Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Fortunate Mortal (dando20 and Frogger)

dando20

Supernova
Dane just came back to the bank after doing a shift at the local pizza place as a delivery driver. He was quite glad with the tip he got, getting closer and closer to his goal. He had been saving up for his trip to G-Con. It would be the first game convention that he would be going to and he hasn't been more excited. Living alone has not been a picnic but he has been going ok so far. It was nice to finally be independent away from his parents. He loved them very much but he always seemed confined with them around. Although it was ironic that he still prefers gettign home early at night now that he technically had no curfew anymore

Dane's apartment in the city was soon in sight, and Dane sighed, glad that he could relax a bit before doing some homework. He got his key out of his pants and jimmy the lock, sicne it is always been a bit troubling getting the rusty lock to work. He really needed to work on getting it replace soon.

"Ahh...home sweet home.."

Dane collapsed on the couch and sighed, relaxing after the busy day at work.

Night fell hours ago. The sun long gone, stars were just starting to emerge in the navy sky. It was quiet at this hour. Little traffic can be seen, or heard for that matter. Sophia gathered her papers together, making sure she has everything before leaving. As a professor, time was precious. Every minute of every day is utilized to the maximum. Papers must be graded, study plans made, not to mention assignments and projects. It was not easy, teaching Ancient Mythology. Most don’t believe it to be worth the time or effort, but of course such opinions are to be expected. After all…the stories are known as legends only, with fragments of truth.

Sophia unlocked the door to her apartment, absently flicking on a light switch as it swung shut behind her. Light banished whatever darkness had taken over the space. Although a bit on the cramped side, it was perfect for just one person. There was no need for more rooms that she was going to use.

“Mm… I can use a cup of tea…”

Looking forward to a moment of peace, she headed into the kitchen to brew herself a pot.

After watching some TV, Dane decided to do some homework. He found the Linear Algebra to be a bit tiresome, but it had to be done. As he got his books and head to his room. He looked at the night sky at the window. He seems to enjoy how the starry sky seem so solemn and calm, making him relax more after a long day.

Dane brought out his notes and books to do his homework with. He hear a door opening and closing next door, assuming that his neighbor was back home. He was quite intrigued to have a college professor as a neighbor. Though he didn't take classes in Mythology, he was a bit interested in the talks about the Greek Mythology, especially the goddesses. He shock his head, deciding to concentrate on his homework.

Sophia turned on the radio, idly listening to the sweet, relaxing tunes of classical music as she went about her business. The day had been long, but productive. A pile of papers -essays on how mythology influenced the Greek culture- laid on the table, waiting for their grade to be written in red. When the tea started brewing, she pulled her golden curls back into a ponytail. At least she can get something done meanwhile. Her stormy grey eyes read over neat and messy script alike, not judgmental in the least.

After ten minutes, she removed the pot from the burner and found a big mug. Its sweet vapors teased her senses. She opened the cabinet to pull out the sugar, only to find that she had none. "Hm? I suppose I need to run to the store..." she murmured to herself. Yet a glance at the clock told that no store would be open at this late hour. A sigh escaped her lips. "Perhaps I can borrow a cup from a neighbor..." Keys in hand, the beautiful professor went out into the hallway and knocked on the next door over.

Dane gasped a bit, shocked at who was knocking at this hour. He went to the door and looked at the peephole, seeing that it was the lady professor. He was surprised to see what she was doing at her front door, but he unlocked the door and opened it.

"Oh hello, Professor. Is something wrong?"

Dane still called her professor out of respect, even though he knew her first name.

"No...Nothing is wrong, per se. I just made some tea, and I have no sugar. Could I borrow a cup or two?" Sophia didn't know what exactly to address him as, seeing as how they didn't talk very much. It wasn't very often that their paths crossed. Perhaps one of these days, she should make an effort to get to know him better...?

Dark stormy grey eyes locked onto him. In all reality, the woman was very beautiful, from her curly golden locks to the plentiful curves her body possess. Not one man couldn't say that she wasn't an image of perfection.

"You don't have to call me Professor, Dane... Sophia is fine."

"Oh sure thing..umm..Sophia"

Dane went to the kitchen quickly got a disposable cup and poured out the little cups of sugar he had left. He would have to remember to get some more tomorrow.

As he covered the cup with plastic wrap, he couldn't help but admire Sophia's beauty. She seems to be always looking so gorgeous, no matter what. Dane never had the courage to tell her how she felt, especially due to the age difference. It would only end up sour.

Dane went to the door, returning to Sophia.

"Here you go Sophia. So..busy night?"

Sophia accepted the cup with a hesitant smile and nod. “Mm, yes… I don’t mind though.” The smile grew more confident, also bringing out the rather endearing dimples in her cheeks. Even her eyes were like gems instead of stormy skies. Pink could be seen along that porcelain smooth skin. “I love teaching. It is my passion, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

A few golden curls spilled from the ponytail, the ends just brushing along her jawline. In reaction, her hand absently rose, just tucking each strand behind her ear. For a moment there was nothing but silence between the two virtual strangers. Once it dragged on much longer than what can be considered comfortable, she finally –albeit nervously- spoke up.

“Thank you…for the sugar. If you are not busy or anything…would you like to come over? I’m about to make dinner…and I wouldn’t mind some company.”

"Well..I would love to.."
Dane was about to say he had homework to do, but it wasn't something he had to do so urgently. Plus it might not be a long visit. Besides, having a chance to be with Sophia is not something Dane would just pass up. He felt a bit excited inside.

"Sure I'd love to come over. Thanks" Dane said with a smile.

“Are you sure? I mean, if you’re busy…” Sophia nervously ran a hand through her golden mane. Of course, this made golden curls fall against her cheek, and her ponytail a bit messier. Because she bit her lip, the flesh of it was darker, now more crimson or ruby colored. “Please don’t feel as though you’re obligated to come. If you have something you need to do, feel free to take a rain check. It was just a suggestion… Or here is an idea… You can bring your work over with you, and do it while I’m cooking…” The young beauty shrugged her shoulders, just feeling foolish and embarrassed at the same time. Her dark blue eyes met his once again, no hints of gray touching the irises.

"That's a great idea. There's nothing to do in my home at the moment anyways."

Dane got his homework that he was working on and was ready to follow Sophia back to his house. He didn't want to skip a chance to be with her, even for a little while. Using homework was a nice excuse to join her for dinner. He could never get tired of looking at her perfect beautiful face of her's. Almost divine-like.

Sophia waited until he locked his apartment door, hints of embarrassment still touching those lovely features. "I must thank you... for accepting my offer," she clarified. "We never did talk much before... I wouldn't mind getting to know you better...and I like having a bit of company, especially on a night like this." These words were followed by a tiny smile. It wasn't any less beautiful than a full-blown smile, but rather cute due to its size.

Only a minute later was she opening the door to her own apartment. After taking off her shoes, she turned back to him. "Make yourself at home... The bathroom is just down the hall, if you need to use it. Um... Is there anything in particular you would like to have for dinner? I'm not really picky myself..."

Dane looked at Sophia's apartment. It was quite lovely, matching Sophia's bookworm personality. It was quite calm and arranged but not too boring. He wouldn't mind staying here for a day or so. Dane sat down, feeling a bit relaxed here.

"Well...If you have roasted chicken and orange juice, that would be lovely."

“I can roast a chicken… Orange juice, I don’t think I have…” Sophia decided to go ahead and check. If she didn’t have orange juice, it can easily be substituted. Pink playing along her cheeks, eyes looking more of a violet-blue than a stormy hue, she hurried along into the kitchen. It wasn’t as though she was being self-conscious… No, her nervousness was probably because of how little she interacts with other people. That was a rational explanation… For five, ten moments, she leaned against the little box known as a fridge, just to take a breather. Once that came to past, her fingers curled around its handle and tugged. “Hm…” Her eyes ran over the various groceries waiting inside. “Dane?” she called out. “I don’t have orange juice…but I do have water, wine…milk. You can have any of that…” The wine wasn’t there in the wee hours of morning, but if she didn’t know better…Dionysus must have put it there during the day.

Dane smiled wondering if Sophia was feeling uncomfortable around him. He wanted to be with her, but not if it inconvenienced her. Dane heard the drinks he had, but didn't think that Sophia would be one to buy wine. Well, to each his or her own.
"Water is fine for me, thanks...nice place you have here, Sophia..so..do you always live by yourself here?"

Sophia opened the cabinet, fetching a glass before answering the question. “I do… Every once in a while I have visitors, usually just my siblings seeing how it is I am doing…” It was true. Though she may be a goddess, one of wisdom, inspiration, and justice, for some odd reason the others tend to worry. Dionysus drops by to give a bottle of his finest wine. Ares will stop for a quick word, but of course he hated being idle with his hands. Those visits only last five, ten minutes. Hephaestus doesn’t bother coming to visit since he prefers the hot comfort of his forge. It was rare, but she did speak to Artemis and Apollo on occasion. Never together, but the twins did like to have a nice chat whenever they are out.

Not that Dane ever heard these visitors, much less seen anyone. Everyone is always careful not to draw attention onto them. One slip of the tongue, or a burst of powerful rage, could be disastrous. In this modern world, gods and goddesses do not exist. To prove myths as true fact… Who knows how humans will react at such news? Fear will most likely descend across the globe…but that is not what the gods desire to see. Ares may…yet the others only wish for peace. As does she, Athena Pallas Parthenon.

Once the glass was filled with ice and water, she headed back out to the living room area where Dane lingered. “How about you?” Sophia questioned, albeit a little nervously. “Do you live by yourself?”

Dane took the glass of water and drank some of it, feeling refreshed.
"Mm..yeah pretty much. I do have some people over but only when I have a study group. I..I don't know...I try interacting with people but..I guess I can't find someone to relate to I suppose. I try being nice but..I don't always do well in starting conversations..just being quiet most of the time in groups...Maybe that's why I'm trying to get to this anime convention this year. Maybe to find someone to relate to.."

Dane didn't realize he revealed quite a lot to the professor. For some reason, he felt like unloading what he felt to Sophia.

"Oh..sorry..hehe..I didn't meant to go on a sappy monologue." Dane said as he blushed.

“No…It’s perfectly fine, really.” Sophia offered him another smile. More confident than the previous smiles, it was truly a beautiful thing to see. “I understand how you feel. I don’t interact with others that often myself…I reach out whenever I feel the need for company…but I suppose I’m not very good at relationships outside of the classroom…” A delicate shrug followed her words. “Whenever I am teaching, I feel confident, because I know exactly what it is I’m doing… There is no need to be nervous. Yet I am whenever it comes to…interactions not involved with the teaching material.” Her eyes resembled tumultuous skies, revealing just how much she was bothered by this.

Sophia then blushed pink. “Oh, I’m sorry… Now I’ve gone on a sappy monologue…” She laughed nervously, a hand rising to tuck a rebellious curl behind her ear. It felt silly, but…she felt somewhat comfortable around this one man, at least more than she did around others.

“Anyway…I should go see if I have a chicken to roast…” After glancing at him out of the corner of her eyes, she went ahead and started back into the safety of the kitchen.

Dane was surprised that Sophia felt the same way as he did more or less. He didn't think he would have much in common with her. He could have sworn that she took a glance at him before heading back to the kitchen.

He looked over the room and noticed a painting of Athena. He smiled, seeing how well it was done. It must have cost a fortune for Sophia. Dane then notices something odd. In the painting, Athena's eyes seemed so familiar...a bit like..Sophia's. Wow..what a coincidence.

"Hehe, hey Sophia? You notice how this painting of Athena looks a bit like you?"

Sophia’s heart leapt, the organ practically slamming against her rib cage in shock. Why didn’t she think of hiding away that painting beforehand? Dark crimson making its way across her porcelain cheeks, pulse still racing, she struggled to gain control over her emotions. The stormy grey color of her eyes grew darker, black even churning around the edges. It was a simple enough question…right? There was no harm in answering it… After all, he didn’t have any idea just who she was… Not many would be able to make the connection that she was Athena. Still…

“What do you mean?” Forcing herself to laugh –the sound a bit fake to her own ears-, the young woman began heading back out into the living room. Her eyes ran over the painting. It was done several millennia ago, by a man she can now admit fascinated her. He may have been an amateur in the eyes of the world, yet he was magnificent. There was no denying his talent. “I don’t see what you mean, Dane… I look nothing like Athena.”

Sophia situated herself next to the painting, just to let him see. Perhaps if he heard the words, and was presented the evidence…he will believe it?

Dane looked at the painting and then Sophia. Despite Sophia's protesting, he couldn't ignore the glaring similarities between the two. Of course the hairs was different color and the complexion was off between the two...the blue eyes, the sweet smile, and their bodies. They were so similar...almost the same in fact. They could almost be sisters.

"...No..I still see it. She does look a bit like you. Hehe, Maybe you have a bit of Athena in you, hehe"

Dane of course was kidding, but he noticed Sophia's nervous mood and got worried.

"Sophia?..You ok?"

“O-Of course! Why wouldn’t I be okay?” Sophia ran a nervous hand through her curls, which in turn brought a few tumbling down against her cheek. It was frightening… For a moment, she thought he was gazing through her disguise, and looking onto her true self. No mortal has those kinds of capabilities though… Gods can do such things, but not without effort. Her grey eyes rose up to meet his, only to dance away seconds later. A fresh wave of pink washed over those lovely, delicate features of hers. “I found a chicken in the fridge… It shouldn’t take very long to roast. What else do you think we should have with it? I have a variety of vegetables…but I don’t know what exactly you like in that area…”

Moments later she was back in the kitchen, fridge open, with its cool breath falling onto her arms. It was actually soothing. “Mm… I have corn, green beans, broccoli… Which would you prefer? It doesn’t matter to me which we have.”

Her clothes did wonders for the curves of her body. Though she wasn’t the dazzling beauty Aphrodite was, there were still beautiful aspects to drink in, subtle but there nonetheless. Her figure was in the shape of an hourglass, and her breasts were full and lush. There was a sharp, intelligent look to those tumultuous grey eyes of hers. It was rather becoming, especially given her high cheekbones, full pink lips, amongst other features.

"Odd" Dane thought "Sophia just dropped the subject like that?..Well I don't want to push the issue if it bothers her....Wow..she's so sexy"
Dane shock his head, getting the thoughts out of his head. He heard about the choices of veggies and smiled about the choices.

"Well I do like corn and broccoli. And see if you have any mashed potatoes too..I like those...Umm..I hope I'm not stepping any boundaries or anything.."

Sophia reached into the belly of the fridge, its chilly breath teasing her skin as she pulled out the corn. “I will be sure to look. And no, you’re not overstepping any lines. You are my guest. I am just happy that you accepted my offer of dinner, and of company. Sometimes I feel like the walls are closing in…” Her voice trailing off, she closed the fridge, before taking a look inside a nearby cabinet. Mashed potatoes definitely were delicious with chicken, yet she wasn’t quite sure if she had any. Usually she only bought enough food for a week, but if a sale did rise…of course she took advantage.

“I heard you say something about a….anime convention? What is that, exactly?” Curiosity entered her words. What did the word mean? Was it ‘’animation”? If so, why must a convention be held for it? Brewing over these questions, Sophia found several packages of fast mashed potatoes which she can make in minutes.

Back
Top Bottom