Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Witchhunt

Kikora

Banned
Banished
Teyha shifted the heavy pack on her shoulders slightly to relieve some of the discomfort of the thin straps digging into her shoulder. There wasn’t much in the small bundle, one or two changes of clothes, a few pieces of dried meats, cheese, and fruits wrapped tightly in wax paper and tied with coarse string, and a crudely copied map drawn on soft leather. Every now and then she’d stop to stare at the locations again, wondering just how far it was to the next village. It felt like she had been walking for miles already, but she was no closer to her goal then before.

With a sigh she tucked a strand of dark hair behind her ear and started forward again, knowing that resting now wasn’t an option. She would find an inn in the village to sleep, or at least a hayloft that she could sneak into for a bit of rest. But first, she had to actually reach the village. “It’d be easier if I could use my magic.” She grumbled to herself sourly, aggravated that even that wasn’t an option now. Magic was in her blood and came as easy to her as walking did to other humans. It was a gift she was born with, and wielded fairly, but all the same “Mortal” humans feared witches. After the last reign of the dark witches and warlords, and the terror they spread with black magic, spellcasting itself has become beyond taboo. Any caught trying to learn witchcraft are sentenced to hang. Any born with the power to perform magic are set to burn. It was a prospect that sent shivers up her spine. She had seen a burning once, years ago before her gift had developed, and it is a long and agonizing demise.

Witches were actively hunted to. He newly formed church offered twenty gold pieces for every confirmed witch found, and the class of ‘witch hunter’ had begun. Noblemen set out for glory, to bring back the mark of the church on their armor breastplate signifying them a ‘hero’… And farmboys left home for the wealth. Twenty gold could easily buy a small home and farmland, and for the poverty stricken country it was a tempting prize indeed.

Good witch hunters brought with them tools to find and capture their targets. A dragonstone, normally a bloody red, would turn a shade of black or grey in the presence of magic. Witches only had to touch their source to draw the attention of the accursed stone. Many nobles bring with them ancient swords, ironically enchanted by white witches that aided in the overthrow of the dark reign, only to be slain by their creations, to cut through magic weaves and enchantments. Some, the most dangerous hunters of all, carried a black collar on their hip. If attached around a witches throat the collar would bind them to the person who adorned them, leaving them almost incapable of resisting. Thoughts of disobedience, spellcasting against an order, or violence would lead to severe pain, or even death.

Teyha shuddered again, and rubbed her arm to pat down the goosebumps before she realized that she reached the top of a steep hill. Nestled at the bottom was the village, and Teyha laughed in relief, almost running to it in her eagerness. She ducked her head meekly to the locals as she pushed through the crowd, seeking out the tavern for a real meal. It didn’t take her long to find, and she seated herself in the corner of the room, setting her pack on the floor. “Miss?” She called to a server girl, waiting for her to approach. “I’d like a mug of cider and small plate of whatever the supper is.” She said quietly, fishing out a copper piece t place in the center of her hand. The girl bopped her head and darted off again, leaving Teyha to settle back and wait.

Conner strolled along the path leisurely as he was approaching the town. He didn't navigate using any maps, instead he relied on his intuition and knowledge of the countryside. He had roamed the lands for most of his adult life in search of witches. Conner, however, didn't do it for the hefty sum of money; He hunted witches because of his hatred for them. When he was a child his family was brutally murdered by a crazed woman using ungodly magics. The woman shouted things about witches being the superior race and that humans should know their place. The witch told him these things and sent him out into the wild so he could tell everyone of what happened. Instead, Conner strengthened himself and never told anyone of the story. He knew why his family was killed, his father was one of the most famous witch hunters in the land. Before Conner left he had taken a few things with him: His fathers serpent dagger, which was rumored to have killed more witches than the fires; His dragonstone necklace that would alert him of magic users; and finally a collar that he later found out was useful in binding witches to his will.

It had been said that the witch hunter's blood was passed onto him because of his ability to conquer any witch that crossed him. The people adored and cheered for him because he gave humans a fighting chance in the war on the witches. The witches, however, despised him and tried their best to kill him but their plans always fell short. Conner ran a hand through his dark brown hair as he yawned and stretched his neck. He was tired and needed a good night sleep at an inn. His emerald green eyes widened a bit when the town came into view. He smiled briefly as he continued to walk into town. Sure he needed a good rest but he also needed a drink before anything else.

Currently, he was on the hunt of a witch that was said to be spotted near the town. Unlike other witch hunters, Conner didn't do much 'hunting' because it seemed as if the witches would all eventually cross his path as if fate determined it. He didn't mind it though, he was always prepared and ready for a fight with a witch.

