Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Behind Blue Eyes

I think I need an outlet to vent my thoughts, good or bad.

So, here goes my first little entry.

-----------------------

I firmly and completely hope with every fiber of my being that the internet bankrupts, destroys and abolishes the Recording Industry within the next five years. I also hope that streaming internet bankrupts all major cable networks. We as humans have finally breached the cusp of artistic infinite potential. Musicians, writers, independent film directors, every single means of creative expression is now able to be completely free of profit-hungry executives and producers who's only concern is whether or not this PRODUCT will sell. Music, books, and film are ART, not products. They are expressions of the human condition and should be treated, enjoyed and analyzed as such not graded based upon their ability to move merchandise and generate capita. The problem? People need to realize this. If you know a local artist, musician or author encourage them to host their material online in free mediums to share with the public. The second you put something on the internet every person with internet access can find it if they know where to look. Isn't that an artist's wet dream? Being able to reach a global audience with their work with very little effort and investment. Humanity, please wake up. We have common ground and the power to move mountains with the internet. Let's start using it.

The problem with that is that even though local artists will be heard/seen/read, they won't get any money.

The "starving artist" started for a reason.

Except they will still be able to sell albums and make money via shows, touring and deals with local venues! The Tacoma Punk scene is a classic example of a self supporting music scene that's doing quite well. People who make music to make money are the "starving artists". People who live their normal lives, do what they need to get by and are musicians / in bands for personal enrichment are usually the ones that end up famous.

If they can get recording studio time. Some people can't.

Punk scene says it all. I think that music can be pretty cheap sounding but make it sound interesting [with some bass] and people are wetting themselves.

Hahvoc The Decepticon said:

Punk scene says it all. I think that music can be pretty cheap sounding but make it sound interesting [with some bass] and people are wetting themselves.

...Did you even comprehend the point of my statement? I'm trying to encourage music to evolve past it's current money driven consumerism mentality. The vast majority of people have no idea who their local musician are, they only know what's easily available to them on the radio...Which is you know only things by major record labels, NOTHING ELSE.

At least a scene of music is thriving outside of the oppressive decision makings of the record industry.

Yes, punk is all but completely talentless.

But so is EVERYTHING produced by the major record labels of america. It's homogenized soulless crap broken down to algorhythms based around what's proven to sell. At least a local music scene is people with a genuine interest in the art (No matter how mediocre) banding together to keep something alive.

Cheshire Smirk said:

...Did you even comprehend the point of my statement? I'm trying to encourage music to evolve past it's current money driven consumerism mentality. The vast majority of people have no idea who their local musician are, they only know what's easily available to them on the radio...Which is you know only things by major record labels, NOTHING ELSE.

At least a scene of music is thriving outside of the oppressive decision makings of the record industry.

But so is EVERYTHING produced by the major record labels of america. It's homogenized soulless crap broken down to algorhythms based around what's proven to sell. At least a local music scene is people with a genuine interest in the art (No matter how mediocre) banding together to keep something alive.

If everything produced by major record labels was crap, it wouldn't sell no matter how you wrapped it.

If people can put together local record companies, that's where you can change things. Not just the local music scene.

Cheshire Smirk said:

If everything produced by major record labels was crap, it wouldn't sell no matter how you wrapped it.

If people can put together local record companies, that's where you can change things. Not just the local music scene.

Record labels have NO REASON TO EXIST with the state of internet technologies. Bands can stream, host and produce without congolmerates telling them "No, that sound won't work." The internet is the means to artistic freedom and evolution as opposed to the guided stagnation of art that we are experiencing as a whole. With the sharing potential of the internet every single person is more free than they have ever been to discover, learn, be inspired and experience growth and diversity in their tastes.

Instead this growth of global culture is being curbed and discouraged by a lack of effort on the part of fledgling artists to utilize the information technology tools available at their disposal to reach their audiences. Do you know HOW bands get big? They start LOCAL. They spread by word of mouth and small venue shows. Well, with the internet the entire world is LOCAL to an artist. Artists just need to wake up, think outside the box and take advantage of the incredible potential the internet has.

Cheshire Smirk said:
Do you know HOW bands get big? They start LOCAL. They spread by word of mouth and small venue shows.

First of all, since I'm not stupid, yes, I fucking know how bands get big. It's also talent and booking places that great bands once played at as well. And being funded by a company that can get you places you might never see on your own.

Having the backing of a label makes you look more professional and accessible. That you're serious about the music you make. Not selling out is how you keep up with what you've got. Just because a label says, "Hey, that probably won't sell," doesn't mean you just give the fuck up.

Most bands know that. They either play music they love and still sell out concerts or they play music they are told to play and eventually drop off the map.

Just because the internet is a highway for music doesn't mean it's exactly helpful to artists. Unless people feel inclined to donate, they don't get money they might actually need to keep doing what they love and bring music to people who haven't heard their sound yet. Yes, some sites sell their music and people buy it but a lot of people also download it for free.

Just because you believe there is no need for record companies doesn't prove that they don't have merit. Sure, they could use the downsize from their giant status and stop backing people like JB and Chris Brown but most people like Hip-hop and Rap compared to actual Rock and Roll.

Cheshire Smirk said:
Do you know HOW bands get big? They start LOCAL. They spread by word of mouth and small venue shows.

First of all, since I'm not stupid, yes, I fucking know how bands get big. It's also talent and booking places that great bands once played at as well. And being funded by a company that can get you places you might never see on your own.

Having the backing of a label makes you look more professional and accessible. That you're serious about the music you make. Not selling out is how you keep up with what you've got. Just because a label says, "Hey, that probably won't sell," doesn't mean you just give the fuck up.

Most bands know that. They either play music they love and still sell out concerts or they play music they are told to play and eventually drop off the map.

Just because the internet is a highway for music doesn't mean it's exactly helpful to artists. Unless people feel inclined to donate, they don't get money they might actually need to keep doing what they love and bring music to people who haven't heard their sound yet. Yes, some sites sell their music and people buy it but a lot of people also download it for free.

Just because you believe there is no need for record companies doesn't prove that they don't have merit. Sure, they could use the downsize from their giant status and stop backing people like JB and Chris Brown but most people like Hip-hop and Rap compared to actual Rock and Roll.

It feels like you're only looking at the financial aspect and not realizing that the internet is free exposure. Exposure is a direct factor in a musician's growth. Exposure is the big thing that record labels did for musicians that they could not do in the past. Studio time was a small factor in the equation; it was EXPOSURE above anything else that record labels offered. They had the money and means to make a larger population aware of the band. With the internet and social media artists can do that themselves for very little to no cost. With record labels gone it would encourage a growth in the number of independent studios readily available to musicians. Stuidos free from the bottom-line mentality and polluted biases of an industry. Art should never be an industry. Industry is for things that are fabricated by definite patterns. The automobile industry, the lumber industry, the fast food industry.

Thank you for the lovely debate though, but we're just going in circles!

I'm talking the whole picture, not just exposure. Still gotta put food in mouths and pay bills. You can be heard in Japan through someone's phone or laptop but it doesn't mean you'll get a chance to tour over there if you don't have the proper funds.

Btws, art has always been an industry. It's been the entertainment industry since the arts became the focal point of societies besides science. Why do you think colleges have bachelors of art or bachelors of science degrees? It's an industry.

I'm talking the whole picture, not just exposure. Still gotta put food in mouths and pay bills. You can be heard in Japan through someone's phone or laptop but it doesn't mean you'll get a chance to tour over there if you don't have the proper funds.

Kickstarter! Independent video game studios and companies are using kickstarter to fund their projects.

Small bands can easily do the same, just like authors and artists are.

Look at that...it provides money.

Just like I've been saying, everything requires money, even if you think it should be free. Exposure is free, the work for a dream is not.

Look at that...it provides money.

Just like I've been saying, everything requires money, even if you think it should be free. Exposure is free, the work for a dream is not.

Are you serious? Do you not understand the problem with Record Labels?

Most small bands that sign to record labels become subjugated to the will of the label. They are peons in a music factory, putting parts where they are told to put them. The label CONTROLS the band. They own and run the studios, they assign the producer and they DECIDE how the band sounds. Most creative control is completely surrendered until the band makes enough money to branch out on their own (Which doesn't happen as often as you'd think!)

Alternatives such as social media and kickstarter enable bands to chase their dreams without exposing themselves to controlling labels. Many bands manage to tour across the country without ever touching a record label!

Back
Top Bottom