Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

I recently finished The Least of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones. Very good book. If you liked Fight Club then you'll like this one; not in the tone or topic but in the style it's written. Like not a diary but the way you sometimes narrate or think things in your own head; very intimate with the narrator but also he's a very cooky and casual speaking guy.

I tried to read Story of the Eye by Georges Bataille because it was supposed to be this really smutty book but like it's lauded as this "pronographic artistry or smut as an art form or something like that. But it's fucking bullshit. This girl in it drops a bunch of eggs in the toilet and has a really intense orgasm from it. And people keep pissing every fucking where. Alternative title should have been "Where Are Your Diapers, You Incontinent Fools?" Maybe I just can't connect with the finer things in life? Or maybe the book was written too long ago. Some sap in the 1920's sneaking away with this book and reading it, he slaps the page and says to himself, "Goddamn! Eggs are really hot when they're dropped in the toilet! By jove!"

I'm currently halfway through Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld books. I started reading them a few years ago and loved them, so now I'm catching up on all the ones I missed. They are a series I recommend for anyone who likes a mystery novel with a dash of romance woven in. Plus the amount of detail in her books is incredible, and it's consistent through all of her work, even in other books.

After this I'm starting the Game of Thrones Series.

Don't get mad at me Nihilist, but I've stopped reading the Gardens of Moon. Perhaps I'll give it another shot later, but I think for now I'll reread the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Hell I might read it a couple of times, seeing how long The Winds of Winter is taking forever.

HerrFuckface said:
I'm currently reading Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne.It's an amazing book.I love the fact that King wrote Dolores' character to be tough-as-nails.I like the movie,too,but I wanted to read the book.Especially because I knew that everything would be able to be told in a more complete way (as movies have a limited amount of time in which to tell the story.) King's writing is so vivid and descriptive that I'm able to feel like I'm part of the story.Once I finish,this will only be the second book of his I've read,but I know it won't be the last!

I was reading through the thread, and have to agree with this. Dolores Claiborne is one of my favourite King novels, and I fell in love with Jennifer Jason Leigh's character in the movie - the perfect mix of toughness and vulnerability. Kathy Bates was brilliant as Dolores, too.

Just finished, 'The Hypnotist', a Swedish crime novel, which was so-so. I think a fair bit of the impact of the novel was lost in the translation to English.

Am currently reading, 'Left for Dead', a true story about an Australian Policewoman with two young children who was bashed by a junkie, left in a coma and not expected to survive her injuries; and her journey back to active duty two and a half years later. We had her, and her husband, come in to work last week for a motivational presentation, and all received a copy of the book.

I tend to flick between fiction and non-fiction. Unfortunately my brain's not wired to be able to stay immersed in multiple books at the same time.

Right now I'm under a deluge of new TTRPG materials to read, the D&D 5th edition Player's Handbook, Ryuutama and Call of Cthulhu 7th edition proofs.

I just finished reading this past week Thieve's Republic by Scott Lynch and the collection of short stories A Season in Carcosa.

I love me some Garth Nix.

I'm currently right in the middles of a series by Seanan McGuire about a girl who helps cryptid society function with humans. It's a little bit of romance and a lotta bit of action and I really like her writing style.

I'm a few pages into Dissonance.
And my boyfriend wants me to keep reading the second Dark Tower book, but I find them really hard to focus on. ._. I want to read Fire and Ash too bad. Zombies man~

Right now, Children of Dune. Dune is one of my favorite books but I've only gotten as far as Children where the sequels are concerned. I started from scratch and I'm reading the whole series.

Just read the Frank Herbert Dune books. One of the few series I'll re-read.

I recently finished Dark Force Rising, good to read star wars. Now working my way through Dragon Princess.

So last night I managed to read my way through All You Need Is Kill, better known state side as Edge of Tomorrow. I can't decide if I prefer the book or the movie as both have their strong points and flaws. They were interesting though and due to the power armour in the book I have to hold onto it like Starship Troopers and Armor.

Did also finish Dragon Princess which was light, fun and surprisingly deep in it's implications.

August has been a good month for finishing books for me.

The Maze Runner and soon as I'm finished this series I'll be moving onto Incarceron.

"Shotgun and Standover" - The history of the Painters and Dockers Union in Australia. I tend to flit between fiction and non-fiction.

I started reading Kameron Hurley's the Mirror Empire. I loved her bugpunk sci-fi trilogy God's War; so when I found out she was doing a fantasy set as well, I had to get it when it came out. It's a lovely series so far, a little hard to get into initially because it's so far from your standard Tolkien fantasy but well worth it.

It gives me ideas.

Hunter S. Thompson's Kingdom of Fear:

"Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio."

Seven Deadly Sins - My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong, by David Walsh

An Irish Journalist's account of his decade long attempt to prove that Lance Armstrong was a doper, and how after so many years of being marginalised and ostracised by the cycling community and fellow journalists, he was eventually vindicated. That type of dogged determination, and courage to stick to your principles, regardless of how much pressure is brought to bear, is what I find inspiring, and, to me, what real journalism is about. Definitely recommended.

I'm about half way through the Game of Thrones novel (A song of fire and ice book 1)

I don't get what the book readers are bitching about in regards to the show, they're honestly comparing a show on TV, to the pictures in their mind (their imagination) to how the world of Westeros, the Characters etc... all look, sound and act like. and honestly, I love both the book and the series, they're 2 tellings of the same story, and of course there are going to be differences, it would be boring if they made the show EXACTLY like the freaking books and I see it as 2 tellings of the same story.

Just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, I loved Handmaids Tale but never got through much of the rest of her works. It was interesting, I love her mix of science and social distortions, but not sure I will do the rest of the series.

Waiting for my copy of The Empty Throne in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories to become available at the library, I'm like 20th in line though so it may be awhile before I get it. *sigh*

I'm currently reading Dragons of the Highlored Skies by Margaret Weise and Tracy Hickman. It is book 2 in the Lost Chronicles trilogy. They are actually stories that takes place in between and during the original Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy. I personally love the Dragonlance setting and have recently become intrigued by other shared worlds. After this I'll be finishing up the trilogy with Dragons of the Hourglass Mage. Good stuff.

Currently reading Dark Defiles by Richard K. Morgan, also reading through Jirel of Joiry by C. L. Moore and the Great Mortality by John Kelly.

These are just the ones I'm actively reading.

Recently finished Dogs of God by James Reston Jr. and Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan.

Back
Top Bottom