As he walked into the tavern he got a weird feeling in his body. That feeling was usually associated with danger and he quickly went on alert. He looked around and saw many people sitting an drinking and a few eating. He walked over to a table and sat down while he pulled out his pack of cigarettes. A girl approached him and asked if he would like a drink. "Aye, and make it a strong one. I need to clear me head." He said in a strong Irish accent as the woman simply nodded and walked off to get his drink.

Connor pulled out a cigarette and lit it. He inhaled deeply and breathed it out. He watched as the smoke drifted through the tavern as if searching for something. It made a trail from his table leading to another table with a woman sitting alone. Conner looked down at his necklace and kept an eye on it in case it's color would change. He had a sure feeling that he knew what the woman was, but he needed conformation before making any decisions. The server returned with his drink and Conner sat back and took a big gulp as he kept a constant watch on the woman across the tavern.

The little witch had learned years ago that there was a sharp difference between keeping your head low, and drawing suspicion through antisocial behavior. So she speak a word, but smiled at those who passed by, ducking her head to those who passed, and laughing softly when others roared with laughter. Everything to keep from attracting notice.

Teyah felt nervous every time she entered a human village, images of slowly burning at the stake turned her already ivory skin paler, and left her hand trembling. This time was unusually bad, and her stomach was in knots as the tavern door swung open again, and a man walked in. Her mouth went dry when she spotted the dragonstone hanging around his neck. She openly stared for a moment before a voice broke her trance. "Yer meal, miss?" The server girl said quietly, setting the small plate and mug of cider before her before darting off to service the witch hunter.

Teyha shook her head, and picked up her fork, fumbling with it for a second in her nervousness before she began to eat. Every now and then her eyes darted up to examine the hunter. Hanging at his hip she saw a twisted dagger and she felt a wave of nausea. The serpent dagger was notorious among witches, it slayed more of her kind than the church, even though it was only wielded by a few generations worth of mortal men. 'This is a bad stroke of luck...' She told herself, and swallowed hard. Of all the villages she could stop in, she landed in one with a famous slayer? She was so scared she didn't even notice the trail of smoke headed for her, swirling in a cloud above her head almost unnaturally.

Conner sat at his table eying the woman. She seemed a little tense and nervous. He casually drank his alcohol in large gulps and quickly finished it. He watched as the smoke began to circle around her head. Witches may have had some knowledge about the things hunters used to track and identify them but they didn't know everything. Conner placed his drink back on the table and pulled out a folded piece of paper. It was a list of witches and their descriptions along with where they were last spotted. Though there was no information on this woman he had a strong feeling about her.

He put out his smoke and waited for the server to bring him another drink. He studied the witch suspect carefully. He didn't know how dangerous or reckless this one was so he decided to observe for a moment. She didn't look like one to show her true self among humans and the fact that she wasn't on the list furthered his reasoning. When the server came back with his drink he thanked her and got up, drink in hand. He strolled over to her table and sat across from her.

"Howya, me names Conner and I'll be bettin' you gots yourself a fine secret on ya." He said as he took a drink and set it on the table. "Now cuttie, why not save yerself some trouble and just be admitting it won't ya?" He asked not wasting anytime. He took off his necklace and held it out to her. "Right beauty aint she? How bout giving her a little feel?" He ask as he stared at her with an unwavering glare. The red stone glinting in the low light of the tavern, taunting her.

She ate quickly, hoping to finish and leave before the witchhunter took any more of an interest in her. He was already eyeing her from over his mug of ale, studying her every movement with trained eyes. Surely there was no way he could know what he is just yet. He'd only been there a minute! Her stomach tossed nervously, and her eyes darted to the blade hanging at his hip, causing her to pale considerably. He pulled out a piece of paper, unfolding it to read, and Teyha shifted again, forcing herself to eat slowly. She didn't taste the food though, it was as if she was chewing on ash.

The man stood, and Teyha froze, the fork half raised to her mouth. Her grey-green eyes studied his every movement as he approached, and took a seat right across from her. Her eyes locked on his face, wide and fearful as he turned his full attention on her. Without hesitation, she set down her fork and lowered her eyes from his meekly. Experience taught her long ago not to aggravate witch hunters, whether you actually meant any harm by it or not.

He didn't waste any time in implying what she was, and she looked up again, eyes wide. "How..." She whispered, mostly to herself, and watched in horror as he pulled out his necklace. She eyed the magical artifact nervously, before raising her eyes back to the man, Conner. She brushed a lock of dark hair behind her ear, as she considered her opinion. She couldn't use magic, even reaching for her source would turn the stone grey... And if she touched it, the stone would feel the magic naturally in her, and change anyway. What option did that leave her now?

"I don't have a secret that should interest you." She told him quietly, lowering her eyes to the table once more. She shifted in her seat for a moment, frowning to herself. "I have done nothing wrong. I am obeying your laws, using your currency, and living as you do. I am not here to cause trouble for you, or your kind... So please... May I finish my meal in peace, hunter?" She kept her voice low to keep from attracting any other curious ears, but her eyes never moved from his.

"Oh your a coy aren't ya?" Conner said in mock surprise. He placed the necklace around his neck and picked up his drink. "You and yer kind are always out to be fucking something up and i'm the man that be stopping all yer plans." He said bitterly as he took another drink.

All his past experiences with witches had taught him that they aren't one to be trusted. He had quite a few try and play the cute an innocent type and they were often the deadliest. He was on his guard and watched the witch carefully. If she was up to something he would have to stop her.

"You might be mistaken lass, these 'laws' you be spittin about ain't worth a shiv to hunters. But you stay easy, i'm not gunna hurt ya. That is if you be willing to have a wee chat with me. It's a bit full in here. You finish yer meal and we both be heading outta hear to the inn. We have things to chatter about." He told her as he finished his drink and let the witch finish.

He wasn't going to take no for an answer. Witches were always bad news to him but he did believe in the "don't hurt them til they try and hurt you." approach. He didn't know why witches did what they did aside from them hating humans. He wanted to end this war with them once and for all and he was willing to kill every witch for it, but he wondered if there was ever a different option.

The hunter only seemed to want to mock her, giving an exaggerated cry of surprise at her 'coy' behavior before settling into bitterness. He took a long drink of his ale before setting it down, his expression dark. Teyha watched in silence for a few moments before hesitantly picking up her fork again. Conner didn't seem to have any intentions of spilling her secret to the crowd, most likely because he didn't want bystanders getting injured. She could respect that decision, but that didn't change what he was most likely going to do next.

"I'm a white witch." She whispered, almost too low for the Irishman to hear. "I can't fight, even if I wanted to." She glanced up one, pushing her food around on her plate. "Please do not lie to me, Mister Conner!" She cried out, only slightly louder than she intended, before sinking back into her seat again, her expression becoming pained once more. "We are... We are going to move some place quiet... And you're going to kill me with that enchanted blade, are you not?" She asked, setting down her fork as she pushed the plate away.

She reached slowly across the table to grab her mug of cider, and brought it to her lips. The chilled drink helped sooth her nerves some, and she put it down with a sigh. "The concept of a last meal does not appeal to me. You can have it... And do not be concerned, I slipped nothing in." She paused again for a moment, and leaned an arm on the desk, resting her forehead against the back of her hand. "I... Had assumed from the moment I found out what I was that eventually I would be killed for it. The church has a bounty of twenty gold to light me on fire, and there are those who would like nothing more than to spill my blood for being as I am." She shrugged slightly, not looking up to meet the hunters gaze. "I do not blame you for wanting to see me dead... But I am afraid..." She shifted in her chair some, feeling the wave of nausea flood over her. She swallowed hard, swirling the contents of her mug absently as she tried to gather her thoughts. "Perhaps we should move now." She said at last. "While I am numb, I wish to get this over with while I have the strength to look death in the eyes."

"A white witch ya say? Aye, I don't believe I've heard that one before." Conner's lips twitched up to a smile. "I've never met a witch that couldn't fight. From all me run-ins wit the limey witches, ive always felt that they wanted a fight." He looked over at the witch, wondering weather or not to believe her words or not.

He listened to her words, a stern look cemented to his face. He could figure this was all an act intended to distract him but he had an odd feeling that made him want to believe her. "Take it easy lass. I already told ya that was wasn't goin to be hurtin ya if your willing to have a more private chat." He pushed away the food and leaned in. He folded his arms and bent forward to make sure she was paying attention to him. "I'm a man that likes to know who he'll be fighting. I want information on you, every witch you know and every fucking thing even barely related to your kind so's I can do my job."

He leaned back in his chair and locked eyes with her. His emotionless mask still up as he pulled out a piece of paper. "I kill those whose name be placed on here. Every name has a description of the person and a few other pieces of knowledge. The only people I care about in this world is those on the list. Now lass, given all these names and all these descriptions i'm just a loss on who ya are other than the fact you be a witch. Far as i'm concerned, after you tell me what I be needing to know then you can go about your business until your name shows up on here." He placed the paper back into his coat pocket and stood up.

"Now lass, I believe we have a few things to discuss." He said as he walked over to her and offered his hand to her.

"A white witch is one who is strong in the elements spirit, water and air." She explained quickly. "Wonderful tools for healing, but rarely used in combat." She flashed him a slightly nervous smile, and fidgeted in her seat some, trying to shrink away from him. He pulled out the papers again, his hard eyes glued onto hers, he explained exactly what it was and Teyha nodded slowly. Her face paled slightly when she realized exactly what he was asking for. The only witches and warlocks she knew were in her own family, and just thinking of them made her blood run cold. Could she.... Could she give them up? A part of her knew that any hunter would be justified in slaying her mother or brother in particular, but no matter what they had done to humans... And to her.... They were family.

She refused to take his hand when she stood, lacing her arms protectively in front of her. She placed a copper on the table to tip the waitress and followed the man out. He led her to a local inn, and she pressed her lips together in agitation. Couldn't he demand to know what he wanted out in a stable, and kill her in peace? She didn't mind being slain for her species, but the idea that she might be thought of as a harlot in her last moments on Earth.... That bothered her.

Conner paid for the room, and the innkeeper flashed her an odd look, a deep frown on his lined face when he didn't see a wedding band on her slender finger. 'Do you think he'd approve more if he knew you were a witch?' Her inner voice scolded loudly, and she huffed in agitation to it. It got her moving though, and she followed the hunter up to the room, waiting as he unlocked the door, and gestured for her to enter.

She stood awkwardly just inside the room, feeling insecure locked in a room with only a large bed, and a hunter who despised her kind. "I'm sorry." She said when he faced her, dipping her head low. She trembled for a brief moment before raising her eyes, and meeting Conners, a determined and stubborn look on her face. "I don't have any information to give you."

"Ya don't say, do ya lass?" Conner said with a tinge of bordem in his voice. He pulled out his dagger and stabbed it with great force into the empty dresser. The handle sticking straight up as a glint of light reflected off the blade. "I believe your familiar with it." He said referring to the dagger. "This one weapon has ended more witches than the entire church. I don't mind using it, but I will if I have to." He said with a look of seriousness.

"Now lass, I know you don't want to be feeling the sharp end of this blade but your going to have to tell me something." He told her as he looked at her. "I don't care what you tell me, but tell me something. I really don't want to have to force it outta ya." He said as he wriggled it out of the wood. He walked over the the bed and sat down. He began to inspect the dagger, cleaning it with his shirt.

"Your a white witch ya told me. Where do ya hail from? Want's your family like? Do any of them have a reason to be on me list?" He asked as he looked up at her. He didn't want to use intimidation to get information but he needed to know as much about these witches and warlocks. He knew that she had information that could be helpful, he just didn't know what it was.

"Do you know how many I've killed? How many time I've watched as they laid on the ground bleeding to death while i stood over their body? I couldn't tell ya lass, I've lost count." He stared into her eyes, his expression very serious. "If you don't want to jump right into it we can start small, but we have to be startin somewhere." He looked her over and began to speak. "What's your name?" He asked as he set the dagger down next to him, giving her all his attention.

The dull sound of the dagger striking wood made Teyha jump slightly, but she steeled herself against his words. She couldn't trust the hunter to be anything but a hunter, and she didn't believe she would leave the room alive either way. He didn't even pretend to have reservations about killing her were she stood. He saw her as nothing more than a threat to be eliminated, and he would crush her if he had the chance.

She stiffened when he asked about her family, and immediately her expression darkened. They had every right to be on his list, at least in her mind. Her brother was a sadist, a sociopath who used his powers to force himself upon human women. When she was younger he had tried similar to her, and she only had enough strength to barely protect herself time and again. She warned her mother, but the woman would only punish her for spreading slander... It became a horrid enough situation that she ran altogether, lacking the power to do anything more.

She shivered once, and leaned against the door. "I have no connection with my family." She told him sharply when she returned to her senses. "Nor do I care to know how many of my kind you have slain. I told you once, I do not expect you will allow me to leave this room alive." She crossed her arms tighter, pulling her eyes away from his. "But I suppose there's no harm in knowing my name. I am Teyha Lockra."

Conner's brow quirked a bit at her name. "Lockra ya say? Now that can't be right. I happen to have a Lockra on my list. Does the name Bradyn sound familiar to ya? I'd really like to meet the man. Top o' the this don't cha know." He said as he pulled out the list to read it over. "My my, he's done some downright bad things. Church be offering 40 if he still be alive." Conner put away the paper and stood up.

"I understand your feeling towards me. You don't trust me and I don't trust you. However I am a man of his word and I can give you my word that I won't be the one to kill ya if you tell me what i need to know." He said as he walked closer to her. "But I will tell you thing will be getting alot worse if you don't tell me what i want to know."

