Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's giving me a complex (Candira and Agnores)

Sophie didn't mind that he made a quick response before he focused his attention on her again. He was being courteous. She scooped another bite of dessert up and lifted it to her lips, watching as he put the phone away. She took the bite, enjoying it. "That's okay. Well, I'm from a little town about an hour to the south. Very quaint. I was the weird artsy kid," she said with a smile. "Don't get me wrong--I had my own little group of friends, but I was not of the popular variety."

Then there was another text...and it was about Drew? Weird. "Weird. Why would he have a picture of Drew?" She frowned, setting the spoon down. "I have a bad feeling about this..." she said, feeling a sudden chill down her back.

"I'm sure he's just being weird," Evan said, looking back down at his phone. For a second, it didn't register what the message said, and when it did, Evan's whole demeanor changed.

asshole jumped me

Evan was suddenly angry. Drew jumped Ryan? That son of a bitch spent almost his whole college career making Sophie's life hell, then goes and jumps his best friend? shit, u ok? Evan shot back, his expression hard and his body tense. Why would Drew attack Ryan? That seemed awfully random and pointed at Evan. Did he know about this thing with Sophie? Did he...

It struck Evan suddenly. "Sophie," Evan said after a few seconds of silence, "Did Drew know about Amy?" His voice was hard, anger thin but noticeable. "I need to know, now."

It struck Sophie just about the same time as it hit Evan. But she didn't want to believe it. Not only didn't it sound like Drew, but she'd left him and Amy together, hadn't she? Evan's change in demeanor, however, said it all. He was angry, he was tense, and he did not sound at all like the sweet guy who'd taken her here. Well, that would be the end of the date. It didn't occur to her that she'd just referred to it as a date then, but she might come back to that later.

"Well, he didn't when I left. Since Amy left class early, he brought her a copy of the notes he took in class. I thought maybe I could calm her down if I knew what had happened, so I left Drew with her. Since he's always fawning over her, I figured he would comfort her. I guess she might have told him what happened, but I don't think he would have left her alone if he know." She frowned, wondering what Ryan had said. If it turned out that Drew really had gone to beat him up, she wasn't sure what to think.

"What happened?"

"Apparently Drew jumped Ryan."

Evan checked his phone as he received another message. Apparently, the picture had been taken by this girl named Jenny, which sounded an awful lot like the chick Ryan had been cheating on Amy with. She had snapped the picture as Drew was walking away. Evan gave a huge sigh, attempting, but failing, to keep his anger in check. He shot back with an inquiry on why Drew would have jumped him.

As he waited for the reply, Evan looked back up to Sophie. "I'm sorry. I'm a little p.o.'ed right now." Evan gave another huge sigh, attempting to calm himself. He didn't wanna ruin this. Not when everything was going so well with Sophie. "Tell me, Sophie. How was a girl like you not popular?" His voice was strained, like he was incredibly angry and having to work hard to hold it back. However, it was obvious that he was genuinely interested, and was trying his best to not let it get in the way of the 'date'.

And there it was. The reason she simply couldn't get over Drew--he kept turning up at the wrong time. It seemed no matter where she went, he followed her somehow. It wouldn't have been so bad if they could have spent some time apart or if he wouldn't talk about Amy so much. She might have been able to let him go so much faster and easier. But he just kept poking at her sore spots. Here he was beating up some guy because he'd hurt Amy, just like he'd done when her prom date tried to hurt her. What an idiot. Still, his heart was in the right place. Sighing she put her head in her hand. He really needed to stop trying to save everyone.

Evan, however, seemed to be taking it rather poorly. Ryan was his friend, after all. He had to be upset that Drew had beaten him up--even if he might have deserved it. From what she could remember, Evan didn't like Drew much to begin with and this wasn't helping. Evan's whole body was rigid as she'd ever seen it. He even admitted that he was pissed. But he kept trying to bring things back to her--maybe to distract him.

It was sweet that he was trying so hard to keep things light, but his heart and his mind were in two different places. As much as she wanted to keep things on track, she knew neither of them would really feel right sticking around here.

"Well, because people thought I was weird. I was always turning stuff into art projects or making outlandish fashion statements." She shrugged. "I toned it down a lot once I got to high school, but they still remembered me as a freak. What's a girl to do?" she asked, smiling a little. "So, listen. I know you're worried about Ryan, and you're pissed at Drew. Maybe we should just finish dessert and pick up this conversation another time? Or am I off base?"

Evan sighed, shaking his head. He had all ready admitted to being mad, it was true, and it was hard to concentrate on what she was saying. All he could imagine was Drew's smug face as he decked Ryan in the face. He imagined Drew later laughing about how he constantly caused Sophie to be depressed, and finally got his chance to get at Evan for being a better man than him. There was the part of him that knew this whole scenario was ridiculous, and that it in Drew's situation, Evan would have likely done the same thing. However, all of Evan's distaste for Drew made it incredibly easy to ignore that fact.

Still, Evan didn't want to end this magnificent moment with Sophie. He knew he was ruining it by acting like he was, but he just could not calm himself down quick enough. "I'm sorry," Evan said. He took a bite of the desert, the delicious flavor serving to calm him down even in the slightest. He quickly followed it with another bite. Part of him wanted to tell Sophie about Ryan. About how Drew was actually far in the right for what he did. How Evan almost did it himself.

"It might be smart to continue this later. I just don't want to end this amazing moment with a girl like you on such a sour note."

Evan's last statement was an attempt at returning to his usual, flirty self. He noticed his voice still sounded strained, but to a much lesser extent. He was still pissed, obviously, but some of his light-heartiness had at least returned to his voice.

Sophie smiled at him, scooping up a little more dessert of her own. She understood, really. She didn't really disagree with what Drew had done, but he probably could have found a better way to deal with his anger. Evan, though, might not see it that way just now. And they'd been having such a good time, too. If it was a date, it was probably one of the best she'd ever been on. The place, the conversation, the food. Everything had been so right. And now this. Well, she supposed that was what she got for leaving her poor roomie alone.

Evan's attempt at flirting came off as genuine to Sophie, and despite the fact that she wanted to keep playing it cool, she couldn't stop herself from thinking he was. "Sweet of you to say," she said with a smile. "So let's end it on something sweet," she said, gesturing at the dessert which was nearly gone. "Don't forget--you did promise to come back here with me," she teased. He'd never made a promise, but he had asked her out again. Who knew? Maybe next time they'd have better luck.

Evan gave a small laugh and nodded. "Yes, let's." He dug into the dessert, making sure not to eat more then his fair of what was left. As he ate, his eye's never left Sophie. Despite his current mood, his eyes still seemed to wash over her, taking in the details. Her bronze skin, her brown hair; all of it came together in Evan's mind as the picture of perfection, something he couldn't believe would willingly sit across the booth from him.

A soft smile came to his lips. "Yeah, I'll bring you back here. I'll leave my phone in my room next time, too." He honestly couldn't wait. Another chance with this goddess? How could he pass that up?

When the dessert was finished, Evan looked at Sophie and let out a grin. "Wanna know the best thing about this place? Its my treat." With that, he got up and walked towards the front counter, not allowing for much time for her to respond. He met Kate at the front counter, which gave him a knowing grin. "Enjoy your date?" She asked. Evan only laughed and handed over his debit card.

Sophie kept eating until there was nothing left. She made sure Evan got his fair share too. Every now and then when she looked up, she'd notice him watching her. Was it because he was lost in thought? Or was he just interested in her? Hard to tell, she decided. She chuckled at his joke about leaving his phone behind and leaned back when they were all done. "So good," she said with a grin. And then he was off to pay. She was going to say that she didn't mind chipping in, but it was sweet that he was offering. "Well, well. Who'd have thought it would end up like this?" she said softly. She watched him pay and then gathered up their boxes and her purse, coming to stand beside him as Kate handed him his card back with a receipt.

"Thanks for dinner," she said with a grin. She looked at Kate and smiled, getting another wink in return. The artist chuckled and handed Evan his box so they could go back to the dorms together.

During the drive back, Evan remained quiet. He was constantly casting glances at Sophie, smiling slightly, before returning his eyes to the road. It wasn't that Evan was no longer angry or agitated about the situation with Sophie, it was simply that he wasn't focusing on it. However, he knew the moment he got away from Sophie it would be back to his angry self. He may even have to make a trip back to the gym to work out some of his aggression. Maybe if he was lucky he'd run into Drew. He doubted that, though.

