Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Doomed City

Lost Legacy

Lusting for the Dark
Jerakath slipped into the city quite easily. These humans thought they were so untouchable. To wise and intelligent for the rest of the world to touch them. It made him sick the kind of arrogance they bred. No one noticed him as he arose from the waters bubbling and boiling. Arising in the gardens his wraps clinging to his skin, dripping wet. His body was covered from head to toe in wrappings that were dingy yet no matter how much they drug through the dirt would not get dirtier. The tops of his shoulders were exposed revealing a tan, sun kissed, patch of skin. His left eye was covered while the right was kept free from the wraps revealing a glaring red eye, that would seem to never waver. The lips that twitched to a frown were also free from the bindings allow any to see his expression. The wrappings moved with him like a second skin when most have either collapsed from the weight or entangled their feet.

He looked around. It seemed he had arose in the gardens. The open area was filled with all sorts of exotic plants and even a few exotic animals that were allowed to roam free. Jerakath headed to the entrance of leaving it open to the world of luxury. At least that was what locals said. Jerakath was here to check up on the humans. He was sent by the gods. To see if the arrogance had exceeded their respect for the gods.

The sun was just starting to rise over sea that was connected to the city that was surrounded by water with grand bridges stretching to the land behind them, the city was truly breath taking to the human eye, tall stone buildings that stood proud as well as the houses that littered the ground beneath them, the people were just beginning to rise for the new day when he arrived in the city as well as one particular individual, a girl, no more that 17, walked out of her house and looked around the street with her bright green eyes that were slightly graced with her long black/ brown hair, she has fair skin and was of average height of 5`6 and rather slender but built in the same way that was still beautiful, she wore a white halter top that showed her stomach and bottoms that mimicked bikini bottoms, but were hidden by a skirt that fell near her knees and had bits of blues and whites and golds mixed in, she had a nose piercing that was small but not over done as well as her ears done in the same way, she walked down the street greeting her family and a few of her friends that joined her all laughing, and filling her in on the joke, a blush fell over her cheeks before she turned her head around to see a man loading up his cart of goods for the days trades, he was handsome and young built in all the right ways, she kept her blush and pushed her friends playfuly " stop it he doesn't like me " she shook her head as they went to the nursery to look at the new borns.

Jerakath walked around the garden, making sure to be hidden from sight, looking for a side exit so he could take the roads not as commonly traversed as the rest. He saw the best and the worst of the city within minutes of exploring. Couples walking around, laughing, and sharing romantic moments. He saw deals being made in the dark hidden from the public eye. Though he made sure they never saw him. He was not to be seen until he had made his way around the temple. It would be in that moment that he would show himself to this city. Either to greet them as welcomed followers, or destroy them as heretics to the faith, was still to be determined.

He found his path out of the gardens leading to one of the many back roads of the city, he searched some of the near by trash looking for something to cover up his figure. He walked the back roads making sure to keep his head low, wearing a robe, of some religious sect, very dirty and unkempt. He decided to walk around the city to see the common folk and determine their worth. He walked past all sorts of public areas. The market, the public baths, city laborers, until he came to his final destination till the temple. He was not pleased so far. The people were making his job fairly difficult. There were to many who praised the gods, to the point that one could not tell if it was just a saying now, or if they were actually paying tribute. He did notice offering were slim in the houses he passed, but one place was sure to have offerings to the gods. The nursery.

She was there with some of the nursery mothers and had branched off from her friends who were giggling and playing with a few of the infants as well as the new babies, Charis however had gone on her own sitting in a chair and holding the baby easily and just looking at it while rocking gently, and smiling at the other babies as she rocked slowly, she yawned slightly and bounced the baby slightly before putting him up and got up patting her friends back and telling them she would see them later before walking out the door, to take her short stroll through the garden, she made sure nobody was following her, she wanted to be alone.

As he moved towards the nursery he thought he saw a familiar face. A girl that he somehow remembered. This was impossible, he had only been to this city once before long ago, and he had let no one see him at the time. He shook off the thought and walked into the nursery. It finally giving him the clues as to how far out of touch the people were with reality. There were virtually no, offerings to the gods. His master would not be pleased. The blessings of for the babies used to be one of the most important traditions for these people. Now it seemed as a distant, foreign practice. He quickly made his way to the temple. It was back across the city where he would once again pass the sites he had seen, and he grew even more displeased, to the point he was shoving people over as he walked. He entered the temple in a great scene shoving two priests over.

She walked in the garden with her hands behind her back and sighed softly looking up to the beautiful sky, she tilted her head slightly and raised her arms above her head and hoped on the head stones that floated in the water, she had almost perfect balance as she stood on one foot and stretched her arms out above her head again and raising her foot in perfect alignment with her back, she then spun around quickly and landed on another stone easily, she hoped before going forward and pushing off of the rock with her hands and landing back on one of the stones keeping her balance, she moved across the small pond and ended up on the far side of the temple, she heard shouts and tilted her head slightly before running up to the temple and moving through the halls before going to the main hall " what is going on " she whispered to her mother as she came rushing towards her " a man has barged into the temple we don't know who he is, but he isn't an atlantian, you need to leave now Charis" her mother was fighting with her to get her to leave but she wouldn't, she looked up and stared straight at the man that walked in and just stared, he was familier.....where had she seen him.

