Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Change and Stasis (Candy_demon21 & Greeneyed23)

The way that the relief rolled over him, it looked as if it were a wave on the sea. His warm lips pressed against the back of her hand, her cheeks erupted into a warm glow. "Sir Knight, you flatter me so." She was having the hardest time keep her eyes locked on his, he was so handsome, she was shocked to have seen him take a like to her, as quickly as he had.

"My stomach twists in fright as to what my father may say to thee. He is a kind, gentle man, but I am his only daughter. Surly the way I feel about thee will be considered. Surly he must." She murmured, lifting a free hand, she smiled softly and pressed her finger tips to his cheek. His skin was soft beneath her touch, but at the same time, his stubble made her smile. Her eyes continued to flick down to his lips, oh how she wished to taste those lips, to know how they felt against her own.

He smiled his eyes fluttering at her touch and kissed her wrist lightly. "I shall always serve you and the kingdom my Princess. With all my heart and soul. You shall ever be my Queen." He managed to open his eyes with difficulty and focus on her face again and smiled. "And i shall win you. This i swear by my very soul."

The garden seemed to throb with life as he said this, the smells of the trees, flowers, and other plants all merging wonderfully and filling with them both with a light and healthy feeling that could only be described as love and life.

The kiss had been feather soft, like a gentle breeze caressing her skin. But that simple touch sent the princess reeling. Her body ignited with his touch, it was easy to see the crimson blush that painted her cheeks and the look that she gave her hopefully soon, husband to be.
"And I shall serve you sir Knight. You shall forever have my heart and my love, always." Hearing his omission that he would win her made her heart flutter.

"Than we should speak with my father, for I fear he grows tired of a his only daughter not being married. There had been many men seeking my hand in marriage, but I have said no to each. My heart knows who it desires.

Everything around them seemed to bloom with life, "We should go now fair knight. While my father still keeps his wits about him." The princess giggled softly, though collected herself, reminding herself that he was still a man of status.

Isaac smiled his eyes still gleaming as he let Elizabeth guide him out of the center of the garden to go see her father his hand firm and still in hers but his heart pounding against his ribs as his mind raced through the possibilities of just what he had set himself upon. He was happy but worried as he could not be sure that the king would accept a mere knight as the protector and husband of the woman destined to be the queen.

He was well aware that he would not be king nor would he even be allowed to sit on the throne, nor did he ever wish to, but he was worried that others would think that was what he was aiming for her. He knew that he would have trouble proving it but he did love her. With all he was.

So many thought buzzed about in her head. What would her father think, better yet, what would he say? She was the only heir that he had to the throne. The princess know that her husband, if it were Sir Issac, he would never be able to sit on the thrown with her, never be king. Only her child, which she prayed to the lord above that Sir Issac willing, would give her.
How would her people react to her chosen marriage to a knight.

They would think he was only marrying her for her crown, for her wealth and power. But she believed, that at the very bottom of her heart, that he was not. He rather had only eyes on her as a person, and eyes on her heart.

As they walked, Elizabeth's heart pounded wildly in her chest. She was so afraid her father would say no. Would he deny her the pleasure of being in love? Would he force her to marry a prince, someone who she did not love? She could only be true to her heart.

When they had arrived, her father was standing, speaking with his wife. Elizabeth halted for a moment, her breath catching her throat. 'I can not ask them, I can not...' she thought, her head spinning. The world around her was spinning, making her sick to her stomach. But with a quick shake of her head, she forced herself forward.

Stopping in front of her father, hand still locked within Issac's, she cleared her throat and bowed her head to her father, "Father, Mother, Sir Issac, well, father, mother...he, we..." How could she forget her words? Her father simply looked at her with a quirked eyebrow.

Isaac sensed her trouble and did what he would do for her anytime, anywhere, for any trouble. He took the risk himself. He moved forward and knelt before the royal couple. "i have asked the princess to wed me. I now ask your permission to marry her. I have fallen in love with her Your Majesties. I cannot pretend otherwise. I will do anything you ask to gain her hand. Anything. I beg your indulgence now. And your blessing."

The Queen stared at the knight while the King watched his daughter searching her face. After a long moment, during which Isaac did not stir even an eyelid, they looked at each other and though they did not speak a long conversation took place that only a couple in love and together for so many years could have understood as it seemed not even their facial expressions changed.

As one they looked down at the knight and smiled. "You shall have to accept many titles dear knight. But you are worthy of our daughter and we would welcome your marriage to her." Isaac shuddered happily staying knelt as the King looked at his daughter. "You are sure Elizabeth?" Now Isaac froze again.

The moment she began to struggle and her knight in shinning armor jumped and saved her from a fate worse than death, she remembered how to breath at that moment.
He had stepped in front of her, to take the blow, and she felt in the moment, her love affirmed for him.

For a long while, no one spoke. Perhaps she should have said something, or should have taken the looks that her parents were giving the knight. But when they turned to each other. For a long while, they simply watched each other, a conversation that only they could understand.

When her mother spoke, there was a sudden feeling of relief that washed over her. Though when her father spoke, it was Elizabeth that got to save him this time.
Stepping in front of Issac, she smiled up at her father.

"F-father, papa. I have never been more sure in my life. I am in love. Titles do not impress me, nor do the possibility of expending the kingdom, or the wealth matter to me. I want what you and mother have. A love that transpires through time itself, that...that I know is certain. With those suitors that come, they look at me like a prize, something that can easily be replaced. But with this, kind, heroic knight, I feel like I'm walking in a dream. One in which I do not wish to wake from. Bless this union, our union, for your only daughter, let her be happy and in love."

Isaac's heart thrilled at her words. He remained still shocked speechless and frozen at her words. He could not believe how his fate had changed. His master had been killed but he had found and fallen in love with the most amazing and beautiful woman he had ever seen and she loved him in return. he simply was unable to believe it at the moment and had to shake himself to ask. "Sire?" He had not heard a word the King had said after Elizabeth finished speaking.

The King chuckled knowing that look all too well. "We shall need to prepare of course but yes I bless your union. With all my heart. Now rise my son." Isaac gulped but obeyed looking only at Elizabeth still. "Isaac look at me."

The knight obeyed again but only with difficulty and it was clear he did not wish to look away from her and this also made her father smile. "You may have her to yourself soon. but for now you must come with me." Isaac nearly released the whimper that came to his throat and his eyes whipped right to Elizabeth. The Queen smiled and touched his hand. "Go my young friend. You have much to do before you can wed her."

Isaac nodded weakly looking at Elizabeth unable to tell her just how much this was tearing him apart despite the fact that neither had even known the other was alive this morning.

Upon hearing her father's reply, and the knowing smile he gave, the princess wanted to take her father into her arms and thank him, over and over again until he demanded she release him. But she simply looked back at Issac and smile a sweet smile. There was to be a wedding. Elizabeth was a little awe struck to realize that she was now, as it were, engaged.

Butterflies fluttered about her stomach and made her blush, was this all true? Was she truly going to be married? In her heart and her mind she knew that answer, even if it seemed surreal. Yes.

Elizabeth kept her eyes locked on her soon to be husband, only half listening to her father when he told him to tear his eyes away from her. Only a moment more father, she wanted to beg him, but knew better than to test the king.

He had to leave, if for a short while. She gave him a sad little smile and nodded before turning back to her mother, searching the older woman's face for any indication as to what was going to be happening next.

The king cleared his throat and nudged Isaac who flinched but fell into step with the king and walked along with him as ordered looking back at Elizabeth before they vanished into the castle.

"I beg your forgiveness for my presumption Sire but what exactly do I have to learn or do?"

The King sighed. "My boy you have to complete a number of tasks to satisfy the people of your right to wed my daughter. As for me you must learn the rules and nature of the political game. Elizabeth is a master of the game but she will need your help and I do not want you to resort to violence if one of her opponents should someday endanger her."

Seeing that Isaac did not fully understand he had the young man sit and explained. A ruler had to endure much. Hatred. Love. Disdain. Admiration. Insult. Praise. Everything in the human condition on both the positive and negative sides. Such things would befall Elizabeth constantly and already had quite often. Isaac would not only have to endure this as well but also smile through it all and that was the easy side of the game. The King wanted to be sure Isaac could handle it all before he let the wedding happen as he suspected there would be much trouble when she became queen.

Watching her father nudge her future husband along, Elizabeth looked back to her mother who smiled softly, "He will not harm him dear, he must speak to him." Taking a place at her daughters side, the queen took her daughter's hand, "You are our only child Elizabeth, you are the future of our kingdom.

"Your husband, if he passes the tests that your father will set forth, will need to understand the political aspect. He must train himself to understand that you will befall hardships, that people will threaten you. As a knight, he must protect and serve, but as your husband, he must not resort to violence when you are opposed. There are many things the young knight must learn and understand. Remember darling, you grew up understanding the rules and laws of royality, as well as understanding the game of politics. Your husband, as far as we are concerned, does not understand the game and must learn the basics. He must be for the people. Show them that, even if he is not of royal blood, that he is the best choice for the kingdom. "

Elizabeth understood all of this, but why put the boy through so much. He had just lost his master as well, did his father expect him to forget that and continue on with his life. Not mourn his passing.

"Your father just wants him to be a good man, both for you and that kingdom Elizabeth." The raven haired girl nodded, "I just hope that he can pass father's test."

Isaac had always been a quick learner. After the King's initial explanations and a bit of time to think it over Isaac began to ask questions and present scenarios. before they had been gone an hour he was already gaining a through grasp on the subject at hand and before the second he felt he was ready to begin the more advanced lessons the King and his advisers were offering.

"i will do anything to aid your daughter, the kingdom, and our way of life to continue my lord. I shall always endeavor to promote her health safety and happiness above my own and that of the kingdom and people as well. Though i will admit she will always come first. i cannot help that."

The King smiled understanding this completely. "i would expect nothing less."

"I'm sure that he will my dear. Surly this young knight will do everything in his power to win your hand. But, enough of this discussion my love you need to rest, just until your father calls you."
Elizabeth could hardly think about resting at a time like this, "Mother, if it is alright with thee, perhaps I may bathe?" The elder woman smiled at her daughter, "Of course, I shall have one prepared for you."

It took several minutes for the bath, but once finished, Elizabeth was lead to her bathing room. She was carefully stripped down and submerged herself into the warm water.

Isaac sat listening to his king and his advisers absorbing everything they had as he did every lesson. He listened and questioned and prepared himself to be the right man for Elizabeth. He was still a bit shocked that all of this was happening to him but he would not fight something so wonderful.

While Elizabeth was bathing, Isaac taking lessons, and her parents preparing their respective charges there was a meeting of the minds several floors below.

"We cannot allow this."

"If this peasant marries her she will be uncontrollable."

"We have to stop this."

"What are you suggesting?"

There was silence for a long moment then as one the nine of them spoke together. "We kill him. But it must look like either an accident or revenge."

They began to lay plans while above them the prospective newlyweds continued on unknowingly.

As Elizabeth bathed, she began to wonder, would her subject: or so to be subject truly accept his marriage? Perhaps they would protest, even riot! The young serving girl who stood their whilst the princess bathed, let out a soft, quiet giggle. This made the raven haired girl raise a eyebrow.
"Have I missed something?" Elizabeth murmured, nibbling at her bottom lip, "Mi'lady, you bathe to relax but from the strained expression you wear, I would think that relaxing is the farthest thing from your mind."

The young woman sat up and leaned forward, looking into the water, at her very reflection," You would be correct. I am a tempest of emotions. There is a wedding to be planned. My wedding. I fear the people will not approve of this union. News will spread of the wedding, many of my father's subjects will attend I am certain. I-I fear what they may think, what they shall say."

The server girl smiled softly, "You are a nervous bride, as many brides often are. Your subject love you already, certainly they will love your future husband, as well as any children you may sire Mi'lady." That comment had made Elizabeth turn bright pink, "D-do you t-think?"
The server girl nodded, beaming at the young princess, "I do believe so. The young knight may not have lain with a woman before, perhaps he is yours and you are his. Surly though, a man such as himself will not be able to take his hands off you."

Elizabeth was reeling, "But mi'lady, please continue to bathe. You have much to prepare for."

The King sat back. "Isaac you are an excellent student. We have already begun preparations for the wedding. Of course that will have to be after the mourning period. Until then our lessons will continue but U have no doubt you will surpass my hopes."

Isaac grinned. "My lord I would bring you the moon and the Diamond Crown of Athenia for Elizabeth."

The King laughed and took his future son-in-law back to the throne room and sat upon it's red surface. "Do you know the tale of the throne my son?"

Isaac stood at guard rest. "My lord the Red Throne was crafted by the creator of our great nation. Your own many times great grandmother Verha the Beautiful. When she found the springs under these hills she formed the city around the highest hill, over which we stand. The Red Throne was carved, by her own hand,from a huge red tree that was rooted directly below where it sits now. Your family has ruled from it and well for seven thousand years. There have been three usurpation attempts. One five thousand years ago that was brought down by a clever young Queen who I believe your daughter was named after? The second was much more successful as the true King had been abducted and supplanted by his madly jealous halfbrother. This was two thousand years ago.Your ancestor escaped and with the help of his loyal knights he stormed this very room and slew his own brother just there."

He pointed at the Golden Door, a solid gold device that had once held the rest of the tree that formed the throne the King now sat upon. The blood had destroyed the protectants and magic upon the door though the blood had not damaged the throne itself somehow.

Isaac spoke of all of this as well then turned back to his king. "Finally my lord there was the drama that occurred during your own ascension to the throne. Attacked on the way home from meeting your future wife. While this went on your sister Kello took the throne having murdered your parents. My master and yourself slaughtered your attackers and gathering your knights marched peacefully into this very room and took the throne back. You allowed the nobles to confirm your ascension to the crown and had your sister executed. My master himself beheaded her."

The King was impressed. "You know your history."

Isaac bowed. "My master was very strict when it came to education."

The King nodded thoughtfully. "I see. I want you to go to the North Tower. At the top is the Knowledge Repository of the Red Throne. You will go there and find the book, Gods and Crowns. You will bring it back here."

Isaac nodded. "Anything else my lord?"

"No. You may go."

Isaac bowed and went toward the North Tower. He arrived without trouble and went up to the guard. Unlike most of his countrymen Isaac had been well trained in the Old Tongue. He could tell the guard had been is as well. the Old Tongue was unique as to lie in it was possible but it was always clear. It seemed to lose the fire and vibrancy it always held otherwise when an untruth was told.

Isaac hooked the first two fingers of his right hand over the first two of his left. "Fin da daelo erutz. King Bernat ky ta."

The man studied Isaac for a long moment then nodded. "Ky ba Sir Isaac."

Isaac bowed and made his way inside. The tower was truly just a very tall and large library packed floor to crest of the tower with books, charts, maps, lines of nobility, royal laws and decrees, and other articles of the royal seat. The guard was a master warrior, one of twelve who were always at the door, the other eleven on watch in the comfortable room just across the hall. The Knights of the Red Tower as they were known were some of the most formidable warriors in the land and no one had ever broken through them. Even the three usurpers had not even tried as the twelve knights were men of the utmost loyalty to the Red throne itself never to a person and they would never shift in that, Isaac knew all of this as well recalling when the invitation had come to his master to join them. That had actually been less than a month ago.

He sighed. "Master you would have been the best Red Knight of all." He noticed the Red Knight's roster, carved into the bookshelves around him and was surprised to find that his master had indeed been so honored by being placed there. He touched the name and smiled. "Master...what would you say to see me now?"

He smiled at the thought and walked on. Gods and Crowns was the book of the lineage of the crown and the history of the Royal articles such as the Red Throne, the various crowns, the Sapphire Scepter, the Silver Mace, the Emerald Dagger, and the other articles that belonged solely to the current monarch. It also gave the duties of the current monarch and their spouse which he was sure was why he had been sent for it. he inspected the book for a long moment then carefully shut it and slid it into it's carrying box and slid it under his arm and bowing to his master's name he walked out saying farewell to the guard who nodded to him.

About halfway back to the throneroom Isaac was just about to push open a door when he stopped and immediately stepped back, He studied the door and gave a long sniff. He set the book down on a windowsill and without a pause drew his blades. The moment he had done so the doors at both ends of the hall burst open and masked men rushed at him. Laughing he leapt forward slicing into his foes so quickly they could not defend themselves. before their fellows could reach the battle all four were already dead and now they found themselves facing a laughing madman who skewered a severed head on the tip of a sword and with a howled curse in the Old Tongue hurled it at them as he lunged upon them. The battle was over in moments with three dead a fourth dying and the fifth disarmed and bound in his own armor. Isaac glared at the bodies as the eleven off duty Red knights and several guards arrived.

