Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A world Beyond (Fadereaper and Kuro_Bara)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A farm always had work and Clara's was no different. There was more so here then most because it was only her taking care of all the daily chores. She glanced around the farm yard with small shrug. "There is always work do here." Clara said with a weary smile. "I have completely forgotten my manners though. Would you like to come in for some tea Mr. Talcan." She offered leading him towards the small house.

The inside of the farmhouse was well kept. The kitchen had a small cooking stove that kept the kitchen warm in cooler months. A well worn, but sturdy table sat against one wall with two chairs. A small crocheted doily in the centre held a vase of wildflowers. There were blue checkered curtains hung around the kitchen window that her mother had sewn when she was a child. "Please have a seat." Clara murmured to her guest.

Setting a kettle on the already warm stove, she set about pulling two cups out of the cupboard. In the small icebox in the pantry she had some milk and she even had a bit of sugar that she scrounged up. Clara was also a baker when she had time and found a tin of nut cookies that she added to the table. When the tea was prepared she poured a cup for each of them and sat down at the table.

She hated to admit it but she was supremely grateful for a reason to take a break. "I agree our conversation was cut a bit short. Thank you by the way, for coming all the way out here to visit." She added with a smile more like the one she had given the night before. "I don't get many visitors here."

He understood her plight being the only person to do the work on the farm where she lived, and didn't have anyone to aid her nor anyone who showed her much interest save for the woman at the Inn and others but not a man. He smiled and would follow her into her home and looked around at it, the building was definitely very homey and well kept. Sitting at the table she offered him he would take a seat and scoots his chair forward, his gaze drifting to the various decorations of the room. "Thank you I would love a cup of tea," he said as she began preparing it immediately.

Finished making it she would pour the tea and even offered cookies which he promptly helped himself too, he took a single cookie from the plate and took a small bite of it smiling at the taste. "Very good that tastes wonderful," he said as he took a drink of the cup of tea. When she thanked him for showing up he smiled to say, "that is a shame you seem like very pleasant company." He said resting his free hand on the table, "we didn't get to speak long but I felt you would be someone I would like to know after all I don't really know anyone here I have only arrived just yesterday."

Clara wrapped her hands around the mug and savored the feel of the heat seeping into her fingers. She smiled as she took a sip of the hot tea. "I am glad you like them." She murmured, indicating the cookies. They were an old family recipe that her mother had always made for them as children and she always kept a batch around. The smell of them baking always brought good memories.

Looking across the table at him she gave him a bright smile. "Yes, about that. You never really had the chance to go into detail about why you came here." She mused. "You mentioned wanting a rural life and escaping the city." Her smiled was impish and her eyes crinkled in amusement. "Why on Earth would you abandon the luxury of the city for this place." Her village had to be the last stop on the road to anywhere with only the mountains backing them. "I think perhaps, we may be too rural." Clara joked with a gentle laugh.

He would pick another up between a drink of his tea and bite into the delectable and sweet tasting pastry, he did not wish to take many of the cookies but ended up with at least 5 from the joy of how they tasted coupled by a peculiar hunger that seemed had to keep sated. The warm cup of tea was helping bide back the cold morning air that he walked through to get here and as it coursed his body he felt that warmth spread, although her inquiries had lead similar thoughts bubble in his head especially in why he felt so interested in meeting this woman as he is doing right now. He had never actually conversed with humans socially like this, if they entered his lair they proved to be a meal not a friend.

He sighed when she inquired as if to try to hint at perhaps a depressing reason why he left, this was more to offer pause so that he could hatch a conclusion in his head. It took a moment but he would soon reply, "well it was more on the fact that I had trouble with some of the local aristocracy and suffice it to say that it was better for me to depart so as to not be on the receiving end of some vengeful business arrangements." It was followed by a small shrug, "but that is in the past I don't see why you dislike the rural country it is nice and isolated and people no doubt are more acquainted with one another."

Clara tapped her chin thoughtfully at his words. After considering them for a long moment she replied in a soft voice. "Yes...most people are well acquainted with one another, and that is unfortunately my problem." There was a hidden pain in her youthful face. With a small laugh and a shrug she refilled his cup. "The people here think I am...unwomanly because I refuse to marry their sons that they force at me." She glanced towards a faded drawing in a glass frame. It showed a couple that could only be her mother and father, both smiling happily while the artist drew their likeness.

