Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

I just finished up Dragon Thief, sequel to Dragon Princess, by S. Andrew Swann. A fairly ripping adventure yarn featuring body switching as a crucial plot point. Over all a good experience in my breaks from more serious works.

Shatterday by Harlan Ellison, a short story collection.

The man was a complete ass in his personal life, but he did create some pretty fantastic short stories.

I'm currently obsessed with the Shadow Child Series as well as the Narnia Books.

You by Austin Grossman, an interesting view of computer games and those that make them

In a bit of Star Wars nostalgia I re-read the old X-Wing Rogue Squadron book. I think it was a good thing that I did because while the writing was a little bland and some of the issues just confusing, pilot getting trapped by their flight stick pinning them, I did pick up on things I had completely failed to when I was younger.

Recently started reading Women, Armies, and Warfare in Early Modern Europe, which is an interesting look at women in campaign societies and how they changed over time. Lots of interesting little tid bits that I did not know previously. The writing is straightforward and easily understood while it attempts to bridge the gap between gender studies and military history.

I was reading Haruki Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, but the library period expired and I had to return it halfway through. :c

Cat Who Walks Through Walls - Robert Heinlein. I'm still in the older-hardcore scifi grip.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
Recently started reading Women, Armies, and Warfare in Early Modern Europe, which is an interesting look at women in campaign societies and how they changed over time. Lots of interesting little tid bits that I did not know previously. The writing is straightforward and easily understood while it attempts to bridge the gap between gender studies and military history.

If you like that check out Antonia Fraser's Warrior Queens. Some great detail and I loved her portrayal of Bodicea, who always gets short listed IMO. Its a bit old but still good.

I'll have to look up the one you read, sounds good.

I recently finished the first two books in the Elminster series (Elminster: The Making of a Mage, and Elminster in Myth-Drannor), and I'm about half way through the third (The Temptation of Elminster), but I lost the book somewhere in my room. I'm not one to read more than one book at a time, so it's really bothering me. I'm thinking of just starting in on another book (probably the Alvin Maker series again. Can't read it enough) and start the lost book over when I find it.

Alright, so I've finally finished reading Patrons, Brokers & Clients in 17th Century France along with Women, Armies, and Warfare in Early Modern Europe. I enjoyed both immensely, even if at times I found the first one dense and difficult to understand I still feel that by reading them I have come out with a better understanding of the era. Also plenty of thoughts for my world building.

Which is why when I continue to work on finishing Urban Life in the Middle Ages I also return to one of the books that got me started on serious reading of the past and which I've sadly never actually finished. The three volume set The Economic History of Byzantium which is a collection of essays. I'm roughly half way through book I and had left off with an article about the price of silk and loom technologies.

A series of detective novels set in Ancient Rome. Written by Lindsey Davis, it follows the humorous tale of Marcus Didius Falco and his unraveling of crimes and mystery across the capital of the Romans, as well as forays into the many provinces and corners of the Empire. Currently on book 2, Shadows In Bronze, of 20.

"Personal", by Lee Child. Nothing out of the ordinary, but an easy read. I still can't believe Tom Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher, in the movie of the same name!

Recently read a couple of books by Victoria Aveyard-- Red Queen (the first book in what is to be a YA trilogy) and Queensong (a novella that goes along with aforementioned trilogy). And I also read a book compiling two novellae by a of couple authors who've become fast favorites (namely, Elizabeth Hunter and Grace Draven). The compilation book is titled 'Beneath A Waning Moon' and the stories within are--A Very Proper Monster by Elizabeth Hunter (delves back into her Elemental Vampire universe) and Gaslight Hades by Grace Draven (think Steampunk). I'm now reading the first book of a slew of books by Paula Brackston--The Witch's Daughter. It's a VERRRRRY dark book and quite good. It's also quite different. I'm enjoying it so far and look forward to reading the other books in the series. : )

A Lick of Frost by Laura K. Hamilton.

I started reading again for something to do in my free time. Not only did it inspire me to finish something that I really liked, it makes me want to write more. I am definitely going to go back to my habits when I was younger and go to the library at least twice a month.

sabcropped.jpg

Well it's been a while since I've posted in this, or anyone else. Since then I've read some classic science fiction short stories in Great Stories of Space Travel. It was an interesting collection of fiction of some of the greats when they were contemporary. The other fiction book I finished was the Wise Man's Fears which I found well written, but less engaging then the previous book. I'm still not sure why this series is so polarising as over all I'm a bit meh towards it. I probably will read the next one though as the writing is enjoyable.

On the non-fiction front I've read Indonesia: Archipelago of Fear which is a terrifying. I'm inclined to believe most of the details in the book, but even if most of them were false it would still be a horror story due to the cold reality presented within. A good documentary to pair this with would be watching The Act of Killing, which if you're in the US can be found on Netflix's instant services. It'll give you a good first hand account of the killings that occurred back in the 60's. The only flaw I find in the book itself is the writing is a little repetitive, which I guess I can forgive the author of as they are primarily a journalist who's publications are typically shorter then a full length book.

As to what I'm currently reading. Well I've been switching between The Spanish Holocaust: Inquisition and Extermination in Twentieth-Century Spain, Young Stalin, and Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier.

The first one is interesting as from where I am so far I've seen the rise of fascism in Spain and the beginning of the civil war they created. Young Stalin is a fascinating read, full of interesting ideas for TTRPG, and a host of information I just did not know. Space Chronicles I read when I don't want to depress myself and has been interesting. Mostly just a collection of articles and interviews it still gives good information and provides me with a deep since of awe for the cosmos and what we can do.

41T0TOR8v5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Got this for Christmas. It was shorter than I anticipated and ended up reading it in about 2 hours. XD It was very good and refreshing to hear a honest and respectful discussion over an uncomfortable, often polarizing and controversial topic.

Michael Fletcher's Beyond Redemption. Very good debut novel with one of the most unique & interesting magic systems I've ever encountered.

Back
Top Bottom