Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Drink recommendations

Millenium Joker

Supernova
Trying to get some recommendations for spirits and beers people enjoy that I may take a liking to. I am pretty much set on Guinness (on tap) as far as beer goes, but as far as harder stuff, I'm a bit apprehensive about spending money on something I will end up hating. So far, I know I am a fan of Captain Morgan, Kraken spiced rum, and a few vodkas (mostly Popov, Greg Goose, Three Olives) but as to anything else I'm still unsure. Can anybody recommend anything I may enjoy (that I won't end up throwing money away on) so that my belly can be full of that sweet sweet creature?

Here's the problem.

If you wanna know if you like a drink, you need to buy GOOD stuff. Crap will always taste like shit.

Therefore, most of the following suggestions retail for over $40

Maker's Mark (bourbon whiskey)
Lusid Absinthe (Recently, the real deal was made legal in the states. If you don't like liquorice, steer clear)
10Cane Rum (Distilled inside sugarcanes. Delicious!)
Tanqueray Gin (Also: Lemons, limes, oranges, tonic water. Three slice orange, two lime, one lemon, half tonic/half gin, add ice, muddle, drink)
Crown Royal (The ONLY canadian whiskey you should ever drink. If it says canadian whiskey and it's NOT CR, IT WILL KILL YOU)

Now. Beer?

Blue Moon is a perennial 'starter' beer. Even people that hate beer find something to love. Alaskan Amber is good, as is Shock Top, and Pyramid Apricot Ale is to die for. Beyond that, your best best is finding a local microbrew and going to sample their wares. Beer is better the more local it is. True story.

When i drink (which is rare) I'm 1. drinking something girly and fruity, or 2. i am doing shots. I do not like the taste of alchohol so I either want it done fast or to be covered up. If i am going to sip, i only like creamy smooth chocolate drinks.

Four horsemen is a strong one and all the boys join the party- Jim, Jack, Johny, and Jameson.
Screaming nazi (my husbands personal favorite) Jager and peppermint schnapps (he also ads a little everclear to make it a little more horrible)
and then just the straight shots Jack Daniels, captain Morgan, moonshine, Patron

Four Horsemen sound spoke something I would like- if it has Jameson's or any kind of Irish whiskey, I'll try it at least once. As to the scream in Nazi, I'm gonna keep away. Jagermeister isn't my drink (not a fan of anything made with licorice or anise, such as Ouzo or Absinthe) and Schnapps, while entertaining too watch others get toasted on, I'm keeping away from. It's everclear with sugar and flavoring. If you can start a tractor with it, I'm not putting it anywhere near me. Last time I did I ended up speaking perfect Spanish, telling complete strangers I'd never met that I loved them and wanted to know where they lived, made out with a 50+ year old woman, and ended up wearing her (incredibly hot) daughter's clothes.

I was 16 at the time. It only takes once. Old people and schnapps- don't do it.

Trygon said:
Here's the problem.

If you wanna know if you like a drink, you need to buy GOOD stuff. Crap will always taste like shit.

Lusid Absinthe (Recently, the real deal was made legal in the states. If you don't like liquorice, steer clear)
Tanqueray Gin (Also: Lemons, limes, oranges, tonic water. Three slice orange, two lime, one lemon, half tonic/half gin, add ice, muddle, drink)
Crown Royal (The ONLY canadian whiskey you should ever drink. If it says canadian whiskey and it's NOT CR, IT WILL KILL YOU)

Now. Beer?

Blue Moon is a perennial 'starter' beer. Even people that hate beer find something to love. Alaskan Amber is good, as is Shock Top, and Pyramid Apricot Ale is to die for. Beyond that, your best best is finding a local microbrew and going to sample their wares. Beer is better the more local it is. True story.

Well, in downtown Atlanta, they brew a local beer called the Laughing Skull. I think it's only served at the Vortex Bar & Grill. I've heard its OKAY, but a lot of people have told me that there's definitely better, cheaper stuff out there that doesn't leave a metallic aftertaste in your mouth.

With whiskey, I'm considering (obviously Crown) a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey whiskey I've been told its sweet and flavorful while still retaining that JD essence behind it. My big thing is that for the life of me, I've never met a person who drinks it straight. I've only seen it used in making Honey Badgers.

Millenium Joker said:
Trygon said:
Here's the problem.

Now. Beer?

Well, in downtown Atlanta, they brew a local beer called the Laughing Skull. I think it's only served at the Vortex Bar & Grill. I've heard its OKAY, but a lot of people have told me that there's definitely better, cheaper stuff out there that doesn't leave a metallic aftertaste in your mouth.

With whiskey, I'm considering (obviously Crown) a bottle of Jack Daniels Honey whiskey I've been told its sweet and flavorful while still retaining that JD essence behind it. My big thing is that for the life of me, I've never met a person who drinks it straight. I've only seen it used in making Honey Badgers.

Srsly? JD Honey is excellent in shots, and was the first shot I ever gave to my ladyfriend. As far as honey whiskeys go, I actually prefer Ezra Brooks or Wild Turkey's honey blends - JD is what I call 'crime' whiskey, and I want it PAINFUL and raw.

"Jack Daniels - The booze that should come with bail money"

Crime whiskey? I'm not sure I follow.

Making a note for meself- Ezra Brooks, Wild Turkey, and Crown are what I should Benson the lookout for.

He gets in trouble when he drinks it.

I honestly drink Wild Turkey with gingerale, it is my standard go to drink.
Though I've discovered that I like a good Appleton Rum mixed with coke.

I'll be then first to admit, I love sweets. So any kind of drink that can satisfy that (bear in mind that I'm not really that big on cocktails) is ideal. One caviat to that rule is that I absolutely love Guinness. Something about that bitter, smokey, semisweet chocolate mixed with coffee underflavor and that lovely nitrogen-enriched fizziness in a perfect pint just makes it so that I can enjoy a nice Irish stout and still come back for more.

Hmm....drink recommendations, I have a few if you like sweet. They are shots that I have tried over the years and I find them to be quite satisfying if you have a sweet tooth.

Sugar Daddy Shot- 1 half Buttershots (DeKuyper's is choice for me it's cheap and goes down smooth) and 1 half Bailey's Irish cream, Pour so that liquor seperates it looks cool and tastes like a sugar daddy lollipop.

Carmel Apple Shot-1 half Buttershots and one half Apple Pucker, You have a carmel apple with a kick

This one's more of a party drink because it's made in a large amount due to ingredients needed. Grain Fruit Punch- the ingredients needed are: Half a container of strawberries (Cut into halves), Quarter watermelon (Cut into chunks or balled with a melon baller), Quarter Canteloupe and a quarter Honeydew melon (again cut into chunks or balled). 2 or 3 pints of grain alcohol (depends on how drunk you want to get off of it or how many people are drinking). Put your cut up fruit into a large punch bowl and pour grain alcohol over it, cover place in fridge overnight to let the fruit soak up the alcohol. When your fruit is nice and alcohol-a-fied remove from fridge, uncover and take rainbow or your favorite flavored sherbert and put it into the bowl (Add as much or as little as you want normally the end result will look like a really chunky smoothie). Pour into glasses and grab a spoon, enjoy. I've found when made right you don't taste the alcohol at all which could be good or bad depending on the person.

Pudding Shots- 1 cup of milk, 1/2 cup of vodka, 1/2 cup of Bailey's Irish Cream, 1 (4 serving size) package of Instant Chocolate pudding mix. Whisk ingredients together for about 4 minutes then pour into shot glasses or my favorite disposable dixie cups that crush. Chill for about 30 minutes to an hour.

PB&J Shooter- 1/2 ounce Vodka, 1/2 ounce raspberry chambord liquor, 1/2 ounce Frangelico(SP?). Pour into shaker (Or plastic bottle like I do lol) Shake and pour into shot glass. (I had to look up the uniform recipe for this because I usually make enough for multiple shots it's the first kind of shot I ever took at a bar and I thought it was fantastic)

Hopefully this helps a bit :)

Snake, you have just made my day. I tried something similar to the grain fruit punch. I soaked gummy bears in Aguardiente- Latin anise flavored clear liquor. (Not a fan) Whereas it wouldve been enjoyable if I'd used vodka or gin, something about the alsohol and gummy bears mixed made the bears.... Sticky, slimy, and just foul.

Gummy bears and alcohol are a no go for me, the bears get slimy and the consistency makes me gag, fruit on the other hand soaks the alcohol up and absorbs it plus it's meant to stay chilled so the fruit won't get overly mushy or break apart in the mixture. You could also substitute the grain for Vodka or gin if it's made right the alcohol taste won't even be there.

Well, its almost a guarantee that after this week (got a big thing in Atlanta this weekend) I'm gonna be sampling all of these. I just hope I have the number of a few of my bartender friends. Last I checked, the restaurant we worked together shut down.

Has anybody tried that.... I can't remember the name, but its some sort of Apple Ale they're advertising on TV nowadays. Anybody tried it? If so, how is it?

Back
Top Bottom