Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Risk It All

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotNiceAngel

Super-Earth
Sun filtered through a small window that was covered by a blanket; the light invaded Soifra's dreams of walking in the dense forest and mountains. Soon, she was blinking rapidly and peeking out from under her thick fur blanket to look out. Soifra's eyes widened in horror at the location. It was nearly noon! She would be late for her very first patrol as a warden. This would most definitely put her at the bottom of the promotion list. The fact she was a girl was already bad enough without adding more weight onto her shoulders. Groaning, she dropped the blanket over the window and frantically ran about the room.

First Soifra had to get into her uniform. It slid over her large C size bust and the light swell of her abdomen, hugging to her tightly. Then she slid her leggings on and went to a mirror. That morning, her dark brown hair was wildly whipping about on her pale face, even getting into her bright blue eyes. Hurriedly, she brushed it down and put it into a messy ponytail at the base of her neck. She was so late! Soifra ran to her fireplace and pulled her bow over her shoulder as well as her quiver. The bow was six foot long recurve made of oak. The pull weight was 75 pounds, and it could shoot an arrow through a bear's hide. Next, she put her belt around her waist and hooked her small blade into it. She was finally ready, and she shot out of her house as fast as she could and mounted her horse, a black Arabian stud.

Soifra rode hard and fast until she saw the gate up ahead where her group was waiting. Everyone was there...well everyone but her that is. Swearing, she rode up to her commanding officer and saluted. The other scouts were whispering and snickering behind her. "Good morning, Sir. Forgive me for being late; it's inexcusable. I'm prepared to accept any punishment you deem necessary, Sir."

The early winter hasn't been kind to area around him, the air was cold and crisp, snow fallen in the mountains to his north, their peaks gleaming brilliantly against the blue noon sky. The man wrapped his scarf tighter around his once exposed neck, cursing the bitter frost as he sat still on his mount. He and his men were of the imperial guards, an elite body of soldiers tasked with protecting the Emperor's land. Of course, it was only due to his incompetence, or carelessness he might add, that one of the convoys he was guarding got attacked by bandits, and thus he was banished out here, into the far reaches of the empire. Guarding a lonely outpost that had seen less battles than a child that had yet to reach puberty. Then again, he had considered himself lucky, was he not a war general with countless of skirmish victories under his belt, he would probably had been beheaded.

Desiderius turned in his saddle and studied his loyal men behind him, all of them were once and still under him from his previous post. All large, fierce looking warriors that would lay down their swords for him. Each willingly would follow him to the ends of the world. He was glad that they were all with him, he would put his life in any one of their blades. Except one. And it was this exact one which was late today. How ironic it was, the one person he did not want along on his team had to be the one that was late. If his superiors had not been insistent on the fact that he needed an archer with him, he wouldn't even had gave her a second look. Unless he was drunk and in need of companionship of course. He was a man of simple needs, give him a beautiful scenery and could be mesmerized for hours by nature's gift. But not if he had been waiting on this same god forsaken spot since the crack of dawn. Where the hell was she?

He ran a finger through his thick dark hair, his vibrant blue eyes watching the dusty roads for any sign of her arrival. And just as he was about to ride off without her, he heard the steady beats of an approaching horse. He gave her a seemingly pissed off look as she rode up to him, saluting before apologizing for her tardiness. He was not a man that liked to punish his men, but he needed to set an example. "Off your horse." he scowled, his tone slightly darker than it was supposed to be. He got off and stood directly in front of her, towering over her as he shouted in her face, "do you not know of the importance of your fucking job?" He had reached out and gripped onto the collar of her uniform. "Last time." he warned, "got it?".

As soon as her Commanding Officer ordered her from her mount, Soifra was immediately wary of him; however, she was never one to disobey. Slowly she slid off and watched him also come off his horse. She met his stern gaze and saw dark and calm within them. He had the appearance of someone higher up in ranks, but she knew better than to let appearances deceive her. For all she knew, he could be an enemy; everyone already frowned upon a woman being in the guard. This man was no doubt any different than them. She could see the distaste wafting off of him.

When he grabbed Soifra's collar, she stared straight into his eyes as he spat his vehemence. She refused to show any sign of weakness, so she steeled herself and clenched her fists tightly and ensnared the inside of her cheek in her teeth so harshly she actually drew blood. "Yes, I do understand, Sir. Who wouldn't? Unless they are simpletons which I can assure you I am most definitely not. Understood, Sir. I'll do my best not to be late again," she said in a harsh, uncaring tone. At least, that was her outside demeanor. Inside, she was shaking slightly with eyes wide much like a child's, but she wouldn't let him or anyone else see that side of her.

Soifra was fresh out of training school, and she was only a second year student. Besides, she'd already seen a battle once before. That was, in fact, Soifra's main reason for being late. She was having nightmares about that fight in the North. Pulling back from her superior, Soifra bowed and mounted her horse once again. Already a barely noticeable tremor was making its presence in her fingers. When she was on the safety of her horse, Soifra adjusted the collar of her uniform and pulled her cloak up around her.

The woman met his gaze with her fiery one, and replied in a tone that had surprised him. It had the feeling of a challenge laced within her words, but instead of being insulted, he was instead impressed. It's not everyday that someone would show him such attitude, it reminded him of another time, back where he was directly under the king. He too, had always been late and not in the best of relations with his superiors, occasional brawls with them did not really help bring up his reputation either.

He took in the scenery as they traveled along the dusty road, all around him, on the slopes of the mountainous terrains they were at, grew shrubs of modest height with glossy, dark green leaves. Every year, sweet scented white blossoms sprouted and eventually matured into dark purple berries. Once harvested, it then would be turned into one of the finest wine he had ever tasted. The one good thing that had kept him to this godforsaken post without much complaints.

He gazed back at his men, as obedient and fine as they were, they are all brutes, none of them worth a decent conversation. A saddening fact to him, as he was someone who loved to talk, be it about history, fine arts of even just the weather, a sophisticated conversation, how much he had craved for that since he arrived here months ago. A random thought struck him, as he looked to the woman riding close to him. She looked so different now that the rage and anger was out of him, with her dark brown hair tied back in a ponytail, she actually looked.. beautiful. Plus he had heard that she graduated and gained her skills from one of the finest schools in Rome, unlike the men under his control, who honed their skills drawing blood and beheading men on the battlefield.

He pulled onto the reins and moved his horse close to her, "what do you think about being posted here?" he suddenly asked, knowing that if he was the one deployed here instead of the front lines, he would had felt so damn insulted.

The ride was so peaceful and tranquil to Soifra. Time seemed to pass quickly as she rode to the right forefront of the party. Her eyes drifted to the great trees and then to a plump bird perched up above. With a chuckle, she began to think of a way to kill it with her bow by habit. The academy always kept them ready for tests. The trees were rather tall in this part of Rome, and the smell of their flowers was nearly intoxicating to her. She knew these flowers brought forth berries used in a famous wine from this region. Soifra, of course, was too young--in her personal opinion--to even touch alcohol. She was a product of drunken sex.

Most Romans were pagans who lavish in pleasure, but Soifra was an oddity even in her close knit family. She preferred clarity and logic that sobriety provided rather than drunken stupor that led to pregnancy and homeless sorrow. Soifra, from the beginning, had wanted to be a great scholar; the next best thing was being a soldier. Archers ran in her bloodline, so it was a simple decision. At least now she wasn't stuck in her home village with a farmhand for a husband and seven no-brain children running about. Being a soldier however, made staying pure very difficult. Men were such grabby, hands on creatures. Even as babes they seem eager to sleep with their heads and hands on a woman's breast.

When her commanding officer actually approached her and struck up a sort of conversation, Soifra was stunned. She nodded her head as he spoke and stared ahead. "I came from a mediocre sized farm and trade city. Compared to what I'd be there, this duty is like being allowed to walk among those on Olympus. I cannot say that I won't miss war though. I have seen it," she muttered.

He nodded as the woman spoke, listening to the words that she had said, finding out that they weren't much different at all. They both came from mediocre sized farm located within a city known for it's trade. He had grown up spending countless days sitting on the edge of the cliff near the farm that had overlooked the port city, feeling the cool breeze freighted with salt and brine carried over from the oceans. Back then, how he had wished to one day hop onto one of the boats and sail out to god knows what that lies in the horizon, he needed an adventure, anything was better than this small town he had lived in. So when he heard of the war and how countless more people were being enlisted for it, he was ready by the time the Roman recruiters set foot upon the island's land.

He had fought wars all over the country, ones within the borders of his countries, ones that took place beyond their enemy's land. The only ones he had avoided was the ones that took place behind his own empire's walls, political ones. So when it was his chance to raise up and become one of it's state senators as reward for his deeds, he gracefully declined. He had saw the unpalatable greed burning in the eyes of the men around him, ones that were tempted by its power. Filled with an overwhelming desire to free himself of ruthless ambition, he had decided to continue living on with a soldier's life. One filled with countless nights of wine and woman, that was all that he had ever needed.

"I see," he replied, so she wasn't exactly one of those spoilt brats that were sent to those training academies by their rich parents just so they have something to brag about, he saw the look in her eyes, an all too familiar one that he had seen countless of times. She was a person that had witness firsthand the horrors of war. "In any case, join us for a drink tonight, I'll introduce you to our men," he continued with a smile. They were soon to be arriving on their destination, the familiar sharp scent of pine trees filled the air, an outcrop of rocks a short distance ahead obscured the road beyond. The city where they would be patrolling laid slightly ahead.

After a short, gory flashback, the young archer looked at her superior. It seemed as though he understood her history from the nostalgic look in his eyes. Perhaps he too was from a small village like hers. She wouldn't ask her superior about that though; it was out of line. Looking down at her mount, she patted his sweaty neck and brushed a few twigs from his mane. Soifra was absolutely terrified of horses, and it was the one course she failed miserably at the academy. Her instructor threw her up on a steed, and now it was the only horse she trusted. Sighing, she looked back up at the trail to the borders. She had seen these borders only once. Only some things looked even remotely familiar.

When her superior offered to introduce the others over alcohol, Soifra blanched and her cheeks flushed. "I'm afraid that I must deny that offer," she said with a self conscious smirk. "I've never had a taste of alcohol, and I feel I'll merely embarrass myself if I even smell too much of it. I would not want to give off a bad first impression," she said as she dipped her head. "Unlike most soldiers, I don't use alcohol to cope," she said with a smile. "I wish not to dishonor you though. I suppose I could still meet the others."

He smiled as he saw her expression changed when he had asked her to join him and his guys for a drink, she was obviously uncomfortable with liquor, her flushed cheeks did little to hide her true feelings. "You never had a taste of alcohol?!" he exclaimed, "you've not truly enjoyed life my dear!" He clicked his tongue, and pressed the heel of his boots into the flanks of his mount, with a brief snort, the horse lurched forward slightly, till it was moving at the same pace with the woman's stead. "You do know of the berries that could only be grown and harvested from this mountain? Trust me when I tell you that they're nothing like the cheap liquor you've seen men get drunk over. This, has a certain exquisite, elegance to it. And since we're at the only place in the world that has it, tonight you'll join us. I insist."

He sent her a warm smile as she mentioned about how she wouldn't want to embarrass herself, what a nice change this was, talking to someone like her instead of the brutes that he had with him all the time. "I do hope that you don't hold a grudge against me for my earlier.. hostility. But still, as a soldier, you should never be late, it could have been a matter of life and death." He shot her a teasing smile as he continued, "as for your punishment, you'll show up tonight."

Soifra groaned inwardly; she knew she shouldn't have done that. Now she was indubitably screwed. "I-I believe I have had a very good life thank you," she said rather curtly. As he spoke of the berries with ardor and fervor, the young archer looked away. There really was no getting out of this was there? Her mind sought out any way of escape, but she could find none that were plausible or reliable. With a dejected sigh that made loose hairs around her face fly, Soifra gave up on arguing with her superior officer. "I hear often of this berry and its liquor, Sir. I'm sure that it is also very potent."

Mention of their earlier "scrap" made Soifra become very serious. A small smile curled onto her lips and she softly nodded. "You're my superior; you had every right to go about my tardiness with that approach," her face turned pale when he dished out an inhumanly harsh punishment. "S-Sir, you cannot be serious?!" she protested. "Surely there is some other punishment."

(Sorry for the late reply! Just got back from an overseas holiday trip!)
He saw her facial expression turned into one of a much more serious tone as he reminded her of their earlier encounter, and as she spoke her thoughts, he knew that she would eventually end up as one of his trusted men. Men, or woman in her case, that followed orders and accept their punishments without quarrel nor dispute would always be given a second chance in his books. And he let loose a burst of deep, loud hearty laughter as she turned pale at the mention of his "punishment".

"Surely you don't fear the drink as much as I think you do, do you?" he mocked as he looked towards her, "how can I trust you to watch my back out on the battle field if I were to believe the fact that you're afraid of a little.. liquor?" He sent her a wink as he pressed the heels of hit boots into the horse, sending it lurching forward as the town's gate came into view. "Prove me otherwise tonight, coward!" he shouted in a teasingly fashion as his stead moved to the front of their convoy. Getting off in front of the man that was manning the gates, he passed them their identification letters, and after a simple wave, they were into the village.

"Tell the rest of the men we'll meet at the town's tavern tonight for a celebration before we head out for our rounds tomorrow, I have some other things to take care of." He set off towards the mayor's living quarters directly after passing the message to one of his men, as much as he had wanted to rest, there were still procedures, forms to be filled, things to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom