Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Demon's Rampage

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderaGraySky

Super-Earth
This wasn't how she expected her day to end.

When she awoke to the sun shining between her drapes, she never imagined it'd be the last time she slept in that bed or room. She had no idea it would be the last time she'd be living under that roof.

She found his body in the study and there had been blood everywhere.

It had to have happened sometime in the night, though she didn't know how she didn't hear the screams. She had not stirred at all that night. Nothing had brought her out of her slumber and her master was dead.

No one even knew what the cause of death actually was. His body had been mangled after death had already seeped in; something had killed him and then destroyed his body for sport.

Skylar shivered at the thought of it. She wrapped her cloak closer, but it did little good against the trepidation. It sank into her bones and her teeth chattered loudly from the shakes. She had no where to go and was wandering the city aimlessly, all that she possessed in the case slung over her shoulder.

As she turned a corner, something made her heart skip a beat. Not one to be anxious, she slowly turned to see what had caused her distress. When her eyes landed on it, they widened and she took a frightened step back.

Behind her stood a figure draped in a dark hood, masking any figure or facial distinctions. Night had already fallen, casting dark shadows upon everything. Under the hood shone phosphorescent red and yellow eyes.

Without a word, it rushed her. She barely had time to bring up a defensive spell, placing a barrier between herself and her attacker, but it only stopped the creature for a second. The thing cackled before shattering her spell with the snap of its clawed fingers. She barely had the strength to scream.

A hood, shading the marble white skin, of an unwanted creature. Just another misplacement on this earth, originally created by devious Demons. Another Demons spawn, even to his own eyes. He despised what he was, but knew nothing would ever change it. So he lived with it. And spend his existence, eradicating creatures such as himself. That was the life of Archibald Einhand Marchen. Forever hidden from the outside word, whilst keeping a balance between the realm of Demons, and that of Humans. He had seen in a nightmare, what a world it would become, was it not for agents, such as himself. Shadow hunters, who stalked the earth for Demons and its spawn. Most of the Shadow Hunters, did it to protect humanity. Arch did not. Arch did it, because he hated them. A deep and burning hatred, that forced him into solitude, unable to socialize with the rest of the world. He was an unstable ticking machine. He, was a Vampire, wearing his burning red eyes as a crown, to the horrid destiny he bared. So far, he made a living off animal blood, only a few times having feasted on human blood. And those times, he'd never taken a life. But he knew, that the taste of human blood was sweeter. And one day, he'd break his vow, never to kill a human being.

On a street, not so far away from the one Skylar was on, the tall hooded figure, made his way for the forest. He'd only been in town, to have a look for a few things he needed, before leaving for the next village. And now as he left, his red eyes stared to the ground, as they always did. In public, he did it to hide the bright red eyes. And during the night, it was just a habit.
As he strode over the street, his eyes started slowly glowing brighter. This stopped him in his tracks, and his gaze was almost shot, in Skylar's direction. With a his and a few quick steps, he jumped to one of the rooftops between the street he was on, and the one she was. He jumped from that straw roof, down to the street, setting off at a high pace, towards what he knew, was a Demon.
With only a house between him, Skylar and the Demon, he leaped up upon the roof, quickly removing his bow from his back, and an arrow from its quiver. The arrow was placed on the string and pulled back, as a word was uttered from his lips. And before he landed on the ground, he'd sent an arrow flying, shot directly towards the Demon, from above them both. This made sure, the arrow wouldn't hit Skylar, whilst giving him as big a chance to hit, as it was him possible. Midway through the air, the arrow took to a purple color, and if it hit the Demon, the arrow would break, as if it was made of glass, and several splinters would fire into the Demons body. It was a powerful force spell, intended to push the Demon away from Skylar. Should the arrow miss, it would pierce the ground, like any other arrow would.

The barrier may have broken, but Skylar wasn't defenseless. She threw an angry spell at the creature, which would have caused great pain as electricity ran through its body, but the beast dodged it faster than should have been possible. It didn't, however, dodge the arrow that came from seemingly no where.

It gave out a startled shriek and threw up its large, clawed hands. Skylar was impressed, but frightened by the amount of power seeping from the demon. It was intoxicating and almost made her delirious, but she held onto her own power with a strong hold, determined to not give into this monster's antics.

She didn't know where the arrow had come from, but she used this opportunity to try another spell. It hit the creature that was trying desperately to rip the arrow from its flesh. Hard to do, when it'd broken into pieces inside. Though dark, Skylar could see the damage the arrow had inflicted.

Her eyes skittered to the rooftops around her, but she was unable to see anything so far away. She returned her gaze to her opponent, only to find it was gone.

Giving out a heavy, shallow breath, she lowered her arms and the charms on her bracelets faded from their glowing disposition. She again swept her gaze around. Who had shot the arrow? And where had that creature gone? Was it coming back?

That's when she noticed she was bleeding.

Glancing down, she saw a puddle of blood forming on the ground. Brows raised, she checked her body and found a large gash in her thigh. Wondering when that had happened, she pressed a hand to the visible torn flesh and winced at the sting. Her hand was drenched in red.

Drawing another arrow from his quiver, he started sprinting closer to the Demons destination, but as he left the shadows, where Skylar would be capable of seeing him, the Demon was no longer in sight. "Damn it." He silently whispered, before moving closer to Skylar. Her blood stung against his senses, causing him to shiver and grind his teeth together. He shook his head with a twitch to the side, before coming even closer to the young woman. As if he didn't care, he walked up behind her, and passed her, only to kneel where the Demon had stood, before it'd vanished. He knelt to the ground, gazing at the many splinters from his arrow, that'd dropped to the ground, rather then sticking to the monster. The arrow hit it, yet it still managed to displace itself. This was a powerful creature. Much too powerful, to be aiming for a simple sorceress. There was more to this woman, than initially expected. First then did he raise, so far completely ignoring any word from Skylar, should she have spoken to him, now gazing back at her, still with an arrow on his bows string. His eyes first searched hers, before finally giving attention to the wound.

"Keep the pressure tight." He almost demanded, as he put the arrow back in its quiver, taking the few steps between them to kneel down in front of her. "You where lucky that it only got to this." He mumbled, as he put the strong wood bow to the ground before starting to search through his pouch with a hand, as he gazed up upon her eyes again, now letting her see the burning red eyes, upon almost marble white skin. "Or is there more to you, then first eye glance can tell?" He asked, his eyes narrowing a bit, as he took a bandage from his pouch. His eyes then fell to the wound again, reaching up with the bandage, waiting for her to remove her hand. "Let go." He expected her to do so, and if she did, he started bandaging the wound. "This isn't a final solution though. You'll need it disinfected and stitched, or mended by a healer. And I neither have thread, nor disinfectants with me." He said. He didn't even allow the woman much chance, to negate his actions, being rather forceful with the bandage, if she had actually removed her hand. But however forceful, his hands where gentle and soft, as they cared for the soft, fragile skin of her wounded leg.

Skylar watched the dark figure in silence, questions racing through her mind, but her lips unable to utter a single one. Who this man was and what he was doing here, she had no idea, and why she had been attacked, well...

Did it have something to do with her master's death?

Then the man was at her feet, commanding her what to do with her wound. She knew what to do, of course-- she'd mended many wounds in her time as an apprentice sorceress. There were many lessons that left her with broken limbs, burned skin, torn flesh; any and every possible way to injure the body, she'd endured and learned to heal.

But she was too distracted by the recent events to find the words to say so; more so, probably, from the man touching her wounded skin. Despite herself, she felt a blush creep to her cheeks and while the man hadn't exactly been friendly in his tone, she was grateful for his consideration all the same. "Thank you," she finally managed to say with a voice that cracked. She coughed, swallowed, and tried again. "Thank you. For saving me, and," she gestured at him kneeling before her, "for the bandage. I can heal it. I just... need a quiet place to work." She glanced around. Was the demon going to come back? Where could she go where the demon won't follow?

Why did she think it would follow her?

That, she thought to herself, is a very good question.

Her gaze went back to the man who had saved her life. His eyes was rather frightening, especially after that encounter with... whatever it was. But there was also something very intriguing by the blood-red opals. Goosebumps rose on her skin as it dawn her the nature of this creature. He was a vampire.

The woman's silence, wasn't truly a surprise. Ones first meeting with a Demon, was usually the most shocking moment in ones life. However, she took it a lot better then he would've thought. He hadn't seen the spells she'd cast, so didn't know how strong she was yet. But something most deffinetely had to be inside her, for creatures like the former one, to hunt her. And what had it even been? He could usually feel the Demons origin and creation, sometimes even lead back to their summoner. But this one. This one had been powerful. And not even in its full form yet. Not at full strength. His eyes the gazed back to the woman's eyes, a bit surprised to see the heat swell in her cheeks, causing him to shiver inside. Damn blood.

He then rose to his feet, after finishing the bandage, just as she spoke. He nodded lightly a single time as a welcome, about to utter the words as well, before she mentioned her ability to heal it. He grunted lightly, with what could've seemed like a chuckle. "Well. You could have told me that, before I used a good bandage on it..." He complained, with a somewhat sarcastic voice, chuckling a single time gain, before pushing back his hood, showing an elegant face, wearing long black hair, that would reach his shoulders, had his ranger cloak not been in the way. "Well then. Do you have a housing, somewhere in this town? Somewhere. 'quite' for you to work? I have questions, that needs answering, before I'll be leaving you alone." He demanded her audience, but allowed her to pick the place, unknowing she had none.

