little bit, allowing the woman to work away. It wasn't much longer until she had finished. Sophie was more than a little shocked! It was so different! Her cheeks turned a little pink. Standing up, she was lead over to James. Nervously, she played with the lip of her sweater.

Heidi smiled, with her arms around the girls:
"Well James, what do you think?"

Sophie's hair fell in soft waves against her cheeks as she tried to hide away a bit. It was a rather embarrassing situation. She had bangs now, which were even in length and came to her eyebrows. Her hair was given a few high lights, and a few peek-a-locks of a peach colour! It was rather adorable, and still very long; even when left naturally curled. She looked up to him with her blue eyes. Was she pretty? She gulped lightly in wait.

James closed his magazine when his name was called. He looked up and his eyes widened in surprise as he took his new friend in. It was almost like seeing two different people. He liked the look. It suited her amazingly well. James set the magazine aside and left his chair. He walked towards her and looked the cut over. It framed her face well and took advantage of her curls very well.

"I like it." James complimented. "It's really pretty."

The young man wondered briefly how her family would react to the change. The young lady coming home was certainly not the same that had left that morning. Oh, she was primarily the same, but now she looked very different and had a new friend. Briefly, he wondered just what would happen when they went to her place for him to drop her off, but he put it out of his mind. He would deal with it when it happened.

James looked at Sophie. She seemed nervous about it. "What do you think? Are you happy with it?"

Heidi also looked down to Sophie to see her reaction, but soon found herself taken back. Sophie began leaking tears for a third time that day, but her mouth wasn't quivering or trembling. Instead her lips were spread in a wide smile on her face! Practically leaping forward, Sophie hugged James, giggling just a little bit.

She really was quite expressive wasn't she?

Heidi couldn't help but smile. Sure she knew James had a little girlfriend, but the way he acted with Sophie tugged at her heart a bit. It was so refreshing to see how well he had grown up. "Well, I'll just tally up your bill." A few clicks later, she cleared her throat, "Sixty dollars for trim, foils, and a blow dry."

Sophie pulled away from James, and picked up her backpack from the chair she had been sitting at. She fumbled for her debit card, but pulled it out after a while. The transaction went underway, but it took her a little bit longer than it might another person. She was unsure of the tip, or how to work the machine; but she figured it out one way or an other. Sophie smiled to Heidi, taking her receipt,
"Thank you so much Mrs. Ross!"

She turned around and looked to James. Where should they go now?

James, accustomed to the girl's strange actions by now, returned the hug. He briefly wondered what caused such a happy reaction, but reminded himself that so far Sophie had seemed to just live a really, really terrible and down trodden life. For all he knew, he could have been the only person aside from her family that had ever been nice to her. He simply let her express herself however she saw fit. Maybe with time and someone regularly treating her well, the extreme displays would slow. If they didn't, he didn't really mind all that much. When she went to pay, he was half amused that she had never used any of the machines here, but clearly had the card in case of emergencies or any other serious demands. Still, it was good to see her happy. Even though he had only known her for a few hours, he was growing attached to the eccentric young girl.

"Thanks, Heidi." James called and led Sophie from the store, "I'll be back soon."

Outside, he stopped and just enjoyed the sunlight for a moment. It was still warm out, despite the change to fall, so he was planning on enjoying it as much as he possibly could while he had the chance. "Okay, Sophie." Jason began as he made up his mind about what needed to be done with the rest of the afternoon. He needed to get Sophie home and help explain the situation to her parents as best he could. Depending on how long that took, the evening could hold many different events. "I think its time we got you home."

It was a beautiful scene. Only... Sophie wasn't there. The younger girl wasn't anywhere to be seen! Had she gotten lost?

On their way out, they were passing a book store, and that is when she saw it. Sophie was in the store, in the far corner, reading the description for something called 'shojo manga'. Curious, she decided to buy the thick novelette. It was rather cute looking. But when she looked up, James was no where to be found! She whimpered, where had he gone? Fear struck her. Sophie began wandering around the isles, maybe he was reading something else? Did he read? She felt herself hoping that he did.

