Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Shy Librarian - Trixie & Tim

Trixie

Super-Earth
The East Point Library was a very simple affair on the far side of the city, where big city buildings started to give way to residences and small businesses. Situated in the middling city of Bay Harbor, it mostly went unnoticed in a marketplace, flanked by a dollar store and a little Mediterranean restaurant. It did what it could, though, having quite a few books, mostly tended by the thrifty librarians of the Bay Harbor public library system. Among them just happened to be a girl named Emma.

She was what might have come to mind if someone mentioned the word "librarian". On the short side, around 5'4", with medium length brown hair that bordered on the frizzy, pulled back into a ponytail. Intelligent blue eyes were hidden behind a pair of glasses that happened to be perched upon a cute, mildly-upturned nose. She was on the chubby side, though not really obese by any stretch, with her upper body concealed under a cream-colored sweater, added on to by a dark brown skirt that fell all the way to the ankles of her sensible shoes, filled by stockinged feet.

She was presently in the fiction section, carefully restocking the various shelves from a rolling cart of recent returns. Science fiction, a thriller, and, she noted with a somewhat wistful sigh, some manner of romance novel with a rippling male protagonist on the front, a young woman held in his glistening arm as he whisked her away from her life of idle contentment, full of books and quiet days at home... with a faint blush, she realized she was thinking more about herself, and made swiftly to shelve the book. Well, that was the dream, wasn't it? And fittingly held in the fiction section. But the job awaited, and Emma quickly took to rolling her cart down the aile to put away some book about wizards.

Jake was a in the big city for the first time, he just flew in a few days back, he was with his band. The kind of indy, underground, music that no one ever heard of, that was them. They had a decent reputation with the small unknown clubs they played at back home, and a few weeks ago they caught a lucky break, a record producer happened to be on vacation in their small town, visiting family, and during this time he had decided to stop in to one of those clubs the very night Jake’s band was playing, he played guitar and sang a little, though he was more or less a guitarist. The producer liked their sound enough to speak after the show, sign them right then, and pay for a flight out to the recording studio. That was three weeks ago now, it was crazy, they had a real deal…Not just their drummers younger brother burning CDs for them, but an actual record deal.

Jake was always one to read, but foolishly had forgotten his book bag back home, he always had it with him, how could he have forgotten it?! Either way, there was nothing he could do about it now. They would only be out here a few weeks so it didn’t make sense to buy anything; he looked up the address of the “East Point Library” and took off from the hotel. He had a good bit of trouble finding the little place, and just when he was ready to give up he stumbled across it, happily he pulled up, put his car in park, turned the key and hopped on out. He strolled into the little building, looking around for a few minutes, quietly wandering. He was looking at the shelves, reading the spines of books and paying them more attention than he was his surroundings. And because of this he simply stepped out into the hallway, right in front of her cart. After being crashed into by the book toting librarian he blinked, stumbled, and nearly lost his balance. He had been hit rather hard, not that it hurt him, more just startled him and knocked a few books off the trolley like cart. He shook his head and reached down to help her pick up book, “Oh, god, I’m so so sorry about that! I was not paying any attention and just…Uhg…I’m sorry.” He placed the last few books up one the cart before offering the rather cute woman a smile and extended hand, “Names Jake, you are?” He offered politely.

He stood there in a simple sky blue button up shirt, lean jeans, long jet black hair flowing down about shoulder length. He had a friendly smile, kind deep blue eyes, and overall a very pleasant look to him. He was, unlike the woman before him, was rather skinny, lean, though not twig like.

Emma was humming some manner of tune underneath her breath (maybe it was a side effect of the wizard books, but the astute would have noticed it as the theme to the Harry Potter series of movies), glancing more at the bookshelves than where she was going with that cart of hers. It was inevitable, of course, that she would run right into someone coming around the side of it, jolting a few of the books off the cart and onto the ground. "Oh, gosh! Sorry!" Emma cried out, going scrambling for her books. She had a couple in her arms before realizing that the third that had fallen had already scooped up. Realizing that she had more or less tossed herself to the ground after the books, Emma slowly stood up, glancing from the ground to the man she had run into.

O-oh, my.

"U-um. It's okay. Sorry, I... I wasn't looking where I was going. You're alright, right?" she asked. She wasn't sure if she'd run into him harder than she'd thought, or... well, ran into a more delicate area with the corner of the cart. There was no way to be sure but to ask. Meanwhile, her eyes flitted back to his face, feeling a blush creep into his cheeks. He was rather cute; taller than she was, lean, handsome, well-dressed, and oh god, he'd asked her name.

"Oh, uh. I'm Emma. Nice to meet you, Jake." She hesitated a moment before realizing she should probably take his hand, and immediately did so, her slender fingers wrapping around his hand for a quick shake.

