Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Change and Stasis (Candy_demon21 & Greeneyed23)

Greeneyed23

Pulsar
In terms of great rulers there some powerful names in the history books. Catherine the Great, Queen Victoria, Kings David and Solomon, George Washington, Chaka Zulu, and a host of others from every land, faith, and belief. But one of the most loved names even amongst those mighty peers was King Bernat ruler of the Red Throne in Whyle, the center of the Rhoneland a nation that stretched for more than ten thousand miles from sea to sea and pole to pole. Bernat had ruled for more than sixty years but like his forebears he likely still had at least that many years in him before he went to join them.

Health, happiness, and long live were marks of his rule not only for his family but for his people. Science and medicine were making great leaps, the economy was booming and all things within the land were blossoming. The army and navy were the best equipped and best trained alive but they had not been in actual battle since before Bernat married his beloved queen.

The knights that served as his right arm both in the military and as protectors of the people in the land rode about seemingly at random always seeming to appear where they were most needed when they were most needed. One of this knights, Sir Timothy of the Green Mountain, and his squire Isaac, had chanced upon a group of ruffians attempting to rape a trio of young ladies. Sir Timothy had ridden in and Isaac had scooped up the ladies carrying them off while Timothy handled the ruffians.

Isaac had been reassuring the women when he heard Sit Timothy shout. "ISAAC TO ME!!! I NEED YO-" Then it cut off into a gurgle. Isaac had ridden down and seeing his master fallen had swept into his murderers in a rage slaying them then sobbing as he took the great knight into his arms. The ladies had gotten help and testified for Isaac who was made a knight and given his master's possessions to return to his home in the capitol and explain to the King, who had been a dear friend of Timothy's, about what had happened.

The newly made Sir Isaac was nervous but obeyed and set off toward the capitol missing his master so very much. He had hoped to share this day with him. Now he was gone...

Word of mouth had gone before Isaac so Bernat was well aware of the death of his friend. His heart broken he grieved as best he could while he waited for Isaac to arrive.

"Father? Father?" A disembodied voice echoed out through the great halls of Red Thorne Castle in Whyle. A young woman, probably no older than twenty, looked about as if she were lost. The poised young woman that everyone knew was no longer present, rather, a frantic little girl stood in her place. "Father?" She called again, heart racing wildly behind her ribcage. Word had spread of a Knight's death faster than fire spread through dry terrain. Elizabeth, the king's only daughter, had heard whispers from the maids, and even from the guards that stood watch, that Sir Timothy has been slain protecting his king's citizens. The moment that word had been confirmed that Sir Timothy had actually fallen, the princess had started her frantic search for her father.
Trotting down one of the many long halls, the raven hair girl stopped when she reached the throne room. Looking in, the woman's heart sank as she gazed at her father. He had always been a man of such pride and strength. Watching him from across the room, shoulders slummed over and eyes downcast, the princess knew that her father was trying to keep himself together. "Father?" She cooed softly, making the elderly man look up. He smiled toward his daughter, but the smile did not hold its warmth that Elizabeth had grown so accustom to. Behind his blue eyes, she could see the sadness overtaking him. Sir Timothy had been one of her father's closest friends, someone who her father had often spoke of so highly "Elizabeth,"he called to her, making the princess rush across the room in a sprint.

Elizabeth threw her arms around her father's neck, burying her face into the collar of his tunic. "I heard of what happened to Sir Timothy,"she murmured into his body, feeling his body go rigid with the mention of the man's name. "Ah. I assumed you would. Yes, Timothy was murdered today, but his death was not in vain. He did save those he was trying to protect and his murder was avenged by a young squire. I have sent for the young man to tell me more detail of his death." The princess nibbled at her bottom lip, a nervous habit she had just recently developed.

For a long while the two stood in silence, until a soft, defeated sigh escaped the elder man's parted lips. Reaching up, he took a hold of his daughter's shoulders and held her out at arm's length. "You are such a good girl," he murmured, giving another saddened smile as he looked over the fair skinned woman, with stark hazel eyes that she had acquired from her mother, and the mess of raven hair that was neatly braided. Elizabeth smiled softly, "I was worried about you father. Call it being good, or simply call it love, which ever one you fancy." The man smiled again, this time, some of the sadness disappearing from his old features. "The knight will be here shortly, everyone will be gathering here to hear him speak. You should make yourself ready Elizabeth." Stepping back from her father, the young woman bowed her head and turned sharply on her heels.

As she walked, Elizabeth felt as if she were walking to a dirge. So somber. Usually the castle was alive with life, and people laughed. But today, it seemed as if all light hearted jokes and laughter was gone, even from the children of servants. A dark cloud hung over Red Thorne castle with this saddening news. Turning down hall after all, the princess reached her charmer, already there were ladies waiting for her, "We heard about his Majesty, Highness. We offer our most sincere condolences Princess. Sir Timothy was close to your father."The princess nodded, "He was." No one spoke for a long while, until Elizabeth sighed softly, "I need to ready myself for the courts, everyone is gather to hear the story of sir Timothy's death and to welcome the new Knight." The three woman, all dressed in monotone browns and grays, nodded and set to work on the princess.