But no luck! Sophie purchased the book, then walked out of the store. Which direction were they headed in before anyway? She stood there, completely confused. She was so lost! And she had spent so much money! Her parents would be livid! AND SHE CUT AND DYED HER HAIR!

Sophie began to tremble, feeling the pressures she applied to herself pile up. Gulping hard, she thought of James, and tried to focus on finding him. Luckily, she walked in the right direction out of the store.

And there he was! A bit panicked, but no where near as relieved as Sophie. Her little arms wrapped about his waist as she held him in an embrace. Her warm petite body pressing against his securely. She would never leave him!

James, when he noticed Sophie's disappearance turned one way and then the other as he looked for the timid girl. He could already see how unusual it would be for her to just wonder off. James glanced back into the salon, but it only had the one new family in there waiting for their daughter's hair to be finished. He scratched his head and began to wonder around looking for her.

The confused and concerned young man was looking in the other direction when he felt someone's slender arms circle his waist. He turned his head and spotted the top of a head full of blonde curls. James smiled in relief and placed a hand on her shoulder. "There you are, Sophie. I was beginning to worry about where you'd gone off to." James noticed she was carrying an extra bag, "Just what do you have there?" he quizzed, curious about what would have grabbed her attention so thoroughly.

Sophie nuzzled her face against him a little big, enjoying the sensation of his body against hers. She was so happy to have found him again! But then... Then he said something. Sophie pulled away, looking up to him with her big eyes. He wanted to know...? She blinked softly. Holding up her arm in a demure way, Sophie lifted the bag up along with it. Her opposite hand dipped inside of the bag and pulled out a book. She smiled, holding up the book,
"I-I saw a girl at the hair salon with a book like this! I've never really ready picture books before, so I thought I would try it!"

The book was called Kabushikigaisha Love-Cotton. It was fairly innocent looking, with several cartoony looking people on the front of it. Sophie beamed to him; she really liked her books.

James looked it over. It was one of those Japanese comic books that he had seen some of the people at school reading. He had never even cracked one open, but they seemed to really enjoy it. If Sophie did, well good on her. He did not even have an idea about what it might be about, let alone how to pronounce Kabushikigaisha. James handed it back to her, "Well I hope you like it. If you do, we'll have to come back sometime and see what else they carry." James put his hand around her waist securely to keep her from wandering off this time. He began to lead her back towards his car. "You'll have to tell me about it during lunch tomorrow." He offered.

At the car, he unlocked the doors. He opened his and waited. He gazed at Sophie for a long moment, the car began to ding in protest of its door being open. "I think its about time we got you home, Sophie. It's starting to get a little late and I'm sure we'll have to have a talk with your folks to explain what happened earlier today."

Sophie just smiled, beaming all of the positive things she felt up to James. Why, she looked to him the entire time they walked back to his car. Sophie hadn't noticed him looking at her when she stood outside of the car. She climbed in, sat herself down, and clipped herself in with the seatbelt. When he got into the car, she was looking to him fondly with those big, round eyes of hers. She blinked softly. Her face slowly saddened, as she furrowed her brow, and stuck her bottom lip out in a slight pout.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." Sophie reached over to him, her hand holding onto his shirt again. It was a comfort thing now. She sat still on the ride home though; her curls being the only thing to lightly sway from side to side as he drove along. She gave directions to get to her house. Soon they pulled up to a sky blue house with white trim, and a grey tiles. There was a large maple tree in front lawn with a wooden swing. The hedges were all tidy, and the white wooden gate was spotless. There were neatly maintained flower beds, in full blossom! The house was perfect. Almost too perfect. Sophie looked to them as they slowed down, a little unsure of what to say. "Y-you don't have to explain anything..."

James looked at Sophie for a moment before scanning the well manicured house and flower beds. Surely that was not done by the owner. Who had the time for such things? At her words, he turned to look at her, "I think it might be good if I do." He smiled at her, "Besides, they'll probably want to know how you got home since you did not walk." James assumed they would want to know anyway and glancing at the house, he spotted someone watching them from the windows. As they saw him looking their way, they dropped the curtain and returned to the house. "Besides, it looks like someone knows I'm here already anyway and I can't drop a girl off and not walk her to the door. It would be rude."

They left the car behind them. James walked slow so that the smaller girl could keep up with him on the way through the gate leading up to the house. At the doorway, he waited for her to take the lead and open the door. While he waited, he checked the house again and marveled at how well kept it was. His family was well off, but even they did not have this level of a manicured lawn. As Sophie approached the door, it was snatched suddenly and opened revealing a very upset looking man that glared down at Sophie. The man was short, maybe 5'6 and thin, but age could be seen creating just a bit of a gut on him. He was dressed in black slacks and a green button down shirt that was unbuttoned at the collar. Light brown hair was well kept and brown eyes were focused only on Sophie.

"Just where have you been, Young Lady?" He asked, "Just wait until we get inside, you're in for the..."

James arched an eyebrow and stepped forward, physically placing himself between Sophie and who he assumed was her father. "Good evening, sir. I'm afraid some of the reason Sophie is late is my fault. My name is James, James Sterling." James placed his hand out and waited for this... man to take it.

Her parents delighted in doing yard work on weekends. Her mother was also a at-home seamstress, and also a house wife which gave her plenty of opportunity to keep everything in order. Sophie also helped with chores at home; as best she could. She was far more apt to cooking than cleaning hard to reach places, and it took a lot of energy out of her. None the less, she was a good girl and did as she was told. Sophie looked to him nervously. Why was he so keen? She frowned, noting that the blinds had been in fact moved.

With a sigh, she regressed, "I warned you." Click went the door as Sophie opened it. Out she stepped, closing the door behind her. She held onto the straps of her leather backpack. It bounced on her bottom as she caught up, and then passed her friend. She opened the all too familiar gate by reaching over to the lock. Pushing it open, she revealed a stone path leading to the house. Up they went, and soon stood on the low porch. Supports could be seen for the use of a hammock during hotter months. For now there was a bench with a vintage metal milk can filled with flowers beside it. Her mother's doing of course. Sophie was just about to open the door when it swung open.

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN CHILD?!" Bellowed a deep voice, the owner was her father, Mr. Tidbury. He was a tall man, 5ft11", with a slender frame. Perhaps the genetic reason why Sophie was so slim. He was quite red in the face, his gelled hair lost a few strands. He dressed sharp, in a fitted charcoal suit. Seeing her hair loose only made him angier. His hand jut out and grabbed onto her arm. "Inside. Now." He pulled Sophie inside, where her mother greeted her with an embrace, muttering 'My precious baby! What happened to you?'

Meanwhile, Mr. Tidbury gave James a rather deep deathstare, before forcing a grin on his aging face. "A boy huh? What a clever girl we have." Sophie's mother, Victoria Tidbury, intervined her husband's divergent fury, "Thank you for bringing my daughter home. We appreciate it if she call next time she is going to be late. Now, we've got supper hot on the table. So if you don't mind---"

Sophie squeeked behind her parents, "He isn't just a boy. He is my friend, and his name is James."

In unison, both parents looked back to Sophie in astonishment. She had never talked back like that before. Soon their gaze fell onto James. Mr. Tidbury, still grinning, crossed his arms, "Oh? Your friend huh? Well James, why don't you come in, and tell us about your 'friendship', hmm?"

James looked back and forth between the parents as they made their first appearances. He could certainly see the familial resemblence from Sophie to her folks, but the attitudes certainly did not mesh well at all with the shy, introverted young woman. Still, with parents this loud even he might have been shy and introverted.

When the father produced the death stare, James held his gaze, the same look of friendliness and openness that he usually wore was present, but inside he was curious about just what the man was thinking he had done to his poor, innocent, baby girl. Not one to back down from a challenge, even if it was from a man probably three times his age, James nodded at the invitation, clearly aware of the chances of getting out alive. He had been interrogated before by the father's of girlfriends, but never by the parents of someone whom he had just helped out. "Certainly. My name is James Sterling. Like Sophie said, we're friends. I'm happy to answer anything else you'd like to know."

