Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's giving me a complex (Candira and Agnores)

Candira

Singularity
Drew had it bad. He simply couldn't get her off his mind. Since she'd asked him to borrow his notes, he couldn't stop thinking about her. Amy had been his secret crush for about as long as he'd been in college. She was beautiful and smart, and she was always cheerful. The only problem was that boyfriend of hers. Of course, he wouldn't dream of stealing her away--she always seemed so happy when she talked about him. He'd never met the guy, but he liked to imagine that he was undeserving of such a great girl.

Sighing, he ran a hand through his dark blonde hair. His bright green eyes struggled to keep focused on the lecturing professor instead of the girl he wanted more than anything right now. And he'd noticed recently that she was looking kind of sad and unfocused herself. He wondered if something was bothering her because she kept asking for his notes.

Sophie was having a blast. They were studying sixties art, and frankly, the practice of it was way more fun than it sounded. Currently, they had little water balloons filled with paint, each attached to a large canvas. Armed with darts, the students were carefully selecting colors to let explode and drip into the art piece they were creating. Evan would get a kick out of this--Drew would be amused too. She laughed and screamed as a dart flew past her head and burst a balloon full of neon pink paint, splattering her and several classmates.

So it was that the paint fiasco of 2013 began. Darts were flying everywhere, people were chasing each other with bottles of paint, and more paint was getting on people than the canvases. At this point, campus security would need to be called to break the whole thing up. Drenched in paint and laughing her ass off, Sophie managed to find her professor in the mess.

"I loved it, but I think I need to leave before I get hurt or completely turn purple or something." When the professor let her go, she made her way back toward her dorm, wondering how to explain her appearance to others. Her golden skin was covered in bright neon paints, her chocolate brown hair was splattered, and her clothes would have to be replaced for sure. Then again, she'd chosen old stuff anyway. Maybe she'd just keep it. They would have to dry, though. Her roommate probably wouldn't like it much, but she'd have to deal.

Amy wasn't sure what was going on. Drew's notes were scattered all over her desk, her hand quickly scribbling random tidbits in no particular order into her notebook. She wasn't even sure what class she was in at the moment. The teacher was talking, but she wasn't listening to him. The teacher's voice was someone else's, someone Amy had thought she had been very close to. Someone who hadn't felt the same way, apparently. Someone who had left her.

Amy was devastated. Her bright blonde hair was messy, her make-up smeared. Her green eyes were gave off an impression she was somewhere else. She shouldn't be in this class. She couldn't think, couldn't concentrate. Sighing to her self, she passed Drew back his notes with a silent thank you, grabbed her bags, and nearly ran out of the room. It was a long walk back to her dorm, and if she was lucky, Sophie wouldn't be there. She would get time to herself.

Racquetball was something that Evan loved. It was fast paced, simple, and had that slight hint of danger. Evan loved it. The brown-haired Evan jumped around the court, smashing his racket into the ball, causing it to crash into the wall across from him. It wasn't until Ryan stepped in, racket in hand, did Evan miss the ball, getting pegged in the shin and falling over. He let out a long string of curses.

Ryan only laughed. "Good job, mate," he said, helping Evan up after Evan had ceased cursing. "Fuck you," Evan replied, his hazel eyes set with an angry glare. Ryan sauntered over and picked up the ball, tossing it back to Evan. "So, I left Amy today."

Evan wasted no time in serving the ball. "Really?" Evan said. "You guys were together forever."

Ryan easily returned the serve, and soon, the two were smashing the ball just as hard and fast as Evan had been earlier. "Yeah, man," Ryan said, "But she was just getting too into her studies." The ball wizzed past his head, and he did not return it in time. "Damn," he cursed, shaking his head. As Evan ran after the ball, Ryan continued.

"She wasn't into having fun anymore," Ryan said, giving exaggerated pelvic thrusts to ensure his meaning was sent. Evan laughed, shaking his head as he served the ball. "You're an ass," Evan said.

"At least I had a woman," Ryan replied.

"You're dead!" Evan roared back in responce, stepping up his game one hundred fold.

Something was obviously wrong. Amy usually never had trouble focusing, and it would have been clear to a blind man that she was sad. When she gave him his notes back he blinked and nodded. "Any time..." And then she practically ran out of the room. Drew frowned, wanting to go after her. Whatever was bothering her, she probably shouldn't be alone...but then, that's probably what she wanted if she was leaving. Deciding that he should try his best to pay attention for her, he focused in on the lecture, taking detailed notes so that he could explain anything about which she might be confused.