She smiled at her his rueful joke, lips curling like a cat's. Her bright, piercing gray-blue eyes searched his for a second, deciding that the red eyes suited him. When he pulled back the hood, she was even more shocked to find him... well, more attractive than she'd already noticed.

Blinking rapidly, as his questions sunk in, she readjusted the strap on her shoulder. "Um..." Glancing around, she realized there was no point in lying. She couldn't go back to her home-- which, really wasn't her home anymore-- since it was crawling with authorities, so she told the truth. "I don't have a home, at the moment. My master was murdered today." Realizing how strange that sounded, she clarified by saying, "I'm an apprentice sorceress."

She fidgeted on her wounded leg, the sting sinking into her skin. It also had a lingering burn, but there was nothing she could do about the pain at this moment. She was glad for the blood to have finally stopped.

"You don't really have to come with me," she said, not sure why he wanted to in the first place. It was nice of him to offer, but... "Thanks for saving me, but I can take of myself." She offered him a toothy, reassuring smile, but knew it looked as fake as it felt.

The smile on her lips, had caused a longing inside him, he hadn't felt for a long time, and he tried to shake it away with the shiver, running through his spine. He tried to push the thoughts in his mind aside, as he waited for her to tell him, where she lived. He didn't need others. He didn't want to have a companion follow him. He just wanted his questions answered, maybe use her to find the Demon that'd attacked her, kill it, and then vanish as he always did. Yes, that was his plan. Or at least, so he told himself.

As she hesitated her answer, Arch eyed her searchingly, with a brow risen. A beautiful woman like her, couldn't possibly be without housing in a human town? It should be easy for her, to find a place to live. And her clothing didn't exactly set her off as a homeless. But then as she admitted her predicament, Arch curved a slight frown on his lips, followed by a thoughtful pout. Then as she mentioned her apprentice ship, as if she wanted to clarify the word 'Master', he gazed back to her as well. It didn't really come as a surprise, but he found her need to clarify it, rather amusing. As if she really didn't want him to mistake her a maid, or slave. He chuckled a single time, as he started removing his cloak, revealing a leather armor bellow it, that had only been visible a tiny bit from the front, with his cloak still on. It could cover the entire body, if it was pulled close around a person. "Well, that much I had figured. First of all, Maids and slaves to a Master, rarely god around dressed as beautiful as you. Secondly, they don't know how to fend off enemies. And you did rather well at that. All things considered." He said with an almost hidden smile, as he swung the cloak over her shoulders, trying to pull it around her. Both to keep her warm, and for another reason. "Here. Hide that wound of yours, and I'll get us a room in the Inn, down the street. I want that wound healed, as soon as possible. I don't want you to faint on me, before I have my answers." He demanded, trying to make sure the cloak was well around her, before pulling the hood over her head.

Then as she reasured him, that she could take care of herself, he chuckled lightly, with a brow raised to the sky. "I've always found you humans sense of bravery.. Amusing." He chuckled lightly, before trying to lead her towards the Inn nearby, keeping pace with her, should she have gotten a limp, to slow her down. "You can take care of yourself? Do you have.. Any experience. In expelling Demons? Do you even know a Desummoning ritual? A Dark Binding spell, to lock them down? The Demon that just attacked you, had a reason to do so. Something as powerful as that, would not have attacked an apprentice sorceress, without a reason." He explained. "But don't worry. As soon as I have my answers, I am counting on leaving you, to take care of yourself. I just have a few questions, as soon as that wound has been healed." He said, gazing forward now to remove his eye contact with her. Everything within him, told him he should leave the human, as soon as he'd gotten his answers. But something had woken inside him. Something that'd been hidden, for a long time. A warm feeling, within his chest. Distant, to a creature of death and decay, as himself.

Not a particularly small woman, she was shocked by the tall stranger as he draped his cloak around her, enshrouding her in a strength she couldn't comprehend. Swallowing hard, she allowed this; her heart made a slight protest in her chest, but she wasn't quite sure why. So she leaned in to the stranger's lean form, impressed by the muscles she felt beneath layered clothing, and began a slow trudge with him to the inn. There seemed futile to try to argue now.

She wrinkled her nose at his comment about banishing demons and said, "I know some. I'm not finished with my apprenticeship yet, but I've come a long way. Master said he'd never seen a student flourish so well." At that, her faced became a slight pink and she said, "Not that I mean to brag. I'm just saying I can defend myself." Or can I? she wondered, not sure if she would have survived had he not come along.