James might not have liked the overly aggressive stance her father had taken and might not have been looking forward to what was bound to follow, but friends were worth it and if this was what it took, then so be it. He just knew that Sophie would appreciate it.

James was invited into the living room and he filed in behind Sophie's father, but in front of her mother and Sophie herself who was actually just behind her mother. He could smell their dinner sitting out on the table. Some sort of roast by the smell of it. It really did smell good and he felt a moment of guilt as he thought about keeping them from eating. That was soon squashed as they reached the living room.

The living room was set up with a brown leather couch on one side that looked as if it was rarely sat in. Perhaps this room was just used to entertain company. Across from the couch was a loveseat. It matched the couch. Between the two was a dark wood coffee table and at the end of it was a single over stuffed leather chair that matched the couch and love seat. The walls were decorated a soft creme with white accents. Pictures of the family decorated the room. The floor was a highly polished mahogany. All in all, it appeared perfectly normal if unused.

"Please." Mr. Tidbury motioned to the couch. "Have a seat, young man."

James did not wait to be told twice and sat down on the couch. He chose the end furthest into the room, the one near the single chair. As Sophie and her mother filed in, he expected them to sit away from him, but at the last moment Sophie pulled away and parked it on the couch with a good three feet of cushion between the two. Her mother, a little surprised by the action simply sat down on the loveseat. Mr. Tidbury joined her shortly afterwards. James bounced just a bit in his seat. It was a comfortable couch, but it felt like he was slipping off of it due to the smooth, unused quality of the leather.

The silence stretched on for what felt like minutes, but in fact had only been a few seconds. James sat still and simply observed the room and the people around him as he tried to build a picture of what it was like to grow up in this family.

""You're the quarter back on the Wellingdon football team, aren't you?" Mr. Tidbury started the interrogation.

"Yes, sir." James answered in an attempt to keep his voice respectful. "For two years now. I took over when Arthur Landsy was injured." Inside, he was curious as to how the man knew that. Who, unless they had a child on the team, followed High School football well enough to know who was starting on the team? Just who was this guy?

"and your parents, are they Christians?"

James would have liked to get up and leave at the probing question. That or tell this guy it was none of his business what his family was or did, but he kept his cool as he considered the question. They were, in fact Christian. They just did not go to church on a very regular basis. Often times they were busy with work or enjoying one of their very few days off. While he considered his answer, Mrs. Tidbury excused herself to the kitchen for refreshments for everyone.

"Yes, my parents are both Christians. I am as well for the record. We do not go to the services as often as we would like to, but I like to think that we live good lives and do our level best to help those less fortunate than ourselves." James answered and for a moment, his eyes shifted to his newest friend. That was when he spotted it. Hung above the entrance to the living room was a cross. Of course. Moments later, Mrs. Tidbury arrived with refreshments for everyone. At her bidding, James helped himself to a glass of water. He tried not to gulp it.

"So. Did any of your friends put you up to spending the day with my daughter out of some sick practical joke?" Mr. Tidbury dropped the bombshell on James.

The young man, who had been in the middle of a drink of water when the question was asked, choked briefly on the liquid at the question. He took a second to get himself under control.

"I'm sorry?" He questioned, unsure of if he had heard the question correctly.

"Did any of your friends put you up to spending the day with my daughter out of some sick practical joke?" He had heard it correctly.

"Actually, to be brutally honest, sir, I found your daughter after bullies had cut her hair and shoved her into a locker." James replied somewhat hotly. The tight control he had reigned over his emotions shaken a bit at the strange question. "And quite frankly, sir, I do not appreciate this character assassination when you hardly know me. I have been nothing but kind to Sophie in an attempt to be a friend today and will continue to do so in the future. This is not a joke, this is not a scam.

"When I found her, I helped her out of the locker, comforted her, and offered to take her to get her hair fixed before she came home because she was so afraid of how you would react when you saw it cut and think less of her."

James took a sip of his water in an effort to calm himself down. A few deep breaths later, he looked up again.

"I apologize for my outburst. That was rude, especially in the face of such a gracious host." James apologized.

Sophie looked painfully to her father. She had watched a few of his questionings during trials before. The complete truth was that he was a man well suited to his job. Like a Priest at a sermon, Mr. Tidbury had this eloquent way of speaking, and twisting the words of the opposition. He had a passion for bringing those to justice! And made good money for it. Recently though, he had been taking bigger cases in a neighbouring city which was much larger. Yet the house was still eerily perfect with him gone. As if everyone was fearful of his anger should they do something against him. Still, why would he treat her friend in such a way? Sophie never truly had a friend, other than her toys and animals. Not even Jesus. She squeezed the fabric of her sweater, fearful of his questions. Please God, do not let my father say something offensive. Please oh please! She prayed, giving offerings of hail Mary's. But... her wishes fell on deaf ears.

"So. Did any of your friends put you up to spending the day with my daughter out of some sick practical joke?" rang through her head like the bells of Notre Dame. Sophie was mortified! Why would anyone do that?! Her mother's own facial expression was full of surprise! Why would her husband think that?! There were perfectly normal questions, but this was not one. Both women blinked, unsure of what to do, but soon James answered. Sophie's heart pained for him. What pressure she put on him. She looked to her friend as he confessed the seriousness of the situation.

Sophie had never told her family of her teasings and bullying she dealt with. It was just... just so scary. She was scared to stay home, with her over baring father, and scared to go to school where she was seen as a freak. Not even her mother would understand. Sophie looked to her lap, her hair falling in front of her face. They were in for it! Her little body trembled in fear.

Andrew Tidbury looked to the young man, his face blank. He had not expected to hear a response like that. Most boys his age, especially those on the football team, were dumb as dull spoons. This annoyed him. Especially what he had to say.

"My daughter? You think you understand my daugher?!" He said almost in a growl. Standing up, he stridded across the room, and took Sophie's small face in his hand. He forced her now crying eyes to look to her friend. Tears streaming down her face, his fingers making imprints on the soft flesh. "Tell me boy, does she look happy to know you?" He released her face and persisted to stroke her head. Sophie simply looked away. He cooed softly, "My poor Sophie, is it true? Have they been mistreating you all this time? Look at what they did to you... This is why you should stay home. Tomorrow you don't have to go to school..."

He looked to James, "Do you see? Sophie isn't like you or your friends. She doesn't fit in. Being her friend out of pity won't do you any goo--"

Sophie cut him off. She looked up to her father, smiling sweetly, "But papa, don't I look like a doll?" She reached over and took James by the hand. "If he says he will be my friend, how is that any different than Moses leading the Jews to the promise land? None of them could be sure to trust him, yet he saved them. Don't you want me to be safe?"

Unlike Moses, James did not have the divine assistance of God. No staff to serpent transformations, no parting of the Red sea, and certainly no burning, talking bush. While he appreciated her support in the matter and her small hand fit rather well into her own, he was unsure of if the comparison was quite apt. Still, if it was something she thought would help sway her father, then he would not say anything to disagree right now.

James looked at Sophie's tears. A scene he had seen far too much of today. It tugged at his heart a bit, but he took solace in the fact that it was not he who had caused them. Not this time. When she actually spoke up, interrupting her father. Jame's eyebrows rose towards his hairline. That had not been expected what so ever.

"Sir, I do not know what has colored your opinion of me quite so, but I can tell you that nobody will not be treating Sophie in the same way they have been. That is a promise and when I give my word, I do not renig." James stated, his reluctance from before gone and replaced with a sense of confidence.

"Is that right, boy? You will guarantee her safety while she's at school? Guarantee that she will be safe?"

James nodded and gave Sophie's hand a squeeze. "Yes."

"And you realize that anytime you fail, it will be her that is suffering the consequences of your actions?"

James looked at Sophie before glancing back at her father, catching her eye.

"Yes, I understand." James agreed, his gaze not leaving Mr. Tidbury's face as he gave his answer without hesitation.

In all of that, Andrew looked down to his precious peach of a daughter. His hand palming over her head. She did look like a doll. He sighed softly, cupping her cheek in an affectionate manner. "Alright then. The next time someone is bullying you, we will bring you home right away. You know that sweetheart. Your mother and I would come to get you at a moments notice."

