Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Dogged said:
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (one of my faves)

Read up to Children of the Mind just before Christmas. Great series!

Just finished Yead of the Flood by Margaret Atwood, starting on MaddAdam.

It's a shame Card is such a raging homophobe. I read most of the end books and even the first couple of Bean books when I was younger, as well as is sci-fi retelling of the book of mormom back in middle school.

Pretty much everything by Kelley Armstrong. <.<
Finished up her Darkest Powers trilogy and am now onto the Darkness Rising trilogy (both sets work together as a whole) which is the continuation of the YA Otherworld series. Soooo freakin' good!!!

I'm currently working my way through Red Knight by Miles Cameron, an Arthurian fantasy that's a bit gritty in presentation. So far I'm very much enjoying the writing and world building. It does suffer from a lack of a map and a list of characters as it has a number of people and locations to juggle.

In addition I'm reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I don't understand this books popularity, so far it's been boring to me as all the dark nature of it seems very teenish. The world building and characters are equally weak; the best thing I can say for the book is that it's an easy read.

I have however recently finished Viriconum, the novellas were the best part with some of the short stories not being all that entertaining. Though it was over all a very good experience, a lot of content that was gameable.

I'm in the middle of a bunch of books because I'm avoiding finishing them, I don't want them to end. :(

Finished up Darkest Powers Bonus Sets 1 and 2, Kat, Hunting Kat and Atoning all by Kelley Armstrong and that fully wraps up her Darkest Powers/Darkest Rising YA stuff. Now I'm onto The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black (about half way through it). So far, it's really good and once again...this is some inspiring stuff. *nods*

I'm currently reading the Lies of Locke Lamora. If you like medieval fantasy and the crime/gangster genre, then this book should definitely be on your reading list.

It is definitely a good book, as our the other two. I look forward to what comes out in the future with the Thorn of Camorr.

Finished The Empty Throne by Bernard Cornwell, getting back to Lincoln's Way about the expansion of American Presidential political power (yes, I am a history and political junkie)

Well I finished reading Understanding Islam in Indonesia, Politics and Diversity. It was an alright book, I enjoyed the historical parts of it far more then current events which were still interesting to learn but not as much so as the early history.

Started back up reading Annals of a Fortress, Twenty Two Centuries of Siege Warfare. Another good book, go through the development of siege wafare through the ages using a fictional french town as the basis. Starts with early romans up through Vauban. The glossary could be better though.

I am currently reading Pioneer Girl: The Annotated Autobiography. Find it great until now, its a autobiography of the real Laura Ingalls.
4611381574.png

Nihilistic_Impact said:
In addition I'm reading Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. I don't understand this books popularity, so far it's been boring to me as all the dark nature of it seems very teenish. The world building and characters are equally weak; the best thing I can say for the book is that it's an easy read.

I don't know why I got an ad for it in my copy of 'Feast for Crows' and I don't know why I bought it either. It really is trying way too hard to be grimdark and the chapters are so weirdly short. Like, he ends one chapter and starts the next one to discuss events that happen two seconds after. Like, what's the logic there?

Got bored of it, didn't even reach the halfway point.

The Blue Place, by Nicola Griffith. It's a decent detective fiction, maybe a bit neo-noir. It's one of the few books I've bothered to read. It's the first book in a trilogy, with the second book probably the strongest of the three. If you like stories with strong, female protagonists, then check this one out.

MellowYellow said:
I don't know why I got an ad for it in my copy of 'Feast for Crows' and I don't know why I bought it either. It really is trying way too hard to be grimdark and the chapters are so weirdly short. Like, he ends one chapter and starts the next one to discuss events that happen two seconds after. Like, what's the logic there?

Got bored of it, didn't even reach the halfway point.

Oddly enough the book actually turns around about half way through. The main character actually has some set backs, the author really hits their stride and the tryhard grimdark fades a touch. Still it has some absurdities like detonating a nuke by setting it in a fire and I can't get over his age; but the reveal that all the nobility are pawns to powerful sorcerers was a nice touch.

It never became good, just less bad though. So while I'd be interested to see if the author worked their way into something better with the sequels I'm not in any rush to find out.

Tonight at work I'm going to start Name of the Wind to find out if that's worth the hype around it too.

The restaurant at the end of the universe, book two of Douglas Adams' hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy series.

rather good book and series full of wit and dry humor... not to mention the awesome cynicism and sarcasm of Marvin the Paranoid android

Back
Top Bottom