Jake simply offered her a grin and nod, "Oh yes, fine fine fine, don't worry about it. It happens, no problem." He couldn't help but find her rather cute, bumbling, nervous, blushing...It was rather adorable, he gripped her hand tight but not with the matcho-death-grip a lot of men liked to use, showing off their 'strength'. He still held up a rather charming smile, "Ah, well, nice to meet you Emma, work here?" He asked, glancing down to the name-tag, as well as the fact she was pushing a cart...Perhaps it was a bit of a silly question, but he wanted to talk to the cutie librarian, and that was the first thing that had come to mind. (Sorry it's short!!)

Outwardly, Emma smiled, nodding as he spoke... perhaps a bit too long. Inwardly: Talk, you blubbering pansy! "Still. Um. Glad I didn't... you know, hurt your or anything," she said, taking a conscientious step to the side as she dragged the cart back a bit, so that it wasn't sitting between the both of them, more or less. "Um. Yes, I do. I'm one of the junior librarians," she said, glancing down her own nametag when he did: Emma Williams stared back up at her in shiny lettering. Which meant that she did most of the work while Agnes, the senior librarian (both literally and figuratively, given that she was sixty-four) napped in the back office. Emma honestly didn't mind. It was work she enjoyed.

"You?" she asked. "Er. Not asking if you work here. Just... er. Is there anything I can help you with today?" she asked, giving him a shy smile. She wanted to tell him that she wasn't normally such a massive pansy... just when she was talking to cute guys, a thought which made her blush. She was drowning in a sea of awkward just then.

Jake chuckled a little at her, he shifted some and crossed his arms before giving her a bright grin, he was anything but shy, quiet for the most part, but certainly not shy, "You're kinda cute, know that?" He said shaking his head, amused but not in a condescending way, he simply thought she was adorable drowning in her awkwardness, he loved it.

He nodded a little, "Yeah...Actually you could. I was looking for Dante's Inferno? Uhmm...Not sure which one, I know it was published in 2007...Hmm...Oh yes! It was translated by Hollander? Would you happen to have it?" He asked politely, still giving her a bit of a flirty grin accompanied by one of his most charming glances. Enough to make even confident women start to sweat.

She almost couldn't believe the words that came out of his mouth, and it brought a crimson to her cheeks. Mostly because "cute" wasn't the word she usually heard thrown her way. Generally, it was things like "dorky", "geeky", and behind closed doors, where they thought she couldn't hear them, "fatty", among even more hurtful terms. Cute wasn't something that showed up unless she was talking to her dottering old grandfather, and the man was borderline senile these days. She almost wasn't able to respond, looking somewhat taken aback, all told.

"Oh. Um. Sure! Yeah, we should have that. I... actually think I just put it back," she said, giving him a small smile. Goodness, he was getting her bothered in all sorts of ways just then, and she had to admit... she kinda liked it. "Um. Just this way," she said, before glancing back to her cart. There were only five books left, and... well maybe it was her sneaky way of making him spend a few minutes longer there before he spun off into the ether, never to be seen again... "... actually, would you mind, um, just holding on for a moment with me? There's only a few more books, and it'll just take a minute. Then I can get you your book?" she asked, biting at her lower lip. It was a pretty obvious move, but she wasn't quite sure what to do just then. Her sea of awkward had only the book cart to hold on to just then, and she'd grab on to anything that'd keep her head above water.

A sly grin creeped across Jake's lips, he caught the move near instantly, it was endearing, "Why of course." he said with a nod and accompanying knowing look. He really did find her adorable. It was great. He walked beside her, "So, Emma, like working at a library? I had a job at one when I was a teen, though I lost my job." He said with a grin, walking right beside her, perhaps a bit closer than one would normally walk to another person, he knew it would make her heat up a little. So he couldn't help himself. He crossed his arms as he walked besides her, always making eye contact as he spoke and she replied, a very attentive listener. He was very open about eye contact, blatantly staring down into her eyes with his deep blues.

"Good," she said with a meek smile, and now that she was back on the job, she began to push the cart once again. She picked up some book about dragons and placed it away where it belonged, before moving to the next one, taking each book at a time and settling them back where they belonged. "Oh. Um. I do. I've always liked books. It's nice to be around them all the time," she said. It sounded impossibly nerdy, but there they were. She glanced up at him as he walked beside her, noticing that he made a point of meeting her cobalt eyes with his own deep blues that reminded her of the ocean.

Take me now was the thought that she hastily suppressed with a cough. "You lost your job? How come?" she asked. He was clearly having the intended effect on her, even if she was trying her darndest to keep that from being readily apparent. She put away the final book (she really had very few left to do), and made to stow the cart away off to the side before she turned back to him with a swish of the skirt. "Inferno?" she asked, gesturing toward where such a book would be located in the confines of the library.

Jake nodded at her explanation, "Yeah, I always the 'nerdy book-worm' myself. They have a certain comfort to them, you know?" He said this, and it was true, though he looked anything but nerdy now. He knew the charms were working, perhaps it was a bit cruel to tease the obviously inexperinced librarian. But...He just couldn't help himself. He dropped his hands to his sides, swinging them casually as he walked, one brushing hers for a long moment, not clear if it was intentional or not. He looked over, offered a small smile, "My bad, Emma." He said with a gentle smile. He really did have a kind look to him.

When she asked about his job he simply let out a cool chuckle, "Well, the place I worked was a big fancy 'ol place. Used to be a church. Now there was this lot behind the building, me and my buddies would play baseball back there...The librarians didn't like it...And with good reason. My buddy, Jay, tossed me a fast ball and I let that sucked rip..." He offers a sheepish grin, "Right through these big stain glass windows in the back." He chuckles softly again, "Needless to say: They didn't like that." When she returns he nods, "Yep, that would be the book. Great story." He says with a nod, he looks through the books before pulling one off the shelf, grinning the same charming grin he always dons at her he nods, "Mind checking me out?" He asks with a smile. After a moment he chuckles, "I mean the book out?" He states, giving a sly smirk.

She gave him a shy smile as she felt his hand brush across hers, leaving a curious lingering sensation of heat. She wasn't sure what was up with that, but she wasn't about to complain about it overly much. "N-no worries." The moment he had his book and regaled her with his tale about how he was fired, Emma goggled at him. "Goodness. I hope it didn't bean anyone," she said. But on the inside... He's athletic, too! Not that she was into sports at all herself, and... well, she was on the chubby side, of course. It was just that... she wondered what was underneath that shirt of his.

"Um, sure," she said, feeling her cheeks heat up. He'd noticed, hadn't he. The looks she'd been giving him. She thought she'd been subtle, too! She was completely unaware that, for a moment before, she'd stared at him speechlessly. Things seemed to be moving more quickly than normal, and goodness, was it hot in here? Fanning herself idly with her hand, she made her way toward the front counter. "Um. I'm going to need some information so that you can get a library card," she said. Like an address, but more important, a phone number. Not that she would ever have the courage to call herself.

Jake follows her with a bit of a grin, she really was adorable with her awkwardness, he adored it. He nodded at that, "Of course, uhm, I'm not really from around here..." He gave off some of his personal info, got his card, and started to swipe it under the scanner. He nodded, "Thanks miss, have a great day. You were beyond helpful." He offered a wave and walked out, glancing over his shoulder as he did, giving a final smile before walking back to his car.

After a few hours, most likely near the end of her shift at the library, he returned, opening the door he walked in to try and find her. When he was able to locate her he walked right on up to her, "Emma?" He asked politely, when he had her attention he grinned a little, that same charming grin, "Hey again. Just poping back in cause I wanted to ask you something...Interested in getting a bite to eat? Going out to dinner or something like that?" He said, tilting his head a little as he looked at her, waiting for an answer.

"That's fine. As long as we have your home address, it'll be fine," she said with a small smile. After all, they could just bombard him from there with fees if he didn't turn his books back in. She was surprised to see that he was a way out of the city, and wondered why he was here. Of course, she didn't have much time to ask as he got his book and made to leave. "Um. No problem. Have a good day," she said somewhat distantly. And there he went, off into the great big world out there. Ah, well. Crushes were fast and fleeting, and you never knew when you would see one again. Still, it made her sad and feel somewhat disappointed.

Hours later, not long before the library was set to close, Emma was reading some book at the desk. Others had gone home by this point, and it was in the final fifteen minutes before she had to wake Agnes and head home for the night. Leftover soup and some Game of Thrones awaited her that night, cuddled up with her cat, Bean (a testament to the great Sean Bean, but a poor portent for a cat named after an actor with a remarkable proclivity for dying in everything). But such was not to be when Jake returned, much to her surprise. She looked up at him, trying to hide the fact that the book was some manner of romance novel. Heavily dog-eared from where she'd been reading the thing more than once.

"Um... I... okay," she said after a moment. She was clearly stunned, having never expected to see the handsome charmer again. She was tempted to ask if he was kidding, but she managed to bite her tongue and merely accept it.

Jake grins at her response, "You act like you've never been asked out before." He said playfully, it wasn't meant cruelly. Though someone who didn't know him could take it as such. However the tone in which he said it, and pleasant bright expression given as he did hinted this was not the case. He nodded a little at this, "Well...When did you want me to pick you up? Or do you have anything going when you get off work? I'm sure we can find somewhere good around here to eat, or go out to see a movie. I'm up for anything you wish." He stated simply.