Even if he couldn't be a shoulder for her to cry on or make the tears stop, he could do this much for her. Amy was special, and she didn't deserve this kind of pain. Though he didn't know what this was all about, he desperately wanted to be there for her. He'd have to talk to Sophie about all this and see if he could learn anything else. Maybe she'd have some ideas for cheering the girl up?

Sophie was, unfortunately, in the room when Amy returned. By this time, she'd gotten the paint off of her person; the only remaining stuff was making her clothes more interesting. She had her jeans and shirt hanging on a drying wrack she used for projects. It was set up next to their fan and was almost dry. The artist had just finished blowing out her hair and styling it again when Amy entered their shared space. Though she wasn't really fond of the girl, she could tell something was wrong the minute she came in. For one thing--her class wasn't quite over yet. For another, she looked kind of like a mess.

"Hey," she said, putting her stuff away. "Get out of class early?" she asked, putting the finishing touches on her very light layer of make up. As a rule, Sophie tried not to make eye-contact unless they were actually having a conversation, but even she could see that Amy was going through something rough. Granted, living with the girl was mostly a bummer because Drew couldn't stop fawning over her, Sophie wasn't made of stone. If Amy didn't bring it up, she would definitely ask what was wrong.

As it was, she was home a bit early from her art class, dressed in a pair of college sweats and a pretty t-shirt instead of what she'd left wearing. Maybe that would come up first. Who knew?

"I...yeah," Amy stammered, something that she usually didn't do. Her room smelled of paint, and Amy quickly located the source: Sophie's paint covered clothes drying on the rack Sophie owned. Amy just dropped her stuff on the bed, turning and sitting at her desk, letting her head fall into her arms. The paint smell was driving her crazy, and she wished more then anything that Sophie hadn't have been here. She wanted to break down, cry, yell, and scream; Sophie's presence made that impossible.

After a few seconds, Amy raised her head and looked back at Sophie. "Why...are your clothes covered in paint?" Amy's voice was strained, her disinterest and depression apparent. It was obvious she was making avoiding what was bothering her, and it was obvious she wasn't in the place to do so.

Evan trekked across the campus courtyard, heading back to his dorm-room. The walk from the racquetball court wasn't a long one, but Ryan had worn Evan out. It seemed as if he was walking miles uphill, despite it being quite the opposite. As he walked, Evan looked about, idly checking the crowds and people for someone he knew. If he was going to walk uphill, he thought, at least he could have some company.

There was no one important about, at least that Evan saw. Sighing to himself, his thoughts returned to his and Ryan's conversation a few minutes ago. Ryan had left Amy because she had stopped putting out as often, a fact that bothered Evan. It wasn't a proper reason to leave someone, Evan thought, and it pissed him off to think anyone could be so shallow. Still, Ryan was his friend, so Evan had kept his thoughts mostly to himself. He just played extra hard, evident in the fact the game only lasted a couple of minutes before both boys were worn out. Evan idly wondered if that had been symbolism for something else.

For Ryan, that is.

Sophie sighed softly. So that's how she wanted it, huh? "You know. If something's bothering you, you can tell me. I can't guarantee it will help or anything, but if you feel the need..." she shrugged and grabbed a sierra mist out of the mini fridge they shared, setting it down on the girl's desk. "Sorry about the paint. We were going into 60s art and different techniques. One thing led to another and it turned into a paint fight," she said with a little chuckle. "It might have been okay if it weren't for all the darts flying around. Once the paint is dry, I'll find a way to take care of the smell."

"Anyway, if you won't tell me what's wrong, I suppose I could leave for awhile. But you really shouldn't hold stuff like that in."

Once class was over, Drew decided to head to the library. He could make copies of his notes for Amy. Or maybe he should scan them and send them to her email? Or was that too impersonal? Frowning, he decided he could always do both. Maybe he ought to call Sophie while he was at it. She lived with Amy, so maybe she could tell him what was up. Or maybe he could just drop by for a surprise visit? Yeah, and he could bring those copies with him since Amy had left early. Then he could casually ask why she was ....

And now he was just being stupid. He didn't need to be so damn sneaky about it, did he? He would just go with the notes and explain that he was a little worried, and ask Amy herself. Maybe she just wanted to be alone, but he didn't have to stay long if she didn't want him there. Nodding, he stood up a little straighter and walked a little faster to the library.

Amy looked at the Sierra Mist, silent. It was like the tide breaking over the damn when Sophie mentioned not holding anything in; Amy seemed to explode into sobs, her head falling into her hands, her whole body shaking with each sob. Through her sobs, the words "Ryan left me," could be heard. Amy tried to tell Sophie the rest of the story, but it was lost in her tears, her sobs drowning out any words that may have attempted to escape.

It was no secret that Amy and Ryan had been together for a long time, especially compared to today's standards. Three years and counting! As far as anyone knew, even Amy, they were happy. The break-up had blind-sided Amy, and the way Ryan had conducted it had made her think he had been planning it for a while. He had been quick, to the point; he left before she had any time to object. Why had she done that had drove him away? Was she mean to him? Did she forget something important?

The poor girl couldn't voice her concerns; she could only sob into her hands.

Frowning, Sophie put a hand on Amy's shoulder. "Hey, now. You'll be okay." She sat down in the chair next to Amy's and gently rubbed the girl's back. Breakups were always rough, but even she knew how long Ryan had been with her. After so long, they were breaking it off now? No wonder the girl was upset. Then again, she hadn't ever really liked Ryan that much. He was a decent guy, but something about him was just so....smarmy. It wasn't really that much of a surprise that Ryan had been the one to end things, but it was kind of out of left field.

Of the many topics surrounding Amy that Drew droned on about, she had to agree with him about Ryan. He didn't really seem deserving enough to have someone like Amy. She wasn't a bad person at all. Really Sophie's somewhat intense distaste for the girl came from the fact that Drew liked her so much. She wasn't above jealousy when his obvious preference for the girl was constantly rubbed in her face. Living with her was a little bit like a nightmare sometimes, but it wasn't because she was mean or rude or anything. It was because she was so damn nice. Sighing, the artist wondered what Amy would do if she knew about Drew's crush.

"Tell you what. You cry some more. I'll get you some tissues, and when you calm down a little, you can tell me what's going on, kay?" With that she gave Amy's shoulder a squeeze and went to grab the box of tissues off the top of their mini-fridge/nightstand.

Amy turned and let her head fall back onto her arms on the desk, sobbing away. It wasn't until she noticed the tissues nearby that she roused up, and her sobs began to subside, dwindle down. The logical side of Amy kicked in, and she knew she had to keep at least some of her feelings down. She couldn't just cry. That wouldn't make her feel better. She took a tissue, blew her nose, and threw it away. Wiping her eyes (and trying to clean up the smeared make-up) with another tissue she slowly turned to Sophie.

"It...I don't understand," she said, her voice shaky. "We...we met at the student center, just like normal, before he went to play racquetball with his friend, Evan. He just looked at me..." Her voice broke, and she gave a short sob. However, she pushed it back down, shook her head, and blew her nose on another tissue. "He just looked at me and said its over, go see someone else, and...walked away."

She let another sob out, letting her head hang and her hair cascade down around her. "What did I do? I mean...I know we haven't been...doing things as much as he liked...but...he'd never leave me for that..." When she looked back up, she seemed bewildered. "Am I not pretty enough anymore? What did I do that was worth ending a three year relationship!?" Anger tinged her voice at her last statement.

That Ryan would be so flippant in a moment like that actually pissed Sophie off. "What a louse." Disgusted, she walked to her dresser and pulled out a make-up removal wipe and came back to Amy's side, cleaning off all the make up for her. "Trust, me, honey. Now is not the time for make up. Now is the time for Kleenex and pajamas." She sighed and tossed the wipe away when she was done. "Drink some of that Sierra Mist. It'll help a little with your throat." Now that she knew the story, she couldn't very well leave Amy alone. She was still in the denial and sadness phase. If this kept up, the poor girl would find a way to blame herself.

"Listen, if it happened the way you said it did, then I have to think something is wrong with him--not you. And don't start on the 'I'm not pretty enough,' jag, or I will have to slap you. You're beautiful--and that's coming from an art major. Of course at the moment you're a bit of a mess, but that'll go away." She smiled softly and sat down next to Amy. "There is nothing wrong with you, okay? Ryan is an idiot. Frankly, I've always gotten that impression. If I were in your shoes, I'd be pissed because I'd wasted my time and didn't get to end it myself."

Rolling her eyes, she crossed her legs. "Personally, I think you dodged a bullet."

Amy gave a sad chuckle as Sophie helped her clean off the rest of the make-up. As Sophie talked, Amy slowly got a hold of herself. The logical girl inside of her began agreeing with Sophie: Since they had been together, Amy had done nearly ALL of Ryan's homework. Ryan never paid attention in class, and never participated in any discussions that weren't about cars, sports, alcohol, or women. He WAS an idiot. Maybe Sophie was right, maybe she did dodge a bullet. A big one, at that.

"Thanks, Sophie," Amy said, using one last tissue to wipe away some of the last tears. "I guess you are right." She gave a sad smile and looked away. After her cry, Amy felt better. She felt good enough that she could at least distract herself and have a good time. In fact, it was probably the smart thing to do. She obviously wasn't happy, but she didn't have to focus on it.

