Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Loner Cat (Malin x Aise)

Ren blinked he could tell when someone was hiding something from him, and looking around he couldn't help but notice that this area was not the one he lived in. Ren spent his life in a small apartment far away from places like this, seeing the overly lavished houses, and hearing the way she referred to Harold he could already tell that something was a miss what he couldn't figure out was why it was amiss, and what part she was playing him for. Ren didn't speak far to wary of Kara to actually try and break the silence. He was still trying to build a map of this place in his head everything seemed far to extravagant.

By the time he realized that this wasn't actually Kara's house but rather an over taxing resturant the likes of which he had never seen before he was partly blown out of the water. He didn't even own clothing that would allow him to fit into a place like this, in his current look he would stick out like a sore thumb, not to mention the tail that followed him around and the ears, if people saw him eating at a place like this, or hell even at the door to a place like this there was no doubt that there would be questions. He blinked looking down at Kara He didn't have the kind of money that this place would take, he couldn't pay for anything like this, and maybe that had been her plan all along, bring him here, force him to eat a meal he could never hope to afford and then stick him with the bill.

The only way he would be able to pay for that kind of thing would mean that he would have had to turn into a collared pet, which she would then be there ready with a leash in hand to take him as her own little pet for amusement. He saw the entire dark situation play out before his eyes looking at the door to the place that he could never afford to enter and how she was looking up at him. He wasn't even hungry, let alone hungry enough to sell his soul no matter how good the meal would have actually been.

"No way. I have seen this movie, you stick me with the bill and next thing I know I am a pet to someone who can pay off my debt or I am washing dishes for the rest of my natural life span. This place is far too out of my league." Hell how could she even afford to buy something like a meal here? let alone two, His eye twitched slightly as he realized that she must have been very rich. So he was right then, she was just trying to get a pet out of him, she could certainly afford to make him into one. He bit his lip the panic rising in his throat. "You can thank me any other way, but I will not be your pet!" He hissed, almost yelled at her in fact, as he took away his hand and started to walk back. He could already guess that Harold was her actual boyfriend, and she simply wanted him as a collection item.

Staring up expectantly at Ren, treating him to something nice was the only thing she could think of that she could offer. And having missed lunch due to her little accident earlier. She was sure Ren would have been a bit peckish as well, but apparently she’d been completely off the mark. When he denied her offer at first she’d expected the reaction, but the words that followed shocked her more than anything she’d experienced that day. Dumbly blinking up at him as if Ren had spoken a foreign language. Her brow then furrowed to glare up at him, her expression more hurt than upset that she’d be accused of doing something so malicious. Even after Ren had pointed it out, she still couldn’t imagine anyone, especially not herself trying to force the bill on someone who clearly couldn’t afford the place.

“P-pet?” she repeated, her mind still not catching up to what had just happened. It actually took a few seconds for her to realize Ren was talking about collared pets, and not the actual household pets found in normal houses. The accusation caused her wince in pain, a sharp pain piercing her heart and making her feel a bit light headed. She could feel tears building up inside her, but she managed to push them away, staring at Ren’s back as he made a move to walk off.

“Is that how you see me?” she whispered, her voice barely audible to herself. Clenching her trembling fist. A memory of her childhood flashed through her mind. One of the girls back in elementary school who Kara had thought would be her best friend had accused her of buying their friendship. It wasn’t what she’d intended at all, but she simply didn’t know any other way of showing her gratitude.

Biting her lip, she tried to think back and work out if she’d said or done anything to make Ren think she wanted to buy him. Sure, she’d approached him out of the blue, but that’s how people made friends right? And after saving her life, she figured she owed him, not the other way around. Hell, if her father found out that she’d nearly drowned he’d probably close down and demolish the school before giving land rights to Ren who’d saved her…. but on the other hand if her father found out the reason she’d stayed so long in the pool was due to Ren…. Well, she didn’t want to think about that.

kara's voice was well within the audio range of his ears, and he perked slightly, turning in time to see the pain that he had inflicted onto her face. His ears twitched as he looked at her. A moment ago he had seen her as a plotting stratagist who would have had no problem sinking a knife into his back, but the more he watched how she looked like she was about to cry, and he thought about how her voice sounded the two images didn't match inside his head. The question remained though if that wasn't how he was supposed to view her how was he? She had told him very little about herself, except that she had tried to very clumsily ask him out, before nearly drowning. His tail passed nerviously around as he looked at the setting oh people were bound to nottice that she was upset, and that he had practically just yelled at her.

His stomach was empty that was more then true, he was hungry because of what had happened during their lunch hour, but his own paranoia got in the way of wanting food, and currently it was doing a fascinating impression of backflips, as his mind went over the evidence trying to find some way he could support his claims. In the end the only two factors he had that could support it was that she was rich, and she was human. It was an image that was painted in the broadest strokes of the word racist, and for a moment Ren felt a slight amount of shame for having said what he did. "I'm... sorry?" His voice was loud enough for her to hear, he was sure of it, but for some reason the words seemed to be stuck.

It didn't take much to realize that the whole reason she had drowned in the first place was because he had swam to the deeper end of the pool. Had they stayed in the shallows to talk, nothing bad would have happened to her, the event he had saved her life from had been something he had more then just caused, and yet she had wanted to thank him? Part of it didn't add up, but at the same time he was still very wary of her.

"Your... What are you looking for?" He said finally. the question still on his lips as he turned back unsure of what he was doing at this point his common sense was telling him that he should have walked away. "A girl of your status and wealth does not walk up to an uncollared. Neko human relationships, friendships what ever are strictly one way. If you are being honest then say it here and now, what are you looking for, and how should I look at you?" His voice seemed soft though he didn't know what the answer would be. He had only known human, and neko relations to be either completely one sided or completely frowned upon. She was trying to take an uncollared to a place like this an action that probably would have stained her reputation for years, and yet he could tell that she honestly wanted to just have a meal with him.

Ren's mind was being blown.... and he didn't understand why.

Kara honestly had expected him to walk off. Now that she’d heard how he felt out aloud she was forced to acknowledge that his harsh words and actions hadn’t been made out of shyness or discomfort. But more out of distrust and dislike, emotions she wasn’t accustomed to being directed at her way. People she knew mainly liked her, or stayed away from her. Ren had been trying to do the latter, but Kara hadn’t allowed it, and now she was having to face the consequences. She knew it was just a moment thing, but part of her was even starting to wish that she’d been left alone to die in the pool now. The chilly realization feeling so much worse than the embrace of the water depths. Honesty was refreshing, but honest hatred was something completely different.

Watching Ren leave, she flinched nervously when he slowly turned around, offering an apology. The cold inside her immediately warming up a bit with hope upon hearing his words. Sorry meant that he did think of her ‘that way.’ And knowing that made it impossible for Kara to be genuinely happy. But the his next question revealed that she might be able to change his opinion of her. Her brow twitching with irritation.

“I’m not walking up to an Uncollared” she grumbled, the ‘word’ coming out just as malicious as Tracey’s had been, but for completely different reasons. She was annoyed that Ren had referred to himself as one, but even more upset that he’d been thinking that that was how Kara had been thinking of him. “I’m not interested in Neko’s either” she continued, averting his gaze and staring at the ground, shuffling her feet a bit.

“And I don’t know how you should look at me either.” It was ironic that Ren was asking her how he should look at her. He was so against the idea of belonging to someone, but at the same time he was trying to impose the concept on himself more than Kara was, or perhaps he was just trying to speak from what he presumed was Kara’s perspective.
“I’m wasn’t looking for anything, though if I had to pick something….. I wanted to stay near you” she mumbled, reaching up and pulling down a strand of black to cover her eyes. It would have been easy to say she wanted Ren as a friend, but she wasn’t sure if that was completely true, and she knew that even the slightest bit of hesitation of uncertainty would make Ren suspect her of lying.