"My mother and father raised me to be independent and to take care of myself and this place. I do not know if it is the same in the city but, should I marry this farm will become the property of my husband, women are not permitted to own land." She smiled across the table at him. "I am sorry, here I am spilling my woes to you when you came to visit." Her head tilted to the side, a thoughtful expression on her face and her long hair falling over her shoulder. "I feel oddly comfortable with you, perhaps because you are not from my village." Clara mused.

He shrugged it was not something he was familiar with, "well how I figure right to own is given to those strong enough to take it I never really knew otherwise in my home life." He said making up responses on the spot, it was not easy to come up with a false story nor did he know much about the society of where he claimed to be from. He wondered if his responses gave him away or if she believed he was actually a city man like he claimed to be, "it isn't all it seems to be in the city I promise and at least you are maintaining the farm but you shouldn't be working it yourself." He smiled at her his gaze soft as he regarded her, "perhaps that is what you need someone who isn't going to use this law you have to seize ownership of all you own."

"You don't have to fuss on my account I promise I'm not aggravated in the slightest, it is nice to speak to someone I have never been much of a social creature I have to say." His shoulders scrunched in another shrug, "perhaps you would like some help around here I need to find something to do so I can find a means to occupy my time." He said with a smirk, "unless you think that someone from urban society won't be capable of working your farm."

They smile she gave him was dazzling. "You would stay here and help me...I can't pay much." She said a sudden frown creasing her face. "But I won't lie, your help would be very appreciated." She smiled again. "You are a very surprising man, I believe you can do anything you set your mind to." Clara grinned. She was rather excited to have a house guest and furthermore help around the farm. "I can definitely provide you with some clothing, a place to sleep and meals three times a day." That was really all she could offer, she hoped it was enough.

The women in the village would think it was scandalous having an unwed man staying in her house but she didn't care. This arrangement would achieve several things at once. Much needed assistance, a method of keeping suitors away and some company. She dreaded the winter months when she was stuck inside alone and having someone around to talk with would be a blessing. She truly did feel comfortable in his presence though she still couldn't put her finger on why.

He smiled at her when she offered him the clothing and meals as he didn't have many other means to earn it otherwise, "thank you I was hoping to find some employment the gold I brought with me wouldn't last forever and well I hoped that someone in town would eventually need some hired hand." He said still grinning at her, "I don't really need gold I just need a means to sustain myself and if I can help you and find the same from doing it I don't mind at all although I don't know much about farms."

~Winter~

Winter hit the village with a force that only Mother Nature can muster. By the middle of December they were blanketed with several feet of snow which made an travel quite difficult. Life on Clara's farm had become much easier with the assistance of Casavir. He was a godsend, helping her get her meager harvest into storage in record time and cutting down on the time it took to do daily chores. It left her much more time to preserve much of the food they would need over the colder months. She could not have been happier, even her part time work at the tavern became easier to deal with. She remained working there through the winter though it was often difficult to get into the village. Now it was nearing the Yule Season and she found herself pondering what to do for her new companion for a gift.

Another storm had howled into the village and they were both curled up in her small living room in front of a roaring fire. As she worked at an embroidery that had been collecting dust for years she cast small glances over at him, smiling as she did so. She had been worried about living with him, he was when they first met essentially a stranger. It turns out he was an excellent house guest and an even better friend. Whatever had brought him here she was glad of it. "How are you enjoying life here?" She asked pulling a stitch out and fixing it. "I hope you don't find it too dull." She added making a cute face of concentration without realizing it.

Across the village a new man arrived in town moments ahead of the storm. He was a gruff man with a head full of graying hair, a thick beard and piercing blue eyes. He was swathed head to toe in warm woolen clothing and leather and head an arsenal of weapons about his body. He stomped into the in shaking the snow off his clothing and hair. He approached the long bar and waved for the innkeeper. "I'd like a room through the winter." He stated dropping a bag of gold coin on the counter.

Mary gave the large man her usual broad smile. "Of course, no problem at all, but what brings you out here in this terrible weather?" She asked her brow creasing with concern. The man stared at her with his icy eyes, his face never changing. "I am here to kill a dragon." He stated simply taking the key she had dropped on the counter and stomping away leaving her staring in surprise.

He had been spending his time on the farm and although he didn't know how the establishment ran at first he quickly learned and adjusted to the lifestyle, it was how he was adapting to suit his situation and it was why he had lived for so long despite being hunted by so many would be heroes of this world. There were numerous beings who wished to carve a reputation out of his hide, but here he felt he was welcome by these creatures and even though they were lesser than him or at least in his mind, he had found jewels that shone from the ragged would be members of this rural society. Primarily among them was Clara who had not only offered him employment on her farm, but through this he was getting food so he didn't have to hope his own stock of gold would last him.

He could never thank her enough for the kindness she had shown him it was, nothing he had ever seen in a human before and seeing this in her character seeing how she behaved he found himself drawn to stay around her. It was hard to describe but when she smiled he would smile in return to meet the gesture, when she felt aggravated with something he strove to amend the wrong doings that plagued her. It was an odd concept, it was something he had not come to expect from these humans this kind of emotion to be raised by their actions. It was a delightful surprise to the old dragon, although he hated lying to her he knew that she would fear him if she knew he was a dragon.

Now they sat together in front of an open fire that provided warmth and light to the room they were in, he had a blanket over his back for extra warmth in these winter times and he smiled at her question. "I haven't felt this welcome in a long time, I find being here to be a nice change of pace for my life, I can never thank you enough for taking me in Clara and giving me something to do with myself as well as offer food to keep me fed." He said as he looked at the ground a bit shamefully, "I didn't really come here with a plan I guess I was hoping I'd find a job of some sort that would be able to give me more money." He was at a loss of words, she hardly knew him but went out of her way to aid him it was not anything he was used to before and now he didn't ever want to part ways from this young human he had met.

Clara looked up at the same moment he looked at the ground with something of a guilty look. "Believe me Casavir, having you here has helped me as much as it has you and I can say the same about your presence. I can never thank you enough, so it makes us even." She smiled playfully. "We were two souls in need of one another it seems." She smiled and went back to her needle point, not really realizing the multiple implications the statement could imply. In her mind it meant they were literally two people that had need of help from the other.

As the winter wore on she had becoming increasingly worried he may leave once the better weather arrived and the thought cause a little pang of sorrow in her heart. She really did like his company, he was good-natured, had learned about the farm quickly and he always seemed to go out of his way to make the bad days better. His help would be missed if he decided to leave but his company would be missed much, much more. A small frown made her brow crease as she mulled these things over. A particularly vicious gust of wind rattled the windows and made her jump, dropping her craft.

She stood slowly to retrieve it stretching her arms over her head. The storms always worried her about so many things, the animals, the house, whether she would have enough supplies to last through the long ones. As a child her parents had always spent the long stormy nights together with her telling her stories about the dragon that protected the village from the mountains. Unlike the rest of the village they were of the old school of mind. The dragons of legend were not evil or cruel but guardians, many were forced to do terrible things when humans became fearful and hunted them or the food sources to extinction. Now they majestic creatures were nothing but myths. Still she remembered many of the stories her parents used to tell her and often recited them to make herself feel better during hard or scary times.

He looked at her with a shrug knowing that they both at least benefited from his presence and the same for him from her own, he enjoyed being here he didn't want to leave but he also didn't know if it was justifiable to stay here especially if she found a potential suitor and thus his presence would be more awkward if he stayed. The thought of her being courted though seemed to make him angry, he didn't know why he was so infuriated by it but he was able to keep a cool head at least at face value despite this annoying thought that plagued him as he stayed in her home. "Well I am glad that I can at least earn my keep, I never considered myself a farmer but this was a good chance for me to learn and I like to think I picked it up rather quickly." He said as he would curl further into his blanket and then he looked at her, "so when will you have to be departing for the inn? I could go for a warm meal made by Mary when you depart."

Clara smiled at his words and resolved to just enjoy his company and stop fretting about what would happen after winter. She glanced out the window at the blowing snow and frowned. She really didn't relish the idea of going to the inn on a night like this but she had promised Mary she would do her best. With Casavir by her side it wouldn't be too bad she supposed. "If we want to make it there at all we should go soon." She stated setting her embroidery on the chair and heading for the kitchen.

A small room of the warm kitchen acted as a porch where they could bundle up without making a mess inside the house. All their winter gear was hung in there. It required several layers of fur lined clothing to venture out into this weather but eventually they got dressed and headed out to the inn. Mary was incredibly grateful to see them both. The tavern was absurdly busy with patrons packed into the tables. Clara immediately shed off her winter gear and got to work helping Mary deliver drinks and food. Mary of course took the time to bring a plate of food out to Casavir, she had herself convinced that there were wedding bells in the future even if Clara and Casavir hadn't even discovered their own feelings about one another.

Clara stopped at a table where a rather large, bearded man sat unaccompanied. He stared at her as she placed the drink in front of him and as she turned to go, with a lightening quick gesture he grabbed her wrist and pulled her close. "How old are you girl?" He demanded.

Clara gave him an outraged look and tried to no avail to pull away. "Release me at once." She hissed.

His response was to wrench her arm painfully. "Your age."

She whimpered softly at the sudden pain in her arm. "20!" She almost cried. "I'm 20."

The man frowned at her. "And you are unwed?" He asked. Clara nodded and he finally released her arm turning to his drink as if nothing happened.

As she returned to the bar Mary gave her a worried look. "Are you quite alright dear?"

When she mentioned they would have to leave soon he immediately got up and would follow her to the kitchen to grab the winter clothing that would be needed to keep him warm, although he didn't really need it he thought it would be strange if he didn't and would put the furs on his body. Following her out into the winter coated land he made his way with her to the inn with Clara, it didn't take long and soon they were in the warmth of the structure. As Clara went to work he quickly found a seat close to the counter and would soon be greeted by Mary with a drink and a plateful of food, "thank you Mary your food is always a great blessing on my day." he said with a grin as something caught his eye, something infuriating.

He saw this man with a firm aggressive grip grab hold of Clara's wrist and they seemed to have a short unwanted talk about something, his grip on his silverware tightened as he watched the display but to put him down would require him to do something that would give his identity away at least without a weapon that is and he didn't bring any.

As Clara returned to the counter after the rude conversation he would join Mary in the concerned comments for her well being, "that man seemed to be very aggressive are you alright Clara?"

Clara looked a little shaken but after a couple of deep breaths she managed to calm down. She was more angry than hurt that someone could be so rude. Being near Casavir made her feel better and she unconsciously took a step closer to him. As she did she saw the man staring at them with a coldly calculating expression that sent a shiver of fear up her spine. "What an odd man..." She muttered. "He...demanded to know my age and whether I was married."

Mary looked absolutely outraged by this statement. "That is no business of his!" She declared looking all the world like a ruffled mother hen. "I'll chase him out even if he's paid for the winter." She stated rolling her sleeves up rather menacingly and hefting a rolling pin she had been holding.

Clara gave the woman a smile. "It's alright Mary, leave the man be. He didn't harm me." Though she suspected there would be a bruise where he had gripped her and her shoulder would be sore. "I better to get back to work!" She exclaimed grabbing another handful of drinks and bustling into the crowd.

Mary frowned after her and looked to the man at her bar. "Casavir, you best keep an eye on her if you want to keep her." She stated cryptically.

He felt a great sense of anger over what this man had said although he wasn't vocal about it he kept rather quiet actually, as she seemed to brush it off he couldn't help but agree with Mary to beating some sense into the cruel man for what he did. You don't just demand information like that from someone, or at least he wouldn't he didn't know the culture of these humans but he trusted the judgement of Mary in this matter and didn't think Clara gave it enough thought.

He watched as she returned to her work but was brought out of his stupor when Mary said that and he was caught off guard by the statement, easily noticeable by the change of color on his face as he was a bit flush with embarrassment. "Well, I wouldn't think it fair for me to keep anything it is her choice and not my position to decide for anything." He didn't realize that it let slip a little that he might have intended for such but he didn't want to admit it, he wasn't used to socializing in this manner he long lived in solitude.

Mary smirked knowingly. "Listen deary, Clara doesn't know what she wants poor dear. What she needs however is a man that can respect her as she is and be there to help her with the life she has chosen." She gave him a pointed look. "If we leave the decision up to her, poor lass is likely to be alone for the rest of her life or saddled with some old drunk from the town. I don't either are very good options, you understand me?" She narrowed an eye at him for a moment before returning to her usual chipper self. "Oh well I have some meals to attend to." And off she went leaving him to think over what he had said.

Across the room the bearded man stared at Casavir with a cold glint in his eye. Through his travels he had discovered an interesting trait among dragons, twice now he had tracked dragons straight to a village where he had lost the trail...only to discover the beast had taken on a human identity. Both times the dragons were attracted to a particular type of female in the village. His eyes wandered to the girl, she fit that bill perfectly and would make excellent bait for his trap.

He looked up at her and telling him what she did he didn't know what to say to her in response so he was quiet, he didn't want to think it was true but Mary knew her better than He did but there were stipulations. He is a dragon he is not a human, she would be better off with one of her own kind especially since he was for the most part feared or at least he thought he was. But something was odd about this man, he looked like a hunter of sorts but people like him don't travel here to hunt normal game he must have been after something bigger.

The way the man looked at him made him nervous it was like he was looking past the facade and knew what he was behind the human form he had taken, did he know that he was a dragon is that why he was here? No he couldn't know the truth of his heritage, it was just a coincidence but he didn't like how he was treating Clara and if he had his way he would have devoured him whole then and there but it would destroy the inn's structure and frighten everyone away. What did this man want to do?

Clara was exhausted from the busy night at the inn and as she had feared the weather only worsened. Mary absolutely wouldn't hear of them returning to the farm in the dark, stormy night and Clara and Casavir found them selves standing awkwardly at the same door to one of the inns rooms. Mary had apologized profusely, she only had the one room left but it was still better than letting them leave. Clara gave Casavir a small smile. "I'm sorry...if I had have known this I would have insisted on returning home." She pushed open the door and stared. The room was cozy, small, with a large feather bed and roaring fire already going in the stone fire place. Mary at least had provided extra blankets and a padded mat so one of them could sleep on the floor.

She blushed slightly as she entered the room, despite living with him for the past several months they had never shared a room. She started to make the bed up on the floor, her intention was to let him have the bed. She was so tired she could probably have slept on the bar comfortably.

He looked at Mary with a curious glance almost sure this was a ploy of her doing from what she said earlier, but he knew Clara wouldn't be able to make it back and although he could she would suffer for it and he was not about to let that happen. It was with willingness that he accepted the room she was offering them and when they arrived the first thing he noticed as the single bed, looking at Clara though she seemed to be making a sleeping space on the floor to use. "Alright so I think we can make this work, I'll sleep on the floor and you can take the large bed I think that will work just fine."

Clara straightened up and looked at him with a thoughtful expression. "That hardly seems fair." She said smiling. A particularly vicious wind rattled the windows and she jumped, her cheeks coloring faintly. After a moment she glanced up at him with a small smile. "It...it would be warmer if we shared it." She suggested in a shy voice, she didn't want to admit it but she was afraid of the stormy weather. It was on of the things very few people knew about her. Clara always put on a brave face and to admit she had a fear like this felt like a weakness. She stood a few feet away from him staring at her feet, feeling embarrassed that she had even suggested such a thing.

He looked at her and then at the ground and he knew it was true, the room would no doubt probably suffer from some drafts and those one the ground would pay the price for that in the morning and with a sigh he nodded at her comment. "I think it would be but if you are not comfortable with it I am fine with the floor, either way I don't want you to be sleeping on the floor that doesn't sit well with me so if you are not perturbed by sharing it then I suppose it will make a good compromise." He said as he would sit on the bed and would begin removing the top layer of his garments, starting by removing his boots and his gloves he sets them at the side and then the thick shirt he was given to wear on cold days and puts that over his other detached garments. Leaving in him a single tunic and trousers left, "are you sure you are alright with sharing Clara?"

She blushed deeply but looked at him with a smile. "Yes I am sure." She murmured. Watching him pull off most of the clothing he was wearing. "Would you mind...turning around while I..." She tugged her gown idly. She could sleep in her shift which still covered a decent portion of the body but just the act of removing her gown in front of him made her face burn. Without waiting to see if he complied she turned and faced the fire reaching behind her and pulling the laces on the back loose. It took a few good tugs but eventually they came undone and she was able to slip the gown off and let it slid to the floor.

He nodded when she made her request and he could see the red tinting to her face and as she disrobed he patiently picked a spot on the wall to focus on until she was finished, "just let me know when your decent." He said with a small grin on his face, was this a semblance of joy he was feeling that they would be sharing a bed with one another to night? He felt so juvenile finding such joy in the notion but he had thought about this numerous times and perhaps this was the push he needed to really move things along, the entire time thoughts about what Mary had told him set in and he could feel his heart racing with these thoughts on his mind.

Taking a deep breath she turned around and tried to keep her galloping heart under control. Clara padded over the cool floor and climbed across the blankets to the side nearest the wall. She peeled the heavy comforter back and borrowed under them, pulling the blankets to her chin once she was comfortable. She peeked over the top of the blanket at him with a small, playful smile. "Its nice and cozy." She murmured, grinning a little bit. She wondered if he was as nervous as her...she doubted it, he probably had plenty of lovers being from the city. Sharing a bed with her was probably boring by comparison. The idea of him having partners in the past cause a tiny pang of jealousy to spike through her heart. The feeling surprised her, she hadn't realized how close they had grown over the past few months. As she watched him get ready for bed she mulled over this new information. Did she care about him as more than a friend and companion. A blush crept up her neck when she reached a conclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom