Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Hunters [Modern Fantasy, Killdozer & erinkate424}

Killdozer

Star
The day was calm, cloudy but not raining, a mild temperature. Typical noises came from in the city, sounds of cars and traffic, people moving about as they went through the schedules of their day. Nothing seemed out of place or odd, just a regular day to all of the regular people going about their regular days. That was, of course, how it seemed to the normal people in the city. Other people weren't having such a nice day.

A crushing sound came as the body hit the wall, a groan escaping the man that had just been thrown through the air. With a grunt he pulled himself up from the wreckage of the hole he'd just made, glaring out in front of him. A deep, creepy laugh came from down the alley where a tall, human-like creature stood. If he were to describe it to someone, the closest thing would be an ogre or a troll, but pretty damn big. Dusting himself off, the man started walking towards the beast calmly while it continued its approach towards him.

"I always give them one chance. One chance to go back wherever they came before I deal with them myself. You have now used up that chance, Mr.Ugly. I usually give them a nickname too, and that's yours. Mr.Ugly. Maybe not entirely creative, but I now have a headache and a backache, so you're going to have to deal with it," he said, speaking as the two walked toward each other. The large beast grinned, laughing once more before running forward and sending its fist flying downward toward the ground. The man snapped his finger just before it hit, and smoke then surrounded the fist as it slammed into the ground, forming a small crater. The smoke flowed around its arm and upward, forming above the beast. It became human-shaped, then the man popped back into existence, holding a black-colored blade. He came downward, the sword embedding itself in the back of the creature's neck, dragging down as he fell, leaving a deep gash along the creature's back. It howled, spinning and swiping behind it. Smoke again was all he hit, and the smoke launched at the creature's face.

A few minutes later the man walked out of the alley, whistling a tune. "Oh, right," he said, giving another snap of his fingers. The aura that seemed to be around him disappeared, and people on the sidewalk glanced over at him as he suddenly appeared to them, shaking their heads and moving on. He joined the flow of people, walking away. The beast, with gashes and stab wounds that killed it, was slowly fading away.

The dull day was nothing new, just another day to most, except for one girl that is. She had been able to see scary looking creatures since she was a young girl, and now that she was nearly twenty, it was easier to ignore them. Though on rare occasions, she'd slip up and make herself look a bit odd in front of others to her own dismay. As she walked down the busy streets of the grey looking city, she heard a loud crash from the alley ahead, and quickened her pace slightly to get a peek at what it was that made such a loud crash.

Once she reached the alley, she peered down, only to see a man being thrown into a wall by a large creature, causing her to gasp in surprise. She was about to call for help, but the man stood up, Dustin it off like it was nothing big. Fulton Her head, she watched the fight that occurred right before her eyes, not knowing what to think of it, she just assumed the man was just another creature with slightly more human looks... Sighing, she continued waking on with her groceries in her hands, and returned to her home. She figured it was best to just forget what she had witnessed, just as she always did... Besides, she'd never be able to find the man like creature even if she tried her whole life.

A few days went by, and she had successfully pushed the event from her mind, carrying on with her life. The day was sunnier than usual, and she was enjoying it that morning as she walked into her favorite coffee shop to grab a cup of coffee for the day ahead. Her long blonde hair was pulled back slightly, falling over her slender shoulders lightly as she walked up to the counter. Her warm, cocoa colored eyes looked over the menu over head, her arms crossed deciding what to get, as her slender curves hid beneath her tank top and demin shorts.

After ordering paying, an receiving her cup of coffee she turned to see the very same man she had seen in the alley, just sitting at a booth like any other normal person. She walked over to him, starring down at him in awe, wondering if anyone else was aware of him. "You... You were in the alley that one time..." She mumbled, her hands trembling lightly around her cup of coffee. It was probably an odd display to on onlookers in the shop, but she didn't seem to be aware of anyone else but the man Sutton before her. "Why are you just sitting there like everything is normal? Aren't you some evil monster?"She accused curiously, her voice getting a bit louder, causing people to look up at the two curiously. People began to whisper and point as she stood there, her eyes wide in shock, her hands trembling as she just stared at him now.

"Thanks, you have a nice day as well," he said with a smile, dropping a dollar in the tip jar before taking the coffee and moving to a table. Another regular day graced the city, there hadn't even been a creature attack yet, much to his enjoyment. Any moment he could get to be normal, he embraced. Off from any job, today he took in the sight of the people at the coffee shop, reading a paper to catch up on things that were distressing the normal humans.

Noticing someone approaching him, his gaze moved up, seeing the girl that now stood before him. He smiled and was about to say something, but she spoke first. His brow furrowed, a bit confused. "I've been in plenty of alleys, you'll have to be specific," he said, giving a smirk, confused about what exactly she wanted. After she spoke again, his eyes narrowed. He wondered if she was referencing what he thought she was. Her body language seemed to agree with him, her eyes wide with shock, fingers trembling on the cup.

Catching the stares and murmurs of those in the coffee shop, he thought it would be wise to get them out of here. "Well I'm not a monster, as far as I can tell. Maybe we could talk about it, not here," he said, standing and moving, motioning for her to follow him out the door. Getting them away from the enclosed space of the coffee shop would be best if they were going to be talking about this. There was some excitement to his voice and his step, he was intrigued, happy to see if this was going to turn out as he hoped: another person that was like him, that could see those beasts.

She was very surprised as he spoke and stood up, motioning to follow him out, as she realized she had caused a little scene. Blushing, she put her head down and followed him out of the shop and to a quieter location. It was surprising that the day was so nice, and usually the girl would be enjoying it right now, but she was focused on the man she had followed. Looking over him curiously, she wondered how exactly he had done what he had if he wasn't one of those monsters.

"I saw you fighting one of those things. I thought you were one of them. How did you do that if you're just a guy?" She asked, her eyes trailing over him full of suspicion and curiosity. The city was large, but it was still strange that she was just now crossing paths with this man, having lived there so long, she figured she had met most people already. Waiting for his reply, she held her cup of coffee tightly, wondering if he was just a monster that had found a way to look human.. If that was the case, she'd be in serious trouble. There was no way she'd be able to fight off one of those things, let alone escape it, and the right terrified her.

He took her outside, moving away from the coffee shop and the eyes and ears of the normal people. This certainly wasn't something to discuss out where anybody could hear them. At least the people in the coffee shop would probably not remember what it was she said, just chalking it up to them being some weirdos. Which, he supposed, they were.

They went to a spot in the park nearby, underneath a tree. Still in public, but away from anybody that might hear them. Stopping, he turned to her with a smile and listened to her speak. He was right, it was the time a couple days ago then, that giant that threw him into the wall. "Well, I am just a guy, but I'm a bit different. I'm like you, I can see things. Things other people can't see, things that they don't even know exist. A while ago I found a way to fight back, and I've been doing it since," he said, during this time he sat down, resting against the tree. Flashing another smile, he stuck out his hand. "I'm Calvin, by the way."

Back
Top Bottom