He stood inches away from her, his tall frame leaning over her. "Now, what is your brother capable of and where might he be hiding?" He asked as he continued to look down at her. He reached a hand into his pocket and felt the collar in his hand. He didn't want to use it but if things didn't progress faster he might be inclined to.

"Aye, what'll it be lass. Me words the best i can do for ya and me word is the only thing i have left in the world." He said with a slight look of pleading in his green eyes.

Teyha froze when he named her brother without any hesitation. Her eyes widened slightly, and her face paled again, turning ghostly white as he stared at her with a raised brow. She didn't know that he would be on his list... As far as she was aware her mother kept them both under the watchful eyes of the church, hiding his actions to keep him safe. Something must have happened after she ran, to reveal his true nature to those who hunt witches.

Conner stood, and Teyha pressed herself against the door. Her hand shot out to grab the knob, and she fumbled in an attempt to escape, but it was already securely locked, and there was no way out for her. Soon he was mere inches away, his frame towering over her. She shrunk away from him some, looking even smaller as she tried desperately to put some space between them. She arms crossed over her chest again, this time holding herself securely as her breath quickened in terror. She didn't notice his hand reaching down to grasp the collar, only how close he was to her.

A familiar fear gripped her, the aggression she felt from him so similar... How he stood over her... Her stomach tossed as a feeling of nausea washed over her. "I have nothing to do with him!" She said loudly, and raises her arms as if to fend the man off. "I don't know where he is!"

Conner sighed aloud. "I'm sorry lass, but you brought it on yerself." He said as he quickly pulled out the collar and slapped it on her in one motion. He stepped back as he watched the magic surge from the collar into Teyha's body. The magic bending her will to do whatever he wanted. Conner watched as the collar did it's thing. He didn't want to use it but he had to if he wanted to get information. He felt sorry for her because the only way to remove the collar was to remove the witches head.

"Now that you be feeling more obedient, i say it's bout time i got some answers." He said as he walked over to her. The magic caused her to collapse. He stood over her and picked her up. "Now then, where'd ya say your brother was?" He demanded more than ask. Conner needed to know everything about this warlock if he was going to fight him and win.

Conner looked at Teyha and a strange feeling of guilt hit him. He was beginning to regret his decision but it was too late now, the collar was on. He let out a sigh and convinced himself that it was for the greater good. After all she was just a witch. Conner's face was still stern and impassive. He had to do alot of low things in order to survive and this was just another notch to add on.

The hunter sighed, and Teyha peeked over her arms, her eyes wide and frightened. Before she could say another word, he raised his hand and snapped the collar over her in one quick motion. She gasped as the magic of the collar surged through her. For a moment her vision went fuzzy, and every muscle in her body tightened before a wave of dizziness passed over her, and she crumbled to the floor. Conner simply picked her up, and gathered her into his arms, demanding an answer to his questions. "I don't know." She repeated through gritted teeth. She clenched her eyes shut and trembled in his arms, the collar forcing her to tell more. "I ran from my family five months ago, the lived just south of Kihsakke, but I heard they moved, and I didn't bother to learn where."

It was then that she seemed to really realize what had happened. Her eyes grew wide, and her face paled considerably. Conner shoved her onto the bed, and she curled up, sobbing loudly. "I have no hope now." She yelled, raising a hand to strike the mattress, but the collar caught the action short, and she screamed in pain as it protested any act of violence at all. "To get your collar back, I must die... and even if you released me I'd be seen as a witch whereever I go. There is no hope for me.. And for what?!" She pushed herself up on her arms, trembling in strain, still unused to the magic of his charm. "I tried to stop my brother! I failed! He... He did horrible things to me as well." She ducked her head, trying to shake the feeling of neasea that washed over her as memories surfaced again, things she tried to forget. Things the collar forced her to reveal now. "He did horrid things to me. He forces himself upon women... Only my magic protected me and those around me... But I... I'm not strong enough to stop him... Every time I attempted I would be punished, and blame shifted onto me... I was helpless.... So I ran..." She sat in silence more a moment, her shoulder shaking. "I am damned to hell for sins that are not my own."

Conner sighed to himself as he sat down on the bed. He went threw so much to get the information he needed and it had all turned out to be useless. He wanted to be sympathetic to the witch but she was still just a witch to him. He ran a hand through his hair and tugged on the back of his head out of frustration. What was he going to do now? The collar was on her and it wasn't coming off anytime soon. He had put himself in quite a mess.

He looked over at Teyha with a slightly irritated look. He noticed she was shaking and seemed to be just as emotionally unstable as him but in a different way. Conner didn't even know witches felt anything besides hate. This was a new experience for him and he wasn't quite sure how to handle it. Whatever happens now, he's stuck with her forever. Usually when Conner used the collar he would get the information he needed and then would just kill the witch to get it back. He felt different however, he didn't want to kill this witch.

Still unsure of his feeling towards the witch he decided to handle the situation at hand before things got anymore stressful. "Aye lass, your coming with me. We are going to find your brother and we'll start at the place you ran away from. Get yer things, we're moving." He said coldly as he made sure he had all his items and proceeded to walk out. He didn't bother looking back, he knew she was following him, she had to.

There wasn’t anything more that Teyha could say right then. Her shoulders shook slightly as she huddled over on the bed, but she couldn’t even have that comfort to herself. Conner sat down briefly, ran his fingers through his hair, and sighed. She watched him quietly out the corner of her eye as he glared at her, a look of frustration and hate that struck her to the bone.

He ordered her to her feet, and she tried to fight against it, giving low sounds of protest as she struggled not to follow. The collar did not let the bit of disobedience last, and no sooner had she begun fighting than she was struck to the bone in horrid pain. She tumbled from the bed, falling onto a heap on the floor, and the collar kept pulling, half dragging her to follow Conner. She rose hastily to her feet, and scrambled to grab her things. Conner was already out the door as she came stumbling behind him, cloak in one hand, and her bag in the other. She tied the cloak around her neck, hiding the collar from any curious eyes, and leveled a glare at Conner, her voice dropping. “I don’t kill, and I don’t assist others in murder.” She hissed. “Whatever I think Bradyn deserves….” She shook her head slightly, knowing that a part of her did think it was what her brother deserved. She reached out and grabbed his arm, only allowed because she didn’t wish to harm him, only stall him. “You have no use for me, and as soon as someone sees the collar I will be killed…. Why force me to help in the murder of my own brother? End it now. I am dead now either way. The difference being whether I am taken quickly by your blade…. Or slowly over a small fire while a crowd watches me burn.”

Conner walked trying to clear his jumbled head. So many problems and thoughts surging through his brain. He was snapped back into reality by hand tugging on his arm. He looked back to see Teyha pleading her case to him. She had a point, that collar had marked her now and she would be prosecuted and executed before getting two miles within a church. He looked into her eyes with a face of pure discontent.

"Listen lass, that's my collar around yer pretty neck and I'm not going to let it get burned in a fire. Your mine now and it doesn't matter that neither of us like it, thats how it is." He told her with a stern voice. "You were dead the moment you were born a witch and my profession isn't much better for my health. One of us will die but until that moment approaches we are stuck with each other and the faster you come to terms wit it the faster we be getting tings done." He told her as he yanked his arm away from her and continued to walk out of the inn.

He looked back to see her behind him. "Now then, where ya from?" He demanded more than asked. If he was going to find any clues about Brayden's whereabouts it'll be at his former home. He pushed the collar issue out of his head for the moment. He needed to take care of things one at a time. First he would kill Brayden and then he would worry about the collar and the witch that wears it.

The hunter didn’t seem to care about her or the emotional state she was in. Didn’t he realize that following a hunter would draw suspicion? Eyes would go to her neck, searching for the collar that would mark her as a witch, and she couldn’t even try to hide the device with magic, or his bloodstone would activate. There was no way for her to survive this. “I am not a monster.” She told him lowly. “You humans have such convenient memories of events.”

She let that hang in the air a moment as he walked again and she followed. “You remember the black witches, the dark magic users who slay humans and call on demonic powers. You remember that they rules over this land not but four decades past… But you forget that white witches were enslaves beside humans.” She dipped her voice lower, and shot him a sideways glance. “You forget how white witches created these collars, enchanted your weapons and stones, and gave you the tools to hunt our kind.” She gestured down to his sword absently. “And now you kill without discrimination.”

She sighed, having stalled long enough on answering his question. The collar burned slightly, reminding her she had to obey. “My family originated north, near Grimsre.” She muttered, annoyed that she didn’t even have the freedom to speak freely anymore. “He will kill you.” She told him quietly. “He is easy to under estimate, and powerful…. One of the most powerful black warlocks I have heard of. He lacks control, and focus, but his brute force is unmatched. You are bringing us both in to be killed.”

"Oh don't go sayin that now, I haven't met a witch or warlock that I couldn't trash." Conner said lightly. They walked out of the town without a fuss and had made it on the trail to the north. "Grimsre ya say? It's been awhile since I'd been there." Conner looked over at Teyha as they walked. The look of disdain clear on her face. He was feeling pretty bad over the incident with the collar. Still, Conner was sure that it was a necessary action. He had heard her speech earlier about the differences between witches. He felt it was heartfelt but he still felt uncertain about witches, his past not allowing him to let down his guard around a witch.

"So what do ya like to do since your not one of these broom riding whores that love a good fight?" He asked her. Even though he was on edge around her he felt a little compelled to get to know her. If she was indeed a good witch that doesn't want to kill all humans then he wanted to know what made her tick.

They walked on the beaten path entering a small forest of trees. He knew it would be quite a journey to Grimsre. The land was very big and traverse and full of wonder and amazement; Though beautiful as it was there were it's dangers. Many beings and species that roam the wild plains out for blood. Witches wern't the only threat to humans out there. It was a non-discriminatory war on everything to determine the better species. Conner had met alot of them and killed plenty.

Conner looked away from the trail back at Teyha, his attention focused on the collar. He wondered to himself if death was the only way to break the forged bond of ownership. He could barely remember the rumors and stories he had heard amongst other hunters on ways to use the witches magics and manipulate them in different ways. Conner never really relied on magic though, he was more about cunning and strategy. He wanted to be ten steps ahead of all opponents.

There was nothing more that Teyha could say to the hunter to change him mind. Obviously he had his reasons for hating her species, and as much as she believed she was different from those he hunted, she knew a few powerful words would not heal his wounds. Action, if he allowed them... But that brought the question of would he? Would Be take her to the next village before he decided to take back his collar and leave her for dead? Or would he simply allow him to trail after him for a few weeks, until some human noticed the collar, and he killed her out of pity?

She pondered this as he led her from the village, leading her back to Grimsre again. She honestly, completely, hated that place. If it weren't for the power of the accursed collar wrapped 'round her throat, she would not tolerate returning at all. Worst, it seemed she would have to suffer through the hunters accusations the entire trip. "I am a white." She repeated, sounding somewhat annoyed of repeating it. "With my powers I am a skilled healer. I'm trained in potion making to tend to injuries, and the location and use of medical herbs."

She stretched slightly as they walked, listening carefully to the forest, and the sounds of the animals that wandered through it. "It's how I discovered I'm a witch." She said with a small, slightly depressive laugh. "I hit my thirteenth birthday and there was no power. Nor on my fourteenth. My mother drilled me on embracing the source almost daily for two years, and then gave up, thinking I didn't have a gift for it. Magic can't be taught to mortals." She shrugged slightly, her brows coming together for a moment as she remembered the day she realized she was a spellcaster. "It happened that local children where picking on a cat. They heard a rumor that swinging a dead cat in a cemetery by it's tail would ward off bad spirits. None of the boys wanted to swing about the maggoty corpse they found, so they grabbed a young mitten, and swung it high and hard... Then released." She took in a breath, shaking her head in disgust. "The poor thing hit a tombstone and cracked several bones. I brought it hope. My mother is a black witch, she has no skill in healing... But I did. Without knowing it I reached magic tending to that kitten. Instinct works just as strongly with magic as anything else, and without knowing any spells... A bungled through a healing."

Conner listened to the story. It was quite interesting to him. The healing of injuries could become very useful on the journey. "I've always been more of a dog fella myself." he said lightly. He looked around at the surrounding area, the trees had grown in numbers and was quickly becoming a dense forest. Conner wasn't too worried though, he was a witch hunter after all.

Conner's ear attuned ti the sound of what he could best figure as hooves. It was near but wasn't showing itself just yet. "Aye, you noticing that too?" He nudged to Tehya. He figured since she was a witch she would also notice the presence of a creature. Conner stood on guard, his hand grazing the handle of his dagger. He was ready to attack if needed.

Suddenly, the path cleared up and they were in a small clearing in the forest. The ground beaten to nothing but dirt. It resembled a battle ground, a ring of violence. Conner turned to see a beast roughly eight foot tall with what looked like a pair of got legs. The upper body wasn't quite a man nor a beast. Protruding from it's skull were huge bull horns. This thing did look to pleased either. Conner looked over at Tehya "Ya sure you don't be knowing any fighting?" He asked before taking out his dagger.

Teyha smiled slightly. "I like animals in general." She told him, "But cats are smarter creatures, when injured they seek out a white. Dogs stumble across us from time to time. Different levels of sensing perhaps? I have even heard tales that some witch hunters will injure a cat, and let them go, waiting to see where it runs to. Typically, it'll head for the nearest white in walking distance." She explained softly as they walked, not hearing the thundering of hooves until Conner nudged her. She jumped slightly at the contact, uncomfortable with him touching her, but listened all the same.

They broke into a clearing, and Teyha looked around, her face paling. "Oh no." She whispered, spinning around in time to see the mighty beast step forward. It towered over the both of them, a good eight feet tall, with goat legs and ram horns. "I don't know anything about killing, it goes against my duty as a healer!" She told him, resisting the urge to step back. She would stand her ground here, she would not be humiliated in front of a hunter.

"But..." She whispered, embracing her magic. The bloodstone 'round Conners neck faded immediately to white, and a golden light sparkled around Teyha's fingers, lit with a powerful ancient magic. "If I can get to it's back I can imobolize it for a time, a few hours. It wont be able to chase us through the woods then." She shrugged slightly. "I'm sure you just want to kill it, but I would prefer to avoid shedding a creatures blood."

Conner glanced down at his necklace with a slight shock, he had only seen it shine white one time before now. "Aye, your a special one." he murmured to himself. He looked back over at Teyha as her fingers began to glow. "the best ya got lass? It'll have to do, but remember it was your idea." He said to her with doubt. The beast let out a loud growl the gain their attention. "Your in my den now little ones. Your life is no longer!" He bellowed out. Conner cocked an eyebrow and looked over at Teyha. "Guess reasoning wit him at of much use is it?" He remarked.

The beast began to shove its hoof into the dirt and kick up dirt, signaling he was about to charge. Conner knew they couldn't outrun the beast to the forest. He was blocking the way they came and had a feeling that it was all planned. "Run now, i'll get his attention and then you can do whatever it is you be doing to help the situation." He told her as he began to run towards the beast. The beast charged and took of at thunderous speed. However, the beast swerved away from Conner and went for Teyha, who was running towards the forest. "Fuckin' Aye!" Conner shouted as he quickly switched directions and ran for Teyha too. The beast was closing in but Conner was catching up. Conner was now neck and neck with the beast. The beast bent forward, ready to gore the witch. Conner got a last bust of momentum and reached out for Teyha's hand. He grabbed it and yanked Teyha away, causing him to move in the direct path of the beast.

The beast's head slammed into Conner's side. The impacted sending him flying through the air and slamming into a tree. His body went limp as he fell after the impact that left a slight dent into the tree. He crashed to the ground, motionless. The beast lifted its head high in the air. He began to laugh at what he did. "HaHAhahaha, You are no match for Kalkervic the mighty!" The beast laughed out. He then switched his attention to Teyha and smiled. "A woman! I haven't had one since yesterday! I'll savor you." He yelled out to her. He stood over her ready to grab her up when he heard something. "Tat all ya got boyo, me ma hit harder then that!" The beast turned around to see Conner already approaching him. "It aint done til it's done, now finish the job!" Conner yelled at the beast as he stood toe to hoof with it.

Teyha barely paid any mind to the color of his dragonstone, she knew it'd flash white for her magic. "I'm not a fighter!" She hissed again, and jumped when the beast roared. Teyha jumped slightly, her eyes wide and locked on the beast as it bellowed. She took a half step back, and glanced nervously at Conner, her stomach twisted in knots. "They are territorial creatures." She told him. "We should have been watching our step..."

As soon as she spoke the beast reared back, it's hoofs scraping the ground. She watched in horror as it reared back, obviously about to charge. Conner screamed for her to run, and she didn't need a second order. She ran as hard as she could to get around the beast, but as soon as she set off it charged after her. She let out a screech, covering her head with her hands as she turned to run away from it, her eyes low to ensure she wouldn't trip. She could hear it's thundering steps growing closer, and closer, and thought for sure it was going to crash in her.

At the last second she was tugged away, and watched in horror as the creature slammed into the hunter. He managed to miss the creatures horns, but flew across the clearing, and slammed into the tree, falling into a lifeless heap on the ground. "Conner!" Teyha shouted, taking a step to run after him. The creature blocked her way though, and she stared up at her, a twisted smile on it's horrible face as it laughed. His words made her face drain of blood, and she actually found herself hoping that he meant to eat her.

Just as it reached out for her a familiar voice rang through the clearing, and Teyha looked to see the hunter moving towards them again, daring the beast to approach. The monster turned to face him, and Teyha's eyes narrowed, her fingers glowing again. When it turned her back to her she charged, hand outstretched to catch it on the back.

She managed to jump, and just as she thought she would reach it's back to cast her spell it turned. "Woman!" It bellowed. "I will have you later!" It's mighty hand caught Teyha's, and he swung her as easily as if she were made of cloth. She screamed, and it laughed loudly, lunging towards Conner. It raised it's mighty arm, and swung Teyha straight down, as if she were a club to beat him with.

Back
Top Bottom