Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Learning from a master (Cheshire x Tema)

Well, at least ladies had nothing against blushing. His comments turned her ears a nice shade of pink along with the rest of her face and chest. But she could give as good as she got.

"Would you really have made me scrub the kitchen floors if I hadn't found a way to make contact?" She was vaguely curious about all of this now. It put a new spin on things. On their interactions.

"Would you really have put me on my hands and knees on the hard floor, riding out the humiliation I would suffer?" She really should watch her phrasing of things. But she wasn't thinking, she was just teasing.

"Well, I do eventually plan to have you on your hands and knees, riding something out."

Vallios looked over and shot her the most mischievous of smirks, and then gave a sly wink. But then the fire crackled and a stray ember struck him in the cheek, causing him to look away and bat at the burned spot, swearing beneath his breath. Karma was a bitch sometimes, but at least the misfortune would probably spare him any form of retaliation, playful or serious from Serefina. Oh well, whatever happened was worth it, he couldn't let such a delightful innuendo pass by unscathed.

Again, the phrasing got the best of Serefina and it took her a moment. But when she got it, her eyes widened and she reacted on pure instinct, scrambling to her feet and and huffing indignantly as she placed her hands on her hips and glared at him. "I will not be on my hands and knees before any man. Hmph." And with that, turned away from him. Besides, that wasn't natural. Well, for all intents and purposes it was the most natural way. She'd seen enough animals to know that. But she also knew that humans did not do it like that unless they were a whore, as her sisters so eloquently put it.

With that said, she started to stalk over to the trees. Maybe a walk would clear her head of all the conflicting signals.

"Oh come now, I was only playing on your words."

Murr. Females were so picky, and couldn't appreciate a joke. He continued tending to the meal, wondering how long it'd take Serefina to simmer down and forgive him for his comment. As he thought about the answer, he realized it'd probably be after breakfast. His cooking did seem to tranquilize her quite efficiently. At that thought Vallios found himself overcome with laughter. It was quite an odd role reversal, the male working dilligently to prepare a meal that would repair relations. But, any attempts to consider Serefina and Vallios ever being a "normal" couple, or at this point much of a couple at all were pretty far-fetched.

Or were they? Both had many common interests, and they could get along quite swimmingly as last night had proven. For twenty more minutes Vallios sat in silence, ensuring the food cooked to perfection, then he stood and shouted, not willing to leave their meal unattended should any animals be lurking around, waiting to snatch the seared meat.

"Oi! Food's up!"

She heard his laughter as she walked about, but it managed only to fuel the fire since she had no reference as to why he was laughing, so she simply assumed it was at her. At the call of food, however, she came back, her body refusing to let her pass by such a meal as the one she'd had last night. She sat down once she'd been given her share of meat, and allowed herself to be mollified for a while. But it simmered in the back of her mind.

"I am not a whore. IF." the emphasis was on the strong if. "IF I take a lover, I will be loyal to him and to him alone for as long as I draw breath. I will not be rutted upon like some whore in the street or some animal." She had a great deal of pride in herself and value as a commodity. And perhaps it was that sensitivity that came from her sister's jealousy that stirred the idea within her breast upon what being a whore meant.

"I did not call you a whore, and you speak of position as if it's more than the means through which a couple is comfortable together. Lovers will do many things, whatever they enjoy most together. But of course, you and your civilization pass judgment over everything, even what transpires behind closed doors. Sharing passion this way is not proper because we deem it so."

The words were cold, a rebuke to what Vallios saw as ridiculous and totally illogical. Vallios ate in bitter silence, frustrated by her short-sightedness. As he ate, he found himself also brooding upon the subject. Between bites he thought of more to add to the point, and found himself unable to keep his silence. THe words would likely just further frustrate Serefina, but perhaps they'd help make his point more clear.

"I would never refer to you as a whore, no matter how much you angered me, or how much I wanted my words to hurt. It disappoints me that you think me so low."

Her kind could be so frustrating! So locked up in their tradition and rules that they were blind, despite their broad view of politics and mercantile relations. Vallios allowed the flavors of the meal to still his inflamed tongue, if only temporarily. This time, Serefina would be the one to apologize. He would not bend today, if she wanted an argument he would oblige her in spades.

"Well, that much is appreciated, although words that do only lip service do no good to those to whose ears they trip upon. Words and thoughts are two different things. Much like actions. " She was angry, just as much as he. And she felt no need to back down. Yes, everything was judged, but it was how they functioned. Each society had its own rules, and if you could not abide by such, you were doomed. Besides, with the claiming ceremony, their first bedding would be 'witnessed'. She found it an antiquated ritual that shouldn't even apply to the Ruling Mother and consort, but it was yet another tradition they would not be able to get out of.