Though he made it clear he'd be leaving this night, something inside her stirred, asking him to stay. She didn't voice this part of her. She chewed a lip and said instead, "My name's Skylar. What's yours?"

He could almost feel the jump of her beating heart, sending more adrenaline and warmth through her veins, making that delicious blood, even more invasive to his senses. He had to hide the wrinkle of his nose, and his mind raged at his own being, for wanting to sink his teeth, into her fragile skin. But he did want it, and he couldn't deny that fact. Only fight the urge, and try to make their encounter as short as possible, putting as much distance between them, as possible. He had to. A sorceress' blood, was so much more rewarding. So much stronger, and would leave him in a haze of increased instincts and power, for a long, long time should he actually end up taking it. But he couldn't. He wouldn't. There was something else inside him, urging him to stay with her. He lied to himself, saying in his mind that it was his protective nature. But since when did he get protective towards others, rather then the ignorant self he used to portrait.

As she explain, a small smile curved his lips, holding up a hand in apology. He hadn't meant to offend her, but he was rather sure, she knew she wasn't entirely ready for what was ahead. "I did not mean to offend you, Sorceress. However, that was no mere Voidling attacking you. That was a Demon Lord. A Master of Demons, hungering for something you have. But I believe you. You are stronger, then eyes first glance." He agreed with a small nod, not interested in making a dent in her pride. He was actually quite surprised, that an apprentice had managed to shield off a Demon Lord enough, to only receive a scratch. A normal apprentice would've been torn to pieces, and gorged upon for her power. But she. Actually managed to defend herself, for longer then a minutte. Her Master had trained her well.

Then as she said her name, and asked for his, they where nearing the Inn, and he smiled softly. "Long and dreary, miss Skylar. Call me Arch." He said, before opening the Den of debautury. Scum and criminals. Whores, call girls and waiters. He made very sure, that the hood remained enclosed over Skylars face, and the cloak around her body, not interested in calling in any attention, from the different scum in the Inn. He sternly made their way to the bar, eyeing the owner with a stare. "Room for one. One night" He demanded, taking out a pouch from his belt, placing it on the counter. "No questions asked." He added, opening his hand to get a key. The Inn keeper narrowed his eyes, but took the pouch, and offered a key, knowing the pouch contained much more, then what a room for one night would cost. "Upstairs. Third door on the left." The large man said, with a hand aimed towards the stairway. Arch took the key, and started leading towards the stairs.

Arch? An interesting name... and what was it about his voice that sent tantalizing chills down her spine?

She was rather surprised as his defensive nature in the inn. Living an orphaned life for many years, she was accustomed to the lowly folk, as she used to be one of them. It was still strange to her to be dressed in such garish finery and live in a lovely home-- well, lived, now.

Back to the lowly life, it seemed. She tried not to sigh.

They made their way up the stairs and it wasn't until that moment that she realized how much blood she'd initially lost. Head light and steps becoming weaker by the second, Skylar fought to keep herself steady. When they reached the room, a sigh of relief escaped her lips and her body went limp as it sagged to the floor.

The room itself was of moderate size, but with only one bed. A window looked out into the vast density of buildings that made up the capitol and she stared out at the night's sky for a few moments. "It's such a lovely night." Such a silly thing to say, but the blood loss was catching up to her. All she wanted to do now was sleep, but she had to heal...

As they made their way up the stairs, and towards the room, he felt her body getting heavier, and started offering her more and more leverage. He felt the blood loss inside her, and shook his head with a soft sigh. She'd tried to seem stronger then she really was, either forgetting how bad the wound was, or ignoring it to stay brave. Why? Why would she do that? Why not just tell him, how urgent it'd been. He realized, she might have kept it from him, to save him the trouble of helping her earlier. For his sake. What a foolish human thing... He thought to himself, whilst also smiling a bit at it.

Then, as they entered the room, and she almost dropped to the floor, Arch quickly got a hold of her, holding her close to his body as he sighed. "You should have told me, how much blood you where losing, Miss." He complained softly, before carrying her to the bed, gently sitting her down, with her legs falling from the edge of it. "Your in no condition, to heal anything tonight. Not even a needle puncture." He chuckled softly, making sure she knew he was sarcastic. Even he could heal a needle puncture. By. Waiting a second. "I'll redo the bandage. Tighter this time. And then we'll see tomorrow, if your body can regenerate enough strength for you, to heal it. Alright? if not. I have other ways, but lets save that worry for tomorrow." He said, smiling lightly, waiting for her to reply. To see if she still thought herself able to heal it. And if she did, he would let her. If she admitted she'd be unable to, he spread her legs a bit, pushing clothing out of the way, to get to her bandage. And with the same soft hands as before, he lift her leg a bit, removing the blood bandage, only to place a new one on it, this one with a stick inside it, to keep a tighter pressure on the wound. Obviously with gauze between the stick and the wound, not interested in causing an infection. And as soon as he finished, he put her legs back together, and turned her around on the bed, pulling the blanket over her to keep her warm, before he stood up, still looking down on her. "You are strong. No doubt about that. But remember. I'm certain your Master gave you this lesson as well. Only a fool overestimates his strength, and is hesitant to accept others help." He said, curving a hint of a smile at the edge of his lips, before walking to the window, with his back turned to her. It was a beautiful night. Though it would've been a bit better, if he didn't have to worry about a blood Demon Lord.

