Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Crusader's Fall (Eirlys Vitae x stormwyrm)

stormwyrm

Moon
Jerusalem, April 13, 1186. Easter Sunday.

The bells tolled everywhere on this Easter morning as Sir Bertrand de Troussier made his way through the city. People everywhere gave him and his horse a wide berth. He was dressed in chain armour with a tunic emblazoned with the distinctive splayed Templar cross as he walked with his squire Lucas, who led his horse behind him. Bertrand was thirty years of age, fairly tall for the time at five feet and ten inches in height, and strong with the kind of strength that was developed by years of training and experience in battle. A scar ran across his left cheek that disappeared under his thick, blond beard, only one of many that went all over his body from his frequent participation in skirmishes against the Saracens.

He needed a new housekeeper after the last one had succumbed to smallpox, and so he was off to the slave markets to find a new one. He found the usual trader he and his fellow Templars frequented to obtain slaves and servants.

"Good morning Abdullah, how is business on this fine Easter day for you?"

"Very well indeed, Sir Bertrand. How may I help you?"

"I am in need of a new housekeeper. The last one you sold me took ill of the smallpox and died."

"I am sorry to hear that sir. The auction has just begun, as I am sure you see, but the girl that is coming up on the block should, I think, be perfect for needs."

The auction crier announced that the last slave had just been sold, and brought up a young woman. One look at her, and Bertrand knew she was the one, and he had to have her at any price.

Many were not pleased with the fact of kingdom's fate now being in the hands of the nine years old King Baldwin V. A lot of rebellions were being planned, just like every time the nation was not satisfied - actually it wasn't much about the young monarch as it was about his bailli, who actually possessed the biggest part of king's power. Everyone agreed it'd be better if boy's mother or his aunt ruled, but this was impossible without getting the kid out of everyone's way. Many of those plotters were already caught and beheaded, however a few groups still remained - the young woman named Fausta belonged to one of them.

Possessing a rather attractive looks, she was chosen to be the one to infiltrate into community of those, who were always close to the king and his family...Without being members of it - the obvious persistence would be immediately understood as a sly plan (it already happened to some, so the rest of the rebels no longer dared trying.. After all, it was a very silent, nearly unnoticeable rising.), so another tactics should be taken. The perfect targets for this mission were crusaders, but again, it was important to gain their trust at first. The poor savior of Christ's tomb had no ideas his favorite trader was one of the rebels, and Fausta's appearance as a slave was neatly planned - none had doubts she'll be brought by Sir Bertrand, and all mutineers were left to do is waiting for him to come again. Each day Fausta spent claiming to be a slave, patiently waiting for her indirect helper in crime to appear, and finally the day came.

"Don't worry.' Abdullah whispered into young blonde woman's ear while passing by. It didn't reduce stress a slightest bit - Fausta feared too much she might not success, and this would cost her colleague's life, too. Even though she was only twenty-four, death did not frighten her. In her slave disguise blonde hair were dirty and messy, all she wore was a dirty rag - coming from a poor family Fausta already had her bones sticking out, so it was quite convincing she was a slave. Also she knew how to clean and cook, in other words - she was pretty much all what for her unsuspecting victim was looking in a servant. Starting from her looks and ending by her skills - in any case, to get rid of the Baldwin, this young woman was ready to pay the sweetest price.

Someone else in the auction square was giving him a hard time, going from ten bezants to fifteen, then to twenty, and it was only when he finally reached fifty that the crier said she was sold. Abdullah gleefully received payment, counting out the coins with a smile. Bertrand couldn't shake the feeling that Abdullah intentionally drove up the price that way, but no matter. He felt that was a bargain anyhow, given that she was exactly the type he felt he wanted.

He led her down the streets of Jerusalem, Lucas leading his horse behind them. A dusty sirocco was beginning to pick up. They reached Bertrand's manor house, a building just right outside the royal palace from where Baldwin and his mother Sibylla ruled the kingdom.

"Now," he said to Fausta, "you will be staying in the small servant's room next to my own. Your duties, such as they are, will include cleaning my rooms and preparing my meals. You may ask my squire Lucas for help if you need anything. In a little while I will need to attend Easter Mass celebrated by the Patriarch of Jerusalem.

"You do not look like you have come from here, with your blond hair and pale skin. You seem like you might have come from southern France or perhaps Castile with that complexion. Would you perchance be Christian? If so, I would bring you with me to mass."

Back
Top Bottom