“But if you hate me that much, if you think I just want you as a pet…..” trailing off, she couldn’t find anything else to say. It hurt to speak, to think, to breathe. She was already considering calling Harold to come pick her up so that she could be taken home and allowed to hole up in her bedroom. The safety of her home where she’d spent most of her childhood .

Ren winced hearing her voice was painful, the way she trailed off, and mumbled he could see the pain he had inflicted on her face. His thoughts trailed back to a time reciently, and the look of another woman. remembering the last night he had seen her, and how pale how devastated she had looked. Did he even deserve another chance to be around another person? He bit his lip unsure of what to do as the memory faded from him he was still left facing Kara, her long dark hair so very different against the others blond, but the looks were the same. She had been hurt, rather authentically at his outburst. He didn't want to hug her, more out of fear encase he had already missed that chance.

It took more time then it should have for Ren to step forward, placing a hand on Kara's shoulder he didn't know what he could say. His tail was low, and his ears were drooped slightly. His hand was shaking slightly as it stayed on her shoulder he tried to find some words, but he really didn't know what to say. He didn't want to simply say he was sorry again because he didn't think that would be enough from his outburst. He breathed lightly knowing the two of them had made a very loud scene, in an area where he knew full well it would not have gone down well. Years ago he probably would have been put to sleep by now, thankfully those new protection laws were in place. Though the disorderly conduct charge could still have applied. He blinked looking around him.

"You will have to pardon me." As he spoke his voice sounded almost disconnected from the world around him. He sounded upset, and part of him deep down felt cheated. If Kara had been as evil as he had thought then he could have felt justified could have gone on living like he normally did and let his prejeduces be valid. She had now cheated him out of his delisoun that all Humans were evil to some extent and while he didn't trust her completely, he finally understood something about her. "I've never... really... um... No one has ever wanted to be around me in a long time." He said honestly and truthfully. There was more to it than that, but he could see the other side of the conversation now.

"I didn't think... and maybe I have ruined it, but...." His voice seemed to trail though his hand stayed firmly clamped onto Kara's shoulder it felt like he was using her to support him so he didn't simply fall down. Rather it felt like he was awkward for the first time in a long time. He knew what he wanted to say but the words wouldn't come out, and he felt clumsy for it. He just didn't have any real tact for what he was trying to do, and never not in a million years did he ever think that the next person wanting to be near him in any respect would be a human. He had become so used to passing every day alone, and letting his hate, and spite shield him from people around him that he had honestly never seen this event coming.

Kara couldn’t stop herself from flinching when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Something had changed inside her when Ren had accused her of wanting him as nothing more than a pet, his hand didn’t have the same warmth she’d felt earlier, and part of her expected him to lash out angrily, perhaps this time physically. Scrunching her eyes closed she prepared herself for the worst. She knew she hadn’t answered Ren’s question fully, she’d listed a few things she didn’t want, and what he’d asked her was the opposite.

The formality and distance in his voice as he spoke only an arm width away from her did little to soothe her worries. She didn’t have to pardon him at all, and whatever damage he’d initially intended to do had already been done, and couldn’t be retracted. The question was whether the damage had been enough to completely destroy any chance of them being together in any shape or form. Kara wasn’t so sure where they stood anymore either, but after thinking his words over for a silent moment, she decided nothing had truly changed from a literal perspective. Even if he did think of her as some malicious witch trying to make a fool out of him, it didn’t change the fact that he’d saved her life, offered to walk her home, and perhaps most importantly pressed his lips against hers during CPR… It wasn’t a kiss, it wasn’t even anything affectionate as Ren clearly didn’t see her that way but….

“You’ve ruined everything….” She uttered quietly, looking up at him, her eyes still harboring the hurt his words had caused her. “But I’ll forgive you if you kiss me” staring at him expectantly for a few seconds before smiling weakly. “I’m kidding, don’t look so disgusted…”

“Just a few seconds” she whispered, leaning forwards and wrapping her arms around his waist, she pulled herself up against him. Resting the side of her head against his chest. Finally finding the warmth she craved, she showed no signs of letting go. And even an idiot would be able to tell that peeling her off literally would ruin everything between them. It might have looked inappropriate to everyone else, but to Kara it only made sense for an apology to neutralize the cold lonely feeling she’d been forced to endure, even if it was just for a few seconds.

Fortunately for both of them the street was rather empty, having taken a step away from the main road, only residential cars would pass by, and there was a still an hour or so before people would return from work. Cars that did pass by either didn’t notice them, or care enough to stop. Though a plump woman with her Pomeranian did walk past, giggling like a school girl at the sight, before muttering something that sounded awfully like “Lucky pet.”

Oddly it wasn't disgust on Ren's face as she asked for a kiss, rather he looked at her like he was considering all that happened. How he had hurt her feelings and nearly ruined everything he took a deep breath for a moment. His arms encircled Kara, for a moment thinking over the request, a Kiss was a rather simple thing. he held her closer, his arms tightening as he heard the words the woman muttered flinching slightly as that was exactly the kind of behavior he had expected from people, yet she had surprised him.

He placed a hand under her chin making her look up for a moment, and as soon as he did he moved his lips to hers. He closed his eyes half unsure what he would do or say afterwards, but the request had been so simple. She had managed to put up with him at his worst, and while he wasn't about to accept anything more than this request, a kiss seemed a relatively easy thing for him to give. His tail perked slightly as did his ears as he had to admit he enjoyed the touch of the lips His arms held her tight against him for a moment as he opened his eyes not sure what reaction to expect from her as he pulled his head away.

It was odd but in her hug he was finding a level of warmth that had been unexpected. Certainly it had been a long time since anyone had wanted to be near him, but this felt far more interesting than that. He held her closely his strong arms embracing her rather gently even after all that had happened... And with all of it being his fault. He was lucky, but he believed Kara, he wasn't her pet. He wasn't sure what he would be, or wouldn't be but for now he had a word for it.

"Friends?" It was the highest level of affection he felt he could offer at this moment. He wasn't sure if it was what she wanted, but it would take time for him to accept anything, time that the two of them did have. All in all he enjoyed the embrace and the warmth, feeling it overwhelm him for a moment he even started to purr slightly. He didn't have much of a voice after all the emotional fighting and resisting he had done, he didn't think his words would really do anything, and he found himself enjoying the partial silence that was building between the two. He had never really thought that he would have met a person like Kara, and it was interesting to have her around. Though it was still very clear that he had issues. Just from his previous outbursts, but he had done his best to take a first step towards something new. He didn't know if she would continue to embrace him after their kiss, but she had been the one to request it.

Kara didn’t actually believe anything would come from her request. She hadn’t been serious about it, in fact she’d said it partially as a joke. She wasn’t even sure if she was interested in Ren that way yet, though there was no denying the tingling pleasure she’d felt on her lips when she’d awoken with Ren leaning over her by the pool. Even her embrace had been a gesture to indicate that she’d forgive him, and the joy she felt when Ren wrapped his hands around her small frame was indescribable. She could feel the familiar warmth… no, it was more a pleasant burning sensation now. Driving away every bit of coldness from her body, her body tingling with warmth as she looked up at him sweetly, smiling kindly at him, just as he lowered his lips over hers.

She was shocked. Her eyes widening with surprise as she tasted Ren’s lips, a much stronger treat compared to the lingering taste that had remained when she’d regained consciousness. Her body tensed, and her hurt pulsed excitedly. She didn’t even consider pulling away despite her surprise, instead closing her eyes and leaning up to meet the kiss with her own.

Kara’s eyes too opened at the same time as Ren’s, her cheeks tinged red, and her breathing a bit heavier than usual. Her cerulean eyes were clouded with something that couldn’t be described, though it was clear she was in some sort of trance. Her lips still parted slightly, unmoving from when Ren had kissed her. The kiss, as brief as it had been had been amazing. Her stomach was still aflutter with happiness, a feeling she’d never felt before, but one she was already addicted to. It wasn’t until Ren spoke that she finally snapped out of it. Blinking with confusion as the world magically materialized around her.

“Huh? Oh, umm, of course” she mumbled, her mind trying to work out what had just happened. The utterance though disappointed her though. The elation within her subsiding a fair amount as she came to the conclusion that a kiss wasn’t as special to Ren as it was for her. Perhaps it was something as easily done as a greeting amongst neko’s? Or maybe he was experienced in this sort of thing?

Looking Ren over with new eyes, she noted how tall he was, his handsome face, his lean yet athletic build. Just looking at him made her blush even deeper. The sudden embarrassment causing her to quickly unravel herself from him and take a step away. It was then that Kara realized that they were still standing by the side of the road. In plain view of any customers that might have been inside the store. A quick glance around revealed one particular woman, glaring at Ren with disgust, before pulling out her phone and dialing a number.
“We should go” Kara blurted out, her hand shooting out and grabbing Ren’s hand once more, only to immediately let go a second later. Pulling her hand away as if she’d touched something burning hot. Staying here was dangerous, especially for Ren, but Kara couldn’t find the courage to mention their kiss out aloud, nor the courage to explain that the woman was most likely calling someone neither Ren or Kara wanted to deal with.

The kiss had meant a lot to Ren as it had proven to himself that he could still show affection for others, but as he looked at Kara's reaction and how she blushed and the world had seemed to fade away. He wondered if it had been the correct action to make. He reflected upon it, feeling how her lips had tasted and he had enjoyed it, both his tails and ears were very much perked, and he hadn't even been paying attention to the people inside the restaurant, rather his attention was fully on Kara's face seeing her smile had been worth the kiss, but there was something else as he watched her pull away.

The way she panic'd and tried to grab his hand confused him. Wasn't the plan to get some kind of lunch? "Um wait." He said not having realized that the kiss had been seen. She had dragged him to this location on purpose right? His stomach letting out a growl as everything else passed him by. Did he screw up again? Something was clearly his fault, and he didn't really know what it was. He blinked confused as Kara seemed to want to go. Maybe she wanted to just go home, and his outburst had ruined their earlier appetite, but it felt odd in just the way she was looking at him. His back was now turned to the woman, so he had no chance of realizing what was really going on.

"Wasn't their a point for us coming here?" He said lightly this place was so far out of his price range that he had first only looked at it with panic and fear. Now curiosity had perked his interest. At least now that he knew he could trust Kara. It was also the fact that he felt a little drained, after all that had happened he really just wanted to sit down have a glass of water. Take some time to put things into perspective for himself, instead Kara seemed to be agitated, like he had done something wrong with the kiss. Which was odd because he could have sworn that both of them had really enjoyed the intimate moment. He had no idea that someone was on the phone telling people about what was sure to become a scandal for both Kara, and her entire family. He wasn't sure what he had just set in motion with what really was or at least had been a small, but very pleasant, public display of affection.

Ren walked form the steps of the store following Kara but he didn't know where she would go, or what was wrong. instead he was just kind of confused though his tail remained perked. Everything about his body language said that he was happy about what had happened, but he was curious as to why Kara a girl who was seemingly obsessed with holding his hand would have pulled away the few times he offered it to her freely. Things weren't really adding up because he for all the information he had, his mind was still reading the location as 'with Kara'. He had forgotten that this was an upscale area. One that he really had no hope of blending in with, and one in which he was actually in grave danger the longer he stayed around it. Still this was Kara's area right? If she wasn't gonna force him to be a pet, then he didn't have anything to fear, she had after all brought him here. He walked slowly, unsure of what is going on.

"Why can't we stay?" At some point between the hug and the kiss, he had started to trust Kara, and what she had said earlier about food. To see how eager she was to get away from the food was slightly painful. If only because it was becoming apparent to him at least that he was hungry now. He really hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.

Looking up at Ren with disbelief, she might have even been hurt by how casually he was acting if it weren’t for the embarrassment she was feeling right now. Fortunately there weren’t that many people who’d noticed them, but those that had were ogling them like they were some alien species or something. Kara didn’t care about her reputation, nor her families seeing as she was confident her father could crush any rumor that popped up. What worried her more was how people would see Ren. While Neko’s had been given the right to choose their own partners, the idea of a Neko male with a human girl was something many would scowl with disgust at. And some may even start accusing Ren of taking advantage of Kara.

Taking a deep breath, she told herself to calm down before reaching out and grabbing his hand and pulling him away. Her appetite completely forgotten now that she’d received something much more filling and warm. “We can come here another time, I’d rather settle for something a bit more simple today” she lied, looking over at Ren’s clueless expression.

Dragging Ren down the street and into an unfamiliar street, Kara finally stopped, breathing heavily as she turned to make sure they weren’t being followed. She wasn’t used to moving around so much, especially when she had to pull someone along behind her. Pushing Ren against a wall and then leaning her head against his chest. She took a few deep breaths before looking up at him slowly, her eyes seemed almost pleading for him to do something to her, but that wasn’t the case at all.

“Ren… I don’t mind that you took my first, I mean I did technically ask for it, and it felt really nice, and I’m really happy you… k-kissed me, but… but could you do it when there’s no one watching next time?” she asked, forcing the words out of her mouth. “People were…. Staring….” She whispered weakly, burying her face into his shirt as she was reminded of all the surprised and disgusted stares they had gotten.

Ren gave in the moment he was dragged and followed quickly. Watching Kara with a keen eye still feeling a little too happy to really pay attention to the details. However when he watched Kara breath heavily he became slightly more worried about her. He didn't really know what to say to her, and so he waited until she spoke, and when she did suddenly the heat drained from him, his ears and tail deflated almost instantly. Reality hit Ren like a ton of bricks as he sighed. The true value of the kiss being shown now by the fact that he seemed so upset. For a while he had been so calm and happy lost in the moment almost, he had completely ignored things he knew for a fact were around them. Now even as Kara embraced him and burred her face into his chest it hardly seemed to cheer him up.

"Oh..." He hadn't even noticed the looks that he knew most people would have given them. He swallowed lightly his hand raising and lightly gripping Kara's back as he pressed her against him again. For a moment he had forgotten that such actions were taboo, and all that had mattered to him was the fact that it had happened, now that he was back in the real world though it was more clear that he hadn't been acting casually rather he had been acting happily.

He looked down at her eyes, but this time he felt kind of depressed. He nodded lightly though he kept a hand on Kara's back. "I... Liked the kiss as well, and I am sorry, I guess I wasn't really paying attention to anyone else." His voice was slightly ashamed even though he didn't have much of a reason to be. He just felt kind of bad. he had doubtfully put her in an awkward situation. Not to mention the fact that he would probably be seen as some kind of sex offender now. Kara was younger then him after all, though he didn't think it was by much, they did after all attend the same high school.

He brushed some of Kara's long hair lightly playing with it in his hands. It felt soft, and he admired it for a moment. But seeing how hard she was breathing, and how he could feel small patches of sweat on her body. He had to wonder what was wrong with her. Was she physically weak or did she carry some kind of illness? He honestly didn't know the answer, and part of him wanted to ask but instead he leaned back slightly and pressed a hand against her forhead checking to see if she had a temperature, and if not he would pass it off as though he was brushing some of her hair off of her forehead.

Kara immediately felt guilty when she saw Ren’s excitement waver and then deflate. The look in her eyes immediately changing to one of concern, the simple utterance he offered in return was one that tore at her heart, and while she knew she hadn’t done anything wrong by telling him why they had to leave, she felt she had to say something. Things were only made more difficult when Ren mentioned how he too had enjoyed the kiss. The simple words causing her breathing to catch in her throat, she let out a cute little cough, lifting her small hand to cover her mouth as she looked down to hide the flutter of happiness that surged through her mind.

“J-just be careful next time, only when you’re sure we’re alone.” Kara mumbled wrapping her arms around his back and hugging him once more to show that she wasn’t upset with him in the slightest. She couldn’t help but wonder what had happened to their relationship. One second Ren was telling her how horrible a person she was, and the next they’d been kissing and enjoying the warmth of each other’s bodies. She couldn’t understand Ren at all, at first he’d wanted to get rid of her, and then he was saving her life. He’d hidden from Tracey not wanting to be seen with her, and then he was offering to walk her home. And now this. It was like Ren did like her, but was being held back by something, something Kara easily identified as society.

'What society doesn’t know can’t hurt it'

She flinched at the words that faded into her mind. Surprised, she initially thought Ren had whispered the words, but the voice had definitely been too feminine to be his.
Enjoying the feeling of his fingers running through her hair, she was briefly reminded of her mother, a kind loving woman who used to do the same thing to her as a child, memories of her mother slowly began to resurface in her mind, her eyes immediately tearing up as she knew they were nothing more than memories, she was both disappointed and relieved when Ren moved his hands to her face, his hands feeling awfully nice on her bare skin. Her body was a bit warm from the running, her face even more so due to the embarrassment from earlier, but it wasn’t hot enough to be alarming.

Ren blinked as she said something about next time. Ren didn't even think that there would be a next time. Though he was slowly starting to realize that he didn't mind the idea of their being a next time. Kara was cute, and her long hair reminded him of someone else though she would have had to be blond for the direct comparison. Hugging her felt odd though and the more she embraced him the more he was leading up to accepting it, but at the same time part of him still wanted to resist her. The kiss had been a one time thing right? She had asked him for it requested it practically and he had taken her lips because after all that had happened it had seemed reasonable. His mind kept trying to rationalize these things before he finally just pulled away. He didn't feel comfortable with how clingy she was, back then when she had been hurting it had seemed okay, but now that she had seemingly put him in his place.... things just felt a little different.

As he brushed her forehead and felt her smooth skin he saw her eyes starting to tear up, and for a moment he didn't know if it was something he had done, or something he hadn't. He was nowhere near used to this much contact with another person, and the fact that she was so clingy and now seeing her cry, he felt awkward. He didn't know what was wrong. For a moment his eyes glanced around the street to try and see if there was someone anyone else who could help him in this situation but they were still alone in a back alleyway. At night this place would have been rather creepy honestly it was shady and no one could see anything from the curb. He could see why Kara had pulled him in here if she had wanted them to be alone. Returning his eyes to her however he took a small step back almost instinctively. "Is... it something I said?"

If only she had the right kind of ears and a tail.

The thought didn't really shock him, in all honesty it had been on his mind since he had first had to deal with her. Her long black hair, and cute frame were attractive, but the more he looked at her the lack of Neko features started to ring out to him. It was a little difficult to stay at her side, knowing that if he did he would inadvertently make both their lives harder just by talking to her. Let alone sharing things like their earlier kiss. The fact was he had moved too quickly for his own good, and now he felt an air of awkwardness about being around Kara. The way she clung to him was odd to him. He wasn't used to being this close or having someone hound him. Part of him was starting to think that maybe he should send her home, and wait it out. In time maybe he would feel less awkward or she would forget he existed. Honestly right now both options seemed fine to him, as long as he could let society be as it was. Fear was holding him back from enjoying himself anymore. Fear of the society, the future, and largest of all his past.

Brought back to the present as Ren’s hand moved away, and she was asked if she was okay, she looked at him, only realizing then that she was actually about to cry, she quickly shook her head, wiping the tears away from her eyes before smiling up at him weakly, “No, it’s nothing, your hand just felt really nice running through my hair” she said softly, her voice cracking a bit as she couldn’t shake the memory of her mother away. Her mother had passed away a long time ago, leaving her alone in the world with her father who was always busy with work. Kara was born with the same illness her mother had passed away from, and her father refused to let her go out because of it, locking her up in the luxurious mansion, with the closest thing to a friend being the educational tutors her father employed. It had been after much begging and pleading that she’d been allowed to go to school, and it was a conditional attendance that could be retracted at any time if she showed any signs of being unwell…. And nearly drowning she figured was unwell enough.

“Sorry, just give me a sec” she whispered, wiping the tears away once more, lowering her head and taking a few deep breaths, before looking at Ren with a forced smile, though her bottom lip quivered slightly. “Well we can’t go back there today I think” she stated with empty cheer. “I don’t really know of any other places to eat around here, but I’m sure we’ll find something if we head back to the shopping district?” she offered, not entirely sure if that was a good idea either since there was bound to be a few other students loitering around the mall at this time. The restaurant had been ideal as it was unlikely any student would go there, but walking in there now would be…. Problematic to say the least, unless she somehow convinced everyone that Ren was her pet, in which case the kiss and everything could be brushed away as Kara just having a very odd taste in men. It was common for men to see their female neko’s sexually, but male Neko’s were usually purchased as a free form of labor, or as a status trophy to show wealthy guests how sleek their Neko’s tail was. Either way, it didn’t change the fact that being collared was an end to a Neko’s freedom, and after seeing the way Ren had reacted earlier, Kara couldn’t even suggest they pretend Ren was her pet.

A similar thought was running through Kara’s mind, ‘if only Ren was human’ things would have been less difficult. And for the first time, she was consciously aware that she was thinking of Ren as a potential love interest, and not simply an interesting character who’d distract her from Adam who was bound to hound her for an answer soon. Blushing lightly at the thought and going quiet once more, the heart filled notebook should have been enough to give it away, but for some reason, nothing had really connected up until Ren kissed her…. he did kiss her right? Even if she was the one to ask for it, he wouldn’t be kissing her unless he at least liked her right? Or was the kiss just an apology? That couldn’t be it, Kara had specifically stated she’d been joking, so there was no need for him to follow through unless Ren wanted to. Feeling her body warm to the idea, she was able to regain some genuine cheer at the thought.

A low sigh seemed to ecape Ren's lips as he watched her wipe away the tears. He was glad honestly the last thing he really wanted was too see this small girl cry needlessly. He wasn't sure where he honestly stood with Kara, but he knew he liked her enough that he was willing to keep her around. Even enough to kiss her really. She was kind, and the first human girl to ever act kindly towards him certainly, but he couldn't help escape the feeling that there was more to it. She had a certain shy quality when she told him something, when she confronted him about not wanting to turn him into just another pet neko for her and her family. He honestly believed her, and that made her the first person he had honestly trusted in a long time. It was an honor he didn't even give to his family anymore. How far he trusted her was still to be seen, and trust could easily be pulled away if she did something to harm him, but for the moment, he felt he knew Kara.

There was an odd calmness to his body as he nodded keeping in mind that his petting her hair had been in some way's the trigger for her tears. He wanted to ask more questions, but there seemed to be larger problems in play. Mostly she had started talking about food again, and that had instantly bought his attention. Ren was still very much hungry and he didn't want go away hungry. Though for a moment he looked at Kara. A long puzzled thought escaping his mind.

"Just how rich are you?" The question seemed blunt, but at the same time his tone was quizzical, he honestly wanted to know just how he had ended up out in the middle of no where with someone who seemed to be able to afford to walk into places he had never heard of before. "Nevermind, which way is the market district from here. I have never been to this area of town. Way too upscale for me." He said trying to wave off his earlier comment and laugh it off.

'Doubt her parents would like to know she was with someone like me.' he thought lightly, knowing full well that if her parents were any level of protective that he would probably have been shot on sight for the actions he had incurred already. First from nearly drowning Kara, and then from taking her lips in a kiss. Kara wasn't just a member of society she was a member of High society, there was no doubt that if he stayed around her things would become more and more awkward between them. Still he put on his best face, he knew things like this should not have bothered him, but they did.

Back
Top Bottom