Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Save a horse, ride a Cowboy (Charliesweb7 & pnw2013)

Katherine was a little tired honestly. But she just hoped they could possibly sleep in a little tomorrow or take a nap. "We should go." She replied with a smile. "I mean to the fair...not home." She added, looking to him. "Is there a lot of rides?" She asked. She was not big into amusement rides. And certainly not after eating.

He thanked the waitress for returning his card and put it back in his wallet. "There's not too many big ones," he answered honestly, "with it being just a fair, there won't be any big roller coasters, although I heard that they have a Ferris wheel set up." He wanted to go on some of the thrill rides, but also wanted to spend time with Katherine. He was willing to compromise, whatever made her happy made him happy.

He led her outside, helped her into the passenger seat, and they headed towards the fairgrounds. It was an hour down the road, they arrived around 9:00. As he pulled into the parking area, they both could see the Ferris wheel and the high drop silhouetted against the night sky. The lights from the concessions and the carnival games dotted the nearby horizon. He eagerly helped her out, and they headed for the ticket booth.

Well no roller coasters. That was good. And a Ferris wheel. Maybe if it was small. She was afraid of heights at certain times. It was strange... She got into the car, buckling up before they headed out.

Once there, she could see the Ferris wheel was much higher. And she was not getting on that thing that dropped you. That freaked her out. She followed behind him, then going to the ticket booth. He paid for her against her wishes, them heading through. It wasn't very big but it was really nice!

He walked her through each of the carnival games, attempting to win her a prize at each one. He won nothing at the ring toss, he shot one duck at another game, and he strangely couldn't throw a football through a hole to save his life. He had only won her a small bracelet when he stopped at the final game: the strongman contest. He had to swing a hammer down on the plate and hit the bell within three tries.

He looked at Katherine, his eyes telling her that she was about to win a prize. He stepped up to the platform, the carny egging him on. He picked up the hammer, getting a feel for its weight. He then dropped it on the plate. It soared halfway before dropping down. "Tough luck, big guy," the carny said, "Two tries left." He tightened his grip and raised the head of the hammer above his own, slamming the plate. He was inches away from the bell. "So close!" The carny stated. He looked back at Katherine, then at the plate. He tilted the hammer far behind him, and swung down as hard as he could. He let out an audible grunt as the bell rang.

"We have a winner!" The carny yelled. "Pick your prize, Hercules." Ben asked Katherine what prize she wanted.

Katherine played a long at each game. She got one ring around but won nothing. She shot all 3 ducks and won a small stuffed dog. At the football one, she got close but not perfect. Ben seemed to be pouting and she told him the small dog was his. But he then said one more. He was so tempted to get her something. First try went half way. Then the next try he was so close! She gasped and then smiled as he hit the bell "Ben!" She replied with a smile. She ended up picking out a giant minion from Despicable Me. She loved that movie! She hugged him, kissing his cheek gently.

Adrenaline flooded his body as he heard the bell. After Katherine picked out her prize, she ran over and hugged him. He dropped the hammer and hugged her back. When she kissed his cheek, his eyes went wide and he felt himself blush. He had wondered what a kiss from her would feel like. "It's all yours," he told her, wrapping his arm around her waist, proud that he had finally won her something.

They walked for a while, he had stopped for a funnel cake that he was planning on sharing with her. He felt like they both needed a sweet reward for such a great day.

"You know you didn't have to do that Ben." She replied to him, carrying it around. "But you can have the dog I won! That way it is even." She replied. She didn't even mind his hand around her waist. This was a date really but she was enjoying it nonetheless. She looked when he stopped, her smiling. "I love funnel cake!" She added. And then got one, sitting down at a table. "So did you want to go on any rides?" She asked.

He had a special one in mind, looking at the Ferris wheel. "It depends on which ones you wanted to go on. I'll go on whatever you're up for." He offered. His blood was still racing from the strongman contest. They finished their funnel cake and headed towards the first ride that drew Katherine's attention.

Ben seemed to be rather hungry from the games because he ate more than half. Not that she was complaining. But he could certainly eat! She followed him, looking around as he spoke. "Well nothing too spinny....I don't want to get sick..." She replied. But that was about all of the rides. She didn't know what to go on then. The Ferris Wheel was a little daunting.

He noticed she was feeling a little under the weather. "Maybe we should go for a spin on the carousel to start out with?" He wanted her to have fun, but not be miserably sick. The carousel went at a nice, slow speed, yet was still a fun ride, especially with someone else riding with you.

She just didn't know how she could handle a ride like that. She was afraid that she would get sick. And all over Ben. She did not want to do that. She would be super embarrassed. She nodded her head. "That sounds like a great idea!" She added. They had the guy hold the stuffed animals as they then got on. "I feel like a little kid!" She said, laughing.

He laughed with her. "It's like we're five years old again!" They switched between riding horses, sitting in the chariot, and sharing a horse. They had taken pictures of each other as well, all of them full of smiles and their laughter. He asked her to remind him to add her in Facebook so she could see the photos.

After they left the carousel, he offered to ride the Flying Squirrel with her. The ride had you sit together in a seat, and it lifted you off the ground. It spun in a circle and you went around, going higher and lower. It was a step above the carousel, but it didn't look like it went too fast. It definitely didn't have any flips, which was a major bonus for her, he assumed. "Do you want to try it?" He asked.

Katherine smiled as he snapped pictures of her with his phone, then with her phone and they almost looked like a couple. It was really enjoyable. She figured that could be a new profile picture later on.

After the carousel, she looked at the ride he pointed at. It didn't look too bad. But she was a little hesitant. "Do you want to try it?" She asked. If he wanted to, then she would make an exception for the moment.

Her gently squeezed her hand and said, "Don't worry. If you throw up, I'll hold you hair." He joked, although he was ready for the possibility. They waited in line until it was their turn. The ride didn't seem to last too long, which made waiting in line that much faster. They both stepped into a little carriage shaped like an acorn. Ben volunteered to take the outside seat so he wouldn't crush her, due to inertia throwing them to the outside and all.

Katherine nodded her head, then looked at him. It brought them up, didn't fling them up. That was a relief. She was afraid of that. For some reason, she could do water slides....but roller coasters scared her. "I really hope I don't get sick...." She added. It didn't look too bad. She hoped her stomach was settled enough. She took the inside seat on his insistence, her getting on the inside. She then held his hand, seeming to be a bit scared.

She got in first, letting him get the outside seat. He noticed that she had grabbed her hand, and was squeezing firmly. She must be pretty scared, he thought. He smiled as the ride started. Bertie had swung her to the outside as he said. He had moved his arm from in between them to around her waist, still searching for her hand to hold and comfort her.

The ride started off a lot faster than she thought, causing her to freak out just a little bit. But once it was going, it was really fun and she was smiling. "Woo!" She said, laughing a bit. She was enjoying it now, her body being thrown into his and pressed up against his. Once they were done, she got out after him. She was laughing, just a little bit dizzy. "That was fun!" She added.

He laughed with her as they exited the ride. "That was great!" They leaned into each other, dizzy from the ride. "I say we take it easy on the next one," he suggested, "I wouldn't want you throwing up." He looked towards the Ferris wheel, and pointed her towards it. "What do you say we try that one? It seems pretty relaxing." He thought they could ride that and give her a break, making sure she wasn't too shaken up and queasy.

Katherine looked up to the Ferris Wheel. It looked a lot bigger now that she was near it. "I don't know... It looks really tall." She whispered, looking to him. "Okay..." She replied. They headed over to the Ferris Wheel, standing in line. She seemed to be so nervous, thinking about leaving. But she couldn't change once she was inside, her holding onto his hand as it started. She inhaled a sharp breath, the cart rocking which scared her.

He noticed she looked scared as the cabin rocked. He held her hand, and rested his free hand on her shoulder. "Hey, are you ok?" He cooed. "Are you afraid of heights?" He felt like a complete idiot, she had a fear of heights, and he had just brought her on the tallest ride there. He felt like today had been one disaster after another. He had felt that she really didn't enjoy his company today, he embarrassed himself multiple times, and now he was unintentionally torturing her. He hid his inner misery from her, needing to be the strong one and comfort her.

Katherine held his hand tighter and nodded her head gently. "Yeah...a little bit. I don't know....it just looks so high...." She replied. She was afraid of rides breaking. She had heard about that happening and people falling. She swallowed and buried her head into his shoulder. "I am just afraid of the ride falling apart." She replied. It was movable! That scared her. And when it stopped, they were at the top. She seemed to tense when the cabin started swinging again.

He wrapped his arms around her, embracing her tightly. "Shh, it's alright. This ride isn't going to break. They test these rides over and over again to make sure that they don't." He sighed and brushed her hair back, letting her feel safe in his arms. "Even if it does, I'm here to catch you. I'll never let you fall. I'm right here." He looked at her, raising her chin using his finger. He gave her a confident smile with relaxed eyes. "I'm here." He whispered to her.

Could you blame her? They always had stories on the news about it. She looked up at him as he pulled her chin up. His words were comforting slightly. She hated that she probably seemed like a scared little girl. Her eyes locked with his, her eyes then trailing down to his lips for a moment. Was he thinking what she was thinking? Wait...she really liked him like that now?

He pulled her close, her head resting on his shoulder and his head nestled in her hair. They both looked out as the carnival lit up the horizon. The stars dotted the sky, brighter than they normally did. The moon had shone off in the distance, a clear white crescent finishing out the otherwise empty sky. The Ferris wheel infrastructure had blocked their view until they reached the apex and stopped. The carnies were unloading passengers on the other side of the wheel. Ben knew this was his only shot: now or never!

"It's a beautiful night," he observed. He turned his gaze to her. "Almost as beautiful as you." He brushed a lock of hair behind her ear, his pulse racing.

When Katherine finally looked out, she was in awe of the view. It was amazing! She had never seen so many stars. It was quiet as well. Peaceful. She finally seemed to be a little less scared. She looked to him when he spoke, putting some hair behind her ear. She smiled gently, blushing a bit. "You are just saying that." She whispered, shying her face away a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom