Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The boss is back (Nightstalker/cheerio)

cheerio_cherry

Supernova
Suzanne Adams had made a point of being a good lawyer right out of law school and she was still just as good now. She was what most of her staff called distinguished, which she knew for them meant that she was old. She certainly felt it at times. At the age of 38 she felt old which rankled her at the best of times. She had been working hard since law school and had taken control of her own Law School at the age of 34.

Four years later she had a large company of her own, many workers who worked hard and she had the choice of cases. It was exactly what she had wanted since she left law school. What wasn't the way she had expected was her relationship with her ex-husband, which had seemed to fall apart.

Currently she was handing out cases, sending many of the men from the room within moments, spending a little longer on the new girls, glad when they too left as it left her with the newest man. She was pleased with his success and as she handed him the case she found herself smiling.

"See me after work."

Her voice was softly toned and accented, her brown eyes hidden beyond a loose twist of brown-black hair. She had sighed and tucked it back, leaving the room to get back to work, aware of just how tight her suit was and not much caring. She knew she looked good but she wasn't that vain.

Ross Monroe had applied himself well at Law School, his teachers all giving him glowing endorsements as he sought out work. His break came with her company hiring him, he thought it might have been only temporary and with it he knew he would have to work extra hard. At the age of 35 he was not getting any younger but he still kept fit and with his jet black hair and blue eyes he got a few looks but could not care for it. Never married and not wanting it for so many years the work environment was good but at the same time easy to pick up on troubles and ailments of others.

That morning near the end of the meeting as he took the case file, his eyes barely glanced at her buttocks as she walked away. His mind still reeling from the softly spoken words, something about them set off little tremors through his body; was he about to get fired later that day. Shrugging it off he walked casually out of the meeting room and soon back into his small office, setting the file down before beginning to write up his notes and studying any law content needed.

The day had passed in a flurry of reports and younger lawyers coming to her for a consult or help with their cases. She had not once bothered to think too much about her haste in asking Ross to see her after work. She was far too busy contending with the endless flow of work. She had been working on her own case as much as any other and although she was worried she may not win this one she had accepted that eventually she would need help, which had been why she had called on Ross, the man was smart and she found him less belligerant than the others.

She had taken him on when nobody else wanted to. Now she knew exactly why. The man made her feel safe somehow and she was not likely to give up on him. Several others had complained when he joined that he was her favourite. She had been cold to him for a while until they had given up the idea and let her get back to working well with him. Now she found herself hoping she hadn't worried the young man too much.

Work would be ending soon and she had sent out an order for food, glad to recieve it and settle it in the fridge, keeping it cool but not cold. She would share her food and the drinks she had in her mini-fridge with him when she needed it, when they both needed it.

Her day had ended earlier than most and she had finished her phonecall exactly on the time most left. She was glad to know that they wee gone and had removed her jacket, glad of her clean and smooth clothes, kicking her shoes off in a way most would consider unprofessional.

Ross worked hard through the day mainly on the case file, his notes going from pad to printed up and proofread almost a thousand times. Even went so far as to make himself scarce and close the conference room to practice a speech on it, wanting and hoping it all sounded perfect. It would need to be as he recalled some of the comments from when he first started. Rubbing the back of his neck as he heard his cell phone go off he sighed a little before realizing what time it was. How could the day have gone so quickly he mused as the report was put into the case file and placed under his arm. Picking up his almost completely cold coffee that still held its flavor he casually walked down the long carpeted hallway to her office. Tentatively his knuckles reached out to strike lightly with the door as he spoke. "You wished to see me."

Suzanne had looked up from her work with a smile, glad to see he had come, even if she had scared him. She hoped she hadn't. Despite everything she had been through she felt like he would be happy with the offer of second chair on her case, all she could do is hope he agreed.

"Come in."

Her voice remained soft and she spoke clearly, knowing she had a lot to do, not bothering to close the door as she knew they were the only people left. Instead she had chosen to offer him a drink, her own resting to one side of the paperwork before she spoke again, her food off to one side now.

"Would you like a drink?"

She kept her voice carefully steady. It wouldn't do to start things off badly, especially if they did work as first and second chair.

Ross's eyes briefly met hers as he returned the smile and tried to keep his nerves settled so that they would not show. It had been a long few months since he had seen this office as he entered and glanced around at some of the newer paintings. Her taste was exceptional in everything she owned he mused to himself as he caught the last of her words. Taking a few short breaths he walked across towards her desk placing his notes down as he spoke.

"Yes that would be nice and took the liberty of working some notes up for the case."

She had watched him with a slight smile, enjoying the look of pleasure on his face even asshe waited for an answer. He had seemed nervous and she had found it sweet even if he did seem to be fumbling for the right words. She had listened patiently and waited quietly for him to finish. She found she liked Ross, a lot.

"You seem nervous."

Her smirk was soft and she watched him carefully as she added.

"You shouldn't be Ross, the reason I chose you is so that we can work together on this case."

She felt her mind reel even as she tried for something else to say, finding it moments later.

"As one of the smartest in my new group of lawyers you represent a lot to me, the future of the firm, a potential partner in the firm... I imagine you can see why."

Ross noticed the smirk on her face as he listened to her words, the edge of the nerves dissipating as he realized all of the last few months had been for something better in this company. Going back over the last of her words a few times in his head quickly he took a few more deep breaths before sitting down. Trying to keep his cheeks from reddening he glanced past her towards the largish window as he spoke.

"Thank You, have been honored and grateful to work here."

She could tell he was nervous. Around her at least. She couldn't help but turn his face back to hers speaking softly. "Are you alright?" The drink settled to the side was within his reach but she chose not to show him that for fear he would instead choose to drink and not talk to her. "Ross, I may be your boss but I hoped that I was also something of a friend? Am I right?"

The question was posed quietly. "We've been glad to have you. I definately have." She could tell he was unsure of himself and added. "Perhaps you should talk to me about things beyond the firm... like your family? your wife? any problems there?" Her guess was the best she could do at a push.

"Plenty of people have relationships that fall apart, especially when they happen to be the boss."

Ross felt a combination of a light tingle down his spine along with few sparks throughout his body from the softest of touch to his face, eyes meeting and locking with hers listening intently to her words. Settling more into her office he smiled widely as he spoke. "Yes you are a friend, I live for work mostly. Still going to the gym three nights a week and once on the weekend." He paused for a few seconds before continuing. "Never married and no other problems for me. Are there any for you." The last words said almost in a whisper.

Suzanne had smiled softly. "No, nobody at home for me." She paused then sighed again. "Well, I did have..." She paused then sighing again added. "He wasn't exactly the most gentle of men... or the most well behaved. Now he seems determined to ruin me." A sadness hit her then but she refrained from saying anything deciding to concentrate on what she had with Ross at the moment. Friendship.

He seemed interested and she sighed again, almost to herself.

"Sometimes I wonder why I always pick the men who don't care for me.... there must be someone who does... somewhere."

Ross listened to her words, the pauses only making him know that so much was wrong. It was not just the academic side he had excelled at in Law School but his social awareness. The last two weeks the whispers had been going around, he wanted nothing to do with them as he lightly brought a hand up to her cheek, caressing it softly as he spoke. "I am really sorry to hear he is being that way. There is always someone out there for us. Now how can I cheer you up some tonight."

The softness of Ross' touch had softened her hurting pride a lot more and she found herself trembling under his fingers, leaning into him just a little. His words had softened her all the more towards the boy and she had felt herself give a soft sigh before she even knew that she had done it. He was so very gentle and sweet with her.

"Ross."

Her voice remained soft and she found herself thinking about her words then speaking.

"Just... be with me."

Ross felt her trembling as his fingers ever so lightly continued to caress her cheek moving slowly down to her shoulder. Listening to her words he smiled and nodded before glancing around to notice the drink, with a light chuckle to try to create a better mood he spoke. "I shall do that, should we have a drink and talk about the case or perhaps some food."

"I think we should leave the case for tonight."

Suzanne was smiling as she spoke, seeming relaxed and a little happier now that she had Ross there and that he knew she needed him there. Something in her called out for company and even as she moved to settle beside him she brought her glass with her and the food, seemingly confident that he wouldn't run if she shifted closer.

"I think we both deserve a little break, don't you?"

Ross heard her words and felt a little sigh of relief, at least for now his nerves could settle fully. The last thing he really needed was her stressing even more as he took in a light whiff of her perfume as she moved closer. Smiling he made sure there was room as he spoke.

"You might be working too much. When was the last time you had fun."

"I think that would be law school." Suzanne sighed, shrugging a little. "It's bad enough trying to get started in places like this and well, once you make it as a boss you have to keep the good work going. Most days I'm surprised I even get any sleep in." She spoke softly, serving out the food as she did so. Her eyes met his for a moment or two. "I'm surprised you don't know that already Ross, isn't there a rumour or tweo flying about?"

Ross listened to her words , the sighing he was not liking and he hoped he could change some of it. Reaching for one of the glasses he took a sip before topping them both up. His eyes locking with hers as he spoke. "Being a boss must as you admit add more pressure to an already large workload but we all must remember to try to have some fun. You should be sleeping more as well. " Pausing for several seconds he continued. "Never been one to pay attention to rumors, they are never correct."

"I'm glad someone has more sense than believing rumours." Suzanne spoke warmly, unable to stop herself gently touching his hand even as she sipped her wine, taking another slow bite of food to cover her thoughts before she spoke again, she found his concerned look touching and wondered why she was suddenly wanting more from him. Like a sign her liked her or even just a kiss... although he was most likely waiting for her to make a move.

"Well, now that I have you." She paused then looked at him, wondering what he made of that start but not flustering to cover it. "I'm sure I'll learn to relax."

Ross smiled warmly at her words, taking a few bites of his food in between glancing across towards her occasionally. The wine was nicely going down as well, his nerves almost completely gone now as he felt more at ease around her. With a light chuckle he placed his hand on her shoulder giving it a gentle squeeze as he spoke. "I do not intend to go anywhere tonight."

Suzanne found herself smiling slightly.

"Good."

She was slowly beginning to feel less stressed and somehow she found that any kind of contact with him, skin or clothing, tingled. She would normally have questioned it but decided against it, realising that it was good for her to just relax and trust someone new. Anyone new but especially Ross. Ross was a nice guy and he had yet to do anything to make her edgy.

Ross noticed the smile and was glad to see it. He could feel a slight change in the air and room mood so he knew she was feeling more relaxed. At least for tonight they could stay there, would he have enough courage to get her to go somewhere else another night, only time would tell on that as he took a sip of his wine. His fingers moved lightly down her arm before resting in between them.

The softness of Ross's touch drew a small shiver of pleasure from Suzanne and she was smiling shyly, seemingly happy. Her wine glass was empty too soon for her liking but she finished it all the same and returned her attention to her food. She was soon finished and tided her mess away into the nearby bin, watching Ross as she moved back into place, her hand lightly covering his, seemingly showing her trust and slight pleasure in his company.

Ross had felt the light shiver from her before continuing to eat his meal, finishing only a few seconds after her. Placing his empty container into the bin he refilled her glass but was not wanting her to get drunk or himself for that matter. That would not solve anything either as he took a sip. The room had fallen quiet as he glanced around it again, thoughts filling on the case for several minutes before shaking them off.

A while of silence had lead to Suzanne sipping at her drink, knowing her limits and glad that the wine bottle was empty now. It would mean the two didn't get drunk, which was only a good thing as far as she was concerned. She could tell he was trying not to think about the case or pressure her, which was why it was easy for her to move closer and rest her hand back over his once more, giving it a small squeeze. She had turned to speak to him, the words leaving her even as she did so, leaving her with a quiet gasp of breath. Her eyes met his and before she could think it through much more she had kissed him softly on the cheek, not pushing for anything more but not pulling back too far.

Back
Top Bottom