"A time for Kleenex and pajamas, huh?" She said after a few seconds, looking back at Sophie. "Sounds fun. I just realized I haven't really ever hung out with you. First time for everything, I guess," she said, giving another sad chuckle. It was true. She had never thought she was on unfriendly terms with Sophie, but she had never considered her a friend. Amy let out a sigh. "Don't know how much fun I'll be, but I'm gonna try to not let this whole thing bring me down. I'm okay for right now."

"Glad to hear it. Now, go wash your face and finish up your soda, kay? You can pick any of the many movies I brought with me to watch." She smiled softly and then got up. "Pajamas are the comfiest of all comfort clothes. That is why I suggest them. But if you're down with sweats until bed, they are also a good choice. I think we may have some fudge pops left in the freezer too, so make sure you have one of those if you need it."

Now that she wasn't repressing her emotions or bawling her eyes out, Amy seemed like she would be okay after all. That was a relief. The cute blonde was a little tougher than she looked, and Sophie could be big enough to admire that. "And you're not obligated to be fun. The only thing you can't do is blame yourself, got it?" That said, the artist pulled on some socks and thought seriously about ordering out.

But even though she was down for being supportive and such, she wasn't really sure she wanted to stick around for the whole night with the woman. After all, her feelings toward the girl were complicated enough as it was.

When Amy left to wash her face, there was a knock on their door.

Drew happened to be waiting on the other side. He greeted his friend with a smile. "Hey there, Soph. How are you?" He was greeted with a smile and a hug, like usual. When she told him about the paint fight and showed him her clothes, he had to laugh with her about it. "Well, I'm glad you're not riddled with dart injuries," he said with a smile. He looked around and didn't see Amy though. Maybe she hadn't come back to the dorm?

"Hey, Sophie. Is something wrong with Amy? She looked kind of sad and unfocused today in class. She left early, too. I was a little worried, so I brought her some notes that she missed."

Of course it was about Amy. Why would he come by just for her. "Yeah, she's having a rough time right now. It's not really my story to tell, but she's around. I think she just went to wash her face or something. Make yourself at home. I'm sure she'll be glad you dropped those off."

Amy had forgotten about the Sierra Mist. She opened it, took a long swig, then set it down. "All right," she said. "I'll go...uh, get dressed." She let out a giggle. For some reason, it sounded strange to say she was getting dressed while getting into pajamas. "Fudge pops sound good. I'll have one when I am changed," she added as she stood, making her way to the bathroom. As she did so, she grabbed her pajamas, which consisted of a t-shirt and pajama pants.

She shut the bathroom door behind her, leaning against it as she did so. She could feel the grief inside of her, and she knew part of her didn't quite believe the break up wasn't her fault. She let out a long, sad sigh, and pushed herself off the door. She approached her clothes hamper, pulling off her shirt, throwing it inside. Her bra followed shortly after, causing Amy to let out a sigh of relief. Despite being rather small in the breast department, Amy hated bras. They were uncomfortable, and she didn't feel she had the boobs to call for them. At least she dodged the back problems, she thought to herself.

She slid out of her jeans, tossing them into the hamper and replacing them with her pajama pants. She slid the old t-shirt on, smiling at the faded pooh bear that adored it. Despite being an old shirt, it still hid what figure she did have; the shirt had always been too big for her. She then sat to work washing her face, getting all the make-up off.

She felt strange. She was terribly sad, and depressed; at the same time, however, she was elated. She was finally getting the chance to connect with her roommate, something that hadn't happened in all the time she had been here. Tonight may be a good night after all, Amy thought. When she shut off the water, making one last check to ensure she got all the make-up off, she heard a male voice coming from her room.

She couldn't make out what was being said, or who the voice belonged to, but she suddenly became hopeful it was Ryan, coming to take her back. When she realized where her mind had gone, Amy broke down again, sobbing as quietly as she could into the sink.

In the main room, drew had sat down on the couch with another Sierra Mist. Sophie sat with him, telling him more about the art class fiasco when she heard something from the bathroom. Drew, however seemed pretty oblivious. She finished her story and then handed him the remote. "No sports," she said firmly, before getting up to knock on the door.

"Amy? You decent?" she asked, cracking the door a little. When she saw Amy sobbing into the sink she slipped in and closed the door behind her. "Thinking about Ryan?" she asked, suddenly a little annoyed. She clearly wasn't seeing things for what they were yet. The only way to do that, she supposed, was to prove that Ryan was the one being a jerk. While Amy was sobbing, Sophie turned the water flow up and shook her head. "That's enough, now," she said softly. "Drew is here. He brought you notes from class. He was worried when you left early, so he wanted to come check on you. Is it okay if I leave you two here? I want to have a little talk with Evan about all this. He's the one Ryan was playing with, right?"

Sophie's presence calmed Amy, and slowly she brought herself back to normal. "Sorry," said, and nodded in answer to Sophie's question. "Yeah, they always play racquetball together," Amy said. Amy gave a sigh, but her expression became determined. She would not cry again today. Especially not around people she didn't know as well, like Drew. After a few seconds, she looked at Sophie. "If you are going to talk to Evan, shouldn't I come with you? Maybe he knows why Ryan did all of this."

She knew it was a dumb question, that she was better off heading back outside, finishing her soda, eating a fudge pop, and reading over the notes Drew brought over. Some part of her wanted Sophie to bring her along, so she could hear what Evan knew. At the same time, she wanted to just stay here, hidden away from Ryan and his friends, so that she never knew the truth. For some reason, it scared her to think Ryan left her because she was no longer attractive, or she wasn't smart enough. She'd rather just not know if that was the case.

Sophie shook her head. "Nope. You're staying here. You'll be fine with Drew. He's a good guy. He'll listen if you want to talk, or he'll try and take your mind off of things if you want a distraction." Evan probably knew why Ryan had decided to break up with Amy. Ryan seemed like the type to make announcements like that. It wasn't that he was an irredeemable jerk--just that he wasn't ready or mature enough to handle a real relationship. And he was kind of an idiot. And if Sophie left to talk to Evan, she wouldn't have to hang around while Drew mooned over Amy and Amy tried to be strong about this whole thing.

"I'll find out what it is and let you know. I'll text you to let you know what emotion you should be feeling once I find out. Anyway, you're in a delicate state. It's much nicer in here right now than out there." She smiled softly and handed the girl her towel. "Clean up, and I'll be back later."

With that, she squeezed out of the bathroom and told Drew she'd be leaving. "I'm gonna go talk to Evan for awhile. Keep her company, kay? Find something good to watch. I'm not sure how long I'll be."

"Sure, no problem. Is everything okay? Did Evan do something to upset her?" Drew asked, suddenly suspicious of the guy. If he was bothering Amy...the guy was in for a world of hurt. And what made it worse was that Amy and Evan were supposed to be friends!

"No, nothing's going on between those two. I'm sure she'll fill you in when she comes out," Sophie replied, slipping into her sneakers. As she grabbed her purse she checked her phone and saw no one had called. How sad. "Anyway, I'm off. Remind her of the fudge pops." And away she went, leaving Drew to wonder what was going on and how to handle Amy's situation.

He frowned and thought about it for a bit. What did he like when he was feeling down? Well, he liked to play video games. Amy didn't seem the type though. What else? Ice cream was always a good thing. Maybe a movie would help her take her mind off of things. Sophie had plenty to pick from, but maybe Amy had a standby for this kind of thing...

As Drew pondered over his options, Sophie dialed Evan's number. She waited for him to answer as she exited the dorm, looking around. Maybe she could get him to have some pizza with her so she could put off the inevitable return.

Amy lingered in the bathroom, suddenly aware how naked she was. She considered putting on her regular clothes again, now that Sophie was leaving, but she decided against it. Amy wasn't feeling the best right now, so Drew would have to deal if she didn't dress her best, or all that appropriately. She did spend time combing her hair and drying her eyes, making sure she didn't look a TOTAL mess when she slipped out.

After what must have seemed like forever to Drew, Amy stepped out of the bathroom, and gave him a small smile. "Hiya," she said, trying her best to hide her feelings. She walked over to her desk, grabbing her soda and taking a swig. "I heard you brought me some notes?" she asked, glancing back at him as she made her way back across the room to the mini fridge, taking out a fudge pop. "Would you like one?" She queried.

Evan sat back on his bed, completely absorbed into his television. He was watching cartoons from the 90s, a guilty pleasure of his, and almost didn't notice his phone going off. He sat up, reaching out for it and checking who was calling. The number was Sophie's, that cute girl that Ryan's ex-girlfriend lived with. He smiled, his mind running to a million different fantasies of what this could be. He had always been attracted to Sophie, but knew she had no mind for him. She was too hung up on that Drew douche, which boggled Evan. Why pay attention to someone who didn't return the favor?

Evan answered the call, putting the phone up to his ear. "Hello?" he answered.

Drew smiled at Amy as she came out of the bathroom. Her choice of clothing was...interesting, but he chose not to comment. After all, that would be pretty presumptuous of him, wouldn't it? "Yeah. Sorry if it's a bad time, but I was a little worried. It's not like you to leave early..." He shrugged and pulled a paper folder out of his backpack. "I thought you might want the notes. These are pretty detailed, so you should be okay." He got up, ready to give her the folder when she offered him a fudge pop. "Uh...sure. Thanks." He smiled and went to set the notes down on her desk.

"So, I hope you don't mind my asking you this. You don't have to answer me, but I have to ask. What's wrong?" He watched her, green eyes locked on hers. He could tell she'd been crying which was really eating at him. But he didn't really want to bring that up at the moment. He just wanted to know if there was anything he could do to help her. After all, it wasn't every day he got to spend time alone with the girl of his dreams.

When Evan answered his phone, Sophie smiled. Yup, she still loved the sound of his voice. Sophie'd always enjoyed his company--particularly when Drew was bumming her out with his unrequited love. Of course, she felt kind of bad for bringing it up so much, but the universe had played one hell of a trick on her when she'd been assigned the same dorm as Amy. Her own confession of her feelings for Drew had been cut off when Drew told her that he was in love with Amy. It had been painful, but she could accept that he didn't want her. What she couldn't accept was how he went on and on about it. He had no idea how painful and down right annoying it was, and she couldn't just tell him now. Well, whatever, she had other things to deal with.

"Hey, it's Sophie. I need to talk to you. Would you want to hang out with me for awhile?"

Amy handed over a fudge pop, opening hers and sucking on it slowly, holding it with her mouth. She moved over to her desk, sitting down and opening up the folder, scanning over Drew's notes. "I would miss Discrete Mathematics," she muttered to herself, shaking her head. She finally looked up at Drew, realizing he had asked her a question and she hadn't answered it. "It's...nothing. Ryan left me. I really don't want to talk about it," Amy replied, giving a fake smile and turning back to the notes.

"Why would I miss this stuff?" She asked to no one in particular after a few minutes, shutting the folder. She turned back to Drew, sighing. "Should have stayed in class," she said. Shaking her head, she stood up and stretched, then smiled at Drew. "So, what would you like to do? Other then talk about my problems or class, of course."

Evan smiled. "Who wouldn't want to hang out with you?" He chimed, giving a small chuckle. The only time Evan wouldn't be willing to hang out with Sophie was when she was going on about Drew. He had long since had his fill on learning about how he hurt Sophie, and wanted nothing more then to deck the stupid asshole in the face. The only thing stopping him was the fact he never saw Drew, and it would possibly ruin any chances he had with Sophie. If only Sophie could see that Drew wasn't worth it, then she'd be a lot happier.

If not her, Evan sure would be. "What did you want to talk about?" Evan asked, suddenly worried. Maybe she DID want to talk about Drew. All he needed was more reason to beat the shit out of the guy, he thought.

"Good question. I am pretty awesome." She smiled, enjoying the way they could play around. He knew she wasn't actually that full of herself, and she knew he'd go along with it. When he asked her what it was about, though, she sighed. "Actually, it's about Amy," she said with a frown. "She said the loser that dumped her was playing racquet ball with you today after he dumped her. Apparently it took two sentences. The poor thing has been crying and blaming herself, even though we both know it wasn't her fault." The mere memory of Amy sobbing and questioning all her good qualities was enough to make her sick with anger. Though the blond had never been her favorite person, nobody deserved to feel so low.

"Anyway, I was hoping maybe you could shed some light on the subject. Also, I need to get out because my dorm smells an awful lot like paint and I think the fumes might be getting to me." She chuckled and looked around again. "Meet me outside my dorm?"

Drew could practically feel his jaw hitting the floor. Ryan had left her? What kind of an idiot would do that?! Quickly, he shut his mouth and busied it with the ice cream she gave him. He wanted to ask more, but he recognized that look in her eyes. She was close enough to tears as it was. Why would he want to add to that feeling? "No problem." He watched her look over the notes, eating his ice cream and wondering if now was the time to tell her he liked her.

Obviously, it wasn't. She was in no state to be confronted like that. Besides, he didn't want to come across like an opportunist. She was vulnerable and taking advantage of that wasn't right. It was tempting, but it wasn't right. Sighing, he sat back down on the futon and looked up at her. Even in baggy pajamas and after crying she was so pretty. Amy deserved better than Ryan. And she deserved to be wooed.

"Well, let's do something that doesn't remind you of either. We could play a game or watch a movie if you want." He smiled and offered her his full attention, hoping he could be the kind of person she could lean on.

Amy looked at the plastic totes under her bed, thinking quietly. "A game? Like Checkers or Scrabble?" She was thinking of the board games she had stored away under her bed, before it struck her he probably referring to a video game. The only game console in the room belonged to Sophie, and while Amy did enjoy playing it occasionally, she didn't feel exactly up to it. "A movie is fine. I'm sure you don't want to watch a total chick flick though," she teased, with a small laugh. "So you tell me what you want to watch, and I'll throw it in."

Amy's mood had changed. It wasn't that she was suddenly happy or cheerful, it was just that her sadness had simply stopped showing. It was obvious to anyone with half a brain it was still there, but Amy was acting much closer to her usual self, much more cheerful and bright. After putting in Drew's choice of movie, she sat on the futon next to him, before suddenly looking over at her microwave. "Maybe I should make some popcorn?" she mused aloud. Hopefully Sophie wouldn't mind if she borrowed a bag or two.

"Yeah, he told me about that," Evan said, flashing back to his racquetball game. "So she's really torn up about it? That's no good." Evan remembered how nonchalant Ryan had been. Ryan was his friend, but Evan had to agree with Sophie, loser was an appropriate word for him at the moment. If what Sophie was saying was true, then Ryan couldn't care less that he hurt Amy so bad. While Evan had no particularly strong feelings for or against Amy, he hated hearing about how one person had caused another pain. Call him an idealist, but it always rubbed him the wrong way.

"Yeah," he said after a few seconds pause, "I can try. He didn't tell me much." After hearing her comment about paint fumes, he laughed. "I get to hang out with you AND you might be high? Damn, this might be my lucky day! I'll be there in a few minutes," he said, hanging up the phone after the usual 'see-yas'. Evan threw on his shoes and socks, gave himself a light dusting of cologne, and walked out the door. All the while he was trying to figure out exactly how to describe what Ryan had told him without making Ryan out to be a total dickwad. After all, Ryan WAS his friend.

Drew chuckled. "I like Banana-grams better. I was thinking a video game though," he said as he practically saw her realize what he'd meant. He smiled when she agreed to a movie. "I could put up with a chick flick if you really wanted to watch it. I'm a lit major, so I have to be able to find the good in all things," he said with a wink. When she decided to let him pick, he shrugged and went to Sophie's collection. "Hmm...what's a good one for us to watch," he wondered aloud. Sophie had a lot of movies with romance in them--it was kind of hard to get a movie that had absolutely none in it. After a little bit of searching, though, he found "The adventures of Tintin" and it seemed perfect. It was a little bit of a mystery, had comedy and action, and there was no romance there.

He plopped down next to her and finished off his fudge pop. She put in the movie and he noticed she sat next to him while giving him some space. Even though he wanted to scoot closer, he stayed where he was. Her offer to make popcorn made him smile. "Well, it's not a movie without popcorn. I can make it if you want," he said, feeling a little rude for asking for it. "If Sophie complains, just tell her I'll pay her back, okay?"

The artist was glad that Evan seemed to be on the same page with her. She was aware that Ryan was friends with Evan, but times like these called for a little bit of name-calling. Ryan had acted like a jerk from what she knew, and the fact that Evan didn't like it spoke volumes about his character. She laughed with him about being high and let him go shortly after. Yeah, he was a nice guy. She'd have to hang out with him more often.

When she saw him a little way down from the sidewalk, she waved and headed over to meet him. True to his word, it had only taken him a few minutes. "Hi handsome," she teased, smiling up at him. He was a little taller, but she kind of liked that she had to look up at him now and then.

Amy had never seen "The Adventures of Tintin," so she thought it was a great choice. She had no idea what it was about, but she silently hoped it was more of a comedy then anything else. She could use with a few laughs right about now. When Drew affirmed the popcorn, she shook her head. "No, you sit right there. I'll make some." Amy stood up, moving towards the cabinet that Sophie kept the popcorn in. Some of the usual bounce in her step had returned, but not all. If I could continue to feel like this, she thought, this break-up wouldn't be so hard. However, she didn't know how long she could keep this up, and she dreaded trying to go to sleep tonight.

She threw the popcorn in and set it to go, turning back around to Drew. "So, what is this movie about, anyway? I have never even heard of it."

A few minutes after he had hung up the phone, Evan arrived outside of Sophie's dorm, looking around for her. He didn't immediately spot her, so he pulled out his phone and began to dial her number

Ryan had totally dismissed his and Amy's relationship. Ryan had called Amy his 'get out of college easy' card, and the fact she had a great body was only a bonus. He said that he had taken Amy's virginity, and taught her everything she knows. So when she stopped putting out, Ryan lost interest. He could always get another little nerd, he said. And he would, Evan was sure. Evan had called Ryan a lot of names during that conversation, but Ryan had simply thought he was joking. All the balls that had ricocheted off the wall and hit Ryan in the head or shin had been on purpose, despite what Ryan had thought. He couldn't stand how Ryan was talking about Amy, and he barely knew the girl outside of her being the reason Drew bothered Sophie.

It was as he placed the phone to his ear that he saw the waving girl, and Evan hung up before the phone had a chance to ring. "Hey, beautiful," he said rather casually in reply, smiling warmly at her. He meant it to, as casually as it came out; the golden-skinned girl was damn-near perfect in Evan's book.

"Well it'd about a young reporter and his dog, Snowy. They get caught up in an adventure involving a sea captain, pirate ghosts, falcons, and car chases. We start off in England and go through the middle east, if I'm not mistaken. It's motion capture animated so it looks pretty gorgeous, and there's a lot happening. I feel like I'd be ruining the movie if I gave too much away. Suffice it to say, the characters are great and the plot keeps you guessing." Drew smiled, glad to see that Amy seemed a little more like herself. He was sure she was still sad, but at least she wasn't beating herself up over anything.

Maybe he would be helpful to her after all. The thought put a smile on his face and he relaxed on the futon while she waited for the popcorn. "I think you'll like it," he said with a smile.

Sophie flashed him a smile as he called her beautiful and tilted her head. It was always nice to hear it. "Thanks for that." She gave him a little hug, friendly as can be. The idea that he was strong and warm, and smelled very nice floated through her head before she let him go and looked back up. Evan seemed to be getting more attractive every time she saw him. Oddly, the notion that he might put in a little extra effort for her worked its way in. It was not an unappealing notion. Then again, maybe she was just noticing more of his appeal because...well, just because.

"So how are you? How was your day?" Better to keep her mind on the simple things. They would get around to Amy's plight sooner or later, but it seemed somehow rude to just jump into that. Besides, the longer she stayed out here, the less time she'd have to spend inside with those two. The artist knew they would probably want to find a different place to talk soon, but she just wanted to catch up with him a little first.

"Hmm," Amy said. She remained quiet until the microwave buzzed, informing her it was done. She collected one of her bowls and poured the popcorn into it, throwing the bag away. When she sat back down on the futon, she had inadvertently moved much closer to Drew, able to place the warm bowl on his leg and easily reach into it. "Hopefully," she said as she sat down, "I like the movie," she said, and began to watch the movie.

After a few minutes, she realized that as often as she saw Drew, she didn't really know much about him. She knew he was a friend of Sophie's and they shared some classes, but not much else. "So," she said, trying to start light conversation while the movie played, "Are you and Sophie close? I see you guys together all the time." She reached for some popcorn, popping a handful into her mouth.

"Just telling the truth," Evan said, wrapping one arm around her shoulders as she hugged him. A smile came to Evan's lips; it felt good to have Sophie against him. Thoughts of all the others way he'd like to feel her against him flitted through his mind, but Evan tried not to pay them too much attention. All he did note was that Drew was missing out. If he had this goddess pining over him, he'd drop whatever other interest he may have had and flocked to her. Seriously, Evan thought to himself as she stepped back, How do you pass that up!?

Evan knew what she really wanted to talk about, but he still was unsure what all was safe to say. He was glad for the small talk. "I'm doing pretty good," he said, "And my day just got a hell of a lot better with you around." Evan had always been a bit of a flirt; the fact he had met little to no resistance from Sophie today only encouraged it. "How about you?"

Sophie chuckled, glad that he was doing well. "I'm just fine, you shameless flatterer. Though I could have been turned into a dartboard today," she said. "It's been...interesting. Wanna get something to eat? I'll tell you more over food." It was hard not to be happy with Evan around. Yes, she would need to start hanging out with him much more often. Generally speaking, Sophie was a happy person, but some days it was just better if someone was there to boost it.

Drew smiled, glad that she was sitting so close to him. It was nice to have her around. "I like it, but I guess that's not a guarantee, huh?" He grinned and took some popcorn for himself. The intro credits were playing when she asked him about Sophie. Well, that was odd. He'd just assumed the two girls talked to each other. But then again, Sophie had mentioned something about not wanting to get too close to a roommate. He could understand that in some ways, but Amy seemed nice enough.

"Yeah, we're pretty tight. We've been friends since like first grade. We took care of the class hamster together. She punched a kid for me once, and I beat up someone for her at prom. Guy was a jerk," she said shaking his head. "I love Sophie. She's like a sister to me, ya know?"

Back
Top Bottom