Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Ventrilo

Would you be interested in getting Ventrilo to talk to other BM members?

• Yes

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

YukiBlue

Star
So I have been looking into something called Vetrilo. I figured it might be something interesting since it was sent to me by a friend who plays WOW and this is what his raid group uses to chat while they play. I wanted to bring it up as an opition to people, because personall I would love to actually chat with people rather than have to type. The thing would be getting a server for it but on their website they have plenty of links to places you could get servers. Because of the fact that the most users ever online was 168 the biggest server we would really need is a 250 slot. Which we could upgrade at anytime. The way I have had it explained to me is that 250 would be them most who could be on at once. So what I was thinking, if I could get enough backing from everyone, I would be willing to front the first months payment to get us a Ventrilo server because it would be nice to have a way to talk to all of you.

A 250 slot server is $59.99 per month no discount from LeetServers.com

• Of course.

I do believe the outcome was hosting costs too much.
              Or something along those lines.

[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

It's called donations. And I think with all the people on here, we could manage it. Like I had said. I am willing to pay for the first month. If I had the money, I would pay for a whole year but 600 is a bit much for me right now.

• Pfffft.

Well, like I said, their verdict was basically no.
              Aside from that, voice chat is something that
              can be done over other venues like Skype.

I also haven't noticed that anyone else has
              really given their input on it, so I'm assuming
              they feel the same.

Oh well. You never know.

[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

I honestly prefer vent to skype.

Also I see no reason why we need to be able to support 250 people in vent at one time. We rarely get more then 25, not even sure if we get all that close, people in chat.

We can barely get 100 people online at any given time. Investing in Ventrillo when donations towards the site would be more beneficial is pointless. If anyone wants to throw money at something, Vek would be more than happy to take it.
If you want to go that route Yuki go ahead, but I highly doubt you'll get A. Donations and B. Many people.
Skype is a better option or any of the other free voice chats out there.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
I honestly prefer vent to skype.

Also I see no reason why we need to be able to support 250 people in vent at one time. We rarely get more then 25, not even sure if we get all that close, people in chat.
We could go with the 50 just to make sure incase we get that many, if we get that many.

Holy fucking shit. I could do the year for 50 myself.
It's $143.88 per year for a 50 and it's 20% off.

[Edit]: Ok. Nevermind. I might just go with the 35 slot. I'd be doing the year plan which makes it 7.99 a month and it's totally worth it. At least that way, some people could have fun with it.

And Aku, I plan on when I get paid this month, giving Vek at least 200 for everything.

I would much much MUCH rather all donations go towards Vek. We're several hundred dollars in the hole for the hosting he's provided, and paying that back is a far better goal then an expensive voicechat with limited interest and usefulness. I would like our own Vent server at some point, but being as we have a server already, it would be a better choice to run our own at the point where it has a purpose.

I'm not saying taking all donations away from Vek. As I said Try, I will be paying for one when I get paid this month. I will be paying for 2 months worth of a 35 slot. We will see how that works. Call it a trial basis.

YukiBlue said:
I'm not saying taking all donations away from Vek. As I said Try, I will be paying for one when I get paid this month. I will be paying for 2 months worth of a 35 slot. We will see how that works. Call it a trial basis.
Right, but what I'm saying is, so long as you're gonna spend money on BMR, I'd rather you just donate it to Vek.

Skype does mess up with video chat from time to time, but that is different depending on the computer being used. I've never used it for solely voice chat. But Trygon is right, the site should be taken care of first.

As for options for what to use for a chat system, there's a bunch of messengers that can be used for voice chat and text chat for groups. We have ajax chat, though that's only text. And there's always Skype, and Steam can have group chats with voice, as well. And jumping into online gaming, as well.

Consider this to be a odd question, but what if someone already had a Vent up and there was someone who had prior knowledge?

Reason being is because I know a guy who has one up, but it looks rather empty since I'm the only guy who's on it.

Sorry if I am resurrecting a dead thread or even beating a dead horse (poor horses always get beat to death and beyond...)...

Ventrilo isn't very difficult to set up and a server doesn't require all that much in the line of hardware, an old machine can run it. The only issue is that configuring it if you're behind a firewall or on a router can be a bit of a hassle. The other option to Ventrilo is TeamSpeak. Both programs work well and the use is a matter of personal preference...

I have used both and done the configuration for both client and server side of both Ventrilo and TeamSpeak. Though I rarely use either anymore, I am sure that it is only a matter of reading through the change logs to find out if anything has changed in either program. If people are truly interested and the Vent server gets overloaded or someone wants to set it up on a secondary or tertiary machine and needs some help/pointers, feel free to let me know.

I don't suggest hosting a vent or TS server on a website hosting machine as the bandwidth requirements for both programs can get rather demanding when there are a number of people in the voice chat.

What it all comes down to is what people want to do, while there are plenty of chat programs and such, only a few support voice chat, in general, and group voice chat, specifically. If this idea takes off, by all means, let me know, I'll do what I can to help out, even if it is simply helping people figure out the configuration and setup for it.

Back
Top Bottom