Sophie nodded softly, "Yes papa,"

Releasing her face, Andrew walked over to his wife and stood behind the loveseat. He placed his hands on her shoulder, tenderly rubbing them. He smiled to James, "Thank you James for taking care of our little Sophie, and coming to clarify the situation at school. We cannot help but be a bit protective of her. She is our only child you know."

Victoria joined in by smiling as well. Her hand gently touching her husbands. They were truly a close knit family. Perfect in nearly every way. "Yes, thank you so much. We will have to have you and your family over for sunday dinner sometime. How does that sound?"

Sophie could help but not to blush at the warmth of James' hand. She looked down to it for a fleeting moment before letting go. Her hands lay primly on her lap. Perfect. She looked to James, shooting him a small smile. But at the back of her mind, she knew what would happen once he leaves.

James was put off by the sudden change in the attitude of the family. Where had all the anger gone? All the tears? All the barely concealed strangeness? He did not mention it out loud, but filed it away for a discussion that he could have with Sophie when their relationship was not quite so new.

"That sounds wonderful, Mrs. Tidbury. Please send an invitation through Sophie whenever you feel the timing is right." James spoke, even as his mind was trying to connect the dots on this odd family. "I should be going. You have dinner on the table and I have taken enough of your time. Thank you for letting me explain what happened today. Mrs. Tidbury, have a nice evening. Sophie, I will see you at school in the morning. Mr. Tidbury..." James held out his hand before him in a sign of mutual respect and agreement. Andrew Tidbury looked at the hand for a moment before taking it himself.

Now, there is a ton of information that can be conveyed in a handshake. Strength, confidence, dominance, submission, will power, and even secrets. This handshake was a battle of wills and dominance. As Mr. Tidbury, took James' hand, the man made to rotate it so that his own hand was on top. There was no extra pressure, no pain, just a simple power game of dominance. James, though, continued to smile and simply kept his hand vertical as he pumped it up and down. A sign of equality and mutual respect. "Have a good evening, Mr. Tidbury. I will not let you or Sophie down."

Done with their pissing contest, James released Mr. Tidbury's hand and made his way to the door.

The morning dawned much brighter and much earlier than James would have liked. He had spent the night with his 'family' working on school work and ensuring that he would be ahead in all of his classes. It had taken him until midnight to maintain his two week lead in all of his studies. The majority of that had been spent on Calculus. Try as he might, he did not quite understand the topic and he knew that finding a tutor would be out of the question. It would be bad for his image and that of his family.

Since he had been a child, it had been drilled into his head that there was no room for failure within the family. As a second grader, he had been punished with a spanking and no dinner for bringing home a 'B' on his report card. The beatings and punishments for failure had only increased since then and he had not had less than an 'A' on anything since he was in the sixth grade.

James stepped onto the school grounds quite a bit earlier than he normally did and found himself waiting near the entrance that Sophie was likely to use since she was walking. It was the only one that faced the direction she would have to come from unless she took the obscenely long way around for no reason. Normally he met with some of the athletes or cheer leaders, but today he wanted to make good on his promise then night before.

Dinner that night went cold for Sophie. Two round, juicy slices of roasted pork lay in a pool of sweet apple-infused-juice, with a side of whole roasted baby potatoes, steamed long green beans, and a helping of light salad, all simply sat on a plate in front of her. She was stuck. Fixed quickly to her seat at the dinner table while her parents ate in silence. Disapproval hung in the air. Sophie sat in her chair, her head hung low as shame weighed its heavy crown down. Her hair forced into a rather untidy braid. Strands poking out here and there. She looked rather frazzled. She held her cupped hands to her mouth, the fingers methodically pushing the beads along as she repeated Hail Mary's late into the night.

She did not rest well, having to stay up extra late to complete her assignments. In the morning, Sophie looked to herself in the mirror. Her wet bangs slick to her forehead. What had she done? She cried silently as she looked over the nape of her neck. Finger prints lingered from her father holding her still last night. She dared not look further at her back. Wincing, she re-imagined the night before. The beating still burned her skin. Sophie quickly got ready for school.

It unexpectedly chilly that autumn morning. Sophie tied a cream pashmina scarf around her neck, doubling it up to keep her neck ever warmer. Today she wore a collared navy dress which downplayed her assists, and caused her to look more frumpy. Her braid tied into another forced braid. All along her way, she felt a sinking feeing in her stomach that James would disapprove of her today, should he find out. She would never admit she was bullied in more ways than one. Never to him. Not after yesterday. Sophie had decided that she would keep it a secret from him. That way, he could never possibly fail his promise!

She shuffled along the path up to the entrance, kicking the piles of leaves as she held onto the straps of her bag. And then, she saw a pair of shoes just infront of her own, covered in leaves. Slowly her eyes made their way up to James. He offered a huge smile, and Sophie felt compelled to return it, in a different ways. Her hands let go of the straps and quickly found them about his waist, pulling him into a rather intimate hug. Her little hands grabbing at the fabric of his jack covering his shoulder blades. Her slim figure pressed to him completely, like the jelly slice of a peanut butter and jam sandwich! Sophie nuzzled his chest softly for a split second before her arms fell and she stepped away.

She smiled, "Good morning James! Did you sleep well?"

James heard Sophie before he saw her. After all, there was no really quiet way to kick a pile of leaves effectively. One either kicked or did not. There was no quiet alternative to moving leaves out of one's path. When he looked up, his eyes took in her figure in a flash. The braid was a bit rougher than the one she had worn the day before, but it was probably a good compromise between she and her parents. After all, what else was there to do when there were two opposing factions wanting other things? When she hugged him, he hugged back, his arms slipping around her midback as she was just that much shorter than him.

"I did sleep well. Perfectly in fact." James fibbed. He had slept of course, just not as much or as deeply as he would have liked. That would have to be caught up over the weekend. Can't fall behind after all. James draped an arm over Sophie's shoulders and directed her inside the warmer school. A girl so thin would not do well in the cool weather. "Have you had breakfast yet or do you eat here on campus?" He asked as he realized he knew very little about her day to day life.

Thin?! THIN?!?! Why, yes she was. Sophie weighed 103 pounds that very morning, now with most of her hair chopped off. Still, she was very happy to have a shorter length, it wasn't anywhere near has heavy as it was before. Her neck felt like it was on vacation! But, nothing felt as nice as yesterday afternoon. Having it loose and flowing. If they had been at a park, she would have run just to feel a breeze pushing it back! But today was a different day, and her parents would not allow it. At least she did not have to pin back her bangs. They complimented her face, causing her eyes to look that much bigger and shy when ever she looked to him.

Sophie's cheeks, had they not been so rosey from the walk to school, would certainly turned pink when he put his arm around her. It was the first time he had gone out of his way to express his care for her physically. It did make her smile a little bit. The two entered the warm building, and for a brief moment, Sophie's glasses gained a glint of fog on them. Taking them off, Sophie displayed a small amount of skill of walking while whipping the lenses clean on the tail end of her soft scarf. Typically, she would have stopped walking, but with James, leading her along, she had no worries. She asked aloud,
"That's good!... What class do you have first?"

Sophie wasn't very good at making conversation, but she would try for him.

"James!" A women's voice chimed in, "Good morning!" Erica ran up to the pair of them. She wore a white v-neck shirt, and blue jeans. Her light brown hair pulled up into a high pony tail. She probably had volley ball practice that afternoon. Sophie slipped on her glasses, and recoiled instantly, hiding behind her friend as his love ran up and gave him his hug. She looked away shyly, before moving around them to get to her locker.

Then Erica spoke, "Aren't you guys going to come chill before class?" Sophie stopped a few steps short. Did she just get invited to hang out..?

James smiled and kissed Erica lightly on the lips. It was early enough that there was not anyone around to really come down on them for too many public displays of affection. This morning, she tasted of bubblegum. "You're looking nice this morning." He offered and slipped his larger hand around her own. It fit within his giant hand, but not nearly as well as Sophie's did. Erica was just not as petite as Sophie. "Sure, let's hang out, but let's also try to keep it to a small group today. I'm just not up to dealing with the cheerleaders and guard today."

