Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty trilogy, ehr, qua... the four thingie... :p

Its by Anne Rice, check it out. Though it is not as well written as her other books.

Its nice, maybe a little excessive on the spanking, but I like it. Got a lot of inspiration from it.

Skylark of Space. Always wanted to read E.E's stuff, so after that I'm gonna try and get into Lensman.

This is after having to go through quite a deluge of Samuel Beckett.

I swear I have a love hate love relationship with Abercrombie. Almost finished Half A War, and will be trying Heroes for a second or third time on Monday.

As mentioned earlier, I'm currently reading Heroes, and like my past two attempts I'm not really into it. So far Heroes is proving to be my least favorite Abercrombie novel. I just hope Red Country proves up to snuff.

Reading Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber. I've got the entire chronicles in 2 books that I dug out of an uncle's basement when I was 14. During my "high fantasy" phase it provided a unique take on the tropes rather than the usual "quest" type that is so prevalent. Instantly what drew me in was the "everyman" tone to Corwin's opening, waking up in the hospital with no memories, yet just unbothered by it enough to playfully whip out some zingers and witty sarcasm, half talking and half threatening his way out of the doctors and nurses clutches. I don't think I have any real complaints about any of these books; originally, the number of siblings right off the bat is confusing but on this, the 4th or 5th read through, instantly pops into my head memories of who these people are along with their names upon first mention and description. There's hardly a time when I don't root for Corwin through the entire thing, even when he acts on anger or pride, it feels reasonable because we've been with him through all the BS and we're kinda angry about this crap too.

I need to finish reading the Amber books, think I'm on either book 3 or 4. It's been sitting for a while.

Currently I've been reading The Business of War: Military Enterprise and Military Revolution in Early Modern Europe, which is rather interesting. Like did you know that debt selling was happening during the early 1600s?

Recently read the 5th Fafhrd and Grey Mouser book Swords of Lhankmar. Probably the weakest book so far in the series due to it dropping the short story format. Another book I finished was Ancillary Justice which was a really good book and I look forward to reading the next one which I had immediately picked up after finishing it.

I definitely recommend finishing it, Nihil. It gets super cool with the chaos and metaphors for the void later on.

Kosmik_Khaos said:
Robert Jordans "The Wheel of Time" series, I'm on book eight of twelve.

Love this series to death too. My username when I first signed up here used to be Padan Fain, because of how he was in the early books, he was my favorite bad guy. I think I only got up to Book Five or Six. Several times I've tried to reread the entire series because I feel like it's one of those series that you need to start from the beginning in order to understand all the parts and history. But they're so large, reading each one right after the other, I feel oversaturated by the world and characters and usually need to take a break and do/read something else right around 5 or 6.

I will, it's on my shelf.

Wheel of Time is one of those series I don't think I'll ever read. I already have my fill of sprawling Epic with the Malazan books.

Couple more books I'm slowly reading.

Bacchus and Civic Order, the Culture of Drink in Early Modern Germany. Doctor's don't want widows to drink too much brandy less they spontaneously combust.
The Spanish Holocaust, Inquisition and Extermination in the Twentieth Century Spain. A rather depressing read about the victory of fascism.
Cities Under Siege, the New Military Urbanism. A critical look at how perception of warfare and security is changing our world and how colonialism is still alive and well and coming home.

Right now I'm reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker. It's about life for African-Americans during a post-slavery time period (I believe early 1900s) and racial interactions not only between African-Americans and European-Americans but between African-Americans, themselves, and a little on African-Americans and Africans as seen through Nettie's eyes. I have always loved the movie and can't stop myself from watching it whenever it's on television, but I was not prepared for how amazing the book is too. There is such a positive message underlying the story regarding acceptance, progression, understanding, and trying to find yourself in a world that might not want to see you.

I'm almost finished with the book. Next up is Sage's Eyes by V.C. Andrews. While I stick by the opinion that the ghost writers (family members?) for V.C. Andrews since her passing are no where near as interesting as the original author herself, there is a part of me that can't pass up a good, sordid (and sometimes badly written) story. When I want that, I pick up a new Andrews book and sometimes one of the older, classic ones.

Almost finished with the Inheritance Series (Eragon) now, by Christopher Paolini. Somewhere about half way in the fourth and final book.

MellowYellow said:
Skylark of Space. Always wanted to read E.E's stuff, so after that I'm gonna try and get into Lensman.

This is after having to go through quite a deluge of Samuel Beckett.

Oh. My. God. There are times when I feel like the onky persin alive that even knows Doc Smith existed! I reread Lensman, and Skylark, and Spacehounds of IPC abiut once a year. When you read Lensman, though, I'd recommend starting with book three (Galactic Patrol), reading to the end, and then going back and reading books 1 and 2. That way, you don't get all the big reveals of the History of Civilization dumped on you right at the start.

And... ah... sorry about the fanboying. I just love me some E. E. "Doc" Smith.

Anyway, I'm currently reading... everything, I think. Extreme Cosmos (nonfiction astronomy), Feng Shui Second Edition (RPG), and The Atrocity Archives are currently sitting on my nightstand, though.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. It's incredibly subtle, bleak, sad and beautiful all at once - a rare literary feat.

I recommend it highly, along with the film adaptation.

Aside from my usual comics, I'm normally reading biographies (especially Holocaust or history related) and true crime novels.

Currently, I'm reading The Missing Kenedy, about the unspoken and forgotten Kenedy sibling, Rosemary Kenedy. The biography is interesting but the author needed a better editor with more guidance.

Before this I read The Nazi Officer's Wife and But You Did Not Come Back - two exceptional Holocuast memoirs.

I've finished the Eragon series. Now I'm reading The Godling Chronicles.

Ways of Sensing: Understanding the Senses in Society

(Don't you love that part of the semester where you don't have time to read whole books for fun anymore?)

I'm very excited for the new Anita Blake book, though!

Just finished Dear Daughter (Elizabeth Little). Loved it. Very funny style for such a somber universe. The narrator reminded me of Flynn's Gone Girl voice. I tend to figure out how thrillers will turn out, here I didn't see it coming - for both books, actually.

'The Spirit: The Corpse Makers', a delightful series created for Will Eisner's centenary.

I love me some noir, and the Spirit is a character I've always wanted to read more of (The Miller movie was... uagh). And Francavilla's artwork is spectacular.

Meurtres pour rédemption by Karine Giébel. Translated in 9 languages unfortunately not English. Hard to explain. 1000 pages I read in a few hours. A mix of Nikita, Prison Break and OITNB. Just 100 times darker and more disturbing and better. Not for sensitive souls ;) It would be a great RP, and I posted a thread about that lol.

Sleepingskill, IT is such an intense read. Some length to it but some scenes stay with you.

Back
Top Bottom