An hour or so past by, and when the princess emerged from her chambers, she wore a form fitted sky blue dress, which hung off the young woman's slender shoulders. The sleeves clung to her slender arms and the ends of the sleeves were cut into a sharp point. The point had a small piece of string sown into it, which wrapped around the princess's long middle finger. From about Elizabeth's navel, the fabric opened up into a large V. Where the blue fabric ended, white fabric began. The white frabic had been beautiful embroidered with ornate silver designs. Her raven hair hung loosely around her in large curled tendrils, that reached well down to the small of her back. Towards the crown of her head, part of the hair was pulled back and braided. Placed gently atop her head, the princess wore a small Silver and moonstone tiara. The only other piece of jewelry the princess had allowed was a small black choker that hung from her neck. Down the endless halls again she went, until reaching the throne room once more.

Before it had been quiet, had only been her and her father, now, people had gathered. Stepping through the threshold,all murmuring had ceased. Elizabeth watched the crowd part, all bowing their heads as she walked. She nodded towards several, and offered a gentle smile towards others. Her mother and father were already seated, they too dressed in their best. Making her way up the three small steps, the Princess took her seat to the left side of her father. Folding her hands gently in her lap, she waited too for the knight's arrival.

Isaac arrived to a city of grievers. He gulped as everyone made way for him recognizing the horse and armor as well as the travois that carried the dead knight. Isaac rode slowly until he reached the palace. He called servants for everything else but he picked up the body himself and carried it inside to the Red Throne room.

Isaac was unusually taller a full head taller than his master and was built like a bull. His shoulder length golden hair and steel grey eyes were matched with a handsome face that had lost the last of his baby fat years ago. His body was hard with powerful but also quick muscle from years of hard and constant use. Timothy had taught the man to read, write, do his numbers, and a number of other things. Isaac was more than ready to be a knight and he knew it. He just wished his master was not dead and looking at that kind and wise old face broke his young heart.

Arriving in the throne room he carried the body to the dais and gently lay before the king then knelt and bowed to his monarch silently letting the king take his time with the sight while the servants laid Sir Timothy's things around his body. Isaac fought back tears as he bowed to the king wishing such a thing had never been.

He was in a simple black tunic that barely contained his powerful arms just as his legs bulged out the pants the boots heavy but comfortable his steps having been quite silent. He had gloves but those were with his things in the chest that other servants placed behind him. This also held his weapons and armor but he did not stir or speak knowing that though he had been named a knight it was up to the king to confirm and allow this. For now Isaac had no jewelry but if the king decided Isaac had indeed done all he could to protect his master then Timothy's belongings would pass to him. He did not truly want them but Sir Timothy's wife was long since dead and they had had no children. Isaac could not restrain the tears at the thought of his Master's wife. She had been an exceptional woman who had treated Isaac like her own son which the orphan had and would always be grateful for. To be taken by the plague just before they found ways to fight it. It was too much.

Isaac remembered something his Master had taught him and spoke. "My lord King. I pledge myself, my life, and my honor to your service. Should you accept me as your knight I will die in the furtherance of your needs and wants. I live to serve you my lord." Despite his position the words were clear and quite sincere. It was up to the king to decide this man's fate now. Isaac waited silently not sure what was to happen but waiting as taught. Silently and respectfully. One does not rush a king.

All went silent the moment the Knight entered the throne room. Soft sobs could be heard from some of the ladies, while the men of the court shook their heads. From where she sat, Elizabeth could see the top of the knight's head. 'That poor man,' the princess thought sadly, feeling her heart ache, 'to have to be the one to bring your friends body forward and keep your head down.' When the body was placed in front of them, the royals looked down to the body, the queen was already in tears and the king attempting to hold back his own. Elizabeth could feel her eyes grow moist with tears, but she refused, she had to stay strong for her father.

The Knight was dressed in a simple black tunic that hugged every taunt muscle, the princess didn't know which to stare at, the knight or the body of a fallen friend. Shame on her, such a somber day, only to have her mind wander. She scolded herself inwardly, her eyes locked on Sir Timothy. When the knight spoke, Elizabeth shot a glance over to her father, who looked to her and sighed, "Lift your heard Sir knight, you grieve with the rest of us. Today of all days is not the day to bow your head." For a long while Elizabeth sat there silently, "Sir Knight, I know not of your name. But I do accept your pledge, if you were trained and brought up by my dear friend Timothy, than you are welcome here in Red Thorne castle."

"Please,"Elizabeth cooed, a soft smile but saddened smile turning up the corners of her full mouth, "Stand. You are among friends and should not bow on bended knee. We all grieve, you most of all." The king shot his daughter a look and nodded, "She is right, please, stand. I do ask that you tell me how my dear friend fell. Of the many things I have not witnessed in this world, this is the one thing that I wish to know." The princess had begun to gnaw at her bottom lip again anxiously. Her father had accepted the knights title, had even accepted his service, but how would he react to the tragic news?

"Thank you my lord." Isaac stood and bowed to the king then turned and bowed to Elizabeth. "And thank you my lady." He cleared his throat and then stood at guard's rest his hands clasped behind his back as Timothy had taught him to do when not at full attention and speaking to royals and nobles.

"My lord my master and I were riding back towards home, here of course, when we heard shouts and cries for help and the laughter of vulgar men. We dropped our heavier things taking only our spears and other weapons as we put on our helms and rode forth. We saw the three young ladies..." he turned his head and pointed out them amongst the crowd alogn with the nobleman who had accepted them. "Were being attacked by several ruffians. Fourteen in all my lord. My master and i rode in slaying three to reach the women who I took upon my horse and at my master's order I took them to safety just over a hill. Just as I let the last of them down I heard my master call for help. I gave all speed but he had been slain before I could see the blow that felled him. I rode in and slew the remaining cowards. I then gathered my master's form and put him on his horse and the ladies on their own that had not run far after the ladies were set upon and took them to this good man's home."

The nobleman and the ladies stepped forward and knelt then stood a bit to the side of Isaac and spoke. "Aye my lord. I was just preparing my own caravan to come here myself when this brave young man brought these poor girls in along with Sir Timothy who I knew of old. I admit I presumed my lord and named him a knight upon hearing the tale. I cannot excuse my actions."

The three young ladies, little more than girls really cried out. "Nay my lord you were but honest and fair." realizing what they were saying they blushed but stood their ground. The eldest, not possibly older than fourteen, stepped forward. "My king my sisters and I were riding only a few miles from our aunt's house to our own when we were set upon. Such is not odd in our land as this man has done well in protecting us and the roads about his holdings." The nobleman blushed at these words. "But the beasts that attacked us were not of our land. They spoke with odd accents were understand not and with strange words. They had all but taken our virtue when this good knight and his brave master rode to our rescue. I watched from the hill as he rode back into battle and alone slew seven men." She beamed over at Isaac who was gazing only at Sir Timothy still unable to accept the loss of the man.

Elizabeth's mother Sarai broke in now. "What are your names?" The eldest curtsied followed by her sisters.
"Illeria Your Majesty." "Katherine Your Majesty." "Grace Your Majesty." "And your father and mother?"
"Lord and Lady Arthur and Susan Heath of Gilead Your Majesty."
"Why Susan is my cousin. Are you truly her daughters?"
"We are majesty. She has spoken of you and promised we would meet you someday. While we are honored I regret that the reason is so tragic." Illeria looked at the despondent knight again and bit her lip much like her second cousin then looked at the Queen. "Majesty might ask a boon?"
"Of course my child."
"This knight rescued myself and my sisters from a horrible fate as I am sure we would have been killed once the beasts had had their way with us. And in so doing he lost a dear friend and mentor. Could my sisters and i present our thanks as we were taught by our mother?"

The Queen considered for along moment then touched her husband's hand taking it in her's squeezing gently and whispered. "They will express our loss my love." Then she nodded. "Do so and with love my dears." Illeria and her sisters curtsied again then moved toward Isaac who did not look up from Timothy's corpse. He started however when as one, with sweet pure voices the three began to sing. Triplets they were Illeria born first then followed minutes later by Katherine and Grace, and like their mother they had inherited beautiful singing voices.

Their song was filled with grief and mourning, speaking the words of the Old Tongues that were filled with power and meaning. They sang of loss, sacrifice and bravery. They sang for Timothy. They sang for the long years of toil he had given to this land he loved so much. For the lives he had touched. For the difference he made. Then they sang of Isaac who watched them tears flowing unnoticed down his face as for the first time he felt peace since his master's death. They sang of his bravery, and his sacrifice and their eternal debt to him. They snag of their hope for their lives and his. And most of all they sang of their gratitude. Unending gratitude for what he had done and what he had lost. They finished by promising their love, life, and aid to him and the memory for all time. They looked at him their own cheeks, and those of many of many in the audience including the King and Queen wet with tears.

Isaac studied the singers in awe. He could never have expressed himself like that. And he was unsure how to thank them appropriately. He looked down at his master then smiled. "Fi dan dealo Artisans. May your voices remain sweet and pure until the sun sets in the north and the stars cease to shine. I thankee kindly so I do." It was Timothy's favorite blessing and thank you and it would suit this moment Isaac thought. he bowed to each of them and smiled wiping away his tears finally feeling that his master had been truly laid to peaceful rest with the honor he so deserved.

When Issac had bowed, the young woman had felt her cheeks grow red with a crimson blush. Foolish, she harped, foolish that she should blush at such a common gesture. When the knight had cleared his throat and began to speak, Elizabeth leaned back in her seat and listening to the noble thing the young man had done. He had risked everything for three young girls. Woman of her court no less. No one had seen what had caused the fatal blow to Timothy, all that was certain was that the noble Knight lay cold at their feet.

When the nobleman stepped forth, followed by three young girls, Elizabeth felt her heart jump into her throat. To be so young and to have seen the horrors that they had seen only hours ago, she could not imagine a fate worst than death. "No need for apologizes, you were right to assume what he is. He is a knight, a knight for Red Throne." The king murmured softly, before falling silent when the girls began. As they spoke, the young woman had kept track of how many men had been killed. Three, to reach the girls, seven more after Sir Timothy had been slain, hadn't Sir Issac said there was a total of fourteen? Where had the other four ruffian's gone? Perhaps they had run like the cowards they were after seeing such a mighty Knight kill seven of their armed brethren. She supposed that the few who had escaped would cause little trouble, they were only four men. With Issac protecting Red Throne, everyone truly was safe. The princess snapped back to reality the moment her mother began to speak.

Looking towards the girls, she couldn't help but look them over. So these were her cousins, well second cousins. Sad that they should meet under such circumstances. When the eldest, or so Elizabeth had presumed she was, asked a boon, she looked towards her parents. When it had been granted, the Raven haired princess watched the girls step forward. A sad song began to float through the filled halls. It was a truly beautiful melody, the words, even if she had no idea what they meant, invoked such feelings of sadness and loss. As the song wore on, Elizabeth found herself in tears. If she were to speculate what her cousins sang of, she would have assmed their song was about loss, and despair, and towards the end, an undying gratitude that they could never repay.

When the song had ended, all fell silent. From the crowd, many people sniffled and wiped the tears from their cheeks. Elizabeth had been one of them. Look up towards her father and mother, she was thankful that they cried as well. "Sir Timothy's passing has taken its toll on all who stand here today,"the king addressed the people, "Words can not express how much he will be missed. Sir Knight, I wished this had been while our dear friend still lived, but I dub thee a Knight. With this title comes many things, most of all, it comes with knowing that you are the shield that defends the innocent"he motioned towards the young ladies, "and the sword that wards of enemies. Sir Timothy would have been proud and will be honored with a warrior's funeral, as he died as such." The king fell silent and held back his tears the best he could.

Isaac bowed again then saluted by pressing his fist over his heart. "My lord I know that was the masters fondest wish. to serve you and be buried with honor by his wife. I thank you. I brought the weapons of the seven he slew to be buried with him. I also ask that the weapons of the other seven be buried with him as well. As I was not a knight then the kills are technically his."

The captain of the guard, who had trained with Timothy sputtered. "My good man you mean Timothy and you slew seven men each?" Isaac blinked but nodded bowing to the older man. "Of course sir. Is this odd? Surely it is well known that Sir Timothy was the finest swordsman in the kingdom- With the exception of our Lord King of course." He turned to look at the king quickly. Bernat's skill with a blade were indeed legendary but seven men apiece was startling. The captain shook his head amazed as the Queen asked. "Sir?"

The nobleman looked first at Isaac for the answer then realizing she was speaking to him blushed. "Yes Majesty?"
"Did you investigate the scene?"
"Yes Majesty."
"Were there signs of any others?"
"No Majesty?"
"Were you able to determine the cause of Sir Timothy's death?"
"The only blood at the scene was that of the ruffians Majesty but Sir Timothy does have a number of stab wounds in his back and all of the weapons are bloody. I cannot say for certain which killed him. But as he was not given the honor of a straight on blow i can say for certain he was killed by a coward Majesty."
Isaac snarled. "Aye. None but a coward would strike at three helpless girls then give Sir Timothy of Green Mountain such a pathetic battle."

This did draw whispers. Pathetic? The Queen's lovely eyebrows glittered as she answered the burning question. "What do you mean Sir Isaac?"
Isaac twitched as this was the first time he had been addressed so but answered quickly. "My lady Sir timothy and i have fought in many battles. Just last month we fought at the base of Mt. Tamicles with a rogue group of guards. This gentleman was there." he gestured at the captain who blinked. "that was you?"

Isaac blushed. "Well i was there sir. Sir Timothy routed them." The captain turned to his king. "My lord these men.." he gestured at the corpse and the new knight who was looking very sheepish, "These men helped me put down the rebellion of some one hundred men i told you about. I thought they were a full legion...what are you?" Isaac blushed even harder stammering.

The truth was that the guard rebellion had taken nothing. he and Timothy had cheated in fact by starting a rockslide that killed most of the force then just executed the rest who had been injured or trapped by the slide and this he told them all. The captain was still marveling when the Queen clapped. "Now enough. it's time to begin the funeral ceremonies for our fallen friend. I-" She froze as Isaac knelt and removed Timothy's cape. She started to speak but the King stopped her. Isaac lay it over Timothy's body then gently caressed the old weathered face and spoke quietly. "Farewell master. I ride in your name and the name of your wife. Thank you." he kissed the old man's brow then covered him with the cape which had been sewn by Timothy's wife when he was a young knight and bore the crest of the kingdom and an image of the Green Mountain from which Timothy hailed. Isaac stepped back letting things run their course looking lost now.

Even the princes was taken aback. He had just said seven! The two of them had killed a total of seven men...each. This, by no means was an easy feat, but the two had done it, and the way that Issac spoke, it sounded as if it were child's play. The late Sir Timothy and this Sir Issac surly were deadly with a sword, to say that was an huge understatement. Oh to had been able to gaze at them both while they spared, to see their strength and agility; it would be as if they were dancing. As a young girl, Elizabeth had watched her father fight with a sword, not fight but spare. He was fast and agile, regardless of his massive size. Looking over the knight again, she wondered if he could move just as fast, even with all the heavy armor she knew he wore. "It is quite shocking to hear word that a two men defeated a band of ruffians. But it is a comfort no less."The princess remarked, before falling silent, keeping her gaze locked on Issac once more.

The captain followed up with much the same question, and Issac retorted. She should not have been surprised in the slightest, Sir Timothy was strong, master swordsmen, it was no wonder that the man standing before them all was the man's greatest prodigy.

Flicking her eyes down towards the paling corpse, the princess, and much the court, shoot their heads. Stabbed from behind, not even given the chance to defend. All is fair in love and war had never been a truer quote than now, but the circumstances still did not make their pain any less. 'Timothy, great warrior that you were, killed by someone who would rather strike from behind. I wish you peace.' Most the conversation between the nobleman and her mother had gone unheard, the princess only heard when Issac's black magic voice broke her through the haze of thought.

The next story was even more fantastical and even harder to believe than the last. The Knight who stood before the princess was the sort of hero that bards wrote lymrics and hymn about. To have a hero within their fair kingdom seem almost surreal. Looking over Issac once more, Elizabeth sighed. He had to have been more than human, perhaps he had magic? The notion was silly, of course he didn't! He was human and was taught the sword, simple!

When the sound of her mother's clap silenced all chatter, the girl jumped and turned her attention back to the woman. But Issac moved forward in front of the corpse, silencing her mother for a short while. The words he murmured were so sweet but yet had held the sharp edge of sadness that had been plunged into so many heart today. When his final good byes were said, a look came over the man's handsome features that made the princess tilt her head and ponder what would this knight do now that his master was gone. "Make ready Sir Timothy, he shall be buried next to his wife with the swords of those who he has slain." The king called out, several guards coming forth to take away the body and prepare him.

Isaac bowed to the royals and gathered his things lifting his trunk with ease and carrying it out of the throne room before anyone could stop him. When the captain of the guard was asked the answer to his destination came back quickly. "He is going to inspect his new home. He was Sir Timothy's sole heir."

Isaac had indeed gone to his new home. He had been all but adopted by Sir Timothy and his wife when he first became a squire and the knight had formalized this by naming Isaac his heir and teaching him all he knew. Isaac had been beyond grateful and had pledged to serve his master faithfully and obediently until Timothy no longer wanted the younger man around. Timothy had laughed at this assuring Isaac that day would never come. And it never had.

Isaac now stood in the master bedroom of the house. Timothy had built this house for his wife himself and the skill and craftsmanship spoke of his deep love and affection for her. Isaac smiled as he studied the hand carved bed then left the room going to his own which was much more sparse but still comfortable. Here he put his chest and laid out his things. He then went to the washroom and poured himself a bath and cleansed himself. Timothy had been quite odd in that he demanded cleanliness and took frequent baths a habit which Isaac, who had been born on the banks of a river and had been swimming even before he could walk and talk, had been happy to comply with.

Now, freshly washed, he went out to the market to see what he could do about obtaining a simple dinner. He had never attended any ceremonial dinners, though he had been trained in all the proper etiquette, but it had just never happened and he had long ago dismissed the notion.

To see the young knight disappear through the crowd so quickly and leave with little more than a polite bow, to say that Elizabeth was not disheartened was an understatement. Her full bottom lip turned up into a small, childish pout. To have only spoken to him, she thought. Surly the knight did not have prior engagements than his master's funeral. The young woman had not taken notice that her father was watching. A soft laugh, even if it was not as light hearted as usual.
"I presume the saddened pout you give to the courts is due to Sir Issac leaving so quickly, or am I by some change growing old?"The raven haired princess nodded her head and looked up to her father. "You, by no means father, are old. And yes, this look is due to the young knight leaving as soon as he did."
"Daughter you must remember, he has lost someone close to him, we all have. The young Knight must acclimate to his new home. Forgive him this one time, I am sure it was no out of rude intent." The princess nodded with a soft sigh. "Perhaps I could ask a boon of you father?" The elder man raised a bushy eyebrow quizzically.
"Go on Elizabeth."
Taking in a deep breath and reaching out, taking her father's hand, she looked up to him with that pleading look that often got her what she desired, the king knew the face well. "Father, perhaps in honor of Sir Timothy's passing, and to honor our newest knight, perhaps we could have a banquet. To honor them both. Tis a bit somber, but the young knight deserves at the very least for the courts to honor him?"
The king thought for a long while, before he raised his daughter's hand to his lips and laid upon her ivory skin, a feather soft kiss.
"We will do this for him, and our fallen friend."The princess wanted to jump up from her seat and dance around like a buffoon, but, after years of learning the proper way to be a lady, she held her excitement in check.

"Send a mes-"the princess stood slowly and shook her head kindly at her father, "Perhaps, might I send a lady in waiting with the message to the young knight?" The king laughed softly, "If you wish it so Elizabeth. Perhaps her fancy this young knight." Elizabeth froze and gazed wide eyed at her father, "Do not be foolish father, yes the young knight is handsome but I know not his mannerisms nor do I know his character. Being a knight shows that he is noble and strong yes, but is his heart kind and gentle?" This all of course was to hide the fact that, yes the princess did fancy the young man. Even if it was his looks thus far.

"Very well daughter, you may send a lady to the Sir Issac's home and give word of the banquet we will have in his honor." The princess bowed her head to her father, "Thank you," With those few words said, she pulled her hand from her father's gentle grasp and stared slowly towards the corridor which lead to her chambers. The moment she was well out of sight and ear shot of the nobles and their ladies, she rushed to her chambers and clambered in.

"Highness!"Several of the young woman yelped, having been startled, "Why ever are you in such a rush?" One of the young woman asked, an curious expression painted over her features. Walking forward and taking the young woman's hand, Elizabeth beamed, "I need you to deliver a message for me. Go to Sir Timothy's dwelling, which now belongs to Sir Issac. Tell Sir Issac that a banquet shall be held in his honor, and for the loss of our dear friend. You must hurry." The young woman, for the longest time, simply stood there, perplexed.
With a disgruntled sigh, Elizabeth pointed towards the door and ushered the young woman out.

"Yes, o-of course highness." The young woman took off out of the princess's chamber. She walked briskly past the nobles, keeping her head down. The moment she was free of the castle, the young woman rushed through the streets until she reached Sir Timothy's dwelling. Wrapping her small fist against the door, the young woman dropped her hands and waited patiently for the young knight to answer.

Sir Isaac. He shook his head. it was as if everyone knew him. The people in the market had been startled that a knight was out shopping for himself but Isaac of course had no squire and he disliked the idea of servants so he always did his own shopping as Sir Timothy had, or had had Isaac do.

He had been happy to exchange tales of produce with the sellers, ideas of animal husbandry with the meat sellers, and the juice merchants were delighted to learn that he often used some of their techniques for his master who had taken to drinking the non-fermented juice of fruits and vegetables in his later years to aid in his digestion and health so Isaac had as well and had come to love it. He abhorred wine and spirits so while he polite and quite charming to the wine merchants he did not buy from them though they were also rather impressed with the young knight.

Isaac was returning home with all of his purchases, several boxes laid out on a small hand cart he pushed before him when the young lady in waiting arrived at his door. He cocked his head and spoke. "How can I help you?" making the poor girl jump and squeak in fright. "Sir Isaac?"
"Yes...."
"My lady Princess Elizabeth wishes to honor your fallen master and yourself with a banquet this evening."
Isaac blinked then slowly nodded remembering his lessons. "i would honored to attend. Thank your lady for me and tell her I am grateful for such a gracious invitation."

She nodded then looked in his boxes and noticed several wineskins. "Sir Isaac...is now a good time to...indulge?"

He arched an eyebrow not understanding then saw her eyes flicker to the wineskins and smiled. "oh no. Not wine. Non-fermented juices."

Seeing her puzzlement he opened one which smelled a touch tangy but also very sweet. "Apple juice. Would care for some?" She hesitated. "You have a cup while I put these away then I shall get my swords and I shall escort you back to the palace."

She blushed but nodded as Isaac opened the doors and lead her to the kitchen while he carried most of the boxes in refusing to let her help. He set the boxes down and then got her a clean cup and filled it with the juice. "Enjoy."

While he put the juices and meats in the coolbox fed by the small spring under the house then put the other things away she sipped the juice and found it delicious. She still drank neatly and daintily but also with fervor and by the time he returned in a clean outer tunic with his swords in place she had drained the cup.

She chattered about how wonderful it was as he walked with her to the palace where they walked right by the same guard who had taken these same swords earlier. The guard ignored them though he did partly yearn for the swords which were entirely unique.

Sir Timothy had been a man of exceptional gifts and abilities, designing and building his own house, crafting his own weapons and armor as well as repairing them, and also reading and writing heavily and he had found a kindred spirit in Isaac who could do all of that and more , so encouraged by his master. These swords had been Isaac's gift from Timothy. Isaac had forged them himself but instead of going to Timothy as first believed they had been presented to Isaac as his personal weapons. The one on his left hip was solid black with silver ornamentation, mostly the wolf's head as that had been the crest of Sir Timothy's family. Even the black blade, thin almost to strangeness and edged only on one side, was etched with wolves. It was an exceptionally tough sword though and could and had cut through even armor. Timothy called it a katana from books he had read. The one on Isaac's right hip, also a katana, was solid white with black ornamentation, also wolves, and had matching etchings on the blade. Timothy had called them Ying and Yang and Isaac adored these swords and though they were battle ready weapons and could do much damage he rarely used them as they his prized possessions, tending to fall back on his training katanas which he still had Timothy having encouraged his student to use the style that suited him and combine the aspects of the others not force himself into a single style.

Now back in the throne armed as a knight should be he bowed to the royals, thanking them for their kind invitation and accepting with gratitude while the lady in waiting had scurried off to inform her lady once they had reached the palace proper.

The moment the lady in waiting left, Elizabeth began to nervously pace about her room like a teen. Her ladies watched her with small giggles, "Perhaps we should ask the princess what ails her?"One of the young woman asked, keeping her emerald eyes locked on her Lady. "By all means Aggy, ask her." The young girl names Aggy, with her blond hair swept back into a long braid, stepped forward. "Milady, if I may be so bold to interrupt upon your contemplation, but what ails you princes? Surly asking the knight has not set this mood upon you, has it?"
The princess had been so lost in her own fretting that when the young maid's disembodied voice broke her through, the princess stopped abruptly, "Hm?" She gave them a look that could only be described as 'deer in the head lights'.
"I asked who inspired this anxious mood Highness." Elizabeth set to gnawing at her bottom lip nervously, "Anxious? Don't be silly girls, I am a princess and this is not the first time I have asked a man to a banquet...not entirely." The two other girls giggled, this made Aggy look over her shoulder and shoot them both icy glares, they silenced quickly.
"Highness," the blond murmured, stepping forward, a gentle smile turning up the corners of her mouth, "You are anxious. Sir Issac seems to be kind and would be foolish to deny an invitation. You should not fret princess." The raven haired princess looked up, her heart pounding in her ears, she didn't know what to say to the young woman, "T-thank you." She stammered, before she fell silent, raising a shaky hand up to her lips, she traced her full bottom lip, lost again in thought.

When the young lady in waiting who Elizabeth had sent made her way into the princess' chamber, the girl rushed over to her and took her by the shoulder, "Word from Sir Issac?"She questioned, the poor maid blinked, wide eyed up at her lady. "He said he would be honored and that he is grateful for such a gracious invitation from you Milady." With these words, the princess pulled away from the young girl and began to dance about her chamber, a clear crimson blush coloring her ivory cheeks. "Oh thank you! Wait! Is here he?" The young woman nodded, "Where might I receive him?"
"We parted ways at the throne room Milady, he waits for you there." This was all the provocation the Lady Elizabeth needed before she left her chamber. Keeping her hands folded in front of her, the princess made her way towards the throne room, where only moments ago she had met this Knights hours ago. The moment she stepped into the throne room, where her mother and father sat, and Issac stood. "Ah~ Elizabeth, you've finally come to welcome our honored guest." Her mother commented, making the crimson blush color her cheeks darker.

Walking gracefully up to the Knight, she smiled kindly, "I thank you for accepting my invitation Sir Issac, it filled me with such joy. I do thank you for escorting my lady back to me." She began to nervously nibble at her bottom lip, her heart thundering beneath her chest.

Isaac bowed to Elizabeth formally. "I am most grateful to have been allowed back My Lady Thank You. You are most kind." He smiled at her absently pushing his hair back along his head behind his ears.

"I would have brought a gift but I was unsure what to get and I felt making you wait even longer was quite rude and wrong." He smiled at them. "Shall we go eat?"

He moved forward and bowed to the Queen. "My lady might I escort you to the dining hall?" She smiled and nodded. As the guest of honor he had the right to do this but he also could not escort Elizabeth as she may have invited hi but she was not legally his hostess as she did not rule the hall.

He did compliment the still very lovely and attractive Queen many times and helped her sit taking his place across from the seat designated for Elizabeth. The Queen began searching for her daughter to tell her what had said.

He had complimented her on the palace, the gardens, the decor, the dining hall itself, her loveliness, her dress, and many other things but his words came back to Elizabeth repeatedly. He was clearly quite taken with her.

The simple gesture, so common, seemed to make the girl's heart thunder in her chest, and for a long moment, forget how to breath. "You are quite welcome Sir Issac. You and your master deserve to be honored in the highest way. The kingdom should know of your greatness, and should honor the memory of your late father, even if you were not of blood." Her cheeks had again flushed with crimson blush. She was acting like a love struck teen, denying that she hadn't taken by the young man would have been a lie to herself.

The mention of gifts made her princess giggle, "Your presences enough is a gift." She admitted shyly, nibbling at her own admission. Watching the knight walk up to her mother and offer to escort her, she smiled. She knew the rules, and as silly as it was, the flames of jealousy licked at her skin. But pushing the childish feeling aside, she took her father's arm and walked towards the dinning hall. "You seemed to be quite taken with the young knight Elizabeth. Perhaps you've finally found someone you fancy?" This made the princess cast her gaze down towards the stone floor beneath them for a moment, her anxious gnawing began again. "P-perhaps,"she murmured, feeling her cheeks grow my feverish with her admission.
"He certainly is a fine man," her father admitted, making Elizabeth looked up at him for a brief moment only to turn her attention back towards anything else. When they had reached the dinning hall, the princess took her seat across from Sir Issac. She would glance up at him from time to time, a small smile turning up the corners of her mouth in a shy gesture. Many times Issac would speak to her mother, but each time, he would turn his full attention back to the princess, making the young woman blush. She tried many times in vain to keep herself from fidgeting in her seat.
The entirety of dinner, King Bertan watched the two speak, elated to see his daughter so giddy.

Suitors were not common, this was by no means because the princess was not lovely. She was in fact quite stunning. Many of her features had come from her mother, the cute nose, her high cheek bones and her pale, full lips. But her father had attributed her fiery spirit and kindness as well as her raven hair. To see the young woman so take by the knight, to say that the king was not pleased would be a lie.

Isaac was surprised to find that not only was all of this easy but eh rather enjoyed it. He loved speaking with the King and Queen who were simply wonderful and so kind. But the true pleasure came from speaking to the Princess. His eyes were rarely off her face and eyes his heart and mind drawing up all sorts of ideas and desires and no matter how he tried to convince himself it was impossible the more he found the fact undeniable. He wanted her. Not as some gilly or other such thing but as his woman. His wife. His lady.

Such things were new to Isaac but he found he rather liked it as well. Her laughter and her smile seemed to make even the loss of his mentor less painful. He could have happily drowned in her eyes and laughter and unknowingly did so several times, especially when others were talking. He would go entirely silent, usually forgetting even to eat, and simply get lost in her eyes not reacting to his name being said even several times until the King began to nudge him.

He would always apologize profusely and sincerely for these moments but they also just seemed to happen again within minutes of the first. The others at the table sensed this and rather liked it but it would depend on many things. Namely if the Princess herself was interested in the young knight. The men were not so sure. Their wives on the other hand knew the look on her face well and began to smile and laugh at each other slyly whenever the knight would get lost in Elizabeth. No one was more delighted than her mother though and she would always smile a bit more every time the King had to nudge Isaac out of his trance.

Was he as taken with her as she was with him? This was one of those unspoken questions that the princess wanted so desperately to ask. Perhaps he was. Everytime they had spoken, not once had he broken eye contact with her, he was honestly interested in what she had to say. The princess had been conjuring up her own desires and wants. A beautiful wedding, children, a home together, in love. So many things races through her mind. Many times the princess found herself trying to come up with someone inspiration or lovely to say, but each time she tried, her cheeks would flush and she would giggle softly and excuse herself.

Many times, while he watched her, he would grow completely silent and still, and many times she asked if he was not hungry. It was more frequent for her father to call his name several times, only to finally have to nudge him to his senses. Each time she giggled softly. From around her, she noted the small laughs or the hint of a smile turning up the other woman's faces. Did they knew her feelings? Of course they did. She was sure that when her mother stared at her, the first thought in her head was 'Oh to be young again.'

Elizabeth was more than happy to finish her dinner and simply sit there, lost in Issac's eyes. If it were only the two of them, she thought. What things could he show her, and she him.

Isaac's feelings were clear and obviously powerful giving everyone around them a clear picture of his infatuation with the lovely princess. He did not even try to hide it. He had never seen, heard of, or even imagined a woman of such indescribable beauty and his heart was already no longer his.

When the meal ended he whimpered in the back of his throat but went to the Queen bowing to her and once again escorting her to the garden where they would be having the life celebration and that of his own knighthood.

He took his place in the seat of honor beside the shield that had once been Timothy's and for now would be his until he chose and earned his own symbol's and imagery.

His feelings were becoming more evident as dinner wore on, but the questions now, would he act on them. Would they court, would be her's? So many questions buzzed about her head, like a nest of angry hornet. Elizabeth had lost her appetite by now, and simply wanted to get close to the knight. And the moment dinner did end, Elizabeth pulled herself from her seat, gracefully still, but in quite the rush.

Sauntering over to her father, she smiled and took his arm, having him lead her to the gardens were the Knight would be officially knighted, in front of all to see. "You seem rather infatuated with the young man, is this true." Elizabeth nodded shyly, her cheeks turning bright red, "Are my feelings for Sir Issac so evident that my own father can see them?" The king laughed and nodded, "Yes, it's quite clear.

When the reached the garden's, the princess took her appointed seat, her eyes locked on the knight once more.

Isaac grinned and remembered what his master's wife had once told him. After about fifteen minutes he stood and moved to the Princess's chair and bowed to her. "Milady would you do me the great honor of showing me your gardens? I have only seen a single image more lovely than they and it is your own face."

He waited actually holding his breath praying that she would say yes. He believed she would. He hoped she would. But he could not suppress a doubt. It was small yes but it did exist. What was he? A new knight. She was a beautiful princess. A goddess in human form. He wanted her. He needed her. But he had to do this correctly.

The fifteen minutes that had already passed by seemed to have crept by like molasses in the summer heat, painfully so. The princess had found herself nearly fall asleep, as terrible that was, but she was growing very sleepy. That was until the sound of movement made her look up and blink. When her eyes adjusted to the figure, her eyes went wide and her heart again began to flutter beneath her breast.

"I-Yes, of course." Elizabeth smiled warmly, overjoyed having the young knight ask such a question. But when he complimented her beauty, she, for that brief moment, she forgot the task of breathing. Standing slowly, she extending her hand, expecting him to extend his arm to her.

Had she not made her feeling for the knight apparent enough for him. Perhaps she should mention his bravery, or his strength. This courting thing was difficult, and now that the princess had had found someone that was strong, handsome, and was to be named a Knight, the princess found herself forgetting all of her manners.

Isaac watched the princess with shining eyes unaware of where they were really going and not caring even in the slightest as long as he was with her. Once out of sight and hearing of the others he took a deep breath. "Princess might i beg your indulgence and ask you a rather personal question?"

He awaited her answer as calmly as possible holding his breath as he watched her eyes and face hoping for a positive answer.

The servants and guards were all shunting the other persons in the garden away, they also wanted peace and safety as well as a positive answer to the knight's question. They all adored their princess and they were all well aware of how deeply she had fallen for the new knight who quite clearly loved her back just as fiercely and they were hoping that he would sweep her off her feet into happiness.

The moment that they were out of ear shot and out of sight, the sound of the knight's voice made the princess freeze for a moment. Stopping, she flicked her gaze to the knight's handsome face, and smiled gently, "Of course Sir Knight, I would be delighted to answer you question." Her hear thundered beneath her ribs. What could he possible want to know?

It has not gone unnoticed that the guard and servants kept the others away from where the two stood, now in silence. Perhaps they too wanted to know the outcome to this unspoken question. Or perhaps they did not know what they were doing. They must have known.
"I will answer your question in the best of my abilities. Forgive any stumbling I have prior Sir Knight, I find myself having a hard time forming words when in your presence."

He smiled at her words. "i was about to say the same to you my princess. I must ask though. Do you believe in love at first sight? For I swear to you that I have fallen fully and completely in love with you. I ask also if you truly feel the same about me? If so then tell me what i must do to win your hand. For if you would have me I would truly become your knight and love you with all I am until the end of time."

He studied her face closely waiting to see how she would answer. again he held his breath in anticipation.

He was like her? He had a tough time forming coherent, understandable sentences when he was around her? His next question took her aback, it was a good question, did she believe it was possible to love someone the moment that you lay your eyes on them? Her mother had told her many love stories when she was but a girl, about people who were destined to be together forever and always, who had, fallen in love at first sight.

The knight's comment made Elizabeth blush bright red, "Y-you love me?" She squeaked, heart fluttering madly in her chest, the next question made a hard lump form in her throat. She had never confessed her feelings to anyone before, all of this was so new to her. "I-I, I do believe in love a first glance and I believe I have fallen for thee, and you need not do such things and win my hand, you should ask my father, he is the one you would have to win." Stopping, the princess turned towards the knight and smiled shyly, "I will have you Sir Issac, I will."

Isaac let out his breath and took her hands up to his lips kissing them. "Then I shall ask him My Princess. but for now I need to look upon you. Never have i seen your equal." He searched her face thoughtfully and curiously his eyes boring into hers.

The princess, the angel before him, loved him. He could not understand how or why it had happened but he saw she truly did love him and he knew he loved her. He could only hope her father would agree.

Back
Top Bottom