Luckily, the young man, Sophie's prince Charming, had the forethought the night before to text his girlfriend and give her a broad idea of what had happened during the day. He did not think Erica was the overly jealous type, but he knew that if he were to start hanging out with another girl, there would be trouble. Erica had agreed to help bring the girl out of her shell a bit and try to introduce her to new people.

James turned his attention to Sophie, "Actually, I've got Calculus first. Not my favorite class, but can't really change my schedule now!" He laughed and began walking with Erica. He paused near Sophie long enough for her to grab a hold if she wished to.

"Whatever you want babe," She stole another kiss. Erica had strong muscles in her legs, making them a bit bulkier, but they were perfect for propelling her up in the air to play volley ball. She was strong, a bit boxy, having little depth to her waist. Her chest was not that large either, but she didn't mind, as it made it easier for her to run. She had an even temper, but she was happy to see Sophie decline the affections of James; bringing comfort to her mind.

Sophie looked rather stupid, not knowing what to do in this situation. Her hands held onto the straps of her bag, and smiled meekly. Her eyes looked to them from her rimmed glasses. The two, standing side by side, looked like the perfect couple from any of her novels she loved to read. As they spoke to eachother, Sophie took a few steps away from them both to put away her books and grab those she needed for her first set of classes. As she shut her locker, she was met by Erica and James again. He offered his hand to her, but Sophie simply shook her head before following them.

It was better to stick close to James, than to wander off alone, especially with bullies on the loose. As she followed, she responded,
"O-oh..." She bit her lip, "... I'm actually in advance calculus, but I understand its hard to concentrate first thing in the morning,"

Erica spoke up, "I've got history first! Man, Mr. Marshall makes it so boring..."

Is this what its like to have friends...? Thought Sophie as she followed them to the cafetiera.

"Advanced Calculus?" James questioned, a bit surprised. "Don't know how you manage in there! Normal calculus is tough enough." The halls had students milling about, but since there was still a good amount of time until classes started, they were still mostly empty. When they entered the cafeteria, James was assaulted by the wonderful smell of old food, cleaning supplies, and grease. Yep. This was the cafeteria alright.

James walked to an empty table that did not 'belong' to any specific clique about halfway into the cafeteria and dropped his bag off on a chair before plopping down next to it. The chair was hard plastic and not the most comfortable of chair in existence. "Either of you going to get breakfast?" James asked. He had eaten before coming in. Cold cereal helped to wake him up in the morning.

Sophie shrugged a little, "I just like numbers." Numbers were just a friendly as words were, but a little more confusing. Sophie felt they were the mystery novels of the written language, and loved to solve them!

Erica answered his question, leaving her bag beside him in the chair closest to the end, "I am! I'll grab you an orange juice. Did you want anything Sophie?"

She shook her head.

Erica smiled before taking off, wallet in hand. Her bum swaying naturally. Sophie stood behind the seat where James had sat his backpack. She poked him in the arm, before asking quietly, "Would you mind moving your back pack?" Once he had, she would join him. "James... I don't have to hang out with you at school... What my father asked of you was too much last night... I-I.. I'm happy knowing we're friend." She spoke in a very small voice.

James nodded to Erica, "Thanks!"

When she had gone and Sophie posed her question, he lifted the bag from the seat and set it on the floor on his other side. Well out of the way of anyone that would want to sit down. As he moved his arm, muscles twisted and turned underneath his shirt. The sleeve was tight enough just to see the display. When Sophie had sat, he turned to face her. Even sitting, she was so much tinier than him and he had to look down towards her to keep eye contact.

"Well, Sophie, we don't have to hang out if you don't want to, but I like having you as company around." James explained, "It's always nice to have your friends around and about what your dad said... I would have done that even without him asking." He smiled at her. His face brightened and changed as he did. It was a full smile that reached his eyes. "You're my friend, Sophie, and I won't stand for my friends getting hurt."

Back
Top Bottom