He thought the whole shy thing was so very enduring, she seemed extraordinarily sweet, he found himself already really drawn to the librarian. He really was happy she said yes...Though he knew she would by the way she looked at him that short while ago.

"Ah, um, no, I have," she said with a small laugh. "Just... never here," she said, gesturing broadly to the library. It wasn't exactly the most happening place in town. "Um. I actually get off in..." she checked the clock, "ten minutes from now! Actually," she said, glancing down at herself with a frown. "... maybe an hour from now? I'd rather not wear my work clothes," she said, settling both of her hands on her stomach. It wasn't exactly "date" material, in her mind, though the fact that it was a date made her stomach flutter beneath her hands. It had been quite a while since she had gone out with anyone that wasn't just a friend!

Jake grinned at her, and nodded, “Oh come now, you look perfectly cute as is!” He said, crossing his arms as he looked her over, he nodded his approval, he wasn’t just saying that to be nice: he really thought she looked good. He chuckled lightly and nodded, “BUT…If it pleases you…Feel free to head on home, change, and we can meet…Where?” He said, tilting his head a little as he looked right at her, again with the intense eye contact. Intense…But so good, seductive even. And part of him was trying to be a little seductive; he knew how woman with her shape (though he found it perfect) could be treated sometimes. And he knew she would probably be a little susceptible to compliments…but he was by no means trying to take advantage of her, he was just a genuinely nice person, and it showed in everything he said, did, and even just the way he held himself. He still looked just as good as he had before, though he ran a comb through the long raven black hair before walking over, but nothing more. He shrugged a little, “But really, you do look good. So if you want to head out that sounds fine. I can keep ya company for ten minutes or so…Whatever you want.” He said then offered a nod, leaving the choice to her.

Emma blushed right back at him, and turned a smile down to the counter. "Well.. I've been up since early. I'd just like a chance at a shower, too," she said meekly. She wasn't able to meet his eyes quite yet, feeling a little lame for wanting to head home first, but she rarely went on dates. She wanted to put her best foot forward in that regard. "Um. Well... how about we meet in front of here in an hour? I don't live that far away," she said, as she made to pick up her purse (a large green number), sliding it on to her shoulder. "I'll just be a bit, okay?" she asked, turning a bright smile on him as she bustled away into the back. Moments later, she returned with an old lady, with grayed hair and a black, curved cane. She seemed to get along pretty well, even if she was tired.

"Huh, who's this?" Agnes asked. She quite openly scanned him with her eyes, with the total lack of shame that was so unique to some old ladies.

"This is Jake, Agnes. Come on, let's get you home," Emma said, offering Jake a brief wave as she hustled the old lady out. "I'll see you soon!" she called back to Jake. She made sure he was out before she locked the door behind her, and headed for her car. Carpooling had become standard between her and Agnes, and she got the older lady into her little green Honda before driving off.

An hour later, Emma was back at the library. She'd had a chance at a shower, and had quickly blow-dried her hair, tying it back with a small scrunchy so it was out of her face. She had picked out a black dress with a modest neckline and a skirt that fell to her knees, and simple black shoes beside. She clutched her purse in front of her, almost like a shield, as she awaited her date. She had to admit.. the thought made her smile.

Jake grinned at the old woman, her blatenness was all but hilarious, he simply gave his ever charming smile and nod, “Howdy there, Agnes.” He said simply, nodding to Emma, she had rushed out so quick he hadn’t been able to offer a reply, “Hour sounds perfect…Can’t wait.” He said with the same appealing smile he always wore. When she bustled on out of the library, he waved and watched her go. The way she was always in such a rush was rather amusing, as was the way she stumbled all over herself around him. He couldn’t think of a more adorable sight. As she drove off he walked over to the small blue pickup and hopped on in, turning the ignition and heading back to the hotel.

He took a quick shower, combed his long black hair, and decided to dress up a bit. He had only brought a handful of “Dress Cloths” with him this time, but it would have to do. He put on a pair of nice gray dress pants, they were thin and hugged his legs quite nicely, to go with this he grabbed himself a nice long sleeve button up, a dark purple color, he looked rather dashing, he made sure to roll the sleeves up a little as he always did, giving him a good looking, but casual, appearance. About a half hour before their date, he took a seat by the door, fiddling with a nice leather wrist watch, however time escaped him, his mind floated off and he dozed off a little. When he awoke from his short snooze he had about five minutes to meet her, and considering how far away the hotel was…There was no way. At all. He would be late. So he grabbed his keys, rushed out the door, and sped off in a hurry to find the library, due to distance, unfamiliar area, and of course every drivers worst nightmare: traffic. He pulled into the parking lot a half hour late, he quickly leaped from the car and rushed to the front, hoping she would still be waiting for him, “Emma?!” He called into the darkness, he was a decent ways away and couldn’t see her in the night.

Back
Top Bottom