When he pulled into the parking lot by his dorm, he stepped out of his car, looking back at Sophie. "Hold on," he said, before running around the car and opening her door for her. "They say chivalry is dead, but I like to do my part to prove them otherwise," he explained, with a slight laugh. Once she was out of the car, he locked the car up and started down the walkway back to her dorm. "So," he said. "I hope you actually enjoyed yourself and wasn't just saying that stuff to make me happy."

Amy snapped awake from her nap, sitting up and looking around. A quick look at her clock told her she hadn't slept through the night. She sat up, yawned and stretched, and blankly looked around the room. Where was Sophie? Oh, right. Going to see if she couldn't find something out about the situation with Ryan from Evan. Idly, Amy wondered how that was going. Sophie had been gone a while, so maybe that meant she actually found something out? She wouldn't know until Sophie got back.

The movie Drew had chosen was still playing on the TV, and Amy began to feel bad for running Drew out like she did. She hoped he understood. Sighing, she climbed out of bed, plodding over to her desk, before she sat down, opened the folder, and began working through the notes again. She was still groggy, but she knew she needed to get through these notes and really understand them. Otherwise, she would be in trouble.

As she studied, she idly ate at the popcorn still sitting on her desk, despite it now being cold.

Sophie hummed a little with the radio, but enjoyed the silence for the most part. It wasn't a heavy silence--just a light, companionable one. She was a little surprised when he opened her door for her and chuckled a little at his line about chivalry. Well, it could never be said that he wasn't a good date. She got out and slipped her arm through his, going along with the theme of chivalry.

"I did have fun. It was nice to see you again. And I learned about a new place that I love, and got free food out of it," she teased. "I always like spending time with you, Evan. We should do it more often." She walked along with him until they reached her dorm and then let him go. "So, call me sometime, okay? Don't be a stranger." With that, she leaned up and kissed him on the cheek.

Drew sighed as he woke up, his jaw feeling a little cold and numb. Ah, right, the ice pack. Groaning, he tossed it in the freezer box of his mini-fridge and looked in the mirror. There was a nasty bruise forming just off to the right of his chin, but it wasn't swollen, thanks to the ice. He saw that it was closer to evening now and he figured he should check in with Sophie. Briefly, he wondered if Ryan would have said anything about their fight to anyone. He kind of doubted it though. Still, he should let his friend know what was going on. Besides, she'd been out with Evan and he wanted to make sure she was okay. He didn't fully trust Evan with Sophie--not that he trusted a good majority of the guys she seemed to attract. He guessed it was that big brother instinct of his again.

Man that sure caused him some trouble. Sighing, he picked up his phone and started to text Sophie about what had happened and what he'd learned.

Evan was thrown a bit when she looped her arm through his, but he enjoyed it. "Way more often," Evan replied. "Is calling you the moment you get into your room too soon? I never know these things." His tone was joking, a smile planted firmly on his face. When Sophie kissed him on the cheek, however, Evan's blush was almost audible. His hand instinctively went to the back of his head, lightly scratching, while Evan looked away from Sophie. It was obvious he hadn't expected that, and he really wasn't sure how to respond at this point. Instead, he just stood there, blushing like a fool with his hand behind his head.

"Uh, well..." He finally said, looking back at her. Whatever he had been feeling before now was gone, Evan was now just pure nervousness. It was painfully obvious he hadn't been in a situation like this in forever, if ever.

Ryan sat in the campus nurses office, bandages covering some of the cuts. He was laying back in on a small couch, an ice pack resting on his chin. Evan hadn't replied for a while, and it was really ticking Ryan off, which was saying something considering how pissed he already was. Tonight was supposed to be an easy night of amazing sex and relaxation; Instead, Ryan got his ass handed to him in a fight by some pansy-ass bitch and his best friend wasn't replying, or seemed to care at all.

Worst of all, Jenny was gone, and Ryan was sure he wouldn't be getting anything out of her for a while. At least not until some of the bruising went down. Ryan silently swore if Drew had caused permanent damage to his face, he would kill the fucker. Kill him dead. Angrily, Ryan shot another text to Evan. 'where the fuck r u

Sophie liked that he just went with her. It was nice that they fell into sync so nicely. It was pretty clear, though, that she'd shattered the moment with her kiss to the cheek. Maybe she'd been reading too much into everything after all? He was blushing, but maybe that was just because he felt awkward. Or maybe he was just tongue tied? It was hard to tell with him just scratching his head like that. She held her leftover pizza in one hand, looking up at him a little since he was taller.

Why wasn't he saying anything? "Umm...You have to say something to me, because now I'm starting to feel stupid," she said with a chuckle. "Sorry if I crossed a line..."

Her phone buzzed in her purse to let her know she had a text, but she ignored it. Right now she was focused on the man in front of her.

Evan didn't feel his phone vibrating in his pocket, informing him of a text.

He looked at Sophie, and gave a smile. "Ah," he replied, and he found himself making a small step towards her. Evan wasn't even really sure what he was doing. His body was seemingly moving of its own accord; his hand moved from behind his head to gently resting behind Sophie's. He found himself leaning slightly down, bringing himself level with Sophie. His mind was churning, sending red flags in every which direction. What if HE was crossing the line? What if this ruined everything?

Still, Evan brought his lips to Sophie's; it was a quick kiss that lasted no more then a few moments. Evan's mind began screaming at this point, wondering exactly what the hell Evan thought he was doing. As Evan pulled away, his hand moved back behind his head. "Hope that cleared that up," he said nervously, following it with a small chuckle.

After a few minutes of looking at her notes, Amy finally just gave up. It wasn't that she couldn't understand this stuff, it was simply that she didn't care at the moment. She shoveled a bit more popcorn in her mouth, watching the movie as it came to an end. She didn't really understand what was going on, but it didn't bother her too much. After a few minutes, she got up and collected her phone, sending a text to Sophie, something she rarely ever did.

Hey, where are you?

Another buzz in her purse was ignored as Evan did something she would never have expected. She blushed softly as he leaned down for a kiss on the lips. She found herself kissing him back in something of a daze, smiling when he pulled away. "Yeah, I'd say things are pretty clear," she smiled and chuckled a little as he put his hand behind his head. He was just too much. "Well, I should get going. Thanks for...tonight," she said with a smile. "Call me sometime."

And then, the artist slowly wandered back into her dorm, somehow feeling lighter than she had before. Hands down--best date ever. She smiled all the way up to her room and even when she got to the door. She unlocked it and came in, kicking off her shoes, only to see Amy. "Oh, hey. Feeling any better?" she asked, taking off her purse and hanging it in her little clothes closet. She pulled her phone out and then stashed her pizza in the fridge.

"Uh, yeah. I will!" Evan was dreading the next few days. He knew exactly what he would be battling with: does he call her now, or is it too soon? Evan watched Sophie until she disappeared into her building, turning on the spot and walking back towards his dorm. He was in a sort of daze, still high from the moment, excited and happy all at the same time. Maybe he'd finally won Sophie away from Drew. Maybe she'd have the chance to be happy again. He could only hope.

Pulling out his phone, he saw the text from Ryan. 'my room' Evan replied simply, not wanting to lose his high. He knew he would have to go see Ryan eventually, and he would have to deal with this whole Drew situation. But for now, he wanted to wait until this feeling wore off before he got angry again.

Right now he was just too damn happy.

Amy turned as Sophie walked in, and she gave a very slight smile. "I just texted you, and yeah, I'm feeling slightly better." Amy moved back to her desk, sat down, and ate a few more pieces of the popcorn. "Find out anything from Evan?" she asked.

Part of her didn't really wanna know. She wasn't happy at the moment, but she wasn't sad either. She was just there, and she was afraid she'd lose this peaceful feeling if Sophie had found out something horrible.

Sophie was still on a little bit of a high herself as she checked her messages. One was, indeed, from Amy. The other was from Drew. She decided to put off looking at it until she talked to Amy though. "Sorry. I guess Ryan didn't talk to Evan about it at their match. He hopes you feel better, though. We went out for some pizza...and apparently, it morphed itself into a date," she said, a big goofy grin on her face. She was really happy that things had turned out the way they had. Maybe now she could finally just let go of Drew and Amy's thing and focus on what was happening between her and Evan.

"Anyway, I'm sorry I couldn't find anything out from him. I guess Drew took matters into his own hands though....hold on," she said, opening up her text from him. It included a very disgusting reason for breaking up with Amy, as well as an explanation for the jumping. "I guess he found out what really happened...right before he beat the snot out of your ex." She sighed and put her head in her hand. "Do you want specifics? Or do you just want to know whether or not it was your fault. Apparently, Drew asked and got the real answer."

"A date, huh," Amy said, cracking a big grin. It was nice someone was doing well in their dating life, even if it wasn't her. "You'll have to tell me about it, sometime," Amy continued. She knew Evan, but only vaguely. The thought of him and Sophie together was cute if nothing else; however, Amy quickly knew that if Sophie and Evan got serious Sophie would be in a perfect position to give Amy information on Ryan. Like what was happening with him, if there was a chance they'd get back together...

"Drew took matters into his own hands?" Amy asked, cocking her head to one side. Did he do what he said he would? Amy's hands flew to her mouth. "He didn't!" She said, suddenly jumping up from her chair. "Is Ryan all right? He didn't hurt him too bad did he!?" She stepped towards Sophie, frantic, when she heard that Drew had gotten the truth out of Ryan. "He knows why he left me?"

She stayed silent for a second, thoughtful. Did she really wanna know?

After a few seconds, Amy nodded. "Specifics."

"I can guarantee you that whenever Drew hurts someone else, he feels they truly deserve it. I don't know what happened to Ryan after Drew finished with him, but I can tell you what Ryan said." She sighed, knowing that this would be hard to hear. She didn't think the girl would take it very well--but then who would, really? "Brace yourself. It's a doozy. Apparently, Drew saw Ryan walking around with a girl--he wasn't sure who it was, but he didn't pay her much attention. He asked, knowing full well the answer, if Ryan was dating you. Ryan said, and I quote, 'Yeah, I WAS with Amy. She wasn't puttin' that sweet mouth around my dick enough, so I left the little bitch for someone who knows how to take care of a man.' This is what made Drew deck your ex, and frankly, if I'd been there I wouldn't have stopped him."

She looked up at her room mate, aware of the fact that she could have just said it was about the sex, but the more grotesque Ryan appeared to her now, the better. She needed to see the true nature of the man who left her. It might not give her peace, but she'd sure as shit stop blaming herself. The best thing Sophie could do now, was be there for Amy.

It took Amy a few seconds to actually get what Sophie had said. Her eyes grew wide, and she stared at Sophie, bewildered. HER Ryan would never say anything like that. He was sweet and understanding, a special person. He didn't mind if she just didn't feel like doing those things. Drew must have had the wrong Ryan, who also had recently broken up with an Amy. Amy tried to shake her head, tried to tell Sophie that Drew was lying, but she knew he wasn't. Slowly, everything clicked into place; the picture it painted was the exact opposite of what Amy wanted to see.

Since they got together, Ryan had constantly been pressuring her into sex. He was never around unless there was a chance he would get some. Lately, Amy had been incredibly stressed, and sex was the last thing on her to-do list; she remembered noticing how frustrated Ryan was getting over it, despite him saying he didn't mind. If he was with some girl, it was probably one of the many women that he talked to on a daily basis, when he thought Amy wasn't around. Until she was reassured otherwise, Amy had even began to think that Ryan was cheating on her. Now she began to wonder if had really had been cheating on her.

Amy was confused more then anything. Grief over the fact she lost Ryan to something that was her fault, however justified, swelled up. Before it could pour out, however, it was blocked by her anger; anger that he would say something like that. Anger that he had immediately found another woman. Anger that he had most likely been cheating. Anger at herself for being so trusting.

"I -- I...don't..." Was all she could manage to get out.

Sophie put down her phone and looked up at the blonde. She could see the emotions mixing in her eyes. She knew what was happening. She'd experienced something like it when Drew had unknowingly rejected her. She'd been crushed that she meant so little to him when he meant so much to her. Then she'd been angry that she'd wasted all her time on someone who didn't even feel the same way. Finally, she was just tired. Tired of being hurt all the time. And she was tired now too. But also, a little angry.

She nodded in response to the half sentence the girl started. "I know." She stood up and sighed softly. Well, so much for the feelings that lovely date had left her with. "Wanna go punch something? Drew pretty much took out your ex, but I know a gym that's open late. Or we could stay here. Up to you," she said with a shrug, taking down her now dry clothes. She folded them up and put them in her hamper before clicking on their scentsy wax melter so some of the smell would go away. She put away her drying wrack and let their fan rotate normally now.

"Yeah," Amy said, looking away, her face falling into an angry expression. "I do want to go punch something."

Evan had finally given in to Ryan, and as he stepped into his friend's room, he sighed. Ryan was lying on his bed, an ice pack still planted firmly on his face. "You look like shit," Evan said, giving a small snicker. "Fuck you," came the reply from Ryan, and Evan made his way to Ryan's desk, sitting down in the chair. Ryan was one of the few lucky college students that got a room with no roommate, so he was free to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. It was probably why the room smelled distinctly of weed.

"So what happened?" Evan asked after a few minutes of silence. "The fucker just jumped me. You said you knew who he was. Who the hell am I gonna kill?" Evan shook his head. "Remember that guy I told you I hated because he was causing problems for someone important to me? Its that guy."

"I got my ass handed to me by the guy some girl was ignoring you for? What the fuck."

"That guy is into Amy, the girl you dumped. Apparently he is really into her."

"Fuck him," Ryan replied, removing the ice pack from his face and throwing it to the ground. "You see that little bitch before I do, you beat the hell out of him, you got it?"

Evan was silent for a moment. He knew Sophie wouldn't like it if he laid a finger on Drew, and things with Sophie had suddenly taken a drastic jump upward. Still, Drew had caused both Sophie AND his best friend troubles. He just had to ignore the fact his best friend deserved it. Could Sophie ignore that, though? After a few minutes of silence, Evan nodded.

"Yeah, man. What are friends for?"

Sophie smiled and gave Amy a pat on the shoulder. "'Atta girl. Get your shoes and some work out clothes." And with that, she put on some of her own and left with Amy to go boxing.

Drew paced back and forth. Just what was taking Sophie so long to get back to him? Maybe she just didn't know what to say. Maybe she'd told Amy and Amy was taking it poorly. Shit. Why hadn't he thought of that? "Damnit. I'm such a fucking idiot," she said, putting his hand on his head. Groaning, he pulled his shoes back on and then headed out. He would just go there and see what was happening...but if she wasn't answering her texts, maybe she didn't want to talk to him? What if she was mad at him for fighting Ryan? But why? It wasn't like she even liked the guy.

Or maybe Amy was mad and Sophie was talking her down. And he was getting dizzy from all the thinking he was doing. Maybe he would just take a long walk. He was worried about a lot and needed to clear his head. Yeah. A walk was what he needed. So he decided to take a long walk around campus.

Evan was on his way back from Ryan's room. Ryan had passed out not long after their conversation; Evan guessed some form of pain medicine had finally kicked in. Still, Ryan had been sure to go over all the things he would do to Drew if he ever got his hands on him. Evan had remained quiet, not really listening to what Ryan was saying. He was silently wondering how Sophie was dealing with this situation. He hoped she was laying into Drew and telling him what a piece of trash he was. That would make Evan feel good.

Evan continued on his way to his room, when he noticed Drew walking a little ways away from him. Even remembered his promise to Ryan to beat the tar out of him the moment he saw him, but he also remembered Drew was Sophie's friend. And he couldn't quite get the feeling of that kiss out his head. Still, he found himself adjusting his path home in a way that would cause him to cross roads with Drew.

Drew was pretty lost in thought, despite the fact that he was trying to forget about his troubles. He couldn't shake the feeling that he'd royally fucked up by beating up Ryan...but at the same time, he couldn't help but feel justified. Just because Ryan was a fucking asshole didn't give him the right to wail on the guy. Amy had specifically asked him not to. But that was before she'd known what Ryan's reasons really were.

Gah! It had been the crying that had pushed him over the edge. He might have been able to walk away from the fight if Amy hadn't cried into his shoulder. "Damnit," he muttered. What was a guy supposed to do when a woman started crying like that? He already didn't think much of the guy, and when he was walking around with a girl who'd obviously been interested or even involved with him before all this, it didn't help. Add to that the way he talked about Amy and the sonofabitch had it coming.

But that wasn't good enough of a reason, was it?

These thoughts kept circling in his head, his heart uneasy and his stomach slowly tying itself into knots. He took absolutely no notice of Evan whatsoever. Short of running into the guy, he probably wouldn't.

Back
Top Bottom