His explanation was quick and the two survivors backed him up though they called him mad and a devil the whole while. When asked he handed over his swords and the book and marched along amongst the guards and knights back to the throne-room.

The King saw all the men, including the dying attacker and his bound foe, and the blood all over Isaac and demanded an explanation. Isaac explained then let the guards and knights explain as well. The King stared in shock. these lunatics had attacked his newest knight and future son-n-law in his own halls. After listening to the ravings of the two survivors he judged Isaac innocent of wrong doing and the swords and book were returned to the knight.

"Well Isaac as they attacked you you shall determine their fate."

Isaac , who was cleaning himself off, shook his head. "Nay my lord. It is not my place. I was guarding your life not my own."

"Explain."

"They attacked me but i am but your Majesty's humble servant. As such they attacked you. I could not allow them to survive that."

The king smiled. Timothy himself had always said the precisely same thing. "very Well. Have them questioned to determine who sent them then they shall be hung. Also hang the bodies of their confederates so the people may know both the character of their soon to be prince and so they may know they are safe from such despicable creatures."

Isaac stepped aside as the men were led away then looked up at his King. "My Lord may I have a room in which to study the book you sent me for?"

"Why?"

"The book says it is never to leave the palace my Lord."

"It does?"

Isaac nodded and once sure he had removed the blood he pulled the book out and opened it to the very first page which commanded by the very blood of the royal family itself that indeed the book never be removed from the palace.

"very Well. you may use my reading room through the Black Door. Elizabeth will likely come to ensure your wellbeing when she hears of these events. For my part i am going to go honor my friend. Thank you Isaac. My apologies. Sir Isaac."

Isaac bowed. "My Lord you need never apologize to your servant."
The King stood and laid his hand on the young man's shoulder. "My young friend. I will tell you a secret of ruling. Being reminded you are just a man keeps one from becoming a tyrant It is the ruler who believes himself omnipotent that is the most dangerous."

Isaac nodded. "Of course my Lord. My condolences for your loss."

The king smiled. "Our loss Sir Isaac. Our loss." He patted the young man's powerful shoulder again then walked out of the throne room after which Isaac went through the Black door and found himself a chair and several lamps and began to study the book.

News had spread quickly, it had reached Elizabeth's ears moments after it had happened. The young woman had gone from fairly calm, to an tempest of emotions. "Was he hurt at all?" The raven haired princess demanded as her ladies in waiting dressed her in a billowing crimson gown. The older servant that stood in the princess' chamber shook her head, "I know not Mi'lady, Sir Issac was attacked and he slew the attackers. The guardsmen say that he went through the Black Door to read something your father had him collect at the Red Tower."

"Thank you," she murmured, waving her had for the servant to leave. The older woman bowed her head and took her leave, head bowed and backing out until her form slipped out from the heavy wooden door.

The moment that Elizabeth was dressed, she had started towards where her father was often found reading. The princess did not run, but did not walk either, she had to know that her husband-to-be was alright. The moment that she pushed passed the Black Door, Elizabeth gazed towards the flickering glow of the lamp light and sighed.

There, sitting quietly reading one of the many books from the Red Tower, was Issac. From a distance,he looked unharmed, but he could have been injured where his armor as weakest, "Thank the Gods you are unharmed My Lord," Elizabeth cooed from across the room, her body visibly shaking with her concern.

He looked up as she came in. "I am but a knight milady. Not a Lord. I have not yet received any titles. And how could i have been harmed? There was no threat."

He was completely calm and relaxed and also seemed confused as to her upset. "Did I mention that my master was killed by cowardly attacks from behind and still managed to kill seven of them before he fell. The biggest issue that claimed him was that when we first struck we were too busy protecting the girls. And he did not have his battle armor on. I always wear mine."

He studied her thoughtfully. "Are you alright?"

His comment made her smile, "You are but a knight Issac, but your will be my lord as soon as wed. Titles of nobility are simply titles, you concern yourself too much these silly things." Her demeanor had seemed to change in an instant, but it was all just a very well scripted ruse. She was scared, frightened even, regardless of his soothing words.

"I am-was...worried for you. I worried that the gods would take you away from me on the eve of our wedding." She murmured, nibbling at her bottom lip shyly, "Do forgive me Sir, my emotions did get the best of me."

He smiled. "Well my love I am going nowhere. And remember we cannot wed for at least a week. The mourning period. Then I become Isaac of Green Mountain like my master before me." He stretched a foot out and pulled a heavy chair around near the table. "Please come sit with me?"

He sighed putting a bookmark into place. "And how could I be your lord? I merely wish to be your husband. Nothing else matters to me."

He watched her calmly his grey eyes unreadable but also open to her.

"I must remember this Sir," she smiled shyly, feeling so exposed beneath those stormy eyes of his, "A week is nothing compared to the happiness that it will bring I am sure." She murmured, nervously gnawing at her bottom lip, one of her few bad habits.
"Yes, thank you." Making her way gracefully towards him, the princess sank down and looked towards the book, "Gods and Crowns, certainly so light reading my father has given you."

His comment made the princess blush, "Thank you Sir Knight, you are far too kind." Why was it now that she was having a problem speaking with him? Perhaps it was because she was in such close proximity, or perhaps it was the way he watched her. Regardless, something about him made her stomach twist and turn into tight little knots.

He smiled and reached out taking her hands. "I have to learn to be the right knight for you. And the correct husband." He kissed her hands smiling. "And how to keep from killing the fools who dare insult or question you. Either way they will quickly lean it is unwise to object to your will."

His eyes flashed at her happily. "I could never be too kind to you my Princess." He sat back and sighed. "So tell me what troubles your mind and heart? You seem concerned about something."

The smile that he gave made her heart flutter beneath her ribs,gods he was handsome! "You will do fine my sweet, my mother worried much the same thing. You must realize that there will always be those who oppose me, those who say terrible things, but they are words."Raising her free hand, she pressed it against this cheek, "I am certain with you around, no one will forget, and if they do, they are fools."

His eyes glittered with happiness and it instantly made her blush, "T-thank you sir knight." When he set back and asked, the trouble that had been bubbling up in her belly, "I feel as if something is amiss, I worry about our wedding. Whether my father's subject will approve of your marriage. And if...if we'll sire children. I am the king's only child, I could not bear to think that our reign would end because I could not have an heir for my father's throne. I worry about many things my love, none of which can be answered."

He smiled. "As long as i have your parent's blessing our children will serve as the new rulers without any trouble. The difficulty will be the nobles. They will try to fight our marriage simply because they will want their own names in power. As always. So they will try to influence you and intimidate me. I wish them luck."

His eyes flashed with the challenge as if daring anyone to try to use him against her.

"So tell me something Elizabeth. Do you know how to fight?"

He did not explain why he asked but he had asked his own questions of the surviving attackers and though they did not have the names of those who had sent him he did know that there was a group of people trying to take the power of the throne when Bernat died thinking they would be able to control and manipulate Elizabeth.

There was that beautiful smile of his again, that same smile that had made the princess' heart flutter beneath her ribs, "My father and mother seem quite taken with you already, however it is not that which I worry about, what I fear is if we shall conceive children. That is what I fear." It was a legitimate fear, she was the only child,and if there was no heir to her throne, then one would be brought it, someone not from her noble bloodline.

However, when he mentioned threatening him, she giggled gently, "They would be wise to not anger thee. It has proven unwise to many a foe I assume." A silence hung in the air around them for a moment before he asked her a question she didn't know how to respond to.

"I um, well, my father, despite my mother's wishes, taught me a little bit about how to handle a dagger and how to loose a few arrow, but nothing as trained as your Sir Knight. If you are asking if I can break away from a kidnapper, than the answer is yes. I may appear to be harmless, but I'm not without my claws." Reaching up and pulling her dress down just enough to show her ample cleavage, a silvery glittering hilt could be seen nestled between her breasts, "Father gave it to me, said it was to stay by my side and be a tool only when I needed it most."

Now it was her turn to ask him a question, "Pray-tell , why do you ask such a question my lord? Have I need to learn much more than I know about fighting?"

Back
Top Bottom