Jerakath looked upon the people, forgetting of his supposed cover, ripping apart the priests clothes he wore. "Where is the high priest? I demand to see the high priest!" He was flinging his arms in rage, pacing in circles, not paying any attention to the crowd that was coming. Two rather burly men, dressed in the uniform of guardsmen, rushed to subdue him only to be flung away like small children. The two landing into the crowd dazed.

An old man came out from a near by room, crippled in nearly blind. He wore the apparel of the high priest though none could tell if he truly was, for few came to see him in this age of prosperity. He came threw the great mob carefully and fearfully. His frail body shaking as he approached the raving man. Jerakath looked at him scoffing, "Are you to blame for this-this cesspool of vile, arrogance? Have you forgotten where it is that you gain such fortune?!"

The old man stumbled back words, at the demons harsh words. Quickly being overshadowed by the large creature. He trembled speaking nonsense out of fear only further angering Jerakath. "You decrepit creatures are not worth your gods, favor." Jerakath raised his arm to strike the old man, now just kneeling, on the ground begging for forgiveness.

She saw this and shouted " STOP!" she pushed her mother back lightly and walked forward getting in front of the priest who just happened to be her grandfather, she stood there looking at the demon trying not to show fear in her eyes, he looked familiar to her and she couldn't forget him, she had seen him appear in the garden she was just in and they did meet, she had been distracted by him that she had fallen in the water while trying to balance on the head stones, she was no younger that 5 and he had pulled her from the water. Everything else was a blur to her because that was all she remembered, she turned her head slightly looking at him with her green eyes wondering if he did remember her " it isn't fair to strike a man when he is down, and even more unfair when he is old and blind in one eye" she said bravely to him as she looked at that red eye of his.

Jerakath's hand stopped. Not because some human said to but because she did. As soon as he saw her face closely he knew who it was. She looked just like the little girl he had met nearly ten years ago. It seemed so weird now staring into those now grown eyes, so unlike the child like ones he had looked into before. She had kept him preoccupied the last time he had came to the city, helping him see all of its worth. All the reasons it should have kept the god's favor. Yet he was still not one to back down, once anger with out great cause. "And just why should I care about those things, when this man who was solely responsible for this city, and what it has become? A city that turns its back on its creatures in arrogance, who pass the gods names around as if they were nothing. A city that refuses to even pay homage to the gods? Tell me daughter of man why is it I should spare him when he has let this come to pass?" His one eye quickly turned from her to the entire crowed around him. "Why should I spare any of these fools?!"

She watched him and saw him stop, maybe he did remember her but she wasn't going to press her luck, " the gods have done nothing for us in the past five years, we have had horrible hurricanes destroy our cities, and a plague wipe half our city's population out last winter, babies have been being born left and right since then, and there are to many to take the gods blessing at once" she said as if she wasn't scared of him, now that she knew who he was it wasn't so bad to stand up to him, she didn't speak of their meeting in-front of everyone but a few of the guards came and got the priest up and helped him back to the back for him to lay down.

Jerakath's eyes flared in outrage. "How dare you blame your misery on the gods! You vile little vermin wouldn't even be alive if not for the gods! It is talking like such that has brought this misery you claim to be having, though I saw little misery in your faces as I walked the streets, watching you enjoy the gifts of the gods." The anger caused by her accusations, quickly boiling over, his movements would become soon become violent, with no clear targets.

Jerakath" she whispered softly before walking up close to him looking up in his face " you are right there is no excuse, we have wronged the gods in accusing them, we can only beg for forgiveness" she said and bowed her head to him and looked up at him again, she didn't know what to do she was ashamed of how the temple has been acting lately and she had come today to try and get them to call a meeting about it, but she wasn't sure what to offer him in forgiveness.

Jerakath suddenly stopped, in motion no longer. Few had ever said his name. Very few indeed. "Cha..." He shook his head. No he couldn't let her get to him. He could not allow her to cloud his judgment. "You are right. You must beg for forgiveness. This city will have two weeks to seek redemption before the gods seek their vengeance upon you fools." He said harshly directed the crowd. It was not normal to give the people a second chance, but he would do so this time, if only for her. He couldn't believe it. Pushed over by a few soft words. His rage nearly completely wiped out by a single woman. He walked through the crowds, a path opening for him. He never looked back, at the woman who had been the only to break his rage twice.

She stood there and watched him leave, she breathed softly before her mother came to her and hugged her, she waved her off " go call the council, we need to fix this today" she said before walking away from her mother before looking back at everyone before following where he went, she looked around and frowned slightly sighing softly and moving towards the back to go towards the garden again, she breathed softly calming herself down before walking across the head stones and into the garden again.

Jerakath looked around the garden sighing. After five years of begging for the gods to send him back to the city, bored in the underworld, he now wished nothing more than to go back, and be left alone. But he had to stay here for two weeks now and see if the Alantians would change their ways. He doubted it. It would all be just one big waist of time. Walking through the garden he noticed the little girl following him and he gave out a long and deep sigh. "What is it that you want from me, little girl?" There was no longer anyone in the gardens. Everyone was now gathering at the temple, the scene he had caused had drawn quite a crowd.

"Jerakath im not so little anymore" she looked at him before walking closer to him and looking up at the sky standing next to him then looking at him again, she didn't know what to say to him, she knew he had a short temper and she did sometimes say the wrong things that he found ignorant and got angry over, but he never did raise his voice at her when she was younger " and what makes your think i want something from you, i am just coming to say hello" she said and looked away from him pushing her hair back and looked back into that red eye of his " i did miss you, even tho i was young and thought everyone was nice when i should of stayed away, im still not scared of you ya know"

Jerakath scoffed. "Who said that I was talking about size. And only fools do not fear, something that is dangerous. With such an attitude this city will be gone by the end of the month." He looked down at the woman he once known as a little girl. "So then, you have said hello. Now scram before you anger me further." His wish to be alone was still strong, though her arrogance now instead of angering him, only amused.

She looked at him and smiled "Call me a fool then, but i know you are lying to me" she teased him looking up at his face still smiling " you really don't want me gone " she said and leaned back slightly looking around the garden again with mild interest, before looking at his seeing as he hadn't budged on and answer she shrugged and stood there stubbornly before looking at him out of the corner of her eyes " i always thought that you were like a misunderstood angel that had to go back and prove himself, and that one day you would show up again" she looked at him now with admiring eyes" I am still faithful to the gods, tho my people are lacking in that department it doesn't mean everyone should be punished for what those handful of people have done... unless i have been lied to" she frowned at the thought and turned away from him again.

He remained unmoved until her last comment, in which he looked at her in shock. "Me an angel?" He laughed deeply. "I'm as far away from an angel as you can get. And I have to prove nothing to anyone. All I must do is, my duty." He chose to remain silent about the masses dieing for the few. It was often the case in many of the cities he had set for the gods anger. The thought that he had killed thousands of innocents, only now coming to the forefront of his mind. His one red eye then looking back into the pond of which he had been looking at, hoping she would just leave him be. He was unused to this kind of companionship, and it was unnerving to him. Casting him off balance.

She watched him and smiled " what did i know, i was only 7 then" she smiled again and walked over to him, looking him in that one eye of his with her green ones " i don't want to know why your here... because its bad considering what happened in the temple, and i don't want to know what is coming if everyone doesn't do what was promised" she looked away but still stood close to him before walking away then turning back to him " if you need a place to stay i can take you to my home" she said watching him wondering if he would except or just be like he always was a bit of a stick in the mudd, she swore that if it wasn't for her being persistent as a child he wouldn't of spent the day with her and her child like mannerisms.

He looked down on her, for once with no sign of shock or aw. "The years have done very little to your mind then. One would think you would have learned what to fear by now." He took in a deep sigh, his eye closing as he spoke again. "No, I will stay in the city. I must watch the people, and hope that you fix your mistakes. It is not for me to rest now." He had been resting for five years, and now was his time to be active once more. He would likely not sleep for the time he was in the city, it would be a waste of time, where he could be watching the people, learning their ways, learning the ways of this world. She had pressed him to the edge of exhaustion when he was here last. Children he found, could be move on very little rest for a very long amounts of time.

She looked at him and smiled before nodding to him " well then if you need to eat your welcome to join me for dinner" she said and walked back over to him looking at him in that one eye of his before smiling " hummm" she then leaned forward and kissed his cheek softly before turning and waving her hand back at him " good-bye Jerakath " she said and continued to smile as she walked out of the garden and into the streets heading for the ruins to be by herself, and she liked watching the city from so high up.

Jerakath stood there unmoved and unmoving the entire time, looking out into the garden. It was not until she had kissed him did he show a crack in his cold stoutness. His whole body seemed to jerk as she had done so. Not in any particular way, but more so as if his body had suddenly come to life after years of sleeping. Her warm touch was far different to the cold air he had felt but a moment earlier. But this show of weakness lasted only a moment, quickly regaining his composer, stiffening back up. Replying, "I shall be fine here for the night thank you very much."

She sighed and looked around from her high perch and gazed down at the people flocking to the temple, she tilted her head and smiled as she sat down letting her leg swing before listening to what her mother said, it was nothing new to her and smiled that they were taking action, but she felt that wasn't enough, she looked to the garden seeing the black figure standing in the garden the same place she left him and smiled before turning back to her mother's words.

Jerakath stood in silence listening to the crowd, trying to push Charis to the back of his mind. They were growing larger and larger by the second, it seems his little scene had affected the city. Now it was only a matter of time to tell if such a reaction was just a show or if they were truly changing their ways. It mattered little to Jerakath now. All he was here to do was observe and if needed tell the gods of the cities sin. His mind shifted to how he would stay in the city for two weeks. It would only be a matter of time before the people found him standing there and would crowd around, like some new sight to see. He would have to find a new spot to stay soon. Charis' offer now sounding appealing.

Back
Top Bottom