Sadly, the argument also affected the flavor of the meat, and Serefina found herself not as enthusiastic as she'd been last night over the fish. Instead, she ate only a few bites before setting it aside. Another thing her mother worried about, how her emotions always affected her appetite. But her mother wasn't there to worry anymore, was she. Standing up, she gave a glance to the fire and decided the need to explore some more. Giving Victory a sugar cube, she petted the horse before she headed back out without a word.

"I doubt even the goddess herself could open your eyes when you shut them so completely. My words trip upon your ears because you refuse to hear them. But of course, that's because your word is law and no point beyond your own is valid. I believe I'll go speak to the fish, they may give these concepts more adequate thought than you."

No, Vallios wasn't calling her stupid. He was calling her stubborn, mule-headed and ignorant. Angrily Vallios retrieved a long sturdy section of the branch that'd broken off from the tree and began hacking at it with the stone, working to hew out a spear. It was something he could do with his hands, something physical to relieve the anger bubbling in the pit of his stomach. If Serefina went wandering off he'd follow quickly, though he'd say no more.

They weren't the only humans in this forest after all, and Vallios didn't really like the idea of a few bandits coming upon a lone woman in the woods, no matter how formidable she was with a blade. Numbers, daggers, and fear were all good weapons for taking a maiden's virtue against her will.

She could feel her body tense as he spoke. Could he not acknowledge that she was a woman? That meant that some things were not fair to her senses. Just because he would not call her a whore did not mean that he would not consider her one. That had been all she'd been wishing. But no, he'd chosen to use it as an excuse to criticize who she was, and where she came from. How dare he?!

Practically glowing with her anger, she was grateful that she'd chosen to dress once more as a male and stomped off to the woods with her long knife for protection without heed for the consequences. Men. Why couldn't he be more like you, Father? He sees nothing but his own way of life as superior. Yet, he would tie himself to me and our House out of duty. Not love. Why must it be this way?

Caught up in her own thoughts, she paid no heed to whether he followed or in fact to her own passage which had begun to stray from the path previously taken. May hap he sees me only as a prize to be won. I don't want to question your judgement, Father. But I can not marry a man who can not learn as well as teach. No man is a mountain, able to stand alone, sustained for the breadth of their life. If he is to live in the city, he must realize how things are done there.

Her rambling thoughts quelled for the moment, she glanced around, and realized she was unsure of where she was. She also could not see the fire from here, which while distressing was a small comfort as he could not see her uncertainty. Maybe she should just keep walking. Eventually she'd have to come across people or civilization.

Vallios came quickly after, stalking her as one would an animal. He moved from tree to tree like a shadow, allowing her space yet keeping his watchful eye on her. As Vallios followed he observed, trying to figure out why her back was still up. It frustrated him, that she was so temperamental, that there was no calming her when she was like this. As Vallios moved he kept himself aware of his surroundings, anticipating a coming ambush.

One skirmish in a far off wood had been enough to teach Vallios that he was not the only one that could move like a specter through the bushes. However, it was rather amazing how being so stealthy could make one somewhat short sighted. There was an amusing possibility that any lurking, waiting bandits would overlook, and be overlooked by the prowling Vallios.

'One did not see what one did not want to see' was another one of her Father's favorite sayings, and Serefina felt it applied aptly in this case, although she would not apply it to herself. She did not see Vallios because of his skill as well as the fact she did not wish to see him. But it was of no matter. She was not ready to go back. Instead, she continued picking her way through the dirt and bramble. After all, since Vallios cared so much for animals, he would take care of Victory the way the animal deserved.

There was cold of course, but Serefina paid it no mind until it crept through the leather of her shoes. Luckily for her, there was a fire ahead, although she had enough of a sense of direction to know that Vallios' fire was behind her.

"Hallo!" she called out, making her voice as deep and husky as she could. It would likely be a farmer hunting for meat for his family, she assumed.

Vallios barely stopped himself from sighing at the situation. Yes, that's right walk straight up to a stranger's camp site in the middle of the woods. The urge to just leave, and leave utterly was suddenly nearly overwhelming. If she was so...Foolish to just wander blindly into danger was it worth risking his life for her? If she'd be so childish as to endanger herself out of spite, why would he play her games? He wouldn't; if she couldn't appreciate what he offered enough to forgive a few stray words it just wasn't worth his time.

Bitter from such thoughts Vallios turned silently and began to walk away, slowly putting distance between himself and Serefina. Yes, this was it. She was right; he had no place with her, and no reason to have one. A perverse sense of purpose filled Vallios as he moved away. However, Arzale's dying words echoed in his ears.

With every step Vallios' muscles resisted, tension burning up his legs as he fought with every fiber of his will to press onwards, to desert. "Do not look back; She has chosen her path. Obviously she doesn't feel she needs your assistance." That single thought kept on repeating in his heads, the words trying to drown out Arzale's request. The two thoughts struggled constantly in his head, fighting for control...

No answer responded to her call. So Serefina poked her head into the clearing, only to find a fire burning unattended. How very strange. There was no food nor signs of life other than the fire burning. It was only then that Serefina began to feel uneasy. Perhaps this was not the wisest of choices. But one always announced oneself unless you had foul intentions. No one had taught her otherwise. Not even her father. Fair play was all she knew. She trusted until she'd been proven wrong. Her sisters had merely taught her to distrust any amorous advances by males long before she'd even known Vallios.

Deciding to leave well enough alone, she moved around to the other side of the camp, and continued forward.

Goddess damn everything, he couldn't do this. Vallios turned and moved swiftly, working his way through the trees and along the path until he was 10 paces behind Serefina. Then, he spoke his voice a frustrated growl. The look in his eyes was nothing but disappointment. Vallios had tried to let this go, but he could not. This point needed to made, no matter what Serefina did in response.

"One disagreement justifies this recklessness?

She turned at the first word, she knew his voice well, despite how few words had actually passed between them. "Recklessness?" She glared at him, her fury tight within her chest. "I took a walk. What is so reckless about a walk. I even took a weapon to protect myself should I come across any animals. What have I done that is so reckless, Weapon Master? What have I done to anger you this time? Nothing I do pleases you, so why should I bother. Please, enlighten me as to what behavior you consider reckless. Maybe I should perform it more often so you will leave me be." Anger brought forth words she would never say when in her right state of mind. Grief combined with lust she didn't understand, and lack of comprehension of exactly why he was upset made for a volatile situation. A woman enraged was indeed an awesome sight to behold.

"The walk is not the issue; Approaching a stranger's camp site is. For all you know, this camp site could belong to a brigade of bandits! Not all people head out to the woods for a respite from civilization. Most choose places such as this to hide from the laws of man!"

For the first time Serefina would see Vallios at his full 6'4 height. The fury he radiated seemed to make him a towering bastion of anger, those eyes of his burning. Though, as his rage built the volume of his voice dropped, until his words were not but a harsh growl. If she'd thought his words hurtful before, they were nothing compared to now.

"You don't understand the truth of this world. All you know, you've learned from bookThere is absolutely no honor amongst thieves or murderers, and yet you put yourself in a place where you could be raped, abducted for ransom or otherwise victimized. How am I to protect you if you can barely keep your head on straight after a bit of negativity?"

Then, Vallios turned his back on her. He already knew she'd give no meaningful response, she'd just bluster and sling more hatred. Talking to her was pointless, completely and absolutely pointless because of her damn selective hearing. It was obvious that she was too trapped in her own emotions to see any kind of sense in his words, to think anything more than two seconds ahead of the current.

She honestly hadn't considered that prospect. They were still fairly close to civilization so the idea that bandits could be around hadn't occurred to her. And there was one skill she did have.

"I'm sorry."

The words were hard to get out, but she managed. She could admit when she was wrong. However, she was still upset about the whole situation that had started the fight, but she could admit where she was in the wrong. She took a deep breath, trying to maintain her calm. "When we go back, I shall see what I can do about having you released from your burden." Yet another thing she had managed to mess up. She was sheltered, she knew this. But she wasn't completely at fault. He's struck at a personal nerve. Not at a choice she'd made, but at who she identified herself by because she had been taught thus. He did not teach her different, he simply expected her to know. This was not a good way to have a relationship.

"You put dismissal in such a light fashion; However, there is no burden for me to be released from. I've chosen my path, and my place in this world."

Now that she'd apologized, Vallios would man up to his own mistakes. He slowly walked over and reached down, resting his hands on her shoulders. With a low sigh he tried to start his apology, looking into her eyes. It'd be hard to mend what had just transpired, but Vallios needed to try. After a moment or two he started two speak. Apologies were definitely not Vallios' forte.

"I'm sorry if I was...Rough with you. Diplomacy is not really my strongest point. I did not mean to offend, or imply anything against your virtue or persona."

In an attempt to make the apology more meaningful he pulled her into a tight embrace, hoping that his non-verbals would compensate for his rather lacking bit of speech craft. Hopefully Serefina wasn't expecting some eloquent and elaborate plea for forgiveness. Of course, if she had been she'd be waiting until her feet turned blue for the cold. This was what Vallios would, and could give to atone for his misdeeds.

"Apology accepted." Nothing about forgiveness. It was still too fresh of a wound. "Can we go back to town now?" The excitement of the trip had worn off by this point. A period of highs and lows that just drained her. Maybe she was simply too gentile to be Ruling Mother after all. Maybe Beatrix was right, and this was not her place. She was questioning herself too much. The more she thought about it, the truer it seemed.

"They'll be missing us by now if they haven't already." More than likely Stazi would be scouring the entire town for her, even though he would be the only one to realize that she'd run off since she'd had time to pack her bags, a thing that only he would notice. And that Victory had been taken.

In a genuine display of affection Vallios leaned down and caught her in a loving kiss, pressing his lips gently to hers. His hold about her was tender as he showed that rare, fleeting softer side. But as quickly as it came on it was gone, Vallios relinquishing his grip on her and then starting back towards camp. He'd match her pace, silently keeping beside her as they walked back to their own encampment, and back to Victory.

As they walked back Vallios thought of what they'd shared, and how comfortable, how right it had felt to sleep beside her. With a chuckle he decided to share that sentiment, in as light and playful a manner as possible. After all, they couldn't allow the heaviness of their argument to completely weight them down.

"I must say, you fit well in my arms." He said quietly.

The kiss just confused things further, as far as Serefina was concerned. After all, they had been arguing, and then he kissed her? She had no idea how to react. As such, she remained quiet on their walk back to the campsite until he spoke. She might have ignored the statement but her curiosity got the better of her.

"I don't understand." To her knowledge, man and woman were meant to 'fit' together. One woman and man fit together as well as the next, the way she understood it.

The kiss was meant to try and ease the tension, to show that what had transpired, at least to Vallios was just a bump in the road. Vallios knew enough about maintaining a relationship to understand that they would of course bicker; Right now, given all the stress between them their arguments would probably be of a much larger scope than the average couple. His comment was something said by the men of his tribe to convey that they enjoyed just having a particular woman around, regardless of what they were doing.

"Last night was the best I'd slept in awhile. We have our moments."

It was hard to explain why Vallios found himself so drawn to Serefina. He remembered that deep, deep down he'd felt a sort of anticipation in regards to the idea of being her prime consort. A long road lay ahead of them, but Vallios was determined to make it through. However, he would really need to learn to better handle Serefina. Perhaps he should seek out that Stazi, and find out what he could about getting her to relax more. Their had to be deeper dynamics to their relationship than him being a teacher and guard dog...That wasn't much of a foundation for anything lasting.

"Uhm..you're welcome?" She wasn't sure what to say in response to that. It felt like a compliment. But hadn't they just been arguing? But it seemed that he was trying to mend the breech between them, so Serefina could do no more than respond in kind. Well, he'd said she'd fit well into his arms so...

"I liked sleeping with you as well." That would work as well right. No possible way it could possibly be misconstrued. Not at all. "You have a firm body that's better than my feathered bed." She really didn't realize what she was saying, did she? But no matter, she figured everything was settled, and once they got back to the camp, went about trying to pull it together so they could leave.

"Perhaps we should make a point to enjoy such arrangements more frequently."

Vallios let her last statement slip; not really feeling like trying to skate across icicles. Vallios assisted her in closing up the camp, then he pulled Victory over to the stream and allowed the horse to have one last drink before he mounted, sitting far enough back on the steed's back to give Serefina room to climb up and settle as she had on the way in. Vallios reached out and patted Victory gently on the head, waiting patiently for Serefina to do whatever she needed to do before they left.

He pulled his cloak tighter around his shoulders, today was a much colder day than yesterday had been. It was a lazy sunday, and Vallios was glad that there would be no training today. He had much thinking to do, and perhaps a small bit of drinking. It'd been a while since he'd gotten to enjoy a pint or two of good ale. Of course, Serefina would probably put a stop to his occasional tavern visits once she found out. It definitely was not the proper place for the Weapons Master to spend any amount of time.

"Mhm..." Her tone was non committal. After all, she still hadn't proven she was capable as Ruling Mother, and if her aunt had her way, she never would. And that would mean that it would wrong to enjoy that type of comfort from each other. She finished up and put things away in her saddle bag before climbing back into the saddle. She enjoyed the warmth and comfort of his arms far too much. Maybe she should talk to Stazi about it. No, she'd likely simply be teased further.

Once they were back in the city, a runner caught sight of them and the excitement began. One person ran to tell her House and her aunt. While several more went to hunt down those who'd been out looking for them, which was probably the camp fire they'd come across. She kept her own peace for time being and once they got to the courtyard, make her getaway as quickly as possible while her aunt confronted Vallios on the inappropriateness of their little expedition.

"How could you? She's a child, barely able to be seen at a court function and you disgrace her by taking her into the forest overnight? Have you no shame you....you barbarian!"

Back
Top Bottom