She barely had the strength to mumble a soft, "Thank you," as the man helped ease her into new bandages. He was right; there was no way she'd have the strength to heal now. She didn't realized how much blood had been lost. The pain was a steady throb, but not enough to make her cringe. When Arch's firm yet gentle fingers found her flesh, she fought herself from moaning softly. She didn't know why, but there was something very arousing by the way he caressed her skin. Ignoring it, she tried to focus on Arch's words.

He was certainly right about her master. Was there a lesson in all of this? Was he protecting her from something maybe?

Like that demon?

It was all too much and her head spun. Slowly her lids closed and the world was encased in darkness. When her eyes opened again, there was a faint stream of light brushing through the dense curtains. Her breathing was better than it had been that night and she noticed the pain in her leg had gone down tremendously.

Slowly sitting up, she looked around for Arch. Had he left in the middle of the night? But he had wanted to ask questions... about what?

He smiled gently at her thanks, and shook feelings of appreciation. It was rare that Shadow Hunters, as himself, got a thanks even for the good work they did. People was scared of them. Being a Vampire, it didn't help. People couldn't get him away fast enough, afraid to even gaze in his eyes. And as he was bandaging her leg, his fingers touching her soft warm skin, the feelings from earlier grew even stronger. That longing, he couldn't quite explained. He grind it away with a clench of his teeth, staying focused at the work he was at.

And as she faded away, he sighed softly, still gazing out the window. He had a way of healing her, would she be unable. A way, he was hoping never to use. The blood of a Vampire, was one of the strongest potions in the world. But there was side effects, just like any drug. It might bound the drinker to the offerer's will. It might leave them addicted. And it might even overcome them, and kill them entirely. He didn't wish to use it. So hopes grew, that she was powerful enough to take care of herself this time.

Then in the morning, as she woke, Arch was still in the room, but stood in shadows of the light, away from the windows now. He stepped a bit closer so she could see him, before holding out a hand, encased in a glove, to shield him from the light. "I do not mean to sound rude. But may I ask for my cloak? Sunlight. Doesn't exactly work well with me." He explained, the hand showing in the light, starting to smoke slightly, even whilst still defended by the glove. Vampires, couldn't live in sunlight, without protection. Had he not worn the glove, his skin would already be boiling, even for the short moments exposure. However, that was the effect of his cloak. It had been imbued by an old enchanter, long passed away through means of old age. It had a protective shield, that kept anything bellow it, completely unaffected by sunlight.

Weather he got it or not, he continued his strange worry for the human. "How is the leg? Has the pain subsided?" He questioned, with a worried gaze, still enclosed in slight shadow from the sunlight, his body still starting to give out so much heat, that his being was almost smoking, a light fog stirring up around him. "Will you be capable of healing it, yourself?" He continued.

Seeing Arch hiding in the shadows shot a pang through her heart and she tossed the cloak to him without hesitation. She watched him with a steady gaze, her gray-blue eyes much more misty in the morning's light.

She tossed the blankets aside to take a look at the wound. "I can heal it," she said with the voice of a professional, conjuring up the magic within her as she pulled the bandages away. It was a simple enough spell, but the wound was deep. It took a few minutes for the skin to return to its natural state, but once it had, she let out a sigh. "That feels better."

Glancing to the dark figure, she asked, "Are you, um... hungry? I'm kind of starving." Her stomach gave a growl. "Ah, a bit, apparently."

As she threw him his cloak, he smiled with a thanks, throwing the cloak over his shoulders with a soft growl, shivering as the pain of the sun, subsided. Then as his eyes fell back to Skylar, he almost dropped into a trance, watching those beautiful eyes. As he slowly pulled the hood up, he realized what he was missing during the day. He usually staid in hiding during the days, but this beautiful sight was what he missed out, when doing so. The shine of a livings eyes, as the sun graced their face, with warmth and life. Again he cursed his existence, forcing him to hide from the days.

He walked towards her, as she removed the blankets, nodding a single time. He watched as she conjured up the spell, waiting patiently, as he observed her power. She was quite strong in the defensive arts. Healing and shield. This he knew now. But how strong was she offensively? Would she truly manage on her lonesome? His eyes narrowed a bit as his head tilt to the side, still wondering just why the Demon was after her. She wasn't that powerful, was she?

He snapped out of his own thoughts as she questioned him, gazing to those beautiful eyes again, gulping at the beautiful sight again. He got himself together, and smiled lightly bellow the dark hood, shaking his head a few times with the question. "I am not. I do not need the consumption of food. That's one perk of my creation, I suppose." He shortly gazed to her stomach with a chuckle, before looking back for her eyes. "However, let us indeed find you some food. There's a smaller, more decent kitchen on the other side of the street. I wouldn't suggest anyone to eat in this one." He said, nodding toward the door outwards, walking to it, to open it for Skylar. "Then I can ask you my questions, over your breakfast." He suggested, offering her to leave first.

Again surprised by his politeness, she stepped through the doorway. She was left wondering why a vampire couldn't eat, but didn't want to press the matter. For her sake or for his, she wasn't sure.

She had a few coin still, so getting a meal into her system wouldn't be a problem. As she clamored down the stairs, a cold sensation rubbed against her skin; when she looked to the entrance of the inn, she saw the Queen's Sorcerer duck inside the building. She swallowed hard, but refused to let the man see her discomfort.

Holding her head high, but checking to make sure Arch was still right behind her, she descended the steps. She hoped on passing the wizard by, but...

"Ah, Skylar Cavallo, there you are," the man said with voice that was as loud as thunder. "I have some questions for you."

She tried not to let her lip curl. Fist clenched, she turned to the man with a single brow raised. "Yes?" It was courtesy to bow to such a high ranking member of the Court, as everyone else in the establishment was in the process of doing, but she was much too tired and now, cranky, to sweep her skirts for this foul man. He'd been less than friendly yesterday at the scene of her master's death. The last thing she wanted was words with him.

The man walked to her and Arch, his eyes lingering on the red eyed man. Dressed in robes of various colors and stitching, it made the eyes hurt to look at, he wasn't as tall as the vampire, but he tried to puff out his chest as if to claim dominance. "Just what is in your company?" The words fell from his mouth in disdain.

Skylar's eyes tapered at the comment and her hands went to her hips. "Who I keep in my company isn't your business."

Something flashed behind the man's eyes and Skylar could only pin it as hatred. "I'm afraid that's not the way it works, little girl."

He did need to consume sustenance. But not through means of humans. But through humans, exactly. They needed blood, and he didn't want to freak her out, by drinking an animals blood, right in front of her. So he didn't explain it further, but just followed her close by, as they left the room, and head towards the stairs, and downwards. He had plenty of gold coins in pouches on his body, and even more in his hideout, so aquirering sustenance for her, would be no problem at all, even if she hadn't had anything. They could even afford a royal feast, should that be necessary. All he ever used his earnings for, was arrows. And even that, he sometimes crafted himself. So, in truth he didn't really need to take jobs, as a Shadow Hunter. Could just work without any quests. However. He liked shiny things.

Already before they neared the stairs, he could feel the silence of the bar, already knowing that the Queen's Sorcerer was on the way. So his eyes sought for the door, with a narrowed glance. And as soon as he entered, he sighed with a shake of his head in disdain. He knew the Queen's pawn, very well. He'd done jobs for the Royal Court a few times before, and had seen him. He was a well known Shadow Hunter. For good and for bad. And the Court, certainly wasn't a happy employer. They where hesitant to hire him, when ever they did. Especially after he refused a few assassination on human beings.

That thunderous voice, made the red storms of his eyes stir in a roll. Oh the desperate human attempt, to instill authority through words. Such a futile attempt, and he turned to gaze on the man, as Skylar did. He let the two exchange a few words, though happy to see that Skylar was also hesitant to answer him anything. And then when he was asked for, he slowly reached his hands for his hood, removing it as Skylar snapped back at him. "I'm afraid miss Skylar, doesn't in all truth have a choice in this company.. Wizard." Calling a Queen's Sorcerer by such a name, was a great offence, and his eyes now narrowed at the Queens pawn. The sun didn't hit his skin where he stood, having made sure of that. "Archibald Einhand Marchen. I believe you'd remember me. And I'll be throwing down the Shadow Order's code, and demand first audience with this woman. Afraid the Royal Court, will have to await their turn, this time. Unless. of course. You wish to go against the Code? Which seems like a rather bad idea, considering your.. Minor escort, on this day." He explained, with no signs of emotions on his face. The Shadow Order, was a long dead memory, of a greater time. Many even believed them to be a Myth. But once, the Shadow hunters, worked as keepers of peace as well. And a Code was created, where a Shadow Hunter could jump ahead of the Royal Court, and question prisoners and alike, before the Royalists could get their hands on them. This was once used to trash out corruption in the Court, but had now not been used in centuries. However. If one under Royal employ, decided to go against the Code, in the past the Shadow Hunter would be allowed to strike down this employee of the Court, and not be called for hanging for his murder. And through his reputation, he hoped the words of an old dead Code, could scare off the Courts pawns.

"Now. If you will excuse us." He ended, laying a hand around Skylar's waist, trying to lead her out of the door, as if a bodyguard, creating distance between her and an enemy, hoping the Royal Sorcerer wouldn't try to stop them, as he pulled his hood back on his head, before placing a hand on the sword in his belt, bellow the cloak.

Arch's reaction surprised and startled Skylar, but a part of her found an odd exhilaration at watching the Queen's second-hand be put in his place. No doubt he thought he was above keeping a heavy guard around, but there weren't often vampires in the capitol. The young girl tried to hide a smile as the man recoiled, even if slightly, and slung his robes around his heels as he moved from their path.

"This isn't the end," the sniffed with a nose in the air, mischief tugging at the edges of his lips. "I will be seeing you both again very soon."

Once they were outside, Skylar tried to piece together what Arch had threatened the wizard with. Realization dawned on her and she wondered how she had survived the night with, not just a vampire, but a Demon Hunter. And a high ranking one, at that.

He didn't seem all that scary...

She cast a glance at his ominous, lanky form and wondered why her heart stopped every time she caught sight of him. There was something about that lean body and red eyes that sent shivers to places of her body she'd long ago dismissed.

To take her mind off it, she said, "He'll be back, you know. He's got something up his sleeve and if bothering me will help him achieve it, he won't stop." She gave out a heavy sigh. Arch had just made an enemy; while she knew it was inevitable until she was on the man's list, she didn't like the idea of Arch's name being there as well.

The man's recoil, caused a soundless sigh to escape his lips. It would not have been the first time, he went against a Royal Court. That was his main reason why he traveled the far seas, to reach these lands instead. A deep corruption had spread in the lands he was created in, and he had tried to end it. he did also manage to assassinate the Master Summoner, who was controlling the Court. But nevertheless he was now seen as a traitor in those lands. The Master Summoner, had also been disguised as the Kings son. A fourteen year old kid. And he had to kill him. And that wasn't even the worst thing in his past he remembered clearly.

Quickly getting a grip of reality again, able to shrug shadows of his past away again, gazing back at the nosy nobleman. "I shall look forward to it, Sorcerer. Bring friends." He taunted with the same emotionless expression, before leading Skylar towards the kitchen he'd mentioned, with another soft sigh. He now made very sure, that every inch of him, where hidden inside the cloak. He removed his arm from around her, only to curl it inside his cloak with a slight sneer. He so hated this necessity.

He gazed towards her as she spoke, nodding a few times in agreement. "I know. As if Demons in the night, were not bad enough..." He grumbled with a slight grunting chuckle. He gazed back in front of himself, finally able to get his first, and biggest question forth. "What.. Would a Demon Lord, as powerful as the one you had the pleasure of meeting, last night.. Be wanting with an apprentice?" He asked, gazing lightly towards her gain, as they closed in on the kitchen. "Not to offend your abilities, but they normal hunt for much bigger prey." He continued, with a pondering face, before hiding it within his hood again, gazing at the dirt in front of them. "He still managed to desentegrate, even after having been struck by an Arc Missile. That.. Shouldn't be possible, not even by some Demon Lords. So clearly. It was a strong one."

The question made her uncomfortable-- because it plagued her as well. "I don't know," she said in honesty, eyes downcast. "My Master was killed almost twenty hours before. Do you think... he was killed by that demon?" She didn't ask the question that followed in her thoughts, And, if so, is it now after me? She still was trying to figure out why she hadn't been killed the night her master died. Why was she spared?

She wished she could look around the place. She hadn't gotten a chance to examine the evidence; the authorities were alerted almost immediately. She wasn't going to let her master's corpse turn cold while she searched the grounds. The last thing she needed was them thinking she was cleaning up evidence, so she had done the right thing.

Were they even looking in the right direction? She had little to no faith in the Queen's Sorcerer or his men.

They stepped into the kitchen and once the smell of warm food filled her nostrils, her stomach gave another protest of hunger. She clutched at it with an embarrassed smile. "Mmm, smells good in here," she said to ease the tension.

He gazed lightly towards her, but still eyes downwards, as she admitted to the missing knowledge. He was doubtful by nature, but he had a feeling she was telling the truth on that one. As powerful as she was, she remained an apprentice. And summoning Demon Lords, wasn't part of their arsenal. He'd seen it happen through accident, but never had someone doing so survived, nor had the Demon Lord staid for long, the apprentices unable to give them stable footing in this world. He nodded as his gazed dropped again, pondering the question he then was given.
"Hm. It's very possible. Perhaps. he even summoned it himself. If there was enough blood and gore to scar any mind seeing the sight, it probably was the Demon's doing." He spoke as if he was speaking to someone, he knew had to stomach to grasp such sights. He realized she just might, and regretted his words. Instead, he remained silent for a little while, as they entered the kitchen. But his mind kept racing with questions.

As they where well out of the light from the doorway, he pulled the hood from his head, gazing to her embarrassed smile, with a soft chuckle. "I imagine it does. Go ahead, and find us a table. Preferably somewhere, not right next to a window..." He added, chuckling softly, as he pushed the cloak back on his back, freeing his arms. "What would you like to eat?" He also asked, before letting her go entirely. "Being without housing, I'll donate a few coins for your breakfast. Don't make that a habit though." He chuckled lightly, reaching for another pouch in his belt, pushing his swords hilt a bit to the side.

She swallowed at his implication of her master summoning demons. Why would he be doing such a thing? Again, she wished to be able to see all the evidence for herself. She knew she'd see something they had skipped over. Surely.

"I wish I knew..."

Then they were discussing food and Skylar was grateful for the change of topic.

Did one tell a Demon Hunter no when he offered to pay for the meal? She wasn't sure, but leaned toward the negative. She accepted the offer with a cat-like smile and tilt of her head. Casting a glance to the buffet of food, she gave him a small list of what sounded best before searching for a table.

She found one tucked in the corner, cast in shadows from the structure of the building and its lamps. She grabbed a flask of water before taking a seat, grabbing two glasses. Knowing Arch didn't take food didn't mean he might need water.

Long fingers enclosed around the glass as she stared into the water. Where was her life going to go now? There was no place for her to go and there was likely a demon after her. What to do...

He nodded a single time at her words, showing how upset this whole mess had made her. It wouldn't be clear to everyone, but Arch knew. The sight of a Demon murder, was never a good one. And those who saw it, rarely got out with their mind in the right place. It was a hard thing to take it. And this discomfort that was clear in her, made him believe it was the Demon's doing. It had indeed killed her Master. Weather he summoned it, or not, he couldn't know yet. He would have to look through the crime scene. Even though the authorities probably ransacked it now, leaving little to no evidence behind. But he knew how to find clues, when it came to Demonic summoning ritual. How to search for the right scent, and the right glimpses.

He eyed over the things she suggested, nodding a few times, before placing a hand on her shoulder. "I'll find something." He comforted, before heading to see the man behind the bar, ordering every single thing she'd listed, even if it was far too much for just one person to eat. What did he know about human intake of food, afterall?

After ordering a few things, he head for the table in the corner, having ignored the few disgusted, and frightened glimpses he'd been sent on the way, having a seat on the chair, across the table from where she sat. He looked to the water, holding out a hand as a no thanks, before removing his gloves, and then pulling the bow and quiver from his back, as he spoke. "No thank you. Don't need to drink either." He explained, then starting to remove the cloak. "Well. Drink water, at least." He mumbled, more or less to himself, before finally resting his hands on the table, looking to her beautiful eyes again. "Well. Let's say. That your Master didn't summon it, but someone else did, in order to kill him. Who would do this? Did your Master have any enemies, that you know of?" He asked, his slightly less glowing eyes gazing to hers. During the day, the eyes dimmed in glow, just as his sight was diminished. He saw better during night.

Skylar's mouth watered at the platter of food before her. Having been poor most of her life, she'd never broken the habit of drooling over food-- nor shoveling it into her mouth. She did so now, bites and pieces of food flying dramatically. She only paused when Arch posed his question, making her skin go cold. "Sent to kill him...?" Was it possible her master had enemies she didn't know about?

Yes.

What he did in the late hours, working in his tower, the door locked, she had no idea. She knew he worked late and sleep little, if ever. There was more than one occasion when she'd gotten curious and tried to get close to the door, the edges shimmering with golden light. He'd set up precautions, of course, and she never got near it.

What had he been up to?

She swallowed another mouthful of food, very unladylike, and said, "Honestly... I don't know much of what he did when I wasn't around. He could have been doing anything. We weren't exactly close, so much as working together." She gave a light shrug. "I mean, I liked the guy, but I never got the feeling he chose me as a student because he thought well of me. I think it had to with my magic, if that makes sense..." She didn't really want to divulge more information-- that her powers were so immense, almost no one wanted to take her on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom