Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Otherworldly Politics (Abby and Raziel)

Abby Locke

Star
The sun was setting over the ocean, its rays changing the sky to a fiery splash of oranges and pinks, fading to the darker blues and purples of the night sky. Belina was sitting on the edge of a cliff, watching the sky's fire sink below the edge of the ocean. Behind her, the sun's sparks were appearing against the dark blue backdrop, and the sun's forbidden lover was rising out of her sleep. The red haired elf sighed softly as the sun disappeared, how often she wished it was as easy to hide like the sun from the disdainful looks of her kin. She stood up from her perch and turned her back on the ocean, if she was gone for too long someone was liable to come looking for her. Glancing back at the fading colors, Belina took off into the forest, running back to her village.

For once she was thankful she lived on the very edge of the group of elves. That meant there would be less people to see her as she came back at odd hours and she would have more privacy, away from prying eyes. Belina's maternal grandmother had been the only reason she stayed in the village. Now, because her grandmother was ill, Belina was forbidden to see her. For the past month Belina had been overwhelmingly sad, the only real contact she had, had been with a few of the forest animals that knew she wouldn't hurt them. The monotony of her life was getting to her and she wanted something to happen, Anything to happen.

The sun was barely rising the next morning as Belina got up and left her home. She always left her village at the earliest acceptable hour and returned at the latest. Running through the forest, Belina ran to the part where the rest of her village had no wish to venture. Five years ago, a section of the forest had caught on fire and Belina was secretly working on healing it.

The night was a beautiful haze of deep dark blues and blacks, the light from the moon far weaker than its mate the sun. A small blessing that Alexander gave so rarely. Even so, the light was obscured by cloud cover he summoned, leaving the ground below bleak. A small sacrifice, but there was work to do, and discretion was the better part of valor, after all.

A part of the overground forest had been damaged in flames, and it had only came to Alexander’s attention recently. A purged area in cleaning fire, but a blighted spot on the land that disturbed Alexander all the same. It was this night that Alexander had risen to the surface, surveying the wreckage in detail before he started soft, deep chanting, hands weaving through the air as rune lines were drawn along the damaged forest. He could smell the fresh growth coming from rapidly growing saplings, brush and fern in measures that would make the previous land seemed desolate.

His spell weaving lasted until the morning rays came, drowned out by the thick cloud cover that threatened rain to the world. He was exhausted from his extended stay above ground, actively healing the world and staying up past his normal limits. But it was then he heard a sound behind him, and an Elf walked into the new glade. He stood still for a long moment, observing the newcomer, before he smiled, simply fading away.

The smile of stranger was slightly unnerving to Belina, who stood there watching as he faded. She frowned heavily, confusion clearly written on her face. Who could that have been? He looked similar to an elf but his scent was wrong. After he disappeared, Belina hurried into the area he had been in, searching for clues to what he was and what he had been doing. To her surprise, much of what she had spent the last few months doing had been accomplished. The forest was healed at a very accelerated rate. Pulling close a leaf from a freshly bloomed flower, Belina knelt and took in its scent. It had its normal floral scent but there was another smell underneath. Much like what it would take when elf magic is used to aid growth, yet the scent was stronger... more potent. It was a different kind of magic than any of her kin used, and Belina wondered what kind of creature could yield such powerful magic. The possibilities certainly made her nervous.

The sun was beginning to rise and she smiled at the warmth, letting the thoughts of the mystery strange leave her thoughts. She continued to inspect the the area of the forest, searching for areas she still needed to heal before she would be done. After she was satisfied for the growth of the forest life, Belina left the woods and went down to the beach, walking along the the ocean.

Alexander soon appeared in the halls of his home, a hand up against the wall as he rested away from the sun finally. His brother Zalera was soon at his side, a hand on his shoulder. “You seem unwell, you should rest.”

“I had plans on it.” Alex muttered, as he took a few steps forward. “I was seen by one of the village. She didn’t get a good enough view, however. She was left in confusion at least.”

“So that means…”

“No. We stay. We are not discovered. Nothing that Elf could say would bring a manhunt to our front door, that I am certain. But she idled in that grove for a long time after I left, so she may track me. Keep an eye out while I rest in case we have an unforeseen visitor, brother. I will be ready if necessary.”

“Yes.” Zalera bowed, backing off as Alex went into his room, finding his bed to sleep the light away.

In all truth, Belina had no desire to chase after the stranger. While he was definitely curious about him and would certainly like to know more of who and what he was, she knew that she had other things she should be doing. It was barely midday and for once Belina was in the elf village, getting supplies and visiting with the few people who were kind to her. Even through a relatively pleasant day, the mystery stranger weighed heavily on her mind.

After a few hours of being in the village, Belina's curiosity was getting the better of her. Walking out of the houses, Belina was deep in thought. There wasn't many places he could be that her kin didn't know of. Unless there was a hiding place where an elf couldn't get to, there had to be someone who knew of their location. The only other elf that ventured far from the village was the old mystic, Raina was close to ancient and spent most of her time deep in the woods. Knowing that she would be better informed than most, Belina headed to where she was sure the woman would be.

Alexander was in deep rest for the day, but Zalera was up and roaming, in thick clothing and hat that did little to hide the explosion of red hair behind him. Even still, his skills at stealth were put to good use as he came to the surface, staying in shaded areas of the forest as he followed the scent of the strange elf to her village, using his magics to remain unseen and undisturbed. He watched, and waited, and followed, until she eventually left the village. And it was then that he saw his opening to move.

He moved further into the forest, ahead of the elf and removed the magics, making himself visible to the woman. He stood almost like a statue as he watched her approach, even if she ignored him for the moment. “Dearest Elf.” He managed to speak out, his eyes locked on her. “You search for the Lord Alexander, do you not?”

Belina let out a startled gasp as Zalera made himself known. She stood there, frozen and unsure, watching him as he stood in the shadows. To say she was nervous would have been an understatement. "I... if you mean the stranger I saw this morning then yes.. I do. But I did not know that was his name." She frowned at herself, since when was she this unnerved by one person? As irritated as that made her, Belina didn't show it. She pushed back her feelings and focused on the red head. In the back of her mind she was amused that his hair was as red as hers, it was a first. "I can't help but be curious. If you have information I would greatly appreciate it." Belina stepped a bit closer to him, wanting to get a better look at him.

Zalera would have normally disappeared by now, but he was on a mission, after all. Alexander would have his skin if he left now. “Yes, the Lord Alexander has sent me to keep an eye on you, to make sure you were safe. You are unlike the other Elven Faire. Perhaps you can be trusted. Perhaps not. But I can take you to him, if you so wish. Once the sun has set, and the shadows envelope the world once more. Not a moment sooner. This is your only chance to turn away from the truth of this world.”

Belina bit her lip slightly, unsure whether she should trust this unknown man or not. She did want to find out more about this... Lord Alexander. But from the way Zalera was behaving she guessed they weren't Elven. She frowned, looking at him closely. "I will go with you." She spoke hesitantly, still unsure of herself. "Where do you wish to meet? And why after sunset?"

Belina found herself growing rather suspicious of this Zalera in front of her. What sort of creature only came during the night time? Or stayed in the shadows? She quickly pushed her suspicions aside, she would get her answers soon enough.

Zalera heard the affirmative from her, and offered a small smile, as hidden from her as it was in the shadows. He seemed to ignore her last inquiry, however. “Very good. If you will meet me where the river splits in two in the forest when the sun sets, I will take you to speak to the Lord Alexander then. Until then…” Zalera turned from her, shadows billowing around his form until it was completely surrounded… and then disappeared, the smoke clearing away slowly from where he once stood.

Belina was frowning as he disappeared, disappointed from his cryptic message. After he disappeared, Belina decided to continue to Raina's home anyways. It would still be a good thing to consult her before going to the meeting and she wanted to see her, besides, the man hadn't told her not to tell anyone. Belina hurried to the elderly elf's home, not wanting to waste time. When she arrived, Raina greeted her with a gentle smile and offer of tea. They spent most of the afternoon talking and discussing the strangers. To Belina's surprise, Raina had not heard of the strangers before and could only warn Belina to be cautious and to keep her guard up.

As the sun began to set in the west, Belina left Raina's home, promising to come back and tell her what she found out. Taking off at a run towards the river, the elf barely managed to make it to the split in the waters before it was dark out.

As the sun set, the wind picked up, blowing the leaves of the trees to a low rustle and causing small waves in the river. Clouds overtook the sky, and soon after opened up with a light rain upon the world. As Belina approached the river, the darkness of the night seemed to thicken into a thin coat over the world. The darkness seemed to coalesce into one point at the riverbank, wisps and tendrils going everywhere before bursting forth, revealing the cloaked man from before, eyes shining in the darkness of his hood.

“I see you made it in time. Perhaps Lord Alexander was right in being curious about you. Now,” His hand came up, palm to the sky in offering. “Take my hand, and we will show you the truth of the world.”

Belina's apprehension came back as she saw the man step from the shadows. However, she nodded and took his hand. "Thank you for the honor... although I have no idea why he would be curious about me." She said with soft voice. Belina was obviously nervous as she stood near the cloaked man, her uncertainty plain on her face. Her curiosity was the only thing keeping her from running away. She shuddered slightly at the thought of the darkness that had surrounded the man when he appeared. That certainly was not something the elf looked forward to.

Zalera’s fingers were surprisingly gentle as they wrapped around her hand, the darkness shifting and moving to consume her as well. “Alexander can see into the heart of men and mer. Be honored in being chosen.” The shadows enveloped the two of them, and it seemed like forever before it dissipated. When it did, they were no longer in the river bank.

The room was large, marble and stone, a great hall of a vast estate. They were in the center of the room, upon a red carpet. Zalera immediately pulled off the hat and cloak, brushing his mussed shirt and black pants down. “Ugh, the outfit is so stuffy, I’ll have to get back at him for making me go to the surface during the day.”

Watching Zalera curiously, Belina studied the man as she saw his face for the first time without a hood. Her attention was quickly drawn to her surroundings, the ornate structures captivating her with their detail. How could such a place exist without her kin having knowledge of it? She was certainly in awe of the estate. "Where are we?" She asked, turning part of her attention back to Zalera, the majority staying fixated on the room around her. His statement did catch her attention, surprisingly, and she looked back Zalera. "Why is it so difficult for you to be on the surface... and aren't we still on the 'surface'?"

“Nay, not on the surface.” Zalera said, finally looking back to Belina with his head tilted slightly. “We are about 3 kilometers under the surface. As for why we don’t appear on the surface…” He couldn’t help but chuckle. “Why, I’m sure you will be answered soon enough.”

“She will indeed.” The voice came from the stairs, and it was Alexander, slowly walking down, looking over the situation in front of him. “I see you have done your duty, Zalera.” He was at Zalera’s side, patting him on the shoulder. “You may go.” The redhead bowed and disappeared, and Alex’s attentions were fully on the elf now.

Belina almost jumped when Alex walked in, feeling rather startled by his sudden appearance. Looking at him, she was sure that he was the man she had seen earlier even though this was the first time she had fully seen his face. He was, in her opinion, very beautiful. Not in a feminine way, for he was definitely masculine, but he had a regal air around him that seemed to draw her to him.

Hesitantly waiting for him to make the first move, she couldn't help but be nervous about what was going to happen. She new she was putting herself at risk but Belina didn't feel threatened by Alex or Zalera. Her resolve to get answers was still there but only because she knew there was no turning back.

Alexander was quiet for a long while. Whether it was merely to enjoy the silence or to try to pull the first words out of her would always be a question. But it was him that spoke first. “My dear Elf, I know you come here with questions. And I have come bearing answers. Merely speak.” His eyes rested on her, quiet and watching, waiting for some sort of motion to key him into her intentions.

Belina opened her mouth to speak but no words came out. She had no idea where to start. Her questions were many and she had a difficult time wrapping her head around the past few hours experiences. After a few moments of hesitation, she finally decided on a question, it was simple and a good place to start. "Who...are you?" Belina's voice was quiet as she looked up at Alex, her curiosity finding its way back to her features.

Back
Top Bottom