Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's giving me a complex (Candira and Agnores)

Evan was hoping Drew would notice him, hoping Drew would confront him. He hoped Drew would start a fight so Evan would be completely justified in beating the snot out of him, and Sophie couldn't hate him completely for it. Hell, maybe that would be sufficient to get Drew completely out of Sophie's life. Wouldn't that be great.

Still, Drew made no notice of Evan, even as he came within arms reach. Evan snorted, adjusting his path so that instead of running straight into him, or walking cleanly by him; Evan shouldered Drew roughly, glaring at him as he walked by.

Drew stumbled a bit as Evan shouldered into him. Well that just seemed like a dick move. It wasn't like the guy didn't have the whole sidewalk to himself. Even if Drew had been walking in the middle, there would have been plenty of room on either side. What was his problem? And if he was back, that meant Sophie was around, right? "Hey, what's your problem?" Drew asked, catching the glare.

The two of them were a pretty even match as far as height went, though Evan might have had an inch on him. As far as he could tell, they had the same physical build, so he couldn't see a distinct advantage either way. But he wasn't looking to fight with the guy. Sure he was a friend of Ryan's, but he was also a friend of Sophie's. They didn't hang out all that much, but they hung out enough for Sophie to trust him. Besides, he had no problem with the guy. He was just someone on campus.

So was this because of Ryan then?

As Evan squared off with Drew, every complaint he had against the guy raced its way across his mind. As each thought attempted to escape, however, it seemed to slam into a brick wall. With everything Evan had that he wanted to say to Drew, none of it wanted to escape. Evan was no stranger to situations like this, and usually he wasted no time speaking his mind. This time, however, it just got caught, refusing to budge.

Evan gave a huff, turning to continue on his way back to his dorm. "Watch where you walk," was all he said as he turned away.

The guy had hurt Sophie. The guy had hurt Ryan. The guy was the reason he had been unable to get with Sophie. For the longest time, Evan had wanted to beat the living shit out of the guy. So now, all of a sudden, the first time ever he had the chance to actually fight Drew, did he hang up like that? Why couldn't he say what he needed to say? Drew surely thought he was a weakling, and afraid. That only served to make Evan irritable. Slowly he considered turning back and confronting Drew.

He knew he wouldn't, however. He knew it wasn't worth it. For now, he would ignore Drew. He would ignore him for as long as he could.

Confused and annoyed, Drew just groaned and shrugged it off. He decided to go grab some candy from the student store--his personal comfort food--and then just go back to his room. Maybe he could forget about it all when he'd done some gaming or looked at his homework. He probably couldn't focus on his work tonight, but he could certainly get into gaming. Maybe something where he didn't have to hurt anybody? That seemed best. He wanted to calm down, not rile himself up.

~.The Next Day (Chapter 2!).~

Amy sat back in her chair, a soft smile gracing her face. Despite the fiasco yesterday, Amy had seemed to get a grip on how she felt: she was still depressed, but it wasn't overwhelming. The night in the gym with Sophie had really helped. Plus, it helped she had a new problem to focus on for today.

She shared two classes with Drew, which meant they found themselves in class together every day. This was made awkward by the fact Drew had beat the crap out of her ex yesterday, despite her not really wanting him to. After hearing what Ryan had said, however, Amy couldn't decide if she was mad at Drew or not. Drew definitely seemed penitent. Still, he had made no move to talk to her, and she had returned the favor.

Internally, Amy sighed. She wanted so much for the image of Ryan she held to go back to the way it was, before she found out what a jerk he really was. She wished she could still think of Ryan as the strong gentleman who cared for her more then anything. She just couldn't bring herself to do it anymore, especially after what he said to Drew.

Amy shook her head and attempted to pay attention to the teacher.

It was getting ridiculous. He couldn't just keep avoiding her. But it was hard to focus with her sitting only two rows away. She didn't look sad like she had yesterday, but something was decidedly off. Not to mention the fact that he hadn't apologized to her yet. But you didn't just call someone for something like that. It was the sort of thing that had to be done face to face. He wasn't at all sure about what he was going to say, though for the past twelve hours or so he hadn't been able to stop thinking about it--even in his dreams. Sighing, he tried to focus on the lecture, but it was really just going in one ear and out the other.

It was a good thing he was a good typist. He just kept taking notes on his computer, typing the words he heard, and thankfully not what he thought. When class was over he packed up his computer and decided to man up. He caught Amy before she left. "Hey. Do you have a few minutes? I was hoping I could talk to you," he said, frowning a little. It was clear the poor guy was nervous. He even seemed sorry. But maybe she was still mad. Was she even mad at all? Sophie hadn't gotten back to him.

Amy was on her way out of the classroom when Drew stopped her. Part of her had not wanted to have this conversation with Drew; however, she couldn't deny she was glad that he did stop her. He seemed nervous, even sorry, so she was sure what he wanted to talk about. She still couldn't decide whether she was mad or not, so she just decided to stay neutral, and see how things go.

'Yeah," she said. "Walk with me." With that, she set off down the hall, heading out of the building. She was going to stop by the student center and grab a snack, something to munch on while she studied in her room. She figured that Drew had plenty of time to say what he needed on the way back to her room.

Drew bit back a sigh of relief when he agreed to talk to her. She was still kind of icing him out, but she didn't seem angry. He could work with ice. So he followed her as she walked along, well aware that he was at a disadvantage conversationally--strategically, she had him on the move. It would have been admirable if he wasn't already feeling so bad. "Listen, I'm guessing you know what I did to Ryan last night. I wanted to say I was sorry for not listening to you. You asked me not to hurt him, and I completely ignored that. But it's not like I went out looking for the guy."

He ran his hand through his hair with a sigh. "I was a little worked up because he'd hurt you and you were...well not yourself. So I was trying to cool down on a walk. The cosmos has a sick sense of humor because almost two minutes after I left the dorm I ran into him. I hadn't intended to do anything more than talk to him--find out what was going on between you two in his eyes. But then he said that stuff and I lost it." His eyes darkened with quiet rage as he remembered everything word for word and felt the urge to Ryan again.

"It's not an excuse--I realize that I could have and should have handled it better now that I can look back. But at the moment...I don't think I've ever met someone who was more deserving of an ass-kicking. I can understand if you're mad at me, though. I'm sure it's not helping your concentration..." He sighed. "Well that came out wrong. Look, I'm sorry, okay? I hope you can forgive me. And if this whole situation has distracted you from class--I'm willing to tutor you til you're caught up again," he said, hoping that would sweeten the deal a little.

My listened to Drew, but didn't say much until he was done. Everything Drew said sounded sincere; it made Amy feel loads better that Drew didn't go hunting down Ryan. She glanced at Drew when he mentioned that he was worked up because of how hurt she was. It was sweet, in a way, Amy thought. Drew truly cared for her it seems. Thinking back on it, Ryan would have never done anything like that. As he talked, she began to watch Drew; she noticed the anger in his eyes when he mentioned what Ryan had said.

However, Drew was right. None of this was a good enough excuse, and he should have handled it better. It was obvious now Ryan was an asshole and deserved everything he got; but it wasn't Drew's place to deliver it. Amy didn't know who's place it was, but it wasn't Drew. When he offered to tutor, Amy opened the door into the student center, motioning for him to go first. She followed directly behind him, another soft smile gracing her face.

"You know, Drew," she said. "I think I can forgive you if you explain the class I missed yesterday's notes. I still don't quite understand it."

With that, Amy decided she wasn't mad at Drew, that she hadn't been mad at Drew this whole time. He just seemed so sincere, and she really didn't like the idea of him feeling bad for any longer then he had too.

Thank God. was all that went through his mind when she said she might forgive him. The relief was so strong and so instant, he could almost see the tension leaving his body. He smiled and nodded. "Sure, I can do that. We should find a quiet place to do it, though. Any place you want to go?" He asked, keeping up with her strides as she guided them along. He wasn't sure why they were in the student center, but he wasn't about to question her--not after all they'd been through already. Besides, maybe he needed something here too. He might have just forgotten it. In any case, he was glad that she seemed to be okay now. And he was grateful that she wasn't angry.

"Yeah," Amy said. "We can go to my room. Not sure if Sophie will be there, but she is generally quiet if I am studying."

She led Drew through the student center to the small convenience store located in the back; it was small, but it had all the things the odd college student may need: batteries, snacks, and most importantly, caffeine. Amy grabbed a small bag of potato chips and bottled tea, turning to Drew. "I was going to my room to study after buying a snack, anyway. So this is all pretty convenient." She smiled at him as she made her way to the check-out counter.

Drew had seemed to be visibly relieved when she said she may forgive him. It was almost cute how bothered he was that she may have been upset at him. That was something else Ryan would have never done, Amy thought.

Drew smiled at her suggestion to go back to her room. If Sophie was there, he could talk to her after the study session and straighten things out with her, too. If she wasn't, he could always find her later. "That does sound convenient," he said, grabbing a bag of gummy cherries and a bottle of Coke. "I think I'll grab something too," he said following her to the check out. The thought occurred to buy the stuff for her, but he wasn't sure how she would react to the gesture. He didn't want to screw up so soon after being forgiven...but it was a nice gesture.

"Why don't you let me get that for you? Consider it the cherry on top of the tutoring," he said with a chuckle. There--she still had the opportunity to refuse, and he could still make the gesture. Maybe he was still guilty, or maybe he just wanted to do something nice for her. Maybe it was both. Either way, he felt the need to do something. And anyway, he couldn't imagine it would really do much for or against him at this point.

Amy looked at Drew, cocking her head to the side. "Well, how can a girl refuse a cherry?" She gave a giggle as she placed her stuff on the counter, stepping back so Drew could pay. "Thanks," she said after Drew had paid, taking her stuff from the counter and leaving the store and exiting the student center. She began back to her dorm.

As she sipped on her tea, she glanced over at Drew. "You didn't have to do that, you know. After hearing what he had to say, I don't think I was mad at you." She gave a small sigh, remembering Ryan's words. She still had a hard time believing the Ryan she knew would have said anything like that. Drew had no reason to lie to her about it, though, and even if she suspected he was, she'd be convinced now that Drew was an expert actor or his feelings were genuine.

"I guess it's nice to have someone do little things for you, though."

Since she agreed to let him pay, he did, happily shelling out for her snacks. It wasn't as though they were expensive or anything. It wasn't that big of a deal, really, but if he was going to show he was contrite, he may as well go all the way. Besides, he wanted her to think well of him. He smiled when she glanced his way and slipped his own purchases into his book bag. "Nah. It's not a big thing. I figure I can at least do this much for you. Besides--you gave me a fudge pop and popcorn yesterday. If nothing else, it's reciprocity."

He smiled again and flipped his mind back to yesterday's lesson in math. He was so glad he only had one math class and then he was done. It wasn't that he didn't do well in it--but he didn't particularly enjoy it either. Reading--now there was something he could get behind. "Anyway, I guess I should start thinking about how to explain the notes," he said, pondering that very thing.

Amy led Drew back to her room, where it seemed that Sophie was absent. She could still be in the bathroom or something, but for the moment, she wasn't there. Amy threw her bag onto her bed, taking a seat at her desk. Setting her tea and chips on the desk, she pulled out the notes Drew had brought her from yesterday, opening the folder they were contained in and placing it on her desk.

"So, if you can, go over whats in these notes for me," Amy said, turning to Drew.

She hoped that the material wasn't too hard. It would otherwise make the fact she didn't pay attention to yesterday's class a disaster. However, if Drew paid attention, then she may be saved...if she could understand it with him explaining it.

Drew sighed intwardly as he realized Sophie wouldn't be around. Oh well. He'd just talk to her later. For the time being, he had Amy's forgiveness and the option to spend more time with her. He smiled as he took a seat next to her, slipping out his snacks and waiting for her to get all set up. When everything was ready, the lesson began.

Sophie was currently on her way to the gym, figuring she could use some time to herself. Amy was nice and all, but there was only so much bonding a girl could do before she needed to think. And boy did she. She was slowly becoming friends with a girl she'd considered her...well enemy wasn't the right word. Rival? But then she hadn't really tried for Drew's affections after he'd confessed his own for Amy. Well, anyway, Amy had never been Sophie's idea of a friend. But she was actually pretty nice. And she was a good person. It was hard to not like her.

That wasn't the only change in her life. She sighed as she got on the elliptical, ready to pound out some serious cardio. She turned on her iPod and started up the program. For the first time in a long time, she hadn't thought of Drew. And the reason for that? She was thinking about Evan. She smiled softly as her lips tingled with the memory of their kiss. The artist hadn't been so interested in a man since she'd realized her feelings for Drew. And since that day, she'd been trying to forget him. It was hard to do when you were already friends.

But it was different with Evan. He was actually interested in her art, in her past. He liked being with her, he shared things he could have kept to himself. The pizza place had been a prime example. He seemed to know that she would like it--not just based on the food but also the atmosphere. He constantly fed her compliments--regardless of whether or not they were little flirty jokes. Evan was sweet and thoughtful, and the more she hung out with him, the more she found to like about him.

So what did that mean? It was a big change, but she was happier now than she had been since she started college. Maybe she should just go with the flow. It wouldn't hurt to grow a little as a person. Besides, it felt right. Maybe things would be better now. Maybe she could finally move on.

Evan lay on his bed, flipping his phone through the air and catching it. Evan's mind wasn't with him; his roommate had come and gone, even had a conversation with Evan, but Evan wasn't aware. In fact, Evan hadn't been aware of what was going on around him since he got home from class. Since that time, it had been just as Evan had predicted: a constant internal battle on whether he should call Sophie or not.

Things were surprisingly natural with Sophie. Evan found his jokes came easy, conversation came easy; he had enjoyed the whole time he spent with her. Better yet, she seemed to enjoy herself. It was loads better then the Sophie he had knew before, the Sophie who had been too hung up on Drew to be much more than melancholy.

However, none of this made his problem easier. Did he call her or did he not? Eventually, Evan settled on texting her, seeing what she was up to. He hoped it didn't make him seem like a desperate loser, but he just couldn't help himself.

'Hey, you busy?' he sent to her.

Sophie kept on keeping on, her workout nearing the end of her allotted one hour. She did have a few projects to work on after this, so best to take care of herself first. She was starting the cool down when she heard her phone beep with a text. She picked it up, still moving to an internal beat as she saw Evan's text. Speak of the devil. Smiling, she flipped open the keyboard and then started on a quick reply.

'Working out. Almost done tho. You?'

She'd be busy later, but if he just wanted to talk for a little bit, she could definitely spare the time.

Evan smiled when he got a reply, quickly bringing up the on screen keyboard and replying back. 'I'm just texting this really amazing girl, I don't know if you know her. Her name is Sophie.

After he hit send, he reaalized how lame that sounded. With a groan, he let the phone fall onto his chest. Why would he say something like that!? Giving a sigh, he jumped off his bed, walked across the room, and turned on his Xbox. He was currently catching up on older games, like the Portal series. The puzzles were tough, but the game was really fun. He started up Portal 2, and while it loaded, he checked his phone, to which there was no reply.

Damn it, he thought. She really did think that was dumb. It didn't occur to Evan that it had only been a minute and Sophie hadn't had the time to reply.

She was just finishing up her cool down when the last text came in. She stopped her pedaling now and came to a stop, looking at the text he'd sent her. Though no one was really around to confirm or deny it, Sophie was sure her grin was about as goofy as the text he'd just sent. Still, it was sweet and cute. Cheesy had a place in her heart. She got off the machine and wiped it down before responding.

'No way! Another amazing Sophie?! I'll kill her!' she joked, sending the message.

Maybe he'd feel a little less silly. But it seemed kinda weird to just text him like this when she was free to call him now. She stretched a little and waited for his next message. Depending on what it was, she might have to do just that. Hearing his voice would only brighten her day.

He had just started into a puzzle when he received her reply. Putting down his controller, he picked up his phone, laughing openly at her text. 'No! I can't have you fighting yourself. That'd be bad. Got plans tomorrow?'

He was glad she played along with his cheesiness. It would make this whole relationship easier. Evan returned to his game, slowly realizing he should probably just call her. Would that be weird? She said she was working out, so maybe she was still busy. Evan sighed, laughing quietly at how he was starting to think the Portal puzzles were less stressful.

He knew, however, that this thing with Sophie would be that much more rewarding.

Ah, and now we see what it's all about, she thought, smiling as she caught his text. He was a pretty smooth guy. It was one of the factors that made hanging out with him so easy. She never felt as though they had nothing to talk about. But since he was asking about her plans, it seemed silly to her to just text him back, cute as their messaging had been. So she decided to call him as she left the gym. Slowly, she made her way back to her dorm while the phone rang and she waited for the chance to talk to the man in question.

It took a bit for Evan to hear his phone ringing, he was so caught up in his puzzle. He was so close to the end. Still, he managed to grab his phone, see it was Sophie, and answer it before it had stopped ringing. "Hey," he answered, with an over-done deep "sexy" voice. "Sorry, when a gorgeous woman calls, sometimes my sexy beast breaks through. What can I do for you?" He continued, after clearing his throat with a cough.

Sophie chuckled at his deep voice and the explanation. "Hey stud," she joked. "I'm finished working out now so I figured I'd save us both some time and effort and call you. I'm free tomorrow after my classes finish up. What did you have in mind?" It was probably lame that she felt a little giddy that he was calling her not 24 hours after their last encounter. Oh well. Anyone who thought that could suck an egg. That's right--10th Kingdom reference.

She wondered what he was up to, but figured she'd save that until after their plans had been made. Besides, she had all the time in the world to wonder at the difference between the sexy beast and the Evan that was talking to her now. She would have to tease him mercilessly about it later.

"So how about me you go to a movie tomorrow night? Any movie you want, my treat."

Evan wondered what Sophie thought of him right now. Did she think he was lame? Was she just entertaining him because she felt pity? He couldn't tell. Still, if she agreed to go out with him, it didn't matter. He wondered if it was lame to invite her to a movie? Too cliche for someone like Sophie? Evan mentally shook his head, trying to get himself focused on the moment.

Right now he was on the phone with the best looking girl on campus, and that was all that mattered.

Back
Top Bottom